[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

Minglan did nothing but use their own greed, Fear and jealousy against then and than set back to watch the show. If mother and daughter had been smart or savvy enough to Actually think out their actions ML would not have been able to overthrow them. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Didn't i tell u not to call me uncle!! Lol

Reveal hidden contents
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 3cae7051ly1fz9r2c09dtj20p00rc766.jpg
  •  
  •  

LOL... I laugh when I read this part in novel.. GTY corrected ML to call him as "Husband" or else she got punishment.. When ML call him husband, she end up EATEN by GTY.. Muahahahaha.. Im sure the eat up the wifey part will be milder in drama.. But we can hope to see some kisses scenes right.. HAHAHAHAH (pervert mode on) :phew:

1 hour ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Episode 40 was love. GTY told empress he was busy preparing the dowry for his bride & empress said that his bride was very lucky all the while looking at Minglan. She gave him a pin she was wearing to give his bride as her dowry & THE BEST PART WAS MOLAN,MAMA LIANG & GTY’S STEP MUM WERE THERE. Molan must be so jealous lmao. Anyone else feeling smug/petty?

Let us throw confetti around, use party hats and burn some fireworks to celebrate Molan, Mdm Liang n Mdm Gu jealous expression... Hahahahaha :star:

25 minutes ago, mooose said:

Minglan was the hot property in that household. Courted by QH, Liang Madam, Dr He, GTY and QH again!

Molan must have been 2yrs+ older than ML so I can see why mother and daughter were panicking.

Our dearest little lamb Minglan is the "HOT STUFF" of Sheng family.. hahahah... 

@leeza  Thanks for this trialer

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, After the marriage it seems the women in the Gu house have gathered and already pick out a concubine for GTY and has tolxd this child that she'll become his concubine and they attacking ML to accept or have GTY to take her in afterwards ML told them that GTY will never take in another women and this girl breaks out and cry..  I;m trying to figure out which uncle she's related to.. They still going after his assets by using the other Gu daughters.. I don;t think GTY dad house is doing to well now..  

Also thanks @Ditto  And everyine else for the video links and conversation.. First time I've been so invested in a Chinese drama thread and I'm enjoying every minute of it..

1 minute ago, mooose said:

I'm not comparing the acts but the 'intent'. Both Lin and Minglan both carried out acts intending to kill the other party. In fact, ML only confessed after Lin was dead which was her revenge goal. I'm not saying ML is evil but she can be just as blackhearted.

The intent could not have happened if only Sheng Hong wasn’t so wipped. This man was a LOSER, A WIMP and CRUEL ( In my opinion). His child died and his concubine died because of the woman he put on a pedestal. He was okay with her negligence of not helping Concubine Wei. He care a lot about the Sheng reputation than the happiness of his family.  A woman who would have still found a way to destroy his career without the help of Ming Lan. I think the intent was just on Ming Lan’s side. Mind Lan’s intent would not have worked if Concubine Lin and MoLan was good people. I fear if Ming Lan hadn’t done what she did. MoLan and Concubine Lin would still getting all the attention and  still have chosen the same route that just happened but it would have revealed secretly and SH would have forgiven her. What upset him the first time around was the fact she was one who spread the new around so that they can get a quicker result. So in my opinion ML only pushed her plan foward. 

20 hours ago, deslynn88 said:

Part of me wonders if ML makes a big deal about this to Grandma on purpose.  She's complaining but I have a feeling she's secretly pleased at all the effort he put into his planning and wants Grandma to know as well.  We all know how she hides her real emotions very well from her family, even in front of her Grandma.

She did explained to grandma when grandma asked how she felt.  She actually said that she was pleased someone would go to such length to get her then she started to be angry with him because he manipulated her family and she felt like giving him a slap....:joy:  So she actually told grandma the truth and all in all they admired him for his audacity.  

44 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean SH never pushed for treatment either he could have directly sent people there to treat her. 

ML gave the impression that it was being done under the orders of big Madam.It wasn't true but her manipulation.

SH might be under the same impression since the servants would have conveyed to him as they did to nanny Fang.

He wouldn't dare to go and question his Mother on this.It might be the reason why ML refused to divulge about her grand task to grandmother.She might have objected if she had know about it earlier.

38 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, After the marriage it seems the women in the Gu house have gathered and already pick out a concubine for GTY and has tolxd this child that she'll become his concubine and they attacking ML to accept or have GTY to take her in afterwards ML told them that GTY will never take in another women and this girl breaks out and cry..  I;m trying to figure out which uncle she's related to.. They still going after his assets by using the other Gu daughters.. I don;t think GTY dad house is doing to well now..  

Also thanks @Ditto  And everyine else for the video links and conversation.. First time I've been so invested in a Chinese drama thread and I'm enjoying every minute of it..

Haven’t looked at the previews or anything but the Gu’s are not very rich and most of their assets came from GTY’s mother’s dowry.  In my opinion, they’re very greedy and only saw GTY’s mother as their $$ source. In the novel spoilers, they were trying to keep GTY from it all because they didn’t want to loose their cushy life, but the only time they brought up giving GTY a concubine was about a year after marriage because ML hadn’t gotten pregnant yet so they used that as the excuse.  GTY shut them down and right after that found out that ML was already pregnant.  After being newly married, concubines don’t usually get introduced unless the wife can’t get pregnant because of inheritance issues (unless the husband is a womanizer like 6th Liang son). Once a sufficient amount of time has passed, family members can press that the main wife accept a concubine to ensure children and use the execuse of filial piety and being a virtuous wife to force the main wife’s hand. We’ll see how they play it out in the drama.

4 hours ago, leeza77 said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  I love this clip so much.  They will be power couple.  So sweet when he laughed and said he has never been so happy and she replied, me neither.  I am very happy as well....

17 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

ML gave the impression that it was being done under the orders of big Madam.It wasn't true but her manipulation.

SH might be under the same impression since the servants would have conveyed to him as they did to nanny Fang.

He wouldn't dare to go and question his Mother on this.It might be the reason why ML refused to divulge about her grand task to grandmother.She might have objected if she had know about it earlier.

Uhm im not sure either way ML is not blackhearted even if she stabbed Lin right in the heart Lin deserves it , the reality is some people just deserve to be killed and Lin was that type of person ML is not blackhearted or anywhere near what Lin was. 

14 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Haven’t looked at the previews or anything but the Gu’s are not very rich and most of their assets came from GTY’s mother’s dowry.  In my opinion, they’re very greedy and only saw GTY’s mother as their $$ source. In the novel spoilers, they were trying to keep GTY from it all because they didn’t want to loose their cushy life, but the only time they brought up giving GTY a concubine was about a year after marriage because ML hadn’t gotten pregnant yet. GTY shut them down and right after that found out that ML was already pregnant.  After being newly married, concubines don’t usually get introduced unless the wife can’t get pregnant because of inheritance issues (unless the husband is a womanizer like 6th Liang son). Once a sufficient amount of time has passed, family members can press that the main wife accept a concubine to ensure children and use the execuse of filial piety and being a virtuous wife to force the main wife’s hand. We’ll see how they play it out in the drama.

Actually in the book didnt they send people over and servants to try get GTY not just GU's but ML's step mother as well they were all trying to push women into GTY's arm's.

8 hours ago, m0us3y said:

asked earlier if a friend gets together with my-ex would I not get upset? I guess I would be sad if I still have feelings, but I'd also be beating myself more than anything because I gave up first. I married another. I have no right to be mad or upset at my friend, or my ex. It ended when QH gave up, and married the princess. Feelings or not...

But @tomo74did also raise a good point that we are judging based on a snippets of an episode, before getting the full picture. That, I admit. 

Thank you for honest answer, for myself, I'll feel sad too (maybe upset, maybe angry, depends on my mood and mind at that time) and everyone will handle things differently, I just want people try to understand.

I watch drama because of the story (NIF is still the best story and better than this drama imo), the more complicated the characters, the more interesting, I try to enjoy the story episode by episode not jump straight to the end (like "i know the ending, so i don't care how the story goes, i just want to see this person with this person, full stop"), I like how we can feel the love without sex scenes, without kissing on the lips, I like deep story that required understanding and brain, I like the quality of the acting, but it just me, maybe I watch drama differently from others.

It’s very sad when you think on it but if Molan had a decent mother or a big Madam not so prejudiced against her to take over her raising or a father who actually had a clue or if grandma had stepped up she could have been a really accomplished and useful lady. She is really intelligent and driven but it went to waste.pity.

2 hours ago, mooose said:

Concubine Lin used food as a weapon against Concubine Wei. Minglan used Concubine Lin's greed and ambition against her. Both were murderers even if they didn't weild a knife. What Minglan did to get revenge for mother was also reprehensible. 

There are no real villains or heroes in the backyard. Just women who were struggling to survive and they can for themselves and their children. 

This is what I been trying to say and point out. I understand how we want to prop up people as heroes and villains as it makes stories more compelling for viewers. With that said, it's better not to throw stones at people when you're not living their struggle. 

Oh, deep in my heart, I actually think Sheng Hong (patriarchy) is to blame for many things. However, I am biased because I think men (at large, not individual men) are trash. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, paras said:

Preview of the wedding -

@paras Thanks For this video. Man thats one hearty laugh GTY has when he's with ML.. That's the laugh of a happy man..

In that video it seens like the whole town was there.. I just have to believe ML is there among the crowd green with envy and hatred in her heart.. It may have crossed her mind to try and ruin this marriage just as she ruined her life..

2 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

Episode 40 was love. GTY told empress he was busy preparing the dowry for his bride & empress said that his bride was very lucky all the while looking at Minglan. She gave him a pin she was wearing to give his bride as her dowry & THE BEST PART WAS MOLAN,MAMA LIANG & GTY’S STEP MUM WERE THERE. Molan must be so jealous lmao. Anyone else feeling smug/petty?

@darkphoenix  Where did you see this.. I've been trying to catch and expression on Molan face every since she realized what she got herself into.. Knowing that the empress gave ML a pin I'm suprised she didn;t try and have her killed to take it.. How do she expect to be praised by the palace empress when she entered being the main wife all wrong.. Well all I can say is the lowly bish as she called her still raised aboved her in terms of having a husband..As a matter of fact she raised above all the Sheng girls if you think about it..

1 hour ago, Lunkera said:

@darkphoenix123 Yep, loved that scene. We will see probably Molan jealous expression tomorrow.

@Lunkera  According to some of the comments that I read Molan husband has to be hating he married her by now.. He has to be kicking himself to know he had a chance after QH and before GTY, Also if his Mom would have push for her a Lil harder she may have become his with the exception of the free cow.. (Molan)

54 minutes ago, mooose said:

The assets were Sheng properties (SH's assets from the family division) not DaNiang's dowry.  It was considered shameful for a scholar to touch a woman's dowry. Lin demanding other women's dowry was also shameful.

Old Madam pushed SH to carry out family punishment on Lin. It had to be done otherwise his sons and family would never respect him. I have a feeling he might have forgiven her if she hadn't exposed her true colours in that fight.

@moose  SH wasn't really going to do anything to CL until he found out she put the other girls in jeapordy.. Thats when he knew it was her wearing the pants and not him.. Like you I really believe he was going to forgive her and jkust let things go but Granny wasn;t having it and when it involved her getting angry for them accepting to send ML out with the richard simmons he knew very well what had to be done or he could never have lift his face to her or ML ever again..

I agree with @mooose assessment. ML is not the typical innocent heroine. She manipulated everyone in order for her revenge to gain fruit. Then otherwise, why would she write her confession? Don’t get me wrong, I like ML. However, she is not an angel. She is flawed, and that’s why I like her. She is human.

She is an expert in observation. She knew her father’s weakness is keeping up  his position thus, she used that tor her advantage. She knew once her father knew the truth, there was no love, he would skin his concubine alive. That’s why the main wife realized something about her husband that she ignored and ML did not. And by the way dying slowly like how Concubine LinQ died is not a merciful death by any means. 

Honestly, the most flawed character to me at the moment is the new emperor. He has the power to create destruction for everybody including our main characters. That’s the person I’m watching out for the moment. The way he rejected becoming crown prince sent warning bells into my head. 

39 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

She did explained to grandma when grandma asked how she felt.  She actually said that she was pleased someone would go to such length to get her then she started to be angry with him because he manipulated her family and she felt like giving him a slap....:joy:  So she actually told grandma the truth and all in all they admired him for his audacity.  

I seriously cannot wait until subs are released to understand all of this. I just hope they like GTY. 

47 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

I hope GTY will come to the rescue lol...cause they are so evil to do it the next day after the wedding????

6 hours ago, mooose said:

3. Bros' before hoes'

I'm confused, you said bros before hoes but it's ok for GTY going after his friend's ex? I totally understand if ML is the last girl on earth (since QH and ML had clean break and if QH has no feeling at all to ML, so QH can't be so selfish). I'm genuinely confused, there's so many fights and hates because of this thing, like is it ok since it's in drama but not ok in real life?

7 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

I hope GTY will come to the rescue lol...cause they are so evil to do it the next day after the wedding????

@JoycceeDreamer  It's no way GTY is going to let that two face step mom into his marriage or bully his wife.. He sit back and watch how ML handle things and if it don;t appease him he'll go to the backstabber himself.. But I read in a comment that his family sent several women into the home but he never slept with any of them even when they tried to seduce him when he and ML was angry with each other.. It was said that he borrowed all the women from entering his chamber including ML until they made up.

5 hours ago, darkphoenix123 said:

If I were in QH’s shoes and my friend was going after my ex, I would feel sad but I would not go to my friend and ask her to break the relationship. Life never waits for anyone & if I had to be with someone else then I would expect my ex to find someone else sometime & be happy in their life. I will be sad at home but I won’t go confront my friend like QH did here cuz that’s just wrong...

Thank you for your honest answer. In this case as you mention ( So he didn't say that GTY was not good enough, he's just convinced that (1) he loves her first, GTY knows his love, so GTY is wrong for coming between them and (2) GTY doesn't love ML as much as him and (3) ML also doesn't want to marry GTY. I guess that this lead to QH go to find ML but was rejected by Grandmother. Probably, at this point, both ML and Grandma has accepted GTY's proposal. QH probably didn't know this, he just thought she was forced because Sheng house ran out of daughters. ) do you think you are wrong? because you don't know certain things, you just know what you think.

22 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

This is what I been trying to say and point out. I understand how we want to prop up people as heroes and villains as it makes stories more compelling for viewers. With that said, it's better not to throw stones at people when you're not living their struggle. 

Oh, deep in my heart, I actually think Sheng Hong (patriarchy) is to blame for many things. However, I am biased because I think men (at large, not individual men) are trash. Sorry. 

Im a man and saying you think men are trash is just sexist and stupid, i do think Sheng Hong is to blame though. 

Archived