[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

20 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Welcome!!

No symbolism - they filmed this during the winter and due to the outdoor filming and when indoor you cant run heaters due to noise (no central heating in most of Asia - source: I lived there) its always cold for them, hence the breath (you see other people's too not just dms). In an interview the cast said they liked filming in Ximens house the most because that was the only place that was heated (weve only seen it in one scene so far I think, when Ximen comforted Xiaoyu). And in BTS clips you always see them wrapped up in layers of coats and jackets in between scenes :D poor kids :(

And yeah Im with you re:the emotions! Shen Yue is such a good cryer & actress! She doesnt get enough credit!

@insertusernamehere thank you for explaining this! I was wondering why we could see their breaths even during indoor scenes.

13 hours ago, kokodus said:

I just finished watching 31 and 32 with subs. While watching it, I was totally confused on why everyone was doing what they were doing... Lol. But after thinking about it for a while, I guess I can see the reasons behind their actions. Lei is probably so fed up with these kids fighting all the time, so he wanted to end all this and teach them a lesson for once and all by giving Si a death scare. LOL. And my poor puppy fell in the trap and the best part is that he doesn't even realize that he took the bait. Hahahahaha. I especially liked the last part when he went and declared to Lei that "SHANCAI IS MINE". While he was in the bed, I might add. I was getting antsy that we didn't get any bed scene between them this week,thankfully they gave us one. LOLOL. 

@feliset About Xiao zi, I think she was indeed serious about getting him back. I guess, Lei probably went with her plan because he was sure that neither SC nor Si would have any of it and it might also make her give up on Si. The plan worked both ways. Both Si and Xiao Zi realized that he would never be able to give up on SC. LOL. Lei is absolutely amazing. I still think he has not developed any romantic feelings for SC yet. That's how I would like to believe, I don't want to see  him heartbroken at the end. Sighhh. 

@kokodus I agree, I think Lei is actually really observant and knows his friends really well. When Xiao Zi approaches him during graduation, did you guys notice how cold he was towards her? I think he knew Xiao Zi had ulterior motives even before she asked him for the favor. I honestly think he agreed to Xiao Zi's plans only to prove what he already knew - that Si's feeling for SC would never change and that SC really has deep feelings for Si even though she might not admit it or say it out loud. By agreeing to Xiao Zi's request, it's as if he was telling her, "look, we can do it the way you want but it will never work because Si and SC really love each other." 

12 hours ago, chocolatetruffles08 said:

I also just finished watching episodes 31 and 32.

I think Lei is doing those to make the SC and DS realise they're both being unreasonable and childish. Lei has been there, done that with Jing, so he was lecturing SC after work to persevere so she won't have any regrets.

Having said that, yes he's doing these things to push the two together but it doesn't take away the fact that he still loves SC. And it must be so good for him to somehow show his real feelings. Killing two birds in one stone, I think! It must be so tiring to keep hiding his real feelings and it's refreshing to not do that this time around. And he knows DS will certainly rise up to the challenge... and he did.

Lei is such a good manipulator. Deadly quiet, very observant and can read others very well.

I don't know what his smile meant when he was woken up by DS though. Maybe "I knew it!", "Yes! Finally you came to your senses!" or "Sure, let's compete" *smirk*

I also don't understand why he asked SC to turn off her phone for 2 days. To further test DS and SC's resolve? Or for him to have the upper hand against DS? :blink:

3 hours ago, chocolatetruffles08 said:

Maybe he's thinking "DS, are you absolutely sure this time? How far will you go? Will you be a brat again and stop chasing after her after 2 hrs? 12 hrs? 18 hrs?"

In other words, you better make up your mind this time, DS!

Must be confusing for F3 to see their relationship in such a high, then a low. I remember a friend being in this kind of relationship and I couldn't handle or keep up with their fights and makeups, it got extremely frustrating for me. 

@chocolatetruffles08 I agree 100%. I think he knew how DS would react when challenged so he used this knowledge to his advantage in getting DS to act on how he feels. I also think he asked SC to turn off her phone for 48 hours to make DS realize what it would be like if SC really did disappear. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, feliset said:

As for Caina/Terrence, I googled their ages out of curiosity. :D hes 40 and shes 29. i think they look their ages.

Wow! The actor who plays Terrence- not surprised at his actual age being 40, but I am surprised at Caina actress actual age. I thought she looked about 25. 

3 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Holy cow @feliset. The actor is allowed to be old. But man no wonder I was looking at those and going " mama mia " there's something wrong with the scenes. Here we are with the fresh 19 yr old male lead. And his college friends.

Then we hit a patch of older OTP. Can't remember those 2 at all in the Kdrama version. Even DMS sister is older. I am not a young kid watching a drama. I can recognise older actors when they are their age.

Oh well. Back to another drama until this week's episodes are subbed.

Yeah, I agree. He definitely looked his age and I was surprised to see such an older actor in the role.  It definitely came across as a May/December romance, even when they made comments about the characters ages  being more on the  he's

"around 30"/ "she's a grad student" level

These 2 characters weren't in the Korean version for sure. I think they were created just for this version, but others may know differently.

Yes. Dee Hsu is 40, but she looks great and I really like her in the role of DS sister, although she comes off more like DS mom just because she is old enough to be Dylan Wang's mother. LOL!

2 hours ago, marielou92 said:

I like the fact that Shancai is “more resistant” here because its in a way, an embodiment of a more realistic decisions for someone of her young age, gender, and status in life. And contrary to what bashers says that she is not someone feministic, her character here is way more feministic than those of previous live version Shancais. she may not be spunky because you know, you don’t have to be spunky to show you’re a strong independent woman, but her firm decision and action of being restraint and bluntly telling a guy that  she can’t accept his feelings because she is not sure yet, I think thats a sure sign of feminism, its just different but still solid. 

Shan Cai's journey toward accepting Si and her feelings for him definitely feels more realistic. He is a character that has serious anger issues, other emotional issues, and comes from a very different social class. They started off with his bullying behaviors toward SC, then there was an instant turnaround from "I hate you" to "I love you", which any girl would wonder "what is with this guy" and can she trust his words? So it makes sense to me SC is going to take a step back and take things slow before making a decision about pursuing a relationship with DS. I also think it's a nice change to see this type of "gradual growing to love" journey be for the main female lead while the male lead is certain of his love from the start. So often in dramas it is the reverse. It's the female lead who falls in love first and the male lead who isn't sure of his feelings, and we spend the whole drama watching the male lead 's "journey to love" for the female lead.  I just hope that we are finally getting to the end of the "do I really love him?" journey for SC, and not be like MG2001 where SC didn't declare herself until the final episode.

And you are so right- you don't have to be "spunky" to be a strong woman.

Can't wait for Wednesday and new subbed episodes!

16 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

Wow! The actor who plays Terrence- not surprised at his actual age being 40, but I am surprised at Caina actress actual age. I thought she looked about 25. 

Yeah, I agree. He definitely looked his age and I was surprised to see such an older actor in the role.  It definitely came across as a May/December romance, even when they made comments about the characters ages  being more on the  he's

"around 30"/ "she's a grad student" level

These 2 characters weren't in the Korean version for sure. I think they were created just for this version, but others may know differently.

Yes. Dee Hsu is 40, but she looks great and I really like her in the role of DS sister, although she comes off more like DS mom just because she is old enough to be Dylan Wang's mother. LOL!

Shan Cai's journey toward accepting Si and her feelings for him definitely feels more realistic. He is a character that has serious anger issues, other emotional issues, and comes from a very different social class. They started off with his bullying behaviors toward SC, then there was an instant turnaround from "I hate you" to "I love you", which any girl would wonder "what is with this guy" and can she trust his words? So it makes sense to me SC is going to take a step back and take things slow before making a decision about pursuing a relationship with DS. I also think it's a nice change to see this type of "gradual growing to love" journey be for the main female lead while the male lead is certain of his love from the start. So often in dramas it is the reverse. It's the female lead who falls in love first and the male lead who isn't sure of his feelings, and we spend the whole drama watching the male lead 's "journey to love" for the female lead.  I just hope that we are finally getting to the end of the "do I really love him?" journey for SC, and not be like MG2001 where SC didn't declare herself until the final episode.

Can't wait for Wednesday and new subbed episodes!

@Table122000 I agree, I think it’s also normal for SC to hesitate for the reasons you stated. I also think that part of the reason as to why she is hesitant to tell DS how much she likes him (after she realized that she liked him) is because she takes it seriously. She’s never been in a relationship before and this being the first one also comes with so much baggage and complexity. DS is not an easy guy to date - from his personality to his status. If he’s already so aggressive even when she hasn’t admitted her  feelings, imagine what he’d be like once he knows his feelings are reciprocated. It’s natural for her to hesitate. I also think it’s because admitting her feelings and getting into a relationship with him means she would have to endure all the challenges that come with it. 

10 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

@Table122000 I agree, I think it’s also normal for SC to hesitate for the reasons you stated. I also think that part of the reason as to why she is hesitant to tell DS how much she likes him (after she realized that she liked him) is because she takes it seriously. She’s never been in a relationship before and this being the first one also comes with so much baggage and complexity. DS is not an easy guy to date - from his personality to his status. If he’s already so aggressive even when she hasn’t admitted her  feelings, imagine what he’d be like once he knows his feelings are reciprocated. It’s natural for her to hesitate. I also think it’s because admitting her feelings and getting into a relationship with him means she would have to endure all the challenges that come with it. 

Excellent observations @mouse007

Create an account and coming here because can't hold myself not to talk about Meteor Garden

I've watched all versions of HYD, each version have it's own strength, the case or the story.

When the first time I watched MG2001, I didn't know that it was a manga adaptation, no wonder the story is so good. So MG2001 is like my first love and when any other versions came along I unconsciously compare it with others.

I can't really forget my first love so I still remember how I feel when I watch some scene on it. Mostly about the sad scene because it's really give me a punch right into my heart

1. SC kiss DS for the first time

I can't forget DS face when he got that sudden kiss

2. Rainy scene when SC leaving DS

In here SC saying that she never loved DS that's why she left him even though in her heart she's saying the opposite

3. Throwing necklace and find it

I can see that SC really loves DS but can't say it so I can feel her dilemma in here

4. Bus scene

I'm so happy that finally SC running to DS

I'm a manga lover so I like it if the story not far from the manga, if there's any other story it must be fit and relevant with the original.

But I think MG2001 doing those 3 scene very well than the manga versions, that's why it's very memorable to me.

As for the cute moment of DS and SC, I think there's no such a cute couple other than Didi and YY. There are just adorable.

Dylan bad boy aura is  a match for Tsukasa in manga versions. One thing that other versions missing is that Tsukasa is childish, mostly they portrayed him as a spoil brat but Dylan can bring up that side of childish version of Tsukasa and I love it. 

I've watched MG2001 & BOF and if my memory serves me right, I thought  DMS  & Gu Jun Pyo's role in the series were pure, like they've never dated and fooled around.  But the DMS in MG2018 has had experience/s with girls.

Because in manga Tsukasa has experience kissing girls but never serious about that. Never fall in love and never slept with them. He still virgin :D

Since this drama is following the manga so I think it includes this also. Well, with that kind face of Dylan, it won't be a surprise if he were good about that :D

Spoiler
2 hours ago, parksooha said:

Create an account and coming here because can't hold myself not to talk about Meteor Garden

I've watched all versions of HYD, each version have it's own strength, the case or the story.

When the first time I watched MG2001, I didn't know that it was a manga adaptation, no wonder the story is so good. So MG2001 is like my first love and when any other versions came along I unconsciously compare it with others.

I can't really forget my first love so I still remember how I feel when I watch some scene on it. Mostly about the sad scene because it's really give me a punch right into my heart

1. SC kiss DS for the first time

I can't forget DS face when he got that sudden kiss

2. Rainy scene when SC leaving DS

In here SC saying that she never loved DS that's why she left him even though in her heart she's saying the opposite

3. Throwing necklace and find it

I can see that SC really loves DS but can't say it so I can feel her dilemma in here

4. Bus scene

I'm so happy that finally SC running to DS

I'm a manga lover so I like it if the story not far from the manga, if there's any other story it must be fit and relevant with the original.

But I think MG2001 doing those 3 scene very well than the manga versions, that's why it's very memorable to me.

As for the cute moment of DS and SC, I think there's no such a cute couple other than Didi and YY. There are just adorable.

Dylan bad boy aura is  a match for Tsukasa in manga versions. One thing that other versions missing is that Tsukasa is childish, mostly they portrayed him as a spoil brat but Dylan can bring up that side of childish version of Tsukasa and I love it.  

You're right MG001 like first love for people who don't read manga. The players are charismatic and the storyline is like real life, it's still fun to watch now. I can't help laughing when the SC scene runs after kissing the DMS on the ship while muttering "I feel like a princess and seeing Lei like a prince, but when the time runs out I kiss with a pig" :lol:

Spoiler
36 minutes ago, coleenex said:

I've watched MG2001 & BOF and if my memory serves me right, I thought  DMS  & Gu Jun Pyo's role in the series were pure, like they've never dated and fooled around.  But the DMS in MG2018 has had experience/s with girls. 

Wow thank you, I waited for engsub because I was very curious what they were talking about after kissing .

Well, no matter how rich a boy may not be completely pure. SC is not a problem not the first kiss of DMS, but being the first love DMS is an extraordinary blessing :relaxed:

3 hours ago, coleenex said:

Its because they followed the manga.. Daomingsi had kissed girls before meeting Shancai but he never slept with them, so he is still a virgin.

Its a good things that Daomingsi is still a virgin because if he is not then I’m going to be mad at him on behalf of Shancai :lol:

8 hours ago, coleenex said:

It's actually more realistic for DS to have had experience kissing girls especially since he's already in college and he's friends with Meizuo and Ximen who are players. But I love the fact that he's never fallen in love or had sex before. I think it adds to his character. He's handsome, smart, wealthy and can literally have any girl he wants but he takes relationships seriously. I love the way he admits to SC how he's kissed girls before, being all shy and uncomfortable, and tells her it only happened because he was wasted and the girls were the ones who initiated and he just didn't stop them. I also like how he added that because it didn't mean anything, he decided not to do those things anymore. I just really love DS - he's such an interesting fella. I mean look at him, he's arrogant and aggressive but he can also be gentle and thoughtful. He's really smart but also very naive and innocent at times. For someone who can have any girl and any thing he wants, he chooses a girl who is so opposite him - average looks, not rich and isn't exceptionally intelligent or talented. And to me, him falling in love with SC and choosing her over and over again says a lot. The fact that he keeps saying "that's the SC I know" at different times in the drama tells me that he loves her for who she is  and that he sincerely appreciates her character and that's what he loves about her. 

I have to admit that the scene where Lei and SC are talking at her cafe is one of my favourite scenes of the two of them. I think he really does have feelings for SC because he made a move as if to caress her face or maybe  touch her hair and he changed his mind at the last minute but he still says that this is a time where he can enjoy her company without having to worry about DS. I just love this scene of the two of them because they're so comfortable with each other that they can just be frank about how they feel. And can we just talk about how adorable that forehead flick was?  :wub:

Just to clarify, I'm DS and SC all the way but I do appreciate Lei and his unique relationship with DS and SC. 

Eagerly waiting for eng subs!! Just watched ep 35-36 in RAW and I'm dying to find out what's being said! Want to know everything that's happening between DS and SC!!! Ahhhh! 

And it looks like we are finally getting Ximen and Xiaoyou's story started. 

Darn you Netflix!!!!!!!!!!

Im pulling out my hair waiting for ep 31 to come out with subs while I’ve already watched 31, 32, 33, and 34 raw...I’m pretty sure i’ll catch 35 and 36 before Netflix decides to release 31. 

I’m not patient and I’ve never had to wait this long for subs. The websites I usually go to have subs out by the next day....:crazy: 

ahhhhh!!!!!

21 minutes ago, feliset said:

Should be London > island > amnesia :)

I really hoped that amnesia arc will go first though, just so it will end the misery because I know Daomingsi forgeting Shancai will make me sad & mad with the existent of that Umi girl.

And I’m already dreading the last kissing scene of Daomingsi with another girl aka Umi.

I know a kissing scene with Umi is not in the manga but I’m looking at a bigger possibility that they will make one for Daomingsi, because its like all the adaptations had one for amnesia arc :sweatingbullets:

I only want Shancai with Daomingsi from hereon so im possessive :lol: 

9 minutes ago, marielou92 said:

I really hoped that amnesia arc will go first though, just so it will end the misery because I know Daomingsi forgeting Shancai will make me sad & mad with the existent of that Umi girl.

And I’m already dreading the last kissing scene of Daomingsi with another girl aka Umi.

I know a kissing scene with Umi is not in the manga but I’m looking at a bigger possibility that they will make one for Daomingsi, because its like all the adaptations had one for amnesia arc :sweatingbullets:

I only want Shancai with Daomingsi from hereon so im possessive :lol: 

This is the first adaptation I've watched through so I had no idea he kisses Umi ever. OMG! Can they not haha. SC's tears after she saw DS/XZ kissing broke me already. I really didn't care about the amnesia arc. I can't waiiiiit for the island arc.

The NY arc was the saddest for me because

Spoiler

I hated seeing him being cold to her without the excuse of amnesia. My heart was in shambles before we found out he did it cause his mom said she'd give him freedom in 2 years or whatever. At least I know that now so when we see cold DS in London, I'll rest a bit easier knowing those might be his intentions.

51 minutes ago, feliset said:

Should be London > island > amnesia :)

Man! Then they are leaving the amnesia to the end, too. I hope it does drag on long. I remember for the Korean version, it didn't drag long and he got this memories back quickly.

I'm really looking forward to the London.

Archived