Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Don't you think the entire first part is 

Reveal hidden contents

PYY's arc? :wink: Although it's not known at first but gradually it becomes clear that he's practically behind just about every nasty occurrence.

Like you, I'm very fond of the sinking ships arc especially as an intro to the Changlin family and to the fact that all is not well in Liang. That while the Changlin family are a talented, loyal, upright clan, they are feared as much as they are loved. The fight scenes are great and I love that bit where DTZ whips out his ginormous needles and flings them in the direction of Magistrate Zhang, Yuanqi, JP and LX. It's a great sequence that shows off in no uncertain terms PJ's skill. I also like it for how it demonstrates PJ's acumen and observation skills that he's still in the process of honing. Some people complain that there was too much exposition and while I manage to work it all out before he did his Hercule Poirot shtick, it's important for his character to broadcast his talents.

LOL, regarding the spoiler tag , you're right :tongue: . Let me correct myself . What I meant was PJ poisoning arc. I'll explain later below.

Regarding the 1st arc, DTZ throwing his needles is also one of my fave! It was kinda surprising, coz they were talking then suddenly he moved, and I 'whoaa'-ed. That' s a cool martial art sequences there. Plus, I was happy because LX could fight! I thought that she was 'just' an expert in medical who knew no martial arts, so I was surprised again when she dodged. Although she failed to avoid all of the needles, but that was okay, since it gave a chance for PJ to save her in the critical moment. That was kinda sweet :tongue: , to see PJ got panicked and spontaneously protected her. 

But my favourite would be the epidemic arc. It has a strong sense of urgency and it's good to see at least for a time and to some degree political adversaries reaching out across the divide and working together for the common good. Sure, Grand Sec Xun does his bit for the Empress behind the scenes but even he knows that he can't get the job without Pingzhang's help. At least he is politically astute and expedient enough to be able to do that much. The empress is a lost cause. She doesn't even know how to play politics.

Also, I'm super fond of PJ and LX's blossoming romance even though I didn't watch this for the romance and this arc has plenty of PJ and LX goodness. It's nice to see that all of PJ's efforts... just really him being him... finally make inroads into LX's heart.

My fave part is actually started from the epidemic arc. If I have to narrow it down, then I choose PJ poisoning arc as the part that I like more. It felt more intense and thrilling, since it is a direct attack from PYY to the Chang Lin(well, although this is not the first one) and a head-to-head fight between PZ and PYY (oh how I wish that this was longer and more in-depth, since they were both intelligent, strategic and cool-headed). Plus, I hate the Queen, and it's annoying to see Grand Sec Xun covering up her stupid mistake. I honestly like Grand Sec Xun in that arc , but still ..that little sis is gotta go. She is too annoying.

I also love the epidemic arc for the same reason like you *lol*. I think, the writer really meant for their romance to blossom at that moment. It started with PJ teasing LX, and she got mad, then PJ told his sister-in-law : "But I used to tease her like that, and she never got angry" . Aww, PJ you dumb boy :tongue: .  Then, yeah it's nice to see their love blossoming (although I felt the urge to yell at PJ,"How come you're so slow on her secret?? Think PJ, think!" ). 

And if we look at those 2 arcs (epidemic and PJ poisoning), then we'll see that those two are facing life and death situations together. They feel the fear of loosing the other and realize how important the other was for them. 

As for PJ's future

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, while it might be hard to move on, he can't continue living in guilt as that will poison him but he can, however, live positively in gratitude for what he has been given and treasure what advantages he enjoys while he can, knowing that there are no guarantees in life.

Yes, I hope that PJ will reach that state. Until then,  I'll gladly watch his character development to try to handle this loss and to realize what he has to do for his future. 

Anyway, thx for the recommendation on NIF 1. Let's see whether I can watch it until it finishes :D

• Like 3

What I also like in NIF 2 is Puyang Ying.  There's something about the actor that conveys a villain without over-reacting it.

He got his 'oh' moments 

DSVyDguUEAIRrc7.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

What I also like in NIF 2 is Puyang Ying.  There's something about the actor that conveys a villain without over-reacting it.

He got his 'oh' moments 

Thanks for the documentary video! Love to see the casts behind the scenes.

PYY is charismatic as a villain. His calm and cool-headed style is amusing and interesting to watch.

I actually wish that he stayed alive until the end and became PJ's adversary and worked together with Yuanqi . Then PJ could kill him as a revenge for his brother. Then again, I think that's too typical and has become a general plot in many dramas :tongue: .

Btw, would someone tell me how to insert image ? I tried using tag [ I M G ], but it didn't work . Thanks!

• Like 1

If there are any who are lurking about in this thread wondering if they should watch this drama, I'd encourage you to go for it. Even if you think you won't like it as much as the first one, it will still be better than 90% of C dramas out there. Personally I think it is at least as good as the first one even if the entire approach is different. I know some people aren't big fans of Huang Xiaoming but trust me, he is very good here. I'm not a fan myself but there's no denying that he's made his mark here.

@rhaps -- if you want to post a picture, you will need to first upload your image on a third party host site like Flickr. Then copy the URL here.

@rhaps  @LyraYoo 

Re: Puyang Ying

Spoiler

Bar the terrible face powder, he's a great villain in terms of his patient scheming. It's incredible when you think of how long he's waited to execute his plan. 25 years. He starts off being a Moriarty figure that's lurking in the shadows. The bad face powder is undoubtedly part of his priestly gear although I can see why he's been associated with Batman's Joker.

With all his cleverness, I feel he's miscalculated. He wasn't wrong to believe that PZ was a formidable obstacle he had to take out of the equation but it seemed he didn't consider PJ a threat. Which may end up being a mistake.

I imagine that since the Yelin threat has been diffused, the infighting within Liang will intensify.

• Like 5

Thanks @40somethingahjumma. I did that before, but it's still didn't work *sigh* . I've posted the url that was given by the image hosting, but it still failed

I heard some bad comments about HXM's acting. I only watched Return of Condor Heroes as his drama that I watched fully. Other than that, I only took a peek at several dramas of his, like Shanghai Bund and one of his movies (I forgot the title). I think his acting was average, but I dunno how bad he is in his other dramas. Now, I really really love him in NIF 2. He's really good and charismatic, and he and LHR are my favorite characters. In fact, he is one of the best things in this drama.

Btw, in epi 30 :

I noticed that Xiao Tinsheng told PJ to forget about marriage promise (pls CMIIW). I thought that it was quite funny coz it was like encouraging PJ to love every girl that he wanted. So if he decides to open up his heart for LX in the future, then he'll end up getting close to fulfill that promise,  while thinking that he has let go of it.

Now, I'm wondering if perhaps PJ will realize who she is near the end of the series :tongue: . I think the writer wanted PJ to love someone because he wanted to, and not because he had to.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rhaps said:

Thanks @40somethingahjumma. I did that before, but it's still didn't work *sigh* . I've posted the url that was given by the image hosting, but it still failed

I heard some bad comments about HXM's acting. I only watched Return of Condor Heroes as his drama that I watched fully. Other than that, I only took a peek at several dramas of his, like Shanghai Bund and one of his movies (I forgot the title). I think his acting was average, but I dunno how bad he is in his other dramas. Now, I really really love him in NIF 2. He's really good and charismatic, and he and LHR are my favorite characters. In fact, he is one of the best things in this drama.

Btw, in epi 30 :

Hide contents

I noticed that Xiao Tinsheng told PJ to forget about marriage promise (pls CMIIW). I thought that it was quite funny coz it was like encouraging PJ to love every girl that he wanted. So if he decides to open up his heart for LX in the future, then he'll end up getting close to fulfill that promise,  while thinking that he has let go of it.

Now, I'm wondering if perhaps PJ will realize who she is near the end of the series :tongue: . I think the writer wanted PJ to love someone because he wanted to, and not because he had to.

this is a spoiler to who maybe will die next etc.. dont click unless you want that discussion

Spoiler

I did think Xiao Tinsheng will die at least from spoilers before the show aired it says his dad and brother die so i wonder when Xiao will die. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wotad said:

this is a spoiler to who maybe will die next etc.. dont click unless you want that discussion

Hide contents

I did think Xiao Tinsheng will die at least from spoilers before the show aired it says his dad and brother die so i wonder when Xiao will die. 

The story description did say that PJ has to take over the leadership of the Chang Lin. He was mourning in the ending theme, and I thought that he did that for PZ, but he didnt. So it should be for Dad. 

In the ending theme/MV/extended preview, we also saw the taking down of Chang Lin banners and it seemed that PJ would have to leave the manor. So, personally, I think PJ should have time to fight alone against those enemies and the drama wont let Dad to die too late. I'm guessing that Dad will die between epi 34-40. 

18 hours ago, rhaps said:

Btw, in epi 30 :

Hide contents

I had only ever seen Huang Xiaoming in Return of the Condor Heroes before this and I honestly thought he was okay. I don't really follow actors with regards to my choices in dramas because even good actors do duds. I tend to go with storylines because as we can see in the case of NiF 1 and 2, it almost doesn't matter who the star is because the storytelling and acting's pretty much on the money. I remember people saying they didn't like HuGe before watching NiF and then changing their minds about him later. Even average actors can do well under good direction... not that I think HG or HXM are average mind you. But there's a lot more to a drama or film than the actors.

As for PJ

Spoiler

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" he confesses to LX. :tongue::wink: I am quite certain he knows how he feels about her but he can't make himself take that step to be honest with her. After all he has this longing look every time he passes by a Ji Feng Hall. I don't think he's missing the Old Master or the herbs in the pharmacy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I had only ever seen Huang Xiaoming in Return of the Condor Heroes before this and I honestly thought he was okay. I don't really follow actors with regards to my choices in dramas because even good actors do duds. I tend to go with storylines because as we can see in the case of NiF 1 and 2, it almost doesn't matter who the star is because the storytelling and acting's pretty much on the money. I remember people saying they didn't like HuGe before watching NiF and then changing their minds about him later. Even average actors can do well under good direction... not that I think HG or HXM are average mind you. But there's a lot more to a drama or film than the actors.

As for PJ

Reveal hidden contents

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" he confesses to LX. :tongue::wink: I am quite certain he knows how he feels about her but he can't make himself take that step to be honest with her. After all he has this longing look every time he passes by a Ji Feng Hall. I don't think he's missing the Old Master or the herbs in the pharmacy.

Exactly. I still check on the actors names before I watch a drama, but there are still ones that I enjoy without actors that I like. I heard that people praise the director and the scriptwriter of NIF/NIF 2. I, myself, think that the production quality of NIF 2 is above average. 

On PJ :

*LOL* ..you're right, it's a mater of 'when'. He did miss her, and didnt he also think about her when the bird/pigeon died and his subordinate called a doctor? Please cmiiw.  He just couldnt accept her helping PZ . I dont blame him. I rewatched epi 1-2 and, awww ..the bromance were really warm.

Btw, if you said that 'when he will confess', then are you sure that he'll be the one who confess? *LOL* . I'm considering the possibility that LX will be the one instead, hahaha *is that even possible?*. Well, perhaps she'll be sick again and blurt out her true feeling for him *LOL*

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rhaps said:

Exactly. I still check on the actors names before I watch a drama, but there are still ones that I enjoy without actors that I like. I heard that people praise the director and the scriptwriter of NIF/NIF 2. I, myself, think that the production quality of NIF 2 is above average. 

On PJ :

Hide contents

*LOL* ..you're right, it's a mater of 'when'. He did miss her, and didnt he also think about her when the bird/pigeon died and his subordinate called a doctor? Please cmiiw.  He just couldnt accept her helping PZ . I dont blame him. I rewatched epi 1-2 and, awww ..the bromance were really warm.

Btw, if you said that 'when he will confess', then are you sure that he'll be the one who confess? *LOL* . I'm considering the possibility that LX will be the one instead, hahaha *is that even possible?*. Well, perhaps she'll be sick again and blurt out her true feeling for him *LOL*

Spoiler

I have no idea who will confess first but I assume it's him because he is the one that ran away and hid so naturally I'm assuming that he will have to be the one who walks out of that cave and embrace life to the fullest. It's not as if he didn't know why she did it despite knowing full well that he would rather have died than taken this brother's blood.

His father was giving him his blessing to follow his heart and so was his sister-in-law every time she mentioned Lin Xi. PJ can be fearless in the face of a fight but he needs the courage to move on without PZ. His guilt and fear is keeping him from living life to the fullest. As long as he keeps thinking that the world would've been better off with him dead then yeah... he'll keep hiding.

Yes, he was most likely thinking of her when his subordinate was trying to get their camp physician to look at the injured pigeon.

• Like 3

Been lurking and reading...and I was so happy to read shifu's @40somethingahjumma

input on every thread. I'm so excited to to watch on how the scheming and plotting will unfold on each episode. I think the release of episodes here in the Philippines are very slow. ep 25 and 26 are still not subtitled. :(

• Like 4

Arrghh, I need English subs!

Epi 31-32, would anyone care to explain :

Please CMIIW :
- the new enemy was the Kingdom Yu, right ? Wasnt that the same Kingdom with Touba Yu's ?
- so there were 2 enemies of Yu : one was Pingzhang's enemy, the high official who attacked the border in epi 27-28, while the other one was a Prince, a new character, right ?
- Pingjing and the gank were all sneaking into the Kingdom Yu, disguising themselves as merchants, and the Jifeng Hall doctor said that LX was also going there (that's why Pingjing realized that the girl nearby was LX and the girl that he saw was indeed her)
- now the important thing is : why should Pingjing go there ? Did this new Prince want to attack the Liang, so Pingjing decided to investigate their movements ?
- and Yuanqi, did he read Pingjing's letter ?? Did he tell PIngjing's plan to Grand Sec Xun? (and tried to cooperate with him)

That Xun Anru seemed to be a good girl, and I hate to see her ending up with Yuanqi. Okay, so our 'new PYY' is Yuanqi now. Pingjing's enemies are now Yuanqi, the Yu's people, and Grand Sec Yu+Empress

This is what happen when I can't wait for new episodes with english subs :tongue::( . I have to choose between the torture of waiting vs watching the raws :bawling:

Regarding PJ-LX, I love their reunion :wub:. I was afraid that it would be too dramatic and/or superficial, like what usually happened in other dramas. Here, there's no overly dramatic-romantic scenes. They just met, that's it, and I was surprised when PJ suddenly popped up there. But it was still touching and sweet, coz they both gave that longing expressions and there was love in their eyes. You immediately knew that they missed each other, and despite the cold, I-dont-want-to-look-at-you gestures, it's obvious that they really longed for each other and held back their feelings.

I like PJ's subordinate :tongue: . And it seemed that everyone knew about LX, or at least has guessed that PJ-LX were close :tongue:

@40somethingahjumma , I think that you are right about that pouch's content :

Pingjing is going to use it for his benefit, I dunno how, though

Btw, dunno why, but I think LX is getting prettier. She's not very pretty and stunning like Tong Liya, but she's really elegant and feminine. I think she's really compatible with the masculine aggressive Pingjing.

@ces8 , hi hi .. the more people here, the merrier :tongue: . There's indeed no sub for 25-26, yet. I'm still waiting for it myself

• Like 4

Been reading the posts and catching up on the thread except for the spoilers and thank you all for the discussion and most of all the spoiler warnings. I am in ep 24 at DF and so tempted to read the spoilers but I will wait for the subs in DF. I have a feeling something worse is still to come for the Changlin Princes. As for the Empress, I get it that being in charge of the Harem with all the backdoor politics, is a demanding job and she does have to protect her own interests but boy is she dumb and totally clueless. In the end all she cared about even at the death of the many people was saving her neck. Can't wait for the next episodes. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rhaps said:

Arrghh, I need English subs!

Epi 31-32, would anyone care to explain :

Hide contents

Please CMIIW :
- the new enemy was the Kingdom Yu, right ? Wasnt that the same Kingdom with Touba Yu's ?
- so there were 2 enemies of Yu : one was Pingzhang's enemy, the high official who attacked the border in epi 27-28, while the other one was a Prince, a new character, right ?
- Pingjing and the gank were all sneaking into the Kingdom Yu, disguising themselves as merchants, and the Jifeng Hall doctor said that LX was also going there (that's why Pingjing realized that the girl nearby was LX and the girl that he saw was indeed her)
- now the important thing is : why should Pingjing go there ? Did this new Prince want to attack the Liang, so Pingjing decided to investigate their movements ?
- and Yuanqi, did he read Pingjing's letter ?? Did he tell PIngjing's plan to Grand Sec Xun? (and tried to cooperate with him)

That Xun Anru seemed to be a good girl, and I hate to see her ending up with Yuanqi. Okay, so our 'new PYY' is Yuanqi now. Pingjing's enemies are now Yuanqi, the Yu's people, and Grand Sec Yu+Empress

This is what happen when I can't wait for new episodes with english subs :tongue::( . I have to choose between the torture of waiting vs watching the raws :bawling:

Regarding PJ-LX, I love their reunion :wub:. I was afraid that it would be too dramatic and/or superficial, like what usually happened in other dramas. Here, there's no overly dramatic-romantic scenes. They just met, that's it, and I was surprised when PJ suddenly popped up there. But it was still touching and sweet, coz they both gave that longing expressions and there was love in their eyes. You immediately knew that they missed each other, and despite the cold, I-dont-want-to-look-at-you gestures, it's obvious that they really longed for each other and held back their feelings.

I like PJ's subordinate :tongue: . And it seemed that everyone knew about LX, or at least has guessed that PJ-LX were close :tongue:

In response (containing spoilers for 31-32):

Spoiler

The enemy here is the one that Pingzhang faced off in the beginning of the drama in Ganzhou and at the end of his life -- Yu or literally Great Yu. The folk here like to add da 大 before talking about the different states/dynasties. Tuoba Yu is from Northern Yan (Bei Yan) who used to be a friendly state until their king went berserk and gave Yu access through one of their mountains.

There's a sharp disagreement between two lords about whether they should go to war with Liang. The one who killed his nephew... is determined to fight... and is probably the king's brother (wang ye) Prince Kang. The other one that came to see him was previously the chief marshall, Ruan Ying who was in combat with Pingzhang previously. (Sorry I got a bit mixed up because someone mentioned shi zhi) He was sent by their king to try and persuade the other guy to back down and hold their forces. Prince Kang wants to seize the opportunity to attack while Liang is vulnerable: new young emperor just ascended the throne, House of Changlin has lost its oldest son, sent a whippersnapper to the front and the Old Prince is occupied with court matters. 

Physician Du did tell Pingjing that Lin Xi's been wandering around in the northern border picking herbs and may have likely crossed the border into Yu. She'd been sending the occasional letter telling people where she'd been but he wasn't sure about her exact location at the time of speaking. He also commented that he and LX seem to be connected by some fate as they seem to end up in the same place(s).

PJ snuck into the Yu camp in order to determine what the state of affairs was with regard to the differences of opinion within Yu about going to war. 

I don't think it's a big secret that Pingjing feels confident to deal with an attack from Yu. Yuanqi (Big Sigh) approached Grand Sec Xun to say that he's concerned that PJ might be going to war not for the good of king and country but to make a name for himself and for the honour of the Changlin family, intimating that he might be prone to recklessness. He plays on GS Xun's fear of the Changlin family's power and talks up the fears that the royal court has about the family's favoured position and if PJ actually does achieve something great, the family will be even more favoured.  [I am so angry with his parents right now... mother especially... for setting him on this path although I accept that the path he's chosen now is all on him. Looking at his scenes with the Old Prince, I can only imagine how things would be so different if his mother had moved on and let him spend more time with the Changlin family and experience things with them.] 

Hi @ces8 Good to see you here too dear! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the series. I think I've found my new C drama addiction.

Edited: Corrected mistakes under spoiler tags and added more information about the Yu big wigs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Been reading the posts and catching up on the thread except for the spoilers and thank you all for the discussion and most of all the spoiler warnings. I am in ep 24 at DF and so tempted to read the spoilers but I will wait for the subs in DF. I have a feeling something worse is still to come for the Changlin Princes. As for the Empress, I get it that being in charge of the Harem with all the backdoor politics, is a demanding job and she does have to protect her own interests but boy is she dumb and totally clueless. In the end all she cared about even at the death of the many people was saving her neck. Can't wait for the next episodes. 

Hi, there! It's good that you wait for the english subs, coz when you start reading/watching spoilers, then you'll want to know more and you wont stop . It's torturing *LOL* 

I've also been waiting for epi 25-26 with subs. It should be available today and tomorrow, I think ?. I have to give big thanks to all of the subbers out there, for their hard efforts and providing us with subs really quickly. 

@40somethingahjumma, you're my saviour! Big big thanks to you! Now' I'm considering to stop watching raws and waiting for the english subs, but how can I wait for a week?? This is a dilemma ..*sigh*

Yeah, I noticed that they talked about Xiao Tinsheng and Pingjing, so I was really curious what they were talking about (btw, how could they expect to win if their security was that bad? :tongue: ) . And to think that Pingjing could sneak up THAT close , that should mean that there were no soldier/official who was skilled enough to hear his movement. No wonder if PJ was confident in winning the war :tongue:

Btw, I dont quite understand the logic of Yuanqi's reasoning (and Xun's prejudice). I knew that he would add things to his story, in order to manipulate Xun. Then again, even if Pingjing does go to war because of recklesness, then isnt the war initiated by the Great Yu themselves? In other words, Pingjing is only in defending position, so you cant say that he's fighting to make a name for himself. Is Xun preferring to negotiate with the Yu? But, that means, the Liang will have to give in to their demands, in order for the Yu to stop attacking.

Yes, I'm very angry with Yuanqi now. I think he is worse than PYY. PYY is crazy and everyone can see that, but Yuanqi pretends to be nice, while stabbing the Xiao from the back. He is manipulating Xun (and the Empress) to go against the Chang Lin. Then after he is succeeded,  I believe that he's going to attack Xun and the Empress. 

Ohh, should I watch  epi 33 tonight or should I wait until next week?? I believe that Pingjing is going to use the eclipse in the war against the Yu, and I'm dying to watch it :bawling: 

• Like 4

Weibo updates / photo stills a.k.a devouring the majestic colors 

Pingjing is growing up indeed

DTkwxTVU0AA8NGe.jpg

Puyang Ying

DTo2Aq4VAAAOODM.jpg

Spoiler

DTo2COnVMAA7lky.jpgDTo2GrpU0AALJY0.jpgDTo2O-OVMAIRJQZ.jpg

Pingzhang

C9m-C4aUAAAr7H6.jpg

Spoiler

C9m-EF0UAAAs2Qy.jpgC9m-FZEUIAE0Yqk.jpgC9m-G2wUAAE3zM_.jpgDTlmjScUQAATCFN.jpgDTlmkp9VMAAQ5wQ.jpgDTlmlWaVMAEqdeK.jpgDTlml_CV4AAmrCi.jpg

Other casts (spoilers) 

Spoiler

DTkw9j0U0AAmABf.jpgDTkwyd3U8AIHYrA.jpgDTkwzeJV4AAtHNq.jpgDTkw0fdUMAApvql.jpgDTkw_EvVAAAvZA3.jpgDTkxAIGUMAACYWn.jpgDTkxBFPUQAAiHQ3.jpgDTUaZz0VAAABbLQ.jpgDTUaa7eVAAA06w2.jpgDTUacM9VoAAmNS8.jpgDTUadaHV4AArFU3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@rhaps -- I understand your dilemma. :wink: It's how I feel about some K dramas that I really like. It's times like these I'm glad I was forced to learn Mandarin in school although wading historical dramas can be a killer at times. :D I keep hunting for NiF 2 previews but I never seem to be able to find any for this show. There was always plenty of those for Princess Agents.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should hold off myself because I'm getting a bit nervous for PJ. 

It's not very hard for anyone to cast aspersions on the Changlin family with the merest whisper. In Australia there is a phenomenon called the Tall Poppy syndrome. When someone becomes popular and successful, eventually they become the object of fear and jealousy. Those who are hostile towards the successful party will latch on to any little thing to drag their name through the mud or cut them down whether or not the successful party are good people, bad or indifferent. There are already fears rumbling through court of Changlin's favoured position, so to use that as a foothold in gaining traction with the right people is a given.

Jealousy and fear lead people to have irrational thoughts which lead to irrational behaviour. It is in human nature to assume the worst. We know of course that the Changlin family has earned every favour and respect... they've even shed blood and been at death's door protecting the country and the imperial family. It frustrates me endlessly that certain people can't see past the favoured status bit to the meritous contributions. The Empress really gets on my nerves in that regard. 

Right throughout the show there are people who are largely driven by ambition. They believe that if they make their mark, they will receive the recognition they crave and gain some measure of power. Those who think those thoughts find it hard to believe that anybody else could be driven by virtues that transcend self-interest and personal gain. They're are constantly projecting onto the Changlin family notions they themselves hold to. Those characters become villains by way of being obstructionist. They do great things because they seek glory for themselves and their clan, sceptical that there are people who do great things just to serve their country. Or at least they believe that those who serve nobly with no thought for their own glory are naive beyond belief.

The Old Prince and his wife indoctrinated their sons from young about the responsibilities of being a member of the family to the extent even Pingjing with all his carefree ways knows what all that entails. Others looking in see the privileges but the men of this family understand what it means to carry the burden of the position.

Yuanqi

Spoiler

I am not without sympathy because he grew up fatherless and not knowing what it was his father did to deserve ignominy. Still, it's sad that he is probably about to repeat history. I keep hoping that he isn't really embarking on the road to hell but the way he skulks around when no one's watching is unmistakable. The Changlin family have been so good to him and the thought that he might turn around and stab them in the back is very upsetting.

I don't think the Xun clan trusts him that much but they'll use him nonetheless.

Lin Xi

Spoiler

She does look lovely in these last couple of episodes. It's good to see her smile a bit more. She even looked happy when she saw PJ again on the mountain. For a moment she probably thought he came looking for her. But her strength of character is such that she's kept herself busy while hoping in the back of her mind that he would come looking. I'm glad that he's worried enough about her safety to "break the embargo" to see her. The awkwardness between them after he pulled her up was cute. She actually looked happy for a brief moment.

I feel a bit sorry for her. She spent the early days keeping him at bay and trying not to get emotionally involved with him and now when she's in love with him, he finds it so hard to look at her. It's admirable that she's been able to maintain her grace and maturity in this situation.

Da Yu

Spoiler

They have their own internal strife so Pingjing can count on that in his favour  There's blood between Ruan Ying and Prince Kang. The latter eyes the former with suspicion. I guess the prince wants to make a  name for himself which is why he thinks Ruan Ying is holding him back because of a personal agenda. 

• Like 4

Coming from this post

tumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko1_250.giftumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko2_250.giftumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko3_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko4_250.giftumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko5_250.giftumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko6_500.giftumblr_p2izktQHZn1rp3aeko7_500.gif

Boy knows how to fight + naturally comes with a giant wind machine!

38 minutes ago, Wotad said:

its ratings are going up it hit 0.584 on the 15th , it hit 0.831 on the 12th .

overall ratings are much higher on average 

Thank you for the ratings update. It's good to know more viewers are tuning in ! 

• Like 3