Jump to content

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards


Go Seung Ji

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

Here are some pictures on what apparently seems to be the last scene in the Chinese remake:

(Edited to add: Clicking could provide potential spoilers to the Chinese remake! :sweatingbullets:)

 

https://www.pannchoa.com/2024/01/theqoo-filming-set-of-chinese-remake-of.html

 

Some of the comments mentioned the Chinese actor resembled LSK. I'd say the male actor definitely is closer to LSK than the female actress is to IU. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, actionscript said:

Here are some pictures on what apparently seems to be the last scene in the Chinese remake:

 

Interesting! And - funny that they released those photos so early in the game. I feel like I've been spoiled as to the ending. :lol:

 

One thing I notice is that the female lead character doesn't seem all that "bright" and happy in these pics, unlike Ji An in the original. Hopefully that's just because we're only seeing a few moments of filming, and hopefully the Chinese story will show she's content and "at peace" at the end. I shouldn't judge too quickly. :sweatingbullets:

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Interesting! And - funny that they released those photos so early in the game. I feel like I've been spoiled as to the ending. :lol:

 

One thing I notice is that the female lead character doesn't seem all that "bright" and happy in these pics, unlike Ji An in the original. Hopefully that's just because we're only seeing a few moments of filming, and hopefully the Chinese story will show she's content and "at peace" at the end. I shouldn't judge too quickly. :sweatingbullets:

 

I wish they waited a bit closer to the show started, now I feel a sense of anticipation. Seeing her look different makes me wonder if it'll be an ending with more of a sense of longing. I saw a movie (Go Brother) with the actress that was pretty good, so I'm optimistic about this acting-wise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Unclouded said:

I saw a movie (Go Brother) with the actress that was pretty good, so I'm optimistic about this acting-wise.

 

Have you seen Reset? I saw that one of the actresses in Go Brother is the female lead in Reset. Reset is very good and addicting!

 

11 hours ago, Unclouded said:

Seeing her look different makes me wonder if it'll be an ending with more of a sense of longing.

 

Yes, I'm curious to see where their relationship dynamic ends up, and how the chemistry is between the two leads.

 

Other web posts about the leads filming this scene: https://koalasplayground.com/2024/01/28/first-look-at-mark-chao-and-zhang-zi-feng-filming-the-c-drama-adaptation-of-k-drama-my-ahjusshi/

 

https://www.asiandramahub.com/2024/01/loving-strangers-chinese-version-of-k.html

 

Is this really the "first look" at Loving Strangers? Are they filming the ending scene early in the process then? It feels anti-climactic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Have you seen Reset? I saw that one of the actresses in Go Brother is the female lead in Reset. Reset is very good and addicting!

 

Yeah, I liked it a lot! I especially enjoyed all the scenes at the police station, it felt realistic (or at least as realistic as a timeloop could be).

 

I found an aerial video of the ending scene being shot on Twitter, looks pretty similar to the original. One thing I realized recently is that when JA hears DH's voice in the restaurant and just starts gravitating towards him, it's a bit similar to when he sees her across the street when he's driving with his younger brother and just keeps gazing at her. Like there's the same sense of nobody else being there other than each other - her face, and his voice. And in those moments, they just want to follow each other.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 7:43 AM, Unclouded said:

One thing I realized recently is that when JA hears DH's voice in the restaurant and just starts gravitating towards him, it's a bit similar to when he sees her across the street when he's driving with his younger brother and just keeps gazing at her. Like there's the same sense of nobody else being there other than each other - her face, and his voice. And in those moments, they just want to follow each other.

 

Well said and nice comparison of the two scenes. :wub:

 

One of my favorite scenes, too, is when JA is waiting in the evening for DH to get off the train, and when he sees JA, he seems to lose a step and is drawn to her. LSK played that moment so well.

 

spacer.png

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

It would have been Lee Sun-kyun's 49th birthday today. Rest in peace, uli ahjussi.

Remembering Lee Sun Kyun; Commemorate late actor's birthday with memorable performances in Parasite, Coffee Prince, and more

Lee Sun Kyun’s sudden demise in 2023 was met with many heartbreaks and dejections. On his 49th birthday, let’s celebrate the actor’s legacy through his 10 best performances in hit K-dramas and movies.

 

Published on Mar 01, 2024
 
spacer.png
Lee Sun Kyun (credit: NEON, tvN)
 

Lee Sun Kyun was a beloved actor in the Korean Entertainment industry for his ability to showcase versatile talents. Starting with musical theater, he made his television debut with the 2001 sitcom Lovers. Later, he earned notable recognition for his prolific appearances in many popular Korean films and dramas, furthered by a career delving into challenging and diverse roles.

 

Today, March 2, marks the 49th birthday of the late actor, who passed away on December 27, 2023, breaking the hearts of many fans. To commemorate the phenomenal actor Lee Sun Kyun, let’s check out his 10 best roles in popular K-dramas and movies.

List of 10 best roles taken on by late actor Lee Sun Kyun

(skipped unrelated)

4. My Mister (2018, IMDb rating: 9.1)

This heartwarming TV drama revolves around Park Dong Hoon, a diligent engineer, and 21-year-old Lee Ji An (played by IU), who struggles to make ends meet. They cross paths in a dysfunctional backdrop. Lee, initially hostile towards Park, soon finds herself close to his stoic supervisor, who is burdened with his wife’s affair. 

 

The kindness, honesty, and suffering of the character Park Dong Hoon were portrayed with immense authenticity by Lee Sun Kyun. The cultivated narrative and character arcs of the 2018 drama My Mister drew many global fans, furthering Lee Sun Kyun’s popularity worldwide. He also bagged a string of nominations across notable ceremonies such as The Seoul Awards 2018, the 6th APAN Star Awards, and the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards.

 

 

(skipped unrelated)

 

Furthermore, films and dramas like Paju (2009), Helpless (2012), Behind The White Tower (2007), and more were blessed with Lee Sun Kyun’s compelling presence. From an insensitive dad in Parasite to a compassionate engineer in My Mister, the exceptional actor has left a lasting impression on his audiences through his diverse range. With his tragic death, the global entertainment industry lost a visionary actor.

 

Source: https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/remembering-lee-sun-kyun-commemorate-late-actors-birthday-with-memorable-performances-in-parasite-coffee-prince-and-more-1282940

 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe this is a sacrilegious thing to say considering how well people reacted to Parasite, but I thought My Mister used LSK's talent in a way that no drama or movie I've seen with him came even remotely close to doing. That sense of humanity - when LJA says that by listening to him, she felt what it must be to really be human - I can't think of anyone else who could've pulled that off.

 

I feel like there are other actors in the K-drama world that often play these hyper-confident, very charismatic characters all the time. I wish there'd be more writers like Park Hae Young to use their talent to create more meaningful characters, to portray men who are a bit more relatable and interesting, and move us all the more because of that. Her characters are the only ones where I truly feel (regardless of gender), that part of me is on the screen. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Unclouded I totally agree. LSK did an excellent job in Parasite, as he always did in his roles (I feel like we could be confident he'd always do a good job with whatever material was given him), but My Mister brought out talent perhaps even he didn't know he had. I remember his interviews where he said he kept doing more than what director KWS wanted him to do as Park Dong-hoon, and KWS had to tell him to just do nothing. LSK was pretty stymied by that direction, but looking at the final product, his "doing nothing" in the early episodes made PDH's emotional growth (and his eventual outbursts) all the more compelling. LSK definitely showed a range in acting over MM's long, 16-episode run that other roles hadn't demanded of him. Or maybe I should say it was a different range of acting, since Killing Romance also demanded a range of acting from him we'd never seen! But in MM, KWS, PHY, and LSK were a perfect combination.

 

On 3/3/2024 at 8:01 AM, Unclouded said:

I feel like there are other actors in the K-drama world that often play these hyper-confident, very charismatic characters all the time. I wish there'd be more writers like Park Hae Young to use their talent to create more meaningful characters, to portray men who are a bit more relatable and interesting, and move us all the more because of that.

 

Totally agree.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Latest favourable review (March 15. 2024) on MM.

https://rollingstoneindia.com/k-drama-flashback-my-mister/

But in the review:

'An ongoing source of emotional depth and intrigue is the tangled one between Dong-hoon and Ji-an, for example. Their relationship, which was built on mutual understanding and similar experiences, changes in ways that go against accepted social mores.'

 

So what is exactly DH and JA's relationship 'that go against accepted social mores'? 

And also what is the main story of MM? Lots of side stories and supporting characters won't make a story or drama a great classic, right?

 

  • Insightful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2024 at 10:05 AM, Raymond said:

Latest favourable review (March 15. 2024) on MM.

https://rollingstoneindia.com/k-drama-flashback-my-mister/

 

Thanks for sharing. The writer is very eloquent.

 

I appreciated these passages:

 

"A further veil to the action comes from the engaging dynamics within the “Park” family. The contrasting personalities of the two younger brothers, as well as Dong-hoon and his wife’s strained relationship, create a web of familial tension that heightens the drama. It carefully goes over the complex intricacies of family ties, stressing the beneficial and detrimental impacts that love, loyalty, and tolerance may have."

 

Someone should write about the "beneficial and detrimental impacts that love, loyalty, and tolerance may have" - it would be interesting to read a focused analysis of these in the show!

 

Also:

"While flawed and complicated, its characters are so likable. Rather than idealizing their circumstances, the drama dwells on their vulnerability, grief, and individual growth. My Mister hits home for me on multiple levels, making me feel everything from crushing sorrow to quiet moments of introspection and laying out the overarching ideas of survival and empathy that make up the series."

 

That's a nice reminder that it's not just Dong Hoon and Ji An that are trying to survive, but all the folks in Hugye as well as Yu Ra. Even the managing directors at Saman E and C are all trying to survive, through different means and with varying success.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone reads Spanish, this is a beautifully-written review of My Mister en español:

 

https://lascronicasdedeckard.com/critica-my-ahjussi-my-mister-un-kdrama-sanador/

My Ahjussi (My Mister), a Healing Kdrama

 

My-Ahjussi-Kdrama-Poster-Critica-Las-Cronicas-de-Deckard.webp?w=830&ssl=1

 

Some of my favorite passages translated into English:

 

"Ji-an is a young woman who has endured a difficult life, marked by harassment and beatings from her moneylender, the frustration of not being able to take good care of her grandmother, and also a dark past. She is very cold, hiding her feelings and thoughts from those around her, and keeping a low profile at work. She just wants the money needed to take care of her grandmother and pay off her debts. This will lead her to face difficult decisions, such as betraying Dong-hoon, who has been the only one who has treated her with respect and cared about her.
 

     She is a fascinating and complex character, who will face difficult situations and who will begin to show repressed emotions that have arisen thanks to some kind words. Actress Lee Ji-eun ('Broker', 'Dream') gives an impressive performance, giving the necessary depth to her character so that we understand all the choices she makes and what she is going through."

 

"What can be said at this point about the sadly deceased Lee Sun-kyun ('Killing Romance', 'Parasites', 'A Hard Day'), whose legacy will remain in our memory. That he is incredible. The few minutes you see him on screen, your eyes fill with tears remembering him, and even more so with this role. Dong-hoon seems to have no aspirations at work, and he almost doesn't care about receiving scorn from a boss he hates. His priority is the well-being of his family over his own. Letting his personal life fade away, especially his relationship with his wife, as at times they seem like strangers. But all this is destroying him inside, and he doesn't want to express it so as not to worry anyone."

 

"As Dong-hoon and Ji-an go through these hardships together, their relationship grows stronger through mutual support and understanding. They find comfort and strength in each other, discovering the true meaning of love, trust and solidarity in the midst of the difficulties they are going through. The chemistry between Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun is amazing; they manage to create a credible relationship despite the generational difference - which attracts a lot of attention in Korean society - and they complement each other perfectly."

 

"Dong-hoon's mother, played by Go Doo-shim, does everything she can for her children despite the headaches they cause her. She is proud of everyone despite what they are going through, and she trusts that they will get through it, although she worries especially about Dong-hoon, since she notices that he is worse affected by difficulties, although she does not show it."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, sweetroad said:

In fact, PDH and LJA understand each other very well in all sorts of verbal and nonverbal communication

 

It also doesn't take that long for JA to understands him, once she can hear him. When she's thinking of the moments she liked listening to (ep 15), they're all relatively early on (eps 4-6). It's like DH and JA got to know each other over the first six episodes, and everything after is them doing what they have to do for each other, to protect each other, now that they know how precious the other is. Even though I've seen so many actual romance dramas before and after, it's hard to surpass the intensity of the feelings here. 

 

It's impressive that JA can see the humanity in DH, because he's in a position where he's so restrained and subdued. He doesn't truly express himself when he's at home or at the bar with his friends. At work he just looks pitiful, he gets bullied by his superior for not wanting to cut corners. Like it must be so boring to see everything about a human being in each moment, and yet that's all she needs to fall for him. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2024 at 9:31 AM, Unclouded said:

When she's thinking of the moments she liked listening to (ep 15), they're all relatively early on (eps 4-6). It's like DH and JA got to know each other over the first six episodes, and everything after is them doing what they have to do for each other, to protect each other, now that they know how precious the other is.

 

Great insight. If JA discovered DH's worth by episode 6, he also discovered her worth by episode 5 when he saw her take care of her grandmother.

 

On 4/6/2024 at 9:31 AM, Unclouded said:

Like it must be so boring to see everything about a human being in each moment, and yet that's all she needs to fall for him. 

 

Haha, so boring. And she started out thinking he was so pitiful, but her respect for him grew when she heard him react to people who had crossed "red lines" with him - i.e. the condo owner in episode 4, his brothers when they were making fun of her in the street, Kwang Il in episode 9, etc. And perhaps when he finally stood up for himself and confronted YH about the affair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2024 at 9:25 AM, sweetroad said:

If anyone reads Spanish, this is a beautifully-written review of My Mister en español:

 

https://lascronicasdedeckard.com/critica-my-ahjussi-my-mister-un-kdrama-sanador/

My Ahjussi (My Mister), a Healing Kdrama

 

My-Ahjussi-Kdrama-Poster-Critica-Las-Cronicas-de-Deckard.webp?w=830&ssl=1

 

Some of my favorite passages translated into English:

 

"Ji-an is a young woman who has endured a difficult life, marked by harassment and beatings from her moneylender, the frustration of not being able to take good care of her grandmother, and also a dark past. She is very cold, hiding her feelings and thoughts from those around her, and keeping a low profile at work. She just wants the money needed to take care of her grandmother and pay off her debts. This will lead her to face difficult decisions, such as betraying Dong-hoon, who has been the only one who has treated her with respect and cared about her.
 

     She is a fascinating and complex character, who will face difficult situations and who will begin to show repressed emotions that have arisen thanks to some kind words. Actress Lee Ji-eun ('Broker', 'Dream') gives an impressive performance, giving the necessary depth to her character so that we understand all the choices she makes and what she is going through."

 

"What can be said at this point about the sadly deceased Lee Sun-kyun ('Killing Romance', 'Parasites', 'A Hard Day'), whose legacy will remain in our memory. That he is incredible. The few minutes you see him on screen, your eyes fill with tears remembering him, and even more so with this role. Dong-hoon seems to have no aspirations at work, and he almost doesn't care about receiving scorn from a boss he hates. His priority is the well-being of his family over his own. Letting his personal life fade away, especially his relationship with his wife, as at times they seem like strangers. But all this is destroying him inside, and he doesn't want to express it so as not to worry anyone."

 

"As Dong-hoon and Ji-an go through these hardships together, their relationship grows stronger through mutual support and understanding. They find comfort and strength in each other, discovering the true meaning of love, trust and solidarity in the midst of the difficulties they are going through. The chemistry between Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun is amazing; they manage to create a credible relationship despite the generational difference - which attracts a lot of attention in Korean society - and they complement each other perfectly."

 

"Dong-hoon's mother, played by Go Doo-shim, does everything she can for her children despite the headaches they cause her. She is proud of everyone despite what they are going through, and she trusts that they will get through it, although she worries especially about Dong-hoon, since she notices that he is worse affected by difficulties, although she does not show it."

This review is released in February 2024. Very new. Seems international reviews are in general more accurate, up to the point, and honest. Thanks indeed (will use google translate to read the whole review later).

I don't think I can find a drama so well written, directed, perfectly casted, acted, and as emotional from beginning to end, as MM. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, Raymond said:

This review is released in February 2024. Very new. Seems international reviews are in general more accurate, up to the point, and honest.

 

Yes, I think there has been a flurry of reviews of My Mister since Lee Sun-kyun passed away. It's nice to see these accurate and honest reviews in different languages for sure, hopefully drawing in more viewers around the globe.

~

This is another recent tribute to Lee Sun-kyun, written the day after he was laid to rest.

From the introduction:

 

"Lee Sun-kyun was the actor you turned to when you needed hapless complexity; when you had a role that demanded melancholy and exquisite pain, but could also float a sense of hope that was as sincere as it was bruised. His buttery voice made his performances even more memorable and elevated even the most random dialogue into something more substantial. While he was terrific as a love interest and a leading man, we believe he was at his best when he played the ordinary man who suffered and endured the most extraordinary things.

 

The day after he is laid to rest, we take a look at some of our favorite performances from our Ahjussi, Lee Sun-kyun....

"My Mister / My Ahjussi (2018)

This workplace slice-of-life drama quietly explores the everyday melancholy of being human, drawing out career defining-performances from Lee Sun-kyun as Park Dong-hoon, a middle-aged engineer who can’t seem to catch a break despite being a nice, upright guy, and from Lee Ji-eun (IU) as a cold and cynical temporary office worker in Dong-hoon’s firm. Through all 16 episodes, Lee Sun-kyun skillfully inhabits the pathos and pain of Park Dong-hoon as he quietly bears the burden of middle age with dignity and strength.

 

Despite tackling such heavy themes as poverty and depression, My Mister is an uplifting and satisfying healing drama. Its message is simple, clear, and beautiful: that kindness has the transformative power to heal even the most wounded among us, that relationships are precious and amazing, that love in any form--even in ways that are hard to label or define—can help us get through the struggles of life.

 

In a fiercely competitive year, My Mister beat out Mr. Sunshine and SKY Castle for Baeksang Best Drama and Best Screenplay in 2019 and earned acting nominations for Lee Sun-kyun, Lee Ji-eun, Oh Na-ra, and Kwon Na-ra."

 

Source: https://www.gwenchanoona.com/post/our-ahjussi-remembering-lee-sun-kyun

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2024 at 5:58 AM, sweetroad said:

 

Yes, I think there has been a flurry of reviews of My Mister since Lee Sun-kyun passed away. It's nice to see these accurate and honest reviews in different languages for sure, hopefully drawing in more viewers around the globe.

~

This is another recent tribute to Lee Sun-kyun, written the day after he was laid to rest.

From the introduction:

 

"Lee Sun-kyun was the actor you turned to when you needed hapless complexity; when you had a role that demanded melancholy and exquisite pain, but could also float a sense of hope that was as sincere as it was bruised. His buttery voice made his performances even more memorable and elevated even the most random dialogue into something more substantial. While he was terrific as a love interest and a leading man, we believe he was at his best when he played the ordinary man who suffered and endured the most extraordinary things.

 

The day after he is laid to rest, we take a look at some of our favorite performances from our Ahjussi, Lee Sun-kyun....

"My Mister / My Ahjussi (2018)

This workplace slice-of-life drama quietly explores the everyday melancholy of being human, drawing out career defining-performances from Lee Sun-kyun as Park Dong-hoon, a middle-aged engineer who can’t seem to catch a break despite being a nice, upright guy, and from Lee Ji-eun (IU) as a cold and cynical temporary office worker in Dong-hoon’s firm. Through all 16 episodes, Lee Sun-kyun skillfully inhabits the pathos and pain of Park Dong-hoon as he quietly bears the burden of middle age with dignity and strength.

 

Despite tackling such heavy themes as poverty and depression, My Mister is an uplifting and satisfying healing drama. Its message is simple, clear, and beautiful: that kindness has the transformative power to heal even the most wounded among us, that relationships are precious and amazing, that love in any form--even in ways that are hard to label or define—can help us get through the struggles of life.

 

In a fiercely competitive year, My Mister beat out Mr. Sunshine and SKY Castle for Baeksang Best Drama and Best Screenplay in 2019 and earned acting nominations for Lee Sun-kyun, Lee Ji-eun, Oh Na-ra, and Kwon Na-ra."

 

Source: https://www.gwenchanoona.com/post/our-ahjussi-remembering-lee-sun-kyun

 

Thanks again for another good article. But I am not sure if kindness alone would bring this kind of transformation and healing. Is it more to do with the incredible, beyond description, connection between these 2 souls? Is JA that kind? Kind enough to sacrifice herself for him? What's brought the transformation of DH, from 'as long as no one knows', to 'let everyone knows'?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..