[Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생

meechuttso

@JaneP Stop putting your words in my mouth. I am tired of saying again and again that I understand Ji Soo's anger, frustration but not her disregard for the safety of her sister or the sister she knew for 25 years. I am not saying her pain isn't valid. In fact nobody in the drama did that. Both set of her parents are struggling to communicate. Let me tell you one thing, in Asian culture, her attitude towards both her parents are not normal or accepted, its considered highly disrespectful. It is because they understand her pain that she hasn't been called out on it. And, I find this particularly distasteful when people assume what other viewers will find annoying or irritating. Why would you assume how I would or anybody else would feel if Ji Soo took such a drastic step? 

The point here is simple, Ji Soo is filled with rage right now. I am sure when she regains her good sense, she'll be able to see things differently. My gripe with her is simple, no matter what happens, I find her casual disregard for her sister's well being disturbing. What is wrong is wrong? We might be able to explain or even justify her actions but the nature of the action remains the same. She has every right to be angry but indirectly demanding that  people stop looking for  Ji  An  or being worried about her as she  is  hurting  more isn't  right.  That is exactly  what  she  demands  right now.  I can't  support this mindset, this is  anger and resentment talking on their behalf.  Even people like the Choi's  were  worried  having  realized Ji An has  gone missing, were  they not victims here  as  well??  It  probably has  to  do  with the  level  of maturity.  That's  it. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nymeria289 I’m sorry when you felt like I was putting words your mouth, it was not my intention. 

I’m not Asian but I saw a person with the same behavior like Ji Soo burning and cutting herself, it is something I will never forget and taught me a lesson. Pain and depression have more than one face. 

As I said she does not need explanations and apologies. When she met here foster father at the pasta store she was concerned (“You cannot even eat”) and all she wanted to hear is: we know you are in pain and mad and it is okay. We are here for you. But what did he say? We love you, your biological parents are waiting for you.

It would have been enough to give her something to hold on to in that confusing time and given her the feeling that her pain is equally seen. 

53 minutes ago, JaneP said:

@Nymeria289 @angelwingssf

@cheekychipmunk_stv How is Ji Soo not compassionate when she is going to her sisters workplace because she has not eaten? When she is asking how her sister feels because the Choi-household gives her a hard time?

And Ji Soo is not manipulative, she does not even know how to spell that word.

What testifies that Ji Soo is not suicidal? I‘m not minimizing Ji An‘s trouble just that Ji Soo needs to be taken serious too. Her behavior can lead to suicide when they don‘t start to see her. Someone needs to tell her that her pain and feelings are legit, that they are there for her. No one has done that yet.

If Ji Soo goes missing, people here would call here selfish and annoying even through it is a natural reaction because she has no one to go to (one family betrayed her, the other does not want here as she is right now). 

For me it is frustrating because I have seen young people with such behavior and they self-harmed themselves, only then everyone started to listen. I hope Ji Soo is barred from that.

It is interesting how we talk about mental health but not taking Ji Soo unstableness serious. She is searching for help but no one is helping her.

Right?

she even helps the coffee shop ahjumma witthout being asked,  askig DK to let JA go to her brother wedding , etc

She  is in rage. I do think her slapping her sister is crossing the line big time  and i want her to regret that and apologize ....

I see this as sisters fights. JS  should stop misunderstanding her unnie as some kind of b**ch who lied and stole her position  because in reality  her unnie truly loves and sacrificed a lot for her while JA needs to sstop using her suffering to condemn JS.  She sacrificed her uni to stay with JS cos she loves her.. no one is forcing her to. She can go just like when she chose to go to the Choi at first 

Instead of bashing the girls... the parents are the one at faults here. Speaking of manipulative, when did JS ever manipulate anyone ever? ????????????? 

Also no one has asked whether  Jisoo is okay .... except for Hyuk? I believe if Jisoo went missing or commited suicide... people will be bashing her non stop. If she comes to the Choi family act ing like an obedient mouse, she will be called out too as cowardly and useless lmao 

In the preview she came to the Choi and rebel . She even said she will decide her own future and what did she get? People here  calling her rude and arrogant

oh the double standards...like i said she should just be a nice squirrel who got pushed around "yes unnie, yes appa, yes omma" , "i'm sorry" 

@JaneP  Its confusing  for everybody  involved....and frankly words  won't  reach her  for the  time being.  Her anger  needs to  lessen first. I hope  when  things  do quiet  down a bit,  she  can see clearly. She is hearing and seeing  but  not processing  them. Her  anger is  coping mechanism. I still  don't  like how she  treated Ji An, I hope Do Kyung will  be able  to make her  see things  clearly. And  maybe get  her to see a therapist. 

@Nymeria289 Her anger might lessen if someone takes the time to listen to her and gives her the feeling that she is understood, that is all she needs. Ji Soo just reacts because nobody makes an effort to understand or listen to her. They are just apologizing and explaining. Before she can see things more clearly, someone needs to take the time to see her clearly. 

As I said before a hug and saying that her pain is valid, that someone is there for her will take so much blow. Right now she feels alone even through she is sourounded by a lot of people.

That accounts for both sisters.

I hopped on the thread and wanted to see what everyone's take on ep 21 was as soon as I finished watching it.  WOW! This episode is full of what? Why? and Where? I'll admit, this went into a completely different direction than what I was predicting. Thanks again to all who have helped shed various insights to all the characters and scenes in this episode...many of you addressed the points that popped up for me as I was watching tonight. I'm sorry not to name you all as I had over 4 pages to back read and everyone's posts were becoming as addictive as the drama itself.:blink: you are all so fast. The writer just keeps adding more layers onto these characters without us getting any answers. It's like a house of cards, I don't know if this is the real personality, or real birth, or real character's intent or is it all a set up? Has revenge already started and we just haven't been told? Is JS perhaps bringing out her spoiled nature from when she was living with the Choi's as a little girl but it was all suppressed? After all, she received nothing but love from the Seo's. She was protected like she was the baby, yet Hyun Soo is the baby of the family.  I'm glad DK spoke up and pointed out that JS was obviously raised with lots of love. For DK to have to explain the obvious to his parents that JS will not want her parents (Seo's) hurt and for them not to believe him really puts them in need of a reality check. I mean DK seems more like the educating parent. Papa Choi being from a more humble upbringing should have accepted this reasoning. Perhaps this is also why the ratings keep going up...the excellent acting, story line, shameful stereotypes and shifts in direction of the characters. It's definitely fueling my curiosity of not just what will happen next or how will parts be revealed but now, it's how will the character behave? These character's behaviors has not been predictable. It's driving me crazy. :crazy::lol:

I like how I saw JS accuse papa Choi of losing her and how it was their fault too not just the Seo's in this whole menagerie. Way to go JS! That's how you bring the high and mighty down a few notches! Why did JA not question it when she went to the Choi house? Makes you feel that JS has more than flour in her brain.:D When Eun Seok was first found as a toddler...being from a rich family, shouldn't her clothes have been a give away? After all the Seo family was well off too for a time...shouldn't they know she wasn't dressed in low brand...she was dirty, but did the abductors change her clothes? I mean mom had her in matching expensive hair jewels...clothes should have been too? How could you call her abandoned when dressed well like that?

The writer sure is doing a job with adding more and more questions to these episodes without answering any of them. In addition, with pure Kdrama fashion, you have the typical, THEY DON'T SPEAK UP when they should explain. I found myself screaming at the screen, "Spit it out"! Kinda how JS was trying to get answers from JA. So I'm glad finally JS said in that moment during their talk after the slap for JA to speak up! UGH! 

I find there is a flaw that doesn't seem right...now, the cell phone is not foreign...the Seo family is pretty tight knit, how can Hyun Soo be left out with such important news re: JS/JA? He's not living in another country. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mdm No said not to let Seo Hyun know yet. Hmmmm and of course, why is there so little excitement and anticipation of meeting JS the real Eun Seok...instead mdm No seems like she is not really eager in meeting her unlike the way she was for JA? Is the excitement old news and she's exhausted from already doing it once? I know we get the flashback scenes for mdm No with her affection for JA...still, she has a real daughter who is alive. Attached to JA or not, your real daughter should bring forth anxiousness and heavy emotion. Instead when manager SGH gave a uh oh look and the Choi's acted like an unwanted guest has descended upon them. Again, maybe it was a mislead into the next episode. How will the writer get JS introduced to all the people who met and know JA? That's going to be interesting.  getting to episode 50 is going to move quickly.

I agree with some that I found it refreshing that JS took a change in her character. I thought she would be the bubbly wholesome "Heidi" bringing the Choi family to a warmer state. Instead we get a feisty "Why did you lose me and it is all your fault" attack instead. I also loved the two young spoiled sisters going at it a bit in the preview for ep 22...I hope there will be more of that as I think each are going to teach the other some good lessons.  They'll be begging for JA! Haha

5 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

Quote @angelwingssf I want to say my 2 cents about people committing suicide:

For people who are saying that SUICIDE is OK -  PLEASE DON"T ADVOCATE IT.  IT IS DEFINITELY NOT OK TO COMMIT SUICIDE irrespective of what ever problems there are.  There is a better way.  

I like to emphasize this, it's definitely NOT OK ! A selfish act, yes SELFISH. You may think you can end ALL your problems by dying. Think again, what's going to happen to all your love ones. They have to continue living & bear all the consequences & guilt feelings all the days of their lives. Do you still want to bring this upon them?

To say or associates this act as a 'unique experience', it's not only horrendous, but amount to murder.

1 hour ago, sscllccrazy said:

I hopped on the thread and wanted to see what everyone's take on ep 21 was as soon as I finished watching it.  WOW! This episode is full of what? Why? and Where? I'll admit, this went into a completely different direction than what I was predicting. Thanks again to all who have helped shed various insights to all the characters and scenes in this episode...many of you addressed the points that popped up for me as I was watching tonight. I'm sorry not to name you all as I had over 4 pages to back read and everyone's posts were becoming as addictive as the drama itself.:blink: you are all so fast. The writer just keeps adding more layers onto these characters without us getting any answers. It's like a house of cards, I don't know if this is the real personality, or real birth, or real character's intent or is it all a set up? Has revenge already started and we just haven't been told? Is JS perhaps bringing out her spoiled nature from when she was living with the Choi's as a little girl but it was all suppressed? After all, she received nothing but love from the Seo's. She was protected like she was the baby, yet Hyun Soo is the baby of the family.  I'm glad DK spoke up and pointed out that JS was obviously raised with lots of love. For DK to have to explain the obvious to his parents that JS will not want her parents (Seo's) hurt and for them not to believe him really puts them in need of a reality check. I mean DK seems more like the educating parent. Papa Choi being from a more humble upbringing should have accepted this reasoning. Perhaps this is also why the ratings keep going up...the excellent acting, story line, shameful stereotypes and shifts in direction of the characters. It's definitely fueling my curiosity of not just what will happen next or how will parts be revealed but now, it's how will the character behave? These character's behaviors has not been predictable. It's driving me crazy. :crazy::lol:

I like how I saw JS accuse papa Choi of losing her and how it was their fault too not just the Seo's in this whole menagerie. Way to go JS! That's how you bring the high and mighty down a few notches! Why did JA not question it when she went to the Choi house? Makes you feel that JS has more than flour in her brain.:D When Eun Seok was first found as a toddler...being from a rich family, shouldn't her clothes have been a give away? After all the Seo family was well off too for a time...shouldn't they know she wasn't dressed in low brand...she was dirty, but did the abductors change her clothes? I mean mom had her in matching expensive hair jewels...clothes should have been too? How could you call her abandoned when dressed well like that?

The writer sure is doing a job with adding more and more questions to these episodes without answering any of them. In addition, with pure Kdrama fashion, you have the typical, THEY DON'T SPEAK UP when they should explain. I found myself screaming at the screen, "Spit it out"! Kinda how JS was trying to get answers from JA. So I'm glad finally JS said in that moment during their talk after the slap for JA to speak up! UGH! 

I find there is a flaw that doesn't seem right...now, the cell phone is not foreign...the Seo family is pretty tight knit, how can Hyun Soo be left out with such important news re: JS/JA? He's not living in another country. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mdm No said not to let Seo Hyun know yet. Hmmmm and of course, why is there so little excitement and anticipation of meeting JS the real Eun Seok...instead mdm No seems like she is not really eager in meeting her unlike the way she was for JA? Is the excitement old news and she's exhausted from already doing it once? I know we get the flashback scenes for mdm No with her affection for JA...still, she has a real daughter who is alive. Attached to JA or not, your real daughter should bring forth anxiousness and heavy emotion. Instead when manager SGH gave a uh oh look and the Choi's acted like an unwanted guest has descended upon them. Again, maybe it was a mislead into the next episode. How will the writer get JS introduced to all the people who met and know JA? That's going to be interesting.  getting to episode 50 is going to move quickly.

I agree with some that I found it refreshing that JS took a change in her character. I thought she would be the bubbly wholesome "Heidi" bringing the Choi family to a warmer state. Instead we get a feisty "Why did you lose me and it is all your fault" attack instead. I also loved the two young spoiled sisters going at it a bit in the preview for ep 22...I hope there will be more of that as I think each are going to teach the other some good lessons.  They'll be begging for JA! Haha

Haha because JA is just too kind hearted  and used to being considerate  of everyone but herself 

but i'm still surprised at the fiesty Jisoo. I thought  she wouldn't be able to withstand he Choi family and cry but she is so fiesty!! She confronts everyone and spoke the truth... i thought this would be JA's role but it's the opposite.

Mama Choi is just manipulative and evil. She just wants a daughter that suits her...

i can't believe her reaction towards Jisoo tsk tsk tsk....  can't wait for Jisoo to shake the househould with her antics ...

Jian was so nice and giving to the rude  seohyun . She was pushed around in that house.... thi time round, we will see Jisoo vs Seohyun.Seems like Jisoo isn't taking anyone crap after all this mess

since the reality is that Eunsook was born earlier than Jian, maybe this time round Jisoo will be the unnie for Jian ^^

The last several eps have made me glad I continued with MGL when I was ready to pack it in earlier. Up to (perhaps it was) ep 10, I just couldn’t handle what looked like an overblown story with too much obvious manipulation; and if I had to listen to “DK-the-wind-up doll” say “noblesse oblige” one more time, I was going to hurl my laptop at someone or something.  (And I’m a PSH fan, lol.) I wasn’t the only person on the thread going “what is this mess?” each week back then.  Someone, perhaps Meechuttso, suggested that perhaps the writer was moving everything into position for an unfolding that would be interesting.  That seems the truth. 

A couple of eps ago, we saw that JA had told her father how low she was at one point and had thought of ending her life.  Thoughts like that can recirculate, and now her relationship with both families seems beyond fixing (Chois out of the question with a vengeance “you’ll never work in this town again,” and Seos too awful to feel okay about returning to. Then there’s this major guilt I don’t really “get,” but then JA is unstable and not thinking too clearly).

Oddly, I forgot all about JA’s old desperation and thinking of ending her life back then.  She’s such an earth-size “able to leap tall buildings with a single bound” type of person.  Happily, she’ll live, and we’ll celebrate her life as it unfolds so much better than before.

I can’t get too pushed or pulled in any direction right now, since the writer is having her way with us.  So, I’m going for the ride which has become very meaty.

I’ve been bored with the Ji-Tae character, but I was cheering at my laptop when he read his parents the riot act.  And doubly pleased when Ji-Soo did the same thing a bit later.  (Have to hand it to the actress who plays Mother Seo...she plays irredeemable characters, like in Bad Guy, and everyone wants to put her away...)

Looking forward to JA’s return, continuing saga with DK who is breaking out of his box, how Ji-Soo and Mom/Pop Choi characters evolve and the unraveling of mysteries surrounding child JS’s disappearance and gulf between Mom/Pop Choi. 

Go MGL!

Though I'm no fan of live recapping, especially not in dramas as subtle and complex as this one, I'd just like to warn those who are still sitting behind a dozen boxes of Kleenex afraid to press the play button in case more traumas await them, that the real danger they face if they actually watch what's going on at the opening of today's episode is cracking several ribs through laughing. And of course, Ji Su (who insists on being called that, not Eun Seok, in her new household, declares that she'll be late for work and dashes off for the bakery while all the family jaws hit the highly-polished floor.

I think Ji An having borrowed money from her 'mother' could not really dictate the terms of her stay now could she.

I'd like to see them throw away Ji Soo's stuff. That manager's face when she told Ji An I was just following orders.  Yeah right bet she enjoyed it.

I knew why I believe in you, hyuk. I was about why did he go on a date with jisoo then bam, go with taxi instead.

So happy he's the one who found her. Writer-nim, can we switch couple, please? I really want smart hyuk with smart jian.

The actor who play hyuk's great, I must say, him and jian's dad sadness over her missing got me so sad despite not understanding a word.

I think  it boils  down to personality. Ji Soo is carefree,  she  likes to live on her own term.  On the other  hand  Ji An likes structure, I think it is not a  coincidence that she likes wood artwork. She likes to create  structures and arts.  Hence,  Ji An thrived  in structure. Its about point of view and perspective.  Now, lets  see  if Choi household is  ready for their bohemian daughter.

2 minutes ago, rrongrrong said:

I knew why I believe in you, hyuk. I was about why did he go on a date with jisoo then bam, go with taxi instead.

So happy he's the one who found her. Writer-nim, can we switch couple, please? I really want smart hyuk with smart jian.

The actor who play hyuk's great, I must say, him and jian's dad sadness over her missing got me so sad despite not understanding a word.

Where is she and  how is Ji An?? and live streaming link anybody??

Ah yes, even the powerful identity concealment powers of country ajumma pants combined with country ajumma comprehensive face and neck sun-shielding measures cannot fool the eyes either of still-devoted first love or equally still-devoted younger sister.

But let's hope the freshly-dried squid don't start flying as missiles when Ji Su suffers her latest setback.

2 minutes ago, rrongrrong said:

6 minutes ago, rrongrrong said:

So happy he's the one who found her.

Wow, that is a surprise... never once I thought Hyuk will find JA....
And it's not like I'm complaining or anything. It's great, I mean as long as it's not DK lol... Seriously, DK doesnt deserve JA right now...

2 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

as i thought, shes in incheon area west coast, not east.

shes alive well and working as a day hand laborer near the water.

looking like a migrant ajumma covered up to protect from the sun.

tooka Hyuk to recognize her.

the 'backhug' sounding moment of ost 4 lyrics happened!

it was Hyuk,though, from behind!

1 minute ago, meechuttso said:

as i thought, shes in incheon area west coast, not east.

shes alive well and working as a day hand laborer near the water.

looking like a migrant ajumma covered up to protect from the sun.

tooka Hyuk to recognize her.

the 'backhug' sounding moment of ost 4 lyrics happened!

it was Hyuk,though, from behind!

would be grateful if I get to see her  Ahjumma look

Archived