Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018] Life on Mars, 라이프 온 마스

As I've said and I will keeping saying that the drama's greatest strength (both as a standalone show and an adaptation) is in how it weaves together TJ's own personal journey to re-discover his past warts and all with the individual crime cases. The strong thread of continuity all throughout tightens the plotting and perhaps even the overall message being writ large. I also love how this version really accentuates the protagonist's abject loneliness. Of mind and of place. He is an alien... and an intruder in the world who desperately wants to leave but he can't. He can't really share with anyone what he's experiencing and he can't get close to anyone. All he can do is soldier on and be the good cop that he knows how to be.

At the autopsy table, JKH proves again why he's one of the best. The change in his facial expression after the ME leaves the room, followed by an explosion of deep emotion and heart-rending sobs provides unspoken insight into a man who is racked with inexpressible grief, anguish and maybe even guilt. Filling the gaps in his memory has been an excruciating ordeal coupled with the thought that he was helpless to save his father. The image of the older TJ carrying the sobbing little TJ in his arms on the railway track is a fitting metaphor for how the older self protects the younger.

One important we gleaned from this episode that Dad was definitely not the "manicure killer" who seems to be an unknown individual that was close to Kim Min Seok. A parent? An older sibling? Someone who was able to influence him negatively while giving approval to his lawless deeds. But why did the original "manicure killer" bother with offing Dad? To use him as a scapegoat? Otherwise I don't see why he would break MO and kill a man on railway track. Does the "manicure killer" have some kind of relationship with HCH? He obviously is something of a marksman... to be able to aim at a distance and hit the back of the skull.

On appearance DC is something of a goofball. But he is a goofball with a heart of gold. Even though he had some other motive for reaching out to TJ (being sent to the doghouse by the missus), he is trying to be kind knowing that the younger man is haunted by an unshakeable misery. He uses humour to deflect the gravity of events and situations but he can be very perceptive. I really liked how they used the freezer scene here. It was funny of course. But it showed a bit of TJ's ingenuity in a difficult situation and the growing bond between the two cops.

I'm also glad that the show remembered TJ's background in chemistry and that we were able to see that in the final apprehension of the criminal. 

We are also reminded once again about the appalling way in which women are treated in this era. So much so that even the little acts of kindness shown by TJ has such a powerful effect on the ladies. He makes a cup of coffee for NY. He buys a ferry ticket for the victim and tells her to start fresh back in her hometown. They seem like insignificant gestures but they have seismic consequences. TJ rocks the boat and challenges the status quo. He can't turn a blind eye to the dirty dealings. There are casualties. YG blames TJ for getting involved and causing a death but I suspect that it would be a matter of time before something terrible happened eventually.

TJ's tie-suit ensemble in the middle of hot weather reminds me of another British crime show that I love... Death in Paradise, the first three series with Ben Miller in particular. The lead detective in that was a parochial Englishman who was posted to the Caribbeans and he hated it. Despite the hot weather, he continued wearing a full suit to work every day. I don't think there was air-conditioning in the station either. ;)

Love the newly released OST... sounds like British pop from the 80s. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As I've said and I will keeping saying that the drama's greatest strength (both as a standalone show and an adaptation) is in how it weaves together TJ's own personal journey to re-discover his past warts and all with the individual crime cases. The strong thread of continuity all throughout tightens the plotting and perhaps even the overall message being writ large. I also love how this version really accentuates the protagonist's abject loneliness. Of mind and of place. He is an alien... and an intruder in the world who desperately wants to leave but he can't. He can't really share with anyone what he's experiencing and he can't get close to anyone. All he can do is soldier on and be the good cop that he knows how to be.

At the autopsy table, JKH proves again why he's one of the best. The change in his facial expression after the ME leaves the room, followed by an explosion of deep emotion and heart-rending sobs provides unspoken insight into a man who is racked with inexpressible grief, anguish and maybe even guilt. Filling the gaps in his memory has been an excruciating ordeal coupled with the thought that he was helpless to save his father. The image of the older TJ carrying the sobbing little TJ in his arms on the railway track is a fitting metaphor for how the older self protects the younger.

One important we gleaned from this episode that Dad was definitely not the "manicure killer" who seems to be an unknown individual that was close to Kim Min Seok. A parent? An older sibling? Someone who was able to influence him negatively while giving approval to his lawless deeds. But why did the original "manicure killer" bother with offing Dad? To use him as a scapegoat? Otherwise I don't see why he would break MO and kill a man on railway track. Does the "manicure killer" have some kind of relationship with HCH? He obviously is something of a marksman... to be able to aim at a distance and hit the back of the skull.

On appearance DC is something of a goofball. But he is a goofball with a heart of gold. Even though he had some other motive for reaching out to TJ (being sent to the doghouse by the missus), he is trying to be kind knowing that the younger man is haunted by an unshakeable misery. He uses humour to deflect the gravity of events and situations but he can be very perceptive. I really liked how they used the freezer scene here. It was funny of course. But it showed a bit of TJ's ingenuity in a difficult situation and the growing bond between the two cops.

I'm also glad that the show remembered TJ's background in chemistry and that we were able to see that in the final apprehension of the criminal. 

We are also reminded once again about the appalling way in which women are treated in this era. So much so that even the little acts of kindness shown by TJ has such a powerful effect on the ladies. He makes a cup of coffee for NY. He buys a ferry ticket for the victim and tells her to start fresh back in her hometown. They seem like insignificant gestures but they have seismic consequences. TJ rocks the boat and challenges the status quo. He can't turn a blind eye to the dirty dealings. There are casualties. YG blames TJ for getting involved and causing a death but I suspect that it would be a matter of time before something terrible happened eventually.

TJ's tie-suit ensemble in the middle of hot weather reminds me of another British crime show that I love... Death in Paradise, the first three series with Ben Miller in particular. The lead detective in that was a parochial Englishman who was posted to the Caribbeans and he hated it. Despite the hot weather, he continued wearing a full suit to work every day. I don't think there was air-conditioning in the station either. ;)

Love the newly released OST... sounds like British pop from the 80s. :D

You have put my thoughts in such beautiful words. Thank you! 

I agree whole heartedly that one of this drama's strength is how the story is weaved and arranged, how 1988 links with 2018. This drama is one of the few dramas that i actually dont question the storyline too much and i think the story is told so nicely that it makes sense. Also the humor is subtle and not forced. That makes watching LOM very fun to me as i can enjoy the story and watch it unfold with excitement. 

I'm actually inclined towards 1988 is only in taejoo's mind while he's in coma. Eventhough it is only his mind playing tricks on him, i hope he finds happiness and closure. I'm glad dongchul advised him to tell if he's sick and not keep it to himself. At least now taejoo have nayoung and dongchul to lean on. He really needs support in the little time that he may have left.

Ep 10 tonight! Super excited! Kyaaaaa!

• Like 3

This show is soooo good!! Love every minute of it. It’s been awhile since I’ve enjoyed a drama’s plot, bromance and romance at the same time.

I googled how UK version ended and I have to say I wasn’t satisfied. Such a vague ending. I guess I’d like to see more defining explanation.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness It felt like forever...  I can't believe I got through all those waiting. Let's give ourselves a pat on the back for enduring and prevailing. LOL I love all the crime solving shenanigans of the team but I can't help but ship NY & TJ episode after episode! I know there's a possibility that this might end differently from what I want but... hey! we only have 7 episodes to go, I'm just gonna enjoy the ride, wherever it may lead me to. And I gotta give it to Go Ah Sung and Jung Kyung Ho for such a palpable chemistry, their characters barely even touch and still I find all the little thing about NY and TJ endearing and swoon worthy. 

QrpS7l.gif

Anyway... isn't NY such a ray of sunshine whenever she's with TJ? She's so pure! This marshmallow ought to be protected... not that she can't do that herself. 

5MUJkF.gif

It's such a shame the movie date didn't happen. What I would give to witness that! Look at those faces full of regret. LOL But I still hope it will happen... please show! 

iCzA5u.gif

TJ spent a wild night with a woman? I was like screaming at the top of my lungs. NO!!! The righteous TJ in this set up? Dong Chul must have loved this so much, bet he'll never let TJ forget this for the rest of their lives.

Spoiler

hd5Bsn.gif

It was careless of TJ to get drunk, get drugged and have his nudes taken. (please release them as bts lol just kidding) Lol No wonder NY is so angry and scary... I'm loving the attitude, girl!

Spoiler

RrNmO1.gif

This here was the highlight for me!!! It's just too cute! TJ is so clueless I want to punch him... down there. Just kidding. Oh my poor NY can't even exit this embarrassing situation with finesse. LOL I gotta say there's a lot of TJ running after NY in this episode, not that I'm complaining. Is this a sign show? 

Spoiler

TEc38q.gif

I was bummed out when they got interrupted again, I would have liked to see how TJ would explain. I'm here for all those meaningful looks he kept on giving her; "told you so didn't do anything wrong please don't get mad" Omo! They're so subtle they'll be the death of me.

Spoiler

pMuEFV.gif

Like a real married couple! These two fight like cats and dogs and be sweet to each other right after. It's so cute that when DC got thrown out of his house, he immediately go to TJ.

Spoiler

jbsaC7.gif

DC finally witnessing one of TJ's episodes

Spoiler

vybQyd.gif

My girl NY doing her signature move on poor Nam Sik and the rest of the team cheering!! What good have I done to deserve this scene!? THE BEST SCENE EVER!!! I just can't get over this, it was genius!

Spoiler

t9eefd.gif

DC, forever third wheeling! lol

Spoiler

mpTucH.gif

LOL get a room you two! Have no shame my pure NY is standing there!!! These three just light up our screens, I love them to the moon and back!

Let's take a break from all the sweet things and go the biggest twist this episode, TJ and KMS were friends? Oh my god!

Wait Didn't NY searched for KMS and found nothing, they just assumed he didn't live there. But why surface now? And I'm assuming the one kid KMS hugged was his father?

Spoiler

RbVZXN.gif

Spoiler

eHwVFW.gif

After those 2018 Kim Min Seok flashbacks, I suddenly got this idea. what if... who 2018 Kim Min Seok recognized in episode 1 was adult 1988TJ? Like he truly existed in 1988. When he said "Haven't we met somewhere before?" & "You look quite familiar" to TJ back in ep 1, it's like he's recognizing a childhood friend. But TJ moved away with his mom and aunt, right? So they didn't spend their childhood together hence they couldn't recognize each other.  But during the flashbacks, this sentence that gave me the goosebumps... "I remember who you WERE now" like he had a hard time pinpointing from his memory TJ's face but when he got agitated and angry he then remembered who he was. He didn't remember the kid TJ he once knew back in 1988... he remembered the detective TJ who existed as well in 1988.

I don't know. It's just an idea. It's so confusing, right? I'm confused as well but I just want to put this out here. This show is so trippy. It's like no matter how much you think about theories, there are endless possibilities and it ends up confusing you even more. Looking forward to another trippy but sweet episode tonight!

Edited by triplem
4th image (Pic, YT, IG, twitter,gif) onwards needs to go into spoiler. TQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Agreed!! The first 10 minutes had me in tears. The adult TJ carrying little TJ completely broke my heart. How horrible it was for little TJ to witness the father he adored, brutally  hit another woman. But more tragic and more traumatic  was seeing adult TJ trying to save his father over and over. It was at the autopsy table, that TJ for the first time could properly grief for his father since he has blocked from memory all that he witnessed as a child, telling mum he could not remember. 

28 minutes ago, andiamrea said:

After those 2018 Kim Min Seok flashbacks, I suddenly got this idea. what if... who 2018 Kim Min Seok recognized in episode 1 was adult 1988TJ? Like he truly existed in 1988. When he said "Haven't we met somewhere before?" & "You look quite familiar" to TJ back in ep 1, it's like he's recognizing a childhood friend. But TJ moved away with his mom and aunt, right? So they didn't spend their childhood together hence they couldn't recognize each other.  But during the flashbacks, this sentence that gave me the goosebumps... "I remember who you WERE now" like he had a hard time pinpointing from his memory TJ's face but when he got agitated and angry he then remembered who he was. He didn't remember the kid TJ he once knew back in 1988... he remembered the detective TJ who existed as well in 1988.

I don't know. It's just an idea. It's so confusing, right? I'm confused as well but I just want to put this out here. This show is so trippy. It's like no matter how much you think about theories, there are endless possibilities and it ends up confusing you even more. Looking forward to another trippy but sweet episode tonight!

Welcome to this thread and Soompi!  Lovely post and gifs. This theory of yours is a possibility!  The other alternative is that KMS really does mean he knows TJ , after all they were buddies and KMS may have done a lot of research on Han Tae Joo the detective in 2018, and realises this is his friend from the 80s. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, andiamrea said:

This theory works if you subscribe to the idea that TJ has time travelled and has created a causal loop. ;) It is an attractive idea and it does explain go some way to explaining the vivid presence of various individuals at he police station, people in TJ's past, KMS etc. 

But the weakness of this theory is that it doesn't explain the voices of doctors, nurses and TJ's mother in 2018 encouraging him to keep fighting. Particularly in Episode 7, there was a 2 o'clock deadline and the medicos were going to pull the plug and take TJ in 2018 off life support.

The reason why I don't think that KMS in 2018 was referring to seeing adult TJ in 1988 is because of the presence of the asthmatic individual that young KMS in 1988 was hugging at the end of the episode. Also I believe that this asthmatic is most likely the person who protected KMS in the alley in 2018 and shot TJ in the head.

I am pretty sure that when KMS said that he recognized TJ in 2018, he was referring to little TJ in 1988. ;)

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken KMS said you were like a cry baby that time... 

That man that KMS hugging is his dad? Meaning his dad could be the killer in 1988 and he is following his dad footstep in 2018? 

I'm anticipating what is going to happen in ep10 soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished episode 9 and I have to say it’s getting better and better. We’re getting closer to an asthmatic killer - it’d be too easy to guess it’s KMS’s father, right? But KMS had to learn it from someone...

I’d like to discuss the UK version ending with someone. So if anybody saw the UK version or at least googled it like me, do you think the same way like me?

DON’T click on a spoiler tag if you don’t want to know the ending.

Spoiler

I read that in the UK version Sam (Tae Joo) woke up from a coma in the present time. But the more he stayed in the present days the more he felt purposeless. He didn’t fit in there anymore. So the show ended with him jumping from the rooftop in the modern times and waking up in the past surrounded by people he came to love. The only conclusion I made out this ending was that Sam committed suicide. How else could he go back to when he wasn’t time traveling in the first place.

• Like 3

Eps 10 live caps 

Eps starts with recaps of the KMS case & How TJ got shot in 2018. 

TJ walking in the halls , he hears voices - Omo this time round he sees KmS talking & mocking him , her his mum’s voice . Tries to run towards KmS , can’t get at him. Seems like he’s having heart failure in 2018, they try to recharge his heart , in 1988 he’s perspiring in bed , thinks of the scene where NY puts his hand on her heart. He wakes up 

mHuwx1l.png

now at Office. Doing some work , thinks of little KmS . He’s bleeding in the ear . He sees magic tv dude , hears him on everything. He feels stressed , starts screaming 

a mysterious young man , dunno who , appears next to him. The boy is super strange ask if he hears voices etc...

suddenly the rest come in . They all know him. He’s a repeat offender who knows DC well. They tie him up & take him away , he’s a bit looney 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, aisling said:

Just finished episode 9 and I have to say it’s getting better and better. We’re getting closer to an asthmatic killer - it’d be too easy to guess it’s KMS’s father, right? But KMS had to learn it from someone...

I’d like to discuss the UK version ending with someone. So if anybody saw the UK version or at least googled it like me, do you think the same way like me?

DON’T click on a spoiler tag if you don’t want to know the ending.

Reveal hidden contents

I read that in the UK version Sam (Tae Joo) woke up from a coma in the present time. But the more he stayed in the present days the more he felt purposeless. He didn’t fit in there anymore. So the show ended with him jumping from the rooftop in the modern times and waking up in the past surrounded by people he came to love. The only conclusion I made out this ending was that Sam committed suicide. How else could he go back to when he wasn’t time traveling in the first place.

I'm so interested to know who KMS dad is. I hope its not someone taejoo knows and is good with. He cant endure another heartbreak after dad and kid KMS. Huhu

Spoiler. Discussion of LOM UK version

Spoiler

I read sam tyler character wiki page and its written that he did commit suicide to return to 1973. Dang. I really hope the korean version wont go that far. I dont want taejoo to commit suicide. He's trying so hard to live right now.

• Like 2

DC & TJ drives to some farm area, trailing behind a slow tractor carrying some kids . They finally reach crime scene . NY is there. Woman  dead for a while in a well of sorts . The cops comb the area for evidence. They find  shoes & bag. They find out her identity etc. 

(dead woman's pic )

Spoiler

bmhpKUX.png

DC , TJ & NY go to the woman’s house . No one is there. They go through some stuff . Finds an accounts ledger. NY finds an album full of the woman’s photo but seems like all the photos are just of her ( solo) . In the bath tub , there were remnants of burnt photos , can see there were other people in the photographs. Dc sees a frame under a table , has a family photo - Omo! Little Kms & his parents. ( mum I think was the dead woman) 

mIheWIm.pngPkZbJYu.png

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2

TJ gets another dizzy episode in front of the other two .nose bleed. He thinks of kms mocking him in his earlier dream. After a while he was ok . Nam Sik comes into tell them more About the woman’s husband. TJ asked if he’s KMS parents , surprised that he knows 

they go to KMS school , finds some info about the boy from teachers ( need subs here) . I think kMs is missing or didn’t go to school anymore 

back in station, nAm Sik found some leads to trace the Father . They go talk to this drunk man , he seems angry. ( Not sure what he’s saying here . ) 

• Like 1

No leads of the Father , TJ joins DC for the autopsy of the dead woman. She’s got a lot of severe wounds. But her fingers are not manicured 

the team discuss more , not much leads so far. But NY points out something unusual in the pair of socks she was wearing or her legs . The team goes back to the crime scene - retrace what could have happened . TJ thinks the guy hit her several times with a bat / stick. But they are trying to find the something. TJ & Ny go to the well & check again. TJ finds a badge in the hole / well ( how the heck did they miss that earlier 

• Like 1

That badge had a plant symbol & part of an association. They go there to find out more , look at pics & I think the dad was one of the members. ( edit : ok not the dad) 

lthT16S.png

The man tell them where a suspect lives. They go to the house . No one there . Has been abandoned. They find  a tin with a pair of woman’s earrings. 

zL5ULyf.png

They hear some noise . They find a man who seems a bit out of it sitting in the store room . The guy takes a bottle & hits one of them , starts going crazy . Four men can’t hold him down, takes sweet NY to hit him in the head.

WhwGyuK.png

• Like 1

They take the guy for interrogation. Later NY shows a book full of numbers to DC & TJ. NY seems to have found out some info about lil KMS . They go to a hospital for his health records , think he has lots of bruises & was abused by his mum

TJ & NY goes back to station , seems the guy they took in earlier died while being interrogated by the other senior cop . I wonder if the senior cop beat him as the former was hit by the head by the guy & needed stitches. 

w7Ocb3D.png

DC , superintendent comes into the interrogation room. He slaps the older cop a few times . Dc twists his arm to get him to stop. This is a problem as man dies in custody. Nam sik looks really scAred, big headache for DC

• Like 1

If we are talking about MO, the manicure killer strangled his victims.  Asphyxiation.  We now get the introduction of a new character who can’t breathe properly.  There is some relationship here, esp with a young KMS, so I am going to take the bait and believe drama is showing us the  original killer.  He wants his victims to suffer the same problem as him, dying from not able to breathe.  Can’t wait for the slow revelation on the why and motive.  

The young KMS seems like a nice kid, standing up against bullies for his friend who was innocently targeted for his dad’s crimes.  It’s not possible to imagine he defend HTJ because KMS feels they are both children of criminals, thus kindred souls.  He seems innocent at this point.  Why did KMS cross over to the dark side? He adores his dad, not so different than Tae Joo... we haven’t shown if he has a mom.  Here is another boy who is similar to Tae Joo, dealt with a terrible person as father, perhaps without the right support grows up to repeat the same kind of life trajectory as his criminal parent.  For little Tae-joo, he was lucky since he had a figure in his life to help him process and guide him through the hard years.  Imagine the kind of person TJ could have been, the bitterness and hate against others who ostracized him after his dad’s death.  The trippy thing here is it was adult 2018 Tae-joo who helped and gave him back the baseball.  Anyway, I’m expecting some sort of lashing out by little KMS to society in a negative way if his dad is indeed the killer and gets caught.

Still, not sure why the original manicure killer chose to kill the first lady... and why do a manicure.  He also followed HCH as well to kill off his only eyewitness.

@aisling BBC.  Don’t read spoilers.

Spoiler

Agree.  What he is doing in 1988 is to finished the unresolved business before he can get to heaven in his comatose mind. He’s in the land in between. Sam chose to go back to where he belonged by suicide.

• Like 2

Ep 10 clips are available on youtube. OCN is awesome for uploading the clips while the drama is airing. Thank you OCN!

This clip proves how awesome JKH acting skills are! And i like that he remembers nayoung~

Spoiler

• Thanks 2

While DC sits down to talk with the older cop , Yong ki , Tae Joo goes to Nam Sik who is crying & feeling bad and sorry. Not really sure what transpired earlier. 

Medical examiner comes and checks the dead man body . Yong ki explain to him how he hit the man , but I think the ME does not think that was what killed the man. They realised they actually have a recording of the interrogation that could give more information. NY finds the recording on the floor . They play it . And the scenes are shown. Yong ki did hit him several times but the guy was seems to be having difficulty breathing . They continue playing or was it play back to an earlier part where they hear a man humming. When the guy was left alone ,a man came in & was dressed in a cop uniform & stuffed poison in the guy’s mouth . 

JQq5v5Q.pngFvt8dfV.png

Omo the man who killed the guy in custody is KMS ‘s Father (edit- on second thoughts.  I need subs to confirm but KMS obviously adores this man)  He’s a cop in the station but they don’t know it is him !!!  

nQHjJNv.png

-eps ends-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2