[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Had this question for some time and maybe someone can answer this mistery jajja... What is the real name of the Evil Eunuch,is it really Park Joong Hun or Park Joong Won?It doesn't help at all that both Hun and Won sound so alike and i find it very hard to actually understand 100% when they say his name...Viki uses Park Joong Hun while DF and VIU Won,Asianwiki lists as Hun while Dramawiki as Won,aside from other 4-6 sites who each has like 3 vs 3 with the name...So what is his name?Maybe there is some korean to elucidate this one...

18 hours ago, fikachuuu said:

Alright I got the hint. Now I’m left to figure out which immortal lied and in what way haha.

Anyways I was re-watching some scenes and the biggest stumbling block that hindered me from seeing Reaper/Sunny’s reverse identity was Sunny herself. So I tried seeing them differently without any success. Initially, when I thought Sunny was pretending to be Kim Sun I was thinking that during the scene on the bridge in ep 12 if I'm not wrong (when she revealed to Reaper that she retained her memories due to the contradiction in the memory erasure part), that she was talking to herself or something (and maybe the breakup was because she can’t stand the notion of dating someone who’s wearing her old face:w00t: haha jkjk). But the things that she said to Reaper at the time indicated that she truly believed that she was Kim Sun. It was hard for me to believe that she could pretend all of that (Which is a relief since now I don't have that reason to dislike her anymore :sweatingbullets:). She said things like "Did my giving up my life for you give you a happy ending?" Which contradicts the theory that Sunny is Wang Yeo because WY never gave up his life to protect Kim Sun, Kim Sun was the one who gave up her life to protect WY.

Therefore, I think the only way I can explain to myself the reason Sunny truly believed herself to be Kim Sun is if Grim Reaper had intentionally/unintentionally (Have not figured this part out yet) altered her memories when he was giving her the kiss to return her past memories. In that scene before kissing her he said:

Hide contents

The kiss of a grim reaper brings back memories of your previous life

I fear what I was in your previous life

But I wish you were left only with good memories

I hope that a part of them are memories of your older brother

And….I hope that he is Kim Shin

I always thought it strange that Reaper had to say hoped that Kim Shin’s is Sunny’s brother but at the time I just assumed that he wishes her happiness with her brother. -_-

However, there are still some inconsistencies with the Reaper/Sunny reverse identity that I have yet to figure out yet. But I would have to do that at a later time. Lol My brain’s still tired from all the thinking…(X_x)

Spoiler

Huh? What happened to soompi again?? I can't highlight anything. lol. 

The part I underlined @fikachuuu is correct 

goblin%20right%20answer%20fikachuu_zpsy1

You got it!  Will post explanation later. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MAROSA_JIN said:

Reveal hidden contents

Goblin's ending may have been foretold right from the beginning!

Fantasy romance drama Goblin: The Lonely and Great God has won our heart and imagination.

Reveal hidden contents

For those of you who have watched the series or at least some of the episodes, you'd know that the Goblin has a special ability to glimpse the future. He may not understand what he sees, but he gets these mental images that can foretell the future. 

Such is the case when he first saw Ji Eun Tak (Kim Go Eun), the young woman who was destined to be the Goblin's Bride.

Watch this clip from episode 1, when our favorite Goblin first walked by Eun Tak:

Apparently, the ending of episode 16 was already foretold in episode 1
Did you catch the scene that went by really quickly?

The one where you see faint silhouettes of figures standing on a hillside?

Ardent fans of this fantasy drama will instantly recognize where this hillside is. The couple visited Quebec City several times in the drama.

The ending is poignant because it actually came after love was lost and found again.

But did you realize how this significant scene is connected right back to the moment when they first passed each other by?

Maybe it's time to watch the beloved Goblin: The Lonely and Great God and Gong Yoo again to catch more cl

Wow thank you for the info I did not realize that

You are right it's ime to watch it again 

Edited by Chellsee
Please do not quote images.
  • Like 1

http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/156581621856/goblin-film-crew-qa

Q, How about the atmosphere of the set?
A. We had enough production budget, so it was more relaxed and more comfortable than other dramas’. TV viewers might feel uncomfortable about its PPL (product placement advertisement). I heard at an early stage that it made approximately 8 billion won (6.8 million USD) only from PPL, but it directly and indirectly gave benefits to us, the film crew.  

I understood this even if the PPL was excessive. You need money for a good drama and how else to fund it but through PPL? Subway, S2 candles, iloom furniture, Body Shop White Musk..... 

Q. What year did Eun-Tak get reincarnated?
A. It took about 100 years, according to the script.

헐..I hope that Kim Shin had more hope when he realised that she WILL come back and remember him. Perhaps they can make a promise to meet in their third life at a specific place.  

Q. Is Kim Go-Eun (Eun-Tak) pretty?
Q. She is pretty. It was my first time to work with her, and she is a charming actress.

Q. How was Kim Go-Eun (Eun-Tak) in person?
A. She is cute!! and has a good personality!!

Great to hear such positive comments from the staff. We already know how nice she is through interviews with her cousin from the drama and the final ghost. And of course from Gong Yoo's own mouth ^^

Q. The set and Mise En Scene look expensive. Could you explain about it roughly?
A. I don’t know about the set because the art team is in charge of it. They are the same members as those in charge of The Descendants of the Sun (태양의 후예 2015 KBS) and Mirror of the Witch (마녀보감 2016 JTBC).  

Mirror of the Witch! I loved that drama (which went through a LOT of hoopla because of the leads age gap but I didn't care because I loved the story and Kim Sae Ron - never felt the urge to ship her with Yoon Shi Yoon - LOL)

Q. There is a rumor that Mr. Goblin (Gong Yoo) will get married as soon as finishing this drama. Is it true?
A. No way. (LOL)

This was funny! Wonder how this rumour came about. 

• Like 14

@Miky88 based on @janeeta picture it supposed to be Park Jung Hun.

Btw @janeeta what bad news?? I'm sorry i can't oppen it from my phone 

And that rumor tho... mr. Goblin will got married after this drama end? He supposed to be a husband by now if that so. If it's true sk will be flood by fans tears either it happy or sad. But i find that rumir so funny.

• Like 3

Am I the only one who think it's not only because of the schedules? Perhaps to avoid getting mobbed again (I might be sound very shallow here)? We've seen how bad it happened to GY, like I said before, mobbed them and they might go into hiding and and and who will be the one losing them? We all the loyal fans. Previously few of them already confirmed going and now it changed? Poor thing, I feel bad for KGE, GY, LDW and YIN, I'm all for loving and being a deep crazy fans but mobbing grabbing scratch our idol is not the right way to do it. *enough rant...

By the way, LDW looked so handsome on the CF with YIN :wub::lol:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, janeeta said:

Bad news guys!

Too bad, they deserved a vacation after all the hard work,  wondering why the announcement was done this late, for what I read the company behind the drama had purchased plane tickets and their accommodations were set,  too bad thatvtheir schedule couldn't had room for a few days off.

Edited by Chellsee
Please do not quote images.
  • Like 2

it says kim go eun might have fan meeting soon

MDBC wasnt as popular as goblin but the main cast couldnt ẹnjoy the vacation since the fans bother them everywhere. So its wise the main cast doing cfs first then do vacation later

im waiting for yoo in an cf of chicken restaurant

• Like 8

1 hour ago, seasonsoftheheart32 said:

The daum and yes24 navigation is a total pain ahaha. Thanks to @hairuchii (I think?), I've managed to register. I think I'll wait for the overseas order thing to happen after 7th Feb before making the pre-order.

Does anyone know if debit cards are accepted for payment? Or only credit cards?

When I ordered my W two worlds dvd through yes24 I could use my debit card for payment so I think debits card should be accepted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oktatwork said:

Am I the only one who think it's not only because of the schedules? Perhaps to avoid getting mobbed again (I might be sound very shallow here)? We've seen how bad it happened to GY, like I said before, mobbed them and they might go into hiding and and and who will be the one losing them?

It has happened to SungJae (aka DH) too.. . . 

http://www.koreaboo.com/news/btobs-sungjae-peniel-physically-harassed-fan-mob-airport/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janeeta said:

The entire main cast of Goblin cancelled on the Phuket trip due to "busy schedules". Crew are still going though.

ahhh... so they can't join to the vacation. too bad they need rest, vacation would be great for them. luckily GE already have vacation but the rest will be crazily busy without a break

• Like 7

6 hours ago, ucylucy said:

Annyeong! Found a gem on the web today: Bodashiri tumblr translated Q&A questions with one of Goblin filming staff. It's a great piece, with the crew member talking about the filming atmosphere and some about the actors on set. Below is a snippet of  Bodashiri's translated post.

Goblin film crew Q&A (from Bodashiri tumblr)

One Goblin staff answered questions on his community site yesterday. So, I translated them. [source 1] [source 2]

I was happy to join some big projects like The Descendents of the Sun (태양의 후예 2016 KBS), Signal (시그널 2016 tvN), and Goblin (도깨비 2016 tvN). Happy new year, everyone. If you want to ask a question, feel free to post here. I’ll try my best to answer anything I know.

Q. Is Eun-Tak’s father a god?
A. There is no mention about him in the script.

Q, What is your job? How did you guys come up with the bridge near the Yongdap station? (* the bridge where the Grim reaper met Sunny)
A. I was one of the lighting staff. The location scouting team is in charge of the filming locations.

Q. Why did reincarnated Wang Yeo and Kim Sun forget their previous life?
A. Neither the couple nor Ji Eung-Tak drank the tea of oblivion, but only Eun-Tak could retain her memory. I just guess the writer has some intention in doing so.   

Read the rest of Bodashiri's translated article here: http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/156581621856/goblin-film-crew-qa

Gong Yoo on the Feb. 2 issue of High Cut :wub:- his first interview after Goblin. I hope we get to hear him talk about Goblin in the interview :D.  (cr http://naver.me/5Z8FlN8t

Hide contents

Hide contents

@ucylucy must really thanks u for this little Crew-chat/interview. at least we get to see., that from the very beginning, while Writernim leave the middle-meatier part to be left "open" to peep at what fans' responses and tailored to what fans' likes/dislikes... she did set her foot on the ground on the finale.. which means whether fans like or dislikes, her ideal ending has already been set by Oct , and the end should have EunTak coming back to Shin, and in her mind, her Shin remains the Lonely and Shinny Goblin, and her Euntak remain his lovely and shinning Bride.
see one portion of your tumblr, which comfort me a lot; shall i quote"

Q. Is it true that you guys shot the ending in advance?
A. Yes, we shot the ending while filming in Canada in October. The ending was predetermined. The biggest reason why we didn’t pre-produce this drama is that the writer hoped to communicate with the viewers’ responses during the broadcast. I heard she had a hard time with The descendants of the Sun (태양의 후예 2016 KBS) because it was 100% pre-produced. (* She said in an interview that she felt something lacking in pre-produced drama)

you, see, Kim Eunsook is like the "butterfly' in the whole production, her wish and her will, her initial framework of whole story-board does matters, she literally begotten Shin and Euntak.
thank God she learn from the slight backslash her gotten from pre-produced DotS, so much so that when she wnated to change certain plot, its too late. but thanks God, everyone is still happy with the overall of DotS. and DotS greatest plus point is the Happy Ending of Both OTP, and the chemistry of leads and lines so well written that it proceed to suggest that the romance carry out off-scenes, into real life... So has KES learn from the Minus-points of a Pre-production, so while she leave the door open in the middle for any plot changes... in her heart, the heart of the Goblin-project 'Real-Butterfly" KES, her will to have Shin happy ever after with EunTak, will never waver nor change...
it is a utter comfort to know, that how strong her will is to find happiness for Goblin and Bride.
this is a blessed pieces of news today. and to think that Gongyoo and GoEun go thru the whole process of filming while knowing theirs a happy ending in the end, i thnk its really kinda sweet to both of them.
hmmm.... KES really my Star-Writernim from on now.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, NRGchick said:

http://bodashiri.tumblr.com/post/156581621856/goblin-film-crew-qa

Q, How about the atmosphere of the set?
A. We had enough production budget, so it was more relaxed and more comfortable than other dramas’. TV viewers might feel uncomfortable about its PPL (product placement advertisement). I heard at an early stage that it made approximately 8 billion won (6.8 million USD) only from PPL, but it directly and indirectly gave benefits to us, the film crew.  

I understood this even if the PPL was excessive. You need money for a good drama and how else to fund it but through PPL? Subway, S2 candles, iloom furniture, Body Shop White Musk..... 

헐..I hope that Kim Shin had more hope when he realised that she WILL come back and remember him. Perhaps they can make a promise to meet in their third life at a specific place.  

Q. Is Kim Go-Eun (Eun-Tak) pretty?
Q. She is pretty. It was my first time to work with her, and she is a charming actress.

Q. How was Kim Go-Eun (Eun-Tak) in person?
A. She is cute!! and has a good personality!!

Great to hear such positive comments from the staff. We already know how nice she is through interviews with her cousin from the drama and the final ghost. And of course from Gong Yoo's own mouth ^^

@NRGchick i used to murmur a lot of PPL. i guess after this drama, i should learn to refrain from grumbling, sometimes, it is really needed to fund the huge budget to give us good casts, good effects, good sceneries, .... etc.
so what if they keep flashing branded watches, subway, bodyshop.... if no monies don't buy right... and there will plenty of fans who's monies to them are sufficient enough to sacrifice and satisfied that yearning to fill up their emptiness once drama over... buying all these merchardise helps to patch up the link with the stars , in the end, it does help to make us happier alittle... and majority of us, we are only just buying bodyshop perfumes, candles, sandwiches, photo essay book... really no big deal to let those PPL bless the crews and casts more with a well-earned bonus, thru the extra PPL earnings....
now i learn, murmur less in future whenever see excess flashing of PPL.... everyone else in the world also need to put some food on their tables, thru hard earn efforts... it is not like we are dumping gold on their lap by buying a White Musk.

at least KES is so skillfill in creating an believable plot to weaved in all these PPL seamlessly. laud her at least for her skill, that she can even create jokes over all these PPL, and they don't appear randomly.
great job, KES, for mastery over PPL weaving into plot. (i mean it a praise, not an insult. really.)

• Like 11

On 1/29/2017 at 8:35 PM, fikachuuu said:

Whoa..the part about Sunny and Reaper having reverse identities was overwhelmingly deep for me. Even though it makes logical sense (especially in relation to my question), it is a lot for me to take. And I’m not sure if I will be able to see my beloved WangSun couple the same way again.:unsure:

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve become deeply emotionally attached to Grim Reaper and his initial identity as Wang Yeo (the same for Sunny and her identity as queen). And I’ve always associated Grim Reaper as the pitiful king and Sunny as the tragic queen, so seeing them in reverse shifts the whole dynamics of their relationship and my perspective of them as individuals. I don’t know, it kind of makes them (especially Sunny) slightly less likeable? Not that anything can take away my love for these two of course. However, I’m not sure if I’m able to readily to accept this take on their reverse identities, emotionally at least. (It’ll probably take me some time haha :sweatingbullets:)

You pointing out that DH possessed Butterfly God (BG) had been lying about Sunny’s identity to ET kind of got to me. It kind of felt like I as a viewer was also being lied to, not only ET lol. (Not sure why I’m having strong feelings about this:sweatingbullets:). Although I don’t understand, if Sunny was actually the king does that mean that Sunny was pretending to be Kim Sun all along? :blink: 

Hi @fikachuuu, before I explain that memory erasure part, let me backtrack and answer your questions from your post last Sunday first. Sorry for the delay.  

NO, she was NOT pretending to be Kim Sun. :)

As a matter of fact, Sunny had been skeptical about this whole Kim Sun thing. I've always found it curious that Sunny consistently disavowed being Kim Sun. The only time she warmly acknowledged Shin as her oraboni was right after her kiss with the Reaper, when Shin dropped by her chicken store to reimburse her $5 for the sweet potato. She apologized to Shin for not immediately recognizing him as her brother. (Episode 12)

Spoiler

goblin%20sunny%20oraboni_zps2ko27gyk.jpg

Remember though what the Shaman said.

goblin%20shaman2_zpsgepfh4nw.jpg

From the start, she hated her real name, Kim Sun. Even before discovering that Shin’s donsaeng was named Kim Sun, she herself disliked it already. She thought it was the kind of name that a “pitiful girl with a sad past would have” (Episode 8).  To me, it was a no-brainer. She disliked the name Kim Sun because it LITERALLY wasn’t hers.  Her name was Wang Yeo.

Spoiler

goblin%20kim%20sun%20name%20not_zps3juky

Then, in Episode 9, when the Reaper accidentally called her Kim Sun, she became mad. I thought her reaction was over-the-top for such a inconsequential faux pas. So what if he found out what her real name was? She should have been flattered that he was doing background research about her. Now, she didn’t need to be unsure and insecure anymore about his attraction for her. 

Spoiler

goblin%20ms%20kim%20sun_zpsf4fvxjfg.jpg

In Episode 11, instead of being grateful for the gifts Shin tried to win her over with, like a persimmon, a pair of traditional shoes and silk material, she became annoyed that he was bothering the smooth operation of her business. She wasn't interested in being the donsaeng Kim Sun. She only decided to give Shin a fair hearing when ET encouraged her. ET told her that she had heard "that someone named Kim Sun was very brave in front of her love.”  

Sunny thought that Shin was just “plotting” against her because they didn’t like each other from the start. (Remember how they were at each other’s throats in her restaurant?) 

Spoiler

Visiting Shin at his house. Ep 11
goblin%20kim%20sun%20not1_zpsvm9faekr.jp

Even after she had gained “her” memories after kissing the Reaper, she still refused to be bogged down by her name. In Episode 12, for example, she was indignant that Shin was being bossy just because he thought she was his donsaeng.

Spoiler

goblin%20kim%20sun%20not2_zpsr9jsmvaw.jp

And she never replied to his question whether the Reaper was really Wang Yeo. Shin demanded her twice, and she remained silent. So he assumed that she was still protecting the fool. (Which she wasn't, really.) 

Later on, in Episode 13, when she had a private tête-à-tête with Shin, she was adamant that she was no longer Kim Sun. She said, it was all in the past, lifetimes ago, and she had been living since then. She insisted that the King didn’t kill her but Kim Sun. 

Spoiler

goblin%20i%20am%20sunny_zps40wcssgt.jpg

Lastly, when she met the Reaper for the last time, in Episode 15, she introduced herself as Sunny.  Till the end, she was never comfortable identifying herself as Kim Sun. 

Spoiler

goblin%20introduce%20sunny_zpspq3moqjq.j

Bottom line: although Sunny accepted that the memories of Kim Sun could be hers, Sunny never accepted being known as Kim Sun. 

And does this have to do with the Salvation of Shin and WY you were talking about?

Yes. 

Since revealing Sunny’s true identity might anger Shin or something. (Sidenote: Going along with Kim sun is reaper/King is Sunny trajectory, how pitiful was Reaper/Kim Sun to have been emotionally burdened with the notion that he is the king haha. I mean he cried SO much because of it lol).

Yes. Consider the two: Sunny and the Reaper. Who do you think would Shin favor more? The Reaper, right? Shin couldn’t hurt the Reaper, even if he wanted to, because he had bonded with Reaper already. In his subconscious, Shin recognized his sister’s personality in the Reaper’s reticent, well-mannered, and orderly characteristics, more so than in Sunny’s abrasive personality. That’s why, even at the end, he kept wondering how his gentle sister could have been reincarnated as Sunny. 

Yes and Yes. Reaper/Queen/Kim Sun was always pitiful. And she had always been emotionally burdened. But as the Lady in Red said that’s the high price the Queen/Kim Sun had to pay.

History repeated itself.

The Queen was “punished” with death. The King wrongfully accused her of choosing to be the traitor’s sister instead of the king’s woman. So, the King walked away before she died.

Spoiler

goblin%20king%20leaving_zpsig5fkgzq.jpg

This time around, the Reaper was being punished with abandonment. Sunny chose to abandon him and leave him, out of fear of getting hurt by him again like in the previous lifetime. (But darn it! Reaper/Queen/Kim Sun had always been innocent!). So, like old history, Sunny/King walked away again from Reaper/Queen. 

Spoiler

goblin%20punishment%20final_zpsfgqx7pbq.

However, there was a slight difference. In the previous life, Yoo In Na slapped LDW angrily. This time around, YIN caressed the cheek of LDW’s character before leaving him in Episode 13.

The whole point here is that while Kim Sun is always left behind, Wang Yeo departs without a backward glance. 

Spoiler

goblin%20sunny%20leave_zpsw9tsmrpo.jpg

And yeah thanks again for the detailed answer. It does shed light on the reason why some scenes were placed in the drama. The scenes which I thought had been unnecessary seem necessary now (although I still don’t get the point of the hairclip scene with Shin’s second in command’s daughter). I wonder if KES intended this drama to be some sort of rubiks cube where it can be seen in different perspectives but the underlying answer had always been there for us viewers to solve.

As for the hairclip, I think it symbolizes the price of love…or what one is willing to pay for love.

Spoiler
Spoiler

goblin%20hairclip1_zpspyfsonfj.jpg

With the Reaper, he was willing to pay a heavy price for love over and over again with a sacrifice of his own happiness and life. For the old couple, the price was time -- because they had a long wait of 73 years before reuniting again (ha! So our ET/Shin couple wasn’t too bad with ~~ 100 years). For the daughter of Shin’s general, it meant the price of being ridiculed by her peers for proudly wearing her dad’s gift in public.

I’m sure there are other interpretations, but that’s mine. 

Spoiler

(Bedtime for me now. Gnight! Will continue with the "altered memory" post as soon as I can. Heads-up: I'll probably edit this tomorrow because I nodded off several times as I typed this. lol. I might have used a cuss word or two. :))

Re this interview with a Goblin film crew (thanks for the subs, @ucylucy) – 

I thought this portion Q&A funny, @CatWhiskers

Q: Why did the reincarnated Wang Yeo and Kim Sun forget their previous life?

A: Neither the couple nor JI Eung-Tak drank the tea of oblivion, but only Eung-Tak could retain her memory. I just guess the writer had some intention in doing so. 

My answer: WY and KS forgot their previous life even though they didn’t drink the tea because they were reincarnated.  On the other hand, ET retained her memory because she wasn’t reincarnated. She became immortal like Shin.  :wink:

Tagging the ladies:

@salz @phikyl @bebe1989 @nearsea  @vivvianne22  @letataves @naritul @dramoron@gutibear @Athenaries @kokodus @crazyoverkdrama @annnchan @romanov @rnia93 @dramoron @hushhh @ariesw @sakurayukihime  @violetpetal  @Sarang21 @maryofbethany  @staygold @violetpetal @dramu51ch0c10ve @CatWhiskers

@ireumimolla @rrmski @fikachuuu @Amber Byul @ceressi, @frankreich @am420 @emilydark  @Nerdy Mina   @CatchMine_ID 

• Like 14