[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

1 hour ago, bella1025 said:

@enigmatic_zephy Exactly. :) Only the writer knows where she'll be taking this story. Nevertheless, we're all free to speculate and this is what the discussion thread is for. I actually blame the writer for all the frustration she caused me trying to understand this drama, but I guess she did her part right because most of the threads I've been to are so into discussing the characters motivations and what'll happen to them at the end. This drama has me on tenterhooks as much as Empire of Gold did in the past. That one, I can't even talk about. Sigh.  

tell me.. what is empire of gold about and good? where to watch.. do i need subs or is it uk/us production

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ck1Oz AMEN!

I had second lead syndrome for a few dramas-- Chilbong (Reply 19994---I could not get into Trash & became a fan of Yoon Yoo Seok as a result) , Jealousy Incarnate---I loved him (Go Jung Pyo as Jung Won)  and I like the lead as the actor Jo Jung Suk but his character's personality typical arrogant /cold lead until he is in love not so much), She was Pretty ( I liked both actors but Choi Siwon excelled as Shin Hyuk).

In the end it is all about the writer of the drama, where the writer wants to lead us. I agree rare rare times the second lead wins. I read that Park Shi Hoo came popular and got the gal as the second lead but that was not the original plan.

I liked that we were mature and gave our points on what our thoughts on all the characters. To agree to disagree. I am glad there was no flaming or name calling. We are all allowed to voice our viewpoints and opinions. @enigmatic_zephy @bella1025 @yusefull

Sometimes we have to fill in with our thoughts/impressions when we are not giving the full facts or representations of the OTP and others. I LOVE that are slowly getting each person's back story. It is not only 100% the OTP . But seeing the pain of YJ divorce and inability to have children (though I don't agree with her being a noble idiot decision),  SW (mother and wife and money struggles and taking care of his infant twins), NW (his dating experience and cruelty of reality and life now allowing him the "luxury" to relax and date). We don't know much about MC back story, but we know he avoids going home immediately. The two interns we don't know much other than they are close. 

Yeah we do write about the OTP alot as that is how it gets our interest and thoughts. I admit I have written about the OTP and MH as well due to how the plot has been thickening.

Yesh the characters are flawed and not perfect. Heck we as people are not perfect. But these imperfections make it more real. I love that the drama brings other dramas short comings ---in REALITY into light. I LIKE we have to people after surmounting obstacles and personal demons say ---I like you. 

BY though she was dogged with lots of work and not happy about it, she had to hold it in or risk losing her job or chance being a FT. That would rot after slogging a few years to lose that chance. Plus SW would repeatedly hold it over her head if she looked reluctant ---like dangling the carrot you don't want to jeopardize your chances to be a FT.

As for secrets and not sharing with her room YJ, we all have secrets. Though she is close to YJ, she did not tell her not because she was excited and to hold it in. On the contrary she saw a scarred JW from previous gossip and being the fodder for it not was fun for him. Plus he is not perfect not wanting to talk to her after she does---but seriously you cheated on him with the guy who was being sued in the court case. I cannot blame JW for not wanting to talk to her and close the door on that part of his life.  It is not unnormal for those to cut ties to those they no longer deal with or be close with anymore. A line in the new drama I am watching in "suits" when one character has to cut ties with his friends for good (but he has been good to him but still a drug dealer making bad decisions for money) it was hard. HIs halmoni praised him saying those close ties are the hardest to break.

But I am just happy we can maturely discuss the character to agree to disagree.

Looking forward to what we will see in the next and last 4 episodes.

1 minute ago, Nodame said:

But seeing the pain of YJ divorce and inability to have children (though I don't agree with her being a noble idiot decision),

I believe the reason she did it like that it's because the ex-husband would have stayed with her but recent her till the end if he know or leave her but hate himself for it forever. It was the only way  to give him a chance at his dream to have children in her mind (I don't know how korean think about adoption).

@yusefull Thanks . I did think of that too. What I wished he was able to have been told that . She made the choice for him. Though I am not Korean myself, I don't see a lot of adoptions. I even mentioned once (I am single with no kids) I would want to adopt. My mom said I need a biological child then you can adopt. What mom?! So as a Chinese, adoption happens as we know someone who wanted a daughter and only had sons so she adopted her daughter.

Prob my guess, adoptions in Korea is not big. Probably not sure of after WWII, but adoptions abroad were allowed as I am sure parents thought they children would be having a better life than being in Korea. It is not that long ago Korea was a poor third world country. Even in the last 12 years I have visited Korea I have seen dramatic and big changes every time. 

I recall even a photo campaign with celebrities and Kpop entertainers taking pics with babies for adoption. So domestic adoption in Korean is not that popular. This 2015 article states that adoption in a heavily Confucian society is considered taboo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30692127

@Nodameshe is the character that scare me the most to not have a true ending. To find love, she need someone who can accept that part of her. I only see DB at this point and it would be her settling. She doesn't love him.

Every other person problem need time like MH will need time to forget BY and move on. JY need to realise he won't become a prof like that. SW will always need money for his childs and mom. NW need time to get in a better place job-wise.  But most of them got time. I feel like she doesn't have that mutch more time.

@yusefull Thanks for your thoughts. I agree, YJ will have it tough. Not just in Korean society but everywhere.

As you said, the others can mature and change and grow up over time.. But for her, if she wants to find love, it would be love with someone who is OK or not wanting /needs kids.  But when you are dating, that is not the first thing you talk about . Ok in our lovely cameo HSJ --he planned the number of kids, their jobs (I liked the meta nod to his character's to his job in Drinking Solo). So yeah, procreation and maintaining the family line are important.  She cannot change that side for herself. Society is not as forgiving if you want to be a daughter in law and if you tell them you are childless, that is going to be tough. 

I love my mom, but she mentioned once to me----a marriage is not a marriage without children. I was upset with her. She is of the older old school Chinese generation, but I said to her to stop asking couples when they have/plan to have kids. I said you don't know the inner struggles of married couples they are facing regarding the difficulties of procreation. One of my close friends, they were young and healthy (Her mother in law gave her grief thinking she didn't want kids) but in fact they were 10 years in their personal infertility hell. In the end, after expending resources and years for in vitro. They got pregnant the natural way. (Something I feel less stress and you gave up and no worries when you are blessed. The fact I feel if you make it a chore and concentrate on having the baby---the act ends up feeling more about babies than enjoyment of the union/wanting the child.

I have single friends who are not that young marry divorced men with a kid or kids. Being a step mom is not easy, but the pressure to deliver kids is off significantly.

Still we can hope YJ meets someone who will treasure her for her. (She is attractive that is not the case of getting lack of interest of people but we know due to her own personal situation on fertility.)

@Nodame It's funny because it's not like that at all around me. I got a uncle who is 37 years old and can't keep a girlfriend or even think about it and we don't care at all.

I never meet someone with parent who presure them to have children and all.

No problem with adoption or people marrying who have divorced. Not even problem with people living together and having (or not) child without ever getting married.

11 minutes ago, Nodame said:

Still we can hope YJ meets someone who will treasure her for her. (She is attractive that is not the case of getting lack of interest of people but we know due to her own personal situation on fertility.)

I think that she was a good wife too. The husband never though to get divorced from her and was really happy.

@yusefull Thanks

I guess growing up Asian American of Chinese descent, I always had the understanding I would be 30 and have kids ingrained (not outwardly said) but the expectation was there. After college, the majority of my friends are of Asian descent. Not the case growing up as I was one of 3 asians in my class of 410. One was a twinkie (she denied she was chinese and the other gal was a korean adoptee. Recently I have more diversity thanks to Korean dramas, I have met fans who are Haitian and Jamaican beyond the other Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Filipino friends I have here.

Now that I am LONG IN THE TOOTH, I never thought I would be single with no kids. My baby sis got married and she is older than prime age to have kids. Her hubby wants kids and is 3 yrs younger.  She is 50/50. Granted with technology and medical genius, plus good health she can have kids if she wants to.

Out of my dad's family -he and an aunt married everyone else out of 6 kids did not. Well two did not due to situation beyond their control. One is a big introvert/otaku. The one single Uncle has a relationship with a divorced woman with 2 grown kids and a few grandchildren. 

My mom is an only child .

Both my parent , more my dad wanted grand kids yesterday. Out of three of us, only my sis is married. You know your dad is desperate for grandchildren when he throws out the conventional thoughts they preached growing up---just go have a kid already! (What?!)

In the words of the great Avril Lavigne, why do you have to go and make things so complicated? Chill~ Like Dr. Ye. You know what? He's everywhere. When I cross the street, he smiles from the other end. When I buy groceries, he tells me to think about my purchase twice (Hu Yi Tian used to do that to me). I knew it. I should have visited a psychiatrist instead of my neurologist.

So one more fangirling post from me since LJH was part of Forest  of Secret which won the Daesang. off topic in spoiler 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Food truck support fr the Director of Along with The Gods , where LJH had a supporting role 

I cracked up at this , since I’m watching both dramas

This drama actually reminded me another drama that i like - "The Package' last  year. Also there are few couple stories in the drama but not focus on the main lead , through travelling and revealed each other behind stories .

I mentioned about whether writernim will still touch on JW with his ex story because he seems didnt close/ wrapped up nicely with his ex.. it could be another agenda from his ex ? a woman cheated a man , sometimes it is not just the woman fault, it could be the relationship already got the flaws between them. But if writernim take that last phone call between them as closure .. then its ok .

YJ stories could be writer wanted to use this to tell the audience who might have same situation as her ( i believe there are in korean society) . YJ choose to leave her husband because she loves him , she wanted him to have a complete family ( yes , asian society still pretty conservative), that episode with her story  and the poem ,  The road that cannot be returned .. pretty much describe her situation now . Is DB can be her settling ? i doubt so .. as it seems she quite enjoy as a single now .. but who knows ..

But Cameo Ha Seok Jin came in as Mr Decisive  reminded me  of TVN SNL3 -minutes boyfriend series .. got a MR decisive n MR non decisive haha..

@triplem i tried not to be fangirl :lol:but i am happy that LJH got some lime light at big stage now after so many years.. he is kind of underrated actor.. hope he would have more chance on taking main lead role ..,  i am sorry to say if it is not LJH ,  i wouldnt will watch this drama live :lol:

I am wondering  is writernim initially didnt have the intention to put Dr YE as the main role? as  Minho role initially is not Jang Dong Yoon . could it be writer change direction half way? as the popularity of  Yeline increase..  it is just my speculation..^_^

@jellybing2009 JDY’s role was initially offered to Gong Myung who declined as i Guess it would be a repeat of his role in Drinking Solo ( GM was the second lead there ) . Personally I don’t think they change direction halfway. I do think he (LJH )is the intended male lead as mentioned on sites like Drama Fever. In SK , I read on a twitter handle that LJH ranks within top 30 brand reputation in April. He did have some pretty high profile projects (Secret Forest & Along With The Gods) , so I hope he will continue to get some good roles in the future. Also really like JDY here as MinHo. He’s doing a great job. I loved him in School 2017. 

Dr Ye is making hearts flutter among Korean audiences. :wub:

SPOILERS] A POEM A DAY E11-12 + RATING

/ 4:57 PM
Spoiler

201804302207582610550_20180430224512_01_

Naver - heraldcorp: 'A Poem A Day' Lee Joon Hyuk goes straight to Lee Yoo Bi...Jang Dong Yoon decides to confess

1.[+129, -1] Lee Joon Hyuk ~~~~~~~ He makes my heart flutters every Mon/Tue night

2.[+50, -0] Ha Seok Jin today ㅋㅋㅋ He was funny ㅋㅋ a good example of a special appearance ㅋㅋ

3.[+28, -0] I enjoy watching A Poem A day^^ Doctor Ye ~~ He is cool ♡

4.[+26, -1] It was a cool U-turn...

5.[+21, -2] She will be with Doctor Ye ㅋㅋ Fortunately it looks like that ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6.[+6, -0] My heart is with Doctor Ye too

7.[+5, -0] Doctor Ye. Lee Joon Hyuk's face and voice, He has nothing missing from his acting! Lee Joon Hyuk is like a perfect man♥

8.[+5, -1] Rediscovery of Lee Joon Hyuk

9.[+4, -0] Lee Joon Hyuk is cool

10.[+4, -0] Lee Joon Hyuk is seriously so handsome

0000849969_001_20180501224812399.jpg
Naver - xports news: 'A Poem A Day' Lee Joon Hyuk x Lee Yoo Bi started dating secretly 'Today is our first day'

1.[+753, -6] Doctor Ye...Please exist in reality...He is cute, cool and sweet. He is a perfect man.

2.[+412, -7] It's a drama like a clean area~ The story is good, the scenes are pretty and everyone's acting is like a masterpiece. It would be nice if more people watch it, It's a shame ~~

3.[+156, -3] I love you, Doctor Ye ㅠㅠ I envy Woo Bo Young....ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

4.[+108, -1] They're finally dating....I almost cried out of happiness...I couldn't sleep because of how heart fluttering Doctor Ye Jae Wook was.

5.[+77, -2] Doctor Ye has totally become a different person ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He should have started dating her earlier ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ today was so fun

6.[+47, -0] It's drama that makes you smile and makes your feel warm. I'm always watching the broadcast. Today was fun too. I want to read poetry after a long time. It's a really well-made drama, I feel pity for the ratings. It's better to have empathy and heart fluttering together. I have to wait another week again but I'm looking forward to it. The drama's production team and cast, fighting!!!

7.[+39, -1] Rediscovery of Lee Joon Hyuk's charms

8.[+30, -0] This is the first time I leave a comment about a drama, I saw Lee Joon Hyuk for the first time in 'Secret Forest', He was the bad guy!? I didn't find him handsome there but seeing him in a Rom/Com his face totally shines, Lee Yoo Bin's skin and smile are so pretty. The content is not boring, It's touching, romantic and funny, also the poems are so good that I wanted to write them all down since the first episode. Anyway, I'm writing this comment because the actors and producers may read it, but I just wanted to say don't be disappointed with the low ratings. Fighting! Today, Doctor Ye was so heart fluttering ㅎ

9.[+22, -0] The content of this drama and the actors are so good. It's not boring, it's calm but it has comedy and it feels healing. ~^^ It's fun to listen to poetry. Doctor Ye and Doctor Bo Young were so good today, I smiled so much while grabbing my heart. Thank you

have they filmed outdoors (since they're riding on ATVs and playing outside)? will we be seeing that?? wahhh. i'm glad to see that everyone is close :) 

edit: omg!! i just saw the alligator brand shirt on Jaeha!! he got a new blue alligator shirt!! :D is it from JW? 

@jellybing2009 Maybe because others still don't know about Bo Young and Dr. Ye relationship so it will be weird if they see Bo Young is sitting with Dr. Ye. I guess we will see Dr. Ye being jealous again soon :tongue: My another guess, those scenes will be on next week? Since there's only two weeks left...

7 minutes ago, ELlovelyz said:

@jellybing2009 Maybe because others still don't know about Bo Young and Dr. Ye relationship so it will be weird if they see Bo Young is sitting with Dr. Ye. I guess we will see Dr. Ye being jealous again soon :tongue: My another guess, those scenes will be on next week? Since there's only two weeks left...

it seems for next week as ChaeYoung's bd celebration was last weekend?

I thought Dr Ye already wouldn't mind to reveal their relationship .. haha anyway will see how it goes ..

55 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

@jellybing2009 but JW probably respects what BY wants, and seeing how the whole department is trying to find out who his girlfriend is, I'm guessing BY still wants to keep it a secret. Let's see how long that'll last... hahahhahaa :D 

Yep, there's no way Dr. Ye wants to keep it a secret since he can't stop showing his affection to Bo Young. Can't wait to see 'obvious' Ye Jae Wook again :tongue: His new different side makes me missing him more even I had secondhand embarrassment when I watched it :joy: Monday please come fasterrrr

14 minutes ago, ELlovelyz said:

Yep, there's no way Dr. Ye wants to keep it a secret since he can't stop showing his affection to Bo Young. Can't wait to see 'obvious' Ye Jae Wook again :tongue: His new different side makes me missing him more even I had secondhand embarrassment when I watched it :joy: Monday please come fasterrrr

Me too, waiting 5 days like 5 weeks..hope too see obvious JW again and of course their lovey dovey moment :blush:

Archived