[Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생

meechuttso

@nrlfan4ever applause for your thoughts, details and possibilities.   Perhaps it was intentional that Ji An's mom not find the wooden sculptures as it would create an opportunity for  Do Kyung to surreptitiously return these to Ji An. I see him walking into Ji An's room, looking around rather regretfully and then walking to the drawer nearest to her bed. He opens the drawer, withdraws the five sculptures and removes them to his room knowing that if found, his mother would have discarded them in a heartbeat.  To erase this monster of a mistaken identity, Madame No will surely have Ji An's room sterilized without leaving a trace of a reminder of the horrific mistake she had made. Hopefully this will kick her off  her high horse and give back some credibility and respect to  her husband. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, haymochi said:

All i get from this one particular gif is wow... these two actresses are so pretty!!!

i can't stop staring....

You are sooo right.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, a gif can stop a barrage of them? Instead of a verbal response, you had an artistic response rendering you speechless. So true. :innocent:

1 hour ago, cheremaman said:

@nrlfan4ever applause for your thoughts, details and possibilities.   Perhaps it was intentional that Ji An's mom not find the wooden sculptures as it would create an opportunity for  Do Kyung to surreptitiously return these to Ji An. I see him walking into Ji An's room, looking around rather regretfully and then walking to the drawer nearest to her bed. He opens the drawer, withdraws the five sculptures and removes them to his room knowing that if found, his mother would have discarded them in a heartbeat.  To erase this monster of a mistaken identity, Madame No will surely have Ji An's room sterilized without leaving a trace of a reminder of the horrific mistake she had made. Hopefully this will kick her off  her high horse and give back some credibility and respect to  her husband. 

You may be right, hope the writer put that in, to redeem himself for he knew those figurines are precious to her.

And also let JA go missing for 1, 2 episodes (tho it will be a torture for us). Let the two households panicked, especially DK, let him be miserable & worried sick as to JA's whereabouts & safety. It will serve him right for making JA so heartbroken & miserable too.

I saw the Chois & Seos families reactions/response to crisis are so different. One start attacking n blaming each other, the other are remorseful n apologized. I like JA n her father, she never said anything nor explained its not her fault. Her father too never once point a finger to the wife. Contrary the Chois couple are a vast different. They not only blame each other but above all they are prideful.

Now to JA n DK, I guess n some ways they are similar. Put aside personal feelings. First thing first is solve this families problems. DK tried to deny his attractions for her by acting stern with her (I especially like to watch his expressions, comical n funny at times) Concerned when heard she burnt her hand, rushing out to find her. Like when she was lost in the woods, when asked by JA whether he came specially to look for her, denied so. He has this haughty taughty manner, on some occasions when asked by JA to push the car, he asked 'Are you mad?' And to keep his voice low, 'why would I?' I laughed !

Oh, one more thing, I am glad when asked by Papa Choi, you pity JA he didn't answer with an affirmative 'yes' but 'I think so'. I don't know how correct is the translation.

BTW, I think she did not call Hyuk, otherwise he will definitely call back when he saw the missed call.

'My Golden Life' - Amazing Immersion - So Hyun-Kyung writer's gutsy creation
Familiar tropes, different application, "My Golden Life" Fountain of Youth***

1509941599_1.jpg

From http://www.entermedia.co.kr/news/news_view.html?idx=7232&bc=03&mc=02

Spoiler

1509941599_2.jpg

1509941599_3.jpg

1509941599_4.jpg

'My Golden Life' - Amazing Immersion - So Hyun-Kyung writer's gutsy creation
Familiar tropes**, different application, "My Golden Life" Fountain of Youth***

[**   코드 - writer uses the English word 'code', which best translates to 'trope' in drama context]

[*** 정력의 원천 would be like fountain of youth, but not sure if the writer uses 저력, 'low energy', by error or on purpose - could mean source of strength in potential weakness - read on please.]

Just what is it about KBS weekend drama 'My Golden Life' that keeps us all gazing at it so? The moment it was revealed that in fact Seo Ji-An (Shin HyeSun) is not the ChaeBol family's daughter, MGL recorded a 36% viewership rating (Nielsen Korea). With this breakneck fast pace and typhooon of reveals, there is talk that reaching viewership ratings of 40% is just a matter of time.

The surprising thing is that this being a 50-episode drama, we have barely crossed the 20th episode broadcast. Normally in dramas dealing with 'birth secret', revelation of such a secret happens as it nears the end, mostly. However in this drama that is not the end. No, rather, it's just the beginning. After revelation of such a birth secret, what kind of life will they live? The reason there's much anticipation about MGL is because there's much story telling the drama has yet to do, and in addition it's this sense we get that it will deliver beyond what we can anticipate.

Fact is, depending on the perspective, one could say that it's the obvious same story. A dirt-spoon swaps mask as a gold-spoon and gets a fake chance to reinvent herself, that premise signaling the impending disaster as that fact is uncovered. That the protagonist Seo Ji-An would suffer pain is a given, and the shock that the actual ChaeBol daughter Seo Ji-Soo (Seo EunSoo) will experience is also huge. In addition, the one who created this twisted situation, their mother Yang Mi-Jung (Kim HaeOk), the grief she will face, and their father Seo Tae-Soo (Chun HoJin) who found this out but was helpless to stop it, his remorse will also be significant.

The dramatic situation couldn't be more outrageous than this. And if they are not careful these can all seem like shock tactics that Makjang dramas employ. However, strangely, the vibe we get from MGL isn't like that. This isn't shock for the sake of shock value but rather, it is a plot device to give us a type of 'road to perdition' feel that shows us what a 'golden life' actually is. It's this feel of authenticity that the drama possesses which has the enormous strength to overcome the shock value.

'Daughter Swap' or 'Birth Secret', or even the Prince and Cinderella-like familiar tropes we easily find in this drama. Choi Do-Kyung (by Park SiHoo) who has surpassed feelings of sympathy and apology towards Seo Ji-An and now has feelings of love towards her, is in essence a modern prince; and of course Seo Ji-An having come to him as the younger sister who, as the birth secret is revealed, has expectations from him is a variation on Cinderella's character.

However, having brought these familiar tropes out, this drama is using them with a different approach. 'Birth secret' is not a trope used as a Cinderella fantasy for a dirt-spoon to change into a gold-spoon; instead, as dirt-spoon gains false identity and becomes a gold-spoon she is completely unable to become happy but instead shows that she can suffer a hellish misfortune; and even if not a gold-spoon, whether that dirt-spoon can on her own merit and abilities rise - it's for demonstrating these points that the trope is used.

Here, the Prince Choi Do-Kyung's role is not a fantasy figure who gives Cinderella Seo Ji-An what she can't have, but one who empathizes with her in the pain she experiences and who protects her as they move ahead. Therefore her feelings experienced through this Prince are not materialistic ambitions but instead a kind of warmth of human kindness and psycho-emotional sympathies.

If this is the case, how will Seo Ji-Soo, the real central character of the birth secret change? Thus far showing her angelic younger sister look, is she not the one who has lived trouble-free ('w/o wrinkles') though without possessions? But (now) mistakenly feeling that she was completely duped by her parents and sister, we don't know if she might reveal not the kind cinderella of the dramas with 'birth secret' tropes we have seen but a villainess instead.

Having all the familiar cliche tropes at the prelude was the biggest of weaknesses in "My Golden Life". Because those could overshadow the true intentions of the drama's story telling. However looking at the result thus far, the guts (뚝심, '배짱') with which writer So Hyun-Kyung has pushed ahead with her story, that has become the source of strength in weakness that this drama possesses. More importantly than the tropes themselves is the message one can convey by exploiting tropes with creativity - this is what the drama is demonstrating with authority.

Jeong Duk-Hyeon columnist - thekian1@entermedia.co.kr

--

@meechuttso comment. I've done my share of translations for dramas, couples and Shin HyeSun of course, but never have I had the kind of gleeful satisfaction doing this article translation. It's so chock-full of great observations and nuggets of deep insight that I hope it gives all the readers a pat on the back for spending time watching this drama and spending time here in this forum. Bravo, So Hyung-Kyung the writer and the entire MGL team! </gushing> B):glasses::phew::sweatingbullets::wub::love::heart::kiss_wink:

EDIT with help from Professor @baduy the byline is better put this way:

Well-worn tropes put to new uses:  MGL as a wellspring of energies from deep within.

yeayyy!!! I am so happy because it seems like our JA had listened to our advice to get as far as she can from both the Chois and the Seos.

I think she’s going to go to the Dyed Master and that’s the most logic way. With JA’s personality, burden her friends is not an option. Be back stronger, JA!!!

1 hour ago, elizabethcubas said:

Trans:

JS: As sister, i will just think off my family.

Seo Dad: That person suffer a lots.

Js: then how about me? Didn't I look suffering?

Choi Dad: I will bring back my daughter, after that you only discuss with her.

JH: I will become your bodyguard.

SY: No much of people like you that knowing my secret.

JH: How much you will pay me?

SY: How much should I give you?

Seo Dad: Jian still not yet come back home.

Choi Dad: she haven't back yet?

DK: did you know where Jian is?

JA: I cannot forgive myself.

That is my rough trans of the preview... why not much of DK and JA scene. :bawling: hope DK will be the first one find JA....

After watching make me hate more JS...

Ep 21 preview sub:

(SJA thinking of her sis SJS at a bus station?)
SJS:    Even you also didn't think of me as a sister, as family.

STS:    (Referring to SJA) Imagine how pitiful and pathetic she must feel.
SJS:    What about me? I am (My situation is) not at all tragic?

Choi dad:    Let's bring my daughter over first, then talk about your situation after that.

SJH:    (To sis CSH) Did the body guard ask for money ?
CSH:    You're the only one I can ask for help in secret.
SJH:    How much you going to give me?
CSH:    How much shall I give you?
SJH:    This is why you get blackmailed.

Baker:    SunWoo Hee!
SW-Hee:    Where do you get off, calling me SunWoo Hee?! Who are you addressing as SunWoo Hee?!!

STS:    Jianny has not yet returned
Choi dad:    Are you saying she hasn't come home?

CDK:    Do you know where Jianny is?

SJA:    As for me, I can't forgive myself.

On 09/11/2017 at 7:59 AM, meechuttso said:

not sure if the writer uses 저력, 'low energy', by error or on purpose

I don't think the in 底 in  底力 here carries the sense "low (level)" I'd say it was more like "(from) deep down", so it's "power/strength/energy/force coming from deep within."

27 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

I hope the trailer is misleading. Cause, Ji Soo is still comparing her situation and disregarding Ji An's feelings and situation. She is still in 'I, Me, My, I, Me' mode. And Ji An is in almost suicidal mode. How do feel for Ji Soo here??

JS is rarely in tough situation..maybe thats why she is like that. not defending her though lol

Ep 21 text preview

Ji An grows even more distressed at the thought that, thanks to her, even Ji Su of all people has been hurt.

Hearing from Mi Jeong that Myeong Hui said she would utterly crush the future of his family, Tae Su goes to see to see Jae Seong,  who says that once Tae Su has brought Ji Su to her rightful home, he will have to steel himself to take the punishment.

Ji Su hasn't returned home. Getting a sense that her family are concerned only about Ji An and don't care at all about her own plight, she gets more and more upset and ... [ANOTHER SILLY INCOMPLETE SENTENCE]

JA can't forgive herself is perhaps these reasons:

- if she didn't show her tough job situation to her mom, perhaps mom wouldn't have lied to Choi family

- if she didn't say all those nasty things to her dad STS, he would have told her not to go and why

- if she had told Daddy Choi & Mdm Noh immediately upon her discovery that she is not their real daughter, the situation wouldnt have turned out this bad

- if only she has asked her parents to own up to their mistakes

- if only she didn't wait, if only... if only ....

- she blames herself for causing her poor father STS to kneel down in the street like a begger ... dignity all stripped off

- she feels horrible & guilty towards JS each time she sees her, hence she always avoid her.  However she can't tell JS about the switch till all parents are notified and let the parents tell JS the truth. 

She feels ashamed and horrible for causing so many people so much hurt because of her.

JA is not the guilty one nor the root cause of this mess and pain, yet she took the biggest brunt of it. It is her mom who should feel guilty and ashamed ... all that JA is/went through this whole ordeal. I still feel her mom is not that apologetic nor feels guilty enough over this. She is still greedily count $$ and happy over the amount the restaurant is making for her. 

Like everyone else, I still think Manager Min is the one who sent the anonymous letter to Daddy Choi. I think she is secretly in love with him.The way she looks at himy at times is very odd.

9 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Like everyone else, I still think Manager Min is the one who sent the anonymous letter to Daddy Choi. I think she is secretly in love with him.The way she looks at himy at times is very odd.

heol...maybe her former bf? aigooo

ps.i shouldnt think about this drama too much TT not so me tsk tsk tsk.ok kids lets dinner!

9 hours ago, nrlfan4ever said:

There are deep-seated issues between Papa Choi and Mdme Noh, the disappearance of JS as a child was a very sore point between them and doing his own investigation seems more like getting back at Mdme Noh.

I'm beginning to suspect there's more to it than that. This writer doesn't do complications for the mere fun of it, and the process by which JA was (mis)identified as Eun Seok is complicated indeed, needlessly so, one might at first think. 

Central to the disastrous misidentification is that Myeong Hui acted on her own without giving her husband any inkling of what she was doing. She had toothbrushes from both sisters, and DNA results showing that one or the other of them was her child. Yet instead of establishing for sure which toothbrush belonged to which sister, she decided to bully Mi Jeong into telling her who the real Eun Seok was. Her explanation (to Jae Seong) that she couldn't bear to wait a second longer  and she could never imagine that Mi Seong would pull such a trick on her is distinctly fishy.  The woman is riddled from top to toe with class prejudice and regards everyone without loads of money as despicable. She is also constantly being lauded for her cool-headedness and thoroughness.  One might have thought that a deception of this kind was the first thing she'd expect from the lower orders such as Mi Seong, not the last, given the prize at stake.

What we also know, however, is that that selfsame ingrained snobbery had already predisposed Myeong Hui to think that Ji An was her daughter. She had graduated from a good College, worked for Haesung, and had a reputation for competence, industriousness, ambition  and determination.  Whereas Ji Su had merely trained at a vocational school, dropped out of the one job that training qualified her for, and was now cheerfully sweeping the floor at a corner bakery. Not to mention sporting soppy braids at the age of 28. It was plain to her where her "blood" resided. I think it was that bias that overcame Myeong Hui's habitual craftiness and led her to take Mi Seong's word without insisting on the obvious and easy next step, which she had named herself a moment earlier, namely summoning the two girls to provide unambigiously identified DNA samples on the spot.

But the really fishy thing to me is this. Let's suppose she'd told her husband that she had obtained the sisters' toothbrushes and was on the verge of proving that one of them was their lost Eun Seok. From the habitual brusque  "I'll handle this, you keep out of it" attitude of her husband, we can be sure  he would have grabbed the toothbrushes and got them tested himself. BUT BUT BUT, he would naturally have had them tested against his own DNA, not his wife's. Now supposing Myeong Hui couldn't afford to let that happen, because it would have shown that NEITHER Ji An NOR Ji Su was his daughter??  So it was vital that the decisive test was carried out against her DNA, not her husband's, and delaying for a further set of tests that Jae Seong might have taken a hand in would have revealed a terrible secret she' d been keeping for close on 30 years?

If we go back to that tantalizingly still fragmentary backstory about Eun Seok going missing. WHY was her hustband having her tailed that day , and WHY was she out alone with her daughter wearing expensive matching jewels and WHY did she panic at the thought that her movements and whereabouts might be being reported back to Jae Seong? Could she have been on a secret visit to Eun Seok's real father?  Or to his grave, maybe? Whatever, if we entertain the suspicion that Eun Seok may not be Jae Seong's child, but that he not only never knew it but was actually totally besotted with Eun Seok, never suspecting that the child wasn't his despite his doubts about his wife's conduct, then the coolness and distance between the couple seems to make a whole lot more sense...  And of course there would be even more massive complications lying ahead.

Archived