[Drama 2017] Live Up To Your Name, Dr. Heo 명불허전

Admin

Heo Im is not greedy person. To his thinking, when you are rich, others will treat and respect him better.

He knew that he need the rich connection to be success. 

Heo Im refuse to help the old lady as he knew that his treatment is useless as she is very weak and nearly at her death.

If he is selfish, he will not tell the little girl to hang on and wait for him to cure her as he had no choice to go to the king 1st.

Cant wait for tonight episode...:D

Is Heo Im ability to time travel due to special arrow that Heo Jun order his man to shoot him? 

Why is Heo Jun surprise that Heo Im returning back?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, shiqin3381 said:

Heo Im is not greedy person. To his thinking, when you are rich, others will treat and respect him better.

He knew that he need the rich connection to be success. 

Heo Im refuse to help the old lady as he knew that his treatment is useless as she is very weak and nearly at her death.

If he is selfish, he will not tell the little girl to hang on and wait for him to cure her as he had no choice to go to the king 1st.

Cant wait for tonight episode...:D

Is Heo Im ability to time travel due to special arrow that Heo Jun order his man to shoot him? 

Why is Heo Jun surprise that Heo Im returning back?

No Heo Im ability to time travel is because of the magic tool needle set

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes and no. Surely, Heo Im was quite tactless. However even if Yk's patient is at the hospital, the financial aspect still exists. Both have something in common: the money. The woman is terribly ill, if her family can not afford a new surgery, then what? The doctors won't treat her. So it is the same in the end. YK sensed that the woman was hiding something aso. The reason not to follow was: she is not my patient, why should I look into it, if the woman lied? She doesn't look into her financial situation.  

As for Heo Im, maybe he recognised that he couldn't help her anyway. So if he had been by her side and she had died... would have the family blamed him as well? I think like @Lmangla. He couldn't have saved her.Then, why didn't the servants look for another doctor? Just because Heo Im was the only one who would treat poor people? I am sure, Heo Im was not the only one... but you can not treat people non-stop because you might end up dead (too tired). YK's colleague acted exactly like Heo Im. He also left the hospital, although he was on duty. YK left the hospital in order to have fun. As conclusion doctors nowadays leave the hospital too because they need to rest. Notice if OHR's surgery hadn't gone well, YK would be the one blamed for everything. So in my opinion, nothing has changed from before, just that they have more tools and knowledge to save people, on the other hand if you don't have the money, then you won't get treated anyway.

For me, YK is arrogant because she thinks, she is a much better doctor, yet she is not. She is not able to relate to her patients. Heo Im was the one who could convince OHR to do the surgery and he was genuine with OHR. So he is not lacking empathy. At some point, YK will get hurt and it will happen the moment she can not keep her promise: saving a patient. I believe that's why she has this erased memory. She couldn't save the man back then...  

She is arrogant on two points: she thinks, western medicine is superior to oriental medicine and acupuncture hence she could save all her patients. Then she also believes that she has always saved her patients. 

* The Woman was in the process of being treated. The money aspect is neither  here nor there because might have fir all we know . She had a hope and a fighting chance.  I never said Choi  was a saint and I don't find her particularly warm or loving but the woman had been been looked was not on verge of death and she certainty is not in charge of finding her patients innner secrets. 

* The servant was an elderly women who could not get to even the presumably one poor clinic in Hanyang and her son even though he is clearly not a good guy was doing what he could. Which one of us in that situation if they saw a doctor know for being almost magical passing by wouldn't beg to be for a loved on e to be at least looked at? 

* He wasn't really tired is the point. He was not going to rest. He used that as an excuse to go play with Kisaengs/find some rich nobles to treat. Yes. they might have blamed him but we can't know that for sure and even a cursory exam and a needle would have placated the man at least. That was all the son was asking for. 

* YK went to the club when she was off and came back when she got the call when she was needed. And that time there were plenty of other Doctors and She could have said she was tired and ignored the summons. That's the difference between her and him: She is dedicated and devotes her life to the patients. He has a job but once the bell rings he could care less about the government clinic patients. 

* She is confident and brilliant but all top surgeons are. Not sure how people are getting she is so arrogant. Not brlieving in needles and moxa is the norm I would think. She at least tries to relate but either due to her past or her nature it is difficult for her but she knows the importance of it and makes the effort... She worked on Ha Ra and got her trust when no one else could. And we don't know whether she lost patients or not do we? Did they say? Doctors expect this on occasion but the good ones still try with utmost. 

Yeah. You need money.It still talks.  But a poor women in 1592 is dead without some compassion.  A poor women in 2017 has at very least system in place for people like her in a modern country like Korea. You may not get the best but you won't die on the street either.

I also feel sorry for that servant's mother. And I was surprised that we didn't see Heo Im feeling sorry about it or thinking twice about it. But it can also be that the reason why he didn't heal her wasn't just because he didn't want to or because they cannot pay him - but probably because of that servant's master which is known for his temper. Heo Im decided to treat him secretly saying that he cannot treat him in that hospital with those commoners, so if that master found out that he treated as servant in his own house then he might feel insulted - he might as well punish those servants. As what we saw, that servant serve him her whole life and yet, he didn't even bother to have her checked in a public hospital - they do not need much for that ( I think it was free?)

I just think that HI is someone who have learned to toughen up after being a low public doctor for years. It's not like he didn't feel bad for his patients, it's just that...he just accepted the fact that he cannot save everyone. A lot of those patients go to their clinic, line up for whole day only to be asked to return the next day, so it would probably seemed unfair for those who lined up but didn't get treated if he will treat them outside.

Heo Im is definitely not a hero but I do not think that he is as bad as what YK think of him. You know...even in our time, there are still hospitals that wouldn't accept patients unless they have money to pay first. Also, YK may not be able to understand since she didn't go through the same hardship as Heo Im... YK is a doctor who gets paid a lot..it's not like she treat every patients she sees in the street for free, because in the end, even though  she treated some of those patients  "outside" - she still asked them to be brought in the hospital...unlike with Heo Im where he spent his whole day treating patients for free or get paid a little(which is why he do things in secret)

I think this is a matter of understanding, each person's reason on why they do things that they do. The situation that they are in, the things that they went through.... just like Oh-Hara, at first she may have acted like a spoiled emo brat, only for us to learn why she didn't want to be treated later on.

But yeah...he probably think that things will be easier in this modern world, so he might learn things in a hard way... since the only things he sees in this modern world are all good.

It's sad that the ratings dropped though...

On 26/08/2017 at 1:14 AM, maddymappo said:

I think the brand is Philippe Model. A neat bit of product placement there.

I found this one Philippe Model 

Hide contents
Sneaker Philippe Model Tropez In Black Nylon Fabric And Glitter
USD 238.86
F17 - W18
Sneaker Philippe Model Tropez in black nylon fabric, glitter toe and counter. Golden laminated leather and mesh on the toe. Lace upunlined with removable insolerubber sole used effect 2 cmMade in Italy
  Hide contents

eadac098832e163d55a145f3fbedeb99.jpg

Thank u so much ! 

24 minutes ago, kaoriharang said:

I have been a silent follower of this drama, now that I am all caught up. I am really falling in love with this story more and more. I hope this thread becomes more lively soon :( But it is nice to see some familiar faces around! @ktcjdrama @YourHighness . @bebebisous33

@vangsweetie637 I am over here for now ^^

I hope so too but unfortunately, there are limitations for international audience? I heard dramafever and viki dont have license for this drama :(. Also i feel like this drama has less promotion?

@kaoriharang Great that you are joining us on this thread!! :) I have to say that our OTP's chemistry is really great. Even if both have their flaws, I like that they are able to overcome their differences. YK doesn't seem to be too prejudiced towards Heo Im. She softened more and more during the episode 5 and now, she has finally seen HI's gentleness and humbleness (episode 6).

@kaoriharang welcome!  Yep good story great acting wonderful comedic timing but also it's a serious drama about saving lives how two different doctors sees through their own practice.

Done with real life duties. II'm about to watch the sub  for Ep 5. I'll share what I think  once I've finished it.

19 hours ago, RobinM said:

They do have a very adult chemistry and He is kinda digging it  but she is still very conflicted about his true character and his intentions so she is fighting it. Hard. In all honesty it's been along time since I have seen two characters in a drama had this much Sexual tension this early. 

@RobinM Yep and it's really good. You wanna see two characters tension... try watching.. cdrama  The King's Woman. Not sure about sexual tension but boy...

11 hours ago, RobinM said:

Looks like an Asian younger Matthew McConaughey there. 

Sorry. He doesn't look like himself.. He is cute as hell but he's not Heo Im anymore. 

I know right! Would have preferred  he didn't shave but. as I've said in my  previous post, the drama will have change to serious tone,  I don't want to see the funny Heoim I was laughing much the first 3 episodes of this drama.

9 hours ago, larus said:

I was looking to watch episode 5 this morning but no subtitles available yet... :(

Heo Im is making a change in look. Very modern, with a new haircut and shaved, wearing a suit. He looks so confident. I am curious if his new look with coincide with a change in his playful character. It`s time to watch the new Heo Im. I am ready for his "journey". 

@larus same here ready for new life. He looks modern day doctor ( who doesn't know anything about modern technology). Imagine him doing acupuncture. wearing suit and tie. He's probably going to be in the Shinye Oriental Medicine department.. that bldg across the main hospital.

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I don't understand why Heo Im's ambition should be perceived as something negative.

@bebebisous33 Yep. The modern world is new to him. but his goal will always be to help by means of doing what he knows best which is the art of  healing through acupuncture.

He also promised the young patient he will treat her. And he meant it. When the child said ( Ep1 ) ' ets not comeback here. leave me to die' he heard it. So he whispered to the little girl..

More thoughts when I'm done watching sub.. about to start now. :)

Hello everyone on this thread! I have started watching this drama and I have been pleasantly surprised with how interesting it is. TVN is strongly going to compete with all the week-end dramas. The bad thing about it is that neither VIKI or DF are officially subbing it. It is not available on VIKI for the USA and it seems that DF did not get the license. What a big loss for both sites!

I have finally watched the episode 6 RAW entirely. I was surprised by YK's reaction at the end... she blamed Heo Im for her trauma, saying that her disorder was triggered by him. Sure, she was stressed when she said those words but she is totally wrong. Then we see that the book her grandfather is reading started changing. The writing is disappearing hence it is clear that he needs to go back to Joseon. What I liked in the episode 6 is we could see Hae JA's methods are pretty similar to Heo Im's methods but his way is much more modernized. He didn't push himself the needles f. ex. As conclusion, HJ is destined to feel threatened by HI. First, HJ noticed how close HI is to YK... something he could never get, although he knows her much longer. Then in his professional life, HI will prove that his skills are far superior. But the way I see it, HI is going to be used by HJ's grandfather. Instead of excluding him, he will allow him to work as doctor and in the long run, Ma can get nominated for the next seat as Chairman. Once chairman, he can promote his own grandson. In Joseon, it was a little different. His opponent never allowed him to enter the Royal pharmacy. 

1 hour ago, 3z3zm3lp said:

I hope so too but unfortunately, there are limitations for international audience? I heard dramafever and viki dont have license for this drama :(. Also i feel like this drama has less promotion?

hmm, well my other subbing sites - this drama gets subs rather quickly? So I don't quite have a problem. yeah it seems that way but I understand it is doing really well locally.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@kaoriharang Great that you are joining us on this thread!! :) I have to say that our OTP's chemistry is really great. Even if both have their flaws, I like that they are able to overcome their differences. YK doesn't seem to be too prejudiced towards Heo Im. She softened more and more during the episode 5 and now, she has finally seen HI's gentleness and humbleness (episode 6).

hi chingu!

yeah I am slowly really falling in love with the chemistry and just how different but yet beautifully similar the main leads are. Looking forward to more as the story moves forward.

That scene where HI cried remembering about his mother was just painful to watch even though I dont understand everything that was being said.

Preview for next week's episode.

moustache and period hair is gone.

12 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

does that mean neither of them will make any more time jumps for now? and we won't get to see more of joseon? awww.....

No, he has to go back in my opinion because the writing in the book YK's grandfather has is starting disappearing. Moreover, Heo Jun is still shown, which gives us another indication that Heo Im will return to the past.  

@Lmangla Not to fear. There were some stills of him clean shaven in Joseon Clothes. He had to go back to save the little girl :)

Heo Im was a very influential Acupuncturist who wrote a famous manual.  Can't do that if he is here. He is already rewriting history being where he is not meant to be. 

14 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, he has to go back in my opinion because the writing in the book YK's grandfather has is starting disappearing. Moreover, Heo Jun is still shown, which gives us another indication that Heo Im will return to the past.  

29 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

does that mean neither of them will make any more time jumps for now? and we won't get to see more of joseon? awww.....

I agree he has to go back, he is losing his very own identity of where he is from.

He wants to be a modern man but he is not. His place in history is too be a pioneer doctor not a corporate pet for For hospital bigwigs.  The question is how he goes... Saving her yet again? Then she is going with him once more! 

Archived