[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG this drama breaks every normal rule of Kdrama where they drag everything I never expected Mi Yeong to meet her that quick....wow cannot wait for next week. I love it and I love how Hye Young stood her ground and why she broke up all those years ago. Everything about this weekend drama has been exciting and ground breaking they are actually shattering my expectations every week by doing the unexpected.

I am very interested to see how Yoo Joo is going to handle Mi Young and what will Mi Yeong say since only Hye Yeong knows of her bullying.Will she identify who her bully was ? I was thinking they would keep these two from confronting each other to drag the horrible office bullying but instead they turned the tables.... good writing and totally unexpected turn of events.

I also was surprised how Hye Yeong was so insistent and how she forced that awful woman to accept her terms and that woman totally deserves it and I can see she envies Mrs. Byun and how her husband and family loves her when her own husband is a horrid person.

"Father is Strange" increases again

photo837428.jpg

"Father is Strange" has been going up life crazy.

According to Nielsen Korea, KBS 2TV drama "Father is Strange" rated 26.8%. This is a 3.5% increase compared to the previous episode. It's getting close to 30%.

"Father is Strange" Byeon Hye-yeong (Lee Yu-ri) broke up with Cha Jeong-hwan (Ryoo Soo-yeong) because of Oh Bok-nyeo (Song Ok-sook). Kim Yoo-joo (Lee Mi-do) found out that Byeon Mi-yeong (Jung So-min) who'd been bullying her, was her boyfriend Byeon Joon-yeong's (Min Jin-woong) youngest sister.

Meanwhile, MBC "You're Too Much" rated 12.4%.

http://www.hancinema.net/father-is-strange-increases-again-104860.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I am so glad Hye Young stood up to Jung Hwan's mother who is such a big bully, but it was also partially her mother's fault for getting into situations where she can be bullied. Anyway, Hye Young is totally awesome when she didn't let love dictate loyalty to her family. I can't wait for Jung Hwan to know that his mother broke them up eight years ago. Of course, I want to see the two sisters ganging up on Yoo Joo, the other big bully in the drama. She's already bullying Mi Young & Jun Young. I hope she doesn't start bullying the nice parents. Please, Hye Young & Ra Young, I'm banking on you two to make Yoo Joo's life miserable. Is it next weekend already? XD 

I am sad because of Hye Young. For Jung Hwan is easy to forgive his mother, but others don’t have to. Zebra woman deserves a lesson. It would be better if he hadn’t say nothing  and try to excuse his mother in front of his girlfriend, he must had being quiet and close his mouth. His mother did something wrong and she use to act like this. She is a total snob. That’s because her husband can’t stand her. He would better must had tell HY that he will make his mother to apologize correctly. Hye Young s Mother was offended a lot and I have made the same. I am hating this woman.

I know that the drama is in its first 12 episodes and something I like about this is that the issues are solved fast without twist the situations.

Yoo Joo is a sadistic, she really enjoy bothering MY, it’s like she hates her madly and I don’t think this is going to change suddenly because she already knows the characteristics of each sister , and Joon Young described his second sister as sweet and kind. IDK but Joon Young seems to be weak with his girlfriend and she can take advantage of this and manipulate him as she please.

@AlexMao I  lost the bet about  joong hee acepting Hon Soo as his father at ep 12.

PD: I love Joong Hee, he is a Jerk but cute. 

42 minutes ago, rileyelizabeth said:

I am so glad Hye Young stood up to Jung Hwan's mother who is such a big bully, but it was also partially her mother's fault for getting into situations where she can be bullied. 

Like mother, like sister. This tell us why Mi Yoing is like this.

I am going to say a cruel thing, but keep in mind this is a fiction not a real story or real people and forgive me, because I find myself hoping Yoo Joo has a miscarriage.

I am also confused about Yoo Joo's  age. I thought she was MY's age, since they went to school together, but now they say she is Joon Young's same age 31.  So I guess she was an older student when she bullied MY. 

Joong Hee seems a bit fickle in how he is turning on and off his effort to be with his new found biological father (he thinks).  I can understand his aversion, and annoyance that his "father" stood there dumb and motionless when he approached him the first time. But then he was rather relentless in his brush off.  Ok, I get it.  But now that his work for Oh My Boss has gotten a new life and the director wants him to get more from that relationship, he appears to be deciding to go back and forgive his bio father for his lack of proper emotional joyous response at their first meeting. 

I have a lot to say a side from me like enjoying this drama post Laurel Tree Tailors (which to me was like the best drama on Earth (if only there was more kissing by the leads it would be over the top)).

On 4/4/2017 at 0:34 AM, jina_bing_bang said:

That could very much be the case and I don't think he "killed" JH's father but there was definitely something going on as the picture with the 3 friends. I wonder if the other friend pictured will be a clue or if it was just for the drama. Also, it makes me wonder how the gomo [sister of JH's real biological father] is connected because Papa Byun and Mama Byun dropped off items for her at the hospital when they went to visit his friend too. I am sure the drama meant to show that part and maybe there is a guilt factor, like all the friends were in a car accident and Papa Byun is the one who survived? It will be interesting how this mystery gets solved too :)

I can see a car accident. It was my first thought. Or, there was a suicide- lost son and all woman leaving with son---lots of stuff there.  I bring up suicide because Laurel Tree was going in that direction a bit in the start and then shut it down with a QUICKNESS!! (which was a smart move on their part). They might be bringing that into this story. 

On 4/4/2017 at 4:39 AM, hyall said:

I must say this drama is moving at a very good pace and the story is interesting without too much annoying stuff you sometimes find in other dramas. I love how the lawyer daughter is very honest (not to her parents but to herself) and brave about her decision, it's obvious she cannot come clean with her parents they will never allow it. There is nothing wrong with her living with her boyfriend she is above 30 years old for heaven's sake. Too many times these dramas behave like a a 30+ year old woman is a teenager and I love how this drama is handling the older woman and her romance.

I am surprised at the actress who played one of the characters in Age of Youth she isn't that good an actress. It was not like that in Age of Youth she seemed to be a better actress in that. Not that I have any issue with weight but don't you think she has put on some weight as her face seems very round.

So far I'm happy I picked this drama over Father I'll take care of you for sure.

Spoiler

Sorry, as for the 30+ it's a cultural thing.  Please, please, please don't force your cultural norms on other people.You may not think it's forcing...but the style of questioning and delivery sounds otherwise that way for me.I don't mean to scold, but it's irritating and it's insulting. Korean's are not the only ones who do this.Multiple modern first world/rich cultures have have groups of people who do this culturally.  This is the norm pretty much around the world.It may not be for YOU. Therefore, it is a big deal. However, for others it is the norm so respect the culture. Also, do some research on the culture if you like the dramas so much.  I love Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Indian (particularly Telugu), Filipino, German,etc, television shows and movies.  Due to the fact that I love them, I study their culture and welcome the fact on being corrected on anything I get wrong. 

Anyway, the main couple JH and HY irritate me the most.  As for the second sentence---how is that handling it better? HY acts like a child playing house in hiding. Is it just me, or did JH forget that his mother has the code to his apartment? Hello?! It's ridiculous to me. You even said it, she's 30+...and she's a very successful lawyer. JY and JH's relationship seems exhausting to me and I get tired just looking at their drama. It's just like the older brother was in hiding---although I understand his hiding--JY's I'm still trying to figure out.. 

I'll ignore the rest. I don't understand "very round"---you lost me.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:10 AM, camichi said:

This show is getting more and more interesting. It seems like mysteries from the past will go to be reveled soon. 
My impressions about this episode ; The Opa is only thinking in getting married, when his father asked him in how is he thinking to solve the problem the only he brought up was that he would like to get married. He don’t talk about finding a job or help his father at the restaurant. He deserve all those things his sisters told him. The poor Mi Young worrying about the expenses of the child and wedding. This guy is going to obtain whatever he wants from his parents without any punishment only because he is kind and because they are weak with him. As HY said, he is a little kid.
The sisters are intrigue about what kind of woman goes to her inlaws and tells them she is pregnant,  and I think things are not going to be easy for her when they get married. I have the feeling that Yoo Joo won’t stop bothering MY I think she could use the fact she is pregnant to abuse of her.
YJ continues bothering and threatening
  Mi Young , and I can’t wait  to watch her  face when  she meet the family and see that  MY is p art of  them. 
I am sorry couse the honeymoon of HY and JH won’t last because of their mothers’ issues. 
cute2 onion head

Girl you are speaking my language. You know, at first I wondered if it would be JH who would be moving in with the family, which might happen---but I already know that CS is moving into the house.  Now, I don't know if they have secret bedrooms, but I'm not about to seeing CS moving into the house with JH there too.  

Stuff was getting complicated in my head so bare with me as I let you enter my world:

1. JH has to interact with the family in some way shape or form, we know that. 

2. CS needs somewhere to live.

3. YJ is about to marry JY----Huh, imagine those marriage towels (I only mention them because my mum had those tacky towels [EC/YC]).

4. MY will not in any way possible be able to survive in the same house as YJ.

5.  Married couple has to move somewhere.

6. We all knew HY was coming home.

-------------

Okay so we need to fix a few things.

If JH is believed to be a lost son and is now a brother we get a massive change in story and direction.  A few things could happen.  A. JH moves into the house moving JY/YJ into his apartment or; B. A few people move in with JH; C.  He lets his little sisters live there; D. CS takes JY's room; E.JH and CS;  F. Someone moves with Grams and Auntie and uncle

We will begin with A of course.

A. Unlikely. JH is going to find out what JY had and is still doing had done to MY---Hell to the no.  Not to mention it's a real bachelor pad.  Nada.

B. I can see MY movig in with him without a problem.  She works for him and everyone will believe that she's his little sister so why not?! Mum and Dad might have issue, but that will have to die considering JH/MY are family and nothing will happen and she's his employee.  Easy fit and a good direction.   Oh and it would also give BHS to come by every day and JH a reason to go by the house every day---win/win---while, protecting her as much as he can from abuse. 

C. Or they can even go as far as MY and RY. RY would love it there, but hate the turtle-Al.

D. In some way shape or form CS needs a home and it will be done around or within the family.  He will not be staying in that---place forever.  He might take JY's old place while HY and RY share a room.  MY has to leave that house. YJ/JY take over HY's old room. 

E. Logical and then not.  Two hot guys together.  But they've never met and it would be the sisters advocating for each other...it would be awkward.  Throwing it out there, but very unlikely.

F. Last...someone from above moves in with grams and uncle/aunt - I see no other resolution---anyone except for people like CS, JH or YJ. 

I know...who votes for their own propositions.meh....I just did. sigh. :blush:

20 hours ago, rileyelizabeth said:

I am so glad Hye Young stood up to Jung Hwan's mother who is such a big bully, but it was also partially her mother's fault for getting into situations where she can be bullied. Anyway, Hye Young is totally awesome when she didn't let love dictate loyalty to her family. I can't wait for Jung Hwan to know that his mother broke them up eight years ago. Of course, I want to see the two sisters ganging up on Yoo Joo, the other big bully in the drama. She's already bullying Mi Young & Jun Young. I hope she doesn't start bullying the nice parents. Please, Hye Young & Ra Young, I'm banking on you two to make Yoo Joo's life miserable. Is it next weekend already? XD 

JH is a moron.  Actually this is why I have a problem with the main couple...hence the reason my headcanon lead is MY and JH.  Let me explain my problem with JH.  Your girlfriend meets your mom and then breaks up with you 8 years ago.  Your girlfriend meets your mom again an breaks up with you again.  Common denominator?! Meeting mom. Problem with girlfriend---1st time---NOTHING!  She had no power.  I'm sure his mother threatened her father and mother's shop x, y, z.   Problem with girlfriend----2nd time---EVERYTHING! Selfish, childish at times, churlish.  She has power now.  You can explain to him EVERYTHING!  You can tell him what happened 8 years ago and what is still happening.  Maybe she can't deal with a step mother like that----for the gods sakes tell him.  She says nothing to him.   But she's quick to yell at anyone else. Ugh. Just....ugh

Guest AlexMao

@rileyelizabeth I would certainly welcome someone bullying Yoo Joo but on the other hand I would find it a bit strange to see them ultimately bullying a pregnant woman. I mean give her a vicious verbal lashing,continue playing "bad cop" if you will until she comes to an understanding and acceptance of her past but really spend time building up what will eventually be family her family. As for Hye Young  & Jung Hwan I had a feeling their reunion was going to be short lived but I'm not so sure I want to see them try again if it means they won't actually talk to each other and try to find common/neutral ground for their relationship to grow. Whatever their current relationship was it was built on lies and deception (both parties), so it was already doomed for failure. For the mothers I will simply say they are certainly the "odd couple" of the series and really any time they're together you can almost expect it to be a train wreck.

half in episode 11 and haven't watch 12 yet, reading briefly the replies here it seems everyone hates on the main couple, I'm curious and gonna start watching 12 soon... oh almost forgot, regarding Park Cheolsoo, don't worry, he's actually a 'chaebol' in disguise. it's in his character description, Rayoung hits jackpot

2 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

half in episode 11 and haven't watch 12 yet, reading briefly the replies here it seems everyone hates on the main couple, I'm curious and gonna start watching 12 soon... oh almost forgot, regarding Park Cheolsoo, don't worry, he's actually a 'chaebol' in disguise. it's in his character description, Rayoung hits jackpot

Yeah, the lead couple is super childish in their ways and behaviour.  I would prefer HY if she just put everything on the table to JH, que sera sera. I don't get it.  They are adults now.  There is nothing to hide from and she knows the law.  HY can reign down hell upon JH's mother like the fires of hell and the father wouldn't care.  Much worse, if JH came to find out, he probably wouldn't care either. The main couple are to old to be acting like kindergartners...the writers need to fix that. 

I thought/think everyone knew CS is a chaebol. When he was talking with his mum, it was kind of a big hint about the lack of support. To me it was self-explanatory since he spoke to his mother in episode 1. It also didn't help him when he didn't seem to have a part time job. In Laurel Tree---Kang Tae Yang came on the scene with like 5 part time jobs and already borrowing money in ep 1---boy was poorer than Oliver Twist.  This boy was chilling and wasn't looking for a job until ep 8 or 9...yeah...screaming chaebol. But 1 said, he had a dad who could back him up if he listened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I figured the housing situation...but that bathroom.  Washing hair and taking a dump will be a nightmare. Okay...my break down.

1. Upstairs [JY's former room]: JH & CS

2. HY's Former Room: JY/YJ

3. MY/RY's Room will now be: MY/RY/HY's room....unless there's another room.

My little MY will be tortured in so many ways.  Not only by YJ, but also by JH (mainly his disregard), and her sister's for their dismissal of her feelings.  No one is going to believe what she's dealing with when it comes to YJ unless they see it for themselves...and the way the story is going...I'll have to wait until episode 20-21 for that to happen. I have no clue who'll see it first. Why do I feel CS will and bring it to JH's attention or JH will see....but no one else will. I do feel like JH & CS will be the best brothers EVER!  I just see a lot of Hyung Power going on there. 

3 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

@eyjooniesh I am not hating the lead couple. I am loving HY more after seeing her protect her mother. After seeing what happen 8 years ago, the way she was humiliated I can understand why she is arrogant sometimes.

@vaberella
I don’t think they are immature maybe Jung Hwang is being a little childish trying to make HY forgive his mother. Let’s take in account that this is a Drama, and these are its 12 first episodes, we need to be patients and wait. 
In episode 12 Yoo Joo asked   Joon Young if he had savings and of course he answer he didn’t, then she said that she had some savings and they will use them to move after married. Maybe in the building there is another apartment empty. I am sure the writer has already thought about it because the family need to continue together. If the new married couple move, the rooftop would be free for Joong Hee. 

Spoiler

@vaberella I am Asian from Malaysia so I can see for myself the exaggeration and I'm not pushing my values which happen to be Malaysian Indian values on anyone. The level of ridiculousness displayed in a lot of dramas are even agreed upon by the locals as extreme and overly done and people acknowledge it and dramas for heaven's sake do not depict real life. People no longer follow so many of these traditions but like the shows on TV even in Malaysia we see a break between reality and real life and every time a drama does show what it is really like I applaud it.

Don't you come from Haiti if I'm not mistaken so how would you know what Asian life is like since you are not Asian and basing your Korean values knowledge on dramas. Might I add I am not insulting anyone or saying that it is wrong just that I'm tired of the trope that does not reflect real life even in Korea and other Asian countries. Coming from a  strict Hindu family I think I have a good grasp of what Asian values are like. Don't lecture me about finding out about Asian culture when I am Asian just because you happen to read a little about Asian cultures. Living in Asia and reading about it are two entirely different things. Things have changed even in ultra conservative places in Asia and the same goes for Korea. May be not in Yemen and other more repressed places but there has been a great deal of loosening of the strict traditions and this drama is trying to show that very mildly and I think it is a good attempt.

I think I am entitled to comment on how a relationship is depicted and do so without insulting a whole culture and you were very unfair to scold me for that when I simply expressed a frustration I have often heard even my own grandmother voice over Tamil and Malayalam dramas in Malaysia. I can understand how dramas like to show values and how they want things to be pure but these types of dramas including the dailies are beginning to lose flavour because they are not keeping up with the times. I am not asking for Western values but that they should at least reflect the changing times.

No hard feelings though. Image result for emoji grin

Spoiler

9 hours ago, hyall said:

@vaberella 

Don't you come from Haiti if I'm not mistaken so how would you know what Asian life is like since you are not Asian and basing your Korean values knowledge on dramas. Might I add I am not insulting anyone or saying that it is wrong just that I'm tired of the trope that does not reflect real life even in Korea and other Asian countries. Coming from a  strict Hindu family I think I have a good grasp of what Asian values are like. Don't lecture me about finding out about Asian culture when I am Asian just because you happen to read a little about Asian cultures. Living in Asia and reading about it are two entirely different things. Things have changed even in ultra conservative place

Tamil and Malayalam dramas in Malaysia. I can understand how dramas like to show values and how they want things to be pure but these types of dramas including the dailies are beginning to lose flavour because they are not keeping up with the times. I am not asking for Western values but that they should at least reflect the changing times.

No hard feelings though. 

@hyall Hi Hyall.  I don’t think that @vaberella  is from Haiti because sometimes she writes some phrases and words in Spanish. So she is not from there because Haiti people speak French.Till now I haven’t seen any insult or offense here. This is my opinion.

Reading about the cultures of others countries and watching interviews of people that have live in Korea is a good way to learn about, believe me.  All Asian countries are not the same and they dont act and live the same way like not all Americans countries are the same. 

My Mon used to watch Mexican, Colombian and Venezuelan Soup operas and these are very close to reality, some of them could be bad and others could be very good. I did not use to watch them because  I considered them TV garbage, too much real and the reality is already very hard. In my country we are very opened mind about almost everything, for us couples living without get  married is very common and normal, talk about sexuality too, we are not a homophobic or racist society.

Four years ago in a TV channel in my country were transmitting 2 Korean dramas and for casual I meet they and I liked them a lot (Gentleman dignity and Brilliant Inheritance) and I fall for Korean dramas since then. Why I love Korean dramas is because they show the values of the family, the respect for the grown-up. They don’t show sexual scenes that could seem vulgar or grotesque like in Latin-American soup operas and the production, the  actors and actresses are very good. 

This is an international forum and I can understand that each one could have different opinions about almost everything and I am sure nobody here  have the intention to insult or offense.

Spoiler

16 hours ago, vaberella said:

Sorry, as for the 30+ it's a cultural thing.  Please, please, please don't force your cultural norms on other people.You may not think it's forcing...but the style of questioning and delivery sounds otherwise that way for me.I don't mean to scold, but it's irritating and it's insulting. Korean's are not the only ones who do this.Multiple modern first world/rich cultures have have groups of people who do this culturally.  This is the norm pretty much around the world.It may not be for YOU. Therefore, it is a big deal. However, for others it is the norm so respect the culture. Also, do some research on the culture if you like the dramas so much.  I love Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Indian (particularly Telugu), Filipino, German,etc, television shows and movies.  Due to the fact that I love them, I study their culture and welcome the fact on being corrected on anything I get wrong. 

@camichi

She says don't force your cultural norms on other people and further compounds it by saying it's irritating and insulting. 

Exactly how am I suppose to take that and accept it because on the face of it she is definitely saying I am forcing my norms which she assumes is Western and calling my style questioning and my delivery irritating and insulting.

To be perfectly honest I have very little time on my hands to visit this board as I am awfully busy so occasionally I just post something and I dash off again and to have what I wrote, an opinion mind you, dissected in this fashion is rather unfair to me and I reacted. I don't write long treatise or analyse or spend time on dramas in that way because I also watch Chinese, Japanese and other shows so I wrote something which were my thoughts at that time without expecting it to be cut apart and criticised. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what I wrote but she attacked me for it and said what I wrote was irritating and insulting. How can you possibly argue it was not to give offense when it clearly was.

Bravo for pointing out that this is an international forum and people should respect other people's opinion and not attack them for it.

I am not angry I just felt I had to defend myself from an unfair jab at me and my cultural ideas and being Asian myself having someone lecture me on Asian values is rich. I am also perfectly aware that there are many countries in Asia and that each country has differing values but please don't try to convince me that without living in these countries you can possibly understand the nuances and differences by simply reading about them.

18 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I am also confused about Yoo Joo's  age. I thought she was MY's age, since they went to school together, but now they say she is Joon Young's same age 31.  So I guess she was an older student when she bullied MY. 

The Viki subtitles were wrong, but they were fixed later. YJ is the same age as MY.

- Hye Yeong is officially my favorite. I loved it when she screeeamed at Witchy Landlady to apologize. Awesome. Love.

I also don't blame her for never telling JH why she broke up with him. She doesn't want to make JH choose between her and his mother. Also, knowing what a snob she is, she knows if she marries JH, his mother will give her parents a hard time.

(JH should figure it out on his own, though. He's a TV producer. Has he never watched a K-drama? Ha ha.)

- So, Witchy Landlady. Well, I guess I wonder why she even married JH's father, since he came from a poor family and she is such a snob. It's not like she appreciates his intellect.

He is pretty hilariously cruel to her. I feel kind of bad for her, but then she does something selfish and horrible again.

- HY and RY will put YJ in her place. I also loved that MY was already standing up for herself and being strong against YJ abusing her at work. Basically, YJ's bullying days are over.

And I think JY, even though he seems like a pushover, won't stand for it if YJ tries to bully his sister anymore. Okay, I could be wrong about that, but I would love to see him show a spine at least once.

- I don't have any opinions about Joong Hee, except that the actor is quite good! He vacillates from goofy to serious very well.

Archived