[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

She's very manipulative. And that was due to her intelligence (U need to be intelligent enough) but more so due to what happened. She lost her innocence long ago. When she witnessed that her mom who lived her live quietly, who wanted nothing, lost her life just like that. 

And while many chingus commented that CL and Molan would get the same ending regardless of whether ML orchestrated the whole thing, which I don't necessarily disagree due to their greed, there's one trait that ML has which is similar to GTY in his quest to get ML. 

She doesn't want to leave it to fate, to a maybe, probably, possibly for CL to get their downfall. 

Doesnt want to leave it to karma, or heaven to deal with CL. And when she knows that no one else will give her justice, she gets it herself. Calculated her moves, she placed everything in its place to ensure that CL and Molan will walk the path she prepared. And she waits for CL to finally die before she tells a single soul. 

She's ready to pay the price, but she will make sure that she gets her revenge first. 

Ruthless, yes. But also very sad. As granny said, someone as young as her had to plan, and execute such things all by herself. So much weight in her heart and no one ever saw her pain...

My thoughts too.

In epi 36 while strolling the courtyard she was thinking if she can live for herself. GTY would give her the opportunity I am curious to know if she will break that habit.

I love the new shades that come to light in her character.

2 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

A vow of honour!! 

Thank you for videos.

Just watched the latest trailers. Thankiu chingus for sharing!!

May I just say I loved the confession and promise GTY made to ML at the polo game...and her response by offering to play with him as a team.. :wub:

Her way of saying "alright then, let's show the world we are together"!

Does help that he has proposed to the family! 

Despite all the excitement with GTY's engagement, I was sooo happy to see MoLan at the polo match!!! I wanted to see the fruits of ML's labour! Too bad she can't look too miserable in public :D

BTW, did GTY become HL's children's god parent or something? Did he help give her some standing in her family?

I was tickled to see how they switched the roles around for the 'fish/shrimp' line which is a well-known Chinese proverb in my regional dialect (the words rhyme as it is probably the primary source of the proverb) and sounds strange in mandarin (don't rhyme and no tonal similarities whatsoever). 

7 hours ago, mooose said:

Concubine Lin used food as a weapon against Concubine Wei. Minglan used Concubine Lin's greed and ambition against her. Both were murderers even if they didn't weild a knife. What Minglan did to get revenge for mother was also reprehensible. 

There are no real villains or heroes in the backyard. Just women who were struggling to survive and they can for themselves and their children. 

Concubine Lin deserves what she got. It’s her karma. 

Trying to survive? The one trying to survive was Minglan mother. It’s not like they are so poor to fight tooth and nail with each other nor they starving like what ML and her mother went through. They are villains simple as that. People can struggle to survive without stepping on other people and committing murder.

Episode 36 was so fun and flaunted the nimble and agile minds of both Ting Ye and Ming Lan. 

GTY looked swank and hot in the brick red robe he wore to the Gu Manor to confront his so called family. He shamed and mocked their absurd hypocrisy without raising his voice and made them realize what fools they are. He made them give the spear to him without him using force to emphasize he is the owner and the step family have no rights to it. I laughed when the brother was going to give the spear back and the step mom took it from him to give back to Ting Ye as if that would earn her points. Ting Ye instead very sweetly told her that with her acting she can sign up to sing in the operas. Then he tells mommy dearest that he will accept her invitation for the feast and go prepare it and her response was a dumbfounded "huh". :lol:

He also asked CB in a round about way about his family and unmarried sisters and CB does not even know that he is being pumped for information. CB told him about Dr He whom grandmother is heavily favoring for ML. Now he knows his competition. 

When Minglan found out about Dr He's cousin and the gag she is trying to pull, she was not impressed or one bit fooled. She has seen these antics before with Manniang and Linniang and when Dr. He took pity on that cousin to make her a concubine or a maid, Minglan put a stop to the drama by telling Dr. He what her expectations are of a husband to be. She saw her father in Dr. He and his treatment of her legal mother, Big Madam.  Maybe later when TY proposes she, will remember that TY has been there and back as he once admitted to her that he was fooled by Manniang. He has learned his lesson and therefore will not be fooled again by a simpering devious woman to bring to his house. Hopefully, TY will fall deeply in love with ML and not bring any other woman to his home. 

4 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Second time was when GTY was away on the battlefield, ML was pregnant. Stepmom didn't want GTY to have an heir, so she push ML to receive a concubine, trying to shock her into premature birth. But that doesn't seem to fit the scene either. Maybe drama would make a change here and go through with the plot you predicted. It's more common in this type of drama.

Spoiler

From the novel spoilers I read, I thought the time when GTY was away in battle while ML was pregnant, the Stepmom brought Maniang to do the concubine griping thing which lead to ML going into labor, in hopes that both mother and child died, but both survived labor process (ML’s servants stopped Maniang from going too far), so Stepmom had her servant set the Fu on fire. GTY got there after the fire was started in time. From trailers, looks like they’re keeping this part in the drama.

45 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Despite all the excitement with GTY's engagement, I was sooo happy to see MoLan at the polo match!!! I wanted to see the fruits of ML's labour! Too bad she can't look too miserable in public :D

BTW, did GTY become HL's children's god parent or something? Did he help give her some standing in her family?

I dont think so but on the book HL should get some help later on from ML i think.

22 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

When Minglan found out about Dr He's cousin and the gag she is trying to pull, she was not impressed or one bit fooled. She has seen these antics before with Manniang and Linniang and when Dr. He took pity on that cousin to make her a concubine or a maid, Minglan put a stop to the drama by telling Dr. He what her expectations are of a husband to be. She saw her father in Dr. He and his treatment of her legal mother, Big Madam.  Maybe later when TY proposes she, will remember that TY has been there and back as he once admitted to her that he was fooled by Manniang. He has learned his lesson and therefore will not be fooled again by a simpering devious woman to bring to his house. Hopefully, TY will fall deeply in love with ML and not bring any other woman to his home. 

I do feel a bit for Dr He .. he is so damn sweet and charming and i do think he really like's ML its just hes to soft. 

18 minutes ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

From the novel spoilers I read, I thought the time when GTY was away in battle while ML was pregnant, the Stepmom brought Maniang to do the concubine griping thing which lead to ML going into labor, in hopes that both mother and child died, but both survived labor process (ML’s servants stopped Maniang from going too far), so Stepmom had her servant set the Fu on fire. GTY got there after the fire was started in time. From trailers, looks like they’re keeping this part in the drama.

Spoiler

I wonder if thats when we see GTY in that normal solider outfit or maybe him rushing into the capital after hearing about the fire leads to him being demoted as a normal solider and that jail/ML ringing the bell scene's. 

Just watched ep 40 raw and I couldn’t help but laugh when GTY took a drink of alcohol straight from the pot before he continued onto the confession. Like he was thinking, uh I know little Six, I’m gonna need a swig of this before I continue down this path. :lol:

4 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Just watched ep 40 raw and I couldn’t help but laugh when GTY took a drink of alcohol straight from the pot before he continued onto the confession. Like he was thinking, uh I know little Six, I’m gonna need a swig of this before I continue down this path. :lol:

Spoiler

In that scene he confessed that he wanted to marry ml since he saved her from drowning. :D

Archived