Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

13 hours ago, Wotad said:
  Reveal hidden contents

NIF2 is original no book and we gotta wait til next week for those episodes ahhh , did he die sacrificing him self? 

where are the raws

Please check your Inbox

@littlemay, I also wondered who sang it. I thought that it was HXM himself, coz it sounded like his voice. But I heard that it wasnt. Personally, I like that version a lot better than the previous one.

@LyraYoo, nooooo those gifs! :bawling: . I'm like PJ now, avoiding memories *LOL*

I'm not as sad as I was when watching epi 25-26. Perhaps it's because I skipped some PZ's scenes -LOL*. My heart cant take it to watch his last moments. And it's also because PJ also handled this in a quite manly way. I thought that he was going to scream and wail and faint, but he didnt. He handled it in a mature way, although he's deffinitely hurt, a lot inside.

Last night's episodes felt slower and sadder, lost after lost happened and everyone was mourning. The story is setting up a new background story for PJ.

There's one complaint (is that a complaint?) From me :

I prefer PJ's old hair style *LOL*. It's funny, coz his acting is more serious and mature, but now he looked even younger than before :D

And I'm glad that :

Qianxue had a son! Yaaaayy!

And it's cute to watch Old Master and his student of the Langya wanted to hold him, aww :tongue:

Waiting for PJ to see his nephew and to smile again at LX :tongue:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Finally found a place to discuss my favourite drama currently!

I really love how this show is so unique and different from the first season but also maintains a similar vibe and levity. Its hard to explain - but there's just something about the show that distinguishes it and its predecessor from all the other historical drama out there. It really is lightning in the bottle that we get chinese historical shows with originality, flair, tight script, and seamless storytelling. I mean, the contrast couldn't be stronger with T&E, which has a bloated plot, messy script, disastrous editing the kills tension etc. (most historical dramas have similar errors, along with cookie-cutter storylines and characters). Even the recently well-received The Advisors Alliance suffered in similar ways.

The only shows that I consider 'transcendental' in the historical genre are Three Kingdoms and Nirvana In Fire 1, and if this show continues the strong first half (i've watched up to ep. 28), then it may make it there as well.

I'm seriously in awe of the script - the arcs transition beautifully (you can go re-watch several episodes back and find connections to an arc happening later, you can see how events the happened in the past have directly influenced an arc happening in the present in unpredictable ways), the dialogue is tight, the plot is unpredictable and exciting. 

In fact, I might be starting to love this season more than the first. I thought the character relationships in NiF1, e.g. between Lin Shu and Prince Jing, Lin Shu and Fei Liu etc. were beautifully done, but honestly the relationships that are being presented in this show, as well as the difficulties they encounter during the plot, perhaps even surpasses the first season. The brotherly relationship between PZ and PJ (and who can forget their relationship with their father), the mirroring with the relationship between the King and Tingsheng... 

The villains are also very well written, imho done even better than the first season. In the first season, a villain was a villain - greedy and scrupulous princes, disloyal and treasonous subjects, villainous external threats. In the second season, indeed there is still a clear villainous presence in PYY and co. (who's back-story was also done very well and motivations well-explained; I love the parallel of his insincere relationship with his brother and mother compared to that of the Changlin family), but there are also more grey villains. Grand Secretary Xun and the other court officials clearly care for the country, but have misguided suspicious on Changlin Manor, which is understandable because Changlin is indeed powerful with achievements that surpass even the King and they think the intrusion of a military house into civil affairs will disrupt the balance of power, and that whilst Tingsheng is honourable his future generations may hold higher ambitions. Unfortunately they fail to see the hypocrisy in their beliefs: The Xun family hold even more power and control over the court, and yet they seem hungry to amass more power. In then opens a new discussion: does being the family of a new monarch mean that the clan should essentially be 'entitled' to the power of the throne?

Suffice to say Ep. 27-28 was so devastating, but so beautifully done too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, littlemay said:

Does anyone know who sang the ending song in episode 28? Sounds like a different person.

I want the full female version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@rhaps i will take my time and prepare myself for a heartbreak showdown come episode 25-27.

I am glad a lot of people are already talking about this on tumblr. More gifs

tumblr_p24kizKNgm1w626woo2_540.giftumblr_p24kizKNgm1w626woo3_540.giftumblr_p24kizKNgm1w626woo4_540.gif

@SyntaxError welcome to the forum ! The more, the merrier ! :)

I agree, while everyone here could be a NIF bluff since memoriam, I think NIF2 is if not at par , exceeded my expectations because of the quality of production that it gushes on TV. Not only the smooth character development and progress of storyline, we can see how slick the editing of each scenes. I was literally oggling frame by frame on the action sequence in episode 17

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

@rhaps i will take my time and prepare myself for a heartbreak showdown come episode 25-27.

I am glad a lot of people are already talking about this on tumblr. More gifs

@SyntaxError welcome to the forum ! The more, the merrier ! :)

I agree, while everyone here could be a NIF bluff since memoriam, I think NIF2 is if not at par , exceeded my expectations because of the quality of production that it gushes on TV. Not only the smooth character development and progress of storyline, we can see how slick the editing of each scenes. I was literally oggling frame by frame on the action sequence in episode 17

Hide contents

I love NIF 2 but i still think the first is better for me, NIF had more emotional impact for me.

Also after seeing the newer episodes anyone calling Liu Hao Ran a bad actor are clearly blind or something, looking forward to follow him . Novoland Eagle eye has like $75 million budget and hes the lead so excited for that. 

What a start hes having , NIF 2 and then Novoland Eagle eye. 

I would give NIF 10/10 and this like 9.0 , i still think this show is one of the best Chinese shows . 

Edited by LyraYoo
please do not quote images, thank you.
  • Like 5

Oh man... Those last 4 episodes (25-28) really turned on the waterworks. If I hadn't been so invested in these relationships, I don't know that I would have cared half as much. At its heart this show is really about family... even with all the trappings of court, battle and behind the scenes scheming, when one comes right down to it, we've been treated to the ongoing dynamic of a loving family.

Spoiler

It struck me hard watching the the emperor's last moments with the Prince of Changlin that this first chapter had been in part a tale of 4 brothers climaxing in the death of 2. The two that die had the greater power and greater respect so how will the brothers that are left behind deal with what's left... That must surely be the question going into the second half of the drama. 

There was never any doubt in my mind that Lin Xi would tell PJ about the choice that PZ and her made for him. That would be consistent with her character and the fact that she would never want to live with a secret between them both. There was never any doubt either how PJ would react to her part in all of this even while acknowledging that she wasn't wrong. However, this would sound the death knell to the carefree, sometimes immature young second master. No longer can he shirk his responsibilities and rely on his older brother. The baton has now been passed on to him and it behooves him to take up the family mantle. Everyone makes it a point to articulate in no uncertain terms that PZ was the obvious choice and the better one to be successor but sometimes perhaps... when the world is in a different place, the less obvious choice might end up being the more suitable one to deal with what's coming. I keep thinking about something that the old prince said to PZ once about PJ... "He thinks differently and does things differently from us because of his jiang hu background." I expect that observation will prove itself to be a crucial turning point for PJ down the track.

PJ and LX can't go back to where they were. In a world where PYY has darkened his steps, no one can go back to where they were. I imagine PJ feels guilt when he sees her and thinks regretfully about what could have been. But also I hope that he will come to see that she made her choice because she loves him. After all, she was quite willing to put herself forward as candidate for the snake gall treatment.

The empress' seething resentment against the Changlin borders on the irrational IMO. I suppose it comes from jealousy from the emperor's favour of his brother and the Changlin household. It's a wonder that she manages to perceive every action committed by the family as some kind power grab. Even as PJ takes off to the northern border to replace his brother, she construes that not as taking responsibility but as the old prince trying to consolidate his power. Projection much, my lady? And then when her brother the Grand Secretary advises her not to dress the Crown Prince in red while the emperor in mourning over PZ, she sulks. I imagine that will boil over some time and I also wonder if the order she gave during the epidemic will come back to haunt her down the track.

Feizhan, as ever is a straight arrow. He won't allow himself to be manipulated by his family when they insist that it is important to take precautions when the handover occurs. It'll be interesting to see how all that plays out when things boil over.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Those last 4 episodes (25-28) really turned on the waterworks.

I agree... 

Spoiler

It was so sad.. we lost 2 people in the last two eps. Would you mind explaining something, if you understand it. What did PJ say to LY before LY and his Sister-in-law left? Why did they leave and not stay near home? Why did Xiao Yuanqi decide to leave with PJ? Do you think in this part of the show, Xiao Yuanqi genuinely cares for PJ or is he trying to gain something out of it? 

• Like 2

The empress is very annoying. Since the first time I saw her, I knew that she'd bring trouble. I wonder why a minister has a sister as narrow-minded and 'not so smart' like her.

I've watched epi 19-20 with subs, and eventhough I've watched them in raw before and knew that she was deceived and regreted it, it really made me angry to know that she believed all of those ridiculous things without checking them out first, especially when it's related to the lives of a lot of people. Are you an empress or not?? Even as a loving mother, her love is really selfish.

Regarding PJ :

I totally understand his mental state. The situation was unfair for him, because he was unconscious. He couldnt make any decision and he could only let people decide for him. Even if he realizes that LX was doing it out of love, the sadness, the guilt and the anger will surely be there. I think that, up to ep 28, he has been handling this loss in a very mature way. It's very understandable if he was sad and chose to avoid everyone related to the death of the beloved big bro.  I would feel and do the same thing, if I were him. If PZ could come back alive, then I believe that PJ would be angry at him.

Like Feizan once said, time would heal the wounds. I'm surely gonna miss the cheerful sweet PJ from the previous episodes . He must be really thoughtful and careful now, coz he realizes that even a little mistake or ignorance can lead to unimaginable implications. Well, I can always go back and rewatch his happy moments.

@SyntaxError, @littlemay, hi hi! Nice review there!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

We are now a little bit more than half way through the drama...I hope that this next portion will be just as great or even better then the first half. 

Hopefully. I'm guessing that the top fighter will appear again. 

Btw, is this 50 or 60 episodes? I got different information from different websites

17 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

I agree... 

Reveal hidden contents

It was so sad.. we lost 2 people in the last two eps. Would you mind explaining something, if you understand it. What did PJ say to LY before LY and his Sister-in-law left? Why did they leave and not stay near home? Why did Xiao Yuanqi decide to leave with PJ? Do you think in this part of the show, Xiao Yuanqi genuinely cares for PJ or is he trying to gain something out of it? 

You must mean LX (Lin Xi)?  :wink:

Spoiler

He says to her:

"I know of course that it wasn't your fault but when I see you, I can't help but think that there could have been a different outcome. I'm sorry, I just can't... I really just can't..."

Xiao Xue was very depressed after PZ's death so the old prince thought it would be best for her to go to Langya Pavilion to take her mind off things and have the baby there.

I think Yuanqi always wanted to do great things and I believe wanting to do them with PJ is sincere but whether or not he can maintain that sincerity and sense of friendship in the long run without his own ambition getting in the way, that remains to be seen. At present I believe he means well.

• Like 1

Welcome @imhoooked. Great to have you on board sharing in the NiF 2 love. I know, the last few episodes have been heartbreaking but can all grieve together here.

@SyntaxError (Haha... your username reminds me of my Apple IIe clone days) Glad to have you onboard.

I'm one of those who's loving the second series just a tad more than the first. Of course it's early days yet and the whole thing might fall apart in the second half. Let's hope not. I adored the first... I watched it 6 times back to back. It blew my mind with its cleverness but this one has absolutely stolen my heart. 

Still each season has its own strengths and there's no doubt that the entire franchise is a shining example to other productions as to how serialized television should be done.

@LyraYoo That sword fighting scene between PJ and the princess from Northern Yan was the highlight from that arc. A pity that the crown prince was sacrificed because he was the sensible kind of ruler that was needed for that country. As a whole I'm really enjoying how much more wuxia has been integrated into the second series.

@rhaps Her mind had been poisoned to some degree by PYY for some time already. I'm not saying she's not responsible for her actions because I think some time down the track this incident may even come back to haunt her. She's too haughty and arrogant for her own good, obviously learning nothing from that incident. No doubt PYY softened her up over time to a point where she was completely under his spell and she turned into a major superstitious wreck. To her he was miracle worker because he was able to heal but really what he was a cult leader and transformed a group of elite students into a fanatical following blindly doing his will. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere for us all. :wink:

As far as I know, it is supposed to be 50 episodes.

• Like 3

Another point that my mind cannot forget is Prince Yu's son. Where he is? We know that Lin Shu saved he and his mother, and I really doubt this writer would just forget his existence in NIF2.

Maybe he is the mastermind behind all of this...Can't wait for the future episodes!

• Like 2

Watched 24 episodes in two days!  I'm bingeing like crazy and then come the brakes... NO MORE EPISODES!!!  

What to do?  I can't wait!  

Come to this forum where 25-26 are out and see the comments... NOW I REALLY CAN'T WAIT!!!  

LOVING this series, the costumes, the settings, the plot, the acting, everything is so beautifully done.  

There is the usual conflict between two romantic characters, either status differences, or prior family commitment, or ?? and all the negative talk between the two characters.   I like you - don't say that to me  --- that kind of stuff.  It doesn't create tension, it's annoying.

Finally nice to have a husband/wife team that are loving and in-love with each other. 

I happen to like political intrigue, but this queen is dumb with a capital D.  

I am fully-invested in the series and will wait for each and every episode release.  And then wait again for Eng subs.  

Really must learn Chinese!  And Korean.  

If get started now, will have it all down in a couple of lifetimes. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, watchumlots said:

LOVING this series, the costumes, the settings, the plot, the acting, everything is so beautifully done.  

There is the usual conflict between two romantic characters, either status differences, or prior family commitment, or ?? and all the negative talk between the two characters.   I like you - don't say that to me  --- that kind of stuff.  It doesn't create tension, it's annoying.

Finally nice to have a husband/wife team that are loving and in-love with each other. 

I happen to like political intrigue, but this queen is dumb with a capital D.  

I am fully-invested in the series and will wait for each and every episode release.  And then wait again for Eng subs.  

Really must learn Chinese!  And Korean.  

If get started now, will have it all down in a couple of lifetimes. 

Hii and I agree! Especially about the queen *lol*. And also agree about learning Chinese and Korean :D . I really couldnt wait and tried to listen to the the conversation, and finally able to catch some words that I understand :lol:, so at least I could understand what people were talking about, hahaha . Then, I wait again for the english subs *lol*

I dont really like political drama, actually..but this one also has family relationship , investigation and action. Like @LyraYoo, I also love the martial art's sequences. My fave ones are the ones in epi 15 and 17, which I rewatched several times. The other ones are also great, though

@40somethingahjumma, thanks! 

For the recent episodes :

Love Tinsheng father-son relationship towards PJ. Before this, he always nagged at him, but after PZ is gone, it seems that he understands how hard it is for PJ and shows his love for him. This is one of the things that I love about this show. The family relationship is shown beautifully

And, I think Liu Haoran did a good job as the mature PJ, didnt he? His acting was different in this 2nd half of the story. He really felt like a more mature person, but still maintain his natural characters like before. 

• Like 4

This might be a spoiler for the future so dont read unless you want some spoiler

Spoiler

At 2.52 you see two people clashing in the big hall one is PJ and the other is Yuanqi , this fight should not even be happening. There is no way Yuanqi who basically trained by him self and got trained by someone else for a little while should even be able to last seconds vs PJ who got trained by skilled people . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wotad said:

This might be a spoiler for the future so dont read unless you want some spoiler

Hide contents

At 2.52 you see two people clashing in the big hall one is PJ and the other is Yuanqi , this fight should not even be happening. There is no way Yuanqi who basically trained by him self and got trained by someone else for a little while should even be able to last seconds vs PJ who got trained by skilled people . 

I've seen that before. If you look closely, then there are also other spoilers besides that :D . And there are even more in the 6 minutes extended trailer. I really wonder why chinese dramas sometimes give too many spoilers in their trailers *LOL* . 

Regarding PJ vs Yuanqi, I think it's hard for Yuanqi to match PJ's level. But I believe that Yuanqi will advance a lot, considering that he has great ambitions and a good teacher. Perhaps the fight is just a friendly spar between the two , although Yuanqi should have a strong desire to defeat him. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rhaps said:
  Hide contents

I've seen that before. If you look closely, then there are also other spoilers besides that :D . And there are even more in the 6 minutes extended trailer. I really wonder why chinese dramas sometimes give too many spoilers in their trailers *LOL* . 

Regarding PJ vs Yuanqi, I think it's hard for Yuanqi to match PJ's level. But I believe that Yuanqi will advance a lot, considering that he has great ambitions and a good teacher. Perhaps the fight is just a friendly spar between the two , although Yuanqi should have a strong desire to defeat him. 

Spoiler

Nah i dont think its friendly i think Yuanqi will go against PJ later on and even if hes advancing and has ambitions he should not be advancing this far and whose his teacher? 

PJ's skill would not stay the same either, if you think about the timeline and how many years PJ trained no way Yuanqi should even be a threat vs PJ

Trailers / Spoilers - Think these may be made and distributed before the final edit ----> can contain scenes that never appear in the movie/series, or, if watching closely, scenes will appear out-of-sequence compared to the actual production.  WHATEVER!  The trailer/spoiler scenes are always beautiful and intriguing:  The flowing fabric, the fight scenes, the longing looks, all look like ballet in slo-mo.  Making trailers must be a specific skill as they make even the dullest series look exciting and enticing.  

WHAT IS UP with that Sorcerer?  Every scene he is cookin'-sumthin'-up!  Stirring, adding, measuring, and lately, caressing his pet snake.  How many of his followers can he kill and still have people who will follow him?  

Do/Will the Minister ever learn that the Sorcerer contaminated the little ClownPrince with the plague?  Half of the Clown Prince's DNA comes from that DumbQueen, poor kid doesn't stand a chance.  The attempted murder scene was awesome!