[Drama 2017] Live Up To Your Name, Dr. Heo 명불허전

Admin

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just done watching with subbed. I just realized that the actor who played the merchant who fooled Bidam in QSD is the same guy who's acting as Heo Jun haha.

I really like this episode, it's not as funny as the last 3 episodes but it's still so intense especially the ending. I wonder what will Heo Im is planning to do now? is he going to change and become YK's rival and turn into the dark side?

Although some people view Heo Im as nothing but a scum, in truth he wasn't really like that. He really do care about his patients and feel bad for not being able to treat all of them but at the same time, he knew that he cannot save them all so he just have to go on with his life. I mean, even in our time, it's not like every doctors can save their patients or that every patients can be save no matter how much they wanted to be saved. And it's not like the doctors never leave the hospital and never stop treating patients, they too have a life.

YK is also living a double life, even her co-doctors were surprised to see her dancing on the club. So I hope she will understand Heo Im soon.

I just wonder though...for a doctor to freeze whenever there are patients from car accidents...I wonder how come she never gets in trouble? I mean, it's not unusual for them to have patients who've gotten into car accidents, right? so does that mean she never treated one before because she always freezes whenever she sees one?

I actually feel sorry for Heo Im when he was trying to save all of his treasures, it may look like he cares about nothing except money but...for him it was his life, something he worked so hard for but really...he should've took some of them and bury them instead. Good thing no one ever tried to get into that house and stole them.

I'm so excited for the next episode.

@yanki I kow I've been wondering about that as wel, why she would freeze and her hands not able to move whenever she sees blood or accident. Heoim noticed this, in fact in the hospital, he knew immediately how she would react having witnessed it first hand previously.

@bebebisous33 Is that averse reaction or could it have something to do with her past? In the brief flashback we saw in ep 3. She was thought how to do acupuncture.

Oh the preview for ep5.. can't wait for it. I'm ready to watch ep 4 with sub. Thoughts later.  I know I'm gonna laugh much again. You know drama is sooooo good and well acted, when a viewer like me can laugh much without even understanding a single word spoken. This  drama is best of the current ones.

53 minutes ago, jongski said:

@yanki I kow I've been wondering about that as wel, why she would freeze and her hands not able to move whenever she sees blood or accident. Heoim noticed this, in fact in the hospital, he knew immediately how she would react having witnessed it first hand previously.

@bebebisous33 Is that averse reaction or could it have something to do with her past? In the brief flashback we saw in ep 3. She was thought how to do acupuncture.

Oh the preview for ep5.. can't wait for it. I'm ready to watch ep 4 with sub. Thoughts later.  I know I'm gonna laugh much again. You know drama is sooooo good and well acted, when a viewer like me can laugh much without even understanding a single word spoken. This  drama is best of the current ones.

I think that perhaps her mother died in an accident like that or someone very close to her. Maybe she realized that acupuncture could not save that person, or saw at some point a failure that only modern medicine could cure.

I think this question of greed was planted in us from the start when we saw HI visiting his secret treasure. He has the greedy look on his face and then the kind of cavalier attitude at the stroke of the bell when he stopped his charitable practice because it was time to service the lords.

But both in the past and now, the rich often subsidize hospitals and charities, so the directors are at their mercy and not independent.   I have a feeling that HI had plans to use that money to set up a hospital palace for the needy. He mention in the preview that the hospital of oriental medicine will be his palace. 

3 hours ago, RobinM said:

Right now He is under the impression that YKs world is classless and warless... A  place where he can go to the top with his skills and the big wigs of this time will reward him with the wealth he craves. But it is going to be a real learning experience isn't it?  

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Heo Im will realise that the modern world is not really different from Joseon due to CYK. He will witness how CYK is treated by her mean colleague and she has to work twice in order to gain respect. He will come to understand why CYK is hiding her trauma.    

I agree. The modern world still has social status, and money and wealth get more attention and better treatment, respect and influence.  We see the nasty way that Dr. Choi is being set up for a fall.  But of course not nearly as bad as the time of enforced slave status and birth right nobles.   Still human nature is what it is. And, greed is what it is.

A word about Kim Ah Joong. I am not familiar with her work in the past but I think she is doing a great job in this drama. I have to admit that I was quite jealous of all the fun they were having making this drama, that we see in those production clips.  It would have been really upsetting with such a strong actor like KNG if they casted an actress who was too young and or  just a pretty face and no depths for this role, but I think they hit the mark casting this drama all around.

DZsnX1S.png

On 8/20/2017 at 0:13 AM, an-naum said:

When I watched Shark,  everybody predicted KNG's character will dies in the end, like all his dramas..  

aigoo!!!!! no I don't want his character to die here :bawling: but given that he seems to do time jumps every time his life is in danger, at some point, it is going to run out right? it is not like he can keep jumping back and forth.....

On 8/20/2017 at 8:11 PM, LyraYoo said:

Another revelation from today's episode: Heo Jun knows Yeon Kyung (?) . What's with the sudden realization when he saw the photo of YK and her mother?

So maybe, he also time traveled, thus explains why Grandpa says 'Not again"

here's my theory... should I put it in spoilers in case I end up being right?

Spoiler

wild guess but I am wondering if heo jun is yeon kyung's father!!!!! so the grandpa had the "not again" expression on looking at the acupuncture box and this box didn't end up in heo im's possession till he was assigned to treat the king by heo jun. so the grandfather has not met heo im and there is no dad mentioned in yeon kyung's life. so who could it be?..... 

and just as heo im passing through time whenever he is near death, perhaps thats what happened with heo jun. he "died" in the accident and slipped back into joseon time and couldn't get back to his wife and child....

EDIT: just backread and realized that a few others had the same idea. kekeke.. guess we are all thinking alike...

1 hour ago, yanki said:

I just wonder though...for a doctor to freeze whenever there are patients from car accidents...I wonder how come she never gets in trouble? I mean, it's not unusual for them to have patients who've gotten into car accidents, right? so does that mean she never treated one before because she always freezes whenever she sees one?

I don't think she is afraid of surgery but certain type of accidents and specific injuries bring up that bad memory. here's my theory @maddymappo @jongski : think it was her dad who was in the accident (it looks like a man's chest to me). it seems a very specific kind of chest injury plus the noise of ambulance at times triggers those freeze responses. it doesn't seem to happen all the time but now and then, it pops up. it kind of makes sense. I have a fear of heights because I fell down the mountain the first time I went trekking. by God's grace, I didn't break anything but it took me a lot of tears to get back on a mountain again. even though I can trek in most places, there are times when I freeze. like standing on certain balcony or climbing up spiral steps. it all depends on the day.. so it could be something like that for her....

5 hours ago, RobinM said:

As for the Relationship angle it seems that she was on her way to liking him and she was certainly intrigued by him but learning about his greed and his disregard for people turned her off. When his character development arc starts their relationship will take off.   For his part he is obviously very physically attracted to her and he doesn't hesitate to risk his life for her but it's hard to read right now. 

because I wasn't expecting a romance, it was a kind of a pleasant surprise to see the attraction flare on both sides. what was fun was to see the sense of responsibility that they both have towards each other sort of arriving before other feelings. the nurses kept referring him as her boyfriend and it didn't phase her but she was more worried if he would get arrested for operating without a license. even though she was suspicious or unsure of whether he was a quack, she couldn't leave. it was then super fun to see the tables reversed when they landed in joseon and her being at the end of his mercy so to speak. there was something rather sweet that he couldnt' leave her behind even if he would rather -- and I liked how the romance begins with a simple act of protection - of placing that scarf skirt thing on her head. (sorry, what is it called? does someone know?)... and it is funny that his real moment of seeing her as a woman was when she was dressed in a hanbok. till then, she was just yeon kyung but it was like he saw her as a woman at that time. who knew that putting on a bow could bring on old fashioned heat, awareness, fluster -- so cute!!!! :wub:

and I am really enjoying that part of their romance is their love of medicine, treating people and their different philosophies... but it makes sense because for both, medicine isn't just a career but a part of who they are as a person...

while I really enjoyed this week's episodes, I do wonder what is with TVN dramas - do they not have budget for lighting? or is it by choice that their dramas are not as brightly lit? am so used to the network dramas with their beautiful pop of colour where green hills are such a lovely hue...

16 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I don't think she is afraid of surgery but certain type of accidents and specific injuries bring up that bad memory. here's my theory @maddymappo @jongski : think it was her dad who was in the accident (it looks like a man's chest to me). it seems a very specific kind of chest injury plus the noise of ambulance at times triggers those freeze responses. it doesn't seem to happen all the time but now and then, it pops up. it kind of makes sense. I have a fear of heights because I fell down the mountain the first time I went trekking. by God's grace, I didn't break anything but it took me a lot of tears to get back on a mountain again. even though I can trek in most places, there are times when I freeze. like standing on certain balcony or climbing up spiral steps. it all depends on the day.. so it could be something like that for her....

I don't think she is afraid of surgery either. I think the accident was deeply traumatic, a loved one, yes could be her father if man's chest.  

I also think that perhaps she feels she could have saved someone close to her if she had modern medical degree. She carries with her at all times a surgical kit so she can operate on the spot.  Perhaps she knew acupuncture but it could not help her loved one -  someone, so she rejected it.

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

A word about Kim Ah Joong. I am not familiar with her work in the past but I think she is doing a great job in this drama. I have to admit that I was quite jealous of all the fun they were having making this drama, that we see in those production clips.  It would have been really upsetting with such a strong actor like KNG if they casted an actress who was too young and or  just a pretty face and no depths for this role, but I think they hit the mark casting this drama all around.

am not sure where but have this vague impression that I have seen her in something else but she was not really great perhaps??  but she is doing a great job here. what I really like is that she feels like a doctor and 31. not a kid (idol) acting as a doctor several years ahead of her actual age. so the natural maturity seems right... and yea, she is really holding her ground about KNG who does all sorts of things with just his face. hahahahha...

4 hours ago, larus said:

Heo Im has his flaws but Yeon Young has flaws too. Being a servant`s son, Heo Im had to endure humiliation. He has greed and ambition and in some measure, I understand why he is like that.

yea I was struck by how emotional he was about the money in the store house and that he was willing to damage his hands to try protect it. seems like a kind of emotional blanket in a way -- a sort of secret validation that he is safe.. but even then, he put her safety first and shielded her when the roof fell -- so it looks like caring for her is going to heal those hurts that he has buried deep inside of him....

He does already automatically, almost reflexively  protect her..He doesn't think about it. His mind says take the money and run for his safety, leave her at the Ahjummas place  but his subconscious is already set on taking care of her. We know which one always wins.  When both parts of him are in the agreement he will be complete.

13 minutes ago, RobinM said:

What do we know about the historical Heo Im? English Wiki has nothing  and google only leases me back to this drama LOL. I know he wrote an important Acupuncture Manual.

kekeke...I assumed that this was a fictional character but your question prompted me to look and there's not much there. hahahaha.. but on the bright side, I can then hope the writer will give me a kind of happy ending just like in queen inhyun's man because the writer is not bound by historical facts if there's not much info on him besides his manual..... given the comic tone and lack of melodrama, am really hoping that it wont end as two of them being separated by time and looking out into the sky -- like it usually happens in time slips dramas.

8 minutes ago, RobinM said:

He does already automatically, almost reflexively  protect her..He doesn't think about it. His mind says take the money and run for his safety, leave her at the Ahjummas place  but his subconscious is already set on taking care of her. We know which one always wins.  When both parts of him are in the agreement he will be complete.

there is something quite old fashioned swoony about it because it is not like she is a weak damsel in distress. she can make stupid fellas to apologize to her and hilariously defends herself with deodorant. so this isn't some typical candy character which is refreshing. and I liked that the danger is actually real that he is saving her from and it is a split second reflex like you said. if he thought about it, he probably wouldn't make that choice yet! hahahahah...

the banter at the ajummah place was amusing and the look on that ajummah's face as she eye rolled and immediately thought the two of them were lovers and having a lovers spat. it is interesting that there's already rumours he came back with a woman and now, news will spread again that he disappeared with a woman. wonder who people think he ran off with. anyone important? wonder how it will affect the joseon narrative if she is assumed to be a quasi noble or entertainer lady....

50 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

aigoo!!!!! no I don't want his character to die here :bawling: but given that he seems to do time jumps every time his life is in danger, at some point, it is going to run out right? it is not like he can keep jumping back and forth.....

here's my theory... should I put it in spoilers in case I end up being right?

Reveal hidden contents

wild guess but I am wondering if heo jun is yeon kyung's father!!!!! so the grandpa had the "not again" expression on looking at the acupuncture box and this box didn't end up in heo im's possession till he was assigned to treat the king by heo jun. so the grandfather has not met heo im and there is no dad mentioned in yeon kyung's life. so who could it be?..... 

and just as heo im passing through time whenever he is near death, perhaps thats what happened with heo jun. he "died" in the accident and slipped back into joseon time and couldn't get back to his wife and child....

EDIT: just backread and realized that a few others had the same idea. kekeke.. guess we are all thinking alike...

I do not think she is afraid of surgery either since she is a surgeon but she do get panic attacks in certain types of patients, which in this case are those people who've gotten into car accidents, which makes me wonder...how did she last that long as a doctor without getting in trouble? For sure there are lots of patients that's gotten into car accident going in their hospital, so does that mean she get panic attack every time she sees them? Does she always faint seeing them? Does that mean she never get to treat one? if Yes, then how come no one seems to notice? how come she didn't get in trouble as a doctor?

IWell.. when he comes full circle and learns to value money a little less and his patients a little more  I see him going back because the obviously the poor peasants in Joseon have a pressing need for quality and compassionate medical care that they can afford. YK will encourage him because it's the right and compassionate thing. 

Ideally  I like to think she will go with him because she loves him and wants to Help him treat his people and if the chief Dr is indeed her dad more the reason to stay. But the low status of females and the brutality of daily life will be hard for her.  

3 minutes ago, RobinM said:

IWell.. when he comes full circle and learns to value money a little less and his patients a little more  I see him going back because the obviously the poor peasants in Joseon have a pressing need for quality and compassionate medical care that they can afford. YK will encourage him because it's the right and compassionate thing. 

Ideally  I like to think she will go with him because she loves him and wants to Help him treat his people and if the chief Dr is indeed her dad more the reason to stay. But the low status of females and the brutality of daily life will be hard for her.  

not to mention modern amenities like bathrooms! hahahah..... :D

good point @yanki ~ you would think that at least her short rival guy would have noticed that she gets panic attacks at times... or maybe she hides it well? :huh:

@Lmangla @RobinM@yanki For me, she gets paralysed unter certain special circumstances: 

• when she witnesses a car accident
  • or when the injured has chest injuries 

--> every time she is reminded of that accident. So the injuries, the sound (ambulance aso), the car are the triggers hence she can not freak out, when she is doing a surgery.

Just finished Ep 4. Yes! im so happy they're back in Seoul! Modern world. Heoim will learn and can learn more about modern science and the technology used by doctors and have more knowledge.  But at the same time he can also he can share his  expertise in acupuncture.  I want to see Heoim,  heal the trauma Yeon Kyung past. The grandfather taught her at a young age how to do acupuncture, but she showed disdain for it, when it didn't save her mother. (in ep 1 she wanted the mother to be brought already to hospital, but grandpa kept on doing the oriental way of healing the mother). I want for Heoim, to be there when YK does her surgery for Ha-ra.

But I also want YK to teach Heoim all about healing ways in modern world. For the two of them be in Shinye Oriental Medicine bldg. Two doctors learning from each other how to save lives but also learning to open up and expose emotional fears of each other, in this way,saving lives of patients will be easier task.

I would like Heoim to bring his young Joseon patient to the modern world. He made a promise to save her. In the way , that YK made a promise to Ha-ra she will save her.

With all the funny terrific sense of humor of this drama, we also get that serious tone....that doctors save lives. A doctor is  doctor and has the obligation to make sure patient lives. I like the acting of main actors.Good job with chemistry.

A perhaps to pat ending would be for her or them to be able to travel back and forth at will.. spend most of the time in Joseon but hop back for gauze, disinfectant, Etc or even certain patients into the future  went its hopeless back then.  

Archived