[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Just started episode 2. Another reason why Jiheng clearly isn’t the one who loves Dong Hua the most, despite her vain belief.

while everyone else are concerned about the lighting and lights emitted from Aranya’s Dream. Jiheng stays at home, too frightened to leave to even check on Dong Hua’s status.

and that reminds me...the only reason she entered the lotus prison was because Nie Chuyin guilt tripped her.

And I know I’ve asked this question before, but was the name taboo finally gone when the eternal winter was lifted?

I do enjoy Dong Hua’s behavior and childish expressions. From suave kisser to thumb fiddling. It’s adorable.

i relished in the apologizes Moye and Dong Hua gives Feng Jiu. Though I was a bit bitter Moye gave Feng Jiu her new assignment so soon. It seems only right he wrote the letters, especially since he’s the one who read them and taught Aranya handwriting.

Note Dong Hua made 3 promises to a Feng Jiu that he will inevitably break: he promised to explain everything once they were out of the dream, he promised to take her to Qingqiu straightaway. He promised to never hurt her again.

and yet in a later episode, Dong Hua refuses to make a promise regarding their future happiness. Instead he promises Feng Jiu freedom. This is because he actually knows he might die.

i admit it disappointed Feng Jiu returned to being stuck in love over Dong Hua. I enjoyed their fireside conversation because she was willing to be close to a Dong Hua but showed doubt. But all of a sudden, she is happily thinking of their romantic relationship. What happened to doubting him? Are the doubts so quickly forgotten???

and here, DongFeng actually talk casually, different from when they were in the real Fanyin Valley.

8 hours ago, Megan said:

Why is she blindfolded?

The artist combined Ep32 and Ep44 :naughty:

3 hours ago, Megan said:

And I know I’ve asked this question before, but was the name taboo finally gone when the eternal winter was lifted?

Once the actual story unfolded it probably was. Junou was already soft with Jielu when she was telling her that in their generation, she doesn't want them to have that love misfortune Shen Ye, Aranya, and her went through. 

2 hours ago, Megan said:

Why can’t Dilireba sing the lullaby using her own voice? Not that the current lullaby isn’t lovely, I’m just curious since Dilireba is already a good singer.

So somebody else did? If might be for matching the singing voice to the dubbing voice. Similar to what they did in some animated films - Aladdin,  Pocahontas, Mulan. 

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Though I was a bit bitter Moye gave Feng Jiu her new assignment so soon. It seems only right he wrote the letters, especially since he’s the one who read them and taught Aranya handwriting.

DH himself mentioned to Su Moye that the dream realm is dangerous, and they've to leave soon. Speeding up the events would be one way to do that.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Note Dong Hua made 3 promises to a Feng Jiu that he will inevitably break: he promised to explain everything once they were out of the dream, he promised to take her to Qingqiu straightaway. He promised to never hurt her again.

Feng Jiu and her primordial spirit were injured by Miao Luo when they were leaving the dream realm. When he made that promise to himself, she just got back to her body. The situation changed again in which she was unconscious and the night owl and biyiniao clans must evacuate.

As for going back to Qing Qiu right away, again he did not because FJ got busy making her sword case. Also, he had asked her when would they go to Qing Qiu to meet her elders. FJ is reluctant to bring him there and it's in her blurted answer. You know why, she gave all the reasons at Ep34 and Ep35.

As for not hurting, he was doing his best, what he thought best for her. Remember, he's also learning as this is the first time too that he falls for someone. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Megan said:

and yet in a later episode, Dong Hua refuses to make a promise regarding their future happiness. Instead he promises Feng Jiu freedom. This is because he actually knows he might die.

IMO he's  being realistic. He knows his responsibilities. Frankly, any couple would want happiness,  but what DH told ZY is true: it is a hollow promise that he can assure her of having a peaceful and happy life with him. 

Just look around. Many couples who may have everything imaginable aren't always happy.

The freedom promise is actually a very sincere and a very generous gift of love. He's letting her grow as she wants to, he supports her with her endeavours. 

Many couples break up because one partner stifles the other or each other. They want to change the ways of the other, or they refuse the other to explore different avenues just because it runs against their own beliefs and views.

What's the point of DH marrying FJ if he'll just be treating her somewhat like Bai Yi does i.e. parent/guardian substitute? DH is confident of the capabilities of his wife. He knew that by giving her freedom, she'll bloom to her full potentials. DH sees her as his equal, and freedom to be as she is is the best gift he can give her, sign of how much he loves her for who she is.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

i admit it disappointed Feng Jiu returned to being stuck in love over Dong Hua. I enjoyed their fireside conversation because she was willing to be close to a Dong Hua but showed doubt. But all of a sudden, she is happily thinking of their romantic relationship. What happened to doubting him? Are the doubts so quickly forgotten???

Dong Hua has explained himself as much as he is able to for a recluse and someone who doesn't talk much. 

Feng Jiu accepted that, and anyhow he was there too in the dream realm for her. 

She doesn't hold on to grudges. Feng Jiu has learnt that lesson well. What happened to Bai Qian and Ye Hua has surely taught FJ the agony of regrets after wasting time apart due to her aunt's anger.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

and here, DongFeng actually talk casually, different from when they were in the real Fanyin Valley.

They are more free in the dream realm to talk since they are Xi Ze and Aranya who are husband and wife. Unlike in Fanyin Valley wherein they still have to follow decorum, even if it's obvious to almost everyone that they're smitten with each other.

• Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a crazy scenario.

say BQ or FJ are having a deadly birthing time. And Zhe Yan decrees that only the mother or child can survive. BQ and FJ choose to save their child and say it outloud. Question is; will their husbands respect their decisions?

Currently watching episode 43. I really admire the maids of the 三生三世 universe. They are so...proactive. Aranya’s Butler even went to the trouble of asking about Shen Ye’s diet.

It’s a shame that the villains also have villainous maids. Just look at Su Jin and....what was her name? ...

i actually feel sorry for Xuan Nu’s maids. They did as she asked them to, and she had them sentenced to death. No wonder she ends up alone.

Even Moye is not excluded from witnessing Dong Hua’s casual manners.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Megan said:

Question based off Eternal Love.

remembering the interaction between Lian Song and Su Jin, i am confused. Does the emperor’s concubine have a higher position than a prince?

Hao De married Su Jin, so she's not a concubine but a consort,  a wife of the father of Lian Song. 

10 hours ago, Megan said:

Here is a crazy scenario.

say BQ or FJ are having a deadly birthing time. And Zhe Yan decrees that only the mother or child can survive. BQ and FJ choose to save their child and say it outloud. Question is; will their husbands respect their decisions?

No, they will not. 

8 hours ago, Megan said:

There is also one thing I’m confused about. Heaven is called 9 layer sky. But the pillow book mentions like 30+ layers so I’m confused.

Jiuchongtian may mean nine heavens, but the 1st-36th skies in TPB are likely what celestials would call the different areas and locations in their kingdom.

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Currently watching episode 43. I really admire the maids of the 三生三世 universe. They are so...proactive. Aranya’s Butler even went to the trouble of asking about Shen Ye’s diet.

It’s a shame that the villains also have villainous maids. Just look at Su Jin and....what was her name? ...

i actually feel sorry for Xuan Nu’s maids. They did as she asked them to, and she had them sentenced to death. No wonder she ends up alone.

Even Moye is not excluded from witnessing Dong Hua’s casual manners.

Good and well-trained servants don't work only when supervised and asked to. They would not hesitate to take the initiative of being gracious hosts in honor of their master/mistress. Many of them are not considered servants but are friends and family members.

Su Jin's personal attendant is Xinnu.

Xuan Nu is murderous and was devoid of humanity in the first place.

Dong Hua is usually formal and cold, but if you noticed, he doesn't have airs on who and what he is. Much like FJ who doesn't broadcast her being a real princess, not even to XY.

• Insightful 1

19 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Hao De married Su Jan, so she's not a concubine but a consort,  a wife of the father of Liam Song. 

I’m confused. I thought that other than being the main wife (empress) all other wives are concubines=consorts.

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Jiichongtian may mean nine heavens, but the 1st-36th skies in TPB are likely what celestials would call the different areas and locations in their kingdom

?????Then why not just call the place 36 Sky?

finished episode 43. I admit I admire Dong Hua and Shen He’s performance here....until the end when Dong Hua called Xiao Bai’s name like he was going to scold her rather than take her out on a date.

Dong Hua, are you so insecure to be jealous just because Moye got toffees too?

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I’m confused. I thought that other than being the main wife (empress) all other wives are concubines=consorts.

No. Consorts are not concubines. The dictionary itself would expound the meaning and differences between the two.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Then why not just call the place 36 Sky?

Isn't nine the auspicious number for the Chinese? 

You can check an explanation about authors' preference of nine heavens and its significance from here.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Dong Hua, are you so insecure to be jealous just because Moye got toffees too?

The toffee was promised to Dong Hua in the first place.  He's just taking back what's his. LMAO. Was it you @SilverDawn who posted this before? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MayanEcho I believe I did. It's one of my favorite scenes! I can't help but laugh out loud everytime I watch that scene- the look on poor SMY's face :lol: 

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

You can check an explanation about authors' preference of nine heavens and its significance from here.

Thanks for the link! I didn't know there was this much meaning behind it. :)

• LOL 1

43 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

It's one of my favorite scenes! I can't help but laugh out loud everytime I watch that scene- the look on poor SMY's face 

When DH smiled widely on Chacha's explanation that SMY really only have 5 as FJ intended...we know what happens when DH smiles. :lol:

Net would be broken if there was a scene like that included in the final cut. 

:winkx:

• LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

41 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

When DH smiled widely on Chacha's explanation that SMY really only have 5 as FJ intended...we know what happens when DH smiles. :lol:

That smile... so so dangerous. A smile only FJ and BGG can actually enjoy without fear... others should run for the hills! :D 

Vengo did such an amazing job! So much was in the eyes, the smile... just briliant. Re-watching many scenes I start to notice and appreciate it more and more.

41 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Net would be broken if there was a scene like that included in the final cut. 

They know.. we know... he knows... 

The Pillow Book Eternal Love Of Dream GIF - ThePillowBook  EternalLoveOfDream DongHua - Discover & Share GIFs

• LOL 1
  • Love 1