[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Awake. 
now I can actually draw some similarities between the hateful sisters

Changdi reminds me of Zhihe: spoilt and appealing to those in authority. Only Changdi has a really annoying whiny voice.

Junuo is more like Su Jin or Jiheng. She doesn’t strike directly at her victim but instead plays the victim and tries to appear merciful towards her target.

• Like 4

On 10/2/2020 at 4:49 PM, MayanEcho said:

The BGM for this scene is my favourite of all officially released...sigh...Aranya arc remains a cry fest for me even now.

I've read the first batch a few days ago via Google translate. Give it a try!  It was close enough to the shared translation. I forgot about it until some greetings of Mid Autumn Festival. :)

The BGM for that scene is epic. 

'The girl on the bridge" is another one that pulls the heart string. ELOD have great BGM overall.

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Awake. 
now I can actually draw some similarities between the hateful sisters

Changdi reminds me of Zhihe: spoilt and appealing to those in authority. Only Changdi has a really annoying whiny voice.

Junuo is more like Su Jin or Jiheng. She doesn’t strike directly at her victim but instead plays the victim and tries to appear merciful towards her target.

Changdi's voice is high and whiny. It makes her character even more annoying.

This is random, but I found the actress that played Junuo very pretty. The saving grace is Junuo did eventually learn from her mistakes. Not sure if Su Jin and Jiheng will get to that point.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChibiLy said:

This is random, but I found the actress that played Junuo very pretty. The saving grace is Junuo did eventually learn from her mistakes. Not sure if Su Jin and Jiheng will get to that point.

Su Jin had been punished for a very long time. And with every reincarnation, she forgets her past misdeeds, and is destined for more tragedy. So I don’t think she will learn yet, not anytime soon.

as for Jiheng, she supposedly realized her mistake in trying to change herself (she didn’t) for someone she liked, instead of accepting Xiao Yan (bad taste in women) who loved her for who she was.

im not sure she learned her lesson because her mistake was freaking blackmail and lying and all sorts of misdeeds. Frankly I don’t think she changed her character in her pursuit for Dong Hua, she just chose to use Low means to pursue him. In any case, she didn’t realize her mistakes! And she still gets a happy ending? WTH?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Megan said:

as for Jiheng, she supposedly realized her mistake in trying to change herself (she didn’t) for someone she liked, instead of accepting Xiao Yan (bad taste in women) who loved her for who she was.

im not sure she learned her lesson because her mistake was freaking blackmail and lying and all sorts of misdeeds. Frankly I don’t think she changed her character in her pursuit for Dong Hua, she just chose to use Low means to pursue him. In any case, she didn’t realize her mistakes! And she still gets a happy ending? WTH?

I think this was due to the actress playing JH, the script was altered for her... I choose to pretend it didn't happen in the drama as it feels unnatural for her character to suddenly have a change of heart and fall in love with XY. I still cringe watching those scenes- even on fast forward :vicx:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I also think she's very pretty. They casted well for the Xiangli family. Queen Qinghua and older Junou are also beautiful. Changdi resemble Xiangli Que. Hmm, I also think she's  pretty but the eye makeup made her look a meanie, which she is in her role. Meng Shao and Jielu look like older, softened Junou.

6 hours ago, Megan said:

Frankly I don’t think she changed her character in her pursuit for Dong Hua, she just chose to use Low means to pursue him. In any case, she didn’t realize her mistakes! And she still gets a happy ending? WTH?

The happy ending was more like a concession to the actress. I'm glad it isn't true in the book.

No, she didn't change. She chose to force his hand. She absolutely forgot that DH won't have anything to do with her if not for Meng Hao's dying wishes.

6 hours ago, Megan said:

Su Jin had been punished for a very long time. And with every reincarnation, she forgets her past misdeeds, and is destined for more tragedy. So I don’t think she will learn yet, not anytime soon.

In TMOPB she is punished that she'll never be a celestial again.

12 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I think this was due to the actress playing JH, the script was altered for her... I choose to pretend it didn't happen in the drama as it feels unnatural for her character to suddenly have a change of heart and fall in love with XY. I still cringe watching those scenes- even on fast forward :vicx:

I detested that ridiculously,  way too long, babbling scene. Five minutes! And gah, there's no chemistry between them and XY actor. 

I would have preferred first and foremost the scene FJ wakes up if it was shot, or more of the family...that bonus scene should have been part of the finale. Or seeing more of Jielu and the clan settling down in Qing Qiu. Or Tai Chen with ZL and YQT working together. Anything but that creepy statue carving. No one wanted to see that!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I detested that ridiculously,  way too long, babbling scene. Five minutes! And gah, there's no chemistry between them and XY actor. 

I would have preferred first and foremost the scene FJ wakes up if it was shot, or more of the family...that bonus scene should have been part of the finale. Or seeing more of Jielu and the clan settling down in Qing Qiu. Or Tai Chen with ZL and YQT working together. Anything but that creepy statue carving. No one wanted to see that!

Same here! Whatever deal the actress got really affected the outcome of ELOD. I love the drama, don't get me wrong, but the extra time they gave to her character means we missed out on quite a bit. Oh well... better focus on all the good bits and ignore what's not part of TQ's writing. 

Maybe one day there will be a director's cut... but, probably not. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Same here! Whatever deal the actress got really affected the outcome of ELOD. I love the drama, don't get me wrong, but the extra time they gave to her character means we missed out on quite a bit. Oh well... better focus on all the good bits and ignore what's not part of TQ's writing. 

Maybe one day there will be a director's cut... but, probably not. 

I dislike JH's appearance at mortal realm. Demons unnecessarily extended the mortal realm to at least two episodes. I feel I'm being jaded but I think JH would have been in dream realm too if there was a convincing story to latch on so that she'll also be there. It's ironic, but I wanted more Miao Luo exposure. Hahaha!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I dislike JH's appearance at mortal realm. Demons unnecessarily extended the mortal realm to at least two episodes. I feel I'm being jaded but I think JH would have been in dream realm too if there was a convincing story to latch on so that she'll also be there. It's ironic, but I wanted more Miao Luo exposure. Hahaha!

Demons indeed! :fear: But unfortunately what's done is done.

It amazes me how much she managed to weasel her character into parts of the story she really needn't have been. She loved it so much she bought the rights; as a fan herself I think she should have known better. And honestly, It wouldn't have bothered me if it did not affect the story so much, but we all know it meant the later half of the series was rushed. It left me feeling a bit cheated.

With that said... along with TMOPB it remains one of the best Cdrama's in it's genre out there for me.

Miao miao is kind of fun in her own messed up way :lol: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

17 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Demons indeed!  But unfortunately what's done is done.

It amazes me how much she managed to weasel her character into parts of the story she really needn't have been. She loved it so much she bought the rights; as a fan herself I think she should have known better. And honestly, It wouldn't have bothered me if it did not affect the story so much, but we all know it meant the later half of the series was rushed. It left me feeling a bit cheated.

With that said... along with TMOPB it remains one of the best Cdrama's in it's genre out there for me.

Miao miao is kind of fun in her own messed up way :lol: 

Ah, Miao Luo anytime. I like her best in Ep30. How her expression changed when FJ's birthmark lit up. :lol:

Book and drama JH was there too, but TBH, her "sniffling" there that DH's having a "date" with Miao Luo looked funny to me. It looked...unnatural? Can't think of a better term to describe her look of bewilderment that DH has someone sitting on his lap.

I'm not sure she'll be convincing enough as FJ. I can't picture her as FJ in, say for example, Ep30 at Jieyu spring. Can't see her funny enough either with buddy XY.

Gosh, why am I'm thinking of what if she took the role of Junou at the dream realm. :o

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ah, Miao Luo anytime. I like her best in Ep30. How her expression changed when FJ's birthmark lit up. :lol:

Book and drama JH was there too, but TBH, her "sniffling" there that DH's having a "date" with Miao Luo looked funny to me. It looked...unnatural? Can't think of a better term to describe her look of bewilderment that DH has someone sitting on his lap.

Yes! First of all, how on earth did she get there? FJ simply got lost while thieving that night :lol: Is she stalking him?

The "date" with ML... she looked hurt as if DJ had wronged her. Or perhaps she felt bewildered and hurt because she thought DJ did not feel anything for any woman, yet here he was courting a banshee... Can't tell what goes on in her tiny mind. Perhaps she appeared unnatural because her sense of ownership over DJ is misplaced? 

In contrast we see a much younger and calmer FJ quickly discerning what really was going on. (Even though in the book she mistook DJ to be under her spell and in need of assistance :lol:

Perhaps that too adds to the feeling of unnaturalness?

I'm not sure she'll be convincing enough as FJ. I can't picture her as FJ in, say for example, Ep30 at Jieyu spring. Can't see her funny enough either with buddy XY.

Gosh, why am I'm thinking of what if she took the role of Junou at the dream realm. :o

JH is a completly different character. But judging from the way she played JiHeng, I also find it hard to picture her as FJ- I'm glad it didn't happen! Especially after seeing Vengo and Dilraba in TMOPB together...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Yes! First of all, how on earth did she get there? FJ simply got lost while thieving that night :lol: Is she stalking him?

Definitely stalking, coz she got a lamp! :lol:

Perhaps she appeared unnatural because her sense of ownership over DJ is misplaced? 

I think I know now, hehehe. That rapid breathing doesn't look natural for me. She'd look more convincing that she's upset if not for those extra shoulder movements. 

In contrast we see a much younger and calmer FJ quickly discerning what really was going on. (Even though in the book she mistook DJ to be under her spell and in need of assistance :lol:

Perhaps that too adds to the feeling of unnaturalness?

That too. The younger one's brains were working, whereas the older one is just letting her emotions overwhelm her. -_-

JH is a completly different character. But judging from the way she played JiHeng, I also find it hard to picture her as FJ- I'm glad it didn't happen!

She might like the role a lot, but... I tried imagining her as Aranya, and FJ in Ep47. Not working. The TMOPB FJ is the only benchmark as FJ.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Vengo and Dilraba own Di Jun and Feng Jiu. ^_^ To replace them would have been be a sin. 

Speaking of, if it weren't Vengo and Reba playing their roles so well as DH and FJ, ELOD  might not be still getting shown outside China. For a web drama with a much lesser budget than its predecessor,  congratulations!

Broadcasting from today in Japan :)

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 3

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

I really liked that scene, it felt like a glimpse into FJ's future of being a smart and strong empress. I feel like in the future stories we will see a different side to FJ through time. I can already picture her being this compassionate and emotionally strong personality who gives meaningful advice to other characters like Xiao Yan and Shao Wan with their love problems. Donghua definitely picked his equal.:smort:

So I've been thinking so far that the main evil in TMOPB and ELOD was a demon so what will be the big evil in Lotus Step and Bodhi fate?

For now, I've realised that Miao Luo was definitely more stronger and threatening than that Ghost Lord guy in TMOPB which means the 'big evil' just gets more harder and harder to deal with. Hope no one actually dies forever.

I'm thinking that whatever is the evil in the Lotus step will just disappear to get finally put down for good in Bodhi fate. Like in TMOPB, Yehua basically "dies" and then FJ goes into a coma due to her injuries, so what's gonna happen to poor LS/CY and SW/MY? I feel Tang Qi might make more depressing and kill off a lovable minor character like Zhe Yan's lover and Bai Qian's brother Bai Zhen. If your reading this dont do it tang qi!!!!!!:fearful::bawling:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

I really liked that scene, it felt like a glimpse into FJ's future of being a smart and strong empress. I feel like in the future stories we will see a different side to FJ through time. I can already picture her being this compassionate and emotionally strong personality who gives meaningful advice to other characters like Xiao Yan and Shao Wan with their love problems. Donghua definitely picked his equal.

I agree with you and DJ... She will be more beautiful when she grows up...both inside and out. :)

45 minutes ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

So I've been thinking so far that the main evil in TMOPB and ELOD was a demon so what will be the big evil in Lotus Step and Bodhi fate?

For now, I've realised that Miao Luo was definitely more stronger and threatening than that Ghost Lord guy in TMOPB which means the 'big evil' just gets more harder and harder to deal with. Hope no one actually dies forever.

I'm thinking that whatever is the evil in the Lotus step will just disappear to get finally put down for good in Bodhi fate. Like in TMOPB, Yehua basically "dies" and then FJ goes into a coma due to her injuries, so what's gonna happen to poor LS/CY and SW/MY? I feel Tang Qi might make more depressing and kill off a lovable minor character like Zhe Yan's lover and Bai Qian's brother Bai Zhen. If your reading this dont do it tang qi!!!!!!:fearful::bawling:

I dare not think of what evils lay in wake for CY/LS and SW/MY. But I have a feeling we're not done with the Hui Ming realm which is now tied to Kunlun, right? Whatever happens... I suspect it will end with a joint effort so no one has to sacrifice him/herself again. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

Qing Cang was of the Ghoul tribe, while Miao Lou, even if she's a Demon lord, she is the manifestation from the poison collected from all realms. Not exactly of Demon tribe. 

If I'm  guessing it right,  it might be more of a tussle between deities waking up and Lian Song himself. I could be wrong though, and I'm really excited for the rest of Lotus Steps.

Bodhi Fate...since these are ancients, their calamity might be ancient foe/s haunting them back.

I'm thinking that whatever is the evil in the Lotus step will just disappear to get finally put down for good in Bodhi fate. Like in TMOPB, Yehua basically "dies" and then FJ goes into a coma due to her injuries, so what's gonna happen to poor LS/CY and SW/MY?

I believe that for these four, they will be backed by their friends. Unlike YH that time who didn't have much support no thanks to Hao De, and DH who refused to share his burdens.

IMO, LS will be backed by YH and DH so long that they're not incapacitated,  and CY will have FJ and BQ. MY will definitely have ZY, BQ and YH, while SW will have DH, plus that deity waiting to wake up in Lotus Steps.

But... Let's leave it to our dear author of 3L3W Tang Qi. I'm sure she'll  give us something better than we can imagine. :) Something better - more cry fests :phew:

Donghua definitely picked his equal

He has good taste. Hahaha! Joking aside, he describes her as perfect...he can only adore the perfect one for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I find curious is why the actress wanted to play Jiheng. Ok, yes I get that was the second best female main lead, but to actually try to cast Jiheng in a sympathetic light and give her a happy ending....in that case why not do that to Su Jin and Zhihe too? Jiheng was known to be the love rival of the main lead, someone disliked by readers for her actions...so why try to make her sympathetic character when it generated a negative fan response?

it would have been better if she just got the part of Aranya until the moment Feng Jiu got her body back of course. After all, in the book, Aranya does not look like Feng Jiu.

42 minutes ago, Megan said:

What I find curious is why the actress wanted to play Jiheng. Ok, yes I get that was the second best female main lead, but to actually try to cast Jiheng in a sympathetic light and give her a happy ending....in that case why not do that to Su Jin and Zhihe too? Jiheng was known to be the love rival of the main lead, someone disliked by readers for her actions...so why try to make her sympathetic character when it generated a negative fan response?

it would have been better if she just got the part of Aranya until the moment Feng Jiu got her body back of course. After all, in the book, Aranya does not look like Feng Jiu.

IIRC, the actress had posted something which irritated further fans of the story. It was how she posted, or should I say, the wordings of her post, which was somewhat an affirmation that JH script was altered in such a way to show she's the better choice for DH, ergo, viewers should be supportive of her instead. That, and the post's tone that it was not merely a role anymore, but more of personal in nature.

Su Jin was of another production house and she was portrayed the right way IMO. I applaud the actress, she really did so well. Same with ZH, the role of fickle foster sister was correct.

JH actress could have chosen to be CY IMO, but,  this is just an impression, again from what were already posted or published. There were brouhaha already from preproduction,  and she wasn't having the role she wanted. The next rote will be to keep the spotlight on her by choosing the role that have most exposure. That's JH.

• Unamused 1

33 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

IIRC, the actress had posted something which irritated further fans of the story. It was how she posted, or should I say, the wordings of her post, which was somewhat an affirmation that JH script was altered in such a way to show she's the better choice for DH, ergo, viewers should be supportive of her instead. That, and the post's tone that it was not merely a role anymore, but more of personal in nature.

It’s weird. For a fan of the pillow book, she sure had a change of heart for who should be Dong Hua’s wife...