[Drama 2017] My Father is Strange 아버지가 이상해

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, hyall said:

Yes Joong Hee's mother is alive he even considered while talking to her to ask about his father but he decided not to. Then he asked the uncle for the photo.    This is the part I am confused about. Does BHS and wife know that JH's mom is still alive? Then they must also know that the mom never found out that JH's bio father died. Then if and when she learns JH found his bio Dad, she will think it is the real BHS, and maybe want to speak to him.  Also, why wouldn't the bio Mom have at least told JH anything about his bio Dad in the past? 

The other actor seems interested in Mi Young he even remembered her. Do you recall the dirctor threatening to send Mi Young to him ,so it was not an idle threat that guy may have asked for her. Is he yanking Joong Hee's chain or genuinely interested in her. I love the way Joong Hee blocked his view of her. I think he is not aware of her as a woman more like a blossoming friendship that is someone he can confide in and he does not want anyone else to take her from him. Interesting dynamic that will be shattered when he steps into the Byun household.:heartbreak:

Byun Han Soo is such a good man he never once tried to force his wife or speak roughly or even use manipulation like pointing out that it was her idea that he use his friend's identity. Instead he quietly suffered until she gave in . It is true too that she is more eloquent, when she broke down all the reasons I could not fault her reasoning . She loves him though and could not stand to see him suffer. What a beautiful relationship and such a stark contrast to Jung Hwan's mum and his father who seems to really dislike the wife and feels he is superior to her.   Well said!!!!

As someone else speculated here it is obvious he was being chased by the authorities since he has no bank account,no driver's licence and has been living under the radar all these years. A political dissident is the accurate summation someone here made.    Agree.

So MY used the pen recorder that HY always uses, and recorded that YJ use to bully her.  I wonder how HY will punish YJ and I am kinda excited to see it lol. I think HY senses something off with the whole set up and she might be the child to break dad/moms secret. 

I show is light hearted and love that, not too much drama and the drama part also seems realistic. I can see AHJ and MY building a very close friendship which leads to something more confusing for them as it almost touches on romantic feelings which of course will make them both uncomfortable. Will the parents notice it and be forced to come clean?

I don't mind her becoming the sister in law if she honestly and sincerely apologizes for what she did to MY in school and not hide behind the nonsense about trying to help her.

I feel bad for Mi Yeong because she knows that Joong Hee is seeking punishment and she cannot really tell her family that. I am truly sad about father Byun, that his kids are going to look at their father with disappointment and disillusionment when he does not deserve that. This drama has moved at an amazing speed and every time I think they are going to drag a plot line it manages to surprise me over and over again. Bravo! Keep going at this pace I love it.

You are right MY can't tell her family because JH knows about the bullying. 

What amused me about the episode is how poor MY, both the people who really use her end up being part of her family. Her family was her haven, but now both the fiance and boss are intruding 

Casually watching, but getting more and more drawn in.

10 hours ago, hyall said:

Byun Han Soo is such a good man he never once tried to force his wife or speak roughly or even use manipulation like pointing out that it was her idea that he use his friend's identity. Instead he quietly suffered until she gave in . It is true too that she is more eloquent, when she broke down all the reasons I could not fault her reasoning . She loves him though and could not stand to see him suffer. What a beautiful relationship and such a stark contrast to Jung Hwan's mum and his father who seems to really dislike the wife and feels he is superior to her.

As someone else speculated here it is obvious he was being chased by the authorities since he has no bank account, no driver's licence and has been living under the radar all these years. A political dissident is the accurate summation someone here made.

What I am appreciating about this drama is how atypical the lead family is from families I've seen in most k-dramas. Maybe it is because there isn't a big pot of money and power at stake. The entire family seems to be held together with love and support and not competition for some humungous payout.

I find the first (or second) couple Cha Jung-Hwan :heart: Byun Hye-Young to be winning.

I'm looking forward to the relationship between Ahn Joong-Hee :heart: Byun Mi-Young to develop. 

I like the brother but i'm not hot on his fiancee  Byun Joon-Young :heart: Kim Yoo-Joo. I hope they give Yoo-Joo a decent character arc.  It not a family that would allow a child to be abandon or a mother to be bullied, so I hope she learns what she needs to well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it is AJH that lets the family know about YJ's history with MJ, since he is now engaging with MJ in both areas, at home and at work.

Oh Bok-Nyeo is a royal pain and like YJ needs to grow and learn.  Her hunger for affection makes her alienate people left and right. Song Ok-Suk moves with such elegance and grace, she is a pleasure to watch. 

So far Byun Ra-Young   :heart: Park Cheol-Soo haven't been able to keep my fingers off the ff--> button.  That's also true from the in-laws upstairs.

I have not resorted to using the fast forward button at all in this drama(in Our Gab Soon I skipped more than I watched in that one until I lost all interest in that drama and decided to just read the comments at kissasian) because I really don't mind any of it. I think even the slightly conniving sister in law makes me laugh and I loved how the old lady ran away and was sad no one noticed she had left the house and she was easily persuaded to come home by the grandson. The drama does not spend that much time on them and she is not that mean spirited and their snide comments when she collected money for dinner (which I felt was rather extreme to collect money from your relatives) was funny.

I  honestly think if I learned that my father had a son (prior to his marriage to my Mother, a son he himself never knew about until now), I would be very excited to meet him. I would really be curious about this oppa.  I think the children are being super conservative and rather selfish in their view (other than being concerned about their mother). These are ADULT children. They are not little kids.  So that part of it, seems a bit strained for me. Hey, at least one of them should be curious and not angry about this.

RY, of course, is having the most obnoxious reaction. Heart pounding scene in the closet was hard to take, this beer smelling drunk grinning idiot, how sexy was that? But then again, I am not a guy.

Something I like the most in this drama,  is that issues are solved fast but how Joong Hee moving to the family house  is the main plot of the drama I wonder how long it will last. This situation could affect MYs working situation, she is the one that has to share more time with him as his assistant 
Mi Young  pointed something interesting and it was when she mentioned a DNA test, I don’t know why but I have the feeling that she will be the one who detects that Joong Hee is not her brother and I hope so. 
Something I can’t understand is why an adult man has to accept his mother s nose around his privet life. I know is part of the drama but he need to put a limit to his mother. The zebra woman has to understand that his son is older enough to have whoever he wants. If I had a son with Jung Hwan age I would be worry if he has any girlfriend yet.

help crazy rabbitI cant wait a week 

What a series of unfortunate events for MY, finally gets a job but ends up meeting YJ, JH warms up to her but ends up as a sibling who knows her secrets, stands up to YJ and she ends up as future sister in law with a baby already on the way .... 

When the Byun secret finally becomes public I wonder how it will be legally handled

the 16 episode really make me wanna take a time machine lol

what hilarious is joonghee brought a lorry! and also his big lions doll XD Al is not enough for him

He really thinks the family likes him seeing how excited his face the moment he enter the house

I also wondered how he is older than joonyoung

4 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

the 16 episode really make me wanna take a time machine lol

what hilarious is joonghee brought a lorry! and also his big lions doll XD Al is not enough for him

He really thinks the family likes him seeing how excited his face the moment he enter the house

I also wondered how he is older than joonyoung

@eyjooniesh He even thought that the family accepted him because he a celebrity. I really love the way he is. Sometimes is an idiot, sometimes seems a cry baby and sometime is kind. 

1 hour ago, camichi said:

@eyjooniesh He even thought that the family accepted him because he a celebrity. I really love the way he is. Sometimes is an idiot, sometimes seems a cry baby and sometime is kind.

yeah he's actually kind and a quiet an idiot when he think highly of himself but he's not a shy person, nice fit with miyoung, she's kind but very timid, and lovely

I don't think Mama Byun liked him giving the bags to Papa Byun to carry. That was rude of him he treats people like they are his lackeys. He has this bad habit cannot say why he is like that but this is not how you treat people, he is arrogant and I'm glad now he will know that the family does not really care about his fame and I hope they kick his arrogance and send it to another place altogether. OTOH when I see him feel small next to the other actor or getting upset about his secondary status I feel bad and sorry for him. He is a very complex character to play though all vulnerable and arrogance rolled in one hunk of a guy.

Oh, how this drama is delivering.......I am not going to recap, but instead I would like to focus on what we have to look forward to, now that AJH has met his new family.

1) AJH and MY will probably become really close now that they both know something very intimate about one another. Yes, we watched them confide to one another about their issues, but that was in their drunken states. No one else around them at work knows. They will take this to the grave outside of the house.

2) HY and SJ will end up permanently living together. Sooner than later. I think they will do this before getting married. Between SJ's parents and their constant petty fighting and HY now being disappointed in her father and not understanding her mother, I bet they will be in no hurry to take a walk down the aisle.

3) The youngest daughter and the instructor she likes will provide a lot of comic relief. She has finally accepted that he is gay (so she thinks) and looks at him as a friend, right when is starting to feel something for her. Hopefully he, and the new family dynamic will grow her up, because she needs to grow.

4) SJ's parents will continue their petty bickering. I do believe that one of them will end up moving out of the house, all be it temporarily. First, his mother needs to learn that she has no right to look down on anyone. Her ignorance to everything is quite embarrassing, and no amount of money can change that fact. His father will come to appreciate the things that she did to keep their household together, but both of them need to come to grips with their insecurities and inferiority complexes.

5) YJ's secrets will come out, and I believe it will affect how eldest brother looks at her. She is one of those people that looks great on paper, but in reality is so not what people believe her to be. Not only is she a bully, but I believe she is hiding something. What made her a bully in the first place? I think it has something to do with her parents, whom I do not believe are dead. I want the truth about her to come out before she has that baby.

6) The uncle and his wife are going to try and use the family secrets to get ahead. I can just feel it. They are mediocre in every way, yet they always stood by on the sidelines judging everyone else. I thought it was telling when they found out about AJH, the sister in law said she was envious of YS because she had it so good...and I thought, but YS is out there working hard everyday for her family. Then it hit me, the sister in law literally has no identity. She doesn't have a career, hobby, talent that sets her apart from helping out at the snack shop. She's a leech right now. She benefits off of the hard work of everyone else, which is why she and her husband are struggling.

7) AJH and MY will end up liking one another romantically before the truth about him not being their biological brother gets out. You can already see it happening. AJH keeps everyone, even his team, somewhat at a distance, for obvious reasons. He has abandonment issues. MY has been too busy trying to obtain a career, she hasn't had time to date. Yet, these two are already understanding and confiding in each other.

8) AJH's mother will find out that he is "living with his father" and she will come back into the picture and then the you know what will hit the fan. It is inevitable. The lie between appa and YS will come to light. Quite frankly, it is about time. It has been a strain trying to keep that lie going anyway.

I really like the pace of this drama, and I am enjoying all of the different story arcs between the characters and how they all are intertwined. Let's keep watching and continue this journey with this family together. :) 

Just a note, that SJ's mom is infantile and cruel in her self importance and lack of appreciation for other people. Her husband's treatment was hurtful to her, and he also does not appreciate her good qualities, perhaps if he did, he could have softened her so she would not be so hard on others. I don't like either one of them. If the Dad is retired, he should have his own retirement pension or earnings? Why is he completely dependent on his wealthy wife? Why do'n't they have a servant anyway?  She owns a building and a cafe on a whim, so I would think she could have a housekeeper.  I have not seen one thing in their relationship so far that makes it salvageable. I guess while he was working it was easier to tolerate her because he wasn't home so much. Not sure how the writers are going to develop this.

15 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

O

6) The uncle and his wife are going to try and use the family secrets to get ahead. I can just feel it. They are mediocre in every way, yet they always stood by on the sidelines judging everyone else. I thought it was telling when they found out about AJH, the sister in law said she was envious of YS because she had it so good...and I thought, but YS is out there working hard everyday for her family. Then it hit me, the sister in law literally has no identity. She doesn't have a career, hobby, talent that sets her apart from helping out at the snack shop. She's a leech right now. She benefits off of the hard work of everyone else, which is why she and her husband are struggling.

I just wanted to reply to this point since I agree about the rest but the aunt actually also babysits and I have seen her with a small child and she does this as a side job to help with expenses. It is a bit unfair to describe her as a leech yes she was stealing the food from the restaurant but her mother in law was assisting her in doing that and she works when she is at the restaurant. I don't think you can describe her working at the restaurant as nothing because she is alone Papa Byun is away. She deserves to be paid but from what I recalled from her conversation they were not paying her fair wages being family and all, hence the food stealing was supplementary. She does say 'no need to pay me' but you should pay normal wages even if she is family.

Archived