[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

I actually dont mind a super tragic ending and I was mostly prepared for one, however, I was a little disappointed that all the death and sacrifice seemed to be for too little reward. WHY would Ms Haram and Mr H volunteer for that duty and why wasnt Aeshin sharp shooting? They could have made it out of there. Needless. Hui-song's death felt meaningless as well. Dont get me started on Eugene. He had been in tighter spots then that train ride before. Also, there were a few RA members who where armed. They could have helped out a little at least!! It felt a little tragic for tragedy's sake. I dont care that there was too little physical romance with AS and EC but for gods sake the kid at the grave should have been their child! The love-making could be off screen but give us a little hope that they enjoyed one another at least once!!! Vent and rant over. Once the emotions wear off, I'm sure I will see some of the reasoning behind such a traumatic ending

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

One of the best drama thus far! 

From the cinematography to the plot everything was superb.

I really love how Ae Shin was portrayed. She was loyal to her country and goal till the very end. No matter what, love did not make her waver and do something stupid like how any other drama would portray the leading lady. 

Eugene and Ae Shin chemistry was sizzling hot till the very end though I wish there were more scenes of them holding hands or at least a kiss scene? 

I can't believe all three men died! 

I thought maybe Haiseong will survive all this and tell the story in the future. 

The only thing I wished from this drama was to see a reincarnation of everyone who died! Also it will be great to see kim ji won and jingoo reprising their role as soldiers from dots as a reincarnation!

#seeyouagain

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, linygirl1 said:

I actually dont mind a super tragic ending and I was mostly prepared for one, however, I was a little disappointed that all the death and sacrifice seemed to be for too little reward. WHY would Ms Haram and Mr H volunteer for that duty and why wasnt Aeshin sharp shooting? They could have made it out of there. Needless. Hui-song's death felt meaningless as well. Dont get me started on Eugene. He had been in tighter spots then that train ride before. Also, there were a few RA members who where armed. They could have helped out a little at least!! It felt a little tragic for tragedy's sake. I dont care that there was too little physical romance with AS and EC but for gods sake the kid at the grave should have been their child! The love-making could be off screen but give us a little hope that they enjoyed one another at least once!!! Vent and rant over. Once the emotions wear off, I'm sure I will see some of the reasoning behind such a traumatic ending

Thanks for this. I felt the same.

I do not buy the train scene as it does not make sense. I think they had it because it is so dramatic.. Ae Shin had earlier already assessed that they can manage the number of Japanese soldiers on board and that is why she gave the order for the train to move off so that the Japanese cannot bring in more soldiers.

I agree Eugene had been in tighter situations yet he can manage them. He could also seek assistance from the other RA guys on the train who are also armed. And why would Eugene only have 1 bullet left? Shouldn’t he prepare before hand? 

Platoon 3 and 4 are supposed to take the train to Pyongyang and then onward to Manchuria. Eugene and Ae Shin could get married there and they can both train future RA there and bring up a child there too. They were that close to a happy ending but Kim Eun Seok has to be cruel to give them such a tragic fate of having Eugene die in a suicide attempt to take down the Japanese soldiers. Even if she wants to kill off Eugene, at least let them get married and have a child first so they have a future generation. 

In the end, Eugene is buried in Joseon in a foreigner cemetery while Ae Shin is living faraway in Manchuria. They never consummated their marriage and they did not even get to live together as Husband and Wife not even for a few days. Eugene still does not belonged anywhere. And Ae Shin lived alone for the rest of her life without her love, Eugene. My heart breaks for him and Ae Shin. They deserved some marital bliss and happiness even if it is short lived. But they failed to get even that.

How tragic can it get?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

@cynkdf

Someone posted the lyrics of HCY's song and it is just as beautiful. I love it. 

Hi there, I saw the translation - the lyrics are beautiful and poignant.  I just finished watching ep 24 with subs, cried during several scenes.  

This is the first KES drama I've watched (must confess to not having watched all episodes, only started since end July)  - and since I am not one to analyze a drama, I will just say that I salute KES for taking on a really ambitious and important project, and for succeeding magnificently IMHO. 

A big thank you to all the lovely contributors to this thread, especially @rubie 

• Like 6

Feeling a little less in denial seeing & reading good responses to MR.SUNSHINE and an overall positive comments all around. Yet at the same time started remembering, thinking and analyzing some of the could-have-beens.. it's back to square one. Sigh.. it's hard to let go and harder to make it go. 

@linygirl1.. When Ms Haman & Mr. Haengrang went into town as decoys, I believe Ae Shin was on a sniper job to kill Lee Dae Mun, whose body found by EC and DM. AS didn't realize that the group had to move immediately as the Japanese soldiers are gaining on them.. about the same time they were tipped by LDM about AS as one of the RA. It's a communication gap and the group of elderly still went without any backup because they were short of manpower and ammunition. They knew what will happen so they tried to be nonchalant about it. th_sad.gif

I totally agree that there should have been at least one offspring from the couple. As you said, it's what married couples would go through. Can't help thinking.. that they could have had a baby three years back. If there was a child, even if EC didn't know about it while he was in jail, he would have planned things a lot better for the sake of his family once he's back in Joseon. But then, it will be my script and not KES.th_dontcare.gif

Anyway.. what I wanted to let out.. the RA was clearly short of rifles and bullets and a lot of stuff. They couldn't get guns from outside sources without being exposed. But when they attack the Japanese soldiers, they left all the guns there and didn't take any with them. I mean, the soldiers are dead, surely some of the guns are still in working condition and there might be spare bullets on them as well. I kept seeing that they took the trouble to dispose the bodies of Japanese soldiers they killed (to cover their tracks) but did not take the guns, unless it wasn't shown. Even the horses, they only took one for AS to get back to the group. Why follow the book/rules too strictly when common sense was for them to survive by every means necessary.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

I haven’t got the chance to watch the 2 last eps.

So how is DM at the end? Lol big fan of DM, would like to watch DM in new happy ending drama lol 

Spoiler

All the other 4 main leads died except for Ae Shin. Dong Mae was killed by Musin gang. Ae Shin is the only standing at the end. 

I put in spoiler for you. 

I find it hard to go back to rewatch earlier episodes. Knowing their sad ending, the earlier sweet Eushin moments had become bittersweet and sad too.

Any recommendation of projects of KMJ or KTR to watch?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, charray said:

Any recommendation of projects of KMJ or KTR to watch?

I don't remember watching KMJ before, maybe I have but I'm glad I saw and liked her a lot in MR.SUNSHINE. Will surely remember Kudo HiNa for a long time. 

Spoiler

Prior to the drama, I saw KTR's Little Forest, pretty recent movie.. this year. An absolutely delightful healing movie that will make you go hungry. :lol: I love watching people prepare & enjoy simple meals (like variety show TMAD, etc).. so, this is my kind of movie.

I haven't seen it but KTR was also in the movie 1987: When the Day Comes about the civil uprising in Korea, a more serious movie based on true events. She's being nominated in various awards ceremonies for her role in this movie.

• Like 1

Part 2

My earlier statement was caused by anger and disappointment. When I woke up in the morning and some time passed, I do not feel better - nothing had changed. I did not want to complain about the series. I did not want to pay attention to the lack of logic in the story, but the writers set themselves on target. I wanted to be polite and avoid uncomfortable topics because of this period, but I can not do it anymore.

I respect the sad and dark history of Korea from this period. However, I saw many series and films from many countries and the writers did something terrible at the end. I can even reconcile with bad endings but here it was done very badly.

I had a great time with many scenes and sentences spoken by characters. However, the insertion of a certain behavior and philosophy into main characters caused that they became unnatural and unreal. 

Ep 24 

When AS revealed the base to her husband (he came with a journalist). I did not feel a bond between them (she said the sentence as if he was only a close friend whom she trusted). Their relationship between the noblewoman and the former slave was not even noticed. People should see their happiness seeing each other and love especially in this difficult situation. He is a stranger - Aeshin and Eunsan 3 years hide she married him (a real treasure, a guy who did everything for her, she often failed him) and his actions for country (good intentions even he didnt care). What?!

They spent some time together, which was again misleading. As usual, she decided to abandon him. Seriously, her love looks terribly false. Her attitude simply pissed me off - exaggerated patriotism. Emperor and interpreter knew Eugene was in prison! (i forgot name, Eugene could had contact with emperor and why writers didnt use it to save Aeshin/Eugene characters?). Aeshin and Eunsan didnt know about this? What?!

Her character and Eugene was totally spoiled. I'm not going to hide it. Hina, DM, HS, Eunsan become second characters. I felt a better bond with Eugene and Aeshin (writers went this way in many episodes). I do not like especially their ending by forced script - it was supposed to come out patriotically and it were poorly written and illogically because of their actions. 

Second characters: Somehow I dealt with it

I noticed Hina died because of wounds and was not treated (her role ended? She blow up hotel, daughter of traitor, we only know her mother hide and died in christian village). Eunsan died in ambush, HS actions was found and beaten to death by japanese, DM come back after 3 years to say goodbye (Manchuria - it was written badly) and was killed by ronins (this was hard for me because i really like logic/realism but somehow i accepted this because his role ended in the series).

I have the biggest problem with Eugene and Aeshin.

I stopped looking for hidden meanings and symbolism after they started to spoil the characters of Lord Go and Aeshin (half of the series). The wall of people in ep 24 did not impress me and why exactly people of Joseon needed her sacrifice (forced script and she should after Japan focus about private happines). I believe that the role of Eugene and Aeshin should ended in Japan (he killed Takashi Mori, she took a bank certificate and saved the adviser of the emperor). This is where their participation in RA should end. She was useless and wanted in Joseon (she hide half a year).

Three last episodes was not needed for their story.

When Eugene died I felt disbelief and anger at this stupid scene in train. If they wanted to use train, she should look like grandma (change the appearance - wig, aging make-up). She leaving Eugene (why again writers?) and her easy-to-detect clothing and appearance made her a fool (It is not even strange behavior anymore in previous episodes). Btw what happened to her passport? Why did she take it with her? Many times i saw her without a ring and they forgot about this too (needed for only few scenes).

When Aeshin in Manchuria says, "Those were glorious days. Each of us was a flame, and all of us bloomed, were burnt and wilted vehemently. And once again, we wish to ignite the embers left by our comrades… Goodbye, my comrades. See you again when our country regains its independence." I did not feel anything good (they wanted make get her statement meaningful, patriotic and was very bad after how she treated Eugene and what happened to Eugene because of her stubborn behavior).  She did not lose him at all. If she made the right choice in Japan, he would not have died in such a stupid way. I stopped to like her character few episodes ago and after the last three episodes I do not feel any sympathy and only reluctance to her. I am disappointed with Eugene character (when he said she pay off debt... how, when?) and his unnecessary death. Making Eugene a hero who was not respected before his death is so cheap and hopeless story and I have impression that they buy good opinions about Mr Sunshine. He should have hit her on the head long time ago and take her to a safe place (Japan - Shimonoseki harbor before they was chased by ronins). You may not like my approach, but I would not let her be so free (immature woman who has crossed the line of tolerance, with her mind detached from reality and living in her own unreal world). In my country, they also make films and historical series that annoy me. When I want to be critical, I share my opinion.

I would prefer if there were special episodes with different endings (I know this not happen :/). I do not like the current point of view of writers. Koreans should write a petitition for alternative ending because last three episodes was spoiled (really there is someone who like this forced ending? I do not belong to these people and Im dissapointed what i saw in few last epidodes and this terrible made ending). Eugene and Aeshin are not ordinary people but a bizarre philosophy by KES and their relationship and approach to life is so unnatural (writers exaggerated with this symbolism, patriotism and lack of realism/logic). The only thing that could save the last episodes made by writers (Eugene's death) is a child - proof of their love. That is why their relationship is bizarre and does not make sense. 

Certain things are simply natural when you are married. Only if you write an unrealistic script there is a lot of nonsense. 

I spent many hours watching this series and was disappointed with this bad written ending (the last impression matters, not a few things that they did well).

I know this is fictional series (characters, events and they added few historical characters/events). I was hoping that they would put on some logic and realism since it is a historical series. When someone do bad work Im sincerely harsh. This is not a good series and writers have wasted all potential. Sometimes I return to movies and series (even those with sad ending) and writers have done something amazing - I do not like the two main characters who were supposed to be liked and positive in first half and made them fools and very irritating. I saw few months ago the Chinese "Siege in the fog" and did not expect anyone to approach this low level (irritating characters and terrible made ending). They made the same mistake in Siege in the fog - there was no child. Apparently, they chose a sad ending because they made a scene with the child but they cut out this scene from Siege in the fog. KES does not learn from the mistakes of others.

I do not want to argue here. Soompi users have the right to their own opinion but my negative will not change. I probably will not see anything more written by these writers. I can not even turn on the good scenes from the first half of the series after what they did to Aeshin and Eugene characters. Writers disappointed me so much. I liked KES way of writing but this time she crossed the line of my patience by serious mistakes or her bizzare point of view. Series about which I want to forget as soon as possible. Reward for actors (stupid script is not their fault because they played the best they could), for music and clothes/scenery. Writers do not deserve but we know that they will get reward :/

• Like 9

I cried extremely hard watching the last episode!! Fabulous acting!! Great historical drama!!!  I Googled Korean history like crazy watching this.  To my sister's boyfriend (in her mind), Lee Byung Hun, I have a new respect for your acting. Kim Tae Ri gets all of the awards!!!! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, charray said:

In the end, Eugene is buried in Joseon in a foreigner cemetery while Ae Shin is living faraway in Manchuria. They never consummated their marriage and they did not even get to live together as Husband and Wife not even for a few days. Eugene still does not belonged anywhere. And Ae Shin lived alone for the rest of her life without her love, Eugene. My heart breaks for him and Ae Shin. They deserved some marital bliss and happiness even if it is short lived. But they failed to get even that.

How tragic can it get?

I don’t know how it could be more tragic than this. In the end Eugene was and will be always a lonely foreigner as Hina called him.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, rubie said:

I don't remember watching KMJ before, maybe I have but I'm glad I saw and liked her a lot in MR.SUNSHINE. Will surely remember Kudo HiNa for a long time. 

Prior to the drama, I saw KTR's Little Forest, pretty recent movie.. this year. An absolutely delightful healing movie that will make you go hungry. :lol: I love watching people prepare & enjoy simple meals (like variety show TMAD, etc).. so, this is my kind of movie.

I haven't seen it but KTR was also in the movie 1987: When the Day Comes about the civil uprising in Korea, a more serious movie based on true events. She's being nominated in various awards ceremonies for her role in this movie.

I saw 1987. KTR was delightful in that movie. Maybe that role led her to Ae Sin. Her character in 1987 was also innocent, stubborn and passionate. 

• Like 3

I don't think the denial or dissatisfaction of the ending will go away easily. The more we think of it, the more we feel that Eugene should have survived. He could have shut the train coach door quickly, shoot the hook off and jumped back to the other coach. He may get shot while doing so but it's an escape from simply suicidal. Sigh.. but it wouldn't be as impactful an ending that a lot of Kdramas and Kmovies productions are fond of. 

I wonder if there's an alternative ending to the one we saw on Sunday. There had been tweets (not confirmed though) that the final episode would be longer but that didn't happen. Will it be a different footage included in the Director's Cut?There's no indication of course. I don't really like the comparison but IRIS in 2009 had a movie version out which was mainly an edited shorter version of the 24-episode series. The ending was still the same, LBH's character died in both with the sniper revealed in the movie. To me, the movie version was just the production greed to reap more $ and nothing substantial. Well, I had issues with the drama but that's just me. It had really high ratings, well-received and a lot of fans liked it, so it's fine in the end.

But MR.SUNSHINE is different, maybe I'm wishing for a little more to remember from the drama than just trauma in the end. The train hostage situation came out too quickly (too easily?).. we're caught dumbfounded and now it's just over. It could have ended differently and still be as memorable but the repeated Gun, Glory and Sad Ending phrase would never allow it.

Somehow.. apart from the fans' responses of agony on twitter and forum like us here.. the production is rather quiet about the ending. There hasn't been any interviews about it.. the actors doesn't say anything either. Well, not that there should be a big notice or something. Just that it felt rather.. strangely quiet.. for some reason, it felt like the drama hasn't really ended.th_bricks.gif Ok, now that's just me rambling nonsensical, of course. 

Denial.. denial.. denial.. th_sad011.gif

• Like 5

This is one great Korean drama. What touched me the most is the love confession of Hina to Dong Mae while she is dying at his back. I think this is the first drama I saw where a love confession is made while piggy backing and dying at the same time. The writer and the director must be a hopeless romantic for injecting that scene on the drama. :D

While it is true that the death of the three wise men (Dong Mae, Heu Song and Eugene) are very sad, it injected to the show how their lives intertwined for the sake of Ae Shin and for the love of Joseon. Nothing can be expressed more with giving your life for a common goal. The writer and the director must be a frustrated super hero as well for coming up with this scenario. :D

Until the very end, the writer and the director did not afforded me the chance to see a kissing scene between Ae Shin and Eugene. I was not asking for a bed scene. I just want a little peck that should last for about 15 seconds but my request was flatly denied. I'm quite disappointed. Hahahaha! :bawling:

To the administrator of this thread, thank you so much for letting me be a part of this wonderful drama interaction. To the producers, writer and director of this drama, the bar for excellence had been raised so that others could follow your steps from hereon. Salute to the men and women of this drama. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I've been on several sites to see people's reactions to Mr Sunshine and mostly I have seen positive reviews. Of course we all wanted a happy ending. Even though we all know this tragic part of Korean history, we all still wished for a happy fictional ending for our characters. But alas this was not to be.

I am not sure but maybe the writer has a greater message to deliver than just a "typical love story". I remember reading a comment before, not sure if someone said it here, about the parallelism of AeShin's love story with the 3 men. That it is actually a love story between the people of Joseon represented by different classes namely HeeSung (nobility), Eugene and DongMae (slave and low born) for their country represented by AeShin. I think when it is viewed from this perspective, then the story of their journey to this realization and even their tragic deaths holds a more profound meaning. 

Even the love story of Eugene and AeShin was beautiful without any skinship. Because it has to be pure. Because it is on a deeper level of love. Each line from Eugene lamenting his love for AeShin not being reciprocated actually shows how Joseon has not really accepted him as a Joseon man yet he still finds himself drawn to helping its people. 

I am not Korean and I have not actually experienced any atrocities that is being depicted here, yet I am deeply moved by what the people of Joseon gave through their bravery, loyalty and compassion not just to their country but for each other. As Eugene said "not one of them was a single deserter". And even Potter Eun San said something about being outnumberrd by 10 fighters yet they will easily crumble because of people's passion to fight for what they believe in. 

I will still rewatch this drama for its many wonderful scenes and because to me, it is worth watching.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, charray said:

How tragic can it get?

Hi @charray, I see the burial from a different POV.

Eugene still acknowledged his American status, and such status played an important role to his survival. Thanks to Joseph, Eugene was given a chance to live as an American, because he probably would have not have survived if he wasn't able to escape Joseon as a child. He also assisted the RA and other Joseon citizens due to the military training from America. Since he chose to die in Joseon, he was buried as a foreigner (American status that kept him alive) in Joseon soil (his birth and death). Lastly, he was finally reunited with Joseph, his father-figure who was also buried in the foreigner cemetery. 

PS - This was also to show the everlasting impression of such phrase in English.

UZb75Fy.jpg

• Like 5

It's been a while I didn't post anything here and just become a silent lurker. Thanks for sharing all the discussion, opinions, strips, BTS, pics, videos, OST etc so we could get updates and things that could entertain us.

I should admit that I haven't watched the last 2 episodes. I just read the live recaps. I feel disappointed and lose interest. I agree with some soompiers here that it's forced and some didn't make senses. I was amazed with the character of Ae Shin but then I found her to be selfish. I remember one once mentioned about her character of being selfish and naïve noblewoman earlier. She analysed it right. I didn't feel the love anymore from Ae Shin to Eugene like in the episode when she ran to Eugene in forest after had argument with her grandpa. It must be not love. And I don't know why Eugene still love her after 3 years of no contact and they don't even have that enough 'bonding', not even psychological or emotional bonding. Well if the writer wanted to show the world that skinship is not everything in love, well she could do better to make us believe that. I just couldn't get why Eugene would sacrifice that much and did something out of his character for her. He lost his mind for a fantasy? There are many other things need to be criticized, but I think others have mentioned it as well. 

Anyhow, It indeed has great cinematography, great acting, but well, the plot seem to be forced in the last episodes, it's just too  tragic ending and doesn't make sense for me to accept. I watched some sad ending drama too and I could accept them, but this one I just can't. That kind of ending is not my cup of tea, true. But well, I will just leave it and watch rom-com! :rolleyes: hasta la vista!

• Like 3