[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

Judging from what little I've seen in the previews, I don't think I need to worry too much about the final phase of this show. I choose to believe that we're in good hands. :D It's clear that the Marquis Mozi of Donghai is finally making his move and soon, I suspect, PJ would be forced out of retirement, seclusion (or whatever state he's at) to do his bit for Liang.

I guess I'm someone who's very fond of PJ and I want him to do well. I've been barracking for him since the day his father said that he favoured PZ more. :D Although he's impetuous where politics is concerned -- a square peg in a round hole -- I've always had high hopes for him as PZ did. He has the brains and the talents to exceed even his brother if he would just tamper some of his impulses. I've always thought that The Wind Blows in Changlin is his story more than anything...  It's his growing up journey from being a carefree, mischievous pugilist to becoming a respected military leader and strategist. He's the imperfect scion from a family of highly accomplished, highly respected soldiers and he's had a lot to learn. The road obviously wasn't going to be an easy one but I'm certain the show will demonstrate in clear terms why the world needs Xiao PIngjing. Little by little he's been stripped of one pillar of support after another so soon he will have to stand on his own two feet. Going back to leading an army will have to be his choice I think. Freely made. Not out of family obligation, not even trying to live up to the family name and certainly not out of guilt.

I don't get the impression that we're in for a sad ending. (Although I'd rather have that over a cliffhanger/incomplete ending any day) I think we've had enough sadness in the past 10 or so episode and we're definitely overdue for a change in scenery and atmosphere. :wink: 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with you @40somethingahjumma on PJ. As i m also vy fond of him and having high hope of the character, therefore my worry is on Liu Hoaran to carry it out. So far, LHR is doing quite ok...keeping my fingers crossed. 

As we have gone thru so many emotional turbulences as of epi 36, personally i think the ending should not be a bad one. It shd be a moment if not victory but at least the name of Changlin is redeemed. PJ will finally find happiness with LX. Of course this can only be my wish for now. 

3 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

My impression Feizan is in charge of internal security. So far no other General mentioned in the court. There shd be more like the Mu family in the southern border. Just that they did not cover.

If there was a war on the southern border though im sure they could go over there and take control.

Can someone tell me why Feizhan is at langya mountain. 

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Judging from what little I've seen in the previews, I don't think I need to worry too much about the final phase of this show. I choose to believe that we're in good hands. :D It's clear that the Marquis Mozi of Donghai is finally making his move and soon, I suspect, PJ would be forced out of retirement, seclusion (or whatever state he's at) to do his bit for Liang.

I guess I'm someone who's very fond of PJ and I want him to do well. I've been barracking for him since the day his father said that he favoured PZ more. :D Although he's impetuous where politics is concerned -- a square peg in a round hole -- I've always had high hopes for him as PZ did. He has the brains and the talents to exceed even his brother if he would just tamper some of his impulses. I've always thought that The Wind Blows in Changlin is his story more than anything...  It's his growing up journey from being a carefree, mischievous pugilist to becoming a respected military leader and strategist. He's the imperfect scion from a family of highly accomplished, highly respected soldiers and he's had a lot to learn. The road obviously wasn't going to be an easy one but I'm certain the show will demonstrate in clear terms why the world needs Xiao PIngjing. Little by little he's been stripped of one pillar of support after another so soon he will have to stand on his own two feet. Going back to leading an army will have to be his choice I think. Freely made. Not out of family obligation, not even trying to live up to the family name and certainly not out of guilt.

I don't get the impression that we're in for a sad ending. (Although I'd rather have that over a cliffhanger/incomplete ending any day) I think we've had enough sadness in the past 10 or so episode and we're definitely overdue for a change in scenery and atmosphere. :wink: 

I somehow doubt it that Tingshen really favor PZ that much more. It is more like both son represent different thing. PZ is the heir, who Tingshen can put his hope and trust. While PJ is the "child", one that must be protected. In episode 5, when PJ came home Tingshen lectured him but I felt that is just a father caring for his young child. I am the youngest within 4 sibings, even when I am already an adult, my family more or less still coddle and lecture me things I already understand everytime we gather. In episode 16, in the early sreen, PJ talked in defense for PZ about the incident when PJ followed DTZ. Even though it was not showed, we can conclude that Tingshen must have been give his piece to PZ, thus PJ argument to defense his brother.

I also wait when PJ return to military. How and why he does it

@rhaps -- It is a bit like a Jing Yong narrative although thankfully without the travelling harem or the love triangles. I don't know if it would necessarily be better for PJ if PZ were around. It might be better for us... I'm sure... :wink: because we love and miss him but for PJ's development... that's another thing entirely.

Yeah, I'm evil and I'm sure I'll have eggs thrown at me but I do think that PZ had to die for PJ to grow up. Or at the very least disappear from the political landscape for an extended period of time. The writer's logic is compelling.

@xienrue  I'm just quoting the Old Prince. :wink: Of course I don't think he loves one son more than the other and I don't doubt he said it in part just to get a rise out of PJ... but there's no denying his saying it and the fact that PJ acknowledged it to be true. I love the Old Prince as much as anyone else but just imagine the burden and burning guilt that PJ must have felt when he thought about how everyone would have been better off if he had died instead of PZ because his older brother was the obvious (and perfect) choice to be the Changlin successor. PJ lived with the burden of comparison. (which I think is the point here).. it wasn't so much of an issue when he was hanging around Langya Mountain doing his own thing out of the spotlight but in the Big Smoke where he was out of place, the differences in their temperament and abilities were glaring.

Parents compare their children more often than they probably realise and often inadvertently... but the thing is... they do it...  Not necessarily because they love one more than another per se but some of their children's personalities fit better with their own expectations. I know I've been guilty of it myself.

That's why it's so precious when the Old Prince says to PJ when he returns from crushing the Yu army that he did something that neither he nor PZ was ever able to do... that he was proud of him.

My original point is that I root for the underdog... almost always... PZ didn't need my love... he already had it all. :D

Thoughts re: Episode 37

Spoiler

The amount of tears I've spent on this show... dear me... has outstripped anything I've done for any C drama previously. That said, I'm glad they gave the Old Prince a lovely extended send off lasting over an episode. It had the right amount of pathos and quiet celebration. What was even more compelling was how they used the funeral to show not only how much Xiao Tingsheng was beloved but also the tension brewing inside of Pingjing thinking of what could have been if Pingzhang had been the surviving son and blaming himself for perhaps the downfall of the Changlin name. The two highlights from the wake for me was firstly, his exchange with the young emperor... I loved it when the young emperor called him "Pinging ge ge" and then at the end Pingjing called him "Yuanshi" affectionately just to let him know there were no hard feelings. (Danggit, what's wrong with me... everything's fogging up again). The other highlight is when Pingjing finally breaks down and says what's on his heart to Lin Xi... coincidentally, the very thoughts I articulated in a post yesterday. That seemed to unravel a few knots in his heart. I'm glad she urged him to move on but I would have been gladder still if she told him who she was! :D I was holding my breath the entire time hoping she would just say it!

I'm also relieved that the Old Prince and PJ shared a really wonderful moment before his passing. It showed again I think what a profound influence Xiao Tingsheng and his wife had on their sons. It was so sweet that he set PJ free to be the man he wanted to be. (Man, I just keep tearing up) Hopefully he'll take that to heart and move on

I find the Xun family (Feizhan an exception) rather hateful. The Old Prince has not even been buried and they're talking about winning and taking over authority over the army. The Empress Dowager especially... beggars belief. I imagine it will, in the long run, be a pyrrhic victory. No doubt she's the emperor's mother and is looking out for him on some level but she's also the empress dowager of the entire country. Her attitude has been woeful from the start... obviously not helped by the manipulations of PYY but really a woman of her age should be able to think for herself to some degree. This is what happens when people only narrowly perceive things for their own benefit. I know the family thinks that they're concerned about the future but it's the consolidation of the throne that they primarily care about and that it's in their hands. They're looking at the numbers without understanding what makes an army great.

You know, it occurred to me at the end of this episode what a very great man Feizhan is. He's been such a dark horse in some ways but I've really come to love and respect him as he quietly supports the Changlin family in the sidelines and despite his family's machinations and resentments, he's above it all. We were right about Feizhan incidentally... crushing on Xue'er all these years and burying his feelings deeply. He as much as confessed it to his uncle. Much as I loved PZ there's a part of me that hopes he gets the girl in the end. In light of that revelation I respect him even more for how he was able to set aside his own feelings and work with the Changlin manor all that time without jealousy and acrimony. He really is a decent human being... so decent that he can't sit around and be witness to all the rubbish that has gone on and will continue to go on in the palace. So he's off travelling the country and seeing the sights.

I am a person who doesn't believe in hanging on to things for the sake of hanging on to them. If an institution has gone past its used by date so be it. But what happened to Changlin was unnecessary although in the short term it may be politically expedient.

Yuanqi... sigh... I don't know what to think... I feel like he's made a deal with Mephistopheles and the devil keeps coming back to demand payment. 

Ep. 37-38 Thoughts and Questions: 

Spoiler

Even though I didn't understand what was being said throughout the entire 2 episodes. I just got to say that ... can anyone believe that only 2-3 more weeks left of this drama!!!! I hope that the fire that is going to burn later in the palace isn't going to be too bad. I'm so scared. At first, I thought that Feizhan 's sister was going to end up being the Emperor's wife. But I guess she will be given to Yuanqi. (I really do want FeiZhen's sister to be able to turn Yuanqi back into a nice person but I doubt she will be able to). I just want to know what PJ said to the Emperor when giving back the badge or more importantly, what did the general sec xun said to PJ when visiting during the funeral? The dialogue between LinXi and PJ. LX telling PJ to let go but not sure what she said that made him break down. I do hope that PJ and Feizhen will return back to the palace to help later. 

Episode 38  Ramblings

Spoiler

One of the saddest moments of the episode was watching the servants take down the Changlin signboard in front of the manor. It isn't sad because a once great family has now been reduced to one son, a daughter-in-law and a grandson but that no good deed goes unpunished. I get the political rationale behind it and I know that PJ is a bit weary of all the rubbish he's had to contend with but yeah... no one is indispensable it seems as long as the country is peaceful and the emperor has got control of the army (*bitter sarcasm)

But yay... Lin Xi is back in PJ's life. Thank goodness we didn't have to endure episode after episode of separation like it seems to be the custom of C dramas these days. The conversation between PJ and Xue'er after his sword practice was great... Liu Haoran's acting was pretty good there. One minute he's striding seriously mimicking the Old Master Lin and the moment he hears that LX is coming up the mountain, his gait changes immediately and his entire face lights up. Like a little boy eager to get his treat. :wink: More like the PJ of old... if only for a few seconds. :D Xue'er now takes on the mentor role, giving him a bit of timely advice and a push. Heh. 

"When Father was around, certain things weren't said, that was ceremonial and thoughtful people would have understood [why], [she] wouldn't have blamed you. But in these 3 years, you've fulfilled your filial obligations, what you [now] need to say, needs to be said clearly. Regarding the young lady, you can't be vague, this is not the way of a gentleman."

To which PJ replies... "The locket, I picked it/took it off a long time ago."

Xue'er: To find someone suitable in one's lifetime isn't easy. In Miss Lin's heart she will have her own world/field of activity. Even though she may harbour true feelings, she won't reveal them so easily. This is something you must accept, not try to change her like a vulgar man.

PJ: Why would I want to change her?

Xue'er: Now, tell your sister-in-law, what does your heart say?

PJ: Rest assured Sister-in-law, this time when LX comes up the mountain, I won't let go of her so easily again.

Squeeeeee... :wub:

When they finally meet and LX tells him where she's been... the southwest... and would like to go back there again because the flora there is quite unique... PJ says...

"In future... we will go [there] together." Very subtle PJ... but a vast improvement. :D

Has Liang become that pathetic without the Changlin family that nobody wants to take up arms to recover the 10 provinces from Donghai? Really? It's good to see the emperor assert himself a bit more and he seems to be coming into his own.

I don't know how Yuanqi can live with himself. Doesn't he feel like a fraud? His conquests in the 7 provinces was his for the taking. Then asking for Xun Anrun's hand in marriage as his reward... hmmm... I am frustrated and not a little angry with his duplicity. Slippery slope young man... slippery slope.

Well, PJ... has had a nice long sleep and methinks it's time he wakes up and gets back on the saddle. You're a good kid and you won't sit and watch your country go to dust.

@littlemay -- There is no novel. The screenplay, however was written by the author of the first installment, Hai Yan.

Edited to make corrections inside of spoiler tags.

Finally soompi is up again ...

Spoiler

Episode 37 is so tiresome for my mental, too many tears. It is so sad to see how PJ feels he was undeserving to live. Hopefully he can heal now and live well. In episode 38, it seems more or less he can finally move on.

How I hate the grand secretary. How could he talk about punishment in a funeral! I don't really understand what they were talking about but I take that the punishment would be the Chang Lin name dissolution but PJ will retain his general title? Because the empress dowager and her brother seemed to be dissatisfied with the "light" punishment.

And did the young emperor realize his error when he went to Tingshen funeral? The way he talked with PJ ..... I hope he would really regret his moment of weakness when he got manipulated.

passing by again while waiting for new subbed ep to say

its bittersweet that Lin Chen outlived everyone from the 1st series,  Xiao Shu, Jingyan, Tingsheng , Jingyan son. Meng dage and  even Mu Qing if im not mistaken. they mention his passing few ep earlier. sad. how old Lin Chen in the first series and how old is he right now, you think?

and can i ask, when the old emperor at his death bed, who is the old man with the beard come visiting him talking about Tingsheng? is that his family member too?

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

On PJ/LHR : 

Reveal hidden contents

Watching LX went shy and all, I've thought that PJ was flirting *LOL*. I honestly think that LHR was really doing a good job here. Yes, he wasnt as charismatic as the senior actors, but I could feel that PJ was growing up. PJ in epi 38 was smiling and bright, but he wasnt the same person as the one in the first half of the show. He was more mature and calm, although he has gone back to his naughty cheeky self.

And in epi 37, his expressions when LX told him to let go were really good. It was a good acting from both of them, but in LHR's case, he had shown PJ's internal struggle really well.

Back to epi 38, so he said that he had broken the locket a long time ago? Oh I wish LX showed hers and said,"Oh you broke yours? Too bad. That means mine is useless now" . LOL *imagining PJ's dumb expressions* 

Spoiler

The word should be properly translated "pick" or "taken off" rather than "broken". Sorry about that. 

No, no flirting... but he did say "go together" in a very meaningful way. :D

I agree that LHR's acting in these last couple of episodes was on point. I think we can see that the transformation is just about complete when he's speaking with his sister-in-law. There are of course flashes of the old PJ especially when he interacts with his nephew and LJ but the way he holds himself even in front of LX and SIL has been quite different.

I think the word you were looking for is love polygon. :tongue:

The beauty of this show is that it doesn't rely on melodramatic cliches to provide drama. When the writing is this thoughtful and ably supported by good acting, there's no need for nutty tropes to draw the audience in. Human beings make enough bad decisions all on their own to create enough problems for a lifetime without the need for crazy contrivances.

Sequels are always hard... especially when the first one is so widely lauded. Expectations can be both high and low. There are only a handful of franchises that have had really good sequels or sequels surpassing the first. But it was a smart move getting Hai Yan back to write the screenplay.

@LyraYoo and @cheeriekwan  Thank you for sharing those Xiao Tingsheng tributes. They're lovely.

1 hour ago, rhaps said:
  Hide contents

They were in ancient era, so he was definitely flirting *LOL*  (saying things like that in a very meaningful way and giving meaningful stare). Do you remember that we once discussed about how PJ would approach LX if there was no marriage contract? Now, this is the time to see how aggressive he can be *LOL*. Although, I kinda doubt it, because they were back talking politics  ..hahaha . 

Spoiler

Well, not strictly politics :wink: but yes... they were enjoying a moment until she brought up the situation at the eastern border. :tongue:

But I don't think he will hold back now. :wink: I'm sure she'll tell him who she is eventually... hopefully just not during the wedding night before he unveils her or right after. Mood killer.

Your English is fine... don't mind me putting on my teacher hat now and again. :wink:

Comparisons are inevitable... for good or for ill. But honestly, the show is in its last phase now and if by this time, people can't see it as a different show set in the same universe... well, they might as well not watch any other C dramas because really, most of them don't come close to matching the quality of the two Nirvana dramas.

Well, I love this drama and I've watched the first ten episodes at least 4 times already and the epidemic arc at least 5 times. So far I cannot rewatch PZ's death and funeral... it's too heart breaking. The aftermath of PJ's battle with Yu makes me too angry. Maybe one of these days when it's all done. I might be able to revisit all those painful episodes and not bawl my eyes out.

18 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:
  Hide contents

Well, not strictly politics :wink: but yes... they were enjoying a moment until she brought up the situation at the eastern border. :tongue:

But I don't think he will hold back now. :wink: I'm sure she'll tell him who she is eventually... hopefully just not during the wedding night before he unveils her or right after. Mood killer.

Your English is fine... don't mind me putting on my teacher hat now and again. :wink:

Comparisons are inevitable... for good or for ill. But honestly, the show is in its last phase now and if by this time, people can't see it as a different show set in the same universe... well, they might as well not watch any other C dramas because really, most of them don't come close to matching the quality of the two Nirvana dramas.

Well, I love this drama and I've watched the first ten episodes at least 4 times already and the epidemic arc at least 5 times. So far I cannot rewatch PZ's death and funeral... it's too heart breaking. The aftermath of PJ's battle with Yu makes me too angry. Maybe one of these days when it's all done. I might be able to revisit all those painful episodes and not bawl my eyes out.

I also watched the first 20 epsiodes multiple times, especially where there is Chang Lin family moment. So sweet and adorable. PZ death, .... I don't re-watch it at all.

Spoiler

After watching episode 37 yesterday, I am so full of pain. I don't think I can handle re-watching the early episodes for now. The happiness always remind me of "what if". Maybe after the show ended ....:bawling:

Not to mention I always angry everytime the empress dowager and her brother discussing the scheme

So much tears shed over these two episodes... but the scene that totally broke me and drove home the unassailable truth:

"萧氏庭生回家啦 Tingsheng of the House of Xiao, come home!:bawling:

tf9HXfPAZPmRkmNLJeIInGo0irulB7izcFT7fRn86sLoRHik5aAzF_L8HrJbVs38rwm2_gwYGD7paFLzIOSFkK6M8GZ15a2ngfuHE6YGhFrmgYawe618_a4yIGDtq2dkMAeB9taVRyo2vN1_GHT5bjclkRWXQ5lHGPu68XWzgVjJjQAL9NvuYQtBsbKd7IwcEkFDf0ahX1Suf62RGsyvJUsRE-y07G7pEeVBtmMIYy32FlnGc2SSOfogveM_v1e7TWLbvACAKfv0ww8IZWMVIOI9Hja9mXJ-y4g4PjLt01GKGxgPj-BOVRskwBU0ZcwuEGhevQKB47qHaq0Q_ZVnkguWe9mJ0FuNzjS5lxiO6hPdDqUmC4jCirAblVeATvcvNezgyvKy7zzsNN1-IGFeUN0_MJVfaBP4urBgrbvf225d5f0LHtf_7uIbRT2ViYfQww3lbKTFDGLgCWFFUAFm7JSLvN4bN3hjW545r5BZ6eBAj9_H_vVUSBicSgUlSTHvzYfQF9MOcVZVapg9e54rJkDnJIyHMirrV4pugzuseCDVdp_7LmbP-_ovGdKdYdk-Y0_2jmx5iqIPVynDklo_dYShxkYc4Mkt-GGcaK8=w1280-h720-no

My feelings are all over the place, so am probably incoherent, but anyway, some fragmented thoughts:

Spoiler

What a perfect tribute to an amazing character, one whose loss is felt so keenly and whose absence now leaves a gaping hole in my heart. Xiao Tingsheng has been the embodiment of perfection - as a father, as a subject, as a patriot, as a mentor. Calm, clear-headed, far-sighted, wise, loyal, he impacted the lives of all he knew, even Yuanqiand the kingdom of Liang is all the poorer without him. 

The etiquette coach Li Bin said it best as he described how moved he was by the script when he first read it, which brings back what has largely been forgotten - how a father should be, how a son should be, the relationship between husband and wife, brothers, friends. What an apt description, particularly of Ep37, when Xiao Tingsheng expresses the cruel twist of fate that would see Pingjing left all alone upon his death, without even his brother to be there to look out for each other. How he cuts Pingjing loose from the shackles of Changlin and the political intrigues, allowing him to be free to lead the kind of life that his nature gravitated towards. His final funeral arrangements... 衣冠葬王陵,遗骨归梅岭 his robes to be buried in the royal tomb, his remains to return to Meiling. Pingjing's tears were heart-wrenching in that final conversation with his father, the desperation of a child who knows his father will be leaving him behind, and Liu Haoran nailed that scene and Pingjing's grief. Cut to the hanging of the symbols of mourning over the Changlin plaque, the soul caller crying out to Xiao Tingsheng to come home, and I am a tearful mess once more.

Lin Xi's gentle exhortations to Pingjing, "Let go. Let go. Let go."... finally breaking him free from the throes of guilt and grief that had bound him for being the one chosen to live, when he believed himself so unworthy, and the lesser of the two brothers. Perfectly delivered.

The symbolic show of profound grief by the young king was another powerful scene that moved me to tears once again. And his refusal to take the Changlin military tally since the army would now bear a new name, would I believe, one day be instrumental in Pingjing's rallying of the original Changlin army to save the kingdom of Liang in its darkest hour. 

@rhaps Please see my responses below:

Spoiler

The deal was for Yuanqi to provide all the logistics that would enable the Marquis to capture 10 cities. However, he would ensure that Yuanqi, at the forefront of the charge to recapture the cities, would regain 7 out of the 10, as the Marquis was only truly interested in 3 of the cities. In this way, Yuanqi had the advantage of consolidating his power and standing in court, while the Marquis got to keep the 3 cities he had been eyeing all along.

Yuanqi at first refused to betray Liang, which he considered his own country. Ultimately, what changed his mind was the revelation he had before Xiao Tingsheng's cortege left for Meiling:

"The era of Changlin was formidable and renowned. However, as long as one is a subject, as long as there is a ruler over you, it did not matter what you have contributed to the country, nor how deep your relationship is - all these would be taken away from you in an instant. Oldest Uncle, have you never resented having to give up all the opportunities you had?"

In that moment, I believe the seeds to take the throne finally took root in him, so that his life need never be controlled and subject to the whims and decisions of another person ever again, in the same way his parents were taken from him.

@Wotad I guess you stopped reading spoilers already :D 

This is basically an ancient custom for a soul caller to stand on the rooftops, waving the clothes of the deceased and crying out his name, calling his wandering soul to come home. 

Archived