[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Aggrieved to say the least. What a voice - put to such great use in My Ahjussi - and a fairly decent actor. Too bad. Prayers for his family, the excellent actress-wife and kids etc. 

I wish he had the will, support and environment to live through this crisis: just like the lesson we all got by watching this classic:

DdzqbDqVQAQzp58?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Hello all! This is the first time in a long time that I’m posting again on this forum and it’s because of the heartbreaking news of Lee Sun-kyun’s passing.

To be honest, I already felt bad when I heard about the drug scandal being attributed to him and was hoping very strongly that he was innocent and only got caught in the middle of things without him knowing. But now it’s useless to even hope that his name will be cleared and his stature as a respected actor restored.

This is very traumatic and sad, especially for his family. 

Goodbye, Our Ahjussi. May you finally find peace. :bawling:

3 hours ago, noor1 said:

Aggrieved to say the least. What a voice - put to such great use in My Ahjussi - and a fairly decent actor. Too bad. Prayers for his family, the excellent actress-wife and kids etc. 

I wish he had the will, support and environment to live through this crisis: just like the lesson we all got by watching this classic:

DdzqbDqVQAQzp58?format=jpg&name=small

I guess he never had a real-life Lee Ji-an to inspire him and to help him find hope again. It’s very sad. He probably felt so alone and helpless about everything that happened to him. :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Such deeply sad news.

Coming to this thread to talk about My Ahjussi with all of you was such a wonderful experience. We experienced a beautiful piece of art together, and it was special.

I learned about his death on CNN. Since My Ahjussi aired, our ahjussi had gone on to become a globally famous actor.

Aside from My Ahjussi and Parasite, he'd also given many other great performances on TV and in movies. A Hard Day. Coffee Prince. So many others.

I wish everyone a great 2024. Be well.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
  • Insightful 1

chingus in My Mister thread :waves:
I'm tired of people who gossip eagerly about mee465c15d1ad03f368aff0ace8f372e20e700d009
eb835582eaa6c55af6739a923d5cc2646749f66a
Spoiler

20917f018dcf3acbc8a84c6d344ecea3eff0565c

13559269712ee261a600d183cf2db7a2d53f1e04MY MISTER (2018)Source: candlewinds
====

News Magazine Chicago releases the last recorded interview with the late Lee Sun Gyun

c.AKP STAFF

The global community is enveloped in grief as news of the untimely passing of the actor Lee Sun Gyun reverberates across the world. 

In the wake of this shocking announcement, numerous media outlets and prominent figures from the entertainment industry have come forward to extend their heartfelt condolences and reflect on the legacy of Lee Sun Gyun.

On December 27, News Magazine Chicago revealed the last recorded interview with Lee Sun Gyun, where he reflects on his career and success.

News Magazine Chicago shared, "This interview is the last recorded conversation with actor Lee Sun Gyun, which took place on October 7, 2023, in the United States with News Magazine Chicago."

In the interview, Lee Sun Gyun shared, "I've become more successful than I'd ever imagined. I've experienced something that I've never even dared to dream of. I got to go to the Academy Awards and even won an award, and received applause from Hollywood celebrities. It still feels like a dream being at the Academy. I've really come a long way."

He continued, "I believe I was given the award for constantly working hard and not giving up. So, it was very meaningful."

Regarding his aspirations for future projects, Lee Sun Gyun replied, "I guess I would say I should begin writing another journal. Rather than having the ambition to want to do something or say something, I want to make sure that the process of bringing a character to life in each project doesn't go to waste. I just want to continue being grateful and making films."

Lastly, the interviewer asked, "What is acting to you?" and Lee Sun Gyun answered, "Previously, I viewed acting as a form of homework, always driven by the ambition to excel in it. I believed that like homework, acting enriched and developed me. But now, I see it more as writing in a journal — a personal and reflective process that's continuously evolving with each experience."

He continued, "I thought about this just before and even receiving this award would be like another page in my journal, that collects over time. It would be something I can look back at and think, 'I wasn't so bad so far. I worked diligently.' So, I think I want to begin writing another journal."

As people from different communities think back and honor the actor who passed away, many online users are sharing their feelings of sadness and regret.

They commented, "This is so regretful and it's so sad we won't be able to hear his deep voice again," "I hope he rests in peace," "He had such a bright life, I really wonder what made him turn to the entertainment establishment," "I fell in love with his voice at first... Now, we won't be able to hear it," "He should've thought about his family and lived on," "Man...you said you wanted to write another journal of your life..." "It's really unfortunate that a talented actor like him passed away," and "He had such a good career too. He should've lived on for his family."

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

Lee Sun Kyun was a very talented actor. Have watched him in a lot of different dramas and movies throughout the years. He wasn't even 50 years old yet. This is extremely sad - especially for his wife, kids, family and friends. :tears:

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

I think the culture of shame in Korean society is very prevalent, which is why agencies are very strict and dictatorial when it comes to the private lives of its talents, to the point of suffocating them. Maybe that was one of the factors that triggered Lee Sun-Kyun’s despair and eventually depression. The fact that he had become quite famous due to the film “Parasite”, expectations of him were much higher and the fall from grace would have more dire consequences. It was reported that his product endorsements dropped him right away after the affair and drug scandal broke out.  It’s so sad that he has passed away, especially since I read that after “Parasite”, he was being eyed to play a major role in a Hollywood film. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

Stunned and truly saddened by the tragic news of Lee Sun Gyun's passing. Praying that his loved ones find comfort and strength during this very difficult time. I truly hope too that society at large, learns from this all-too-prevalent occurrence, and that those who are in despair will have avenues of help available to them whenever they need it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

RIP ahjussi. You were such a talented actor and we loved watching you work. It's so sad and unfair that you felt you had no other choice but to take your own life. What depths of darkness and loneliness did you reach? Breaks my heart. We wish we could've told you to hang on, that brighter days were coming, that there could be redemption in your career and in your relationships. We will always miss you. Condolences to your family. :heartbreak:

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

hohstMN.gif

Happy New Year! It's time again for our annual Soompi Forums Awards.

Which dramas were your favorite in 2023?

Vote here for Poll #1:

Your Event Organizers

Saw this article just now and it made me smile in the midst of the sadness: LSK said earlier this year that MM was his favorite work.

Parasite actor Lee Sun-kyun’s leading roles remembered, from South Korean movie A Hard Day to k-drama My Mister

Lily Zi

Published: 3:18pm, 27 Dec, 2023

4c8ecc4e-9149-4d84-a6be-29009cf218ac_4b22f0c6.jpg?itok=5os44ZHO&v=1703987409
Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun in a still from Oscar best picture winner “Parasite”. With the actor’s death in an apparent suicide announced, we recall some of his most memorable screen roles. Photo: CJ Entertainment

News of the death of Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun, best known for his role in the Oscar-winning film Parasite, in an apparent suicide has sent shock waves across the global entertainment industry.

The award-winning 48-year-old, who was at the peak of his acting career, had been under police investigation for alleged use of illegal drugs.

We look back at five of Lee’s most memorable screen roles.

1. The White Tower (2007)

The White Tower is adapted from Japanese novelist Toyoko Yamasaki’s novel Shiroi Kyoto. It describes a power struggle in the healthcare industry and the ethical dilemmas doctors face when treating patients. The drama series was nominated for best TV drama at the 43rd Baeksang Arts Awards.

Lee plays doctor Choi Do-young, who puts patients’ well-being first and doesn’t care about personal power and status. His performance had won him the Golden Acting Award in the MBC Drama Awards in 2007.

ac7f25d0-c757-4a02-b061-0886f06ce36d_2c917ee0.jpg

A still from “The White Tower”. Photo: MBC TV

2. Pasta (2010)

Pasta is a workplace romance about two young people dreaming to become elite chiefs. In typical K-drama style, the pair go from not liking each other to gradually falling in love. In South Korea the TV series scored a high domestic viewership rating of 24.2 per cent in 2010.

Lee plays a chef who has returned from overseas and has a stereotypical view of female chefs, but these gradually change after he falls for one.

16edef1f-85b2-425e-971d-dddf9f9d177b_852a4d91.jpg

Lee Sun-kyun in a sitll from “Pasta”. Photo: MBC TV

3. A Hard Day (2014)

Lee plays a corrupt detective who accidentally kills someone while on his way to his mother’s funeral. The unfortunate event pushes him into a criminal path of no return. A Hard Day won a slew of awards, including best film in the 1st Korean Film Producers Association Awards, and was selected to compete in the Directors’ Fortnight section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.

Lee plays the hapless detective, and his brilliant portrayal of a complex character won him the best actor prize in the 51st Baeksang Arts Awards.

Spoiler

0e4f346d-6039-4c05-a7d9-4f47d63875a0_6552fd81.jpg

Lee Sun-kyun in the action thriller “A Hard Day”.

4. My Mister (2018)

This drama explores how a man and woman, both weighed down by life’s burdens, are able to form a warm relationship despite their huge age difference. The drama was well received not only in South Korea but overseas. It won the prize for best drama in the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards.

Lee plays a warm-hearted but quiet 40-year-old structural engineer who initially has issues with Ji-an, a 21-year-old woman, but gradually grows fond of her.

Lee cited My Mister as his favourite work in a recent interview to promote his latest film, Sleep.

Spoiler

895646be-c11a-409d-ac8b-0ebf8bbf0aa2_eee40472.jpg

Lee Sun-kyun promotes “Parasite” during the Cannes Film Festival in 2019 in Cannes, France. Photo: Getty Images

5. Parasite

As the first Asian and non-English-language film to win the Oscar for best picture – it also won for best director, best international film and best original screenplay – Parasite marked a milestone for Korean cinema. Bong Joon-ho’s story of how a lower-class family of four prey like parasites on an upper-class family culminates in a bloody fight between rich and poor.

Lee plays the father in the upper-class family, who looks down on the poor without understanding their struggle. His character’s actions suggest it is not the underprivileged but the rich who are the true social parasites.

Source: https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/news/article/3246374/parasite-actor-lee-sun-kyuns-leading-roles-recalled-movie-hard-day-drama-my-mister

Edited by ferily
Maximum 3 images per post. Please put any other in the spoiler tags thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2