[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Also, while the Dream Junuo was represented as crueler than her real counterpart, do you think the Dream Changdi was also the same? Could the real Changdi have been not as bad?

Junuo outside the dream has matured and has seen the error of her ways when young.

Aranya's dream spans Aranya's life, so most of what happened, happened. Even though after FJ's arrival some things changed a bit. Overall "the play out" of the dream was still her life. So, I'd say the sisters were portrayed the way they were.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

7 hours ago, Megan said:

junuo asking Xize to check on his wife shows that there is some kernel of goodness in her.

That's one instant that she's doing the right thing. DH Xi Ze was not at all informed FJ Aranya was being tried by Xiangli Que for her mischief. Which is very telling, since Xi Ze, the husband, is there but they didn't want him to know what's being done with his wife.

7 hours ago, Megan said:

you know, for a guy who likes Changdi because Qinghua hates him less once she was born, the emperor totally ignores his wife in the fire.

Xiangli Que murdered his brother to get the throne and sister-in-law Qinghua. But I think he only really genuinely liked Changdi. Changdi is also so much like him having fatricidal tendencies.

7 hours ago, Megan said:

i am so angry at Dong Hua, Shen Ye and Moye. Seriously....after losing their beloved once, are they honestly not going to check in on Feng Jiu??? Shen Ye, you know the royal family is despicable and this is your own world, couldn’t you have done something?!!! There isn’t even a strict script to follow.

Dong Hua, you already admitted you didn’t give Feng Jiu’s safety enough consideration when your protection cage failed to protect her from pythons. Are you still being careless in securing her safety? Moye; you didn’t even search the dungeons.... some help you are.

Shen Ye and Su Moye were following how it happened the first time. Though since it's now FJ there, there are changes like the punishments meted to her.

Su Moye was also attempting to run his own agenda. Not thinking properly of what will happen to him if FJ was harmed because he didn't want FJ and DH to meet yet (previously), or not take care of her as she masquerades as Aranya.

Shen Ye was still holding back even if he noticed how Aranya is now being defended by Xi Ze and Su Moye, and she wasn't aware of him anymore.

The Tiancang cage of DH does not follow or match FJ's movements as fast as she makes them. That's mentioned in the book, and depicted correctly in the drama. 

In the dream arc he did try to plead for Aranya as well to Xiangli Que, but the king and and the Queen were adamant to punish Aranya. Xi Ze, Xiangli He, Su Moye asked clemency but were refused. If an archmage  husband, crown prince brother, prince/master couldn't sway him? He really meant it for Changdi's revenge.

The King assured SMY and DH she's just in a stone cage to reflect on her mistakes. In that case, they can't undermine the authority of the monarch by insisting to check Aranya.

The fire was a blessing in disguise in more ways than one. Otherwise, FJ could have still been in the serpentine cage for more days.

6 hours ago, Megan said:

Also, while the Dream Junuo was represented as crueler than her real counterpart, do you think the Dream Changdi was also the same? Could the real Changdi have been not as bad?

Junou changed her ways after the death of Aranya. She had seen the madness brought on by Qinghua's hatred and the seeds of destruction sown by Xiangli Que.

Like what Su Moye said in Ep38, the hearts of Aranya's siblings and parents are the constant in the dream arc. So real Changdi is mean in the dream arc because she really was. Junou was also resentful, but later on matured and became wiser. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The King assured SMY and DH she's just in a stone cage to reflect on her mistakes. In that case, they can't undermine the authority of the monarch by insisting to check Aranya.

Since when does Dong Hua care for authority? They should have still visited her. 

59 minutes ago, Megan said:

Since when does Dong Hua care for authority? They should have still visited her. 

He was not Dong Hua Di Jun in the dream arc, he is Xi Ze Tara. He and SMY can not give out the game too early that they are not who they are.

Aranya FJ is not in a very good position even if she was the wife of Xi Ze. She was not even safe with Shen Ye.

This is implied, but when Xiangli Que said that she's reflecting on what she did wrong, he also meant that Su Moye and Xi Ze should let her be as she pays her penance.  He also said that is the rule. So it's more or less, "enough, don't discuss it anymore". A visit is out of question unless he actually says they can.

That doesn't apply to the favourite daughter Changdi who can come and go the dungeons.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Currently watching episode 38....Dong Hua doesn’t look happy that Moye insists on accompanying Feng Jiu.

me thinks he wanted to visit Feng Jiu while she was alone then.

but what was with the branch snapping thing? The petals I get. But not the branch.

Oh, Su Moye you are in trouble! You actually dared not to help the first emperor by telling him about Feng Jiu....pretty gutsy. Foolish and suicidal, but gutsy.

and Dong Hua is smiling at him...what bad luck will Moye face?

• Like 1

Oh, Su Moye you are in trouble! You actually dared not to help the first emperor by telling him about Feng Jiu....pretty gutsy. Foolish and suicidal, but gutsy.

when Shen Ye suggests hosting a meteor party, im surprised he can behave so cordially and even smile at the cruel emperor. I can’t even tell whether he is acting or not...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Currently watching episode 38....Dong Hua doesn’t look happy that Moye insists on accompanying Feng Jiu.

but what was with the branch snapping thing? The petals I get. But not the branch.

That's ep39 when DH snapped the branch after listening to FJ's sentiments and views where he's concerned. 

Snapping the branch meant he can not remain stoic nor indifferent anymore when it comes to FJ. By this time he already feels.

What she and SMY were saying were raw and honest. And perhaps DH feels guilty too that instead of being more caring, he did not think much of her safety and well-being. FJ was in Fanyin Valley in the first place because he brought her with him to Mt Fuyu for his duel with XY.

At least it wasn't SMY's neck he's breaking like a pencil! :lol: Next episodes will be very interesting for SMY. All smiles of DH when he came to his room and when he left are not reassuring. :D

7 minutes ago, Megan said:

when Shen Ye suggests hosting a meteor party, im surprised he can behave so cordially and even smile at the cruel emperor. I can’t even tell whether he is acting or not...

The dream has been repeated several times for three hundred years as he collects the primordial spirit of Aranya. 

Shen Ye had lots of practice.  And it's still a reality even now that you have to put a neutral or cordial demeanor when you are in public while interacting with someone, specially when they outrank you. No matter what you actually feel.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Finished episode 39

”I will roast fish!” Moye’s déclaration made me laugh.

i was looking forward to what Dong Hua’s smile might mean for Moye...until I learned that he was just in charge of Feng Jiu. Kind of disappointed. What happened to bad things happening when Dijun smiles?

i totally relished how Dong Hua hears Feng Jiu admits what a disappointment he is. About time he realizes he messed up.

i enjoyed the Xiao Yan and Jielu interaction, until he left her limping to go look for Jiheng. :(

10 hours ago, Megan said:

i was looking forward to what Dong Hua’s smile might mean for Moye...until I learned that he was just in charge of Feng Jiu. Kind of disappointed. What happened to bad things happening when Dijun smiles?

Patience. The "bad luck" doesn't have to happen right then right now. That is not the worst SMY has done...yet. -_-

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megan said:

It implies even though DH may look calm on the surface, but he was greatly impacted hearing FJ disclosure and he lost some self control.  

4 hours ago, Megan said:

DH is a strategic person. He will patiently lay out the trap and wait for the target to fall. So SMY's suffering is coming.

Regarding the fish. I think to some extent it can be seen as degrading. SMY is a prince and also Aranya's teacher. From that perspective he shouldn't be serving her. Realistically, DH could have instructed Chacha to cook and SMY add the blood to the food.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

In the middle of the episode, Moye passes a letter to the emperor written to Moye by Changdi. What was written in the letter if not the forged one?

I can hardly tell Dong Hua looks angry by the sisters’ trickery. And what does he mean by acting perfect?

Um...did Dong Hua actually intend for Junuo to die? I mean, she isn’t a real person, and he certainly seemed surprised that Feng Jiu interfered.

Finished episode 40....why did Moye say that it was because of Xize and Aranya that Junuo’s illicit affair was discovered?

and I repeat, isn’t exile for breaking a lamp kinda harsh? I mean, it’s good that the sisters will finally be out of the way, but the exile thing makes no sense

This is the face that encouraged the pretty lad to also try his luck after years of beauties getting thrown out of this deity's bed.

Spoiler

y5R9CAW.jpg

Pretty lad, we understand. We also think he's beautiful. 

Is it possible that Su Moye doesn't know that when Dong Hua smiles, it generally meant someone will be having some bad luck?

This smirk:

oHlWRrn.jpg

That slight smile:

BdipQNv.jpg

That slight smile with now narrowed eyes:

dYefnQV.jpg

Tsk tsk. Su Moye was bowing. He didn't see.

Spoiler

The run for the hills smile.

qsbPK9i.jpg

Source: ELOD Ep39 (screenshots by poster)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 2

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Is it possible that Su Moye doesn't know that when Dong Hua smiles, it generally meant someone will be having some bad luck?

I was biting my nails watching those scenes! :w00t: Su Moye Su Moye, thou willst soon know.... 

But DH's smile is so very very....... :wub: 

• LOL 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

10 hours ago, Megan said:

Seeing Junuo try to get Shen He’s attention, I almost feel sorry for her.

and I am also reminded of Zhihe and Dong Hua....

Junou was not who he wanted to be engaged to.

9 hours ago, Megan said:

In the middle of the episode, Moye passes a letter to the emperor written to Moye by Changdi. What was written in the letter if not the forged one?

I can hardly tell Dong Hua looks angry by the sisters’ trickery. And what does he mean by acting perfect?

It's what Su Moye told the Xiangli Que: he received a letter supposedly written by Aranya, asking him to visit early in the morning. But since Su Moye is the writing master of Aranya, he knows the handwriting of the princess very well to detect the slight differences to that of the person who tried to mimic the way she writes.

Acting perfect - act normally like SMY didn't know the ploy of the sisters, and be that well-bred West Sea second prince in front of Xiangli Que.

8 hours ago, Megan said:

Um...did Dong Hua actually intend for Junuo to die? I mean, she isn’t a real person, and he certainly seemed surprised that Feng Jiu interfered.

He probably knows what happened that time, and was fairly certain that Shen Ye is enough. He is surprised because he told Su Moye to take care of Feng Jiu - not make her take part in saving Junou like Aranya did in the past. Dong Hua was incensed when the white tiger almost mauled Xiao Bai.

AliQAk.gif

Source: ELOD Ep41 (screenshot gif by poster)

DH wanted FJ safe and unhurt. Her Aranya family wants her dead. Defying the execution orders will not win her brownie points from Xiangli Que, and Qinghua will not be grateful that she saves her favourite daughter. Even Junou wasn't grateful, was she? She told Shen Ye Aranya saved her so that she can imprison the archmage in her residence.

8 hours ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 40....why did Moye say that it was because of Xize and Aranya that Junuo’s illicit affair was discovered?

Junou was more closely watched after she and Changdi tried to implicate Aranya of having illicit affair with SMY. Thus, her pregnancy wasn't because she's pregnant with the next archmage, she is because she had an affair with her writing master.  Note that the archmages are from conceptions without a sire. 

SMY's narration mentioned that Junou's illicit affair pregnancy gave the chance to Xiangli Que to get her killed since she is not his daughter.

8 hours ago, Megan said:

and I repeat, isn’t exile for breaking a lamp kinda harsh? I mean, it’s good that the sisters will finally be out of the way, but the exile thing makes no sense

IMO, the question should be what kind of lamp did Changdi break, such that even if she was the most favoured child, she was exiled? Was it broken beyond repair? How did she break it? If purposely, then she has to be disciplined. If it was a very rare lamp, a treasure of the clan, or it is a one of a kind lamp creation, and she knows the importance of the lamp but still managed to break it whether by purpose or accident? She deserves being exiled.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

It's what Su Moye told the Xiangli Que: he received a letter supposedly written by Aranya, asking him to visit early in the morning. But since Su Moye is the writing master of Aranya, he knows the handwriting of the princess very well to detect the slight differences to that of the person who tried to mimic the way she writes.

But he said that the letter he handed to the emperor was from Changdi...not Aranya.

32 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Junou was more closely watched after she and Changdi tried to implicate Aranya of having illicit affair with SMY. Thus, her pregnancy wasn't because she's pregnant with the next archmage, she is because she had an affair with her writing master.  Note that the archmages are from conceptions without a sire. 

I’m guessing they caught her with her lover....

anyway thanks for explaining. :)

• Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

I was biting my nails watching those scenes! :w00t: Su Moye Su Moye, thou willst soon know.... 

But DH's smile is so very very....... :wub: 

DH the reluctant heartthrob. From demon realm to Jiuchongtian.

:Megalol:

But really SMY, what made you "think" DH will tolerate anything that may harm FJ just because she was in Aranya's body?

14 minutes ago, Megan said:

But he said that the letter he handed to the emperor was from Changdi...not Aranya.

SMY said he has another letter from Changdi. In this scene Changdi was half accusing SMY to her father, which was already a give away. Whether it is the Changdi pretending to be Aranya letter or the Changdi letter to SMY that he handed over, Xiangli Que recognized the handwriting as that of Changdi.

14 minutes ago, Megan said:

I’m guessing they caught her with her lover....

They would have noticed that something isn't right with her and her master. What's galling was Qinghua actually blamed Shen Ye for Junou having an affair with someone. 

• Like 3