[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Woahh..I'm glad today is sunday, my eyes are swollen for crying to much, I'm crying bucket.. that the subs were out and we get to be more understand about the story, I come into conclusions..

On one hand, we have our Pichi Couple

They left behind all resentment and sin in the past, walking into afterlife together, born again with the same faces, meet again as human...fall in love..no more long waiting this life time, just falling for each other deep in full speed, no stoping them. Everyone's happy...

On the other hand we have our Goblin Couple

KS: there’s no such thing as ten-thousand-years-old sadness, neither ten-thousand-years-old love
ET: I'm going to vote that there is
KS: Which one you are voting for? sadness or love?                                                                                ET: sad love..

so there you go...our ten-thousand-years-old sad love just like what ET had vote for..

However..even though It is a sad love, but it is still love, and a ten-thousand-years-old love for that matter. So they love will last for ten-thousand-years-old, we might just called it an eternity, Everyone will leave KS behind but ET will always come back and running to find him again, that's why it's sad for our great and lonely dokkaebi...but because it is love it is also the reason why they will always be okay even if it is a sad love.... No matter how many life span or how much more ET could reincarnate or whatever variables would put them together or make them apart, but some way or another, as they are meant to be.. They will, in the end meet and recognize each other again. Full memories intact

That being said, a sad love not always as bad as it may sounds.. Because when they finally meet again, they are happy.. 

Be it goblin couple or pichi couple, their happiness come in different shape..but it is still happiness for each of their own.

That's why..I think, even if it's not entirely perfect, putting aside all the flaws, if I think about it again..It's a bittersweet with happy flavors kind of ending. Not my usual type of favorite ending, but in this drama case, this kind of bittersweet ending is not too bad either way.

Of course..all of this, is only my way to interpret the ending, simply because I need to hold on and believe in something so I won't go breaking..:rolleyes: even though I still feel this emptiness inside.. Like something being roughly robbed from my heart. Hahaha

So we have like a few more pages to 1000, huh?

Everyone is awesome!B)

• Like 20

I've managed to rehydrate myself after going through the sobfest that was episode 16 again. The whole drama was, indeed, beautiful and bittersweet. 

After going through the last two episodes again, with no distractions, I can say that it was a happy ending for ShinTak, WangSun, and ShinReaper. I still feel that Kim Shin got the worst deal out of all them because he has to keep waiting for Eun Tak to be reincarnated for the next threeremaining cycles of her life. As he said in Ep. 15, after thanking GR for lighting the candles in the temple during his nine-year absence, I hope there will come a time when the deity will come to him and say "You can stop doing that now. You have done enough. Go and enjoy your bride's last life with her, live long and then be at peace together." That's how I've thought of ShinTak's happy ending so my heart could be at peace.

I just don't know what to do now. What drama can top that? 

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

Why does it feel like KS is the only one being punished when he was betrayed by his king who killed him and his queen out of jealousy? Also, you become a grim reaper if you commit suicide as punishment?! Is that really punishment? He's able to live in both worlds--doesn't seem like punishment to me.

That being said, I thought everyone had a happy ending. What is even better, is they get to relive their life again.  I thought the writer did a very good job in this drama and brought us something new and refreshing. I absolutely love the natural chemistry between the lead couple and all the actors. This was a good drama!!  Loved it!  :heart:  

• Like 14

Good morning everyone!

I just finished watching with english subtitle and it is awesome indeed. The ending will really make sense once you have the full context of it. 

I love each scenes and how the writer emphasized human sacrifice is something that cannot be predicted and it is a choice that only a person can make with their free will. That being said - ET died because its her choice to save other lives. The writer injected ET's view about life before the accident happend. 

ET: "Above all esle, every human dies at some point. That's why life is even more beautiful." 

For ET, death makes life beautiful because you will be encourage to live to the very best and as if it will be your last day.

Her death shows the reality of life. Everything is unpredicted in this world and we should live life to the fullest, up to the very end she did save people. Its a choice she made at that very moment. 

What a good take away in this series. 

AD2C2279-C1E9-4144-ADB4-E5E60BEEFC63_zps

A719DD44-DDA5-4638-AE53-5ECEBA93161A_zps

Also, when she was saying goodbye to KS she repeated what she said when Charmain Yu died, she said that people that were left behind should not be sad for long and they should smile and laugh more & live life to the very best because... 'that's the proper response to the love you were given.'

49F8F391-375E-498B-87D8-AA00EB203C95_zps

The words used are amazing. Everyone can relate to this and these learnings can help us in our lives. 

This words will not make sense if ET didn't die. It has a big impact because she did die. Then KS on his part live life and waited for her comeback.

Deabak. Deabak. Deabak! 

I am happy now with the ending. And i think i understand what the writer wants to happen. 

Looking forward to hear amazing reports for the ratings and the upcoming awards of this show. I am sure there will be a lot. Let's claim it!

• Like 22

LOVE THAT LAST FOR ETERNITY... :heart:

Whatever the opinion is, i love this drama. I love the end, i think it fits the theme about the cycle of life and death,and how we should face it. 

What got me the shiver of how deep the writer wrote this is the moment when grim reaper told the female grim reaper on why they became grim reaper in first place and what god intention is for them. Gosh, its a beautiful thing to put. For someone who hate their life seeing this drama should make them appreciate more on what life has to offer. 

This drama is very deep,and writernim has been generous to give us romance that kim shin longing to eun tak being a bride in real marriage and even they sing together! I felt like KES does lurk in net or maybe exactly in this forum :)

Life is a cycle,sometimes you're happy sometimes you don't,and sometimes you meet and sometimes you part with ones you love,what we should do is living the best we can.

Love love love this drama,the only sad ending for me is this drama to end. 

Final note.

Thank you KES for making this story,PDnim to make beautiful scenes, and for all the cast to act superbly and all the staff that do every detail to make all episodes happened.and all the sponsor that makes this drama deliver to its max xD 

And i'll miss all discussion here in soompi,without you all i'll feel alone enjoying this drama x) . May we meet in other drama forum :) 

@naritul thanks for tagging me, hope to see you in other thread also :wink: congrats on being legend ^^

• Like 15

After a sleep, I can think rationally and assume :

1. Why Goblin cant be mortal? 

In the limbo, snow and sahara, he's trapped between death and life. Samshin and God ask him to sleep and rest. There is no other way for him to be "human" because he should die at that time and he CHOOSES not to, he wants to stay being snowfall or rain and still having contract with his bride.

2. Why Euntak should die?

Euntak will be missing soul forever if she didnt die. It means she should die to lose this title.She has life as Ji Eun Tak to pull the sword out, and she did it. It means her task is already gone, then the reicarnation of ET is having the other destiny because she didnt have special task or saved by goblin or should meet GR or whatever to threat herself, so she is FREE but still having memory of her past without regret

3. Why GR-Sunny must die?

No regret, they have sorrowful life before, to start everything to be happy they should end the tie first and start again.

Euntak soul will live forever with Goblin inside, so her life cycle will be his bride forever. And that's she said before, she even wants to be "200 years" bride of Goblin. 

:blush:

• Like 24

Alright folks, I need your help here to clear out the air for me. It's either the subs are messing with me, or I'm not getting the facts clearly.

Ep 16 -- When ET is in the tea room, she asked which lifetime is she in, in this life. The GR said it's her 1st. But isn't it weird cause KS and had memories of ET back at the episode when ET graduated? He even confirmed this in Ep 15 about how she crossed path with him during the Geoyo era.

So this must be at least ET 2nd or 3rd life time? How can it be her 1st?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

Why does it feel like KS is the only one being punished when he was betrayed by his king who killed him and his queen out of jealousy? Also, you become a grim reaper if you commit suicide as punishment?! Is that really punishment? He's able to live in both worlds--doesn't seem like punishment to me.

That being said, I thought everyone had a happy ending. What is even better, is they get to relive their life again.  I thought the writer did a very good job in this drama and brought us something new and refreshing. I absolutely love the natural chemistry between the lead couple and all the actors. This was a good drama!!  Loved it!  :heart:  

I guess KES had some really traumatic experience in her relation ship to god! Her version of god is quite dreary I must say.

PS: But I have already invested a little too much into the drama and won't think anymore about the nonsensical finale. I hope ET says true to her last words and begs the cruel insensitive deity to give her a long life next time. Meanwhile, goblin would keep loitering in the sad lonely roads and alleys of seoul thinking about his sad love.:S

Edited by nearsea
  • Like 5

On 1/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, rosamundekingsley99_stv said:

I don't know that it was necessarily a sad ending because it came full circle.  I don't know that we understand what "eternity" actually is and this drama wrestled with all our cultural interpretations, longings, resentments and joys.

The key message probably is to live in the moment and to make sure that those you love know that you love them.  Don't get lost in the small petty things as the deities do and often times, human beings do, as we witnessed whenever the Grim Reaper sent people off.

Waiting is important even when we don't know what exactly we are waiting for and being comfortable with that lack of knowledge - that is maturity.

It was not a sad ending, I don't think so either. It is SAD LOVE because it was the bet that ET made to KS when they came back to Quebec the 2nd time. The concern was if there is such thing as a 1000 yr old sadness/1000 yr old love. KS asked her which one would she pick. And she said sad love. It was mentioned again in Episode 15. But ET and KS are enduring it. With a love that overcomes centuries of waiting. Her reincarnation will be able to live with KS for 80 yrs. Their love will grow deeper even more. And in the next lifetime too. 

For me, while waiting for subs, I've been doing a lot of thinking. It's strangely beautiful to wait for your forever love. It's captivatingly beautiful. I hope in the next lifetime, KS will ask the deity for another door. For him to be human again.

I hope that this is what KES is portraying. The romantic in me believes that a selfless love overcomes every trial and tribulation. KS has overcomed all and his undying love for ETs soul is powerful. So, love and live today as you have received love. 

I'm still waiting for subs to complete but I already started watching Episode 15 and cried because its such a good episode. Gah! I'm going to be a mess at church tomorrow. I'm going to make sure to use my eye roller lol! 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, bluestrudels said:

Alright folks, I need your help here to clear out the air for me. It's either the subs are messing with me, or I'm not getting the facts clearly.

Ep 16 -- When ET is in the tea room, she asked which lifetime is she in, in this life. The GR said it's her 1st. But isn't it weird cause KS and had memories of ET back at the episode when ET graduated? He even confirmed this in Ep 15 about how she crossed path with him during the Geoyo era.

It is ET's first life. KS's memory was of seeing Eun Tak in the future through the eyes of the previous incarnation of ET's homeroom teacher during the Joseon era. This was also the scene where KS describes a mobile phone to his servant and advises him to invest in that technology.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, bluestrudels said:

she really were crossed path with him during in the past. She was in the future that being foresaw by KS from her teacher... She was there, in the future of the teacher (it's the teacher who has lived in Josoen era -not goryeo btw-) he wasn't even aware about that fact until he crosspathed with this teacher in this era...so he then realized that he already met her first love long before ET was born, which is ET herself.

Hope it help..

• Like 7

So it has ended.

I finished watching 14 this morning.  I couldn’t finish it last night because the video and subtitles went out of sync at the moment when the scene repeat/overlapped. I’ve watch about ½ of ep15, again my video and subtitles went out of sync when Sunny met Wang Yeo.  And I watched 16 in its entirety.

Response to the last three or so episodes.

@selenette

@phikyl

@packmule3

Spoiler

1.     I wasn’t surprised that Sunny’s memory hadn’t been wiped.  It was clear when she saw Kim Shin in Ep14 she knew what was going on.

2.     In the way that many people love DH, I love Secretary/CEO Kim.  That actor caught my affection with so little time on screen.  I felt as if he were the only true father figure he had.  The uncles were not able to raise him, and his grandfather seem a little distant/busy for the day-to-day parenting and discipline DH needed. Secretary/CEO Kim did that for him.

3.     Since Kim is still the CEO I guess DH hadn’t matured into the job [or the actor’s schedule didn’t allow or he wasn’t up to pulling off the 30 year aging]

4.     The story Core was situated in the three leads, Kim Shin, Wang Yeo, Ji Eun Tak.  Kim Shim was the tent pole and all the lead characters while having their own growth arc was there to facilitate Shin’s growth.  In my evaluation Sunny was a foil, a mcguffin, more than she was a fully rounded character with her own desires, drives and needs.  This is not a slam on YIN or even at the writer.  That is just how the story looks to me.  If you have narrative structural evidence that would prove me wrong, I’m fine with you sharing—so long as you are not attacking me or my opinions. Even with the female actors doing a good job, Sunny was just the reason for the conflict. 

5.     Sunny’s disappearing was another sign of the character not being satisfyingly conceived. Her departure should have been more than another opportunity of LDW to cry, even if he does it well. 

6.     The passivity of Wang Yeo character was consistent throughout.  He never reeeeaccccched for what he wanted. He would gesture towards it, and with the slightest resistance he would withdraw and cry.  Played by a less charismatic actor the character would be unbearable.

7.     I enjoyed the Goryeo story but I’m not sure the characters were that well developed. The acting made it easy to overlook the flaw, but Wang Yeo just shouted, PJH schemed, (why no idea.  Yeah, he wanted power, but why?) the Queen loved, but I have no idea what she wanted.  Shin was the only developed character in Goryeo, but that doesn’t count because his Goryeo character is the same as his contemporary character.

8.     I think the North/South couple was there to show that if your life was lived well, [you weren’t a nasty SOB] and you love was strong, then keeping your memories can have a good outcome. I appreciated Eun Tak’s refusal of the forgetting tea so that she could find Shin again.

9.     I was bothered that Wang Yeo didn’t offer Sunny the forgetting tea.  I’m sure she would have refused, but the choice should have been hers.  Perhaps the creative team thought having her refuse would be anti-climatic because Eun-Tak had already had an emotional scene refusing the tea.

10. Anyone who has read my post will know that I am obsessed by the class president. This series has ended with my curiosity unmet.  If she was there to show that Eun-Tak can have normal friendships with ordinary people I don’t feel as if she was integrated into the story well enough.  I feel as if she was cast to have a greater part in the story and they didn’t have the time or focus to develop that.

I assume that Goblin in the protagonist not only because of the title but also because of how the story played out.

Of the six (or seven depending on who is counting) narrative conflicts I would say the overarching one is Person vs. Fate/god/supernatural.

Other less inclusive narrative conflicts showed up along the way i.e. person vs. machine/technology, the Grim Weeper and his telephone.

I haven’t been able to settle on a story time for Goblin’s journey.

Wang Yeo’s story is a rebirth narrative, except it is a ridiculously passive one. Instead of changing he waits out time. Maybe his loving is the change and I can’t see it because I left he love the Queen in the Goryeo period.

At some point Goblin’s story could be considered an overcoming the monster story if we consider fate/destiny the monster.

But in some ways Goblin’s story can be seen as a mistaken quest narrative.  Goblin’s quest was for death—that’s what he thought he wanted, but in truth what he wanted was love and life, and once he realized that he had to fight like hell to get it.  I’m not sure that is right but it is the best I can do.

I often try to figure out what it is that writers want their audience to believe about the world and the human conditions.

Sometimes these values can be culturally constructed and it is hard to discern them, or their nuances, if you are not a member of that culture.  To paraphrase Shakespeare “the Everlasting has fixed His canon 'gainst self-slaughter!” but I don’t personally believe that suicide is a sin worth 600 years in hell and 300 years plus on probation as a grim reaper as a form of divine punishment. The stumbling block is not the fact that a culture believes that suicide requires awful punishment but the way it is presented in the drama suggest that it is the WORST possible sin and gets the worst punishment. If I knew it to be bad but there were other sins that were punished more harshly I'd be more accepting.

Thematically drama  . . .

a-puts forth the idea that human desires coupled with actions are stronger than fate/destiny or human will can defy god’s scripts.

b-reinforced the idea the gods, to human understanding, are capricious or worse mercurial.

c-affirms that (true/fated) love survives death.  We had seen that with Wang Yeo and Sunny, it is redundant with Shin and Eun Tak.

Looking at episodes 14, 15, 16 after Shin’s death there are questions in my mind what they are suppose to show us.

-If it is “a” then Shin’s will allowed him to return. Yeah! But what is the point of Eun-Tak death?  If Eun-Tak’s death is to show us “c” it seems gratutious and redundant because the blindman and his dog, the North South couple and Wang Yeo and Sunny have showed up that repeatedly.

I know when I first see/read a piece I am bringing my own value to it.  On each subsequently I hope to meet the story where it is and look at its internal logic and values.  Maybe on another viewing I’ll think differently.

If anyone has any idea how Eun-Tak’s death enriches the story, with textual evidence I’d be interested in reading it.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, jellybellymonster said:

I haven't been able to join you guys during liverecap of the last 3 episodes because I am on vacation. But I still can't resist watching Goblin. 

Truthfully, I was really worried what KES is up to when episode 13 ended like that because she had 3 more episodes to work with. I thought she will tie up everything nicely. I don't know... I still need the subbed episode but I am just so dissatisfied with the ending. It feels utterly pointless to have KS go through all of that again and again. Ad infinitum. Sure, there's ET to look forward to. But still, nothing got resolved.

Anyway, I had real fun in this thread! I hope to see you in another drama thread! 

@naritul @itzibitzispider many thanks for keeping me updated on today's episode while the mobile "wife rental" device's battery went out. And also for our daily conversations. 

@turtle0217 chinguyaaaa the poetry book already arrived first week of January. Sooo nice! I'm just lazy to post pictures. Hehe. @valzki the book looks like just how it did in the drama. There's just a tvn slip that you can remove. 

I just order mine and it's on it's way. I'm soo excited! Even when the drama ends, I'm still going to be reading and carrying that book around like I am to the other one. :lol:

It finally ended! Thank you everyone for all the live recap. I was up reading the recaps and watching little clips here and there on youtube, but I got soo tired, I went to bed right after EunTak remember and she was running around Quebec looking for Kim Shin. 

I woke up to some good scenes that I missed out on Episode 15, but gosh.. Episode 16 got my crying.. :bawling:

Could someone explain to me why she return? I mean I understand she got to keep her memories.. I'm just lost.. So she returns and finds him again, becomes the goblin bride and everything repeats? :confused: 

• Like 5

I've only watched ep15 so far, and I appreciated it much more because I got a clearer sense of where the story is heading... and I like it. I realise that the show is really about how our characters exert their will power to chart their own paths against the destiny set for them by God/the deities. In that sense, what happened with Park Joong Won was just a detour from the larger story that was being told.

Here are my thoughts on ep15: https://kdramaanalysis.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/the-lonely-and-shining-goblin-episode-15/

I haven't read the comments on ep16, but from what I've glossed, it looks like a sad ending! Going to watch it now, but thought I'd process my thoughts on ep15 first before going on.. 

• Like 5