Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Recommended Posts

Hello @misspiggie good to see you here. I know .. I said I won't be watching.. but who can resist the finale no matter how depressing it will be. :vicx: I was watching episode 23 with still a quarter episode to finish (dreading the ending of H&H :tears: ).. had to take a breather.. seeing how easy for the traitors to just give up crucial information for a quick recognition & success from Japan and yet they're actually being further humiliated & downgraded every time.. it's always never enough to please the new master. It's a lesson that KES is trying to point out besides the cruelty and sufferings.

 

I was watching and it feels that there would be sunshine after all the sufferings :unsure: .. like in most mini-series we'd often watch. We have the intro.. we have all the trials and tribulations.. then, the sacrifices and hardships to finally see the rise of good over evil. But here, the war is just starting and it doesn't end till another 60 years (right?) .. at the same time, we're already at the finale.. any happy indication.. is simply out of sight and out of question. Sigh.

 

Anyway.. it's a Sunday.. would tonight be too traumatic to start a new week tomorrow. :ph34r:

 

Two good sharing from MR.SUNSHINE alumni ~

 

Photo: Ko Woo Rim

 

Too bad we won't be seeing the same Do Mi after 3 years, maybe that's why he hasn't appeared. EC met GS but no mention of the boy.

 

 

Clip: Saram Entertainment

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some happy BTS pictures of the casts to cheer us up after the sadness in episode 23.

 

I really like the picture with Eushin couple and Maehwa couple. Maybe Kim Eun Seok could have told a different story with them that might not cause so much heartache maybe a romantic comedy where the 2 couples will go on double dates and we see how the 2 badass ladies boss their men around. :D But for me, I still like this story as told by Kim Eun Seok and would not change anything.

 

159150FD-1F9E-4D9A-A405-A64AFF30CF4F_zps

 

3B09B58D-8474-49D6-9C43-AC4032B64A6F_zps

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChewyChocolate said:

Did Hee Sung die? Was it his hand that Ae Shin saw dangling from the cart?

 

No, the hand dangling from the cart is that of her instructor or mentor Gunner Jang.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charray said:

Episode 23 is emotionally draining to watch as it showed the sad situation of the people in Joseon during that time. I do admire and give credit to Kim Eun Seok in showing the events as they happened and not sugar coating them for the viewers. However, since this is a fictional account, I still hope that she could write a good ending for the main characters that we love like Eugene and Ae Shin and Hui Seong and the seamstress to provide some message of hope and positivity of how the people could survive and live through the turbulent times as well.

...

Dong Mae wasted his time and even his life with his obsession over the wrong person and not realising that the woman who is in fact his soul mate is right there beside him all the while, Hina. Hina was also looking at the wrong man but she realised how futile it was earlier and wisely let go when she realised how futile it was. When Hina was finally able to confess to him, it was 3 years later when he finally returned to Joseon but it was too late as she was already at death’s door. If only Dong Mae had let go of Ae Shin earlier like after he cut off her hair, this is also the time when Hina finally let go of Eugene from her heart, Hina and Dong Mae might have a chance to build a life and find happiness together. 

 

 

 

Sorry for chopping up your post.  Love what you wrote.

 

Dong Mae’s own low perception of his self worth was partly the reason why he didn’t realize he can be loved by anyone, let alone return that love openly.  All these times, we and he thought Hina’s jealously toward AeShin was always due to her infatuation with EC.  Alas, it’s not.  It’s for the only man who ever said she is beautiful and deserving of simple happiness without having to bargain and manipulate for it.  Her life has been tragic ever since her father’s betrayal and her mother’s disappearance.  Living in the shadow for the country, yearning for a love to call her own.  King Min Jung is exquisite in her role, I won’t forget the graceful way Hina lived her life.

 

I teared up so much at the scene on the beach, with him calling out her name Lee Yang-hwa, and at his place after seeing all her paintings. She thought of every detail beforehand.

 

Forget your life as Lee Yang-hwa and stop living as Hina Kudo.  Carry make up in your purse instead of a gun.  Hang a beautiful painting in your room instead of a fencing sword. Meet a good man.  Don’t cry and don’t bite.  Just dream of living a normal life.

 

When Hee Sung used his camera to record history and passed it onto the seamtress, she is trusted with the burden to not let what happened be forgotten.  I cried.  When he said his goodbye to his father, I cried again.  It was his mother who finally understood the need to protect Joseon irregardless of class or wealth. She’s a changed woman.

 

I too trust the last episode to not let their sacrifices be without a change.

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This episode is too sad.. really touched me deeply.. our country ws once plundered by the richard simmons too, some elders until this day still are not able to forget or forgive.

 

As someone commented here, the tittle "Sunshine" shld at least give us some hope of a happy ending..

 

....esp Ae Shin and EC.. hope they escape and leave for US.. both can still continue their fights from there?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

 

Sorry for chopping up your post.  Love what you wrote.

 

Dong Mae’s own low perception of his self worth was partly the reason why he didn’t realize he can be loved by anyone, let alone return that love openly.  All these times, we and he thought Hina’s jealously toward AeShin was always due to her infatuation with EC.  Alas, it’s not.  It’s for the only man who ever said she is beautiful and deserving of simple happiness without having to bargain and manipulate for it.  Her life has been tragic ever since her father’s betrayal and her mother’s disappearance.  Living in the shadow for the country, yearning for a love to call her own.  King Min Jung is exquisite in her role, I won’t forget the graceful way Hina lived her life.

 

I teared up so much at the scene on the beach, with him calling out her name Lee Yang-hwa, and at his place after seeing all her paintings. She thought of every detail beforehand.

 

Forget your life as Lee Yang-hwa and stop living as Hina Kudo.  Carry make up in your purse instead of a gun.  Hang a beautiful painting in your room instead of a fencing sword. Meet a good man.  Don’t cry and don’t bite.  Just dream of living a normal life.

 

When Hee Sung used his camera to record history and passed it onto the seamtress, she is trusted with the burden to not let what happened be forgotten.  I cried.  When he said his goodbye to his father, I cried again.  It was his mother who finally understood the need to protect Joseon irregardless of class or wealth. She’s a changed woman.

 

I too trust the last episode to not let their sacrifices be without a change.

 

 

This was very well said I couldn't have grasped the full meaning behind that scene between HeeSung and his parents. Writer Kim Eun Sook has so many symbolic intentions that she incorporates beautifully into her stories. I believe she has already written a much bigger picture for this drama that goes beyond what happened during this time period. 

 

On that last scene when Mr Haengrang and Ms Haman almost held hands but didnt, at first I thought that was cruel. They should've been able to do that just before their last breath. But then, in retrospect, I thought what makes it more cruel was that why should they only hold hands at their last breath, they should not be deprived of doing that at any time. There should never be a circumstance of a turbulent period to deprive anyone of living. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

As someone commented here, the tittle "Sunshine" shld at least give us some hope of a happy ending..

 

....esp Ae Shin and EC.. hope they escape and leave for US.. both can still continue their fights from there?

i think most of us want that ...all we can do is hope... Only a few hours an we will know ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @rubie

 

Good to meet again. Thought your profile name looked familiar.

 

Guessing from his conversation with Kyle, I'm thinking EC will stay behind to fight with AS -- he couldn't bear to leave her too, and it's more attuned to KES's style. But hey, surprise me! 

 

Dare I hope for another fraternity gathering to provide the last light-hearted moment, even if we do have the pawn brothers and the translator-brethrens. I say this also because I fear DM will be next to go.

 

Only a few hours to go -- so near yet so far away ...

 

I will miss a good show.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cynkdf said:

 

I just wanted to say I love this song the most. The title alone "How Can I Forget You" encompasses what this drama conveys. We are not to forget. We are not to allow anything like this to happen ever again. I have yet to see English translation for the lyrics. I am certain it is just as haunting and poignant as the melody. Beautiful voice. Beautiful song. 

 

(Sorry if quoting video is not allowed. I dont know how to remove it). 

Edited by writteninthestars09
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that, loosely translated: 

 

(English = Korean)

Love = Sarang (sah-rahng)

Live = Sara (sah-rah)

 

Both words in either language are so closely-matched -- fun word-play! 

 

Image result for 阳光先生 戒指

 

step0000.jpg?1538300636763

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 23 had some enlightening moments.. despite the gloomy sadness all over, there's always life lessons inserted by KES in this particular drama.

 

Mr. Haengrang and Ms. Haman (H&H) and the elderly RA members, they volunteered to be the deadly decoy so that the others could escape undetected. Good thing the young boy told them that he saw the 2 Japanese soldiers or they'be totally ambushed without any notice. Come to think of it, Eun San is indeed a good leader/strategist for the RA, placing the supposedly deaf-mute acupuncturist at Lee Wan Ik's home. Even Lee Deok Mun doesn't have an inkling, making it an easy access to inside intel for RA. It's no wonder, the old man looked knowingly at AS when she was there to kill LWI. These are brave people, giving their lives so that the others can safely continue their mission.

 

After this, knowing what happened to H&H, hopefully Eugene will realize that he and AS shouldn't hold back their personal happiness as well, no matter how hard, they should and would fight to live for each other. It's probably pointless at the time when things are in chaos and AS now a wanted person by the Japanese. But I remember that EC may have already thought about marrying AS when he saw how Gunner Jang lost his wife, HongPa. Every moment is just so precious to them. In order to save AS in Japan, he had to do the unthinkable and that cost him his military position and they even wasted 3 years of separation by being in jail. But it's something that had to be done, if EC was still an American Captain, it would actually be harder even impossible for him to protect AS in Joseon.

 

Really can't say what will happen in the finale (speculations might come true th_hush.gif ).. anxiously waiting and obviously can't stay away. The ending might 'ruin' us.. but not knowing would be the worst dilemma. No way out.. but into the flame.th_draak.gif

 

Similar to the group photos posted by @charray, here are larger captures of the images. If somehow they appear smaller due to soompi's auto-resize, please check out this link for the source. Also posted at tvn IG for various sizes.

 

ms328.jpg

 

ms329.jpg

 

ms332.jpg

 

Spoiler

ms330.jpg

 

Spoiler

ms331.jpg

 

Spoiler

ms333.jpg

 

Spoiler

ms334.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

I just wanted to say I love this song the most. The title alone "How Can I Forget You" encompasses what this drama conveys. We are not to forget. We are not to allow anything like this to happen ever again. I have yet to see English translation for the lyrics. I am certain it is just as haunting and poignant as the melody. Beautiful voice. Beautiful song. 

 

(Sorry if quoting video is not allowed. I dont know how to remove it). 

So happy to read your post. I am glad HCY was invited to join such a great OST line-up, and to see that the music production team managed to showcase his brilliant vocals really well. Bonus is that we get to see HCY's face as he records :)

 

HCY posted about his OST on his instagram :)

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

th_sad004.gif Incredibly heartbreaking scene,

Spoiler

 

Ae Shin getting to see the mother who raised her for the last time. th_sad004.gif First it's her grandfather, then Gunner Jang.. now the only parents she ever knew.. 

 

Even though there's the RA family and aunt(+cousin) away in Manchuria.. it's Eugene who must live for Ae Shin to be alive, she really has no one now..

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

too bad tvn is not working for me...i'll have to wait for the episode and watch later...let's hope AS and EC will survive...i have to leave...i'll be back later to read your updates and everybody thoughts about today ep ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...