[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Watched episode 33. It was fine until the end. I did not need to see Dong Hua carrying JH. Ugh.

and why did no one call her out for her unfair treatment towards XY and FJ in the music round? It was so obvious she was trying to cheat, sort of.

i am angry at Dong Hua for taking his jealousy out on FJ but i admit I enjoyed the scene where she practically cradled his face.

and as the judge, shouldn’t he be focusing on the match instead of the game of chess/go? Though I admit his face when he lost was priceless lol.

As a musician myself, I didn't see a problem towards the music rounds. It was simply about hearing the music sound and matching close to it. Music can be deceiving to the eyes but once you listen it can be tied closely to your heart. They're making the music as they go along. Is pretty hard. You can't play random notes together and hope it sounds good. There are notes that goes together and there are notes that simply sounds nasty together. What I thought that before the competition, DH tells her to carefully listen with her ears and not look with her eyes is because you an accurately hear the quick changes in notes. Similiar to jazz in a way. Let's take some instrumental soundtrack from ELOD or TMOPB for example, if you closed your eyes and listen carefully focusing on the music (not the singer), you can listen to different arrangements of musical instruments playing together at different times, range, and tone. There are lots of instruments you can hear such piano, guitar, drums, woodwind instruments etc. Hence why when FJ and JH plays, sounds good so that's why people think is not an unfair treatment. Now it was mentioned that FJ's turn was tricky, its might be JH's change her music to a different tone (changing notes) and rythme. At the begginning where they were playing it was rather calm and at a steady pace and gradually it speeds up. I thought the whole music rounds was fair. If Jiheng was to have an unfair treatment she wound have sabotage FJ's flute.

• Love 1
  • Insightful 2

7 minutes ago, Khue N said:

Let's take some instrumental soundtrack from ELOD or TMOPB for example, if you closed your eyes and listen carefully focusing on the music (not the singer), you can listen to different arrangements of musical instruments playing together at different times, range, and tone. There are lots of instruments you can hear such piano, guitar, drums, woodwind instruments etc.

There are variants of some BGM of ELOD that are really good but unreleased. "Old Friend" and "Don't Leave" were at least released together. Other than that, there aren't other variants of the same song officially released. I quite love it that parts of "Su Su" of TMOPB found its way to ELOD with the more dynamically arranged "Descending From The Sky". ^_^

16 minutes ago, Khue N said:

If Jiheng was to have an unfair treatment she wound have sabotage FJ's flute.

After going to Fanyin Valley, I don't see JH use magic, with the exceptions on when she was under Mia Luo's influence. If she did try to sabotage using magic, DH would likely sense it though...

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:37 AM, Megan said:

Watched episode 33. It was fine until the end. I did not need to see Dong Hua carrying JH. Ugh.

and why did no one call her out for her unfair treatment towards XY and FJ in the music round? It was so obvious she was trying to cheat, sort of.

i am angry at Dong Hua for taking his jealousy out on FJ but i admit I enjoyed the scene where she practically cradled his face.

and as the judge, shouldn’t he be focusing on the match instead of the game of chess/go? Though I admit his face when he lost was priceless lol.

Key part of the story was DH's emotional development. If he didn't have strong feelings for FJ, he wouldn't be jealous. Yes, the way he delt with it was not great, but we must take into account how DH never experienced this type of emotion before, so it is understandable how he reacted like a little boy.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:37 PM, Megan said:

Can someone explain to me the cultivation in this novel?

i understand that Xianxia novels use cultivation to gain powers and health and immortality etc, but how exactly do the ELOD characters cultivate their powers?

for Dong Hua, he undergoes a mortal trial to recover a lot of spiritually cultivated energy...so I Guess you get energy from experiencing misfortune.

for Feng Jiu or Bai Qian, they have to study Chinese philosophy? Though I have no idea how they get stronger powers via studying. Unless they meditate on what they learn?

from what I can see, it seems like their powers mainly just grow with age.

I am unsure myself. But what I know is knowledge is power.

So age does not automatically equate to power.

Wisdom is gained via experience and knowledge. Mediation helps a person focus and filter out unnecessary thought or information. So meditation helps to strengthen knowledge and not to just rote learn information.

Naturally by meditating, that will bring about increase wisdom and power.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a dreadful theory. What are the odds that Jiheng just happened to find an injured fox so Dong Hua would take it to heaven, just when Feng Jiu needs to talk to him?

is it possible the so-called pure Jiheng actually injured an innocent wild animal?

Finished episode 34, as I expected, I wanted to kick Jiheng in the face for making Feng Jiu cry and rubbing the fruit in her face. And I also wanted to strangle Dong Hua once I saw Feng Jiu suspended, her life being drained out of her. So it was very satisfying to see Jiheng hear Dong Hua return the fruit to FJ. And also somewhat appeasing for Dong Hua to lose his powers and be attacked by snakes, and also the knowledge that he will be bleeding a lot to supply medicine.

i admit it’s kind of grudging on my part, but I so hate it when people get away with doing wrong things. And it would just rankle if only Feng Jiu suffered when it was Dong Hua’s freakin fault she suffers in the first place.

on the bright side, I admire Meng Shao and Feng Jiu’s determination to help their friends, even though their intentions were foolhardy.

anyway, not that the big anger has arrived, I expect it should cool down as I enjoy watching Dong Hua try to make it up to Feng Jiu in the coming episodes.

6 hours ago, Megan said:

Here’s a dreadful theory. What are the odds that Jiheng just happened to find an injured fox so Dong Hua would take it to heaven, just when Feng Jiu needs to talk to him?

is it possible the so-called pure Jiheng actually injured an innocent wild animal?

Whether it's by chance, or she had something to do about the fox's injury, JH thought of it as luck smiling at her because she can use it to her advantage. She's kind of quite reliant to luck in many of her lines.

As that fox resembled the missing  adored baby fox, DH pitied it and brought it to Tai Chen, thus preventing FJ  to plead her case of giving her the promised prize of saha fruit.

5 hours ago, Megan said:

I wanted to kick Jiheng in the face for making Feng Jiu cry and rubbing the fruit in her face.

JH celebrated the misfortune of FJ, which is very distasteful. She didn't just have to rub it to FJ 's face that DH gave it to her, she also spiced it up with her illusionary ownership of DH.

She celebrated  prematurely and she didn't get the saha fruit at all once DH realised the unfairness and terrible outcome of his jealousy of XY.

5 hours ago, Megan said:

And also somewhat appeasing for Dong Hua to lose his powers and be attacked by snakes, and also the knowledge that he will be bleeding a lot to supply medicine.

In the story, his sacrificing his cultivation for FJ can turn to the worse too for the 8 deserts and 6 realms he is protecting.

So I can't find it in myself to feel any satisfaction that he's bleeding and getting hurt to save FJ because of his wrong assessment  of FJ and XY and his decision to withhold the saha fruit from the winner. Not when Miao Luo was already wrecking havoc. 

Just as I can't be happy that FJ had backfires and had to experience the painful mortal trial of DH because she interfered when she was warned not to even visit where he was. She endangered the realms with her impulsiveness, thus she must amend and inevitably get hurt in the process of helping meet the unrequited love trials.

5 hours ago, Megan said:

i admit it’s kind of grudging on my part, but I so hate it when people get away with doing wrong things. And it would just rankle if only Feng Jiu suffered when it was Dong Hua’s freakin fault she suffers in the first place.

They're both willing to amend  where they did wrong, so they aren't running away from their responsibilities. IMO FJ would have got the saha if she wasn't evasive with that cake explanation. It led to DH to believe he's doing the right thing to give the saha to the one who can be cured with it, over the want of the other for pinpo pastries. 

Well, you did rage a lot over DH's actions before. You still do. Is that not hard to yourself Megan, when you somehow hold on to grudges over the character's development who was meant to do wrong in the first place as he falls in love for the first time?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

you did rage a lot over DH's actions before. You still do. Is that not hard to yourself Megan, when you somehow hold on to grudges over the character's development who was meant to do wrong in the first place as he falls in love for the first time

I admit it gets annoying that my grudging behavior prevents me from fully enjoying the DongFeng romantic moments. While I am angry at some characters, I didn’t want it to ruin the moments I should have enjoyed.

4 hours ago, Megan said:

I admit it gets annoying that my grudging behavior prevents me from fully enjoying the DongFeng romantic moments. While I am angry at some characters, I didn’t want it to ruin the moments I should have enjoyed.

I can understand your initial reaction. Some of the characters decisions aren't the best, but that is realistic. Everyone are highly influenced by their emotions, even the supposedly emotionless DH. 

What I admire about DH and FJ is that they take responsibility of their own actions and move on. They make mistakes, they accept it and make changes where needed. 

Megan, you too have the choice to focus on the positive, instead of drilling on past wrongs the characters did. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Megan said:

Does it trigger you somehow if the character deviates from doing the right thing, or what is acceptable?

If you do, what I can suggest would be to see the whole picture, and not focus only where things are going downhill. When you watch, perhaps you can think of each act or events as pieces of jigsaw puzzle falling into place until everything makes sense.

Even if a story is sad, or makes you mad, it is primarily to entertain. As the audience you are the judge on whether its a good show or not.

The choice is yours though on not letting the bitter parts take away the pleasure of the scenes that really matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finished episode 35. While I can enjoy how Dong Hua tenderly cares for Feng Jiu, I am skeptical of his claims to protect her, especially if he keeps lying. That kneeling lie is infuriating because it never happened! Oh well, a heart ring will suffice.

btw...how is carving a heart a way to show sincere affections in the mortal world? I don’t really get FJ’s explanation. Personally I would be freaked out if someone gave me a ring of heart muscle tissue. Dong Hua’s ring is crystal so it doesn’t freak me out as much.

not a big fan of Moye right now because I feel bad for Shen Ye. He tried so much to care for Aranya but she was taken away.

i do like Xize in the wedding scene though. You could see his caring expression towards his new wife.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 35. While I can enjoy how Dong Hua tenderly cares for Feng Jiu, I am skeptical of his claims to protect her, especially if he keeps lying. That kneeling lie is infuriating because it never happened! Oh well, a heart ring will suffice.

Can a situation like this explain why lying is sometimes a necessity? 

After waking up from coma, her parents told her that few more days, they'll go home.

"Where's my husband Dad? He hasn't visited since I woke up."

"He is at home, waiting for you. He's making sure everything's ready for your return."

It's the day she goes back home. Her husband truly went home ahead of her. She can only hug the urn of his ashes and feel glad there's something of him left behind. In the plane crash months ago where other families are still waiting for body parts of their loved ones, her husband's body was retrieved almost intact, and she lived. 

btw...how is carving a heart a way to show sincere affections in the mortal world? I don’t really get FJ’s explanation. Personally I would be freaked out if someone gave me a ring of heart muscle tissue. Dong Hua’s ring is crystal so it doesn’t freak me out as much.

The mortal is dead upon opening his chest. He won't be able to hand out much less make a ring of his heart. The connotation there is that some can love enough that they'd rather die to love only one person in their lifetime.

not a big fan of Moye right now because I feel bad for Shen Ye. He tried so much to care for Aranya but she was taken away.

Shen Ye was at seclusion when Su Moye chanced upon Aranya at Jieyu spring. It's good IMO, Aranya was better polished than the two sisters thanks to SMY's tutelage and care. Shen Ye wasn't having enough power to take care of Aranya whereas the 2nd Prince is respected by Xiangli Que.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Megan said:

i do like Xize in the wedding scene though. You could see his caring expression towards his new wife.

Well DH is shameless. 

Regarding the heart, FJ did say she didn't mean it literally. The image of craving out the heart isn't very romantic but the message behind is.

I actually really liked that scene, the way DH listened to FJ talk and held her hand. You can tell how much DH enjoyed spending these quiet moments with FJ.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

4 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

@ChibiLy Poor BGG, contending with a Fuqin who's addicted to sweets, pastries and anything Yangqi cooks. :lol: He can still have some of it if he helps cook with FJ...if they can cook without DH "sampling" everything. :P

The curse of having a overly jealous father!

3 hours ago, Megan said:

@ChibiLy personally my favorite moment was when he was trying memorize FJ’s face in the ice coffin.

and thanks for the tweet! Loved the family fic. Dong Hua, surely you can spare one yummy mooncake for your son?

Oh that was super sweet too. I remember reading that part of the book and got really emotional. Even the drama version, the way DH looked at FJ as the lid came down I was :dissapointed_relieved: and when FJ was falling and DH was reaching out for her :bawling:

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

For the rest of the Mid Autumn festival TQ fans' submissions (in Mandarin), you can check here:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/mp/appmsgalbum?__biz=MzU3MzA3NDk5Mg==&action=getalbum&album_id=1527901408728055810&scene=173#wechat_redirect

If only I can read Chinese :bawling:

• Wiggle 1

10 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

Even the drama version, the way DH looked at FJ as the lid came down I was :dissapointed_relieved: and when FJ was falling and DH was reaching out for her :bawling:

The BGM for this scene is my favourite of all officially released...sigh...Aranya arc remains a cry fest for me even now.

12 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

If only I can read Chinese

I've read the first batch a few days ago via Google translate. Give it a try!  It was close enough to the shared translation. I forgot about it until some greetings of Mid Autumn Festival. :)

• Like 3

Felt sleepy while watching episode 36. And it wasn’t that exciting anyway so I don’t really care.

i was disappointed by the lack to a DongFeng interaction.

poor FJ. I would feel the same because I have arachnophobia. There is no way I’m eating anything I’m afraid of.