[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Legends 招摇

sugarplum892

Thanks to @bluehibiscus for posting these pics. Here’s a translation of what the names of these weapons mean.

ABA6-D4-F1-6-B6-A-45-E1-8-A6-A-56-E6-FC8

Lu He Tian Yi Jian, Lu He refers to the four cardinal directions and Heaven and Earth. So it means The Universe Under One Sword.

39-BD624-E-E993-487-C-8-EFC-23641-AD7541

Wan Jun Jian, means Equal to Ten Thousand Sword ( the other meanings for  don’t make sense so I’m going with equal)

90-A7-CB4-E-90-CA-48-A5-B99-F-14-DAD8-E1

Qing Ge Jian, means Song of Purity Sword

4-ABF4-EFF-1-BC8-46-FE-AAF9-41-C1812-D30

Bai Shui Jian Xin Jian, means Clear Waters Mirror the Heart Sword

1-E8-C5-BF8-538-C-464-C-9-C9-B-5-C475-A9

Feng Ming Jian, means Call of the Phoenix Sword

934-B374-A-4-D12-4-C1-C-ACF9-B03-D6227-D

Ci Xiong Shuang Jian, Female and Male (animals) Couple Swords

0123304-C-F0-DE-4649-BC52-BCCC2487-EF04.

Qing Cang Zhang means Green Steel Staff

618-AB60-C-AEA4-4049-B381-92-E0737-ACCD8

Luo Ri Zhan, means Setting Sun Saber.

F414-D46-A-B1-B3-4-AB6-9-C7-A-52-D269622

Liu Guang Bian means Flowing Light Whip, flowing light refers to the passage of time. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rainnie98 I see, I haven’t checked out the previews for the new eps xD so didn’t see that and the bit where Lin Zhi Yu stabbed MQ in the chest :) (sorry @DontEatMyKimchi). Bleh seem like no bedscene then lol! I wonder how we gonna get it 0.o after JW, and LMX? Before the duel? Not many eps now :(

Also about this kowtow thing, remember ZY taught him the most important thing is to stay alive, so beg for your life if you must. ZY would throw away her dignity (she begged him at the beginning when she lost to him), and she taught him to throw it away if it’s mean to live another day.

6 hours ago, xienrue said:

However annoyed I was last night, the acting in the kneeling scene was the saving grace. When I do my re-watching in the future, that would be the scene that I can replay over and over. Li Chen Lan desperation, how afraid he was, were expressed very well by Xu Kai. Then his expression when he asked Jiang Wu help and then when he was kneeling ..... WOW! :astonished:

I still don't have time to watch the drama so I can't comment that much. But I am quite mesmerized by the acting of the actor who plays Jiang Wu too! From just the MV alone (at 3:20 and 3:23), I feel that JW could fully comprehend how weighted Li Cheng Lan's decision to kneel down was. And at the same time (ok don't bash me if I'm wrong since I haven't watched), he's not able to laugh or gloat at LCL's helplessness as he wants to save Zhao Yao too.

I think we can all definitely agree that the acting of the main cast for this show is solid.

Exclusive Interviews with Xu Kai, Bai Lu and Xiao Yan.

Translation (Please do not repost without permission or credit):

Xu Kai: When Mo Qing had nothing, Zhao Yao was his light.

Spoiler

The role I played has 2 names, Mo Qing and Li Chen Lan. They correspond to his life experiences. During the time when he was Mo Qing, he was very innocent and ignorant about the world. As Li Chen Lan, he is more mature and steady. He has gone through a lot, like the loss of a loved one which leaves him with no one he can trust or depend on. He has nobody to confide in. From an introvert, he became even more reticent and kept all his secrets in his heart. Upon his birth, his existence was riddled with condemnation because he is the son of a demon king. He was perceived as a serious threat to the world when he actually knew nothing. He was not given any choice, simply because of his identity as the son of a demon king. He tried to change this but it was of no use. Hence, he would rather wrong the world than have the world wrong him. He becomes a formidable figure whom others cannot kill and dare not offend but deep down, he does not forget his original intentions and will not cause harm to others.

The way I interpreted the character was at the point when he became Li Chen Lan, he was already weary of life. He had lost all reason for living. He lived not because he wanted to become the Sect Leader or to be in a position of power over many but to wait and see if there was a chance of meeting the love of his life again. If not for this hope and yearning, he would have long departed from the land of the living. He didn't care for being a Sect Leader.

Through the process of depending on each other, their [Li Cheng Lan and Zhao Yao's] relationship slowly evolves from romance to that of a kin. There are many details to this but to sum it up in one sentence, she is his everything. Everything he does is for her. When Mo Qing had absolutely nothing and felt no desire for life while being condemned by everyone around him, she appeared like a ray of light. When he had lost his direction in life, she became his compass and a pillar of emotional support.

What touches me the most is when Zhao Yao encountered difficulties, Mo Qing did not abandon her but chose to support her quietly, without caring whether his life would be placed in peril or not. He remained by her side. If there was danger, he would be the first to block her from the knife of danger.

Bai Lu: Lu Zhaoyao's imperfections are what make her interesting.

Spoiler

In the drama, I played the role of a female demon king. At the beginning, I felt the character was very cool. I guess there were not that many scenes of being a female demon king but it was very cool. I could act domineering and have a bit of fun.

Her character matures at two points. The first is when her grandfather dies. The second is when she returns to take revenge on Li Chen Lan but discovers that he has actually been watching over her all this time and is deeply in love with her. She changes from a domineering woman to a gentle little woman.

[Speaking about the scene in the rain]
It was probably a few degree Celsius that day at Heng Dian. The production team was very kind. They picked a day when there was sun but the sun was of no use. It was still cold and as we shot, the sun disappeared. I was lying mired in mud for 4 hours. The rain drops were large, the type that stings when they hit the face. Due to the plot, they had to make your emotions rise. Not only did I have to lie there and cry, there was a plot to follow and different stages of progression. I was crying, drenched and cold the whole afternoon.

Li Chen Lan fell in love with Lu Zhao Yao at first sight. He has always been in love with her. Because of a misunderstanding, she thought he killed her on purpose and wanted to seek revenge. However her attempts at killing him all failed because he is actually very powerful. Li Chen Lan saw through her early on but was willing to accept it all, be it being stabbed by her or some other things. Later, these little details move Lu Zhao Yao as she is after all female and a kind-hearted one at that.

Li Chen Lan is perfect while Lu Zhao Yao has flaws. Her imperfections are what make her interesting and human. She's a mortal while Li Chen Lan is a demon, the son of a demon king. She has her flaws as well as her strengths. I feel this will resonate with the audience as no human can be perfect.

[Li Chen Lan]‘s love runs long and deep. He is too perfect. He is not the type to announce to the world that he loves you but all his actions tell the world clearly that he loves you. Isn't the sentence great? I came up with it on my own. (laughs) I want to ask Li Chen Lan for royalties.

Q: Do you have any special feelings for tang hulu (candied mountain hawthorn) after filming the drama?

I just fainted from all the tang hulu on stage. I don't particularly like to eat it. Lu Zhao Yao is the one who likes to eat it. I don't really fancy sweet food but I had to eat it for real, for every take. I finished my lifetime share of tang hulu while shooting this drama.

Q: What was your nickname on the set?

I didn't have one. We used our character's names in the actors' group chat but I changed it from Lu Zhao Yao to Former Sect Leader.

Xiao Yan: My real life personality is very different from Qin Zhiyan

Spoiler

Qin Zhiyan is a character that is hopeless at solving problems but has a knack for getting into trouble. She is a crybaby and timid but she has her own opinions about love.

Lu Zhaoyao taught her to grow up and face life while she taught Lu Zhaoyao how to open herself up to love.

I don't like to cry in real life but most of my roles require me to cry a lot. I am more cheerful, less timid and not as adorable.

I often felt I had split personalities [while playing this role] as Lu Zhaoyao and Qin Zhiyan are extremely different. Normally, I try to get close to my character by integrating it into my daily interactions with the other characters. Everyday, I would be thinking if I was supposed to be Lu Zhaoyao or Qin Zhiyan. I often got confused. On the whole, I spent more time being Qin Zhiyan than Lu Zhaoyao. Qin Zhiyan was quite a challenge for me because we are not really similar.

Q: Did you have any special method for getting into your role?

Oh yes. When we were not filming, Cang Ling's teacher for performance/acting got us to say, "Do you like me?" to each other until we got the feeling of genuine love from the other person. We did this N times but the feeling didn't come initially. It was difficult for us to play lovers as we have too great a relationship as friends. (Demonstrates how they did the questioning). It got better later on.

Q: How did you stay warm when filming in the rain?

Warmer pads become useless once they get wet. We could only cover ourselves with comforters. It was really heartwarming and touching when mine got wet and Bai Lu let me get under her comforter with her and hugged me to keep me warm.

Q: What was the greatest challenge about filming a period drama?

Going to the toilet with the exceedingly long wig. It was so long that it touched the ground when I sat down. I had to hold the hair--I can demonstrate the position....[looks at someone else, probably her minder/assistant]...err, it is not very becoming so I will leave it to you to imagine it. (laughs) Like I said, my personality is very different from that in the plot. Also, the costumes were very heavy!

0065APCEgy1g18imhtc2gj322p340e8a.jpg

3 hours ago, ilovetea said:

I still don't have time to watch the drama so I can't comment that much. But I am quite mesmerized by the acting of the actor who plays Jiang Wu too! From just the MV alone (at 3:20 and 3:23), I feel that JW could fully comprehend how weighted Li Cheng Lan's decision to kneel down was. And at the same time (ok don't bash me if I'm wrong since I haven't watched), he's not able to laugh or gloat at LCL's helplessness as he wants to save Zhao Yao too.

I think we can all definitely agree that the acting of the main cast for this show is solid.

@ilovetea: He played JW very well. He said that he’s willing to help not because he (LCL) begged him but because he likes her. That touched my heart! Especially when he actually took out his heart to cure her. It’s ironic how before all that happened ZY wanted him to prove that he loves her by showing her his heart and now he LITERALLY took out his heart. It was a good episode ( sorry to those who didn’t like it). I stopped having google translate the novel for me because I didn’t want to correctly put everything in good English.:lol: It was too much work. 

2 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Li Chen Lan fell in love with Lu Zhao Yao at first sight. He has always been in love with her. Because of a misunderstanding, she thought he killed her on purpose and wanted to seek revenge. However her attempts at killing him all failed because he is actually very powerful. Li Chen Lan saw through her early on but was willing to accept it all, be it being stabbed by her or some other things. Later, these little details move Lu Zhao Yao as she is after all female and a kind-hearted one at that.

We all got all caught up in ZY being strong and domineering that we also forgot she’s a girl. After LCL and ZY got together, her character got toned down to as someone in love that I thought she wasn’t the girl I liked because I always hated it when they portrayed female characters like that, but I guess, after all she is a female and kind-hearted like how BL put it. I also understand how the North Sect leader felt when he thought she wasn’t the LZY he knew. I felt like that too...but in a way, I liked how she put it when JW said she’s his. She said something along the line that’s she’s not his nor MQ but to herself. Correct me if I’m wrong?! LOL..my Chinese is still limited. 

006o5ERXgy1g1atplspyrj30nq0yddjb.jpg006o5ERXgy1g1atpv3omej30w30kt40e.jpg

DROPS the SPOILER BOMB. 

Spoiler

GU HAN GUANG DIES :skull:

006o5ERXgy1g1avdswhrsj30k00u0gnw.jpg7483eeffly1g19cs7dqixj20zj0h4gmi.jpg7483eeffly1g19cs7jo63j20zj0h4q3v.jpg

"The drama added a scene that was not in the novel. SQJ promised GHG she will make a fruit plate before he died. After GHG died, SQJ sat at his spot and shoved the fruits one by one in her mouth while crying. She spent the rest of her life protecting his grave" 

Spoiler

Wow what???? Does he die in the novel or being hinted that way???? I like his character >_< I have to say each character is loveable in a way that I don’t like to see any of them die! (Except for JW lol, he needs to redeem himself lol). Why does he has to die? To make us sad???? No need! We love this light hearted drama lol! No need for the angsty!

AEC7-B78-C-F82-B-4414-BA83-C2980-D461260

I translated this quote wrong before. I think it’s supposed  to be:

“I hope that afterwards when you experience troubled times/ turbulence it will fall upon me.”

Meaning whatever troubles you may face, I hope I will be there to take the burden for you.

Mo Qing says this line in episode 43 when Zhao Yao is dying after exploding for the fourth time.

So my late two cents about what happened in the latest two episodes...

I didn't like the interruption of their wedding... but anyways JW's invasion made it hard for me to swallow that he was accepted as Sect Leader. He invaded Wan Lu Men, killed their people, imprisoned all the leaders... but it made sense for him to be Sect Leader and not given the role of Norther Sect Leader. 1) He would never accept that role of Northern Sect Leader (he has to be the boss). 2) He does not want to work under LCL. 3) He helped saved ZY's life (so LCL and ZY accepted his request to be Sect Leader).

Spoiler

JW also showed us that he actually somewhat does truly love ZY and he's just not obsessed with her. He ripped out his own heart to save her. But of course, ZY's love was given to LCL already, but she feels indebted to JW. 

I do find it a bit sad that QZY's  character was so much at the forefront of the drama before ZY regained her body. Now she pops up here and there in filler scenes (from my perspective, although I do appreciate them). I like her friendship with ZY, even though QZY can be reckless sometimes, she always believed that ZY is worth of love and pushed her to recognize her feelings.

LZY richard simmons me off  She is way too obsessed with LCL. She's worse than JW to ZY. Also she's obsessed with killing ZY. If ZY dies, LCL would not just magically fall for her, but she doesn't seem to understand it, although with my lack of Chinese skills, IDK her intentions anymore. To make LCL hers? To destroy Wan Lu Men? 

As for the kow tow... it was a bit hard to see, and I'm trying to figure out what contrast will come later to justify that extreme plea. To me, it may highlight LCL's bad boss struggle later on with ZY. This man loves ZY so much, she is his weakness and his strength. When he goes full-demon-mode, will that love remain? Because they will be enemies, fighting one another. I believe it will to some extent but as LCL loses himself to his dark side, what will happen? Not only did she save his life as Little Ugly Boy, but she treated him like a friend in the beginning, eating apples together and talking together. She never once saw him as the bad demon others have always told him he was. She saved him because she believed he was more than just an evil demon set to unleash disasters amongst the world. This touched him so much that he wanted to stay by her side forever and he started to love her. As he kow tow, we see all these memories. We are to be reminded that his kow tow were for the sake of saving the one person who believed in his goodness when he had nothing, the one person who he can only ever love for the rest of his life. If he has to beg to save her, he can throw away his pride. It doesn't matter to him. 

As for his powers returning randomly, in my perspective he was still using essence of his dark energy to battle JW at the grave. It was triggered by his extreme emotion in the jail cell. As to why it wasn't unleashed at the interruption of his wedding? I'm not sure.

13 hours ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

DROPS the SPOILER BOMB. 

Reveal hidden contents

GU HAN GUANG DIES :skull:

006o5ERXgy1g1avdswhrsj30k00u0gnw.jpg7483eeffly1g19cs7dqixj20zj0h4gmi.jpg7483eeffly1g19cs7jo63j20zj0h4q3v.jpg

"The drama added a scene that was not in the novel. SQJ promised GHG she will make a fruit plate before he died. After GHG died, SQJ sat at his spot and shoved the fruits one by one in her mouth while crying. She spent the rest of her life protecting his grave" 

Spoiler

Nooo! Why are they doing this! I really like him! Like other than the main leads, he's totally my fav! *cries tears of blood*

4 hours ago, DontEatMyKimchi said:

mar 22 

Hide contents

Video ver

tumblr_por2ytiLDd1u1iqoao1_500.giftumblr_por2ytiLDd1u1iqoao3_r1_500.gif

-buys ten kong kong pills- 

LOL remember that time ZY was struggling to buy just one pill? 

Lol, MQ is extremely rich :joy: too bad ZY wasn’t there, or her face will be like :astonished:

question: is this drama dubbed or using the actor’s own voice?

Zhaoyao's reaction to Li Chen Lan's workload is sweet and like a wife...no wonder he's so rich in Qi Zhi Di :D

Translation:

LZY: I remember when I was Sect Leader, there weren't so many official matters to handle. How is it that when it's your turn, there is so much to do?

Ah Da: Sect Leader, here are some more.

LZY: Mo Qing, take a rest. Leave the rest to me.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Translation:

QZY: Aren't you worried Wan Lu Men will be taken away by JW?

LZY: JW may seem naughty but Mo Qing is the one quietly holding the real power of the sect.

LSQ rolls her eyes and says sarcastically: Little Ugly Boy is so terrific

LZY: He's the man I've chosen. How can he not be?

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Vang Xiong said:

@ilovetea: He played JW very well. He said that he’s willing to help not because he (LCL) begged him but because he likes her. That touched my heart! Especially when he actually took out his heart to cure her.

I was also touched by JW's move. He has learnt to give rather than to take. He really does love Zhaoyao. Too bad he's now trying to kill LCL again.

I found the scene where the 3 of them appeared as Sect Leaders quite funny and couldn't stop laughing.

I enjoyed the scene where LCL rushed to the tree after LZY exploded for the fourth time. Xu Kai really conveyed LCL's anguish, fear and helplessness very well there. It may seem strange that LCLhad suddenly regained his power to fight against JW but like the others said, his agony and further awakening of his dark force could have given him a additional boost of strength. And it's true that saving LZY was all that mattered to him. With the clock ticking against them, I can totally understand why he set aside his dignity and knelt to JW.

Archived