[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

@NinkyLove it! art work, story etc. I wish I could do the same art work. Are they based on particular models?  Software/Computer edited or hand drawn from scratch? 

I am a digital illustrator by trade so I actually work from an existing photo. I transformed this guy https://paintingvalley.com/chinese-boy-painting (second pic from left) to Bai Gun Gun, on the blog, https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home/post/the-big-chase.

I digitally airbrushed the hair to make it look ruffled and white :blush:. Also worked on colors and stuff.

Just received my books! YAY. Skimmed through it. Lotus Step is important because it tells the story of how Zu Ti returned. Spoiler below:

Spoiler

For those of you who know, Cheng Yu is Zu Ti, and Zu Ti was the one who sent Feng Jiu to the past. She has the ability to actually manipulate space and time. Only Zu Ti is able to wield this sort of magic and power. Even Di Jun can't. So this is her special ability, a dangerous one, which was why Lian Song was trying to find Zu Ti because of this ability she possesses. 

If it falls into the wrong hands, bad things will definitely happen.

• Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

13 minutes ago, Megan said:

Like that would stop his daughter. If she is really determined to have a boyfriend, she can have a secret one. If she wants to get married, pull a Dong Hua and get married before telling the parents.

Eh, but she's more interested with playmates who can rough it out with her, not boyfriends. Besides, in the story she's close to her father. She'll have standards such that if she'll have a secret lover, he'd be someone worth risking her father's disappointment that she didn't confide with him.

• Like 1

I'm -heavily- procrastinating on my work right now, so I sort of finished reading the book, so here are my spoiler summaries for both chapters 8 and 9 much sooner than I'd originally planned: 

Spoiler

Chapter 8:

• Three years before these events was Shaowan’s death (or you know, what they believe is her death)
  • DH has disappeared from the 13th Heaven, we find out that he went back to the Holy Blue Sea, and that he basically doesn’t want to be disturbed again, even if the world is threatening to collapse
  • Zheyan and DH have a conversation, Zheyan asks DH if he’s really resigned himself to loss, but then realizes that of course that’s not what’s actually happening, followed by the bit that Tangqi previously posted about DH and Zheyan that I translated already
  • DH was injured by a whip (by Fu Ying of course), Fei Wei is changing the dressing, then FJ hears that he is back and comes rushing over
  • DH tries to hide it, but FJ notices, and insists on seeing the wounds, Fei Wei leaves, we find out that the wound goes from his left shoulder to right waist, but DH doesn’t actually think it’s a big deal
    • FJ dresses his wound, they wind up kissing and then that snippet where Fei Wei stops BGG from entering the room occurs
  • Fei Wei agrees, yep, making up lessons is very important, and BGG (such a lovely and understanding child!) leaves

Chapter 9:

• FJ wakes up in Taichen Palace, realizes she is back in the present time
  • FJ tries to recall what happened next in the past time:
    • They’re going to Water Marsh School, DH very patiently explains something to FJ, Fei Wei basically tells FJ that if DH doesn’t think someone is smart enough, he won’t really talk to them, and this is the first time he’s seen DH so patiently explain something to anyone
    • This is construed as an insult to FJ by DH, who happened to overhear and sees it as sorting FJ into the category of “not smart enough,” so he punishes Fei Wei by making him copy “Learning the Art of Conversing With High God Zheyan” 30 times
    • It turns out that they are going to the Water Marsh School because DH wants to retrieve a formation that Shaowan drew that can rival his Heaven’s Beginning (Qian Yuan) formation because he anticipates another war happening (which does eventually happen when a demon lord finally manages to break his formation after 3,000 years)
    • They meet Moyuan there
    • They retrieve the formation and when FJ touches the box it’s being kept in, she is transported back to the present time
  • At this time, reminiscing is over, and DH walks in, asks her if she feels alright, FJ tells his that she doesn’t know if he’ll believe her, but she went back 260,000 years in time and met 140,000 years old DH
    • DH is not at all surprised and it’s because he travelled back in time too
  • So apparently, the way time travel works is that if someone from the present time travels back, they won’t be able to remember everything that happened after that time; essentially they will replace the themselves of that time (like Aranya’s Dream), so in DH’s instance, if he travels back he’ll replace the 140,000 years old him, but he won’t be able to remember anything that happens after that past time he goes back to (does that make sense?)
    • For this above reason, Zuti doesn’t really want to tell him because it to her it would be pointless because he wouldn’t be able to remember the present anyways, but of course DH doesn’t agree and insists on being sent back as well
    • And this is the reason why he is able to remember what happened during that time; he was sent back as well
    • So when FJ touched the box, all three of them, FJ, BGG, and DH, are all transported back to the present
  • Continuing on with their conversation: 
    • FJ says that she was originally a bit sad because she thought DH wouldn’t remember but it turns out that he does, and then asks him why he fell for her again, and so quickly, this time around; she’s also confused because she didn’t think it was because he had travelled back as well, because he didn’t recognize her
    • DH reminisces about the first time he saw her in Qingqiu, but this time, he remembers exactly what she looked like standing atop a wave on the Wangsheng Sea (as opposed to before, remember in the Pillow Book, it explicitly states he can’t remember the way she looked that first meeting?)
    • She tugs on his sleeve, brings him back from reminiscing, and he answers that he was drawn to her from the very beginning and “So even if we don’t know each other, as soon as I see you, I’d fall for you very quickly. No matter how many times, it would still be the same.”
    • FJ’s so happy, she starts crying
    • Description of the scenery

That's the end of the story, I really hope you're all as excited about the ending as I am! I really loved that twist that Tangqi introduced (bolded)!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I'm -heavily- procrastinating on my work right now, so I sort of finished reading the book, so here are my spoiler summaries for both chapters 8 and 9 much sooner than I'd originally planned: 

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 8:

• Three years before these events was Shaowan’s death (or you know, what they believe is her death)
  • DH has disappeared from the 13th Heaven, we find out that he went back to the Holy Blue Sea, and that he basically doesn’t want to be disturbed again, even if the world is threatening to collapse
  • Zheyan and DH have a conversation, Zheyan asks DH if he’s really resigned himself to loss, but then realizes that of course that’s not what’s actually happening, followed by the bit that Tangqi previously posted about DH and Zheyan that I translated already
  • DH was injured by a whip (by Fu Ying of course), Fei Wei is changing the dressing, then FJ hears that he is back and comes rushing over
  • DH tries to hide it, but FJ notices, and insists on seeing the wounds, Fei Wei leaves, we find out that the wound goes from his left shoulder to right waist, but DH doesn’t actually think it’s a big deal
    • FJ dresses his wound, they wind up kissing and then that snippet where Fei Wei stops BGG from entering the room occurs

Ehm hot scene here actually.

• Fei Wei agrees, yep, making up lessons is very important, and BGG (such a lovely and understanding child!) leaves
  •  

Poor man feels guilty as hell though.

That's the end of the story, I really hope you're all as excited about the ending as I am! I really loved that twist that Tangqi introduced (bolded)!

41 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Chapter 9:

• They’re going to Water Marsh School, DH very patiently explains something to FJ, Fei Wei basically tells FJ that if DH doesn’t think someone is smart enough, he won’t really talk to them, and this is the first time he’s seen DH so patiently explain something to anyone
    • This is construed as an insult to FJ by DH, who happened to overhear and sees it as sorting FJ into the category of “not smart enough,” so he punishes Fei Wei by making him copy “Learning the Art of Conversing With High God Zheyan” 30 times
    • It turns out that they are going to the Water Marsh School because DH wants to retrieve a formation that Shaowan drew that can rival his Heaven’s Beginning (Qian Yuan) formation because he anticipates another war happening (which does eventually happen when a demon lord finally manages to break his formation after 3,000 years)
    • They meet Moyuan there
    • They retrieve the formation and when FJ touches the box it’s being kept in, she is transported back to the present time
  • At this time, reminiscing is over, and DH walks in, asks her if she feels alright, FJ tells his that she doesn’t know if he’ll believe her, but she went back 260,000 years in time and met 140,000 years old DH
  • So apparently, the way time travel works is that if someone from the present time travels back, they won’t be able to remember everything that happened after that time; essentially they will replace the themselves of that time (like Aranya’s Dream), so in DH’s instance, if he travels back he’ll replace the 140,000 years old him, but he won’t be able to remember anything that happens after that past time he goes back to (does that make sense?)
    • For this above reason, Zuti doesn’t really want to tell him because it to her it would be pointless because he wouldn’t be able to remember the present anyways, but of course DH doesn’t agree and insists on being sent back as well
    • And this is the reason why he is able to remember what happened during that time; he was sent back as well
    • So when FJ touched the box, all three of them, FJ, BGG, and DH, are all transported back to the present
    • FJ says that she was originally a bit sad because she thought DH wouldn’t remember but it turns out that he does, and then asks him why he fell for her again, and so quickly, this time around; she’s also confused because she didn’t think it was because he had travelled back as well, because he didn’t recognize her
    • DH reminisces about the first time he saw her in Qingqiu, but this time, he remembers exactly what she looked like standing atop a wave on the Wangsheng Sea (as opposed to before, remember in the Pillow Book, it explicitly states he can’t remember the way she looked that first meeting?)
    • She tugs on his sleeve, brings him back from reminiscing, and he answers that he was drawn to her from the very beginning and “So even if we don’t know each other, as soon as I see you, I’d fall for you very quickly. No matter how many times, it would still be the same.”

Translation team will be doing the word for word translation for the whole novella :D. Something to look forward to :D. And yes Zu Ti had already returned in this outtake. That's why Lian Song was able to tell DH about the son accidentally going back in time as well. HInt: obviously those two are together finally as well. Thats the other spoiler TQ has said about Lotus Step.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I thought that was in terms of sword fighting 

Indeed. Raw power, Zu Ti's main thing is her ability to manipulate time. It's a dangerous ability. Double edged sword time travelling is.

Ohhh there are some interesting tidbits in the outtake. You will understand this when we get to translating the novella in detail. Oh la la stuff. In true Tang Qi version she writes it in tongue and cheek, teasing style. 

• Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

@UnluckyWhiteCat LOL, I'm glad DH was cordial with the time traveling, given some comments about Lian Song telling Zu Ti how much DH dotes on FJ. :lol: Thanks so much again for the spoilers. 

Spoiler
3 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Fei Wei has future grandchild Zhong Lin to thank! ^_^

Spoiler

DH is not at all surprised and it’s because he travelled back in time too

There's the twist! And I so adore this twist! :wub:

He will always follow the one he gifted half of his heart.

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

Translation team will be doing the word for word translation for the whole novella :D. Something to look forward to :D. And yes Zu Ti had already returned in this outtake. That's why Lian Song was able to tell DH about the son accidentally going back in time as well. HInt: obviously those two are together finally as well. Thats the other spoiler TQ has said about Lotus Step.

Thank you all in advance! :wub:

@Megan ah yeah, I'm remembering that too now, that's in terms of their fighting skills. On power, the ancients are all very talented and have their own, unique expertise.

• Love 3

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

ah yeah, I'm remembering that too now, that's in terms of their fighting skills. On power, the ancients are all very talented and have their own, unique expertise.

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Indeed. Raw power, Zu Ti's main thing is her ability to manipulate time. It's a dangerous ability. Double edged sword time travelling is.

From what I recall, Dong Hua’s own unique sorcery is creation or destruction.

so time vs creation/destruction. Which is more powerful?

So technically nobody in the past remembers their visitors from the future....?

• Like 1

well time travel has many implications. It's not something to take lightly.

Paradoxes etc.

It’s why Zhu Ti is called a 光神, (time goddess). As in chinese, time is called 时光, hence the 光 here denotes time rather than light.

The light energy from which she is born allows her to manipulate time and space, allowing time travel.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 8:

Chapter 9:

• They meet Moyuan there

I love how you procrastinated. So lucky for us you summarized the book.

You answered many of my questions. I figured DH would never willingly stay behind and would risk anything to be there for FJ.

The one point that the drama highlighted well was, as soon as DH made eye contact with FJ, he was a goner. It's nice how he can acknowledge that. I sometimes doubt FJ realise how much she means to DH.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

In the outtake there are also plenty of exciting information about up and coming characters, such as Zhu Ti and the remaining ancients that will awaken shortly as well. Very exciting indeed!

From briefly skimming through, Dong Hua has also kicked the habit of keeping things from Feng Jiu. Seems like he now tells her everything, even taking pains to explain things she don't quite understand due to her young age. Nice to see the relationship mature so much in the outtake. It has been quite a while since PB ended at this point as Zhu Ti is back and is already paired with Lian Song. 

They don't even refer to her as Cheng Yu anymore, rather by her real persona Zhu Ti.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm looking forward to Tianjun Hao De's reaction once he learns who was Zu Ti! B)

We don’t get a book description when he learns Su Su was Bai Qian... shame

We all know Bai Qian beats Xuan Nu and Su Jin at magic.

but between Feng Jiu, Jiheng and Zhihe, who is best at magic?

37 minutes ago, Megan said:

We don’t get a book description when he learns Su Su was Bai Qian... shame

We all know Bai Qian beats Xuan Nu and Su Jin at magic.

but between Feng Jiu, Jiheng and Zhihe, who is best at magic?

Feng Jiu learned from Zhe Lan, Bai Qian, and Bai Zhen not to mention later from DH. 

Ji Heng studied some water magic.

Zhihe is also water /rain magic but both didnt train seriously in it.

(at least from what I saw in the series. Is there main Pillow Book Eng. translation?)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Romulan said:

Feng Jiu learned from Zhe Lan, Bai Qian, and Bai Zhen not to mention later from DH. 

Ji Heng studied some water magic.

Zhihe is also water /rain magic but both didnt train seriously in it.

(at least from what I saw in the series. Is there main Pillow Book Eng. translation?)

Don’t forget that Feng Jiu also messed up a sleeping spell and correction spell 

35 minutes ago, Megan said:

Her sleeping spell(s) would be ineffective to DH. :lol: Her sloppy correction magic could only fool those with lesser magic than hers, that's why Xi Ze DH fixed it for her in Aranya's dream. FJ makes a decent handkerchief though, but again, someone with much more cultivation than hers could pierce the enchantment. She is also still a schoolgirl, compared to Zhi He who's at least twice more her age and Ji Heng.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Megan said:

Well Both of those stupid women are a lot older than this baby fox. The older you are, the more cultivation you can amass. When baby fox gets to the age of those two women, her magic will have surpassed them both. And her entire clan are high gods/goddesses so she will ascend eventually.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1