Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MayanEcho

[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I don’t really know much about Buddhism but that’s the first impression that comes to mind when I think of the word ‘hunt’.

but does Buddhism forbid animal pelts?

The word "hunt" has several meanings. Chasing and killing wild animal is just one of it.

Buddhism as far as I can recall forbids unnecessary killing of all living things in one of its precepts. You might want to research on it if animal pelts are frowned on by Buddhist practitioners.

You might also want to go back to Ep4 when Cheng Yu reprimanded Zhi He after catching her about to stab FJ. She did say something about harming and killing.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

might also want to go back to Ep4 when Cheng Yu reprimanded Zhi He after catching her about to stab FJ. She did say something about harming and killing.

Feng Jiu was human then, I don’t think that counts as hunting. I call it attempted murder.

According to a website, Buddhists adopt a sympathetic attitude to animals. The whole don’t give others the same treatment you dislike. 
now I’m confused because this makes me think they are vegetarians

no offense to any Buddhists present!

Edited by Megan

40 minutes ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu was human then, I don’t think that counts as hunting.

FJ has never been a human. Lived with the humans in the mortal realm, but remained an immortal.

FJ was still a palace maid in Tai Chen at first half of Ep4. 

I didn't mean hunting anymore in that portion of my previous comment. It was already about the precept of Buddhist beliefs on unnecessary killing.

Why I mentioned that scene particularly, it's because someone was about to be hurt or killed if not for Cheng Yu's intervention. At the Tai Chen Palace gate. By the foster sister of Dong Hua. 

As a practitioner of the Buddhism, who annotates the Buddhist books for Buddha, it simply won't do for the place DH retreated to for peace and quiet, nor would he deserve the fallout if ZH wasn't stopped.

CY: "What mistake has the fairy maid made to irritate you so much? Even in the Sky Kingdom, hurting a fairy maid on purpose matters much, not to mention in the Tai Chen Palace. Zhi He, you'll have to think twice. Even though you don't care for anything else, you'll have to take the fame of His Majesty into account. Do you intend to make up more gossip to the rumors of His Majesty's taste for the killing to amuse people?"

ZH: "It was just a misunderstanding. A rumor doesn't make sense. Lord, for the sake of His Majesty, please make rumors end with the wise."

CY: "Since it's a misunderstanding, please look before you leap later, Zhi He."

ZH: "You're right Lord..."

• Insightful 2

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

FJ has never been a human. Lived with the humans in the mortal realm, but remained an immortal.

FJ was still a palace maid in Tai Chen at first half of Ep4. 

I didn't mean hunting anymore in that portion of my previous comment. It was already about the precept of Buddhist beliefs on unnecessary killing.

Why I mentioned that scene particularly, it's because someone was about to be hurt or killed if not for Cheng Yu's intervention. At the Tai Chen Palace gate. By the foster sister of Dong Hua. 

As a practitioner of the Buddhism, who annotates the Buddhist books for Buddha, it simply won't do for the place DH retreated to for peace and quiet, nor would he deserve the fallout if ZH wasn't stopped.

CY: "What mistake has the fairy maid made to irritate you so much? Even in the Sky Kingdom, hurting a fairy maid on purpose matters much, not to mention in the Tai Chen Palace. Zhi He, you'll have to think twice. Even though you don't care for anything else, you'll have to take the fame of His Majesty into account. Do you intend to make up more gossip to the rumors of His Majesty's taste for the killing to amuse people?"

ZH: "It was just a misunderstanding. A rumor doesn't make sense. Lord, for the sake of His Majesty, please make rumors end with the wise."

CY: "Since it's a misunderstanding, please look before you leap later, Zhi He."

ZH: "You're right Lord..."

Ah I see. I just thought they were referring to Dong Hua’s normal reputation. Nothing to do with Buddhism. Thanks.

and this exchange makes me wonder if Cheng Yu is higher in status than Zhihe.

Edited by Megan
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Megan said:

Ah I see. I just thought they were referring to Dong Hua’s normal reputation. Nothing to do with Buddhism. Thanks.

and this exchange makes me wonder if Cheng Yu is higher in status than Zhihe.

It has something to do with Buddhism.

Buddhists believe in ahimsa - doing no harm and being non-violent. It means avoiding any deliberate harming of any living thing and having a desire to bring about the greatest good.

Source:https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zc3c7ty/revision/5#:~:text=Buddhists believe in ahimsa - doing,bring about the greatest good.

Higher or lower in rank, Zhi He deserves censure with her behaviour. She won't even be a part of DH's household if not for his sense of gratitude to repay her parents.

• Insightful 1

Finished episode 13! finally some DongFeng action! Could have done without the Chu Wan interference though. That was just infuriating to watch.

I’d rather watch Xuanren chase after Xiao Jiu, especially learning about her old flame.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu was human then, I don’t think that counts as hunting. I call it attempted murder.

According to a website, Buddhists adopt a sympathetic attitude to animals. The whole don’t give others the same treatment you dislike. 
now I’m confused because this makes me think they are vegetarians

no offense to any Buddhists present!

My BF is a Buddhist "practioner" He rarely eats meat (only when offered a meal at someone else's place, for instance) It's not a must to be a vegetarian. Alot of Buddhist do eat meat on occasion. But Buddhism encompasses a variety of beliefs, practices and traditions. :) 

Question: Does anyone know why Cheng Yu is called  "Lord"? 

(Why do my posts keep getting merged?)

Regarding Zi He... it really baffles me how much of an idiot she is. I mean, FJ is so much younger but posesses so much more poise, wit and bravery. 

It makes me wonder what she does all day...:huh: Not just her, but most female deities are basically useless. How on earth or heaven do they survive their trials? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

16 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Question: Does anyone know why Cheng Yu is called  "Lord"? 

They are called "Lord" whether males or females, because they are immortals or deities that have control, powers or authority above others.

Personal opinion, I like that she's called Lord. Lady doesn't sound as right in their setting. :lol:

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

They are called "Lord" whether males or females, because they are immortals or deities that have control, powers or authority above others.

Personal opinion, I like that she's called Lord. Lady doesn't sound as right in their setting. :lol:

Ah I see, thank you for clarifying!

• Where's My Oppa? 1

51 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

(Why do my posts keep getting merged?)

The recent updates to the site merges comments if posted one after another within 30min(?) by the same person. 

54 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Regarding Zi He... it really baffles me how much of an idiot she is. I mean, FJ is so much younger but posesses so much more poise, wit and bravery. 

It makes me wonder what she does all day...:huh: Not just her, but most female deities are basically useless. How on earth or heaven do they survive their trials? 

Zhi He's a water goddess under Lian Song's authority. If you noticed, she's only addressed as Princess but never Lord. On the other hand, Cheng Yu is called a Lord as she looks after the Jade Pond and the lotuses.

According to DH, in EP32 and in PB1 p266, Zhi He said she didn't need to learn anything because he was was already there for her. Compared to FJ who was taught swordsmanship by Bai Yi (PB1 p226) aside from being let free to gain experiences.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, Megan said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think Dong Hua would have done to Moye for telling Feng Jiu snake venom is beneficial not a love potion?

Im not sure he would have killed Mo Shao or fed him fish. Something else.

I think DH would have sent Moye off on an errand. Something that will cause Moye a great deal of discomfort!

10 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I have absolutely no respect for ZH. The way she bullies the weak and have this entitled attitude is do off putting. 

It can be argued that she is spoilt, but I feel her personality is shown here, especially when she have absolutely no remorse for hurting others. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, Megan said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think Dong Hua would have done to Moye for telling Feng Jiu snake venom is beneficial not a love potion?

Im not sure he would have killed Mo Shao or fed him fish. Something else.

DH won't kill him for telling FJ that water serpent blood isn't poisonous. He'll just make SMY really, really work hard with something called Miaohua mirror, modified smaller edition. Leave him in Xi Ze's palace for days while he stays with FJ.

:coolshades:

22 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

DH won't kill him for telling FJ that water serpent blood isn't poisonous. He'll just make SMY really, really work hard with something called Miaohua mirror, modified smaller edition. Leave him in Xi Ze's palace for days while he stays with FJ.

:coolshades:

He already did that even without knowing Feng Jiu knows he lied about being poisoned.

5 minutes ago, Megan said:

He already did that even without knowing Feng Jiu knows he lied about being poisoned.

It's leverage of sorts against SMY. Other than make him extremely uncomfortable for his slip of the tongue, coz he'd have known something's brewing between DH Xi Ze and FJ, why would DH punish him if he can use him without any fuss?

It's already a punishment that SMY's walking on eggshells, sweating at the thoughts of what ifs should his unguarded talk causes this unique courtship of the Emperor to fall apart. :lol:

At DH's age and what he was, he's way past being petty and unreasonable since it is out of his control what FJ asks others. He doesn't even have to do anything at all. ^_^

Megan, it doesn't always have to be an intended act of retribution against somebody. You've already won when the other person is eaten up by guilt, and in remorse will make it up to you whatever way it would please you.

41 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

At DH's age and what he was, he's way past being petty and unreasonable since it is out of his control what FJ asks others. He doesn't even have to do anything at all. ^_^

Megan, it doesn't always have to be an intended act of retribution against somebody. You've already won when the other person is eaten up by guilt, and in remorse will make it up to you whatever way it would please you.

Oh DH can definitely still be petty at this age. Just ask Xiao Yan.

i am reminded of Drake and Josh. They were petrified at what Megan would do to them, having had too much exposure to her cruel pranks. In the end, her torture was to make them agonise over the potential outcomes...and then spring a surprise trap door when they let their guard down at last.

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Oh DH can definitely still be petty at this age. Just ask Xiao Yan.

Xiao Yan and Su Moye have very different dynamics with Dong Hua. 

One is downright rude to him, has challenged him to duels repeatedly and has stolen the soul locking jade. He was also suspected of "stealing" the baby fox in the past. In a way DH was kind of right with the "stealing" had he known who was the baby fox and who'd be her close friend later at Fanyin Valley.

Su Moye has his own motives too, and has attempted to manipulate the situation of FJ losing memory and DH unaware that the primordial spirit of FJ is in Aranya's body instead of in Junou's womb. He has become remorseful later though, and served DH the best way he could in Aranya's dream. Which was rewarded later on by learning what exactly happened to Aranya.

If DH's petty with XY, it's not without reason given their past history. XY was still fortunate that he wasn't offed by DH even before meeting FJ.

4 hours ago, Megan said:

i am reminded of Drake and Josh. They were petrified at what Megan would do to them, having had too much exposure to her cruel pranks. In the end, her torture was to make them agonise over the potential outcomes...and then spring a surprise trap door when they let their guard down at last.

Whoever they are, they already had a clue on the past treatment. 

That's a different story though. Your description is about repeated cycles of cruel pranks and bullying, with the two endlessly speculating what's the next thing Megan will do to them. 

There is no such cycle between SMY and DH. SMY was in the dream arc to assist and serve, not to carry out his own machinations to find out how Aranya really died. He might have been made to work hard continuously for the mirror, but he got the answers he wanted, even viewed how it happened. 

• Insightful 1

One thing I find interesting. Ling Xiang is a demon, probably... why didn’t she react when Xiao Jiu called out Jiheng’s name?

3 minutes ago, Megan said:

One thing I find interesting. Ling Xiang is a demon, probably... why didn’t she react when Xiao Jiu called out Jiheng’s name?

Lin Xiang doesn't know the name Ji Heng.

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Lin Xiang doesn't know the name Ji Heng.

If she is a demon, she must know the demon princess’ name.

oh, and I finished episode 14. Everything was perfect until the feast.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

If she is a demon, she must know the demon princess’ name.

oh, and I finished episode 14. Everything was perfect until the feast.

She's a mortal maid that looks like Minsu. Didn't turn into dust after she slashed her neck.

There were no response from both when FJ softly said Ji Heng's name. For Ji Heng it's understandable. For Lin Xiang it's either she didn't hear or she doesn't know whose name is Ji Heng nor its significance.

• Thanks 1