[Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생

meechuttso

Waiting for subs... but based on raw viewing, JS went into Choi's house with a determined mission. I can't wait and am excited to find out what it is in upcoming episodes. I believe in her. That she would do the right thing and not let the messy situation get the best of her.

Not worried at all about JA, because we know nothing serious will happen to her. She is after all the heroine.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

@baduy Ji Soo, she has the right to be angry but nothing good can happen by letting anger engulf your senses. Ji An's last shred of hope, her point of no return was Ji Soo misunderstanding her intentions and questioning her honesty. It broke her, will Ji Soi be okay when she figures out what Ji An did after that confrontation? I don't think so. Thanks, for the post. 

Right now - it is all about miscommunication!!  Jian did not know that Ji-soo knew about her identity and that too in the manner of a volcanic explosion and Ji-soo is angry.  Her anger is not letting her hear about anything the other person has to say whether it is her bio parents, or her adopted parents, or her so called twin sister or even DK.    The anger is clouding her judgement of these folks and will continue until someone put a foot down and demands her to behave or get lost.  The rest of the folks are wallowing in pity of Jian and sorrowful to what has ensued so far.  

It will take a couple of episodes for Ji-soo to turn to normal and probably growth.  Her behavior with both the baker and Hyuk are pretty normal .

Will Ji-soo be okay when she finds out about what Jian did ?  Right now, I think she will chalk everything up to deceiving her and not caring for her, etc.,   As some one said, Ji-soo is in the "Me, I, mine, ....." realm of things.  Even after she figures out, she will have another problem as to whether Haesung family would want to introduce her and she will another outburst and probably come back to the Seo family.  Have to wait how the writer deals with this.  

Seeing Jian and Ji-soo and the entire family on the beach with happiness was the highlight of this episode for me -  since it brought the simpler times of family and fun on the beach without worrying about anything especially to Jian (since this must have been when they were still rich).  

I hope the pills that Jian swallowed at the end are not sleeping pills and hope someone finds her.  DK searching for her shows how she has grown on him and hopefully finds her and stows her away.  

@baduy  Thank you for explaining the nuances of the conversation.  Pretty helpful.  Since I watched the raw - the expression from the father was pretty much of shock - indicating how disrespectful the conversation was going about.  Same with Jian -  It was pretty nasty.  Even though I am not Korean, I am Asian and we know when to use respectful language and tone when speaking with the elders and knowing that I could hear the tone in which she was speaking to her father was pretty bad.  

English masks away those nuances found in some asian languages.  Thank you again for explaining it.  

7 minutes ago, baduy said:

What a charming warm-hearted lady Myeong Hui is. She and her husband are roused  from their pre-slumbers by the news that their long-lost daughter has just rung the doorbell . What's going on? she asks her husband indignantly. No idea, her replies, then says that he'd met Jin Su her earlier that day and she'd given no hint she might show up (true as far as it goes, but it appears he hasn't really told his wife the content or the outcome of the meeting)  At which Myeong Hui protests that it's "Just like that sort of people to show up without notice" So her finally revocered child is still to her one of "that sort of people" = not one of us. By this time, Ms Min has done the necessary with the entry buzzer and Jin Su is standing in front of them with her large wheelie suitcase in tow, completely unfazed by the "look what the cat's brought in" expression on her mother's face as she stares at the newcomer in a pose that manages to outdo in (f)rigidity even the chaebol bad-taste fake Greek sculptures which the PD has carefully placed prominently in shot. "Welcome," says Jae Seong warmly enough, while his spouse continues to gape wide eyed eyed and open mouthed -- and not with delight, either.  She finally manages to stammer "What brings.." but Jin Su, carrying on the determined pattern of disregard for all the nicities she displayed with her father earlier in the day, interrupts her, and looks curiously around her, like a potential housebuyer being led into a property by a real-estate agent, before directing her gaze towards the stairs (the unnmarried children always have their rooms on the second floor in these mansions) and saying without any preliminary greetings, "I'm told this is my family's home. Seeing as how I'm that family's daughter, I've come to live here. May I use Ji An's room? I guess it's up those stairs?"

I never approved what she did to JiAnny but I can't really hate JiSoo in this scene. The Choi family esp Madam No is going to have a taste of their own medicine after this and i wonder if it will ever come down to then that the fake daughter is 10 times better as a 'chaebol daughter' than their real daughter. :D

I know Ji An will survive as she is the lead but I can't really focus on all the other delicious shenanigans Ji Soo is up to in Choi household until somebody tells me what pills Ji An took, who pumped her stomach and if she is alright or in a coma or has lost her memory??

Wow, wow, wow!!! Was not expecting that turn of events. A disaster for everyone involved.

i am wondering what you all think of the possibility that when CDK gave the phone back could he have put a tracking device on it? The white car in the tunnel going by 2x, looked like his car. And throughout the Anniversary event, he followed her around like a little puppy. She threw her phone into the ocean, would he have her last location?  The wooded area can't be that far away, she is on foot. I agree, maybe he will find her first, or be notified by The Dye Master, as he has no one else to contact. Or.... Maybe JA manages to wake up on her own, and she saves herself! :heart:

Love reading everyone's thoughts. Have not watched Episode 21 yet, your posts are giving me life! 

Wow. I woke up in middle of the night and read the ending spoilers. I watched the preview. Ji Soo sounds very arrogant and brash. I was wincing when I heard how she answered them. To  be fair this brashness is behaviour I have seen from people who have suffered severe shock and have lost their points of reference. So although JS has not been one of my favourite characters- I do feel some sympathy for her. But man, she is so rude. They ain't getting a studious daughter. I snort laugh when I heard her replies.

Then I read Baduy's post. Ok, the writer is good. She has elevated an expected mesy plot point and made it even messier then my viewers imagination could visualize.

Is CDK's worry in ep 22 sort of a passive worry or is it really actually concerned about JA?  It doesn't sound as if he was if he had a scene with Hyuk. That means he hasn't done much about her disappearance.

I am going to be restrained and possibly hold off watching this weekend's episodes till ep 24 airs. There must be some definitive plot movement in 4 episodes. Since the writer moves so fast.

Still. I am wincing at the preview. It's going to be ugly. And I can't describe what she sounds like but she sounds like what I have seen translated as shameless for other dramas. His descriptions makes it sound as if she  is rude as well as disrespectful. MH is going to blow a gssket. Or several.  I was brought up in a very traditional household and I can just imagine the elders blowing a gasket if I behaved or talked like JS.

Well, my guess is that the ratings will go up. Cos' I can just see aghast viewers. And that translates to ratings right? Good luck to you guys who will be watching it.

The subs, I don't know if they are 100% correct but one thing is certain, Ji Soo is out of her damn mind right now. She is hurt, she doesn't know how to process it, so she is hurting everybody else in return. There's no way she will not regret it when she has had time to process it especially her conversation with Ji An was awful. Ji An did bring out the imbalance in their relationship out. She said what we've all been screaming for some time now. That Ji Soo is selfish...........she did point out that Ji Soo never tries to hear her out, never really thinks about how Ji An must have felt and doesn't let her say her part. She likes having her way but she doesn't care what consequences it has for others. She called Ji An greedy just like her parents are. That was the last straw. Ji An wasn't even well, you could see she was swaying back and forth and it was taking a lot of energy to speak, you could see her physical discomfort and pain but Ji Soo didn't see any of it. Since, she is hurt, she is out to hurt everybody even remotely connected to her pain whether they are responsible for it or not. She thinks her sister not coming home after such a confrontation is a minor thing. I was both appalled and bemused by her behavior. I knew she'd be hurt, won't listen but I never though she'd care so less for Ji An's well being. I am in a way glad this confrontation happened. The words that were spoken, she did hear them but she didn't process them. I am waiting for her rebellious streak to end so that she can process them.

Myung Hee, man, her face. She seemed more worried for Ji An,  and she is so not ready for Ji Soo. Ji An was like a gift from Santa to her. She is fond of her and she's so not ready for typhoon Eun Seok. It'll be fun seeing how things change in Choi household. Myung Hee, such a rude awakening is waiting for you. Ji Soo is your nightmare version of daughter. Also, she is hiding something major. All my sixth sense are telling me, Eun Seok disappearing is more complex than it looks. Some big, old skeleton in the closet. 

Ji An, poor girl, she has done nothing to earn the ire of the whole world. Ji An's pride was everything. They have taken that away, her own sister disregarded her sacrifices and her love for 25 years and called her a greedy, deceiving person. That after that idiotic Do Kyung called said richard simmons to her. It was hard watching her laugh in the beach all alone being haunted by happy memories. I wanted to go inside my computer screen and comfort her. I had hoped the suicide angle was me overreacting but she isn't made of steel. She is made of flesh and blood and her spirit, her honesty, her self-worth has been crushed. She looked manic in the beach....I've seen that in reality, Shin Hye Sun, hats off. Very well acted. Seo Eun Soo is doing well too.

Maybe, she'll have spiritual rebirth and rise like a Phoenix from the ashes. You know, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Her near death experience might just make her a better, stronger version of herself.

I have to say Ji An's mother did pin point Ji Su perfectly when she is mad she does not listen to anyone and we certainly see this happen in this episode. Ji Su is so hurt and angry at everyone that she fails to care or see the seriousness over Ji An not coming home. She is so caught up in finding out the truth and suspecting that they only wanted Ji An to profit and sent her instead of sending the real daughter she does not listen or take the time to see it from another point of view. She did not really give herself time to calm down instead packing a bag after being rude to both sets of parents and leaving to go back to her REAL parents. It will be a cultural shock for Ji Su and her rich parents. They certainly have a handful on their hands with Ji Su and she will learn she had it pretty good with the Seo's even if she feels they did not love her.

DK's thinking about trying to ease into things with Ji Su was correct instead of trying to push her back to them. Of course he was not aware of Ji Su's thoughts that even Ji An knew all the time and wanted the rich family instead of telling her. It's too bad that his mother is only really worried about what people will say to learn that Ji An Was not the real ES and his father is only thinking to bring his child home (hopefully she is his..) with no one else doing the job to mess it up.

We can tell that there is still some concern for Ji An from that family even though they are angry at the switch. Their reaction to her not coming home showed it. Given the preview scene of Ji Su asking DK why he is worried about Ji An when she is not his real sister only shows her selfishness. Just like her hateful words to everyone at the Seo household. Just because they are not her blood they did raise her like their own and Ji An was her sister. Finding out that they share no blood should mean nothing after the love and support she got from that family. I hope she remembers that instead of continuing to be angry. I feel like her attitude will cause someone on either side to let her have it. Either DK may be the one to wake her up or her brothers from the Seo household will.

I am glad to see the conversation that went on between the two fathers. At lease Papa Seo managed to confirm that Ji An did not know from the beginning and that she wanted to have them turn themselves in. It is too bad she got caught up and no one took the time to not only consider Ji Su but Ji An's mental state as well.

I am happy that Papa Seo found out from the friend of Ji An's that she did find out the truth but never said anything to them wanting to be able to tell the truth first. He looked shocked to learn this and worried to learn she had the burden of truth on her shoulders and what they did.

From the preview Papa Seo is very worried after 4 days have passed and no word from Ji An. His fear and apprehension to the detective at the police station seems very real as he says its not like her to disappear and that she is in shock. Perhaps everyone else thinks that because she is not the real daughter and she found out this fact she would have a better handled on processing this situation. Of course we can see its a combination of things and too many mental blows for Ji An at the same time. Even DK is starting to worry at no contact from Ji An or not being able to find her. I hope that the friend does not take too much time giving DK a hard time for asking if he has seen or heard from Ji An.

I would prefer Ji An just check out mentally to live quietly for a time instead of amnesia but then again if she is able to learn and grown and make a success then I am all for a little amnesia to keep people from interfering and giving her more blows she can not handle at the moment.

Both women need to have a sit down with everyone to clear the air and show that although Ji su was not theirs they loved her just as much as Ji An. The other side needs to realize that Ji An was just as much a victim as the rest of them were and be grateful to her for being such a good sister to their kid. Ji An and Ji Su both need some type of professional therapy to get past things I hope they are able to get Ji Su some.

I watched the episode without understanding a single word. I watched the emotions. I would call this episode "redemption". First paid JA, and the most expensive price - life. Through the redemption must pass all the heroes of this drama, only in this case there will be a transformation of their personalities. JA will survive, and only so life will gain for not value. I really hope that our assumptions are correct, and she will meet the master. He is the one who lost his loved ones. He must bring her the pain of loneliness and the pain of loss. They will become a drug for each other. He will fill her life with meaning, she will save him from hermitry.

@titania1000 its off putting, no doubt. I don't understand it yet I could see her slowly give up on her life. That was harrowing experience to be honest. See, Ji An move from utter shock and distress to pure euphoria and back to distress again. Like you said, its impossible to see what a person has in his or her mind when they have given up on life and I dare not judge here. I wouldn't label them with anything. It didn't bring up good memories for me personally. But the writer here has a solid ground work to address an issue that plagues South Korea so maybe, maybe something poignant will come out of this particular story line.

I was surprised by the suicide plot too especially since Koreans do have a high suicide rate. It is a very volatile subject.

For once, I do want the heroine to get memory loss. JA needs a break.

I am also all for JS rebelling.

It rubbed me off the wrong way when JA was so docile when she went to the Choi household. Because truly, if they accepted JS or even JA for that matter, they should have accepted them for who they are. Of course, we are shown that the Chois need to act a certain way but this is the one redeeming quality of the Seo family. Sure JS was a child and mama Seo was selfish but they wanted her as she was....

1 hour ago, baduy said:

A few more things came out that either haven't been mentioned here yet, or where they have been mentioned, it was in only one of the several contexts in which this writer tends to locate key events.

There was an instance in that encounter between Jin Su and her father, which I didn't digress into at the time. Namely his tellingly touchy reaction to that sore point (that particular raw nerve being a running motif in this drama)  of how come they managed to lose their supposedly so cherished daughter anyway. It came up again at the end of Tae Su's meeting with Jae Seong at the company (although it wasn't actually the end: there was yet another tricksy cutaway to a different scene before we learned what was said next)  Tae Su had just told Jae Seong what Mi Seong had told Myeong Hui after being accused of "just picking the child up on the street", namely that they found her in such a remote spot and in such a state that they feared she had been deliberately abandoned by parents she was better off without. It appears that the "remote spot" (mention of which had visibly peturberd Myeong Hui)  was news to Jae Seong. "What do you mean?" he demands, sitting forward in his chair. 

"The spot we found Ji Su wasn't even on a mountain trail, there were no dwellings anywhere nearby, it was a truly desolate place, with not the slightest trace of any other humans."  Jae Seong pricks up his ears. "Not the slightest trace of any other humans?" he queries."It made us think that the girl's parents might have heartlessly abandoned her to die." Tae Su continues.

At that, Jae Seong demands to know "Where is that place? The place you found Eun Seok abandoned." 

At which point we get the teasing cutaway to Myeong Hui barging into the location of the supposed "adbuctors"" "house arrest" to hand them two  scraps of paper and order them to write on them what she dictates. It's a place-name, or rather a geographical location, in the normal East Asian sequence from the general to the particular: "Gangwon Province , Cheorwon County, Min Tong Seon.  Now although that's the name of an otherwise insignificant village, most Koreans will recognize it as a place that ordinary citizens need a special permit to reside in, or even to visit. That's because it lies within the Civilian Exclusion Zone that runs parallel to the Southern Edge of the DMZ or Demilitarized Demarcation Zone between North and South Korea.  Mainly because of the fear that tunnels dug by the North Korean Military to infiltrate spies or saboteurs into the South (several hundred such tunnels have been detected and closed off in the past half-century) can emerge in that zone, which is designed to stretch  as far into S. Korean territory as a tunnel started in N. Korea could feasibly be excavated.

Why on earth Myeong Hui wants to have in her possession slips of that paper in the handwriting of both her "detainees" with that placename on them is a mystery. They ask why, but she merely reminds them that their lives still depend on their keeping absolutely silent about her daughter being found. They insist that they're obeying all her instructions to the letter and ask for some hint when they can be released from this "jail". "The time will come" is all Myeong Hui will say. Giving the gangsters on "guard duty" strict instructions to stay vigilant round the clock, she walks away. But the camera angles suggest that she's under surveillance as she does so.

We are taken back inside to where the couple are in a state of near collapse at the thought that Myeong Hui might easily have caught them out in their latest cash extorting scheme (though it hasn't yet been made clear to us exactly what that scheme may be) And they provide a glimpse of another piece of the jigsaw concerning  Eun Seok's disappearance, as the subs should make clear.

And a small prize to whoever can figure out what Jin Su is staring at in such pop-eyed fashion on a PC-bang monitor, because I certainly can't. We aren't allowed to see the display, and though we see her typing on the keyboard the camera viewpoint blocks us from seeing what keys she's pressing. That scene lasts under 9 seconds and is entirely without context, unless it's connected to the thing we hear Myeong Hui say immediately preceding it, namely that "that child" (=Ji Su) is a long way from being ready to live as her daughter. Best guess is that she's researching her birth family, and drawing up her plans, but that's pure conjecture.

Yes, thanks for taking the time to explain all this to everyone, Professor @baduy because it's key part of many of the scenes surrounding the real story of what happened to the baby girl 25 years ago. So it will be helpful to everyone here and add to all the mystery and intrigue that we can discuss while we wait for the Sunday Ep 22 bombshells to rain upon us.

3 hours ago, baduy said:

I just LOVE this writer, and the way the actors apparently effortlessly bring her imaginings to so much life...

She brings so much more than what I'm here for, which was mainly Shin HyeSun. The story is just crazy, the creative ferment of So HyunKyung's imagination just bottomless. I would have endured all manner of hard core makjang to the end for SHS alone, but what we have here,... a true masterpiece and a genre ground breaker in the making, I feel. Weekend family dramas will never be the same. Always over-delivers on our ever increasing expectation week by week. Just crazy, meetchuttso, this writer.

VG_Fl8.gif&key=d06e16d5e58f14a73de3bb71c

The story reminds me of Jianny's description here.

Episode 22 aka Finding JA

This subject may be exhausted at this stage but I think the reason why I am obsessed with who finds JA is because I want the story to go a particular way.

As mentioned by many, I want the dye master to find her and not because I think he can shield her from the Chois but the exact opposite.

I want him to find her and lead her directly to them. By them I meant Choi parents.

The dye master only knows her as an employee of Haesung group so the information that he found her (if he does) can only go to Choi parents or CDK.

I choose the former not because I have lost my mind but because I believe they will do nothing and watch her from afar. 

At this point, we are shown that the greatest suffering they can give the SEO parents is the loss of JA.

Now, as JA chose not to return to her parents when everything happened I believe this would be fitting and parrellel punishment.

'We know where your daughter is but we will not tell you.'

I find that more reasonable than wrecking havoc on the Seo boy's lives.

I actually think i should stop watching this drama

i love jian and jisoo,  both have their own flaws but lovely sisterhood. Right now the writer is ruining  Jian's strong personality to become a meek and Jisoo with her pure heart to a vengeful brat. I do pity both of them but now all the characters are detestable  The writer even ruined Jisoo and DK cute siblings bond before all this reveals 

I'm sorry if i offend anyone again cos this thread is really sensitive but after all these events i feel like i have more reasons not wanting JA to be with DK. The horror....

Archived