[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

I wanted to say a sincere thanks and a heartfelt goodbye to all the show's fans who frequent this thread. It has been a pleasure participating in the discussions, reading others thoughts and getting translations, spoilers and other info so easily.

I say this in advance because if the finale has a tragic ending in store for either EC or AS or both,  I don't think I will be entering this thread or post my comments at my other usual haunt at dramacool. It may sound irrational but IMHO, it is the best way to get over a show and try to move on from its tragic story line. Dwelling on it, rewatching the show's old episodes and participating in discussions only makes it worse (at least for me).

So, thanks again for everything.  I usually watch only two or three kdramas per year, so I hope to see you guys in the discussion threads of some amazing drama in the future.

• Like 8

@mistergenie, aww.. we'll miss you a lot but don't stay away too long (from soompi).. I have no one to stalk the thread with while MR.SUNSHINE is airing on tvN. But then.. I'm not sure if I could watch the finale but I can't help torturing myself at the same time. To be honest, it's still so surreal.. did ep 23 really happened? The aftermath of the senseless deaths would be hard to watch..  watching AS and everyone get so heartbroken again. All I can say.. KES is just cruel.

@philosophie Subscene has the subs for ep 23, I've just checked and dl-ed. Now going to watch the dreaded episode. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What I can say, it is six ‘o clock in the morning and I cannot sleep anymore... this all does not do any good to my inclination to insomnia... I am too much into this drama, it is not sane, really.  Re-watching, I think that some deaths seemed senseless, but in reality just seemed as such. They were shown as extreme sacrifices done for the fatherland. It has some meaning...today, in this time, this idea is quite alien to most minds, but it was the norm in the past: patriotism and sense of duty were taught with words and examples since childhood. 

• Like 5

@rubie @mistergenie

If past shows are any indication: 

* KES's shows end in mostly dubious, huh? and even weird ways, but rarely (if at all) sad endings. Her past shows usually hint that the male and female protagonists will be together, but I've yet to see one in the typical fairy-tale ... prince & princess got married and they lived happily ever after. I'm OK with that actually, otherwise it's too predictable. 

* I stopped believing the previews coz I've been fooled so many times before ... HAHA. 

* Mr Sunshine caught my eye by chance after 2 years of hiatus, and it didn't disappoint. Already at episode 22, I guess I'm spared the torturous weekly wait, especially when they are so good at ending with nail-biting cliffhangers. But then I also missed the discussions and speculations. Funny it was Byun Yo-Han (6 Flying Dragons) and Jin Gu (cameo) who caught my attention, not the famous Lee Byung-Hun. 

Here's hoping for a good ending ... or at least don't make us scratch out heads :P

• Like 5

Episode 23 is emotionally draining to watch as it showed the sad situation of the people in Joseon during that time. I do admire and give credit to Kim Eun Seok in showing the events as they happened and not sugar coating them for the viewers. However, since this is a fictional account, I still hope that she could write a good ending for the main characters that we love like Eugene and Ae Shin and Hui Seong and the seamstress to provide some message of hope and positivity of how the people could survive and live through the turbulent times as well.

The story of Hina and Dong Mae reminds me of the story of Roxanne and Cyrano Bergerac which had left a deep impression on me. 

Roxanne is the beautiful distant cousin of Cyrano that he had always been in love with but whom he did not confess as he felt that she would not love him due to his nose. He helped another man to win her heart through writing letters to her in his name. Roxanne wasted her time longing for that other man when in fact the one she loved was Cyrano and when she realised it, it was too late as Cyrano was already dying due to fatal wounds sustained.

Dong Mae wasted his time and even his life with his obsession over the wrong person and not realising that the woman who is in fact his soul mate is right there beside him all the while, Hina. Hina was also looking at the wrong man but she realised how futile it was earlier and wisely let go when she realised how futile it was. When Hina was finally able to confess to him, it was 3 years later when he finally returned to Joseon but it was too late as she was already at death’s door. If only Dong Mae had let go of Ae Shin earlier like after he cut off her hair, this is also the time when Hina finally let go of Eugene from her heart, Hina and Dong Mae might have a chance to build a life and find happiness together. 

I have watched a couple of dramas with Kim Min Jung. I recalled one was years ago with Kim Jae Won, New Heart with Ji Sung and the recent Man to Man. I think this is her best performance in all the works that I had seen her in. She also looked the most beautiful in this role. Kudos to the stylists responsible for styling her in this drama. Really hope that she can win some awards for this role. 

• Like 6

In the middle of the episode. My heart and nose hurt from crying so much... :tears:

I understand that the show is an homage to the unsung heroes of the Korean resistance, but I hope that it makes us all adamant about not allowing war anywhere on this earth ever again... It's asking for much, but at least she [the writer] would have succeeded in reminding us of its horrors. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Hello @misspiggie good to see you here. I know .. I said I won't be watching.. but who can resist the finale no matter how depressing it will be. :vicx: I was watching episode 23 with still a quarter episode to finish (dreading the ending of H&H :tears: ).. had to take a breather.. seeing how easy for the traitors to just give up crucial information for a quick recognition & success from Japan and yet they're actually being further humiliated & downgraded every time.. it's always never enough to please the new master. It's a lesson that KES is trying to point out besides the cruelty and sufferings.

I was watching and it feels that there would be sunshine after all the sufferings :unsure: .. like in most mini-series we'd often watch. We have the intro.. we have all the trials and tribulations.. then, the sacrifices and hardships to finally see the rise of good over evil. But here, the war is just starting and it doesn't end till another 60 years (right?) .. at the same time, we're already at the finale.. any happy indication.. is simply out of sight and out of question. Sigh.

Anyway.. it's a Sunday.. would tonight be too traumatic to start a new week tomorrow. :ph34r:

Two good sharing from MR.SUNSHINE alumni ~

Photo: Ko Woo Rim

Too bad we won't be seeing the same Do Mi after 3 years, maybe that's why he hasn't appeared. EC met GS but no mention of the boy.

Clip: Saram Entertainment

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some happy BTS pictures of the casts to cheer us up after the sadness in episode 23.

I really like the picture with Eushin couple and Maehwa couple. Maybe Kim Eun Seok could have told a different story with them that might not cause so much heartache maybe a romantic comedy where the 2 couples will go on double dates and we see how the 2 badass ladies boss their men around. :D But for me, I still like this story as told by Kim Eun Seok and would not change anything.

159150FD-1F9E-4D9A-A405-A64AFF30CF4F_zps

3B09B58D-8474-49D6-9C43-AC4032B64A6F_zps

• Like 9

2 hours ago, charray said:

Episode 23 is emotionally draining to watch as it showed the sad situation of the people in Joseon during that time. I do admire and give credit to Kim Eun Seok in showing the events as they happened and not sugar coating them for the viewers. However, since this is a fictional account, I still hope that she could write a good ending for the main characters that we love like Eugene and Ae Shin and Hui Seong and the seamstress to provide some message of hope and positivity of how the people could survive and live through the turbulent times as well.

Dong Mae wasted his time and even his life with his obsession over the wrong person and not realising that the woman who is in fact his soul mate is right there beside him all the while, Hina. Hina was also looking at the wrong man but she realised how futile it was earlier and wisely let go when she realised how futile it was. When Hina was finally able to confess to him, it was 3 years later when he finally returned to Joseon but it was too late as she was already at death’s door. If only Dong Mae had let go of Ae Shin earlier like after he cut off her hair, this is also the time when Hina finally let go of Eugene from her heart, Hina and Dong Mae might have a chance to build a life and find happiness together. 

Sorry for chopping up your post.  Love what you wrote.

Dong Mae’s own low perception of his self worth was partly the reason why he didn’t realize he can be loved by anyone, let alone return that love openly.  All these times, we and he thought Hina’s jealously toward AeShin was always due to her infatuation with EC.  Alas, it’s not.  It’s for the only man who ever said she is beautiful and deserving of simple happiness without having to bargain and manipulate for it.  Her life has been tragic ever since her father’s betrayal and her mother’s disappearance.  Living in the shadow for the country, yearning for a love to call her own.  King Min Jung is exquisite in her role, I won’t forget the graceful way Hina lived her life.

I teared up so much at the scene on the beach, with him calling out her name Lee Yang-hwa, and at his place after seeing all her paintings. She thought of every detail beforehand.

Forget your life as Lee Yang-hwa and stop living as Hina Kudo.  Carry make up in your purse instead of a gun.  Hang a beautiful painting in your room instead of a fencing sword. Meet a good man.  Don’t cry and don’t bite.  Just dream of living a normal life.

When Hee Sung used his camera to record history and passed it onto the seamtress, she is trusted with the burden to not let what happened be forgotten.  I cried.  When he said his goodbye to his father, I cried again.  It was his mother who finally understood the need to protect Joseon irregardless of class or wealth. She’s a changed woman.

I too trust the last episode to not let their sacrifices be without a change.

• Like 8

This episode is too sad.. really touched me deeply.. our country ws once plundered by the richard simmons too, some elders until this day still are not able to forget or forgive.

As someone commented here, the tittle "Sunshine" shld at least give us some hope of a happy ending..

....esp Ae Shin and EC.. hope they escape and leave for US.. both can still continue their fights from there?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Sorry for chopping up your post.  Love what you wrote.

Dong Mae’s own low perception of his self worth was partly the reason why he didn’t realize he can be loved by anyone, let alone return that love openly.  All these times, we and he thought Hina’s jealously toward AeShin was always due to her infatuation with EC.  Alas, it’s not.  It’s for the only man who ever said she is beautiful and deserving of simple happiness without having to bargain and manipulate for it.  Her life has been tragic ever since her father’s betrayal and her mother’s disappearance.  Living in the shadow for the country, yearning for a love to call her own.  King Min Jung is exquisite in her role, I won’t forget the graceful way Hina lived her life.

I teared up so much at the scene on the beach, with him calling out her name Lee Yang-hwa, and at his place after seeing all her paintings. She thought of every detail beforehand.

Forget your life as Lee Yang-hwa and stop living as Hina Kudo.  Carry make up in your purse instead of a gun.  Hang a beautiful painting in your room instead of a fencing sword. Meet a good man.  Don’t cry and don’t bite.  Just dream of living a normal life.

When Hee Sung used his camera to record history and passed it onto the seamtress, she is trusted with the burden to not let what happened be forgotten.  I cried.  When he said his goodbye to his father, I cried again.  It was his mother who finally understood the need to protect Joseon irregardless of class or wealth. She’s a changed woman.

I too trust the last episode to not let their sacrifices be without a change.

This was very well said I couldn't have grasped the full meaning behind that scene between HeeSung and his parents. Writer Kim Eun Sook has so many symbolic intentions that she incorporates beautifully into her stories. I believe she has already written a much bigger picture for this drama that goes beyond what happened during this time period. 

On that last scene when Mr Haengrang and Ms Haman almost held hands but didnt, at first I thought that was cruel. They should've been able to do that just before their last breath. But then, in retrospect, I thought what makes it more cruel was that why should they only hold hands at their last breath, they should not be deprived of doing that at any time. There should never be a circumstance of a turbulent period to deprive anyone of living. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1