[Drama 2016-2017] My Fair Lady (Oh My Geum-Bi) 오 마이 금비

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.inquisitr.com/3727565/oh-my-geum-bi-kdrama-new-kbs-series-aims-to-pull-at-heartstrings-with-concept-bringing-childrens-alzheimers-disease-to-the-forefront-video/

Now, the latest K-drama using the concept of a character suffering an incurable disease or condition has recently aired, Oh My Geum Bi. It will also pull fans’ heartstrings even more than the others because the character affected is a cute, smart girl.

For those who are unfamiliar with the latest K-drama to air on the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) starring Heo Jung Eun, Oh Ji Ho, Park Jin Hee, and Oh Yoon Ah, Oh My Geum Bi is at its heart a father and daughter story. According to the synopsis of the plot, Yoo Geum Bi (Jung Eun) is a 10-year-old girl who had to “grow up” fast due to her upbringing. Because of circumstances in her life, she ends up living with her father who did not know he had her as a daughter, Mo Hwi Chul (Ji Ho). As time goes by, their relationship as father and daughter grows to the point they are truly a family.

The concept of the plot seems to paint a beautiful, poignant story of a man and a child who happens to be his offspring truly forming into a loving father and daughter relationship. However, the catalyst that changes Mo Hwi Chul into a loving father is Yoo Geum Bi’s condition as she is diagnosed with childhood Alzheimer’s disease. Medically, the disease is not Alzheimer’s disease in how it affects the brain, but the debilitating affects such as dementia are the same. In short, Geum Bi is slowly and surely losing her mind.

When the signs of Yoo Geum Bi’s childhood Alzheimer’s disease starts to show, it will really hit K-drama fans emotionally. Right now, Oh My Geum Bi is pushing Yoo Geum Bi to be admirable and adorable at the same time. She is smart, believes in a sense of justice and what is right, and mature beyond her years, this can be seen in how she takes care of herself as well as reading tarot cards and playing Go-Stop. Yet, she is still a cute, little girl. With this in mind, KBS will definitely hit K-drama fans emotionally if they actually show what ultimately happens to any child who is diagnosed with children’s Alzheimer’s disease happen to Yoo Geum Bi and have her pass away.

Oh My Geum Bi has so far shown excellent acting by the cast, excellent direction, and an interesting plot K-drama fans will surely dive into. However, it is competing against The Legend of the Blue Sea which marks Lee Min Ho’s return to K-dramas since Heirs back in 2013. Ergo, many K-drama fans will more likely be interested in the K-drama featuring Min Ho’s comeback over Oh My Geum Bi as proven in the Korean viewership ratings provided by TNmS Media Korea and AGB Nielsen Korea. The former recorded a nationwide viewership of 5.6 percent for and the latter recorded a nationwide viewership of 6.5 percent, both for the second episode. Apparently, the viewership was too low for a rating for the Seoul National Capital Area to be recorded by either viewership company.

It is sad to say, but Oh My Geum Bi looks like it will suffer the same fate Please Come Back, Mister suffered when it aired on the same days and time as Descendants of the Sun. KBS might be prepared to handle the situation though and will do what they can to get by.

Oh My Geum Bi airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10 p.m. KST on KBS channel KBS2. For those who do not have access to Korean free-to-watch channels, Oh My Geum Bi can be viewed for free, with ads, on DramaFever, Viki, and OnDemandKorea pending region.

[Featured Image by the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS)]

8ekEpJw.png

Just don't care abt the rating, being a while not seeing a good acting and story line like this.

Hi guys. I just finished watching the two episodes and it definitely caught my attention. Oh My Geum Bi is a very heartwarming drama for me. It didnt fail to grab me by the heart with its awesome story and stellar acting of Oh Ji Ho and  Heo Jung Eun. I saw HJE first in Moonlight and there's no doubt that she's a good child actress so I'm happy for her that she got her acting break here in this drama. I just hope many will tune in for this because its a gem and people cant miss this. :)

6 hours ago, samzz said:

When the signs of Yoo Geum Bi’s childhood Alzheimer’s disease starts to show, it will really hit K-drama fans emotionally. Right now, Oh My Geum Bi is pushing Yoo Geum Bi to be admirable and adorable at the same time. She is smart, believes in a sense of justice and what is right, and mature beyond her years, this can be seen in how she takes care of herself as well as reading tarot cards and playing Go-Stop. Yet, she is still a cute, little girl. With this in mind, KBS will definitely hit K-drama fans emotionally if they actually show what ultimately happens to any child who is diagnosed with children’s Alzheimer’s disease happen to Yoo Geum Bi and have her pass away.

Oh My Geum Bi has so far shown excellent acting by the cast, excellent direction, and an interesting plot K-drama fans will surely dive into. However, it is competing against The Legend of the Blue Sea which marks Lee Min Ho’s return to K-dramas since Heirs back in 2013. Ergo, many K-drama fans will more likely be interested in the K-drama featuring Min Ho’s comeback over Oh My Geum Bi as proven in the Korean viewership ratings provided by TNmS Media Korea and AGB Nielsen Korea. The former recorded a nationwide viewership of 5.6 percent for and the latter recorded a nationwide viewership of 6.5 percent, both for the second episode. Apparently, the viewership was too low for a rating for the Seoul National Capital Area to be recorded by either viewership company.

I don't agree with this idea. Oh My Geum Bi is the only drama increase in ratings in that timeslot, second place is good. How they can say that it's too low?

Is there any 9 year old in the whole world who can act better than this girl?  Absolute perfection in her expressions in every scene. There probably aren't too many little girls as cute as her either.  That's all I have to say.  All the rest of the drama is pretty ordinary, but the little one has carried the show.  Stunning performance, I would say.

4 hours ago, jayakris said:

Is there any 9 year old in the whole world who can act better than this girl?  Absolute perfection in her expressions in every scene. There probably aren't too many little girls as cute as her either.  That's all I have to say.  All the rest of the drama is pretty ordinary, but the little one has carried the show.  Stunning performance, I would say.

To be honest, most young Korean actors can act this good. The problem starts when they get older and play more adult roles that they have to be so exaggerated in their acting. I have to say that this actress is just so good in this role.

3 hours ago, lclarakl said:

To be honest, most young Korean actors can act this good. The problem starts when they get older and play more adult roles that they have to be so exaggerated in their acting. I have to say that this actress is just so good in this role.

I know that Korea produces child actors by the truck load, like no other place out there.  Almost all child actors are terrific in Korea.  But I feel that this kid is simply something special even among them.  You're also right that they don't always act this well later, too.

Because  my drama choices has never failed me, I'm right about this.  Even without hallyu stars and big budget prod, this one  beats them.

OMG! This drama is  gonna be gem. It's turning out to be one. Even before it premiered. I said on  page 1, this is going to be tearjerker. I already wiped a tear  episode 1. I'll say it again. I love this drama from the very first scene of episode 1 all the way to the end of ep 2. So good.  The writing, the scenes, it doesn't dwell, it's fast pace actually scenes has humor to  in way that isn't corny or cheesy it evens out the poignancy. The real GEM is the youngest female lead HJE!  Think  young Dakota Fanning, I am Sam or  Abigail Breslyn Little Miss Sunshine...  these kids nominated for oscar even won awards. More on HJE her in a bit.

So thoughts for Ep 2..  the cute witty banter continued between GB and HC., he kind of put up with her because.. the need  to, plus GB is useful in the 'conman' plan. Story does not tell us why he ended up as con artist, plus he's got two other partners in in their con games.  I also like the school scene there's a mini otp and triangle. it's so darn cute. I can't even.  found myself  smiling and cheering like. Princess Sara to your Lavinia be like.

Two scenes that capture this drama's wonderful range of acting and quality of writing:

1. A drollery rain scene. HC BG are homeless after HC and was kicked out of the room they were renting and  his con friends left him to  deal with.  GB ask,  where are they going to sleep.. HC said "I'm thinking of getting house"  that alone made me laugh so hard. He was talking about a tent.. a waterproof tent. Ha!. It rained they were soaked and they argued so cutely.   It's the witty funny banter that makes it so good.

2. The dramatic exchange of words during  car scene.  HC BG arguing as HC got fine for illegal parking which meant he had to pay and he blamed GB for that which led to him talking about other things. including  telling GB she doesn't even know who her real mother is. . which led to GB getting hurt and then.That whole scene. That terrific excellent monologue of BG.  the quality of acting. slow clap! My favorite scene for ep 2. They were were having heated exchange here HC was shouting at her telling to go... just to.. want to go to her.. go! 

GB: "Who's the one being stubborn. Does old age make you an adult?  You do bad things and then you lie instead of taking responsibility. You blame others  and end up homeless, spending the night in the car. You can only afford convenience store food. SHAME ON YOU.  You think Kang Hee will care about men like you? Know your place.  Why should I stay away  from her for someone like you?  You said she found out you're a con artist. You said she won't welcome a conman's daughter. "

Spoiler

CxttLpCXcAAKRwn.jpg

CxttPGwW8AQikEW.jpg
CxttZSeW8AANsoq.jpg
CxttamxXcAA-ucJ.jpg

OMG! i love!

Heo Jung Eun deserves all that praise for her acting skills.. way better than most in current dramas.  She is special. the youngest female lead, and frankly  best in the field at the moment.

The dementia will likely occur  next episodes and we'll just have to deal with our tears..this is turning out to be really good one.  You know it's a good drama when the w story is good, the writing is of high quality and acting skills of the cast is superb.

I don't care about ratings.. but this drama deserves recognition. 

Five Children. Memory.  Remember-War of the Son. Page Turner.... and now this....

The writing, the acting, the quality of the drama. Devoid of  hallyu stars, I've never been more  so glad.

Kang Hee  and her sadness.

Spoiler

CxmX5lwUoAEX-d1.jpg

CxmYI5dUAAAo_7-.jpg
CxmYKm1UkAAQt_q.jpg
CxmYLZZVIAAxlQ9.jpg
credit to owner for scaps

16 hours ago, quockhanh45 said:

I don't agree with this idea. Oh My Geum Bi is the only drama increase in ratings in that timeslot, second place is good. How they can say that it's too low?

Don't worry abt what they want to say-basically many journalists love cheesy fluffy stuff, bc they want attention from the reader too.

and actually, quite surprising, OJH managed to get 9th place in power brand ranking bc of this underrated high quality drama. So this drama will hv huge potential to be the talked of the kdramaland, and HJE will hv a major break bc shes so diff from other young emerging talent. Something which I saw from one actress 10 years ago. Just hope she and her parents know how to handle her from all the leeches, manipulators in the k-ent industry.

Oh Ji-Ho on the ninth and tenth spot

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/174529/20161120/legend-blue-sea-stars-lee-min-ho-jun-ji-hyun.htm#ixzz4QbIOcjD3

@jongski, you mentioned  Abigail Breslyn Little Miss Sunshine ..., oh I'm a big fan of her, esp in that film, same with what I experienced after watching 2 eps this drama.

First there was SM and YT of Five Children- my couple of the year.. But these two little ones...the cutest thing. This mini otp! ohmy gosh. Cuteneness overload friendship! and rival.. in sorta cute triangle.... hahahaha I just can't :P:lol::wub:

CxtjwsuUkAA6Ojj.jpg
CxtjwsvUAAEBYTb.jpg
credit thedramakorea

6 minutes ago, marypots08 said:

Just curious, did I miss something out of the 2 episodes that shows close connection between Geum Bi and Gang Hee?

how come i feel that Gang Hee is the mother?

I also feel like Gang Hee is the mother because of her maternal love for Geum Bi. She's so much caring towards her that it looks like they have a special connection.

30 minutes ago, chelleshawol said:

I also feel like Gang Hee is the mother because of her maternal love for Geum Bi. She's so much caring towards her that it looks like they have a special connection.

@chelleshawol I agree! And Gang Hee has a painful past that she can't move on.

I believe her father died not forgiving Gang Hee as well for something she has done?

When a drama is good. It's really good! Acting, writing, the scenes, even the ost bgm. Heo Jung Eun - youngest female lead. Future best actress! ♡

One minute you're laughing the next you're crying...then you're laughing and crying at the same time. ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Cxl1EusW8AA50ni.jpg

This is just ...

CxmPpiBUkAAstnT.jpg

Tender poignancy.. Hwi Chul and Geum-Bi

MOD EDIT: put multiple images in spoiler tags

Spoiler

CxjBfp2UsAMtVX9.jpg
CxjBfp_VEAEfR8x.jpg
CxjBfqJUUAA0OKz.jpg

all scaps ctto; chubs mish sali

Archived