Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Oh thanks, i'm a bit lost here since so many spoilers (from the book)

I think they’re a little misleading with the trailers. Someone commented that the conversations that GTY and QH have in the trailers are not in the novel so it’s something new for the drama. It’ll be interesting because QH is protective of ML so I think part of their “fighting” over ML is more about GTY not being good enough. We’ll see when it gets to that part.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

 

Chang Bai whom I am very proud of. Big Mama may be hot tempered but she is a good mother. She raised her children well. CB and his beautiful bride went to bow to their parents for the first time. I laughed so hard when Big Mama tried to teach the new bride about how to run her household and CB answered his mother saying that they, as husband and wife will take care of their own household matters, in other words, "stay out of it, mom." Daddy Sheng and the new bride tried hard not to laugh. Then new bride looked at her husband giving a thank you smile and CB nodded back implying "no worries babe, I got your back covered."

 

Maybe QH should have CB as his role model. 

 

I wish we had more of CB i really like his character. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Finished 21 and 22: all I can say is Qi Heng needs to grow up, he is a child. He is a good person, handsome ,  earnest, fun and adorable and he is young and immature. Ming Lan is also infatuated, it is clear she developed feelings for QH. I feel empathy for Ming Lan most, first love broken heart. I also understand and totally agree with the Princess, QH's mother, but I disagree with her method of breaking the bethrothal request,  when she shamed the Sheng Family and hurt kind granny. She should have shamed her son, talk to him properly and told him the deal

 

QH: I will not ask any favor from you ever again, this is one last time..... hmmmm really?? when he is dependent on them and his ducal title?

 

Mom: you did not pass your exam because you were sighing at your books instead of studying them, you were polo playing, skirt chasing, no career and worse wanting to marry an orphan child of a concubine, with low family status, no money, what kind of family life are you trying to establish

 

QH: I will pass my exam, I will study, just help ask for the marriage bethrothal I promise I will pass

 

mom: did you not hear a thing I said? aren't you reversing priorities here? what if the political climate changes and the ducal title and wealth is gone, what then son... should you not have passed the exam first, establish career and then think of marriage... you gotta have something to offer sonny

 

OK, the princess did not really say all of that but I imagine that was the point. QH is all about the chase now. It is not even heart over mind or heart and mind but all about hormones/testosterone gone fierce. He is young, spoiled and seems not used to hearing the word no...and the reasons for it. It is all about him because if he were thinking maturedly, he would have asked himself the question, how can I be worthy of the woman I love, what can I Qi Heng, offer her and do to make her happy? But it is also the fault of the parents for making everything easy for him. Instead of Mom directly explaining why she can't help QH, she went to indirectly shame the Sheng family and hurt Ming Lan and the grandmother. QH was never taught patience and endurance it seems. 

 

What I enjoyed most ep 22:

Chang Bai whom I am very proud of. Big Mama may be hot tempered but she is a good mother. She raised her children well. CB and his beautiful bride went to bow to their parents for the first time. I laughed so hard when Big Mama tried to teach the new bride about how to run her household and CB answered his mother saying that they, as husband and wife will take care of their own household matters, in other words, "stay out of it, mom." Daddy Sheng and the new bride tried hard not to laugh. Then new bride looked at her husband giving a thank you smile and CB nodded back implying "no worries babe, I got your back covered."

 

Maybe QH should have CB as his role model. 

Good imagination :lol: QH really sucked with his timing but then he didn’t learn from his previous attempts at sucking up to his mom (or not very observant). His mom already knows his kissing up attempts so him using her birthday celebration as an opportunity to ask her to propose marriage was not a good idea. I think she was extra cruel because she accused him that he was only doing the nice things for her birthday as a pretense. Poor QH was really duped by his mother’s agreement. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 In regards to GTY, where are his wealth from his mother side? Thought he has some land and shops or something in his own name? DI'd his mistress sold it all off?

:blink:

 

Did his older brother eventually die in the book?

 

Did he get revenge on his step mom in the book?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Good imagination :lol: QH really sucked with his timing but then he didn’t learn from his previous attempts at sucking up to his mom (or not very observant). His mom already knows his kissing up attempts so him using her birthday celebration as an opportunity to ask her to propose marriage was not a good idea. I think she was extra cruel because she accused him that he was only doing the nice things for her birthday as a pretense. Poor QH was really duped by his mother’s agreement. 

Well QH has no self awareness and not very observant as you said, because if he did, he would have known not to ask his mother for help and his mom got a point. (wanna get married with what?). He got what he asked for whether he liked how it was delivered or not as in being duped. I am more concerned about the other people who were affected by the inconsiderate actions of his mother. She wanted to teach her son a lesson but she did not have to use and hurt other people just to make a point with her son. I hope this will be a turning point for QH to turn inward and ask himself how he can get what he wants with consideration, fair and square, honorably and deservedly.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zenya22

Yeah, I think how he chose to ask this of his parents was completely wrong. He also made a mistake by telling Minglan that his family was going to propose and just creating situations that put Minglan at risk when he couldnt defend her. 

 

ChangBai is the best <3

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zenya22 :lol: Honestly, QYH attitude is exactly what his mother wants.... There is such a thing as parents not wanting their kids to be independent from them. His way of trying to persuade her in her eyes was better than GTY unruly nature. She was waiting to take the matters in her own hand to make the clear break for them and the time came. Though her method will cause a little mistrust to her son she needed to do it where there are witness and the two of them. This is why being direct is not something they do. They have to have an alternate meaning. When his mom talked about CB wedding she was clever in making him think that she agreed but it was only to visit the party so it was his fault for misunderstanding and can’t blame his mother later on. 

If I were Minglan I can’t imagine how awkward and humiliated I would be in that situation knowing also my trusted maid and granny is watching. I probably would’ve shed tears right there for making a fool of myself believing the impossible when I was the one who kept telling QYH to give up... 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Honestly, QYH attitude is exactly what his mother wants.... There is such a thing as parents not wanting their kids to be independent from them. His way of trying to persuade her in her eyes was better than GTY unruly nature. 

She was waiting to take the matters in her own hand to make the clear break for them and the time came. Though her method will cause a little mistrust to her son she needed to do it where there are witness and the two of them. This is why being direct is not something they do. They have to have an alternate meaning. When his mom talked about CB wedding she was clever in making him think that she agreed but it was only to visit the party so it was his fault for misunderstanding and can’t blame his mother later on. 

If I were Minglan I can’t imagine how awkward and humiliated I would be in that situation knowing also my trusted maid and granny is watching. I probably would’ve shed tears right there for making a fool of myself believing the impossible when I was the one who kept telling QYH to give up... 

So, that is mama, controlling. I am not talking about unruly. I am talking about being mature, honorable and unselfish as in thinking about and being considerate of the woman you love and as a person in general. If that is what the princess wants, a sissy son, then poor woman whomever her son marries and poor QH because ML who is already mature and responsible would have left him in the dust and married someone else more deserving. I like QH a lot, he is a beautiful person, but he needs to break from his mother's control one way or the other and grow up. Study, pass the exam, concentrate on his career, go to the army or do whatever he wants and needs to do to be his own man. Can't be a mama's boy forever. Claim his independence .... boy 

  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

@zenya22 :lol: Honestly, QYH attitude is exactly what his mother wants.... There is such a thing as parents not wanting their kids to be independent from them. His way of trying to persuade her in her eyes was better than GTY unruly nature. She was waiting to take the matters in her own hand to make the clear break for them and the time came. Though her method will cause a little mistrust to her son she needed to do it where there are witness and the two of them. This is why being direct is not something they do. They have to have an alternate meaning. When his mom talked about CB wedding she was clever in making him think that she agreed but it was only to visit the party so it was his fault for misunderstanding and can’t blame his mother later on. 

If I were Minglan I can’t imagine how awkward and humiliated I would be in that situation knowing also my trusted maid and granny is watching. I probably would’ve shed tears right there for making a fool of myself believing the impossible when I was the one who kept telling QYH to give up... 

 

I mean its clever until he finds out and hates you lmfao and he will still blame his mum for tricking him which she did. 

 

 

16 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Anyone know if In the end grandma was proud and happy for ML’s marriage? Did grandma come to accept GTY? 

 

I dont think she was happy at the start i mean neither was ML when you look at GTY past. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

So, that is mama, controlling. I am not talking about unruly. I am talking about being mature, honorable and unselfish as in thinking about and being considerate of the woman you love and as a person in general. If that is what the princess wants, a sissy son, then poor woman whomever her son marries and poor QH because ML who is already mature and responsible would have left him in the dust and married someone else more deserving. I like QH a lot, he is a beautiful person, but he needs to break from his mother's control one way or the other and grow up. Study, pass the exam, concentrate on his career, go to the army or do whatever he wants and needs to do to be his own man. Can't be a mama's boy forever. Claim his independence .... boy 

I made the example of GTY like his mother did because the way he tried to persuade him was his only option. His mom seems to wear the pants in the house and he can only be but a mamas boy. Even though his dad was trying to meditate the situation. It’s clear the mom has final say who he will marry... Even if he did matured and redeemed himself worthy he would just be even more in demand to the other high rank daughters. Either way his mother still wouldn’t choose Minglan that is why he wager on passing the exam in exchange to have her wed first but that was futile. Also the acceptance of marriage from the family is important even if he breaks free from the control of his mother he still needs to receive his parents blessings. That’s why it’s so complicated. 

But like you said he is still immature but sadly even though he followed suit to his moms liking he still held her in his heart. 

QYH is the pretty boy type I laughed the thought of him going in army. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean its clever until he finds out and hates you lmfao and he will still blame his mum for tricking him which she did. 

 

 

 

I dont think she was happy at the start i mean neither was ML when you look at GTY past. 

But he didn’t. He is a sweet child and can’t take it to heart to blame his mother. He knows his parents wants the best for the whole family... That’s why when he apologized to Minglan he said he didn’t want to talk badly of his mom but blamed himself. :cookie:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

 In regards to GTY, where are his wealth from his mother side? Thought he has some land and shops or something in his own name? DI'd his mistress sold it all off?

:blink:

 

Did his older brother eventually die in the book?

 

Did he get revenge on his step mom in the book?

I wanna know about older brother and step mom as well.

 

7 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

 

But he didn’t. He is a sweet child and can’t take it to heart to blame his mother. He knows his parents wants the best for the whole family... That’s why when he apologized to Minglan he said he didn’t want to talk badly of his mom but blamed himself. :cookie:

Spoiler

Actually he keeps him self in the room for like 5 month's and barely eat's so he does blame his mother. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

 In regards to GTY, where are his wealth from his mother side? Thought he has some land and shops or something in his own name? DI'd his mistress sold it all off?

:blink:

 

Did his older brother eventually die in the book?

 

Did he get revenge on his step mom in the book?

Spoiler

 

From the spoilers I read, GTY was going to let the Gu family name be destroyed as revenge (the Gu family was going to be labeled as traitors or something) but his brother gives him a copy of the father’s will and changes GTY’s mind about ruining the family name, convince him cause of history of military family service and how GTY got to his status...He dies later so GTY inherits the Marquis title. 

It seems GTY slowly plots revenge on the Gu family in calculating ways. Didn’t see all the details but I’m imagining it’ll be clever like what ML did with the spy maids but much crueler. Stepmom eventually gets her karma.

 

if someone has the details, I would like know it too.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I made the example of GTY like his mother did because the way he tried to persuade him was his only option. His mom seems to wear the pants in the house and he can only be but a mamas boy. Even though his dad was trying to meditate the situation. It’s clear the mom has final say who he will marry... Even if he did matured and redeemed himself worthy he would just be even more in demand to the other high rank daughters. Either way his mother still wouldn’t choose Minglan that is why he wager on passing the exam in exchange to have her wed first but that was futile. Also the acceptance of marriage from the family is important even if he breaks free from the control of his mother he still needs to receive his parents blessings. That’s why it’s so complicated. 

But like you said he is still immature but sadly even though he followed suit to his moms liking he still held her in his heart. 

QYH is the pretty boy type I laughed the thought of him going in army. :lol: 

 

Then it is much more important for him to not have a pants wearing contest with his mother. He thinks that going through his mother is his only option. Maturity would have given him self awareness, patience and forbearance as well as intelligence to know that there are other more feasible choices and still get his family involved. Like I said, maybe a heartbreak will help him to mature and whether he marries ML or not he would have learned self responsibility. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the episode in subs gives me a better understanding of what's going on. I'm waiting for sub on ep 23 & 24. Can't understand the battle part where GTY lead the soldiers and took over the enemy I think. Not sure the general who came out is good or bad. 

 

So he joined the army as an ordinary man hiding his title.

Did he ever meet the 2 general whom he rescued again?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Then it is much more important for him to not have a pants wearing contest with his mother. He thinks that going through his mother is his only option. Maturity would have given him self awareness, patience and forbearance as well as intelligence to know that there are other more feasible choices and still get his family involved. Like I said, maybe a heartbreak will help him to mature and whether he marries ML or not he would have learned self responsibility. 

Other more feasible choices, as in marriageable choices? :lol: GTY was able to scheme to marry Minglan we know his character can have the audacity to do so but even if QYH acquires that maturity it’ll be out of character of him to start plotting against his mother unless this some twist in novel and he becomes evil. He’s already at age of marriage and his mother will be pushing for it. Minglan can’t wait forever. All he can do is give up and mature that way until there was a chance again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Other more feasible choices, as in marriageable choices? :lol: GTY was able to scheme to marry Minglan we know his character can have the audacity to do so but even if QYH acquires that maturity it’ll be out of character of him to start plotting against his mother unless this some twist in novel and he becomes evil. He’s already at age of marriage and his mother will be pushing for it. Minglan can’t wait forever. All he can do is give up and mature that way until there was a chance again.

I never said plotting, that would still be immature. GTY is GTY, QH is QH I am not even comparing them. I am only talking about QH. Feasible choice: as you said here is give up and mature until there was a chance. Exactly. That is what I mean. 

  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only it were the other way around. Minglan is the man trying to gain merits so he can ask QYH for her hand in marriage. Sadly, this is not fantasy wuxia that likes making a impossible love possible. :unsure:

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

I dont think she was happy at the start i mean neither was ML when you look at GTY past. 

That was the novel yeah? Cuz from trailers it seemed like ML was happy with the marriage? 

There were a few scenes, which I assumed is before marriage (because she seems to have a diff hairstyle after marriage) that they seem to have mutual feelings? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...