[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

15 minutes ago, liddi said:

@Wotad I guess you stopped reading spoilers already :D 

This is basically an ancient custom for a soul caller to stand on the rooftops, waving the clothes of the deceased and crying out his name, calling his wandering soul to come home. 

nah been reading some will stop reading once its past episode 40 ;p i want the last 10 fully surprising xd 

im going to be crying so much though, i wish they released it to more sites . 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished watching subbed episode 31-32. For PJ to emulate PZ gait .... poor boy:cry:. He must have been in such a pain for years.

Episode 31 is quite interesting because there we can see how the old generals think of PJ and of course PJ-LX. In this episode, PJ is nobody. It makes a good contrast with the later episode after the war.

Episode 32 dominated with Yuanqi. So annoyed at him. And of course all that grand secretary and empress dowager think is the courtesy, rule and their own interest. I feel so sad for Tingshen in this episode. He is already old but still have to take care of politic in court and now he would have to be ready to defense PJ for his decision to go to war while in National mourning period. All of them are tiresome job.

Spoiler

I am afraid to continue watching raw today (episode 39-40) since I suspect that the episodes would be dominated with Yuanqi, grand secretary and empress dowager scheming. PJ is in Langya hall, there is no intense story telling there except a little romance between PJ-LX. Watching the preview of 41-42 adds to my worry. In that preview we are treated with the scene of PJ-LX but I believe the episodes would not about their lovey dovey. Other than PJ story in Langya hall, there is only story in Jinling (aka about empress dowager and her lackey, perhaps Yuanqi). Hope I am wrong here. Even though I know Jinling is important for the story telling, I am not looking forward to see more Xun family.

One that interest me the most now would be how they coaxed PJ to come back. In preview episode 42, seems he tells LX that he doesn't want to go back (good for him!).

It's slow here in my country with regard to sub episodes but I'm keeping up by reading the spoilers...I'm so anxious on each episodes on what will happen. Awww my eyes are blurry...I'm in deep lamentation. The scene with the soul caller was very poignant. I'm enjoying and loving their discussion with military strategies.  Liu Haoran is a very promising actor. I've just watched the movie The Founding of an Army and all the actors commissioned to do the film were popular and I think he was just a new actor back then. His acting in the film was really a presence to reckon with.

What I love about LX is that she is her own woman. I love it when she said, she will wait for the right time for PJ to discuss why she made that decision with PZ.  

More spoilers please....

@40somethingahjumma- I read your shout out in the empire thread and I laughed out loud...

@rhaps  we actually have the same dilemma...:D 

I also want PJ to be  more aggressive with his feelings with LX. 

I think NiF and NiF2 can't be compared because the two drama's have different vibe and story elements but there's no denying that both screenplays are well written and visually stunning. I am really loving this drama. It's my favorite cdrama so far this year. 

I too finished with 31 and 32 waited through the night for Viki to finish translations because I wanted to know what PJ and LX talked about. It was at least a move towards renewal of what they used to be but in a more mature way and slowly. LX thought it was a coincidence that they met there and PJ ruefully smiled saying he saw her before in the market but he was not sure so he sent someone to check the inns for her. Step by step slowly, the healer soothing the wounded PJ's heart. He takes her to his quarters for her safety. Soft and beautiful, a rock to hold him up, she tells him, I will wait for you no matter how many days and I will leave with you. The other scene was the poignant remembrance, a flashback of the past by Ting Shen, when (Fe liu, loved him in NIF1, LOL) gifted him with the protective outer war garment and the then Prince Jing takes it from the young Ting Sheng and Fe Liu takes it back from the Prince and gives it back to young TS. Then back to the present, Ting Sheng says."they are all gone now." He had kept and treasured that garment. I am already crying. Yuan Qi, Yuan Qi, Yuan Qi, when he visits his uncle Ting Sheng he seems to be listening respectfully, as Tsing Sheng imparts his wisdom. YQ talked about being at a disadvantage because of his background. Ting Shing tells him that he can't change his environment ,who his parents were, as he has no control over that. TS tells him about his grandfather the emperor who had gone through so much hardship and yet the fires of hell did not alter the purity of his heart. It was up to YQ to choose whom or what influences or moves him. Yuanqi seems to be absorbing the advice but then he goes back to his manor, thinks about his mother and his victim mentality sets back in. Aissshhhhh..... So it looks like from here the following week will evoke a keen sense of pain and sadness  so it will be a week of sleepless and grieving for me as i wait for  the translations (I hope correctly) for the following episodes 

As for the empress, I don't want her to die because I want her to suffer regretting how stupid she was. I want her to be humiliated by the people by telling her that she did not deserve to be an empress. I want her to see ghosts of the people who died from the epidemic. I want her to see ghost of PYY and feel the pangs of hell before she disappears from her Liang. She can't just leave that easy. 

i cant wait for the damn kiss. 

3 hours ago, ces8 said:

@rhaps  we actually have the same dilemma...:D 

I also want PJ to be  more aggressive with his feelings with LX. 

I think NiF and NiF2 can't be compared because the two drama's have different vibe and story elements but there's no denying that both screenplays are well written and visually stunning. I am really loving this drama. It's my favorite cdrama so far this year. 

you can compare them in the sense of direction/story/music/scenery etc.. 

6 hours ago, xienrue said:

Finished watching subbed episode 31-32. For PJ to emulate PZ gait .... poor boy:cry:. He must have been in such a pain for years.

Episode 31 is quite interesting because there we can see how the old generals think of PJ and of course PJ-LX. In this episode, PJ is nobody. It makes a good contrast with the later episode after the war.

Episode 32 dominated with Yuanqi. So annoyed at him. And of course all that grand secretary and empress dowager think is the courtesy, rule and their own interest. I feel so sad for Tingshen in this episode. He is already old but still have to take care of politic in court and now he would have to be ready to defense PJ for his decision to go to war while in National mourning period. All of them are tiresome job.

Reveal hidden contents

I am afraid to continue watching raw today (episode 39-40) since I suspect that the episodes would be dominated with Yuanqi, grand secretary and empress dowager scheming. PJ is in Langya hall, there is no intense story telling there except a little romance between PJ-LX. Watching the preview of 41-42 adds to my worry. In that preview we are treated with the scene of PJ-LX but I believe the episodes would not about their lovey dovey. Other than PJ story in Langya hall, there is only story in Jinling (aka about empress dowager and her lackey, perhaps Yuanqi). Hope I am wrong here. Even though I know Jinling is important for the story telling, I am not looking forward to see more Xun family.

One that interest me the most now would be how they coaxed PJ to come back. In preview episode 42, seems he tells LX that he doesn't want to go back (good for him!).

i cant wait for Yuanqi to die, he think's hes so smart when hes really not. 

Episode 39   Mutterings and speculations about the future

Spoiler

I cannot watch any scenes without the Empress Dowager without my blood boiling over. The woman exhibits tribalism of the worst kind. So she's having tea and a good ol'l chat with the Grand Sec about the impending nuptials and they talk about the suitability of Yuanqi as a husband for their beloved Anru. The Grand Sec raises pertinent doubts for consideration and she says...

"We're all family now... we should try and get on with each other." Really, woman why didn't you have that same attitude towards the House of Changlin?

As usual the Grand Sec does talk some sense. How can a person who backstabs a friend and a mentor be trusted? 

To a person in their right mind the answer is... he can't be. But because of course Yuanqi apparently helps their cause, demonstrating that he's on their side in helping consolidate the throne, we can conveniently ignore his duplicity and just hold hands and sing love songs.

My conclusion is that woman really has rocks in her head.

If that's not silly enough, she wants him promoted.

As much as I hate witnessing Yuanqi's Anakin Skywalker descent into the dark side especially when I liked him so much in the early days, I can't help feeling more than a little gleeful watching him play the Xun family like a fiddle.  He may be sincere about Anru who is a sweet thing but I am rubbing my hands expectantly as he plots and schemes against the Empress Dowager who I'm anticipating is in for a world full of hurt.

However, there is very little doubt that while Yuanqi thinks that he's got all the trump cards up his sleeve in all probability plotting to take the throne, he is also in all likelihood being played by the Marquis Mozi.

I think there is a moral here about people doing horrible things, stepping over the heads of others to gain something in the short-term only to have all their sins come back to bite them in the rear end. It's fascinating to me that the Empress Dowager and Xun Baishui think that they have an eye on the future when really what they instigated against the Changlin family will prove to be myopic in the long run. Furthermore they've been so eager to deal with a perceived threat when they allow a real one to grow on their watch. 

It's a great insight into human beings and the state of the world today. People are blind to real existential threats because they are fixated on minor problems or non-existent ones. Moral decay must play its part here also.

The Grand Sec, I believe has reservations because he is an intelligent man but at the end of the day, he will go along with what his sister wants because she is the most powerful member of the family.

I'm reminded of a great story by the Jungle Doctor about a family that takes in a baby snake and rears it as a pet. Soon the snakelet becomes a really big adult snake that acts like a snake and starts a killing spree.

Yuanqi is, as I've said repeatedly, PYY's true legacy. PYY may be dead but his spirit lingers in Yuanqi, his true heir. All the ambition and resentment that drove PYY now drives YQ, who has certainly take a leaf or two out of the PYY playbook in his scheming. The difference is that PYY was patient and bid his time... playing the long game. 

There's a great moment in Episode 35 that shows the stark contrast between PJ and YQ in terms of the way they use their intelligence.  After the battle with Yu, YQ asks PJ if he really is going to let Prince Kang go. PJ says that capturing Prince Kang makes little difference to Liang and that the prince is a member of the royal court who will be instrumental in giving Ruan Ying a very hard time. When PJ turns to leave with his men, YQ mutters something interesting before riding off:

"Infighting. Checks and balances. So you're not ignorant about such things."

It's easy to underestimate PJ because he is easygoing and not the least ambitious. And also for most of his life he was constantly under the shadow of his ridiculously brilliant older brother. But there's little doubt that he has the capacity for political machinations except that he chooses not to use his brains in such fashion.

It was nice to see the actor that played Xia Dong from NiF 1 who is here some kind of liaison between YQ and Mozi... maybe even his wife since he called her fu ren. She's brought him a companion sword as a wedding gift, so she says... but more likely she is (on behalf of Mozi) reminding YQ of what they'd done for him to be able to get to where he is right now. Needless to say, YQ is none too pleased by the visit. She compliments YQ at the behest of Mozi that he has finally become a worthy disciple. (Everything here is said and done to keep YQ on his toes and not get too complacent)

I imagine that Anru's maid will come in handy when someone starts investigating YQ's treasonous acts. She's been witness to a number of key things and she's from one of the 10 provinces.

Spoiler

There is too much Yuanqi in episode 39. I skipped a lot during watching, so I don't know if I miss any PJ-LX since I didn't see their scene at all. Is there any PJ-LX moment in episode 39 that should compel me to re-watch more carefully?

Episode 39-40   More mutterings

Spoiler

As intelligent as he is, YQ lacks profound knowledge and experience in military matters. The entire campaign to recover the 10 provinces though on the surface appear successful in the eyes who don't know better, to those who who have been marinated in military matters their entire lives, there are definite problems with the way Donghai conducted their raids. Luckily for him, the people in court who are busily trying to promote him for doing the dirty work of recovering 7 provinces are largely ignorant about how battles are fought and won. There's no one there to ask the right questions. Everyone was just happy that they got back the 7 reasonably easily.  It didn't take PJ long to cotton on once the news reached his ears and for General Yue also to raise question marks about Donghai's entire campaign... their intent etc. 

When I think about the YQ from the early episode who was chastising General Ji for putting the lives of soldiers and civilians on the line for his own ambition, we have to ask what went seriously wrong. Undoubtedly it is something of a rhetorical question but it's sad to see a caring kid turn into a power hungry traitor who has little regard for what his deal with the devil will cost in lives. 

YQ is now attempting little by little to take control of the military. His latest move is to take control of the Yulin guards via the new arrival General Di, whose entire family died in the epidemic that PYY instigated. YQ has shown him the relevant documents implicating the Empress Dowager and has provoked the ire of the grieving general into working against the royals.

YQ entire conversation with Di Ming has resonances of his conversations with PYY. Very little of what he says is untrue but it's how he uses the information to manipulate the general's grief is quite cunning. "Justice? Do you expect these sorts of people to give you justice?" And then to ask him... "Are you loyal to the country, the office of emperor or the person who sits on the throne?" Then he proceeds to ask him to help him bring Yuanshi down from the throne.

He agrees that Yuanshi hasn't done anything wrong but instead points to the fact that he's being used and no longer holds to the legacy of the previous emperor.

I feel sorry for that sweet wife of his. She really doesn't know what she's got herself into. 

Does anyone else thinks it's a bit unfair that YQ gets to have his wedding night before PJ? Just a thought. :D But then YQ's been taking a lot of shortcuts lately. Very disappointing.

:wink:

The possibility of Feizhan and Xue'er ending up together increases the longer he hangs around Langya Mountain. Hmmmm... :wink:

If people are tempted to skip these last two episodes, my advice is "don't" because they set up what is to come in the next 10 episodes. Yes, it's YQ heavy but it's his turn to get a bit of the limelight.

They need to just invade and take the damn northern places all these wars never stop.

39/40 Yuanqi thoughts

Spoiler

I think his knowledge and skill and are pretty overrated , like we know hes going to fight PJ which i think is stupid considering he should have no chance.

I think he will take over the capitals military and try to take over the kingdom like that, but PJ will rally the outside troops.

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

They need to just invade and take the damn northern places all these wars never stop.

39/40 Yuanqi thoughts

Hide contents

I think his knowledge and skill and is pretty overrated , like we know hes going to fight PJ which i think is stupid considering he should have no chance.

I think he will take over the capitals military and try to take over the kingdom like that, but PJ will rally the outside troops.

Spoiler

We might but Yuanqi might not... :wink: In all probability he believes PJ has given up fighting for good after all he hasn't made any noise in a while.

I think his skills are overrated too BUT those old fogeys in the royal court don't really know that. Also often (like in real life), it isn't about ability or skill but often it's about the right time, right place and whether you can or are willing to play the political game to reach your goals.

@LyraYoo Sounds like you're watching at the same speed as my husband. He's just finished 28 as well. :wink:

Watching episode 33 and 34 with subs. My comment still the same. Too many Yuanqi and Xun family. Especially episode 33, my anger is boiling watching their scheming. How could the grand secretary think that Chang Lin family cooks something behind? I think he doesn't believe that somebody could have that selfless loyalty.

The saving grace of those episodes are:

1. Interaction between PJ-LX. Really love that they are really understand each other. And LX is very patient. She is beautiful both in outward and inward.

2. Yuanqi show the PYY admission and empress edict to grand secretary. Finally that old man tastes the effect of his deception.

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

@40somethingahjumma I have more free time this week because of lesser cancelled commitments, and tonight I might finish 29-32 as well. This drama is converting me into a monk once again .

While we agree of PYY as anti-MCS, sometimes for me Yuanqi is becoming an anti-Jingyan as well. He of course is not soldier by default , but by status in the court his is quite similar to Jingyan's earlier episodes in NIF1. I like how he has this grey personality but somehow as some mentioned here, the death of PYY leaves a seed of distraught in him. Also the actor is doing well with his role , I am quite disliking his character more as the show progresses. For example, when the Pingjing was worrying about the Emperor, he was suggesting to have PJ leave and visit Jingling. 

Yeah... I know what you mean about becoming reclusive because of NiF 2. :D I spend all my mornings catching up on the latest and rewatching. Thankfully I'm on a sabbatical and there're not too many episodes left because I really need more sleep. I'm assuming that they'll be doing 4 days next week rather than the usual 3 days. Incidentally I'm almost done with Prison Playbook which has been nothing short of excellent. 

I can see where you're going with the anti-Jingyan angle. They have a similar trajectory and it makes sense that if PYY is the anti-Mei Chang Su and by extension YQ's advisor, those comparisons work. YQ is a pathetic creature and on some level I kind of root for him because his plans in large part involve taking down the Empress Dowager who is just detestable. (Burn Lady Burn) I don't want Yuanshi hurt but his mother and uncle have gotten away literally with murder just to consolidate his position. I doubt the former emperor would approve. I also don't mind YQ plotting and scheming because PJ needs some kind of antagonist to light the fire under his bottom.

Spoiler

Frankly I think PJ is wasting his time in LY mountain. HIs mourning period is over and he needs to "get with the programme".

3 hours ago, xienrue said:

Watching episode 33 and 34 with subs. My comment still the same. Too many Yuanqi and Xun family. Especially episode 33, my anger is boiling watching their scheming. How could the grand secretary think that Chang Lin family cooks something behind? I think he doesn't believe that somebody could have that selfless loyalty.

The saving grace of those episodes are:

1. Interaction between PJ-LX. Really love that they are really understand each other. And LX is very patient. She is beautiful both in outward and inward.

2. Yuanqi show the PYY admission and empress edict to grand secretary. Finally that old man tastes the effect of his deception.

"Sleepless and tearful in Changlin", lol.... that is me. I am watching the same speed as you are and I am also loving the mature development of the relationship between PJ and LX. After all they are faced with many other responsibilities especially PJ in charge of the army and the facing an imminent war, then leading one. I really like the slow build up. 

I am so proud of PJ and the Changlin army. I am proud of him standing up to Xun, resolutely planting the flag and announcing that he and he alone will take responsibility and bear the burden of any actions against him for not following the imperial edict. He then raised his sword up... CHARGE and on to victory. The enemy had no chance!!! Yep, Yuanqi is lining up his ducks for target and the Xuns are in it and the idea of an Imperial Edict to stop the Changlin army in engaging in war and be defeated by the enemy or PJ disobeying the edict and be punished for it came from Yuanqi. He acts dumb and innocent but behind that lies a villainous, hungry and ambitious mind. He is his father's son. He is also gathering followers picking young dissatisfied and ambitious for his followers and supporters. 

@40somethingahjumma  I understand why you would root for Yuanqi to take down empress dowager and the grand secretary. That is why I partly happy when Yuanqi played them with PYY admission and empress edict.

Spoiler

About Yuanshi, I think he is having hard lesson coming after him. In his youthful ignorance, he literally caused Chang Lin manor to fall and PJ to left the capital and military service altogether. I know he could not help it with the people around him. But he is not without fault. It is not like he doesn't know Tingshen and PJ. Both of them have been present in his childhood. He knows that his late father regarded Chang Lin family highly and they have been all but loyal. Now, just because words game from his mother and uncle, he started to question the loyalty of the Chang Lin family. He is young, yes. But he is the emperor, people expect more from him (that is the burden of his position).

Lesson from life experience is the harshest but always the best. After Yuanqi betrayal also her mother and uncle guilt revealed, he will be forced to open his eyes that he had made a big mistake back then in not trusting his royal uncle more. He is kind and good kid but a good emperor needs to have a mind of his own and not easily catered right and left.

In preview episode 42, I think PJ refuses to go back to the capital instead choose to send a letter to grand secretary Xun about the situation in Eastern border?! I am actually very pleased with that. I don't want PJ to come back just because he feels the family obligation toward Yuanshi. Yuanshi himself needs to understand that he and his court had hurt Chang Lin family and PJ is not someone he can take and discard as he wish. The scene when Tingshen coughed up blood in the court was very sad and painful. It is like the world ganged up to the sick old man while he tried his best to protect his son. I am still tearing up while I remember episode 37. It is very very painful episode. I don't think I have ever watch a drama this emotional.

Moreover, the grand secretary talked about punishment with PJ while he is still in the funeral. Did not Yuanshi tell his uncle to wait for the announcement? Chang Lin family is not outsider to the Royal family. Plus, PJ is a person Yuanshi fond of. I don't know how to take that.

Therefore, I am looking forward on how Yuanshi would take the disaster which will soon get him. I hope he will learn that loyalty and respect are not to be taken for granted. They are to be earned, not just because of his position but because of his action.

In a welcome shift of pace after the emotional upheaval of the past few episodes, we are now thrown into the final lap of the drama, as we see political machinations in play, setting the stage for

Spoiler

Yuanqi's devious rise to usurp the throne. The last two episodes details Yuanqi's methodical plan as he plots step by step to take control of Yulin army through his underhanded recruitment of General Di. His exploitation of General Di's grief at the loss of all 17 members of his family, is a masterstroke, skilfully weaving the truth amid sibilant whispers that speak to the man's tortured need for retribution from those who destroyed his family. Yuanqi is at his manipulative best as he now deftly and surely turns the tables on the Xuns, who have made the fatal mistake of letting their guard down as far as he was concerned. To be honest, I never really disliked Grand Secretary Xun despite all he had done, because ultimately his decisions stem from a staunch loyalty to the then-Crown Prince, now king, and a fierce determination to protect his king's interests at all costs against what he perceived as present and future threats to the young king's reign. However, the Queen Dowager is a different matter - her ignorance, short-sightedness, gulibility and narrow views ultimately the real cause of most of the troubles that befell the kingdom of Liang in recent years, from her hand in the epidermic, to her zealous persecution of Changlin - all of which will serve to bring about the downfall of the son she was determined to keep on the throne, her own clan, and in the end, her country.

It is good to see Pingjing finding new lease of life, or at least a momentary reprieve after the unending onslaught of tragedy. Still, it is clear that he could no more turn a deaf ear the moment he heard news of the disturbing turn of events, being quick to jump into a detailed and insightful analysis of the real situation behind the smoke and mirrors. It is telling that Pingjing wanted somehow to justify Yuanqi's actions, repeatedly trying and ultimately failing to convince himself that his suspicions regarding Yuanqi were unfounded. With the looming signs of the encrouching threat to Liang, it is only a matter of time before he takes that conscious step back into the world that rejected him - a true son of Changlin to the end.

While young and obviously inexperienced, Yuanshi's earnestness to be a good, wise king is evident, harking back to the poignant moment when he tried to overlook the departing cortege of Xiao Tingsheng from the highest point in the palace. His aching words to Anru then brought a pang to my heart as he wondered if all that happened was due to his inadequacy and inexperience, saying "Since I am still so young, and lacking in knowledge, Imperial Father, they [Xiao Tingsheng] should not have left me so soon." Since then, it is clear that he is doing his best to make up for his inadequacies in a court that is unfortunately far inferior to the golden age of his father's reign. 

With all that is coming, the drama is shaping up to a strong, climatic finish, one that I can't wait to see unfold, even as I dread the closing of the curtain on the family whom I have come to root desperately for. And just because I already miss them so much, I have started revisiting the drama from Ep1 once more, and invariably feeling such a pang when I see the bond between father and sons in far happier times, knowing their fate down the road. 

24 minutes ago, liddi said:

In a welcome shift of pace after the emotional upheaval of the past few episodes, we are now thrown into the final lap of the drama, as we see political machinations in play, setting the stage for

Hide contents

Yuanqi's devious rise to usurp the throne. The last two episodes details Yuanqi's methodical plan as he plots step by step to take control of Yulin army through his underhanded recruitment of General Di. His exploiting of General Di's grief at the loss of all 17 members of his family, is a masterstroke, skilfully weaving the truth amid sibilant whispers that speak to the man's tortured need for retribution from those who destroyed his family. Yuanqi is at his manipulative best as he now deftly and surely turns the tables on the Xuns, who have made the fatal mistake of letting their guard down as far as he was concerned. To be honest, I never really disliked Grand Secretary Xun despite all he had done, because ultimately his decisions stem from a staunch loyalty to the then-Crown Prince, now king, and a fierce determination to protect his king's interests at all costs against what he perceived as present and future threats to the young king's reign. However, the Queen Dowager is a different matter - her ignorance, short-sightedness, gulibility and narrow views ultimately the real cause of most of the troubles that befell the kingdom of Liang in recent years, from her hand in the epidermic, to her zealous persecution of Changlin - all of which will serve to bring about the downfall of the son she was determined to keep on the throne, her own clan, and ultimately her country.

It is good to see Pingjing finding new lease of life, or at least a momentary reprieve after the unending onslaught of tragedy. Still, it is clear that he could no more turn a deaf ear the moment he heard news of the disturbing turn of events, being quick to jump into a detailed and insightful analysis of the real situation behind the smoke and mirrors. It is telling that Pingjing wanted somehow to justify Yuanqi's actions, repeatedly trying and ultimately failing to convince himself that his suspicions regarding Yuanqi were unfounded. With the looming signs of the encrouching threat to Liang, it is only a matter of time before he takes that conscious step back into the world that rejected him - a true son of Changlin to the end.

While young and obviously inexperienced, Yuanshi's earnestness to be a good, wise king is evident, harking back to the poignant moment when he tried to overlook the departing cortege of Xiao Tingsheng from the highest point in the palace. His aching words to Anru then brought a pang to my heart as he wondered if all that happened was due to his inadequacy and inexperience, saying "Since I am still so young, and lacking in knowledge, Imperial Father, they [Xiao Tingsheng] should not have left me so soon." Since then, it is clear that he is doing his best to make up for his inadequacies in a court that is unfortunately far inferior to the golden age of his father's reign. 

Spoiler

Even though I can see Yuanshi regrets, but often regret comes too late. Also, I am not sure he knows what he really should be regretting for since I can still see how he still depends a lot on the grand secretary in the later episodes. Sometimes people can only understand and value something/someone when they already lost it. I think this is what happen to Yuanshi. He had like around 2 years with Tingshen helping him in court matters before all these tragedy happened but we never saw him try having a private heart to heart conversation with his royal uncle; try to learn from his royal uncle wisdom. Instead, we saw him spent time mind poisoned by his mother and uncle.

We saw how Feizhan, even Yuanqi asking for "private lesson" from Tingshen. My thinking is that Yuanshi thought that he still had all the time in the world to learn from his royal uncle. He didn't sense the urgency to quickly learn and grew up to be wise emperor. This is why I said that part of Yuanshi incapability is his mother fault. All the empress was done was only over-protecting her son but taught him nothing of wisdom. Only when all was done, Yuanshi finally felt his inadequacy and inexperience. His growth would be interesting to watch in this late phase of the drama.

About grand secretary Xun, I am sure he is that zealous protecting the throne big part of his reason is because Yuanshi come from his clan (through his sister the empress). The other part of his reason going against Chang Lin family, I believe, is envy. That is why instead of trying to educate his royal nephew to increase his standing in court through wisdom, he choose to bring down someone high so "low level" emperor would not be seen as too low.

Ep41 and 42 definitely deliver in spades!

Spoiler

I love how the king continues to hope for Pingjing's return, and his adamance in referring to him as Prince of Changlin despite his mother's objection, arguing that although the punishment meted out was to close Changlin manor and disband Changlin army, the title Prince of Changlin is one that was bestowed by the late king, and remains the birthright of Xiao Tingsheng's family.

Yuanqi's downward spiral is frightening to behold - the vice-like grip he held over Anru, forcing her to put her maid to death a clear indication that he had fallen almost too far to turn back. Would Anru and his unborn child ultimately be his weakness, or would he, despite his joy of having his own family after being alone for so long, sacrifice them on the altar of his ambition? We shall see. Pingjing is acutely disappointed by how much Yuanqi has changed, and while I hope the latter would one day relent or at least regret his course, I have serious doubts that it will happen... and it is almost certain that one day the two former friends would face each other on opposing sides. My curiosity now lies with the Marquis of Mozi, now king of Donghai. He is obviously still casting his net towards Yuanqi, with overtures of further collaborations. What is the item that the Marquis is so eager to obtain? With increasing pressure to reclaim the 3 lost cities that the Marquis had no intent on relinquishing, it remains to be seen if Yuanqi would enlist Donghai's help to overthrow the king, or would he first turn on Donghai in order to eliminate any trace of his treachery. Questions questions.

Pingjing's declaration to Yuanqi that he too was going to marry Lin Xi now that the period of mourning is over, just to throw him off and convince him that he no longer had any interest in the matters of the world. One day, my boy... make sure you give her the proper proposal that she deserves.

I am glad that General Yue, the only one who found the overly-easy recapture of the 7 cities suspicious, not to mention his discovery of privileged information in the enemy camp regarding the cities, now has an audience with the king and is voicing them. Add to the fact that he and his men saved Anru's maid who knows of Yuanqi's treachery. Would the king heed his words in time, or would Grand Secretary Xun and Yuanqi prove to be stumbling blocks? It is fascinating to see how the pieces are slowly moving in place as they work out the impending threat from their respective vantage points - Pingjing in Langya Mountain, Feizhan returning to the capital, General Ye along with the maid he rescued - and I can't wait to see how it all comes together. Would we see Grand Secretary Xun finally appealing for help from the family he helped destroy? 

At last, we get a clear confirmation of what I have concluded previously from Grand Secretary Xun regarding his reasons for going against Changlin, which is to put a hard stop to a family whose power threatened to be even greater than the king, even though he clearly assures the Queen Dowager that the family was unwaveringly loyal to the throne. So, no @xienrue I beg to disagree that it was envy but rather, the need to ensure the king's power is never less than his subject's, even if the subject in question had no disloyal tendencies. 

8 more episodes to go... 

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Hide contents

Frankly I think PJ is wasting his time in LY mountain. HIs mourning period is over and he needs to "get with the programme".

Spoiler

From the spoilers ive been reading he didnt go there just to mourn hes gone there to live like his father wanted? didnt his father basically say be free.

Can someone tell me what episode PJ realizes what Yuanqi is up to? 

Archived