[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

46 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Btw, I have a question :

Hide contents

1. What did LX ask to Lanyang master? She seemd to ask about Pingjing/the Xiao family

2. Tinsheng already knew about LX's identity. Did he find out in episode 2? What did he ask LX, which made PJ surprised? I've suspected that he knew, since he eyes LX's master suspiciously in epi 2, after Master Li said that the mother-daughter should be okay and didnt want to be found. Besides, it's suspicious enough to send a single young maiden to accompany a young single man, knowing that the man was already engaged. Something like that should not escape the eyes of an experienced person like Tinsheng. 

Well, it seems that the whole family knows about LX, besides PJ himself (before they die? :tongue: ) . I suspect that Dad will tell sister-in-law too (then perhaps she'll tell him about LX?) I really love how Qian Xue still act as a wise sister , eventhough her husband literally died to help PJ. The love between the Xiao family member is so beautiful.

3. Did Dad announce that the Xiao family will not lead the Chang Lin army anymore?

Tried to answer some of your questions! I'm no translator so I may have missed some important underlying messages in the dialogue.

1. I assume you mean the Master of the Langya Hall? LX went there to ask if the master had any ways to help Pingjing get out of the difficult situation (he was about to be summoned and interrogated in court). The Langya Hall Master emphasized that the Langya Hall does not get involved in court politics. Despite that, if any thing ever happens to PJ, he can find safety at Langya Hall. LX is not convinced, but the master explains that Changlin Manor do not need his help at this time - Tingsheng is no common man. It is not that he cannot play politics, its that he doesn't want to learn. TS was a student of MCS! Of course he knows the intricacies of court battles - but he values the other lessons MCS taught him even more. 

2. He doesn't mention WHEN he realized LX's identity, but he says that she looks very similar to his father. I guess he put two and two together somewhere along the way.

3. He offered to give up the Changlin Manor's power if the King feels worried/fear them. The court interrogation didn't really end on a conclusive note - TS just laid out the situation, facts, and results to the court (and his lesson to the young King) before falling. I assume the King is still yet to make his decision on punishments (if any). 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropping by to say hi eventhough i hv not caught up with you all yet. Up to 26 and i m already in tears and having very heavy heart to watch on. This is exactly the same experience i went thru with NiF1 and i totally missed that feeling. Gosh :dissapointed_relieved: 

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

Regarding Yuanqi :

Hide contents

I actually have more hope for Yuanqi after epi 36. He was listening to Tinsheng's speech the whole time. Even the young emperor learned something. Based on the preview /MV, I know that he'll make more mistakes, but there is still a chance to repent. It's gonna be great if PJ can have his friend back. Afterall, Yuanqi only has little chance to receive proper guidance.

Spoiler

i think Yuanqi will turn real dark from what ive read and seen , like in the trailer him fighting PJ etc..

Im not sure if its only me but ive hated him since he found out the truth of his dad i feel like everything hes doing is fake . 

1 hour ago, littlemay said:

is it too much to ask if someone can translate what LX said to PJ's Dad in the preview, when he asked the question you were not able to avoid this (I think he meant falling for PJ). I couldn't understand her replied.:huh:

Is that the one at the end of Ep. 36?

Spoiler

XTS: She didn't want you the same for you. Right?

But in the end, you still couldn't avoid this sadness. Isn't that right, child?

LX: People without exception have hearts, how can they not have hurts?

Then he echoes what she says and adds: These words are very well said.

Arrrrrgh... I barely got over 27-30 and now I have to struggle through all this angst again.

I don't remember going through this kind of emotional rollercoaster with the first one.

42 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Hide contents

Arrrrrgh... I barely got over 27-30 and now I have to struggle through all this angst again.

I don't remember going through this kind of emotional rollercoaster with the first one.

Based on episode 36 (don’t understand but guessing), PJ knows who LX is? 

I wasn't going to translate next week's episode preview but I thought I needed some cheering up :wink:

Episode 38 (Video and translation) Pingjing, Xiao Xue, Xiao Ce and Lin Xi in Langya Mountain

Spoiler

Segment 1

Xiao Xue: A pigeon has flown into Langya Pavilion

PJ: At Langya Pavilion, there's always been more pigeons than people. If only one has come, that could be somewhat odd.

XX: Why are you learning to speak like Lin Jiu ( disciple of the Old Master)?

PJ: I'm not learning from Lin Jiu, I'm clearly emulating the Old Master. 'In the ways of the world, the most important thing is to let nature takes its course.'

XX: Miss Lin is about to come up the mountain, do you intend to continue in this way?

PJ: What did you just say? Lin Xi is coming up the mountain?

Segment 2

Lin Jiu: Ce'er, you can't triumph over your uncle in this sort of game. Otherwise during the night he will suffer to the point of not sleeping.

Ce'er: Then Ce'er will let Second Uncle win.

PJ: Ce'er, you're shameless. (To LJ) Also, giving in isn't used like this. What sort of trouble are you causing? I could have won.

LJ: It's just as well Miss Lin didn't come over earlier. Otherwise she would have been witness to this scene.

PJ: What did you just say? Lin Xi's arrived? Ce'er come over!

Ce'er: Mother, mother, mother!

XX: Ce'er, hurry, call Auntie. When you were born, Auntie was the first one to carry you.

Ce'er: Auntie

LX: Definitely somewhat taller than most children

Ce'er: I will be taller than 2nd Uncle in future. 2nd Uncle, come over!

XX: Pingjing

PJ: Sister-in-law. (To LX) You've returned.

XX: Ce'er is sleepy, I'll take him away to have an afternoon nap. We'll chat more tonight. (To CE) Let's go.

Ce'er: Ce'er doesn't want to sleep, Ce'er's not the least bit sleepy.

XX: Let's go

PJ: Sit/ Take a seat

@transki -- Not sure... haven't watch either 35 or 36 fully. But there's no indication that he does know who she is at this stage. But the Old Prince does.

@LyraYoo

Far be it from me to be passing judgement about other people reading spoilers... but I'm sure you would have forgotten it by the time you get to Ep. 30. :wink: I don't think it's that spoilery anyway.

I watched that scene again in Ep 19 to compare the translations and yeah, @liddi's is much more precise than Viki's. It is a great scene... got me all choked up emotionally. I adore all these family moments... Xiao Tingsheng grew up to be such a wise military leader and strategist. He brought up two incredible sons and taught them well. Mr Su and Jingyan would be so proud of him.

Ah... you have now entered my favourite arc... the epidemic... yeah, it's great. Don't forget to give us more gifs of PJ and LX. Woot!

Re: Yuanqi

Spoiler

I really don't know what that kid is thinking quite honestly. It's disappointing watching him go down that road when he didn't need to. I am hoping that like PZ's birth father he will redeem himself down the line. I don't want to join his hate club just yet but he's making it really hard for me to understand his rationale. Why for goodness sake would he repeat both his parents' mistakes?

Re: Linxi -- I love her more and more as the show progresses. She really does have a good head on those shoulders. She really fits the Changlin spousal mould. PJ will need her in the dark days ahead.

Re: Xun siblings -- I don't want to waste too many pixels on them. Suffice to say: What a waste of oxygen. They are going to single-handedly destroy the monarchy that they say they're trying desperately to protect. Actually no... they're all about self-interest.

@rhaps -- Sorry dear... didn't mean to be a purveyor of temptation. :D

Thank you for the shoutout @LyraYoo Real life being what it is, I would probably not be a frequent poster here. However, I will say that 琅玡榜之风起长林 Nirvana in Fire 2 has truly been an eye-opener. Admittedly, I was more than a little apprehensive when I saw the cast line-up, particularly Huang Xiaoming whose works I have never really enjoyed prior to this. However, he proved me wrong and made Xiao Pingzhang his own, giving him a gravitas, warmth and strength of character that made his loss all the more painful to watch. Sun Chun's Xiao Tingsheng is easily my favourite of all the characters - his wisdom, unfailing love and loyalty for his sons, his brother and king, and his country, and his incorruptible moral compass, steering his own life and shining the beacon with which his sons would live and die by. The unshakeable bonds of family, encompassing and transcending blood-ties are the fabric of this epic tale, making it doubly heartbreaking as we see each and every one of them fall - Pingzhang, the King, and now Xiao Tingsheng... men whose ties remain unbroken, unchanging, despite the turbulence of their respective pasts and the shifting landscape of their times. 

What sets this drama apart from most of the rest, is also its portrayal of the kings. When even its predecessor featured a ruthless and evil king, Nirvana in Fire 2 gave us first a wise king, whose love for his adopted brother was so great that even on his deathbed, his only concern was how to protect Xiao Tingsheng from the enemies that wait eagerly to tear him and the legacy of Changlin down. With his successor, we see not a weak king, but a young, inexperienced one - one who took his father's counsel to heart, to respect and trust Xiao Tingsheng. While his fears had swayed his resolve, I am hopeful that he too, would in turn, look deep into his own heart and make the right decisions at the critical moments, growing up to be a king worthy of Changlin's loyalty and the blood of Changlin men who died to secure his reign.

There are two versions of the closing theme 清平愿 - the female version sung by 黄绮珊, and the male's by 多亮. Its lyrics never fail to move me to tears... and is such a perfect depiction of the Changlin family who would live and die to secure peace in the land of Liang.

唤男儿归来战北方
Summon the men to return and fight in the north

寸心寸血挽长缰
Inch by inch of heart and blood, the reins are pulled

论豪气何曾怨悲凉
Only pride and courage, no resentment or sorrow

清平世间享
That peace may be enjoyed throughout the world

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Reveal hidden contents

@40somethingahjumma Thank you so much! It makes sense now.  Chinese is so hard to understand, it's like they talk in poetry.

7 hours ago, SyntaxError said:

Just have to say that Shandong/Daylight is perhaps the only Chinese production company I can trust to  consistently put out good dramas.

exactly and when we think this was written for the show and was not based on a book like the 1st im impressed with how they have done , they should try create a world based around NIF like Novoland ;p 

5 hours ago, liddi said:

Thank you for the shoutout @LyraYoo Real life being what it is, I would probably not be a frequent poster here. However, I will say that 琅玡榜之风起长林 Nirvana in Fire 2 has truly been an eye-opener. Admittedly, I was more than a little apprehensive when I saw the cast line-up, particularly Huang Xiaoming whose works I have never really enjoyed prior to this. However, he proved me wrong and made Xiao Pingzhang his own, giving him a gravitas, warmth and strength of character that made his loss all the more painful to watch. Sun Chun's Xiao Tingsheng is easily my favourite of all the characters - his wisdom, unfailing love and loyalty for his sons, his brother and king, and his country, and his incorruptible moral compass, steering his own life and shining the beacon with which his sons would live and die by. The unshakeable bonds of family, encompassing and transcending blood-ties are the fabric of this epic tale, making it doubly heartbreaking as we see each and every one of them fall - Pingzhang, the King, and now Xiao Tingsheng... men whose ties remain unbroken, unchanging, despite the turbulence of their respective pasts and the shifting landscape of their times. 

What sets this drama apart from most of the rest, is also its portrayal of the kings. When even its predecessor featured a ruthless and evil king, Nirvana in Fire 2 gave us first a wise king, whose love for his adopted brother was so great that even on his deathbed, his only concern was how to protect Xiao Tingsheng from the enemies that wait eagerly to tear him and the legacy of Changlin down. With his successor, we see not a weak king, but a young, inexperienced one - one who took his father's counsel to heart, to respect and trust Xiao Tingsheng. While his fears had swayed his resolve, I am hopeful that he too, would in turn, look deep into his own heart and make the right decisions at the critical moments, growing up to be a king worthy of Changlin's loyalty and the blood of Changlin men who died to secure his reign.

There are two versions of the closing theme 清平愿 - the female version sung by 黄绮珊, and the male's by 多亮. Its lyrics never fail to move me to tears... and is such a perfect depiction of the Changlin family who would live and die to secure peace in the land of Liang.

唤男儿归来战北方
Summon the men to return and fight in the north

寸心寸血挽长缰
Inch by inch of heart and blood, the reins are pulled

论豪气何曾怨悲凉
Only pride and courage, no resentment or sorrow

清平世间享
That peace may be enjoyed throughout the world

i love the female version alot more its more emotional, thanks for posting it i have not been able to find the full version. I agree its lyrics fit changlin so well its like how the songs in NIF fit the characters perfectly also.

What you said about the kings is also so damn right i love that the writers actually have the emperor's different then all the other Chinese drama's.

I re-watched the 24-28 and what is most interesting arc for me here is the medical dilemma which presented as a moral issue for the doctors and what treatment choice or plan to pursue. To save which brother, to save one will mean the death of another and/or to give up on one and let the other live despite one brother’s decision to save the other. Master Li who never gave up on his patient made this moral issue of life and death his choice to make and ignore the decision of the older PZ to save his younger brother which would mean his death. He made it a moral issue for himself that PZ’s decision was against his moral code as a doctor. He never really gave himself a chance to listen to PZ’s intent or choice. What really emphasized the importance of listening to the family because they were a unit of relations who affect each other’s lives, was the scene in 26. I cried here too. Lady MQX, PZ’s wife, knelt before PZ and begged him not to leave her, not to take the dragon’s gallbladder and then transfuse his blood to PJ the only anti-toxin/venom treatment known at the time, to then end up sick and die himself. Then she said, that if PZ will decide not to save his brother so he can live and be with her, he would have made a choice that will haunt him forever, questioning himself until that day comes when he will not even be able to look at her or face himself. She said, how can I ask that of you? She understood her husband very well. This is where Dr. Li, the way I see it, failed. He stuck to his principles about not wanting to take a life for another that he never realized that the moment he did that he chose principles over medicine, that he gave up on both brothers. He stopped being who he was, the doctor who never gave up no matter how sick his patients are/were. He believed that there was no other treatment. LX on the other hand, had never given up on both because she kept up her research, thinking that there might be an alternative even when everyone else told her otherwise. She also had a long family meeting with the couple and listened to their concerns and respected their choices. There was also an imminent war where PZ as the Changlin elder Prince had to lead to save the father. That also helped shorten his life. If the master had chosen instead to stick with his junior doctor and help with research even to find something to at least prolong PZ’s life while researching for a cure would not that be more valuable and worth more than principles? I know that PJ is wracked with self-blame thinking that it was because of him that his brother died and blames LX for her medical choice. Truly, his brother did not die because of him. His brother died because of the vile scheming of PYY, the politicians who wanted to bring the Changlin House down, the nurse who stabbed him with the dagger laced with dragon venom which led to his big bro’ decision to save him. He also was not giving LX a chance. He has  grown into a leader of military men where he has to make key decisions and even while on the run. Would he let others question his decisions? Therefore, thinking of LX as a doctor who also like him at times, will have to make hard life and death decisions, how could he not give her a break and think his stance with her over? If he really thought about it, she did not make any wrong decisions. He should talk to sis in law, who told LX that she understood, after all was said and done, it was Ping Zhang’s choice. She as the wife who loved her husband very much respected that, why could he not? Does he not know that very rare is the person even a brother who will give up their life for another? If he then remains angry at himself and LX would he not be disrespectful to his big bro’s sacrifice? Arrrrggggghhhhh, my heart is breaking with every longing glance, every sad goodbye..... 

passing by again to say i notice a few key scene from ending song that yet not aired at this moment

1) another funeral for PJ. it seem during the funeral, he may have been chased out from his own manor. LX/Da Sao comforting him

2) PJ in army combat, leading the  new kid emperor somewhere. it looks like an army camp

3) the new emperor is chasing someone,  and somehow bleeding on the mouth.

4)PJ hugging LX :wub:

5) did i see Xia Dong too ? making a brief return like Li Gang, Tong Lu, Xia Jiang did? heh.

@zenya22

Rather than a medical dilemma or moral issue, my understanding of the way the matter was framed was that the entire situation more as an issue of a clash of personal choices. By one person exerting his choice, he overrides everyone else's. That's why while PJ was unconscious,  PZ apologized. He knew full well that his personal choice would be in conflict with PJ's that's why he told LX never to tell PJ what they did to get him well. But she thought it would be better for PJ to know and told him the truth.

PJ never got to choose... to say "no" and make that sacrifice. It's probably easier for us standing on the outside looking in to say to PJ to move on and understand his brother's choice. The thing is, he did understand his brother's choice but he's a sensitive lad and would rather die than let his brother sacrifice himself for him. This situation was not without precedent mind you. When PJ found out that the family retainer knew about the vermillion glue in the cosmetics box and kept mum, he ran away from home for two days because he was too embarrassed to face his brother and sister-in-law. He's a good kid, well-raised which is why he doesn't like benefitting at someone else's expense. That's his personality and like his father says, whenever he can't cope with something, he runs and hides. What he needs is time to get over himself and learn to embrace his brother's gift. I think when he sees how his life will bring benefit to the big picture, he will understand the part he has to play in Fate's hand.

I don't think Master Li "gave up". He said he would keep trying until the very last moment to find alternative solutions. But he would never harm one patient to save another... which is fine... because if he compromised his stance then it would on his conscience for the rest of his life. That was his personal choice. Interestingly enough he wasn't against LX making a different choice. Same thing with PZ giving blood to PJ... if he hadn't, it would haunt him for the rest of his life. Lin Xi got involved because that was her choice and of course PZ knew how she felt about PJ. Incidentally they did come up with a workable solution in which they could have shared the snake gallbladder except that they lacked time because Yu (as usual) were about to attack them.

PYY never really intended for them to have much room to manoeuvre... that's how evil the plan was. He didn't want them to have too many alternatives and most of all he wanted them to suffer. He knew exactly how PZ would choose so the outcome was never in question. The really insidious part of the plan was that he used one brother's love for the other to exact his revenge.

Hi @liddi 

It's been a while. Always good to hear from you. Would love to hear from you any time that you can spare. :)

@littlemay In historical dramas much more so than contemporary ones, the characters tend to speak in poetic metres and use highly literary language. It's hard for me too but thankfully we are given subtitles to work with and I'm reasonably adept at guessing.:wink:

34 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Rather than a medical dilemma or moral issue, my understanding of the way the matter was framed was that the entire situation more as an issue of a clash of personal choices. By one person exerting his choice, he overrides everyone else's. That's why while PJ was unconscious,  PZ apologized. He knew full well that his personal choice would be in conflict with PJ's that's why he told LX never to tell PJ what they did to get him well. But she thought it would be better for PJ to know and told him the truth.

PJ never got to choose... to say "no" and make that sacrifice. It's probably easier for us standing on the outside looking in to say to PJ to move on and understand his brother's choice. The thing is, he did understand his brother's choice but he's a sensitive lad and would rather die than let his brother sacrifice himself for him. This situation was not without precedent mind you. When PJ found out that the family retainer knew about the vermillion glue in the cosmetics box and kept mum, he ran away from home for two days because he was too embarrassed to face his brother and sister-in-law. He's a good kid, well-raised which is why he doesn't like benefitting at someone else's expense. That's his personality and like his father says, whenever he can't cope with something, he runs and hides. What he needs is time to get over himself and learn to embrace his brother's gift. I think when he sees how his life will bring benefit to the big picture, he will understand the part he has to play in Fate's hand.

I don't think Master Li "gave up". He said he would keep trying until the very last moment to find alternative solutions. But he would never harm one patient to save another... which is fine... because if he compromised his stance then it would on his conscience for the rest of his life. That was his personal choice. Interestingly enough he wasn't against LX making a different choice. Same thing with PZ giving blood to PJ... if he hadn't, it would haunt him for the rest of his life. Lin Xi got involved because that was her choice and of course PZ knew how she felt about PJ. Incidentally they did come up with a workable solution in which they could have shared the snake gallbladder except that they lacked time because Yu (as usual) were about to attack them.

PYY never really intended for them to have much room to manoeuvre... that's how evil the plan was. He didn't want them to have too many alternatives and most of all he wanted them to suffer. He knew exactly how PZ would choose so the outcome was never in question. The really insidious part of the plan was that he used one brother's love for the other to exact his revenge.

@40somethingahjumma thank you for your insights. Now, I realize that I missed the meaning of PZ's apology to PJ (don't remember how that was translated). That he knew what he did was not a choice of PJ, that he was really never given a choice. Given the gravity of the situation, that he may not awaken to make a choice, PZ decided to give PJ his blood knowing that it will haunt little brother to know that PZ died because he gave him the blood just as it would also haunt  PZ if he did not give the blood let his brother die. So, yeah this a beautiful example of 2 people caring for each other deeply and it did cause heartache on PJ.  I agree that in the long run PJ will realize the precious gift his brother gave him and will live to serve others as a way to thank for this precious gift. I also cheated and took a peek at the spoilers and your translations (could not help myself, lol) and saw that there is going to be some progress with PJ and LX cross my fingers. Also, in 29 to 30 when PJ comes home from his watch of the northern border, he was having supper with his dad and he said "I thought you and sister in law will never want to see me again." Dad called him a foolish child.. He is a very sensitive kid.  I am liking the way the drama depicts the changes in the environment to match the changes in the life of the characters. In one scene the "uncle" servant of the old Chanlin Prince, said to PJ and his dad, "we say goodbye nowadays, more than we gather" and then we see from the gates the background of an empty Changlin Manor as compared to a noisy and busy Changlin manor. I felt a pinch in my heart especially for the old prince. 

Question here, is Master Li also the Master of the Langya Hall?

6 hours ago, faithinme lara said:

passing by again to say i notice a few key scene from ending song that yet not aired at this moment

1) another funeral for PJ. it seem during the funeral, he may have been chased out from his own manor. LX/Da Sao comforting him

2) PJ in army combat, leading the  new kid emperor somewhere. it looks like an army camp

3) the new emperor is chasing someone,  and somehow bleeding on the mouth.

4)PJ hugging LX :wub:

5) did i see Xia Dong too ? making a brief return like Li Gang, Tong Lu, Xia Jiang did? heh.

all i can say is poor PJ this guy is suffering so much.. 

Am i the only one who wants to see PJ break down for a episode , i just think he needs that moment to be distraught even though its sad. 

https://movie.douban.com/subject/26665065/

up to 8.5 yayyy ;p 

which would be the highest rating for a historical/costume drama in 2 years if im not mistaken. 

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

My interpretation is slightly different - I think PYY did not expect PZ to actually use his life to save PJ. PYY's life story is about how his entire family, especially his brother and mother, prioritised themselves instead of their family (e.g. mother giving the last medicine to his brother instead). He did not believe that any relationship could be as genuine and self-sacrificing as the one between the Changlin brothers. Hence his legitimate surprise when PZ did not hesitate to reach his hand in and take the box.

Archived