[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

I don't think he will tell the family because 

a)drama

b)he has already presented himself like a father to JH so how can he tell his family and let that secret out it will hurt JH and the last thing he wants right now is to hurt his friend's son

c)even if he only told his wife the rest of the family will be angry he betrayed their mother/sister/daughter/aunt

d)50 episodes drama need meat for conflicts

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching Epi 13..

YJ and JY meetinag bit was funny but I still doubt YJ's sincerity. I was glad that MY told YJ to wait until she fixes her heart on accepting her as her sister in law.

HY and CJH playing breakup patchup seems so childish. I hope they come out clean soon regarding where they stand in their relationship. 

AJH awww my heart went to him this episode especially during the script reading. He was soo excited about the drama and the script reading and we can see how sad he was when he could not act properly. Also when he saw the family enjoying the meal and he was just standing there, I could feel for him. I was so glad that Father Byun came looking for him. Looking fwd for him to live with the family.

I am liking RY and CS story line too. Lol RY face when CS said she was not his type. I have a strong feeling that CS might be a chaebol and since his father opposed him of being a football coach he might have left his family and decided to pursue his dreams. I recall him asking to his mom if his father was still angry with him few episodes back on the ph. Ao looking fwd to how they will develop this one too.

As for now I don't want the father to drop a bomb to his family saying AJH is his son or something. I just want him to come clean at least to his wife and acknowlwdge AJH as his fruend's son rather than his own. Though I have serious doubts it WILL go that way  as its 50 epi and we are bound to have that angst, tensions and misunderstandings. So lets see how they will take it so far I have been impressed with this show as my other 50epi drama has left me dissapointed.

My opinion. Soccer coach need to improve his acting he looks too flat. I like the caracter but no the actor, I know he is good-looking (Guapo) but for me he is not doing well. I think is the only bad thing i have to say of this drama. I would prefere better actor instead a hot one. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, camichi said:

My opinion. Soccer coach need to improve his acting he looks too flat. I like the caracter but no the actor, I know he is good-looking (Guapo) but for me he is not doing well. I think is the only bad thing i have to say of this drama. I would prefere better actor instead a hot one. Sorry.

Happy Home he was like that too quite a poor actor but he has looks I guess.

Guest AlexMao

@JoonB I'm kind of glad I wasn't the only one stumped by the flashback. I was kind of hoping the reason for the name change was a little more meaningful or purposeful as it stands it's kind of silly. I just hope the writers don't leave it as is, it's like we need a flashback for a flashback. That can't be good.

I will say I did like to seeing Mi Young & Joong Hee bonding even it was over alcohol.

Off topic of episode 14 but does anyone happen to know the insert piece/song that was playing when Joong Hee visit the snack shop > a little after Han Soo visits Joong Hee's house in the last episode (starts at around 1:03:50 > 1:05:13). It's kind of reminiscent of The Cinematic Orchestra Arrival of the Birds & Transformation.

Besides the love the show more and more let me answer some of the questions I see on this page before I go on my whole I love this ep bonanza even if I only saw the subs:

1. @rileyelizabeth the main couple is HY and JH (unfortunately in my case :bawling:) fortunately for you.  The second couple is MY & JH.

As far as listing couple faves....I do have a list. Top 5!

a. MY & JH

b. RY & CS

c. JH & Al

d. CKT & Chico (More screen time is needed here----more screen time)

e. JH & his other manager

Note JH has a lot of great relatinships to enjoy.

2. @camichi I think you bring up two interesting points.  a) it's touching on the issue of JY----the patriocal dominance of the boy within basically worldwide society. Yes, there have been moments of alternatives. For example, Temujin had allowed women within his military; in actuality they helped him to conquer Korea and China; or women like Catherine the Great; or even the Aka people of today.  Yes, there are exceptions to the rule.  But very, very, very, little. In primitive societies there was equality amongst men and women. However, it's known that men ruled and battled (excluding Mulan and Temujin's people here); not women.  Therefore, there was a clear division between men and women.  Now my wondering is how did it get this far? Meaning...how did it reach the point that these boys--if they're the first or last born (but first born boy of the family) are allowed to abuse the family, even by their more successful sisters who are either younger or older than them? This is world wide.  It's so fascinating for me.   As I've said in the past, I'm Haitian.  My mother is the oldest girl of 7 brothers.  TO THIS DAY! TO THIS DAY! My mother still sends them pocket money in Haiti.  They are skilled workers, they have wives, adult children....yada, yada, yada.  71 and my mum's response, "They're my little brothers."  What? What?  And her mother did the same thing to her brothers when they were married and had kids. If my sister and I had a brother it would be the same thing.  Sometimes I have to wonder if I would follow suit if I became a mom.

2.  To your second point, I actually think JH is a great actor in that scene.  Did you see that? He was brilliant. Did you see the woman fanning herself after the reading? His approach to the role was too intense for that reading for a dad with his son. His approach in the reading was pure anger, frustration, and a sense of confusion. They say robotic, but it's not, he's pi**ed off. What these people don't know is that he never had a father in his life to be able to elicit the feelings they want him to have. The only time was when he was able to make first contact---then he was able to slow it down. The one that says, he's out there and I'm not alone any more. I have someone.  

@JoonB let's get married, because you took the words right out of my mouth.  That was one of my favorite scenes.  I can't wait until next week.  

Wait!!! I just realized.  They dated that wrong.  They said 1982.  But that song came out in 1983 for the movie Flashdance. I saw that movie one too many times.  Jesus I was 2 years old when that whole thing happened in SF while I was in NYC---but that song was in the movie Flashdance---how do I remember these things. Best songs, decent films during the 80s.  Anyway Flashdance came out in 1983.

The earthquake was too early for the song.  But who cares---I liked the scene.

4 hours ago, vaberella said:

Wait!!! I just realized.  They dated that wrong.  They said 1982.  But that song came out in 1983 for the movie Flashdance. I saw that movie one too many times.  Jesus I was 2 years old when that whole thing happened in SF while I was in NYC---but that song was in the movie Flashdance---how do I remember these things. Best songs, decent films during the 80s.  Anyway Flashdance came out in 1983.

I was wondering too, because I like Flashdance, but Gloria wasn't written for the movie, it's originally Italian song and Laura Branigan's cover was released in March 1982. So the logic of flashback scenes is flawed but the choice of the music is spot on :)

- So I was wrong about Hye-young telling Jung-Hwan about his mom, she was just talking to herself instead. I think that is okay, and true to character. She did keep quiet about it for 8 years because she didn't want to hurt him.

I was so happy to see them make up, and they did so without a lot of drama. They're in it for the long haul, and they both know it. It was nice to see.

It was also nice that she went to film school with him, so she can give specific critique of his work.

- Mi Yeong, I am on your side all the way. Yoo Joo is scared wit-less of what Mi Yeong might do. Make her squirm! YAAAS.

- Ra Yeong, I just don't care about her love life. She is only entertaining when she's pulling someone's hair or ugly-crying.

I will enjoy RY and HY go all out to torture Yoo Joo, though. They see right through her, already. Just wait until they find out she was bullying their sister.

- Interesting backstory on the father. I wonder why he decided to go with his friend's identity? Did he have some debt or did he commit some kind of crime? There must be a reason.

(Maybe the reason he can't drive or ride an airplane is because he can't get a license/passport with his true identity, because he has been declared dead or something? I don't know, just guessing.)

3 hours ago, agnescz said:

I was wondering too, because I like Flashdance, but Gloria wasn't written for the movie, it's originally Italian song and Laura Branigan's cover was released in March 1982. So the logic of flashback scenes is flawed but the choice of the music is spot on :)

Girl...great catch and correction there...thanks!!!!:blush:  Still 3 months before I turned 2. :D

@jina_bing_bang I don't know what you mean? "It was YoungShil (Mama Byun)’s idea to get together with Papa Byun…SO MANY questions! SO MANY! :blink:"   YS was married to BH  as YS.  She came to retrieve her husband's body, ie YS.  When she gets to California, she finds YS is confused and considered to be BH by confusion.  She convinces YS to take up BH's identity.   

I'm having an impression that maybe BH came from a fairly wealthy family and him and YS were planning on opening a business in California.  YS put all his funds into the business plan in California.  While BH has a back up.  I'm supposing and I'm always wrong on these things. Always. He probably took some of whatever money BH may have had and used it to invest in the snack place and things like that.  He just wasn't aware of BH's son and things like that. I think if he was, he would have taken BH's son in and made sure he was part of the family. 

10 hours ago, JoonB said:

After the flashback (back to the present), BHS tells his wife that AJH wants to live with them and that he accepted his request. The episode ends with NYS getting angry and asking BHS if he was crazy.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

What I really do not get is why would NYS want BHS to keep his friend's name. Just because he is rich and because they do not have money?! They had a choice to correct things. It is not like they were forced to keep the name. Also, why would BHS accepts his wife's suggestion? Did he have lots of debts to pay back? I really do not get this part. Hopefully, the writer will give a justifiable reason. 

@JoonB  I'm also not understanding him keeping the friends name.. So all the kids living under and assume name.. I guess maybe he did owe a lot of debts in Korea even aftet coming back he still didn't assume his real identity.. Maybe dad grew up in and orphanage.. 

Is it me but in episode 13 did anyone notice how HY was scarffing down the food, I think she may also come up pregnant.. 

@chickfactor  Good seeing you here..

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

@JoonB  I'm also not understanding him keeping the friends name.. So all the kids living under and assume name.. I guess maybe he did owe a lot of debts in Korea even aftet coming back he still didn't assume his real identity.. Maybe dad grew up in and orphanage.. 

Is it me but in episode 13 did anyone notice how HY was scarffing down the food, I think she may also come up pregnant.. 

@chickfactor  Good seeing you here..

@sava2sava I too do not understand why his friend's wife/girlfriend asked him to keep the name. He did it for her. But why? He doesn't seem to have known that she was pregnant and the baby is registered under the mothers name "Ahn" so what was the point of asking him to keep that name?  There was talk of them being married for a year and half or so, it is confusing. Especially because he and his wife feel so guilty, did they use his money after his death? Why did the wife say they will only be able to get forgiveness after they die?

Joon Young is getting weirder, he is 35 and acts like he is 18? He is a good match up with his uncle though. I wonder if they will actually get paid after all that work? Hope they aren't scammed. 

I cannot see CJH's parents living together, they need to divorce. 

I suppose one day we may get the low down on Yoo Joo and why she turned into such a bully witch and why she would hook up with JY, when he is so immature, jobless, and clueless.

So, 
I am trying to figure things out by reading your post...
I am a little confused
Is JY BHS's son or not? Cause if Original BHS's wife was pregnant then it could not have been his baby or was did he have an affair with his friend's wife?
NYS is the original BHS's wife?

OR

Did JH's biological mother just ask BHS to keep the name so then she would not be a widow, and JH is not born to a widow. JH would have a father in official documents. BHS would then "separate" from JH's mother and marry NYS

You know I thought they left us with a lot to >>>>PONDER! 

I swear to the gods that I never thought I would watch this episode and we would sit here asking and debating over so many points. Not only that these are GREAT questions with great assumptions!  This is the first episode we've EVER done this for, you know that right?!

We're like:

1. Why is JY able to abuse his family this way?

2. Is the actor playing CS a good one or not?!

3. Who's the lead? Who's a better lead? (a little bit---okay---I did that :D)

4. YJ/JY/MY dynamic

5. YS/BH/MomBH drama

6. YS/BH/MomBH/JH drama

7. BH/MomBH/JH drama

8. YS/BH/JH drama

9. MomBH/JH drama

10. MJ/JH Drama

11. HY/JH---HY's possible pregnancy

12. MY/YS

13. RY/CS---and where that's going and no one really caring about that couple (except me, it feels like.  I like them.)!

Right....we didn't talk about about the below yet.  We just spoke mentioned Al, not his future life. 

1. FamilyBH/JH/Al drama

2. MomBH/Al drama

I mean ladies and some gents, we're lost in the sauce here (pop culture).  We are eagles with no sky (project runway).  We are cheese with no bread (that's my mom). We are peanut butter without jelly (that's me). I'm reading here and I'm like...I don't think we really know what we're saying except for the correction on "Gloria" and lead couple; is speculation.  This episode left us with NOTHING but questions.  All we're doing is questioning, debating, questioning, trying to answering, questioning, wondering.  Don't get me wrong, all episodes are supposed to do that.  They are. But this one...wow.  I've never seen a show do this.  Not even Laurel Tree---but then LT, didn't have anything to really uncover, did it. Wow, this is a that is getting better and better. 

@finebyme This I can answer.  In the English translated version it says that JH is the OriginalBH's son. The OriginalBH HAD his own wife. She was pregnant at the time of their divorce; it seems neither she nor did the OriginalBH know about the child at the time of the divorce. 

This is getting curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say and I am also very interested to getting to the bottom of why he kept a dead man's identity. No wonder he cannot confess to JH that he is not the father. What shocked me even more was that the mother was complicit I mean more like the reason for it.

Loved how Hye Young was not too proud to admit her faults. Shows a strong character and I was laughing at her drool laden face in the morning . Loved that MY was not duped by that witch who is using her pregnancy to guilt her into hiding the fact that she bullied her and OMG the 'I did it to help you' rubbish had me rolling my eyes. Drunk bonding always works great in Korean dramas because of the rate at which they consume alcohol in dramas.

6 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I too do not understand why his friend's wife/girlfriend asked him to keep the name. He did it for her. But why? He doesn't seem to have known that she was pregnant and the baby is registered under the mothers name "Ahn" so what was the point of asking him to keep that name?

the girl in the flashback is Na Youngshil, not the real byun hansoo's wife, Na youngshil came to received his boyfriend's dead body (Papa byun) who she thought has dead but turn out their identity got changed

I was assuming papa byun has a lot of debt, or he was associated with "gangster gang" in the past and could not escape from it since he hold too many dark secrets. 

Hyeyoung's preggy?? wow I didn't realise that, but I hope she is  :tongue: Junghwan would love that too , I love how he's the one who cooked for her, just like her parent papa byun and mama byun, of course not Junghwan's parent XD Hyeyoung would continue her mother 's history of being pregnant before marriage :lol:

I crackled so much when Joonghee told Miyoung that he would get revenge on his father's family and the four siblings he will had, he swear to ruin their lives by living in the house XD then clueless Miyoung look to him like he was such an admiration by replying "You're so cool, Ahn- baewu nim" and they cheered together without realizing the truth yet, lol can't wait to see what will happen in the future, will Miyoung dare look at him in the same light again when he moves in their house , and of course Joonghee will know who the Gabi's worker that bullied Miyoung in the past since he was so curious of it. 

11 hours ago, maddymappo said:

@sava2sava I too do not understand why his friend's wife/girlfriend asked him to keep the name. He did it for her. But why? He doesn't seem to have known that she was pregnant and the baby is registered under the mothers name "Ahn" so what was the point of asking him to keep that name?  There was talk of them being married for a year and half or so, it is confusing. Especially because he and his wife feel so guilty, did they use his money after his death? Why did the wife say they will only be able to get forgiveness after they die?

Joon Young is getting weirder, he is 35 and acts like he is 18? He is a good match up with his uncle though. I wonder if they will actually get paid after all that work? Hope they aren't scammed. 

I suppose one day we may get the low down on Yoo Joo and why she turned into such a bully witch and why she would hook up with JY, when he is so immature, jobless, and clueless.

@maddymappo  I stunned about this also my guess is that the friend comes from money around the timeof his death maybe his parents died also being that he kept his friends name he also collected money and maybe property.. I don't get the wife either apparently ahe was weel awate of these facts and kept quite al these years why she can't continue to keep quite and just go with the flow..

I;m looking forward to see MY face when she realizes that JY revenge is against her family..

11 hours ago, maddymappo said:

The woman in flashback is Na Young Shil (Byun Hye Young, Byun Mi Young, Byun Joon Young and mom) not Joong Hee mom. She was talking about being pregnant with her first son. She asked Papa Byun to keep his dead friend Han Soo name for a reason we don't know yet.

Theory, I have a feeling there were loan sharks involved (how unlikely is that in a kdrama?  :D), and maybe they had a life insurance policy on YS (reborn BHS). Maybe that is why he was in US - to get away from sharks and make money to pay them back. So if he is dead, maybe the sharks took the life insurance and dropped it. Something like that. Unlikely the real BHS had a lot of money? Not sure they would actually steal his money.

Archived