[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has this been posted?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2016/01/201_195045.html

Popular TV drama "Reply 1988" on cable channel has set another record.

The Friday/Saturday drama, which airs on tvN, registered a national rating average of 17.2 percent, and 17.8 percent for the 18th episode on Jan. 9, according to Nielsen Korea and reports.

The retro-drama attracts viewers mostly in their 40s (20.6 percent). People in their 30s posted 15.7 percent, and people in their 20s posted 12.8 percent.

The drama is about five families in Ssangmun-dong, northern Seoul, in 1988 when Korea hosted its first Summer Olympics and was on the cusp of a boom.

The main plot is about finding a husband for Sung Deok-sun (Girl's Day's Hye-ri) out of two male characters _ Choi Taek (Park Bo-gum) and Kim Jung-hwan (Ryu Jun-yeol).

7 hours ago, Miky88 said:

Just like if we think Taek as well,when he realized Junghwan feelings he choose to cancel his date and confession with DS that day as he valued Junghwan feelings and friendship...yet again one can't run away all their life and i guess some make their own timing or go for it,that doesn't make for ex. Taek a bad friend just different personality for ex. as he didn't do anything bad to JH let's say...What i feel is that they should have brought by themselves the subject rather than opting for their silence yet again in the end both guys were sweyed by their feelings and made the coresponding actions in the present timeline,as their feelings were bigger than other things in the spur of moment and heart talked for them rather than the brain...As we clearly saw both men,especially JungHwan journey to the concert hall while Taek canceled a official game to go to DS and the concert

Yessssssss their silence makes me really really frustated, but that's exactly what the writer-nim wanted to do, to write them like that so they have excuses to make this drama 20 episodes long. but despite how frustated i have become, i'm still amazed of how beautiful their personalities are.

i think when taek asked for a favor to the hospital's chief because junghwan's dad was sick, the only thing i cried about was how beautiful and deep junghwan-taek friendship bond is and this is why i can't hate either of them (maybe sometimes i got really frustated with junghwan because of his hesitations but he did that because he doesn't want to break their relationship apart and he clearly doesn't want taek to suffer and this personality, that always put other people first before him, what makes me love him until now.). and i believe shin pd will make their friendship even more beautiful for the next two episodes so there's no hatred for any characters like what happened these days lol.

p.s though, those who wish to show a scene where junghwan or taek to have his own girl when one of them is not the endgame, face me because i hate that to happen.

just like what shin pd did to chilbong, met a satoori girl out of nowhere... seriously? you wanted to tell us he's not over najeong or what?  although i really want junghwan to be the husband, i still love taek (maybe the amount is not the same with jh. he's one of a unique guy who has a lot of layers that we need to peel and when he's crying because he missed his mom, that's when i fell in love with him, i want to protect him so bad from any harm and i think i understand what makes junghwan backing out) so it's really hurt for me to chose between one of them at first (well i'm not a perfect girl who can stay 'neutral' like the others) and that's why it kinda irked me when i saw something like 'poor, (one of their name), i hope you'll find your girl'.

pardon my english : ))

36 minutes ago, shinheenim said:

i strongly doubt this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i'm not a native korean speaker !! but with 3 years studying it .. i  can definitely say that the translation is so wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's his narration

faith isn't sth that would come find you from time to time ! .. to be able to use the expression "it's faith" it should be a very rare dramatic moment that happend coincidently, that's what you call it faith..that's why the other name of faith is ''timing" .. today,if only i didn't get stuck in those damn lights at all, if only the red light helped me just once at least .. like faith, i could have been the one standing infront of that girl, .. My first love was always caught in that damn, in that damn timing !! that **** Timing !!

Actually, this is the translation of what JH says when he saw Taek got to DS first. Then, later when he is alone in the car hearing the news says that Taek abandoning the game for Deoksun, the translation that @angkahshin provided is true. So both of you are right about the translation as it meant for two different scene. Cmiiw. :)

42 minutes ago, shinheenim said:

i strongly doubt this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i'm not a native korean speaker !! but with 3 years studying it .. i  can definitely say that the translation is so wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's his narration

faith isn't sth that would come find you from time to time ! .. to be able to use the expression "it's faith" it should be a very rare dramatic moment that happend coincidently, that's what you call it faith..that's why the other name of faith is ''timing" .. today,if only i didn't get stuck in those damn lights at all, if only the red light helped me just once at least .. like faith, i could have been the one standing infront of that girl, .. My first love was always caught in that damn, in that damn timing !! that **** Timing !!

I think the narration that @angkahshin meant was the second 'Timing' narration (which is about the same as our translation~).

He did two! First was the one after seeing Taek and Deoksun outside the concert hall, and the second one was that dramatic car scene in the rain :D

So yeah, you both are correct hahaha!

Got confused probably because he did two narrations for ep 18 :)

4 hours ago, Wendy Wang said:

I LOL at the other team for going delusional. I feel sad for them, but a lot of them really disregarded us, and some of them still are. 

i am from the opposite team of yours and i think this is really rude. i don't know who disregarded you, but i think this behavior of yours is the reason why people judged you. i know this line is going to be really biased but everything is not over yet so i hope you can be more careful next time.

Just re-watched JH's 'fake' confession scene with engsub and noticed that DS gave us different reaction while JH were confessing. I saw her smiling like "Ahh, finally you said that to me" or "Aaaah that moment, I knew it". But when JH said it was for DR wish to see him proposing, I noticed DS smile bitterly while see DR like "Omo, was that all just fake?". But one thing bothered me was no reaction at all comes out from DS mouth, but she kept looking at door like waiting for someone (TK?) coming in join them. Was that just for escape embracing moment/ shyness she had while JH confess or was she really waiting for TK? Oh gosh PD nim and Writer nim really good at keeping secret.

I just don't want to expect so much on TK x DS ship even though there will still a chance for our canoe to be rebuilt again into yacht, since there will be like 5% chance for the writer to twist the plot and make the future husband as JH in two episodes?

Well yeah, I (and us) will wait then.

We got Junghwan perspective in episode 18. Dont say we got to see Taek perspective in ep 19, and then for the final epiosde 20 we get deoksun perspective. 

We dont really get a clip that showing which side deoksun prefer. ( I guess most of you would think Taek)

But honestly im hoping for 어남류, and taekie would be end up with someone that not suddenly appearing without any process shown .

@packmule3 thank you for your detailed analysis of DS and Papa Kim's relationship and also the photos of crossing the line.   I am learning new things everyday.

Wow, we have really seen the pendulum swing in Taek's favour the last couple of episode.  Hints seem to point more to Taek than JH.  After all, he is the one who dated many girls and doesn't like interviews etc.  JH also seems to be closing the chapter of her first love behind and moving on.  

I don't know if anyone remember this but the earlier episode told of how the husband took a long time to stop speaking in formal speech with Noeul.  Any idea what was the manner of speech that JH spoke to Noeul when he asked him to pass the pink gloves?  Perhaps this could be yet another evidence. 

JH really shone this episode.  The momentous confession also signifies his growth in being able to open and vulnerable and show his true self to his friends even though he did backtrack to save embarrassment for all.  If he is not husband, I wish to see DS response to him just like Najung and Chilbong.  Also I would like to see Taek's confession and reaction too.  I won't be so quick to change my guess that Taek is husband for now simply because I feel that the writer and PD are geniuses when it comes to messing with our minds.  If I say Taek is hubby now, they will probably show it be otherwise.  Isn't this why some of Taek's fans are saying that they believe JH is husband and vice versa?  *lol*.  Whoever the husband may be, I am glad to say that I feel happily trolled as crew has given us a masterpiece.   My gut feel says it may still be JH but no, I am not a delusional shipper.  Just someone who watch the drama from my own experience and perspective.  I may be wrong but I hope that in the end no one judge me or disrespect me for it.  

Hello! I've been lurking in this thread since episode 1 and 1 week before the final I just couldn't keep myself away from joining the discussion in this thread ha

I'm #TeamDeoksun so I'm open to any ending as long as Deoksun makes her choice and is happy.

In my opinion Junghwan and Taek are currently on equal standing and Deoksun marrying Junghwan would make as much sense as Deoksun marrying Taek so I think it's unfair to call the writing bad or even insisting that the writers changed script last-minute.

If you're 100% sure that Junghwan is endgame then you're disregarding episode 17+18 which have shown that Deoksun is seeing Taek in a new light and that there's a possibility of those new feelings turning into a crush/love. You will have to wait for episodes 19+20 to see if Deoksun is going to act on those new feelings or not.

Likewise, if you're 100% sure that Taek is endgame you're disregarding the previous episodes that have shown Deoksun's crush on Junghwan and the possibility of Deoksun still having lingering feelings for him. You will have to wait for episodes 19+20 to see if Deoksun has truly moved on or if Junghwan's "fake" confession has ignited her love for him again.

On the bottomline I guess I'm trying to say: There's no use for both ships to fight because at the moment Deoksun's feelings are really open and both Junghwan and Taek have equal chances of "winning" Deoksun's love (blergh I don't like using the term "winning" in regards to people's feelings but I can't think of a different term). Junghwan's and Taek's feelings are important but Deoksun's feelings are just as important and all episodes up until now have shown that it's possible for Deoksun to have romantic feelings for Junghwan as well as Taek (and for Sunwoo but that train departed a long time ago :lol:).

I also really like that Deoksun/Junghwan/Taek were shown to be dating other people (or at least trying to) because, well, that's life. People move on from crushes and try meeting other people, so I like this more realistic approach from Reply 1988.

I regret joining the thread this late but I hope we can keep this thread positive and open-minded until the very end :)

On this episode they show how parents misses their child like seeing their son fall asleep and complain that the children are rarely home. being the youngest sibling in the family, i totally can relate wit this. I'm the youngest  so I usually at home compare with my brothers and. Whenever my brother said that they are coming home, my mother will tidy up our home and go to the market early in the morning despite she have not a very good condition with her leg. after my eldest bother family went back to their places, my mother usually got fever  or to tired to do something becuz of all the cooking that she made when my brother  home. When one of my brother is busy and rarely got home, she miss him and asked me to call him. We never realized it, unless we observe it that our parent is missing us.

My father also retired this year. I kinda understand  papa and mam sung worried. Finding money is somehow like a dignity or one of the job description father and mother. So thats why most of them like to work despite old age. they sometime perhaps feel a burdened if they did't. My father always complaint that he want to do something to show that he still young and not old enough

regarding the music, i like all of them and some of the song  i prefer the original compare to the remake. But I love Lee Juck and Kim Fell version, whenever i hear them i always feel something. Hope that it will be trend in korea to do these type of song, more ballad or soothing song.

I think on this series, the writer write a good character for JH and Taek. At least in this series i will happy any either of them become the husband. I will feel sad if Jung hwan if not the husband but still not like i accept if Taek bcome husband. Honestly for a period of time I did't accept Thrash oppa because he was the end game in R94.

and lastly call me delulu, i wanna believe that DS is waiting for someone else and not Taek or perhaps it just her own reflect. go #teamJunghwan

For dear fellow drama viewers who have all been watching this together... here is a hopefully humorous time line based how I understood the development of this love story...
For me, the husband endgame had been decided quite a while back... 

Feel free to disregard it, but its just for a laugh... If you want to create your own MVP list so we can compare, I would love to see it too! The interactivity of this drama is a huge point for what drew me to it... I love that we all got to discuss viewpoints, notes and even learn about scripts etc... 

How many MVPs had been created to make the current situation up to Ep18 ...

I present to you: 

MVPs of 1988 - DS x TK ver OTP [ not necessarily endgame for the end, just saying ]

Hide contents

p7j3hTw6j

Ep0: SW omma : If she didn't make that phonecall, you wouldn't even be with them now. That's right. Let your appa marry her!

p76sJ19wj

Ep4: DS Appa: Talk about creating opportunities for your daughter to spend a day with the busy Choi Taek 6 dan!! *CONCENTRAAATE*

pa0OyzQpj

Ep6: Good thing you don't only depend on other people to create opportunities... If only you remembered that you needed sleep before a date....

hlwyhwPnj

Ep7: What if your friend's own brother is against him?? Manito? Secret Santa? Gloves or mittens? Who cares? When DS just want an excuse to wait for you!

p7CMPPk4j

Ep 8 : I queued for an hour to get all of us those movie tickets, seki ya!!

padqceNFj

Ep 9 : When your own dad ALMOST DIES to help you out... you don't waste the chance!! 

parByDkoj

Ep10: When your good buddy runs away to the beach, Bora decides to abandon one of you, and Sun woo suggests to make it two.....

You have ALOT OF FUN !! That's what...

pbRSHFjOj

Ep11: when your future omma sends you your secret love, please don't elbow her again just to keep her by your side... 

p3PgQwoKj

Ep12: This is how you turn lemons into lemonade... You lose some....you gain ALOT....

p3lKDS50j

Ep12: Your buddy has free tickets for pork cutlet, you make sure you win your match quickly to go .... yes...for cutlets... what else would you go for?

paMVFsBDj

Ep12: Make sure you are around to protect the girl you love, its ok, you can totally pretend you just needed a smoke....

hlpg2rjdj

Ep13: Thank Bora for driving her to study in your house... Now go, enjoy breakfast...

pbIeYPzxj

Ep13: Give her the BEST FREE THING from your tournament. But next time, please let her know what it is.

p34JauE1j

Ep14: Call on her, with everyone's favourite fruit!  ( viv, hafu.... stop it...what are you thinking right now...)

hl8DVz99j

Ep14: DR points your girl in the right direction... Yes DS...WHO DO YOOOOU LIKE??

p3Ro10N9j

Ep14: Invite her back to your room..... TO TALK....TALK.... about very...very...serious stuff...

pbEii1fgj

Ep16: Ask her out for a date, but CANCEL. So you can start to drive her crazy.... YUP... that's the way... 

p5Mx5Kkmj

Ep17: The universe has worked very very hard to create this chance.... Not to mention your buddy has to suffer with garlic... 

pbra8HoDj

Ep 17: You need the theory..... but you need to practice too.... 

p3OG7IC0j

Ep18: When a jerk appears by your girl, you THROW your game and just RUUUUUN TO HER.... Good job Taekie!!

CONCLUSION: YOU HAVE HAD A LOT OF HELP FROM EVERYONE AROUND YOU TAEK AH.... BUT GOOD THING YOU DID ALOT OF THESE WORK YOURSELF TOO!! 

Now just make sure DR gets to live comfortably for the rest of his life. YOU OWE HIM.

p7kId18cg

First post here, hello everyone!
Mmm my idea about DK's expressions during JH's confession is that 

Spoiler

she already knew about him loving her, after opening JH's wallet back then before giving it back to him, and that she was just waiting for him to confess. When she was listening to his words she was like "Finally you said that, dude". To me she didn't look very surprised or embarassed, like she did already know. Only suppositions, ofc.

Can't wait for next episode!!!

What will happen if JH never smoke ?

I hate cigarette !! That's not good for your health :)

We can say this drama troll us, we beg for flashback, DS POV, even being delusional just to show others that we are right!

That's fine for me, cos what? We still have 2 more episode mean we still have HOPE !

But, what will happe when we hit 20 ? Whether you want, anngry, cry or celebrates, I hope an Ice cream can heal me.

PS : DR, I thought you are ancestor, counselor I thought you can read JH feeling to DS ? What a surprise episode !

11 minutes ago, littleflowersjj said:

First post here, hello everyone!
Mmm my idea about DK's expressions during JW's confession is that 

Reveal hidden contents

she already knew about him loving her, after opening JW's wallet back then before giving it back to him, and that she was just waiting for him to confess. When she was listening to his words she was like "Finally you said that, dude". To me she didn't look very surprised or embarassed, like she did already know. Only suppositions, ofc.

Can't wait for next episode!!!

Omg! This actually the thing that always bugging me too lol

Spoiler

We never see JH open his wallet after TK opened it, and what if DS saw that photo too and took it? Is the photo still there or not?

15 hours ago, st4rdust said:

For dear fellow drama viewers who have all been watching this together... here is a hopefully humorous time line based how I understood the development of this love story...

Feel free to disregard it, but its just for a laugh... If you want to create your own MVP list so we can compare, I would love to see it too! The interactivity of this drama is a huge point for what drew me to it... I love that we all got to discuss viewpoints, notes and even learn about scripts etc... 

I present to you: 

MVPs of 1988 - DS x TK ver OTP [ not necessarily endgame for the end, just saying ]

CONCLUSION: YOU HAVE HAD A LOT OF HELP FROM EVERYONE AROUND YOU TAEK AH.... BUT GOOD THING YOU DID ALOT OF THESE WORK YOURSELF TOO!! 

Now just make sure DR gets to live comfortably for the rest of his life. YOU OWE HIM.

I'm excited for the last 2 episodes. But i will be away and wont be able to watch it live and maybe wont be able to join the live recap. I'll drop by occasionally to get updates from you guys here. Huhuhu. 

Thank you for this! Fun read! Now if DR suddenly swoops in and take DS, that would be a twist. #DR-DSship kekeke

I'm excited for the last 2 eps too. But i wont be around to join the live recaps. Huhuhu

Some R1988 related news:

Yoo Yeon Suk Talks About His Visit to the “Reply 1988″ Set

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/09/yoo-yeon-suk-talks-about-his-visit-to-the-reply-1988-set/

-

Ryu Jun Yeol Shares Photo of Cast Nearing End of “Reply 1988″

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/09/ryu-jun-yeol-shares-photo-of-cast-nearing-end-of-reply-1988/

-

“Reply 1988″ Production Team Considers Legal Action Against Those Who Leak Spoilers

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/09/reply-1988-production-team-considers-legal-action-against-those-who-leak-spoilers/

That's probably in reference to DS and JH's future jobs.

15 hours ago, st4rdust said:

I present to you: 

Wow!! I like this!!

What made me shock is the beach scene. When the gang left DS and TK at the beach I was like Aiya!!!! How could JH left his girl with another man in such a romantic place!!!

Archived