[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

Spoiler

6 hours ago, camichi said:

@hyall Hi Hyall.  I don’t think that @vaberella  is from Haiti because sometimes she writes some phrases and words in Spanish. So she is not from there because Haiti people speak French.Till now I haven’t seen any insult or offense here. This is my opinion.

Reading about the cultures of others countries and watching interviews of people that have live in Korea is a good way to learn about, believe me.  All Asian countries are not the same and they dont act and live the same way like not all Americans countries are the same. 

My Mon used to watch Mexican, Colombian and Venezuelan Soup operas and these are very close to reality, some of them could be bad and others could be very good. I did not use to watch them because  I considered them TV garbage, too much real and the reality is already very hard. In my country we are very opened mind about almost everything, for us couples living without get  married is very common and normal, talk about sexuality too, we are not a homophobic or racist society.

Four years ago in a TV channel in my country were transmitting 2 Korean dramas and for casual I meet they and I liked them a lot (Gentleman dignity and Brilliant Inheritance) and I fall for Korean dramas since then. Why I love Korean dramas is because they show the values of the family, the respect for the grown-up. They don’t show sexual scenes that could seem vulgar or grotesque like in Latin-American soup operas and the production, the  actors and actresses are very good. 

This is an international forum and I can understand that each one could have different opinions about almost everything and I am sure nobody here  have the intention to insult or offense.

Actually I am from Haiti.  I speak English, French, Haitian-Creole. I also, speak and understand all the other variations of Creole like Guadaloupe (Mauritius & Seychelles---are the most complex--- they have a heavy Indian & African dialectical influence).  I understand a lot of Spanish---I have Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban family--I write a bit.  I was learning a lot of Thai since I used sub for Thai shows (I corrected the English and timed).  As a child I was raised on Japanese television and movies because my dad was a Judo sensei...overall lots of East Asian culture because of that---you don't want to see my house. Kadachies, Katanas, stuff that's not even for Judo; scary stuff here. Animes, since I was a teen (I'm in my 30s). Indian television when I was 8 because my aunt loves them and I lived with them for 2 years. Yes, I move into Bollywood---but I have so Tollywood now it's crazy. I obsess over Telugu movies. As I got older, I fell in love with Venezuelan & Brazilian (raunchiest) television.  While going to college in England...it was Spanish, Italian, Greek and German television.  My most recent love and life----made from the gods----Turkish television.  I don't know where the eyes of these people come from. Stunning. The stories are stunning. Long live Turkey.  Turkish television is something else. 

Spoiler

I never said this...if you're interested in a good Turkish show just pm me. Most aren't subbed. Anyway, no subbed needed.  Yeah, that good.

In any event, I have multicultural blood, my family is multicultural; therefore my tastes are multicultural and my opinion on people are multicultural. To the mods, I do not plan on belabouring this topic therefore I plan on just answering a few points. 

Backstory Complete

@hyall

*I explicitly stated that it was not to scold anyone or you.  That was not the point of my statement. 

1. I made no assumption that you are from the west.  You could be from my country and raised in the west.  You could have been from Canada and raised in Timbuktu or you could be from San Juan for all I know.  I'm what one would call a relativist.   

2.  Therefore I find when people touch on cultural specifics in such a black and white way (Oh she's old enough come on-"kind of way"----versus maybe opening a discussion on what we could discuss what might be a form of modernity)

-I think what was lost in translation from me to you (and definitely due to my language)---which I take responsibility for.  My annoyance and "insult" is not coming from you, it's the statement in the sense that it's not questioning; it's a statement, not a question.  I think as a question it would have been great.

All three girls are working and paying their fair share.  MY was paying by working in the shop before she got the job as an intern.  Therefore, everyone was donating, except for JY. For FIVE years, he was able to contribute nothing, why? As the older brother, as the older male--after his father, why is he allowed to do this? Where is he getting his allowance to do this?  

I think this was my problem.  Then we would be able to talk about why is HY still bending to the rules of not only her parents but also JH(?)'s mother?

3. Ah, does being Haitian separate me from Asian culture? 

a. In history we were not at times variously face colonization? 

b. Did we not both face forms of enslavement? 

c. Did we not have famines, wars-independence, civil, protective, etc.? 

d. We don't have an instructional language & dialectical? 

Yeah, we like to think we're different. A boundary of water doesn't make us different Sir/Madam...a social constructive mindset does.    

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderator Note:

I don't think anyone is trying to push their cultural norms on to anyone else. Soompi is a big forum with members from different countries, different belief systems and all walks of life. We are inclusive, and members on a whole are very welcoming of each others ideas and commentary. 

With that being said, let's keep the discourse civil and not point fingers or put words in each others mouths. 

I hope you can bring this tread back on topic. Anything off topic can be discussed via the PM system or in the General DIscussion forum. 

Thank you all 

Happy viewing :) 

If I have already decided to break up with someone and I care about them I would not reveal that I'm leaving them because of what his mother has done . You cannot break up a parent and their child and especially when you're not going to stick around for the consequences of what you say. Telling him about the mother is a selfish reason one does that to make oneself feel justified about their decision but it does not help the person and their relationship with their mother. Pity that the same reason has surfaced to ruin their relationship.

As for the eldest brother he is really quite a slacker for so many years he has been mooching off everyone and even stealing things from the household to cook for the girlfriend , he is not a responsible person because he has been given a pass by the whole family and that is also their fault. They should not have been so forgiving of his failures but I saw this even in the Gab Soon drama with Gab Dol taking 10 years to pass.

As for Mi Yeoung and Joong Yee not sure how they are going to solve the faux brother and sister relationship that is bound to crop up soon.

Just thinking, the brother said YJ was sweet, but HY is so smart, she said to her sisters, if she came over to announce her pregnancy to our parents, she is not a sweet gentle person. And we know that is true.  YJ is also mysterious about her parents. She says she doesn't have parents and JY assumes they are deceased (but she doesn't really say anything about them), so there is stuff we need to learn about her. She has no family. That will not settle well with his parents. They will surely question her more than YJ did. Also, why was she such a bully in school, and why did she continue to bully and hate MY?  I really want her to break up with JY but she on the other hand has set up a list of goals for him already and will  keep him on track and make him achieve something, yet she could also make his life miserable if her bossy bully side rises to the surface and she hen pecks him.   YJ will now have to give MY a good report at work. 

2 hours ago, hyall said:

Except for the size Al reminds me of Chenmo from "Love me if you Dare" the fantastic Chinese drama. I wonder if Joong Hee will also use Al to deliver a flower.

It would be so cute:wub: just by imagining it.....I love Joonghee & Al but his story is the slowest one right now, we can't comment anything about him and Miyoung yet, their screentime together is too short and little when they supposed to be the second main couple, I guess they are not the second, maybe the third, or fourth or fifth couple in this drama/? I hope he get hemorrhoid again so we can see him more lol just kidding :lol:

When Papa Byun disown Joonyoung, the eldest bro, I know he has thinking about getting another son in his mind during that time ;D it's a bliss to see him became so happy over news of Ahn Joonghee landing a role in mini drama, 'it's like Joonyoung had finally passed the exam' s to him imo

Can't wait to see the three sisters ganging up against Yoojoo, finally her karma will be returned to her -_-

Hello Chingus,

Been watching this drama as my to fill my weeknd spot. So far I m liking this one particularly the pace of the drama which seems to be going pretty fast despite the fact that it is 50 episodes. 

As of now I am more interested in HY and JH. I wonder if they have actually broken up or it was just a heated moment from HY.

In terms to YooJoo, I wonder if the sisters will like her and what will they do if they find her real face and being a bully.

Ps is it about time AJH move to Byun house or probably in next 5 episodes since he have finally landed on the mini series he so desperately wanted to do. 

6 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

It would be so cute:wub: just by imagining it.....I love Joonghee & Al but his story is the slowest one right now, we can't comment anything about him and Miyoung yet, their screentime together is too short and little when they supposed to be the second main couple, I guess they are not the second, maybe the third, or fourth or fifth couple in this drama/? I hope he get hemorrhoid again so we can see him more lol just kidding :lol:

When Papa Byun disown Joonyoung, the eldest bro, I know he has thinking about getting another son in his mind during that time ;D it's a bliss to see him became so happy over news of Ahn Joonghee landing a role in mini drama, 'it's like Joonyoung had finally passed the exam' s to him imo

Can't wait to see the three sisters ganging up against Yoojoo, finally her karma will be returned to her -_-

:heart: I want more screentime of Joong Hee and Mi Young. :heart:  They need romance.   The zebra woman is getting more time than them.

6 hours ago, camichi said:

:heart: I want more screentime of Joong Hee and Mi Young. :heart:  They need romance.   The zebra woman is getting more time than them.

me too~ Joonghee is not a jerk to Miyoung anymore, he didn't accept her yet but he slowly getting too since Miyoung is such a kind girl and very nice to him. I realized he calls her "Judo" and even save her name as Judo in his handphone lol :lol: I got the feeling that even if Yoojoo give Miyoung very low mark in her internship score, Joonghee will stand up for her because he need her as his intern, and I'm hoping for the love blooming between the two:wub:

2 hours ago, sergel02 said:

I'm a little confused, who is the main couple in this show?

In Five Enough it was Mi-Jung and San-tae, and in Gentlemen it was Don-Jin and Yong-sil. Who is it in this one?

From news about the drama and synopsis I expected Joong Hee to be the lead, he was announced to be the male lead, the main story is also about him, his past, his career and how he moved to that family house claiming he is their son. But from the few first episodes the focus is on Hye Young and Cha Jung Hwan couple. So I don't know if those two will be the main lead till the end, or the drama ll move to another couple or it is actually about more than just 1 or 2 couples and it is about the family itself and the love/work life of their children so the focus will move from one to another.

There is also the fact of what viewers want, so the PD and writer can give more screen time to the more wanted characters. But I think they are being unfair to Joong Hee and Mi Young, they are really good to have the less screen time and shortest moments, they are really my favorite and I think their story is the most interesting, so I hope they ll have their time later (not so late) in the drama knwoing that the drama didn't reach its main point yet.

4 hours ago, sergel02 said:

I'm a little confused, who is the main couple in this show?

In Five Enough it was Mi-Jung and San-tae, and in Gentlemen it was Don-Jin and Yong-sil. Who is it in this one?

I think the main couple is Hyeyoung & Junghwan, the second and third couple is either Rayoung & Cheolsoo or Miyoung & Joonghee.. or it could be Joonyoung & Yoojoo, Na Youngshil & Byun Hansoo, Junghwan's omma & appa seems like the main couple of the show too lol #jk

4 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

I think the main couple is Hyeyoung & Junghwan, the second and third couple is either Rayoung & Cheolsoo or Miyoung & Joonghee.. or it could be Joonyoung & Yoojoo, Na Youngshil & Byun Hansoo, Junghwan's omma & appa seems like the main couple of the show too lol #jk

None of them, or all of the above      

Thanks for posting the preview!

Translation:

- HY: 8 years ago, it was because of your mother. And this time, it's because of your mother, too.

- JH: I apologize on behalf of my mother. I deeply apologize.

- RY (voiceover): Someone would say that he was coming to meet his future in-laws.

- Mom: The son does not resemble his mother. He was actually pretty great.

- HY: So I said I'm breaking up with you, and you really break up with me?

- JY: Yoo Joo and MY work at the same company.

- YJ: Let's go, MY.

- MY: Stop that right now.

- YJ: This is the time to enjoy the advantages of friendship.

- Joong-Hee: someone tells him he read it badly, and then someone else tells him that he can get fired after being cast.

The final dialogue is: As I live my life, I just wanted to see my father. (finally he meets the whole family!)

--

Yay, HY! It looks like she tells JH about how his mother meddled. We were all thinking that she would not, but she did! I love how this show deals with stuff quickly!

It was funny how HY didn't really break up with JH. But I don't really like how the show is saying that if a woman dumps a man, that she doesn't really mean it, it just means he needs to try harder. (YJ did this, too.) Way to give a thumbs-up to future stalkers!

Ugh, Yoo Joo. Kissing MY's butt now? It's not going to be so easy, girl.

Chingus, maybe i am getting crazy but a read somewhere that there was something strange in episode 3 when Hon Soo and Yung Shil went to visit their friend s grave. I went back to episode 3, and  The thing is that YS is telling his friend that thanks to him,  his family are doing well,  then in minute 36:48 He said to his friend that Mi Young had gotten a job. Why was Mi Young the Only person he mentioned to his friend? I think I am letting my imagination to fly.:wacko:

Archived