[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Spoiler

someone please translate what GTY's daughter said to ML? She said that her dad was the one who saved ML but what else? 

Anyone have any idea why GTY is going by his nickname when saving the Generals? Anyone who knows more of what happens next want to enlighten us what happens next? 

Spoiler

Did everyone survive the bandits? How does ML return to Grandma after all this had occurred? 

Second to that... 

GTY's son was taken away by his mother. When will he return? Will he be bad? 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

someone please translate what GTY's daughter said to ML? She said that her dad was the one who saved ML but what else? 

Reveal hidden contents

Did everyone survive the bandits? How does ML return to Grandma after all this had occurred? 

Second to that... 

GTY's son was taken away by his mother. When will he return? Will he be bad? 

I haven't watched these last episodes so I can help just a little because I don't know if they changed other things from the novel.

Spoiler

According to the novel, the son will be back with Man niang. However he will side with his mother and he will be again exiled with his mother.  He is a sick and frail child. The daughter will side with ML.

14 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When QH told his mother his intention to marry minglan, he actually signed a death warrant for minglan. The grandma understood the precarious situation of minglan and took minglan away. QH didn't understand his mom. How cruel she can be in protecting her family status and nobility. Poor QH. 

Minglan alr said to QH earlier b4 his feeling runs deep tht he will bring trouble to her yet he is still stubborn, never listen nor think wisely, still dreaming in his own world try to pursue the impossible love, in the end only hurt them more.

Another thing i cant understand QH, at his age he is still blind didnt recognised his own mother well, her behavior in dealing things where she priortise high status & nobility first rather than love even tho to his own son.

As alwys its very rare to find 1st love that will end in marriage.

006FsDz9ly1fyd5e8yjqgj32jv19yu10-1.jpg?r

[ONLINE RATINGS] WEEK 1, 2019

Here are the online ratings for Week 1, December 31 – January 6 (views in million):
1 The Story of Ming Lan 1260
2 Like a Flowing River 872

3 The Lady in Cubicle 367
4 Mystery of Antiques 297
5 Ever Night 222
6 The Demon Master 221

7 The King of Blaze 2 214
8 Love in Nanking 185
9 About Is Love 139
10 The King of Blaze 137

Source: Xunyee

And here are the ratings for each day (views in million):

Monday 2018-12-31

1 The Story of Ming Lan 130
2 Like a Flowing River 117

3 The Demon Master 42
4 Ever Night 36
5 Love in Nanking 34

6 About Is Love 29
7 Mystery of Antiques 25

8 The King of Blaze 20
9 Our Glamorous Time 17
10 The Lady in Cubicle 16

Tuesday 2019-01-01

1 The Story of Ming Lan 126
2 Like a Flowing River 114

3 Love in Nanking 36
4 Ever Night 32
5 About Is Love 32
6 The Demon Master 29

7 The Lady in Cubicle 29
8 Mystery of Antiques 25
9 The King of Blaze 23

10 Flipped 22

Wednesday 2019-01-02

1 The Story of Ming Lan 171
2 Like a Flowing River 137

3 The Lady in Cubicle 58
4 Mystery of Antiques 42
5 Love in Nanking 35
6 Ever Night 29
7 About Is Love 29
8 The Demon Master 19

9 The Learning Curve of a Warlord 18
10 The Great River 17

Thursday 2019-01-03

1 The Story of Ming Lan 186
2 Like a Flowing River 135

3 The Lady in Cubicle 79
4 Mystery of Antiques 66
5 Ever Night 33
6 The King of Blaze 2 32
7 The King of Blaze 31
8 Love in Nanking 24
9 About Is Love 20

10 The Great River 19

Friday 2019-01-04

1 The Story of Ming Lan 206
2 Like a Flowing River 141

3 The Lady in Cubicle 71
4 Mystery of Antiques 52
5 The King of Blaze 2 42
6 Ever Night 37
7 The Demon Master 27
8 The King of Blaze 25
9 Love in Nanking 21
10 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 20

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Story of Ming Lan 226
2 Like a Flowing River 129

3 The Lady in Cubicle 52
4 Mystery of Antiques 45
5 The Demon Master 41
6 Ever Night 33
7 The King of Blaze 2 30
8 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 23
9 The Great River 20
10 The King of Blaze 19

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan 215
2 Like a Flowing River 99

3 The King of Blaze 2 62
4 The Lady in Cubicle 62
5 The Demon Master 47
6 Mystery of Antiques 41
7 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 24
8 Ever Night 22
9 The Great River 21
10 Love in Nanking 17

Source: VLinkage

6 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:
006FsDz9ly1fyd5e8yjqgj32jv19yu10-1.jpg?r

[ONLINE RATINGS] WEEK 1, 2019

Here are the online ratings for Week 1, December 31 – January 6 (views in million):
1 The Story of Ming Lan 1260
2 Like a Flowing River 872

3 The Lady in Cubicle 367
4 Mystery of Antiques 297
5 Ever Night 222
6 The Demon Master 221

7 The King of Blaze 2 214
8 Love in Nanking 185
9 About Is Love 139
10 The King of Blaze 137

Source: Xunyee

And here are the ratings for each day (views in million):

Monday 2018-12-31

1 The Story of Ming Lan 130
2 Like a Flowing River 117

3 The Demon Master 42
4 Ever Night 36
5 Love in Nanking 34

6 About Is Love 29
7 Mystery of Antiques 25

8 The King of Blaze 20
9 Our Glamorous Time 17
10 The Lady in Cubicle 16

Tuesday 2019-01-01

1 The Story of Ming Lan 126
2 Like a Flowing River 114

3 Love in Nanking 36
4 Ever Night 32
5 About Is Love 32
6 The Demon Master 29

7 The Lady in Cubicle 29
8 Mystery of Antiques 25
9 The King of Blaze 23

10 Flipped 22

Wednesday 2019-01-02

1 The Story of Ming Lan 171
2 Like a Flowing River 137

3 The Lady in Cubicle 58
4 Mystery of Antiques 42
5 Love in Nanking 35
6 Ever Night 29
7 About Is Love 29
8 The Demon Master 19

9 The Learning Curve of a Warlord 18
10 The Great River 17

Thursday 2019-01-03

1 The Story of Ming Lan 186
2 Like a Flowing River 135

3 The Lady in Cubicle 79
4 Mystery of Antiques 66
5 Ever Night 33
6 The King of Blaze 2 32
7 The King of Blaze 31
8 Love in Nanking 24
9 About Is Love 20

10 The Great River 19

Friday 2019-01-04

1 The Story of Ming Lan 206
2 Like a Flowing River 141

3 The Lady in Cubicle 71
4 Mystery of Antiques 52
5 The King of Blaze 2 42
6 Ever Night 37
7 The Demon Master 27
8 The King of Blaze 25
9 Love in Nanking 21
10 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 20

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Story of Ming Lan 226
2 Like a Flowing River 129

3 The Lady in Cubicle 52
4 Mystery of Antiques 45
5 The Demon Master 41
6 Ever Night 33
7 The King of Blaze 2 30
8 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 23
9 The Great River 20
10 The King of Blaze 19

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan 215
2 Like a Flowing River 99

3 The King of Blaze 2 62
4 The Lady in Cubicle 62
5 The Demon Master 47
6 Mystery of Antiques 41
7 The Old Lady’s House of Dumplings 24
8 Ever Night 22
9 The Great River 21
10 Love in Nanking 17

Source: VLinkage

Well look at that!! I thought LAFR is too strong.. but never again shall I doubt Yingbao’s power (ofc also the fact that the drama is actually good)

34 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Well look at that!! I thought LAFR is too strong.. but never again shall I doubt Yingbao’s power (ofc also the fact that the drama is actually good)

Yingbao's dramas have a strong hold on online ratings.. Her shows always gets placed at 1 position when it's aired!! Hoping that this drama would take over in ratings side too!! 

4 hours ago, fra8 said:

I agree and this is why I don't feel very much for him despite being a nice guy. It's not even his fault because he is too sheltered and pampered. But I prefer people that get the situations and try to act according to them. He doesnt devise a plan. He doesnt imagine their future. He puts her in a difficult situation witout even trying to understand her. Sometimes I feel he idolizes her and likes her, even because she isnt' at his feet.

This is exactly why i feel sorry for him hes sheltered and pampered and does not really know what to do , he think's he doesnt need a plan because his mum will let it just happen.

Hes naive but i still have pity for him.

3 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

When QH told his mother his intention to marry minglan, he actually signed a death warrant for minglan. The grandma understood the precarious situation of minglan and took minglan away. QH didn't understand his mom. How cruel she can be in protecting her family status and nobility. Poor QH. 

This is exactly why i feel for him alot its Fuheng all over again

2 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

Personally, I do not judge QH so hard. He honestly believed he could overcome his mother's objections. His plan was simple: ask for marriage the usual way. Who hasn't had a first/young love like that? Where you believe everything & anything is possible because your heart says so? ML & GTY has faced adversities since their youth, so being more pragmatic (ML) and cunning (GTY) is understandable. 

Exactly GTY and ML know the tough reality but QH simply does not. 

2 hours ago, minoku2209 said:

Minglan alr said to QH earlier b4 his feeling runs deep tht he will bring trouble to her yet he is still stubborn, never listen nor think wisely, still dreaming in his own world try to pursue the impossible love, in the end only hurt them more.

Another thing i cant understand QH, at his age he is still blind didnt recognised his own mother well, her behavior in dealing things where she priortise high status & nobility first rather than love even tho to his own son.

As alwys its very rare to find 1st love that will end in marriage.

You need to put your self in his shoes if you are so sheltered and never gone through any trouble or denied anything , your mother is "loving" why would you think differently? Its Young Blind Love at first sight where you think everything will go the way you want. 

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:
  Hide contents

In the book after his first wife dies, QH pushes for ML again. Dunno if that will happen in the drama?

It most likely will i dont see him simply giving up. 

1 hour ago, icyphoenix said:

Yingbao's dramas have a strong hold on online ratings.. Her shows always gets placed at 1 position when it's aired!! Hoping that this drama would take over in ratings side too!! 

1 Like a Flowing River (BTV) 1.361
2 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.981
3 Like a Flowing River (Dragon TV) 0.95
4 The Great River (JSTV) 0.887
5 The King of Blaze 2 (Hunan TV) 0.75
6 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.636
7 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.451
8 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.306
9 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.299
10 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.272

Friday 2019-01-04

1 Like a Flowing River (BTV) 1.38
2 Like a Flowing River (Dragon TV) 0.956
3 The Great River (JSTV) 0.857
4 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.728
5 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.599
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.487
7 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.369
8 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.327
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.294
10 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.279

Saturday 2019-01-05

1 The Great River (JSTV) 0.818
2 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.805
3 Behind the Scenes (BTV) 0.712
4 Behind the Scenes (Dragon TV) 0.702
5 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.662
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.44
7 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.341
8 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.322
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.31
10 Forty Years We Walked (Guangdong TV) 0.273

Sunday 2019-01-06

1 The Story of Ming Lan (Hunan TV) 0.995
2 The Great River (JSTV) 0.901
3 The Lady in Cubicle (ZJSTV) 0.755
4 Behind the Scenes (Dragon TV) 0.647
5 Behind the Scenes (BTV) 0.506
6 Our Youth (Shandong TV) 0.487
7 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.331
8 Our Glamorous Time (SZTV) 0.309
9 Forty Years We Walked (HLJTV) 0.304
10 The Story of Xijing (Anhui TV) 0.303

Im not sure why those 4th/5th days were so low, does like a river not air on Sunday/Saturday's. 

49 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

I saw that the drama has over 2 billion views without counting iQYI which doesnt report anymore

http://www.xunyee.cn/rank-teleplay-play-3.html

Pretty good so should end with 10 billion which would not be bad. 

Shows cant get over 20 billion now day's it seems due to iQYI not counting, maybe 10 miles of peach blossoms season two can get it. 

All caught up with yesterdays and todays epis....

All I have to say about QH is..... Granny was absolutely right. If you lead too good a life you end up being blind and deaf. This apparently applies to guys too. I was shaking my head all through the scene when he was buttering up his mom. I could also see his mom's disappointment when she realized why he was being so loving. You don't bribe your mother for stuff like that..you ask sincerely. The buttering up may have actually made her more angry. He not only put ML but her granny in a very humiliating situation. Even though nothing was said....Granny was made to feel shame.....look at her reaction when ML told her they were coming . This ignorant boy had put this family under a situation which if know outside would ruin ML's name and her families reputation too. 

But what I'm even more upset about is ML is still not giving him the cut clearly. He still has hopes....I was hoping she'd break clear by now....but her behavior is actually leading him on when there's no hope at all....and thats just cruel.

And about GTY.....did he fall already for ML. He listened to her talk for a while and is now going to join the army. 

1 hour ago, dito said:

All caught up with yesterdays and todays epis....

All I have to say about QH is..... Granny was absolutely right. If you lead too good a life you end up being blind and deaf. This apparently applies to guys too. I was shaking my head all through the scene when he was buttering up his mom. I could also see his mom's disappointment when she realized why he was being so loving. You don't bribe your mother for stuff like that..you ask sincerely. The buttering up may have actually made her more angry. He not only put ML but her granny in a very humiliating situation. Even though nothing was said....Granny was made to feel shame.....look at her reaction when ML told her they were coming . This ignorant boy had put this family under a situation which if know outside would ruin ML's name and her families reputation too. 

But what I'm even more upset about is ML is still not giving him the cut clearly. He still has hopes....I was hoping she'd break clear by now....but her behavior is actually leading him on when there's no hope at all....and thats just cruel.

And about GTY.....did he fall already for ML. He listened to her talk for a while and is now going to join the army. 

I sympathize with QH because of the way he was raised so he was really hurt by his mom’s manipulations.

Spoiler

He looked like he was going to cry when he placed the pearls in ML’s hand.

. I’m hoping that he’ll have some character growth and awakening because if he doesn’t learn from all this about the societal and political implications of his marriage and what it all means to ML and her family’s well being, it will become an obsessive love and he will never find happiness. And, yes, ML has some fault in it because he’s the type that needs a direct rejection, no feelings spared. After the first couple of times saying “no it’s not possible” in a round about way, she should have been more direct. But, I guess these are the lessons of first love and it’s what makes it a drama. 

Spoiler

Were the bandits just a random group or sent by someone specifically to kill them. I was trying to figure it out from the raw episode where the bandits were talking to the maids before killing them but couldn’t fully grasp it with the subs.

@ForgottenSoulx I wouldn't disagree that he's sheltered. But part of me felt that he's simply too arrogant. The arrogance to believe that he could have anything. 

He has seen, and in fact, shown that he understood that ML is in awkward position with the Sheng Family, which is why he did say that she simply couldn't speak up within the family. 

He also acknowledged that ML is a clever cookie. So when the clever cookie said that there's too big a hurdle and it's too high a mountain to climb, should he not at least figure out what she meant? 

Also didn't GTY told him that he's too idealistic? 

If he had only listened to what others have been trying to tell him. 

And I don't necessarily agree that he doesn't know how his mom's operates. 

Everyone could see how everyone is really precarious around the mom, and that includes himself. 

We have seen both ML and GTY growing up too quickly, stripped off the luxury of having a problem free childhood. Perhaps it's time for QH to grow up too...

I respect his feelings for ML, but I disagree with his ways of handling the whole situation...unfortunately. 

Where are you guys watching the episodes in advance because viki is only up to episode 18? Unless it is raw from yt. 

Im kind of disappointed viki uploads the drama in poor video quality despite being a viki pass. >_< There is a subbed version on yt but it’s slower than viki but it’s in 1080hd so you can really see the beauty of the film. 

27 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Where are you guys watching the episodes in advance because viki is only up to episode 18? Unless it is raw from yt. 

Im kind of disappointed viki uploads the drama in poor video quality despite being a viki pass. >_< There is a subbed version on yt but it’s slower than viki but it’s in 1080hd so you can really see the beauty of the film. 

I watch raw on YouTube and the subbed versions on Viki. Viki has up to Ep20 uploaded and Ep19 is already at 90% subbed. They’ve been pretty fast on the subbing on Viki, same day as they receive it. But I think I read in the comments that they get access very late at night on the day it airs so it seems like it’s a day behind the raw on YouTube. It looks like the one I’ve been watching on YouTube is the official YouTube channel for that TV station or has been authorized by them since it’s uploaded a few hours after it airs. I can’t read Chinese so don’t know for sure. Like a FlowingRiver is also on there.  There’s two versions of Minglan, one that is the same as the one on Viki that is available first and then later in the day, the other version (segmented at different point in the drama) is available.

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Pretty good so should end with 10 billion which would not be bad. 

Shows cant get over 20 billion now day's it seems due to iQYI not counting, maybe 10 miles of peach blossoms season two can get it. 

Its bc they changed how they count views so now it is harder for everyone to get that much. I think Yanxi has the highest views this year probably close to 20 billions all on iqiyi.

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

You need to put your self in his shoes if you are so sheltered and never gone through any trouble or denied anything , your mother is "loving" why would you think differently? Its Young Blind Love at first sight where you think everything will go the way you want.

No doubt his mom loves him so much & wanted everything the best for him including a perfect wife yet she is very cunning, very strict & must never offend nor cross her line or else u know wht she can do. Even his father is powerless when his mom makes any decision.

Totally agree with u, young 1st love is blind. 

His mom is indeed very cunning and very strict. But it is also a lack of communication on their part because they believe to be a filial child you need to do everything your parents tell you. I wonder if his mom ever thought throughtout the years with all the political marriage if he was ever truly happy. It’s not just first love on his part he is a fool in love because even if he said he let her go he is still keeping her in his heart and still in his old age even though she has already found her love and happiness... Since she never reciprocate his feelings it’s as if he was in love with love itself... That’s why it reminded me of yanxi palace when Wei yinglou moved on from fuheng even if the audience believe she still had him in her heart I feel that we are seeing from fuheng point of view that’s why we feel like there is hope when it’s very clear where Wei yinglou stand and who she really has in her heart. It’s the same as Minglan I still believe she feels emphatic towards yuanrou and at scene when granny reminded her not to do anything when he send gifts to the house she already knew and felt ashamed that he grandma had to point out what she already knows.  

Also if I put my shoes in qh I would think that Minglan is playing hard to get. But when I put my shoes in Minglan I believe I have a little attraction towards the first man who showed interest in me but since my heart and brain is connected even if I am confused each time I’m near him I cannot indulge in superficialities.

I dont think QH would work as a romantic interest. He is just too out of touch with her status. He continuously disregards what she tells him of how dangerous it is. I dont believe she is leading him on bc the reality is pretty clear, he just refuses to accept it and he only causes more trouble for her. He could have been her ruin in so many occasions, but the story was written this way. While he is a good person, he is unrealistic. I feel like his character is the idea of that first love that you never got to know that much so you held them in high regard. I think that works both ways for this relationship both for Minglan and QH. He doesnt really know her and he has an impression of who she is that doesnt necessarily match her and maybe Minglan never really knows him and since the book is written from her perspective we just see the impression that she had of him. 

I do feel bad for him bc his hands are tied but at the same time some of his actions are frustrating.

Archived