[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

merry christmas all!!!!

after watching the latest eps, my tots:

1. resolved issue on why KS was being labelled as a traitor in ep1.

2. resolved issues on GR being the WY and Sunny as Queen (to me at least), Queen was KS sis.

3. Lady Red's warning. ball now is in KS court. (although am kinda of losing interest in KS-ET loveline, would still like to know if KS would really dies once sword removed)

4. love love love all of WY-Sunny scenes.

5. our 3 dorks, esp KS-WY and their antics. their constant declaration to live happily together just like before. if there is no Sunny, i would say go ahead you both are perfect for each other.

ep7 was kinda of like a filler ep and ep8 picked up the pace with more background for our cast.

• Like 15

48 minutes ago, selenette said:

I'm sure many people here have known this already, but the names written here are KIM SUN 金善  (on the left) and WANG YEO 王 黎 (on the right).

IMG_20161225_172630.jpg

Now onto the name meanings.

A. KIM SUN

from KIM  金 = gold, iron

and SUN  善 = virtuous, good, charitable, kindness

---> GOLDEN VIRTUE, GOLDEN KINDNESS

B. WANG YEO

from WANG 王 = king (Note:  the three horizontal strokes are Heaven, Man and Earth. The vertical stroke is the king, the one who connects them together. )

and YEO    = dark, black, many people

---> THE DARK KING, THE KING OF MANY PEOPLE

Cmiiw. 

Edit: @LyraYoo  thank you for the deeply insightful post on the King and Kim Shin!

@hushhh  Greetings! I am a Yoo In-na and Sunny fan, but I agree with you completely that the writer has to give this character more depths! Especially if she really was the Queen. 

Thanku for the deep meaning of thr names it actually gives much clear clues wht might hapn with KS jst by him writing thr names...

• Like 7

7 hours ago, sally_b said:

After re-watching episodes 7 & 8 - there are SO many things going on and clues & foreshadowing - it can't be deciphered and it's thrilling.

In episode 8, when Kim Shin receives the 'damned-sword' from the young King ~ I think it's easy to interpret, at first glance, that the King is ordering Shin to a self-inflicted death.

But upon the 2nd viewing, it's much more subtle ---

Hide contents

It's like, the King keep trying to notify him of the situation by dropping many subtle hints but KS still didn't get it.

Perhaps Kim Shin was "banished" by the King for his own safety in mind. Or something bad will happen to his sister and loved ones if KS stay in the palace, and the King can't stressed on that enough because the evil eunuch is spying on every movement he make at that time.

You're right. If the King is driven solely by jealousy, he could have just command KS to drink poison or kill himself right away and die honorably. 

• Like 10

Hello, everyone! I have been following this topic since I've been watching Goblin since the start. But wanted to join the conversations because too much feels!!! :bawling:

I love this drama with all my heart honestly. Every character is just so loveable. And human. They are all so human with all of their sadness, happiness, hopes etc. I am so invested in their lives it's crazy.

And the writing is so amazing. It seems like every scene (even the PPL scenes lol), every line has a purpose and it's so clever.

This whole drama has a melancholy feeling to it and I absolutely enjoy it. 

My only complain is that there is not much Sunny&Reaper scenes... :(((( It's already half of the series...please more progress....:cry:

And I am really curious about Deok Hwa. The scene where he read Shin's letter was so sad :(( He has a playful and almost a childish character but this isn't all. Remember when he cried so much after he heard Shin left? Uh I just hope he won't feel so betrayed since he knew nothing about Shin...and come to learn about him from other people :(((

• Like 14

im watching with subs,sometimes im confused the lady in red positions,sometimes she is god,guardian to eun tak,higher position than goblin and even grim reaper cannot recognized her,seems she is like the one/god of creation ect.but the scene that confused me lately in eps 8 is when kim shin saved the old man who want to murder himself by hanging in the door

1.he want to suicide,kim shin has an ability to see the future,kim shin saved him (for my point of view)

2.the daughter of man who want to kill himself came because the lady in red

3.at the end the lady in red seems a bit angry to kim shin because he too much involved in people lives destiny (eun tak also)

but isnt the point 1 is happening because lady in red want to happen (even though kim shin said because of the girl came ,he didnt kill himself)

also the variable about eun tak didnt die on bus,kim shin point of view she wasnt in incident,also grim reaper didnt have a list of her name .so maybe even when kim shin didnt medling with thief she is still alive (eun tak future still happen in canada)

kim eun sook what did you do with the scenario here,i hope youre come with big suprise !!! this drama is too good!!!

• Like 9

Merry Christmas everyone!.. .Gosh, was a away for a day or two and there is 100 pages to read :blink:.... i dont think i will read all the back pages.

Just wanna say how sad the ending is, and i'm sure the lady in red is probably also helping KS. We dont really know what's gonna happen if ET took out the sword.. He could be reincarnated for all we know.. but of course, being a drama we need to find out in the next few episodes.

Have a happy holiday!

• Like 8

First time posting here,

Got hooked by this drama from 1st episode. Thank God for gong Yoo and kim go Eun, their natural chemistry totally amazing. I can watch both of them just staring at each other In this drama and i Will never get bored. the ost totally on Top. All songs and bgm music are so on point with scenes. Now i can't wait for Kim Shin and Eun tak first time meeting after they knew about the truth.

Btw is there any hint about letter that eun tak send from the hotel when they are In Quebec?

Merry Christmas all !! 

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, ChunSungIm said:

im watching with subs,sometimes im confused the lady in red positions,sometimes she is god,guardian to eun tak,higher position than goblin and even grim reaper cannot recognized her,seems she is like the one/god of creation ect.but the scene that confused me lately in eps 8 is when kim shin saved the old man who want to murder himself by hanging in the door

1.he want to suicide,kim shin has an ability to see the future,kim shin saved him (for my point of view)

3.at the end the lady in red seems a bit angry to kim shin because he too much involved in people lives destiny (eun tak also)

but isnt the point 1 is happening because lady in red want to happen (even though kim shin said because of the girl came ,he didnt kill himself)

also the variable about eun tak didnt die on bus,kim shin point of view she wasnt in incident,also grim reaper didnt have a list of her name .so maybe even when kim shin didnt medling with thief she is still alive (eun tak future still happen in canada)

kim eun sook what did you do with the scenario here,i hope youre come with big suprise !!! this drama is too good!!!

I think the red lady is okey if he's involved in some people's destiny, the thing now is that there are to many people involved, is not the first time Goblin involved in normal people's destiny but i don't think ever happened with so many people at once.

• Like 7

Hmmm anyone knows the significance of releasing a sky paper lantern? Like what purpose does it carry though? 

Plus.. KS does it often by writing their names ( King and his sister's names) and releasing it to the sky. 

• Like 6

As if everything was not complicated enough here comes the either you die or she dies stroke.  Why KES,  why?  I mean... I thought that KS-ET relationship was melo enough with the clause that he dies as soon as she pulls the sword but now she will if she does not.  That was not something we agreed upon. Although it does bring a more poignant,  poetic turn in the story which is ........well beautiful. They will both refuse to let the other die and that angst in between can be so enticing.  But please, no noble idiocy , no running away or being rude or pretending to hate the other or anything, anything at all.  Show us the beauty in this pain , the burning passion to live, the fierceness that is first love . Let KS fight for his happiness,  their survival and not just duck in a cave asking to be killed. Please KES,  a happy ending for them. 

WY and Sunny's story is definitely in Red Lady's words " tragic and sad ". Just when their past lives will catch up on them,  threatening  this cute rapport  they share is something  I don't want to think about. Atleast KS and ET have to fight the demons around them for survival but these two have to fight themselves. He was the one who ordered her killed,  her family killed and branded her brother a traitor. How is she even supposed to forgive him,  how will KS forgive him?  Anything possible just seems too far away and the angst here is going to be a tearjerker. This story is a drama in itself. The cute quirky rapport  they share now is so lovable,  I don't want it gone.  But we were promised a mysterious and enthralling  love story from these two,  so I am keeping my hopes up for a nice end. I want to write so much about these but currently  I lack words to describe my love for this undying tragic tale . I will get back on this for sure. 

I just want these 4 , DH included to be a big happy family with a lots of knife fights, and chicken and bickering and cancelled credit cards and loads of love and please for heavens sake no amnesia or reincarnation. I will take the ending with the 4 of them departing to heaven over this anyday. 

I am a newbie here and I believe this is my first post so, Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. 

P. S. I just edited this post because I don't know why but I got cut off the first time. 

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, ChunSungIm said:

In Korean folklore, there is Samshin grandmother, who is a god in charge of birth and death of humans. She's a powerful one, she created Euntaek because she warns ET's mother ahead and told ET's mother to sincerely pray when in trouble, that's how Goblin heard it and save her. That's why everyone is her child, like Goblin also said he was born as Kim Shin who is also her child. 

We see throughout that the lady in red is always helping children, being guardian. 

I think this article will explain it more perfectly:

Spoiler

The reason why the grandmother in Goblin sometimes appear as a woman

It's not because that's her power or supertition or anything else, it depends on the age of the person who sees her.
She looks like a grandmother to kids (up to17 years old..?) and women who are pregnant, and she looks like a woman to adults.

downloadfile%2B%25281%2529.jpeg
Sungjae saw her as a grandmother when he was still a student and she appeared as a young woman in his eyes when he turned into an adult.

Y9ZQXgn7a_-RSpaq9sXvsOoHRygHPPbUTnZ28ewqC5U5kEasLR45O8jZFxEU96-agSPvasgMvGywVp7b69YTApHliSPXVSGs5MkwbzUoDeqckhPLejfJpybXHIGSOcqqjztrp1jE_w=s0-d
That's why that girl she met in the hospital greeted her "Hello, grandma!". 

And she appeared as a grandmother in Goeun's mother's eyes because she was pregnant at that time..

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, realistic2280 said:

@hamaji - welcome to Soompi and drama thread, specifically in this  Goblin's thread..... :)

Thank you! Fiuuuh.. after being a silent reader all this time finally.. :)

What i love from this thread is the analysis, speculation, fangirling moments for both couple. Keep it coming guys!

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, ChunSungIm said:

I think the lady in red is more like a guardian for children, since her scenes mostly involved helping children whether she's directly interfering their life and death or not ( they didn't show whether the sick boy in the hospital alive or not after she touched the boy's forehead) but her action in general was reducing the suffering of the children.

Though i don't know why she's meddling with the grim reaper and sunny, was it because they related to the Goblin who in relation with ET, since she was ET's guardian.

My theory is her warning to goblin prob because Goblin was meddling human's destiny by changing the future and that can cause more danger ahead.

Somehow ET's mark fading and her faith changing involving in the bus accident when she shouldn't be, began when he shoved her away to prevent her pulling the sword. Interesting...

• Like 8