[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

its funny how everyone is concerned with MH to grow up, become a better person and these comments are not even once mentioned for other characters.

What does MH need to do to become a better person? He is a good man even now.

And why in the world do people think MH needs growing up to do? Ye also needs. And most importantly and mostly BY needs that.

so many people don't click with so many other people. But just because that other person in this case is BY aka lead female.. MH becomes a bad person? What about her less intense stalkerish/ irritating behavior to gain his attention.. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@enigmatic_zephy I think its primarily because of his half-@** apology to BY after drunkenly telling JW about her liking him in the past, basically painting her as crazy person. Not to mention that he has been half a jerk to her throughout the first half of the drama. I agree thay he has bee quite nice to BY in the recent episodes but that's only because he decided that he likes her. He's not entirely evil and we've seen glimpses of his goodness, but I honestly think that would still be pulling those awful pranks if it werent for the fact that he likes her now. 

While I quite agree that his attitude might have been affected by his family's treatment of him, he still needs to learn to not use that excuse (in his mind) in order to justify any misbehaving in the future. That's the growth that I want to see. We still havent seen how he'll react the news of JW&BY dating, so I'll reserve my judgement.

One prime example of his pettiness is rubbing it in JW's face that he was with BY and implying that they were alone together at the beach. Another is when he pushed BY to forget about JW quickly..not because he was a concerned friend (as BY wouldve expected) but because he had an ulterior motive. I find that a little childish though he has an excuse and thats because he liked her. This is where he's different from JW. Dr. Ye acknowledged his faults and asked for a second chance, completely aware that BY's heart may not be with him after being rejected by him (remember, he saw her with MH a lot). JW is just as straightforward as BY. When they decided to date, they say what they mean and mean what they say which is more than I can say for MH. I still wish the best for MH though, hope he gets a good girl and appreciates her right back without missing the timing.

And you're absolutely right about the others needing a lot of growing up too. I think we've seen that in NW last episode. 

P.S.  i want to thank you for still sticking to the thread despite having read a lot of YEliners thoughts. I keep remembering back when i was at FBND and i was rooting for the other guy that didnt end up with the girl. lol. Everyone had strong points to say but everyone still remained respectful. :) I know we still have 4 episodes and there are still MH shippers and Im honestly on tenterhooks as well because I dont know this writer well and there's always a first time. Nevertheless Im still a Yeliner through and through. HA! 

Im also glad that we dont call each other names here for shipping opposite liners. lmao I find comments on other forums that are just beyond laughable. Lol

Anyway, 4 episodes remaining.. I think BY's sad in the preview because the guest doctor? is sick and needs treatment and she idolizes him.

@Nodame Thanks for your thoughts too, chinggu. 

@bella1025 @enigmatic_zephy  I agree we can agree to disagree on Yeh and MH respectfully.

@bella1025 Thanks for recounting why we feel MH needs to grow up in terms of his dealings with BY in the past and that long ago. We know he can be a decent person and caring when he wants. But he is used to getting his own way (maybe not at home) but with friends and what his parents money can afford. But it was how immaturely he reacted in certain situations . 

@enigmatic_zephy I see you mentioning no one is fully mature and needs to grow up. No one is perfect I see that. But even if JW feels emotionally stunted he was immature plotting revenge for BY. I agree BUT he had self awareness what he did was not right and even chastised himself. He was ashamed of himself. I don’t recall MH doing that at all after shows Ng embarrassing pic of BY to JW or when drunk outing her one sided crush on him. He even boasted proudly how he rejected her too. When he had to share info he didn’t want to , JW wanted immaturely for him to get a taste of his own medicine. Doesn’t make it right but he did it. 

Deliberately tripping someone is wrong and MH did that to BY. BY in MH eyes is a stalker you could say from one perspective but she was harmless and did not have ill intentions. She cleaned his car, gave him good Kim Bap, happily cheered him on for soccer & even wished him happy bday. So you could say he harshly rejected her deliberately as a result. 

BY is sensitive and enthusiastic but she is NOT petty or deliberately mean. When she will reject MH she won’t do what he did to her. She is empathetic and very considerate of others tearing up easily ie hearing MH sadness meeting his parents & forgetting his bday. Or YJ seeing her ex at the hospital or hearing JW back story Of why he left.

MH as @bella1025 pointed out though saying he wanted her happy he really wasn’t looking out for BY but himself- when upset with JW , he told her to just get over him quick. Both JW and BY were considerate of the other when they got together and that was beautiful. As others eloquently mentioned and glad they got that time together.

i am very enjoy on reading the comment here.. :)

I totally understand how it feels when have second lead syndrome,  my recent experience was Jealousy Incarnate , i stopped watching half way. I come across of an article about LJH interview with a magazine . He said that this drama will elaborate about stories beyond the lead which he finds very special and rare. So i would expect there are many more stories to cover in just 4 episodes.

1 hour ago, bella1025 said:

@enigmatic_zephy I think its primarily because of his half-@** apology to BY after drunkenly telling JW about her liking him in the past,

What about Ye then? when he couldn't defend the honor of a woman he supposedly was in relationship with? people gossip about it.. you don't like it .. so you leave.. no decency to ask them to shut up or that you don't want to discuss such things..

Mh was jealous.. as are so many male leads in other drama and people go "aww" all over that. Was MH right? No... but the way people are writing about his "growing up" .. it makes one wonder what exactly did he do that was so wrong for everyone preaching how he should live and become a good human..

Yes it was one stupid action from a desperate boy in love... trying to keep others away from her.. (selfish) .... like it was super pretentious of BY (and so much more ugly underlying emotion of pretense) to go crying and gloat in everyone's compliment to think she was the reason that boy GB decided to co-operate in the therapy... (I am not saying BY is not good, she is and kind.. but some part of her does all of this for not so selfless reasons)

basically painting her as crazy person. Not to mention that he has been half a jerk to her throughout the first half of the drama. I agree thay he has bee quite nice to BY in the recent episodes but that's only because he decided that he likes her. He's not entirely evil and we've seen glimpses of his goodness, but I honestly think that would still be pulling those awful pranks if it werent for the fact that he likes her now. 

awful pranks?

- bursting the bubble? what if they were two boys? or did i miss something.. wasn't he nice to her in college too... how was she part of his circle on social gatherings (please note it wasn't the study circle celebrating occassions everywhere)

how many times have we seen BY do something nice for her step brother? the two lady interns? Dr. Park? - ZILCH

Please note, BY also does nice things to those people whom she really likes..

The reasons for which BY didn't like MH, MH never did them in the first place.. which NW told her much later..and it is from that point onwards she also stopped throwing her seniority weight around him (like ordering him with a little rude note)...

In most of the dramas, i think focusing on the girl gets the answers... if she is not being nice to others and being nice to a few.. there is a reason

While I quite agree that his attitude might have been affected by his family's treatment of him, he still needs to learn to not use that excuse (in his mind) in order to justify any misbehaving in the future. That's the growth that I want to see. We still havent seen how he'll react the news of JW&BY dating, so I'll reserve my judgement.

One prime example of his pettiness is rubbing it in JW's face that he was with BY and implying that they were alone together at the beach. Another is when he pushed BY to forget about JW quickly..not because he was a concerned friend (as BY wouldve expected) but because he had an ulterior motive. I find that a little childish though he has an excuse and thats because he liked her. This is where he's different from JW. Dr. Ye acknowledged his faults and asked for a second chance, completely aware that BY's heart may not be with him after being rejected by him (remember, he saw her with MH a lot). JW is just as straightforward as BY. When they decided to date, they say what they mean and mean what they say which is more than I can say for MH. I still wish the best for MH though, hope he gets a good girl and appreciates her right back without missing the timing.

Correct, and he acknowledged it in his poem.. even though she is hurt from rejection, his heart sighs a relief.. how is that a jerk reaction? It is a real life normal reaction.

Didn't ye also sprung into action because he thought he would lose BY to MH? was that a jerk reaction or pettiness. I am not very sure if you are comparing JW's proposal to BY (who confessed her love to him 2 days prior) to MH not proposing a girl (who has just been rejected..)

wasn't that actually the better thing to say? 

- in her interest

- and in his own interest

Infact, all through that beach he could have tried getting close to her right like NW kept saying..but he didn't. Also, when he is caring for her.. he does it in a very laid back way so that she doesnt get uncomfortable thinking he is doing it for her..

While i agree with you on Ye being straighforward.. BY is anything but straightforward.. don't mistake her crying with being staightforward... the only instance of her being "straightforward" is when she confessed to Ye because she had nothing to lose ( also she is a girl who has never had a boyfriend, has been convinced into thinking that she is on yeline, and someone is actually being nice to her)

And you're absolutely right about the others needing a lot of growing up too. I think we've seen that in NW last episode. 

Lol.. exactly, i just want everyone to acknowledge that all characters are good and worse at par.. nobody is more jerk than the other.. so yea.. it bugs  me when people keep doling advice to MH :)

him and Dr. Kim (the lady) are probably the most mature characters along with the Director in this show ( and who are genuinely nice , not wanting something in return)... add defcon too..

and if there is one person who is truly capable of being a jerk.. then that's Jooyoung joo young :) but then he is my favourite character :tongue: so i don't crib

P.S.  i want to thank you for still sticking to the thread despite having read a lot of YEliners thoughts. I keep remembering back when i was at FBND and i was rooting for the other guy that didnt end up with the girl. lol. Everyone had strong points to say but everyone still remained respectful. :) I know we still have 4 episodes and there are still MH shippers and Im honestly on tenterhooks as well because I dont know this writer well and there's always a first time. Nevertheless Im still a Yeliner through and through. HA! 

Im also glad that we dont call each other names here for shipping opposite liners. lmao I find comments on other forums that are just beyond laughable. Lol

Anyway, 4 episodes remaining.. I think BY's sad in the preview because the guest doctor? is sick and needs treatment and she idolizes him.

@Nodame Thanks for your thoughts too, chinggu. 

1 hour ago, Nodame said:

@bella1025 @enigmatic_zephy  I agree we can agree to disagree on Yeh and MH respectfully.

@bella1025 Thanks for recounting why we feel MH needs to grow up in terms of his dealings with BY in the past and that long ago. We know he can be a decent person and caring when he wants. But he is used to getting his own way (maybe not at home) but with friends and what his parents money can afford. But it was how immaturely he reacted in certain situations . 

@enigmatic_zephy I see you mentioning no one is fully mature and needs to grow up. No one is perfect I see that. But even if JW feels emotionally stunted he was immature plotting revenge for BY. I agree BUT he had self awareness what he did was not right and even chastised himself. He was ashamed of himself. I don’t recall MH doing that at all after shows Ng embarrassing pic of BY to JW or when drunk outing her one sided crush on him. He even boasted proudly how he rejected her too. When he had to share info he didn’t want to , JW wanted immaturely for him to get a taste of his own medicine. Doesn’t make it right but he did it. 

This i just explained or rather gave me perspective on another reply above

Deliberately tripping someone is wrong and MH did that to BY. BY in MH eyes is a stalker you could say from one perspective but she was harmless and did not have ill intentions. She cleaned his car, gave him good Kim Bap, happily cheered him on for soccer & even wished him happy bday. So you could say he harshly rejected her deliberately as a result. 

This is interesting point. And i am going to take this for its deeper meaning and not APAD related.

When you say BY is right. Visualize this,

a guy likes a girl on campus. He is always following her around, touching her things (without permission.. he is doing it out of love.. but leaving his presence on everything she owns), every little gesture of the girl is construed as her liking him which makes the girl uncomfortable, .. by being that obvious he might also be scaring or putting other boys away from the girl.

Now if the girl has the strength to end it there(like MH) did.. great..

but what if it just went on forever .. see unwanted attention is never a good thing.. maybe unless you are very very sure that the other person loves you but is angry and needs coaxing

BY is sensitive and enthusiastic but she is NOT petty or deliberately mean. When she will reject MH she won’t do what he did to her. She is empathetic and very considerate of others tearing up easily ie hearing MH sadness meeting his parents & forgetting his bday. Or YJ seeing her ex at the hospital or hearing JW back story Of why he left.

MH as @bella1025 pointed out though saying he wanted her happy he really wasn’t looking out for BY but himself- when upset with JW , he told her to just get over him quick. Both JW and BY were considerate of the other when they got together and that was beautiful. As others eloquently mentioned and glad they got that time together.

two words: step brother

and you know that is the worst thing anyone can do to anyone else.. negate their whole existence.. make them regret they were born.. tell them they don't have a family.. and maybe that is why her mother works extra hard at loving the step son to balance out BY's acerbic words

A child who has no family, born because two adults decided to be jerks... nobody to take care of him.. isn't he the youngest... if it were not for BY's mom.. he could have gotten into wrong company... 

39 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

two words: step brother

If I remember correctly, she didn't tell it to his face but when he was away (bathroom?) ? (Can't find witch episode she go eat with him and her mom)

About the step-brother, he is not the biological child of BY mother but BY father with another woman. She say in the first episode that their father left them with huge debt and the child (who is not a baby but probably around 10 years old). Because of him she had to work part time and let go of her dream while her mom had to raised the child. She even learned that the child exist after the funeral. But in the end, BY mother treat him better than she treat BY.

On one side you got BY who lost the prize she won fairly, is humiliated about MH and doesn't feel that anybody aknowlegde her hard work.  She can't go to her house because there is YJ there and she feel like she is at work because she has to do everything. Then when she go to her family for some kind of solace, she find a lazy brother while she has to work as his age. Her mother forgive him for everything and she feel it's unfair. He is the catalyst of her lost dream.

It's like a parent who say they love their children the same but got one children who is hard working and does his best and another who is the opposite. The hard working will feel it's unfair to get as mutch love as the one who do nothing and since the other one do nothing, the parents generally take care of him more and in the end the hard working feel it's even more unfair and may even start to do bad things.

If BY come home and feel that way, it's kind of logical. I don't say she is right to react that way but it's understandable.

50 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

a guy likes a girl on campus. He is always following her around, touching her things (without permission.. he is doing it out of love.. but leaving his presence on everything she owns), every little gesture of the girl is construed as her liking him which makes the girl uncomfortable, .. by being that obvious he might also be scaring or putting other boys away from the girl.

You are so right when you say this. She stalked him. We can all say that there is worst type of stalking but it still is.

The only thing I would say about it is that MH give her many true mix signal. In a flashback of episode 1, she is late for work so he proposed to take her there and he say that if she got there on time they have to date then he say the "just kidding". After that he say she is cool for liking poetry. Then he tell her story to make him a victim so she do her work. She shouldn't have stalk him but MH is not innocent and like you said, as soon as MH told her to stop she did.

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Correct, and he acknowledged it in his poem.. even though she is hurt from rejection, his heart sighs a relief.. how is that a jerk reaction? It is a real life normal reaction.

Didn't ye also sprung into action because he thought he would lose BY to MH? was that a jerk reaction or pettiness. I am not very sure if you are comparing JW's proposal to BY (who confessed her love to him 2 days prior) to MH not proposing a girl (who has just been rejected..)

wasn't that actually the better thing to say? 

- in her interest

- and in his own interest

Infact, all through that beach he could have tried getting close to her right like NW kept saying..but he didn't. Also, when he is caring for her.. he does it in a very laid back way so that she doesnt get uncomfortable thinking he is doing it for her..

You are right that it's normal for a guy to be relieved when he learn that the girl he like got rejected and that doesn't make him bad but human.

I think that he waited to confess only because he know it's too soon and she will say no just for. He wait for it to have the most success rate.

And the fact that he is nice but not to her face make me remember the e1nd of the episode where they go help in the countryside (the one with the chicken) when he say at the end that he see her good point. I still feel it's him not assuming totally is feeling.

Lol.. exactly, i just want everyone to acknowledge that all characters are good and worse at par.. nobody is more jerk than the other.. so yea.. it bugs  me when people keep doling advice to MH :)

There are just human and not perfect. They all can be better but since BY is the MC, it's her relationship with the other that it's seen the most.

From the begining of the show and even before they introduce JW, we mostly see MH being mean and childish with her and the only thing that "excuse him" (it doesn't really) is his family.

YJ and SW used her but then you learn that YJ divorced because she can't have a child and to protect her ex-husband lie to him and SW got a hard time because of money and his mom. In truth they are neither good or bad but normal like most people.

The reasons for which BY didn't like MH, MH never did them in the first place.. which NW told her much later..and it is from that point onwards she also stopped throwing her seniority weight around him (like ordering him with a little rude note)...

Well she is his superior but ever since the begining she say she will forget about her past and just be professional. It's him who isn't. Look at episode 2 with the guy who lost a leg. She got punished for his mistake. He doesn't care about his job and do nothing to get better. When they go to the countryside and while she work, he make her fall with the chicken and give her more work. It's always like that.

I think that without the past, she would have been mutch harder on him.

I started watching this because I was skimming the comments here and was intrigued and am glad I started. I am at episode 4 and so far the story is interesting and I like the focus and the stories. Very heart warming drama.

14 minutes ago, hyall said:

I started watching this because I was skimming the comments here and was intrigued and am glad I started. I am at episode 4 and so far the story is interesting and I like the focus and the stories. Very heart warming drama.

Welcome !

it is the heart warming and so close to reality that makes me continue this drama, the daily life working in hospital.. .. of coz the first catch my attention is LJH being as main role, and i am curious what kind of drama is this . :D

2 hours ago, yusefull said:

There are just human and not perfect. They all can be better but since BY is the MC, it's her relationship with the other that it's seen the most.

From the begining of the show and even before they introduce JW, we mostly see MH being mean and childish with her and the only thing that "excuse him" (it doesn't really) is his family.

This is bothering me..

MH has not once used his family as an excuse... no one even knows about it... BY found out accidently... even closest of his friend don't..

Don't imply things that he hasn't done :)

And again, mean.. was he mean.. when the show started, he didn't like her.. and didn't want to associate with her.. why is that wrong. .. atleast he wasn't pretending to be nice on her face ( which btw BY does a lot)

Ye is equally rude in his dealing with other people.. who is he to judge if people are behaving properly or not.. his definition, his way.. nah!

My pet peeve right now is..nobody is questioning BY.. the female protagnist never gets questioned..

Male leads do, second leads do.. for good or for bad.. but female lead is blanket nice.. unless its a show like misty where the write rhas to be in your face to make you think about the motivations of the female lead...

By isn't as nice and hence if you are going to use the parameter of her relationships with others to judge i fothers are good people or not in the context of the drama... you have to first consider if BY's intentions and behavior is not driving their reaction... 

eg. MH was he being a jerk in ep 1 or was he put face to face with a woman who was very weird and pretentious with him (from his perspective)... Is Ye nice because he is nice.. o rbecause he just came out of a relationship and there was someone around to make him laugh and someone who was in childlike awe of him...

and do you really think step brother thinks sis loves him? well if he doesn't then that means BY was mean to him.. and if he does then that means she is pretending being nice.. a genuinely nice and kind person will not, cannot, doesnot pretend with anyone.. not even a stranger

21 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

This is bothering me..

MH has not once used his family as an excuse... no one even knows about it... BY found out accidently... even closest of his friend don't..

The writers did.  You said that botter you that poeple think that MH need the most growth but we do with what we see.

YJ never told a character about her ex-husband but the writer make us avare of it so we can be compassionate with her.

MH didn't say anything about his family but the writer make us know so we are compasionate with him.

36 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

And again, mean.. was he mean.. when the show started, he didn't like her.. and didn't want to associate with her.. why is that wrong. .. atleast he wasn't pretending to be nice on her face ( which btw BY does a lot)

He was nice with her while he needed her. Even if it was unconscious, he used her so he didn't have to do his college work. He was nice with her and give her compliment. It just it was too mutch at some point.

(I still believe he liked her then but didn't assumed it)

26 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Ye is equally rude in his dealing with other people.. who is he to judge if people are behaving properly or not.. his definition, his way.. nah!

Why a superior telling people how to do a better job is so weird ? He only meet them in the work environement and tell them advice about it.

27 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

My pet peeve right now is..nobody is questioning BY.. the female protagnist never gets questioned..

We just say that she stalked MH and what she said about her stop bro wasn't the nicest.

39 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

By isn't as nice and hence if you are going to use the parameter of her relationships with others to judge i fothers are good people or not in the context of the drama... you have to first consider if BY's intentions and behavior is not driving their reaction... 

She is nice to most people. She is kind to her patient, to people she just meet (the grandma with the cart for exemple (and when MH see her doing it, he say she is nice)). She isn't with MH because she believe he is the one that tell on her and her step-brother.

29 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

and do you really think step brother thinks sis loves him? well if he doesn't then that means BY was mean to him.. and if he does then that means she is pretending being nice.. a genuinely nice and kind person will not, cannot, doesnot pretend with anyone.. not even a stranger

I never said that BY was perfect but I try to explain what her brother could mean to her. It would be weird for her to love him after all that. They didn't grow up together. She didn't meet him as a baby. She meet him after learning that her recently dead father betray her and her mother and make their life mutch more harder. She was just a normal hight school girl at that time and that give her a big scar.

Just because of the blood doesn't automatically imply that you do. Some family member in real life doesn't like each other.

@enigmatic_zephy I just want to comment on your statement regarding BY being rude to her stepbrother. I dont think anyone her ever pictured BY as the perfect heroine who's incapable of making mistakes. She has flaws too, and thay includes not being in a close relationship with her stepbro to a point that she doesnt seem to even want to include him when she met her mom. But here's the thing, I never liked the stepbro myself. While watching that scene, I understood BY's feelings because that bro looked like a slacker to me, and was extremely spoiled by her mom. Now, I dont know the rest of the story of how he and the mom grew close, but i imagine its because they lived in the same house and mom looked after him so it was either she'd grew to hate him or love him as a son.

Understand this... BY, despite her many misgivings and shortcomings still chose to support her family, and that includes the stepbro. We've never seen the mom work abd BY even uses make up samples as per YJ, so i imagine that almost her whole pay if not full.. went to supporting both of them. This drama is teaching us to not focus on the surface or facade that people put up. BY might blab thay she dislikes the stepbro but she still supports him financially. That is a true testament of how she truly is as a person. Pretty much how she can easily forgive anyone even if they dont apologize straight away. 

I also want to add that when I mentioned how straightforward BY is, I meant that she's outspoken about her feelings. You cant discoubt the fact that she can hold her ground if push comes to shove, like when she told YJ that she's not starting anything with MH. Or when she spoke about her patients, or when NW needed a place to stay. I can name a few more but the fact remains that she says whats on her mind when adn if the situatiob calls for it. The reason why she hadnt spoken up about her workload or her basically being SW's errand girl in the beginning of the episode was because, she was worried about her job and it felt like going along with her seniors is much better than putting up a fight. I dont know when it all started because I hadnt seen any scenes of BY's  outspokenness prior to the most recent episodes, but i think it was all due to JW's support. His mere presence encouraged her to bring more of herself to her job and to the table and taught her thay she can still be respectful to her seniors without being turned into a doormat. 

59 minutes ago, bella1025 said:

@enigmatic_zephy I just want to comment on your statement regarding BY being rude to her stepbrother. I dont think anyone her ever pictured BY as the perfect heroine who's incapable of making mistakes. She has flaws too, and thay includes not being in a close relationship with her stepbro to a point that she doesnt seem to even want to include him when she met her mom. But here's the thing, I never liked the stepbro myself. While watching that scene, I understood BY's feelings because that bro looked like a slacker to me, and was extremely spoiled by her mom. Now, I dont know the rest of the story of how he and the mom grew close, but i imagine its because they lived in the same house and mom looked after him so it was either she'd grew to hate him or love him as a son.

Understand this... BY, despite her many misgivings and shortcomings still chose to support her family, and that includes the stepbro. We've never seen the mom work abd BY even uses make up samples as per YJ, so i imagine that almost her whole pay if not full.. went to supporting both of them. This drama is teaching us to not focus on the surface or facade that people put up. BY might blab thay she dislikes the stepbro but she still supports him financially. That is a true testament of how she truly is as a person. Pretty much how she can easily forgive anyone even if they dont apologize straight away. 

I also want to add that when I mentioned how straightforward BY is, I meant that she's outspoken about her feelings. You cant discoubt the fact that she can hold her ground if push comes to shove, like when she told YJ that she's not starting anything with MH. Or when she spoke about her patients, or when NW needed a place to stay. I can name a few more but the fact remains that she says whats on her mind when adn if the situatiob calls for it. The reason why she hadnt spoken up about her workload or her basically being SW's errand girl in the beginning of the episode was because, she was worried about her job and it felt like going along with her seniors is much better than putting up a fight. I dont know when it all started because I hadnt seen any scenes of BY's  outspokenness prior to the most recent episodes, but i think it was all due to JW's support. His mere presence encouraged her to bring more of herself to her job and to the table and taught her thay she can still be respectful to her seniors without being turned into a doormat. 

precisely my point... people jump too quickly to save and defend other characters despite their atrocious behavior and only keep teling MH to grow up.. Makes zero sense..

if you want MH to grow up, just don't single him out

On BY: you are again doing the same thing about giving her the credit by completely discounting the other variables.

1. NW: didn't MH offer him time and again an option. It was NW's self respect that he didn't want to freeload off MH. But how does BY suggesting translate to her being "blunt and honest" ? .. she was the one who found out NW's condition, she is the one who stays in that intern dormitory (and thereby the one privy to information that rooms are empty and there is space for NW to apply).. .. this is sharing an information only she knows and that telling it to the person in need.. this says nothing about her upfront character.. NOTHING

2. step bro came in when dad died.. and since step bro had noone left, BY's mom took him in. he is younger to BY who has been working fro only 2 years now.. slacker or not, its more realistic to assume he is still a student... a step mom loves him.. and he loves her back.. that is not an easy relationship by far... and even if he is let's say the worst son you could have on this planet.. that does not justify BY..

look being kind to strangers is easy.. much much much more easy.. infact maybe her problem is she can't say no (as a weakness.. not as a goodwill.. although it gets translated into goodwill).. BY is normal.. very very normal..yes definitely not richard simmons that's her strength..but then i would say the richard simmons ones are designed to be worse than normal..

And i would come back to the same point, genuinely nice people don't pick and choose. By is also someone who does not have a spine.. when you quote moments of her being capable to stand for herself.. you completely all those moments when she doesn't.. and lets others tread on her (the interns don't respect her but has she ever been able to resolve that or deal with it headon? Dr. Park? patients looking down upon her? .. NO)

BY is not someone who stands her ground or can stand up for someone.

She reacts only when she is super confident of the other person. e.g. she knows Ye is a nice person.. she respects him.. and she knows that he isn't someone who would mock her self respect... and she is genuinely affected by him.. therefore she says her mind.

Same with MH.. ditto.. (as in they are same age, talk informally right? and he doesn't exactly affect her because he is junior to her, has no control over her career, he is not someone who is interested in her and has rejected her so there is no question of love/romance there that she has to please him, and she knows he wasn't the one to blurt out her confession secret)

BY is someone who can't speak what's on her mind even to her roommate.. and that lady is really cool..

You are giving her too much credit. She is nice..but no better or worse than other characters (except the two lady interns i guess :tongue: )

1 hour ago, yusefull said:

The writers did.  You said that botter you that poeple think that MH need the most growth but we do with what we see.

YJ never told a character about her ex-husband but the writer make us avare of it so we can be compassionate with her.

MH didn't say anything about his family but the writer make us know so we are compasionate with him.

lol. but if audience sympathizes with a character on its own then how can it blame the character of using that excuse? that way everyone has a back story.. and everyone is sympathizing with someone for some reason.

If audience decided something, they have to take the onus  responsibility of that decision also.. you can't blame others for what you do. 

He was nice with her while he needed her. Even if it was unconscious, he used her so he didn't have to do his college work. He was nice with her and give her compliment. It just it was too mutch at some point.

(I still believe he liked her then but didn't assumed it)

Watch again, BY offered to do homework.. he didn't..

BY made all her decisions on her own because she was infatuated with him..

and writer does make it clear with MH when NW pointed it out to him that BY can't say no.. and that's when he connected the dot..

again, let BY take the responsibility of her actions.. why should the world get scolded for that :) 

Why a superior telling people how to do a better job is so weird ? He only meet them in the work environement and tell them advice about it.

is he superior to director?

We just say that she stalked MH and what she said about her stop bro wasn't the nicest.

She is nice to most people. She is kind to her patient, to people she just meet (the grandma with the cart for exemple (and when MH see her doing it, he say she is nice)). She isn't with MH because she believe he is the one that tell on her and her step-brother.

I never said that BY was perfect but I try to explain what her brother could mean to her. It would be weird for her to love him after all that. They didn't grow up together. She didn't meet him as a baby. She meet him after learning that her recently dead father betray her and her mother and make their life mutch more harder. She was just a normal hight school girl at that time and that give her a big scar.

Just because of the blood doesn't automatically imply that you do. Some family member in real life doesn't like each other.

Last line.. true.. 

see i will again coem back to my original point.. you are saying what i am saying.. other characters including main ones have major big huge gargantuan flaws.. so let's just be cognizant of that.. and not single out one character

29 minutes ago, vira28 said:

No one perfect in this drama, but what i know and feel from the stories is JW perfect for BY and vice versa, Case Close :D

agree! and lets just agree to disagree yea? :)

@enigmatic_zephy I like writing about BY and Ye as much as you like writing about MH. Seeing as MH is part of the main characters, it's unavoidable to discuss him. I can't say it for everyone else here, but I've also discussed the other characters faults and motivations in my previous posts, but seeing as I see them as supporting characters, I just don't feel the need to discuss them at length. 

We appear to have differing opinions about the level of maturity the 3 characters have, and as I have already stated why I think MH has a lot more growing up to do than the other two main characters. My opinion still stands.  

I respect your right to see BY as a character who is just as flawed. :) Our perception of the plot and the characters' motivations are subjective, after all. It's not my intention to convince you to my way of thinking, nor will you be able to convert mine. I'm merely stating what I've observed over the last 12 episodes so I hope you understand.

I have been off soompi because of work. Things seemed to have changed on tone.

At the end of the day, when someone ends up as a 2nd lead at the end game; it is because the writer wrote it so. 

Let's not kid ourselves, it hurts. It took me months to get over it on Jealously incarnate even though I normally love the male actor who was the male lead. The 2nd lead was AWESOME.

So no matter how perfect the guy or girl is. No matter how supportive he can to the girl. How much he sacrifices for her.

No matter his back story. No matter how immature he can be. Or how mature. No matter how nasty or vindictive he is. Or how remorseful he is at the end of the drama. No matter if they end up going overseas, go to jail, study elsewhere, end up being siblings or in law.

No matter any or all... at the end of the day it is the writer. How well is he written? How badly is he written? How good is his story arc? How much or little screen time? How satisfying is his end story? Who am I kidding? When you don't get the girl- there are alwaya some fans who scream blue murder " how unfair it is." No matter if the 2nd male lead ends up with a another girl.

No matter what. All these?

All predetermined. Unless it is one of the rare instances the planned 2nd lead gets the girl.

And for this story where SMH has a pretty significant screen time happening. I presume the writer has a plan.

Logical  deductions. Or suitability does not make someone likely to end up with the girl. 

If at the end of the day, the writer decides to leave the guy a douchebag. Or Mr Perfect or Mr Heartbroken. They will. The writer is perfectly capable of not making the 2nd male lead evolve. Or give him a wth sort of ending.

SMH's story is what it is. I attribute things to him based on what we see on screen. Nothing more. In these cases I blame the writer for making things this way because previously it was confusing. And now it looks as if it is heading towards the planned ending.

Unless there is a twist. Which half the time it does.

That's why I hate shipping. Especially 2nd lead shipping. I usually end up driving myself crazy for the drama run. 

Crazy, frustrated, upset, sad, I sometimes cry, hopeful, in love, swooning then usually end up traumatised. Because that is what Kdramas writers excel at.

D*mn them.

However if it ends up destroying your love of the drama. Or the fan threads take on a bad turn. That's when the experiences sours a person. That's worse than doing a simple 2nd lead shipping.

I am making a general statement here from previous soompi threads endings. It hasn't reached that stage here. Yet.

14 minutes ago, bella1025 said:

@enigmatic_zephy I like writing about BY and Ye as much as you like writing about MH. Seeing as MH is part of the main characters, it's unavoidable to discuss him. I can't say it for everyone else here, but I've also discussed the other characters faults and motivations in my previous posts, but seeing as I see them as supporting characters, I just don't feel the need to discuss them at length. 

We appear to have differing opinions about the level of maturity the 3 characters have, and as I have already stated why I think MH has a lot more growing up to do than the other two main characters. My opinion still stands.  

I respect your right to see BY as a character who is just as flawed. :) Our perception of the plot and the characters' motivations are subjective, after all. It's not my intention to convince you to my way of thinking, nor will you be able to convert mine. I'm merely stating what I've observed over the last 12 episodes so I hope you understand.

he he.. ofcourse.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion..

and indeed.. writer has the final say.. you see what you want to see.. you think what you want to think.. the real motivations.. only writer knows

@enigmatic_zephy Exactly. :) Only the writer knows where she'll be taking this story. Nevertheless, we're all free to speculate and this is what the discussion thread is for. I actually blame the writer for all the frustration she caused me trying to understand this drama, but I guess she did her part right because most of the threads I've been to are so into discussing the characters motivations and what'll happen to them at the end. This drama has me on tenterhooks as much as Empire of Gold did in the past. That one, I can't even talk about. Sigh.  

Archived