[Drama 2018] Life on Mars, 라이프 온 마스

larus

11 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I think it has always been the case that OCN dramas don't really attract a large population here on Soompi because of the nature of the kind of shows it focuses on. Even when Bad Guys first came out, there was hardly anyone on the thread... and that is IMO one of the best K dramas I've ever seen. But I agree that LOM really deserves a bigger audience... and it seems to be growing thankfully. PP should have had a much bigger audience as well TBH.

This is true . OCN is fantastic with crime dramas. ( I can’t the same with their romance ones though :lol:) Have not watched k dramas as long as some here , but Bad Guys was my first OCN drama  & still remains a personal favourite. 

I’m feeling sad about dad . Though he’s not the serial killer, he obviously led a life of crime & was unfaithful to mum. But no matter what , blood is thicker than water. Tae Joo continued to give him the benefit of the doubt all the way - in a sense that he lowered his guard right to the end - perhaps a tiny bit of him held out hope that dad would redeem himself .

Am Completely heartbroken for TaeJoo

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throwing a loop...

Could the serial killer be.....

Spoiler

sweety Nam Shik who has eyes for Na Young?

When we keep getting TJ and his flashes of lucidity in 2018 - with  the doctor and nurse and  BTS latest song - these events emphasises more that he is a prisoner in his own mind as he lacks physical response to any stimulation given by the present day medical staff. This is also exemplified when we see TJ in a little window as it spins away and he frantically shouts 'I can see it!"

VjaqVX.gif

Seeing TJ's dad getting shot just makes me wonder who is this person and what is the motive for shooting HCH?

@40somethingahjumma I'm not spoiling the story actually if you think I am doing that. Remember that Life on Mars Korean version is a remake of the original UK version. Anyone can google and find out the ending of the original story. That's the fact. 

I'm sorry if you don't like the facts of the ending on what exactly happened in the original version. 

Honestly speaking, I have no intention of watching the UK or US version so I hope that the spoilers about the ending from either version is not spotted here. Unless it's in the spoiler tags.

From comments of those who watched the other versions, there are some similarities but I don't think it will be an exact copy of either predecessor.

So let's enjoy speculating the rest of the story and possible ending but the ending is not set in stone yet. Only the writer and presumably the PD know the ending.

25 minutes ago, sheelatpsfm said:

@40somethingahjumma I'm not spoiling the story actually if you think I am doing that. Remember that Life on Mars Korean version is a remake of the original UK version. Anyone can google and find out the ending of the original story. That's the fact. 

I'm sorry if you don't like the facts of the ending on what exactly happened in the original version. 

Moderator’s note 

For the benefit of those of us on this thread ( like me ) who are not planning to find out the ending on any other versions, please put such info in spoiler button. It will be much appreciated. I think part of the thrill of being on this thread is not knowing  the end till it happens,  and being able to discuss & speculate. 

7 hours ago, kasjady said:

I haven't seen the BBC version before, is it going according to their version so far or is it entirely different?  I can't remember much from the US version and that was yearrrs back, besides feeling shortchanged from the ending, the bromance, NY's US version (I thought she was so beautiful ><) and that I watched it :S 

Yeah if he sees KMS in 1988 (and in the present time) then we're going on time travel/alternative universe territory rather than the main assumption people have which is TJ being stuck in a coma, and pretty much re-living an alternative past world for himself. Still to have a car hit you so suddenly, with the radio playing "Life on Mars" is pretty trippy haha. 

As for the serial killers motives, all that is in my head is the villian in ''Tunnel'' who felt like he was a savior killing those women. He was neglected as a child, whilst his mother ran off with other men and that kind of twisted him (shivers). 

OMG, the ending of US version :crazy:. Yes, Gretchen Mol is still beautiful. 

TJ could be reexamining the events in his life. ;) The drama has been consistent in showing TJ in a coma. Thanks @Dramanoona for the .gif.  I wanted more rouge, less contouring on JKH hahaha  He looks so haggard and lifeless, poor guy :lol:

@Dramanoona did the killer struggle with HCH for the money bag?

The mother complex is a possibility and may tie in with HCH/HTJ's childhood.  The heavy makeup, Madame Jo's red manicure... her relationship with men.  Add into it is aunt Mal Seok's cosmetic business.  It could be all red herrings  haha

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

No... of course. I wasn't implying that the killer of GYS didn't apply make up to her post-mortem. All I was saying is that the police made the link and then the leap that Dad was the killer based on the fact that he was giving out free cosmetics to women. My point was that just because he gave away his sister's samples, it did not make him guilty of killing GYS or being the manicure killer. But I know what you're saying about the show being rather clever about the whole thing.

They seem to be broadly following the BBC template although the continuing pesty saga of the "manicure" killer is throwing me for a loop. I have no idea how KMS or the "manicure" killer will play out in 1988. ;)

If we are operating on the assumption that TJ has literally travelled back in time (like Marty McFly in Back to the Future), it would be impossible for KMS to be the killer in 1988. He would either be too young or not born yet. It is possible, however, that the original "manicure" killer was somebody older that KMS knows well and influenced him into becoming a copycat in 2018. If I remember rightly, KMS habitually chewed on his fingers which is why they're having a hard time pining the crimes on him. The advantage of this theory is that it makes sense of a lot of the stuff that's going on but it still doesn't explain the voices and the hospital noises that he's experiencing. Particularly now that we've had Episode 7. If the time travel really does explain what's going on then it is possible that TJ and KMS may have crossed paths as children.

Other theories...

Reveal hidden contents

If however, we are operating on the assumption that TJ is in a deep comatose state and dreaming all of this up... then the recurrence of the "manicure" killer can attributed to his uneasiness about an unsolved case surfacing from his unconscious. But my problem with this theory is the presence of DC, NY, NS and YG. How do we explain the part they play in his dream? What about Mum, Aunty or Dad? Do they represent aspects of his personality that manifest themselves in the form of people he's crossed paths with some time in his life? I suppose I'm thinking of the first couple of episodes Star Trek DS9 in which Sisko meets with the entities of the wormhole and they make contact and communicate with him by taking on various personalities in his memories. If that's the case, I think the "manicure killer" is a part of his unconscious that is riddled with guilt.

Or is TJ in some kind of limbo land between life and death where he is grappling with his own mortality and all kinds of unresolved issues? In that case the "manicure" killer is again a sore spot because he was prevented from solving the case after being shot at and run over. 

Aunty Mal Seok selling cosmetics is something that they've taken from the BBC series. In the UK series, she's Aunty Heather and she's a Beauvoir lady... which is essentially an Avon lady. But she appears only for a minute or two in an episode in the second series. 

Enjoy reading your posts as always!

OKie, arguments for 2 different killers

1) The culprit that started the serial killings originated from 1988 shot TJ in 2018.  Thirty years apart is reasonable to make that assumption.  He could have been incarcerated or disappeared for a reason before reappearing again in 2018.  Since he was on scene when TJ caught KMS, I think both killers know each other in some ways.  

2) KMS/HTJ could have crossed path as children or they may have shared relationships with someone. KMS could also replicated the killings and acted out his aggression as he develops hatred against some female figure in his life. If KMS didn't exist in 1988 according to NY @blademan, we may have to assume he reads about the cases retroactively. :lol: The two killers in this case don't know each other well. :huh:

Something to consider... at KMS' crime scenes, there were multiple DNAs of dead criminals.  Weird giving this is the apartment of the victim.  The dead is not dead after all?

SPOILERS (BBC stuffs). Do not look :lol:

Spoiler

Yes, I agree with MrsSoSiJub's analysis that TJ is in a purgatory phase where he needs to resolve all the unfinished businesses.  KMS' comment about having known him before forced TJ to turn his memories upside down to shake out the clues.  His police squad, NY, DC, dad/aunt Mal Seok are from cases he knows or his past relationships. There is no mentioning that all are alive. 

We have to wait to see why his vision of KMS keeps appearing.  Maybe he tries to recall where he has read a similar case before.  He associated the cases by keep having the same vision of KMS onto the culprits kinda like what we would do trying to fit a piece of puzzle into the hole.  

Aunt Mal Seok may play a bigger role here since the case involves cosmetics and nail polish.  The killer may be associated with her customers.

I hardly hardly  watch the non-fluffy series...but this OCN series I gave it a go as its a remake and not interested to start on the rest of the slick investigative series available . But this series certainly wowed me.  What a good job the production team and OCN did on this series!  They don't over CGI on the time travelling and memories flashes or the blurring of reality and fantasy. It's just adequate and I'm so glad its not OD on effects.

I didn't watch the US/UK versions and so this series is so refreshing in plot/script  to me.  And  I'm at Ep 4 only. I like the treatment and execution of this production. The cast rapport and chemistry is fantastic, love the sarcastic banter between the time traveller detective and old time salty detective inspector. Who's the Main lead?  I hardly see him in other short dramas...does he usually do long running dramas?

The suspense is killing me ... is he in a dream?  Is he time-travelling?  Who are the doctors and guides who constantly talk to him ?  And this series certainly brings me back to the ahem...(very softly) eighties...

Oh he met Little Me  at the end of Ep 4... and he witnessed the murder too...is it the first of the serial murders? 

Great job , production team of Korean "LIFE ON MARS"!

Hi @inner

Welcome to Life on Mars... Always good to see someone else jump on board the bandwagon and join in the addiction. ;)

I'm sort of the opposite in that I don't watch as many fluffy dramas... although I do pick up the odd rom com now and again when the mood takes me. 

It is a great production... historically relevant locations, wonderful attention to detail, brilliant cast and most importantly, a well-crafted storyline.

The lead actor is Jung Kyung Ho and he's quite often in cable dramas. I've never seen anything of his that's more than 16 episodes but I'm sure he's done dramas longer than that. He's become one of my favourites in the last year or so. But you can check out his filmography here:

http://asianwiki.com/Jung_Kyoung-Ho_(1983)

If you like fluffy dramas, I recommend Falling for Innocence aka Beating Again (on Netflix). He's really quite delightful in it and quite different from what he is here.

We do some speculating on this thread and we've put significant details from the BBC and US series under spoiler tags. It's uncertain at this point whether the show will end the same way as its predecessors but better safe than sorry.

19 hours ago, triplem said:

Moderator’s note 

For the benefit of those of us on this thread ( like me ) who are not planning to find out the ending on any other versions, please put such info in spoiler button. It will be much appreciated. I think part of the thrill of being on this thread is not knowing  the end till it happens,  and being able to discuss & speculate. 

Sure no problem.... 

TVN and OCN have great dramas and most the dramas I have watched... 

Most of their dramas I have watched online. Their quality is good as other dramas shown in KBS, SBS, MBC

23 hours ago, sheelatpsfm said:

Sure no problem.... 

TVN and OCN have great dramas and most the dramas I have watched... 

Most of their dramas I have watched online. Their quality is good as other dramas shown in KBS, SBS, MBC

Definitely :) It feels so weird seeing cable channels really hit it off. I started watching K dramas around the ''Goong'' era, and I didn't think to bother what channels were what. Now there's TVN, OCN and JTBC. I kind of wished these channels have an award show or something, I know TVN had one but I think it was for their 10th anniversary.

ALOT of my favourite Kdramas these days are mostly from TVN, JTBC and OCN. Though OCN is hella great in Crime/Thriller/Detective type genres. 

Alright based on IG translation, OCN apologises for not being able to broadcast. Due to weather etc , they have been having problems with shooting the scenes & keeping to schedule. To Ensure they don’t overwork staff & at the same time,  keep the quality of the drama , they needed this week off . In its place , they will show the BTS on Saturday & a summary of eps 1 to 8 on Sunday 

16 hours ago, triplem said:

Alright based on IG translation, OCN apologises for not being able to broadcast. Due to weather etc , they have been having problems with shooting the scenes & keeping to schedule. To Ensure they don’t overwork staff & at the same time,  keep the quality of the drama , they needed this week off . In its place , they will show the BTS on Saturday & a summary of eps 1 to 8 on Sunday 

Hehe they already planned for this slack 2 weeks ago. Remember we were discussing the possible scenerio way back in this post:

https://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/414448-current-drama-2018-life-on-mars-라이프-온-마스-sat-sun-2220-kst/?do=findComment&amp;comment=21156530

Last night they showed the BTS , they have put up a number of cuts on OCN YT channel . Some highlights 

Little Tae Joo is such a cute dumpling . 

From last week

Greetings from PD & the cast . More to look forward to next week

Looks like a slightly extended preview for next week 

Spoiler

A bit late but ep 7 was heartbreaking. Ep 8 was heartbreaking too for taejoo.

But ep 7 was heartbreaking for everyone in the house, the kidnappers, our trio and even the hostages. Eventually the kidnappers died in vain, wanting justice and to be treated fairly for the measely crime they committed. What makes the hostage situation more heartwrenching was it's based on a true story. The kidnapping did occur, as far as i'm aware the characters were real (though some dramatisation might be involved), the rich dude which embezzeled money and got a short sentence was also real. The phrase 'if you have money, non-guilty. If you don’t have money, guilty' is also real and iconic. The 'begees-holiday' song request is also real. To me ep 7 is so impactful. It shows the misbalance in the justice system back in those days. Hopefully now it is more balanced and fair.

Some background reading: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ji_Kang_Hun

Ep 9 preview is out! I'm excited!

6 hours ago, triplem said:

Ocn released the MV for ost 1

Bts for eps 7&8

I wish they’d release some new stills ...

Do any of you know, if the ost 'agnes' is a remake or a completely new song? The song is lit and matches the drama.

Archived