[Drama 2018] Life on Mars, 라이프 온 마스

larus

...the story development is reminding me of Tunnel and Voice... ...change the past and the tragedy in future will be prevented... ...

If the OCN producers have officially declared that this is an adaptation of the original screenplay, does that mean the producers cannot re-write the ending of Life on Mars? :bawling:

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eekkkk.  Preview of episode 12.

Is Lee Sun Ho really KMS’ biological brother?  I’m trying to wrap my head around who the fake Lee Sun Ho is now that we know he came to Insung the same time as Tae-joo.  KMS as far as we know have no record in Insung either.

What if little KMS started to paint nails and put make up on the victims simply because he wants to make them look prettier than when he found them drugged and beaten by Lee Sun Ho? Did this trademark started out as something to make the women feel better in the mind of this little boy?  Fake Lee Sun Ho took the boy away and kept him in the same room as Na Young, the first woman that little KMS started to play make up with.  It eventually become his signature post crime. 

I think they will capture the fake cop.  This eventually lead little KMS to copycat his brother’s killings as revenge?

@triplem not sure who is the person on the phone with Tae-joo yet.

@bedifferent, if the trademark of the painted nails started with KMS, wasn’t there that other victim whom the detectives thought TJ’s father killed? The one who was in the bathroom stall with him. At the beginning of episode 7 the serial killer was putting makeup on her and painting her nails after strangling her. I thought maybe KMS learned from him.

I’m also worried about NY even if she’s just a figment of TJ’s imagination. And can I say how adorable I find little TJ? :wub: He’s such a cutie and I enjoy his little scenes with his older self. Anyway, I hope they catch that serial killer today or next episode. I do wonder why he killed TJ’s dad since I assume it’s him because of the inhaler TJ found in the wood area and his breathing pattern when he was standing with little KMS.

53 minutes ago, triplem said:

Are you referring to the end part ? I can’t remember at which minute of the episode but TJ realised how similar this case is to the night of his ex gf’s disappearance. He asked NY before if there’s an address by the same name of the 2018 case. (He thought of the door with the cross .) They said no. But he mentioned it’s a residential place that is very hilly . I am assuming he will tell DC . And they will start looking

Yes I was referring to the ending part. And yeah, I remembered he asked NY for that address when the killer (dressed as a policeman then) was beside them. But since that address does not exist, how come suddenly he and DC can get to the right place immediately??

There was another similar event earlier in another case. Somehow they managed to get to the right place / find the right person immediately. I cannot remember what was it but I recall wondering about the reason too.

9 hours ago, triplem said:

@katakwasabi Was the nurse a victim? But it makes sense now why LJH became a serial killer of abusive women and made them up . KMS inherited his “legacy”

@celebrianna They must be really live shooting so close to the release of the episodes that they can’t release the preview. I think weather has been playing havoc. JKH looks like he hardly sleeps & has aged like crazy . Poor guy 

The nurse was the first victim or can i say one of the cause of the young boy turned into evil cop. Huhu

Yeah. Maybe they are tight on schedule. Plus there was also the gangster attack recently. 

As much as i want JKH to grace the small screen continuously, i think he needs to take a few months rest after LOM. He looks aged and so tired, even his eyebags are down to his chin. If that's makeup, kudos to the makeup team, it really is believable. Taejoo looks forever sick in 1988. Huhuhu

@triplem, JKH does look tired and I think that’s great for the role. Imagine how scary it must be to hear the voices discussing his life, vitals and pulling the plug while he’s in this helpless state. Added to that the stress of the cases particularly with regards to his dad and now his new colleagues. I honestly wouldn’t be able to handle it. He really is resilient considering his level of adaptability to this unknown phenomenon. Anyway, hope he gets lots of rest soon.

I just realized that the elderly detective in TJ’s tv is the actor who played JKH’s grandpa in Smile You.

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@bedifferent, if the trademark of the painted nails started with KMS, wasn’t there that other victim whom the detectives thought TJ’s father killed? The one who was in the bathroom stall with him. At the beginning of episode 7 the serial killer was putting makeup on her and painting her nails after strangling her. I thought maybe KMS learned from him.

I’m also worried about NY even if she’s just a figment of TJ’s imagination. And can I say how adorable I find little TJ? :wub: He’s such a cutie and I enjoy his little scenes with his older self. Anyway, I hope they catch that serial killer today or next episode. I do wonder why he killed TJ’s dad since I assume it’s him because of the inhaler TJ found in the wood area and his breathing pattern when he was standing with little KMS.

I haven't watched E12.  You're right, the first victim Go Yeong Suk's nails were painted by the fake Lee Soon Ho so KMS did learn from him. I was just hoping for another explanation for why nice little KMS became twisted aside from imitation, hero worshipping and his scarred view of women in general from being abused by his adopted mother.  Sad and scary how much children learn from adults from just observation, when they are not being guided correctly.  Speak a lot for how important parents being active and present in their children's lives.  Kids are very impressionable though I was hoping hard that deep down inside, KMS is a good person as a child.  Even if it doesn't excuse all his crimes, at least we can understand the root of his evilness.

7 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Just watched ep 11 with subs, there is something I dont understand. Why did TJ and Captain run to the dark street suddenly? How did they know which street to go to? DId I miss something??

I think Tae-joo knows the vicinity since he is from the future (throw out some logics here).  Tae-joo also noticed the street sign that says Gahyeon-dong, Won Rae district before going further into the neighborhood.  Did any of you remember seeing that name?

6 hours ago, triplem said:

Are you referring to the end part ? I can’t remember at which minute of the episode but TJ realised how similar this case is to the night of his ex gf’s disappearance. He asked NY before if there’s an address by the same name of the 2018 case. (He thought of the door with the cross .) They said no. But he mentioned it’s a residential place that is very hilly . I am assuming he will tell DC . And they will start looking

@bedifferent @celebrianna I think that KMS is a copy cat of Lee Jun Ho. His MO is taken from LJH. I do believe LJH probably saved KMS from the abusive living conditions that he was subject to earlier & KMS Sees LJH as his saviour and hero . In the preview, KMS ask TJ why people think his hyung is bad. Little KMS probably thinks & is likely taught by LJH that they are doing society a favour by getting rid of these “bad” people or “loose”   women ( in KMS’s case . 

Going back to why Go Yeong Suk was killed, the missing motive.  HCH was killed because LSH wanted to silence the witness to his murder.  Is it possible that Lee Soon Ho killed Go Yeong Suk because he feels sorry for Tae-joo? In that case, he must have watched adult Tae-joo all along when he traveled back into 1988 with him.  He knows about GYS' role as Tae-joo found out about his dad's extramarital affairs in 1988.  If not, the other reason is GYS has wronged LSH somehow and they may be related (similar to KMS' situation).  

If LSH works in the Missing Person dept, did he bury KMS' missing case?  Is that what we are supposed to believe since KMS' identity is not found in the records?

I hope E12 answers more.  Waiting for subs and not reading spoilers. 

@Dramanoona I held my breath the last 1/2 hour, it was that good.  I don’t know if I should feel sympathy for KMS and his hyung.

I am holding out high high hope for a good ending.  If is, this is the best drama in 2018 up to now for me (and I am watching/seen  Mr Sunshine + My Ahjusshi),  Still has a few more dramas left before year end I know. lol

47 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

oh my god! This show is amazingggg!!!   Just finished E12.  Things make sense!

Jung Kyung Ho + Han Tae-joo, you have a life long fan :wub:

Totally agree! Ep 12 was awesome! And yes, everything makes sense. I like how everything is related and how the show tells us that in such an intricate story. Plus evil cop has such a sad background, cant help but feel sorry for him despite his evilness, to think he became like that because of other psychos and a corrupt system. I held my breath when evil cop was fighting with taejoo. So intense. Such a good drama.

Hoping for a great ending. There's 4 eps left. Super curious to know who is the caller.

And same here, i turned into a JKH fan during LOM! I want to spaz at his thread but theres not much activity there heheh

This show is truly impressive. I'm not one for hyperboles much but the attention to detail here is second to none. Most of the questions I had about KMS and his "guardian" were more or less answered in Episode 11 especially the one about how an individual with very unstable mental health was able to get into the force and be a member of the Public Safety Division no less. ;) They even dealt with that. So this nutty cop even has identity theft under his belt in his list of crimes committed. 

I was genuinely surprised by the "sting" operation. I really believed for 5 minutes that Yong Gi had done something incredibly stupid and stolen the tape, waving it around in public for all to see. Well, I mean, it's the sort of thing he's probably quite capable of doing out of spite. :D But thankfully, the fellow is not without his moments and redeemed himself almost heroically. ;)

Heh. The scene at the Health Centre's recovery room between TJ and him was hilarious. The reluctance, the tension had me chuckling away. :lol:

I can't praise this show enough. Especially with the way it integrates the serious stuff with the funny moments. Everything works... incredibly well. ;)

*Off to see Episode 12*

@katakwasabi @triplem you know, I felt bad for Hyun Seok until he knifed Tae-joo.  I understand his need to revenge, empathized for his hard life and circumstances, was going to see his murders from those angles.  But no no no, to killing another person who helped you live.  The guy is just evil, burning down the house with his sister in it, sounds cold and too much of a psychopath to me.  It comes down to a choice like all things in life.  You have to take control of your life and be accountable for your decisions.  You can’t justify or perpetuate the evil that you were subjected to onto innocent people.  Tae-joo was asked whether he hunts down KMS/KHS to solve murder cases or to avenge HCH’s death.  It was easy for Tae-joo to cross over to the dark side and lose himself by letting Hyun Seok dies.  He didn’t so for that, he found closure to his dad’s death.  Otherwise, the killings continue needlessly.  We didn’t need to have the ripple effects.  Tae joo chose to end the tragic circumstances.

I do feel soooo bad for little KMS.  He’ll be unconsolable, an orphan once again alone in this world.  Will this trauma force him to start the copy cat killings in memory of his brother?  Poor kid lost perspective and faith in law enforcement.   Hyun Seok was going to reveal the name until he was shot by Chief Kim.  Hmmm, suspicious!

Anyway,  did Hyun Seok die from the fall or gunshot? Did Tae-joo just change the future so that he didn’t get shot in 2018 and prevented his ex GF from being kidnapped?  What if Hyun Seok is alive…

Does anyone think Tae-joo just die in 2018 from the fall or do you think he will wake up from coma next episode?

@triplem  Yes, me too cuz I want to know if all that he did in 1988 changed 2018 and his future.  I don't think 1988 people and events are his memories. :) If he wakes up in 2018, he would have to leave KMS and his unfinished business in the hands of others.  It feels like it is not enough to stop KMS from turning into the future serial killer.

So KMS' older brother is KHS... a biological relative suffering from strep meningitis. Is it hereditary? There seems to be some suggestion that it ran in the family. The father and the sister had symptoms of something or another.

Did anyone else feel they were watching the SK version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest unfolding before their very eyes? We had nutters and nasties galore! 

KHS seemed to be on a revenge killing spree. Anyone who abused him or caused his misery from his own father right to the director of the welfare facility was on his hit list. 

So the woman OYC, Victim Zero was the one who started the whole manicure thing? That was mighty creepy. She put the inmates into a state of immobility and prettied them up. Why? Boredom? Mental instability? What was it? That was unexpected. And contagious too. 

You've got to feel for young KMS. Poor kid. He didn't have the best role models, to put it mildly. He really just wanted to be with his brother and out of the grip of the horrible adoptive parents. brother wasn't much better. Certainly we feel a certain amount of sympathy for KHS for what he went through... he was a victim of "the system" and apparently he was a smart kid but he didn't think about the consequences of his own choices on his brother... he was too angry I imagine and there were no moral or personal restraints to hold him back. But stabbing TJ after he'd just let him have the inhaler was just... :angry:

I was beginning to think that Na Young was a bit too good to be true but at least we saw from this experience that she's human. :cold_sweat: Poor dear... she was so relieved to see TJ that she burst into tears immediately when he found her bound and gagged. I'm sure @triplem you were pleased for some kind of incidental skinship. :D Glad that she just let it all out and had a good cry. She needed to get it out of her system before she could bounce back and be a part of the team.

All that aside, the thing that really interested me about this episode was the final exchange between TJ and KHS about That Man From Seoul Who Called. It signalled the end of of one incredibly long arc and we're now transitioning into another. Why would KHS know anything about TJ's predicament, much less about That Man Who Called? To me that's more intriguing than the identity of The Man Who Called. Who are these people who keep popping up in TJ's coma who claim to know things? Are they part of his consciousness that appear to him as characters that are performing in the theatre of his mind? Is The Man Who Called a voice from 2018 or is he a part of TJ ego? Who is Magic Chief Inspector on Magic TV in relation to TJ? Is it his conscience speaking to him... acting as a sounding board for his moral dilemma? It's a good question... does TJ want revenge or does he want the truth?

@katakwasabi -- I suffer from this problem regularly. 70-80% of the dramas I watch are not popular on Soompi even if they're extremely good like LOM. Unless the romance is overt, it's really like talking to an echo chamber on some threads. ;)

Archived