Quantcast
czakhareina

[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

hellooo guys thanks for the recap, i might seems new here but its been awhile since i becoming a silent lurker in this thread. and this is my second post

after a long weeks without this drama seems a lot of us get crazy and crazier plus this week episode still cannot fulfill our #1988dose kekekekeke, i need to knowww the husband!!! kekekee but yes i agree though i'm not watching AM1994, because i'm a hardcore fans of AM1997 i thought it's just another recycle stories but in the end i give it go to this reply's series, yes AM1988 for me is so mucch better than AM1997 in terms of everything, casts, ost, sets, stories, details, and of course trolls!! kekeke witnessing how so many people feels frustrated and happy at the same time proving how brilliant the writers is! standing applause for everyone! see? that's how much we invest for this drama. the only drama who can reveal every character layer by layer and never missed out any one of them, even DR, no offense but if he on another drama probably the writer would never written a good episode and story solely for him. the episode of him searching for love and attention from his parent especially his mother is beautiful and also probably that's why we never expect that he's the one to be the 'wise' man in the group despite the goofiness. soo for me the best thing about this series is writer do think very deeply for creating the story and character beyond our rational and expectation.

again, no offense, i don't know which one of the delusional here the one who keep in faith to the writer and play along with the stories (yes we can't avoid for being a shipper) OR the one who keep blaming for the writer because THEY feel cheated because the stories is unlikely like THEY wanted to be then making up stories like is the writer hating JH character or it because PBG raising popularity and blablabla come one please, but then again probably that's the reaction how the writer-nim wanted (again, brilliant!) just enjoy the story guysss, chillaxxx. this guys is a proo. Probably this is the only drama in each episode i can laugh then cry and then laugh again, so emotional. so please chinggudul, just believe the PD and the writer-nim, for any shipper you guys rooting for. i'm saying this basically because see many people complaining to the writer but how did they know the writer change the script or whatsoever just because it not gone with the way you wanted to be, idc which one of your ship on but please respect the writer who probably wrote this script and character building for we don't know how long.

putting under a spoiler because its sensitive matter. joke. teehee

Spoiler

okay so i'm not saying i'm TK/DS or JH/DS shipper because sometime i do agree with both of analysis (you guys daebak) BUT like many of you here at first when SW/DS starting i'm rooting for JH and then i gradually having feeling for TK, feeling anxious with 50:50 possibility every new episode came out. the brilliant is how the writer create TK character who looks like a normal nerd but actually he is a ninja, no one ever expect he came to attack (sorry JH) but its the truth. and how they create JH character who looks like a ninja when he actually just a thinker, you know what i'm saying? (and again sorry if i'm offending any of you) FRANKLY i thought TK character would be the gay one because its reply series signature hehehe i never knew he is the strong contender in the end. but little by little they reveal how strong the TK character and also for me they also reveal how weak of JH character is little by little, we don't even notice. and again with somebody had pointing out TK was there all along, i'm just too blind to see (JH is bae tbh) and these past episodes for me is the peak of husband hunting game or doukson hunting game, JH know clearly know what's inside DS head all along even way back when they still in highschool, that's why he trying to end this game in very manly way (my heart ache when see the scene) for me the reason why he confessed is because he wanted to say things he never have a chance to say to DS. that's it. for me he never expecting DS to take his confession, he just saying to let go everything he had in the chest. the little smile on JH face at the end saying i knew its TK all along but its good to know now that you know my feeling. and again doesn't mean TK is the husband (never put expectation too high) but i believe the husband chances is weighing on TK we never know what the futures hold. but if TK is the husband anyway it does make sense, DS/TK are care for each other (if anyone of you still don't see it please watch this entire episode again, maybe you miss out something) from eps 1-18 they still care for each other, eye can't lie and if JH is the husband it also make sense, in normal k-drama if somebody used to like each other they will like each other eventually, they just need a chance to confess for each other. but again reply series never been normal and also JH already confessed so we just need to see DS's actual respond (if there any). so peeps, lets wait for another week, i know its haarrrdd, but please enjoy the show, don't take it too personal! peace

that's it for my long long post, it's been a while since i wrote something in soompi's forum, nice to see you all!

• Like 18

40 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

On Future Husband, Ep 9. 

I wonder did something happened there? He owes her delicious food, at the very least.

Excellent as always.

"I'll be resting in my room with my friend. DukSeon, Let's go upstairs" 

Now that is the flashback I want to see.

Can I just say I love to hear Taek say "DukSeonaah"

I just realized that episode 9 is when papa and son Choi staked their claims on their women by having the women take care of them.

• Like 22

@packmule3 Always love your analysis, thank you! You catch so much things I would oversee.

I just have few minor thoughts where I think there might have been a misunderstanding due to the misleading translation.

When DS says "he must have liked me since then" it might sound weird, like she is talking about somebody else, but she is actually talking about her husband, not an ex-flame. She is saying it to the interviewer in formal speech.

And in the last picture, when TK's father asks "did you buy her a lot of delicious food?", actually he could also be asking if DS bought him a lot of delicious food, it's not obvious. But from the context I thought he meant if she bought him delicious food.

Whatever, it's not that important and as I said I love your interpretations ^^

• Like 11

Here's my opinion:

For Taek to be the husband we need a scene where he get to know about the postcard Duksun sent for Sunwoo

For Jungpal to be the husband we need a scene where he's smoking

I notice a different between JH-DS and TK-DS bickering dynamic, when DS bicker with JH, both of them keep yelling to each other until others quiet them. but when TK-DS bicker, Taek always shuts up after DS hits him (when he says bora must be DS in her past life). I think the 2015 bickering dynamic is closer to TK-DS. It's just my opinion though, correct me if i get the facts wrong.

Been enjoying reading all the fans' theories here, nice to meet you all!

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, haesi said:

@packmule3 Always love your analysis, thank you! You catch so much things I would oversee.

I just have few minor thoughts where I think there might have been a misunderstanding due to the misleading translation.

When DS says "he must have liked me since then" it might sound weird, like she is talking about somebody else, but she is actually talking about her husband, not an ex-flame. She is saying it to the interviewer in formal speech.

And in the last picture, when TK's father asks "did you buy her a lot of delicious food?", actually he could also be asking if DS bought him a lot of delicious food, it's not obvious. But from the context I thought he meant if she bought him delicious food.

Whatever, it's not that important and as I said I love your interpretations ^^

Are you a native Korean speaker? I'll need your help translating some lines for me for a post I'm prepping. PM me please. Thanks. 

Alliterative p's not intended. lol

• Like 8

When you post your commentaries a lot of shippers specially from TK/DS want rewatch it... For someone amateur like me I keep on learning new things from you..Thank you ^^

@packmule3 Now that you mention it, I'm also wondering what would it be...hihihihihi!!!! ^___^

• Like 8

The future husband loves the comic books... At the beginning of episode four, Jungpal is reading a comic book while cutting the bus tickets.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Trysiani Vania said:

But the narration Junghwan gives in the concert scene about how cruel fate is feels like the one Chilbong said when Najung meet Trash on the elevator, on R1994 episode 19

Actually i remember that trash oppa who give similiar narration like JH about fate and timing. so my curiosity bring me back to dramabeans recap on reply 1994 ep 19 and i found that is not only chilbong and trash oppa who give some narration about fate and timing. Najung give some narration too. here they are...

Spoiler

Garbage: Fate is damned. Fate is cruel. And Fate… is strong. Fate throws us into dilemmas, traps us in corners where we can’t do a thing, and in the bitter end, even ignores our sincere prayers. That’s how Fate is damned. That’s how Fate is cruel and strong.

Chilbongie: Another reason why Fate is cruel and strong: timing you can’t predict. This is how Fate is cruel.

Na-jung: Fate pushes me to the edge of a cliff, makes it so that I can’t budge, and in the end passes me the ball. In the end Fate is choosing. Now I just have to make a choice.

• Like 6

Just watched ep 18 with Chinese subs, and here are my thoughts.

When JH showed up at the concert just seconds too late, he first blamed fate or timing as he called it. Later, when the radio reported that Taek had forfeited his game for the concert, JH realised that it wasn't fate or the red lights that worked against him -- it was himself. He should have gathered his courage earlier and created those fateful opportunities without hesitation. 

The funny thing is, if only JH went straight to the concert hall right after spotting the guy at the movies, he would've reached before Taek. Yet, right till the end, he hesitated and it was this indecision that ruined his chances.

Every time the door rang, DS turned to see if it was Taek (who else could she be waiting for?). JH noticed, and he knew his confession wouldn't change anything, but he chose to confess anyway because he needed closure for his first love. The ring was for DS, and the fact that he left the ring on the table meant that he was ready to put his feelings behind him. 

I think DS was deliberately sat facing away from the door, to make it obvious that every time the bell rang, she would turn her head. Didn't this remind you of the scene at Banjul, where JB looked up every time the door bell rang? They were both waiting for someone they love.

It was heartbreaking to watch JH finally pick up his courage and confess when he knew it was too late. That was so unlike the usual k-dramas where first love always worked out. And it was heartbreaking precisely because we've all experienced our fair share of regrets and rejections. Just because you loved first/harder doesn't entitle you to the person's heart. 

Now we'll have to wait another week for the final two episodes, where JH and Taek need to resolve their issues, and DS would finally make her choice. Good luck to all shippers!

• Like 20

started to like him, I'm not #teamtaek or #teamjunghwan I just a fans of Reply 1988 whoever the husband, still enjoy the drama, bcz actually I like both of them to be future husband. LOL

I'm glad if there will no more Chilbong... :) bcz I already happy with the heartwarming story :) fighting for you guys who do the analyze!!

fighting!!

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, jesse how said:

Just watched ep 18 with Chinese subs, and here are my thoughts.

When JH showed up at the concert just seconds too late, he first blamed fate or timing as he called it. Later, when the radio reported that Taek had forfeited his game for the concert, JH realised that it wasn't fate or the red lights that worked against him -- it was himself. He should have gathered his courage earlier and created those fateful opportunities without hesitation. 

The funny thing is, if only JH went straight to the concert hall right after spotting the guy at the movies, he would've reached before Taek. Yet, right till the end, he hesitated and it was this indecision that ruined his chances.

Every time the door rang, DS turned to see if it was Taek (who else could she be waiting for?). JH noticed, and he knew his confession wouldn't change anything, but he chose to confess anyway because he needed closure for his first love. The ring was for DS, and the fact that he left the ring on the table meant that he was ready to put his feelings behind him. 

I think DS was deliberately sat facing away from the door, to make it obvious that every time the bell rang, she would turn her head. Didn't this remind you of the scene at Banjul, where JB looked up every time the door bell rang? They were both waiting for someone they love.

It was heartbreaking to watch JH finally pick up his courage and confess when he knew it was too late. That was so unlike the usual k-dramas where first love always worked out. And it was heartbreaking precisely because we've all experienced our fair share of regrets and rejections. Just because you loved first/harder doesn't entitle you to the person's heart. 

Now we'll have to wait another week for the final two episodes, where JH and Taek need to resolve their issues, and DS would finally make her choice. Good luck to all shippers!

Thanks for sharing. May I ask you a question? 

What do you think of the tied shoelaces of TK? How did he tie them? Double-knotted? Single-knotted? Triple-knotted (lol)  

In Asian culture, are there any superstitions associated with shoelaces? 

By the way, anybody can share her opinion.  Thanks. 

• Like 5

Slide1_5.jpg

Do you guys remember her? 

My prediction is that she'll show up in the future, otherwise that'll be such a waste of a good actress. Deoksun even asked her in one scene what she plans for her future. She's a great character and although my expectations are low it would be amazing if the scriptwriter utilizes not only uses her uniqueness, friendship with ds but also the audience's familiarity with her character as the potential wife for Junghwan or Taek (dont hate me, this is just a prediction from someone who makes plot twists in her head most of the time) 

Remember how everyone got pissed because they just threw chilbong in with some random girl that reminded him of ds?  i think it's best to avoid repeating that in 88'. lol. I don't know, for me, i think it's such a waste if she just disappeared from the series after creating such a great background story and friendship with the female lead. Keeping my fingers crossed she'd end up with any of the male characters or be a significant part of the future plot.  i'd like to see her again.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Abim Syazili said:

[...]

The family. The friendship. These two are way more precious than the Husband hunt. I've said it to my roomates, I nearly cried when I saw how happy Mrs. Sung was when she got a new gas stove, even that scene is not a sad one but I couldn't believe that simple thing made her smile widely and all excited. It's as an obvious mark how hard her life was.

Or when she attempted to get a loan from Mrs. Cheetah but in the end her self-consciousness won over her, she knew that she didn't repay her previous loan before. This scene broke my heart so much. I can't imagine my mom in that situation. There are so many heart-touching scenes that showed how parents love their children and put them on the top of their list more than anything else.

[...]

Don't tell me that you guys forget how it feels. How your mood lifted up when you saw the OT5 together, how loud your laugh was when they did some ridiculous things, even how funny their parents were when they gathered, or how THEIR STORY may inspire you in real life.

But somehow the husband hunt is the only thing in our head right now, as if we forget that we have seen so many good episodes before this. Who are you to judge the writer nim? Who are you to throw such rude words over her? Please do return all your mirth from her if you still bash her that way and still blinded with the husband hunt. You can be sad with the plot, you are allowed to feel unfair or disappointed but saying some curses are crossing the line. Even the drama is not over yet.

We should be thankful guys. There are two more episodes, hope we can take it with maturity, and respect her effort.

Sorry for the long post.

Totally agree with your post!

I can understand being disappointed because your ship doesn't become reality but this drama has shown time and time again that it's more than just a husband-hunt. After episode 20 Deoksun will have chosen between Junghwan and Taek and whatever that choice will be I hope shippers can look past their disappointment and still remember Reply 1988 for the heart-warming and sometimes heart-breaking family and friendship moments. Those moments are really what makes Reply 1988 such a lovely drama; the lovelines are just a nice bonus for me :D

I also made the mistake of going outside this thread and reading comments at NB and KJ and I honestly can't believe how many people seem to think that the writers changed the script?

We're talking about the Reply team. The team that always carefully picks their BGM to make the lyrics relate to the situation, the team that made up all these colour/dolls theories, the team that puts a flashback inside a flashback because they already planned those happenings a long time ago. This team is made up of perfectionists, you really think they'd throw away their carefully planned scripts for some last-minute changes? Really?

Maybe I'm overreacting but those "they changed the script" accusations really offend me, as if I'm the writer herself :lol:

Edited by otomame
  • Like 17

Addicted--I need to get back to my life. Classes start tomorrow and I'm refreshing this forum instead proofing my syllabi. Yikes.

First love.  The obsession of k-dramas.  Maybe it is because Korea is a physically small country that they figure people meet everyone who will be significant in their lives by the time they are ten.  I have no idea where ANY of my elementary school friends are so I suppose I'll never marry.  ah well.

First love. DS might be JH first love but I'm not convinced that he is the one to love her first--which really doesn't matter; what matters is who DS loves last.

If Papa Choi is correct and Taek shows is affection by allowing the one he is particular about do for him by being clingy, then . . . 

If we go back to Ep 2 when Taek broke his arm all his little friends helped out.

DR (I think took his lunch bag)

The next/perhaps JH took his book bag

The second/maybe SW left him chip/toys

and DS carried him on her back.  WHY?  

He hurt his arm.  Taek doesn't walk on all fours so why did DS carry him on her back.

If he really couldn't walk, the boys would have figured some way to help.

As it is, since Taek hurt his arm and the boys offered practial help. two relieved him from having to carry anything and one gave his a gift to cheer him up.

DS did something totally unnecessary.  She carried a boy with two good legs on her back. 

She over nurtured him. Why? Because Taek wanted her to. He liked her so he was clingly and needy so she would stay by his side and take care of him.

My hypothese is that Taek liked had a special connection to DS from the moment he met her. DS was connected in a special way from the moment she met Taek--what kind of connection it is hard to say until we see DS relationships from her perspective. But their connection has always been special and different than her connection to the other boys and the transform over time into romanctic love. That is not to say it had to transform into romantic love or that over time she couldn't have developed and different kind of special relationship with any of the other boys or some man we have never met, but it doesn't seem that is what happened.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Observe what the Future Husband did after he got bitten by DS? See it? He covered it, too. Unlike JH. Like TY. He was holding it because it was painful

maybe you missed one thing, observe again what future husband did when he got beating becoz he read her diary on Ep 2. He shrugged off her hard punches too...

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Thanks for sharing. May I ask you a question? 

What do you think of the tied shoelaces of TK? How did he tie them? Double-knotted? Single-knotted? Triple-knotted (lol)  

In Asian culture, are there any superstitions associated with shoelaces? 

By the way, anybody can share her opinion.  Thanks. 

As far as I know, Taek doesn't know how to tie shoelaces. DS mentioned it too in ep 18. Why then does he insist on wearing shoes with laces baffles me. In ep 17, JH was surprised how well Taek's laces were tied. Taek replied that those laces were tied by JH in ep 15. He wouldn't know how to tie them again if they came apart, so he tied an extra knot to secure them. 

I don't know of any superstition in Asian culture regarding shoelaces, at least not where I'm from. I thought the shoelaces were metaphorical of Taek and JH's friendship. Taek was afraid that by confessing to DS, their friendship would fall apart, so he tried to secure it using his own method. And it also showed how precious this friendship meant to him. 

Edited by jesse how
  • Like 17

19 minutes ago, jesse how said:

As far as I know, Taek doesn't know how to tie shoelaces. DS mentioned it too in ep 18. Why then does he insist on wearing shoes with laces baffles me. In ep 17, JH was surprised how well Taek's laces were tied. Taek replied that those laces were tied by JH in ep 15. He wouldn't know how to tie them again if they came apart, so he tied an extra knot to secure them. 

I don't know of any superstition in Asian culture regarding shoelaces, at least not where I'm from. I thought the shoelaces were metaphorical of Taek and JH's friendship. Taek was afraid that by confessing to DS, their friendship would fall apart, so he tried to secure it using his own method. And it also showed how precious this friendship meant to him. 

Thanks!

So those are his actual words, the ones I highlighted? Interesting. What was his own method? Glue? Or a special knot?  

And the show's title was Irony, right? Irony, part 2.

Yes, it could be a metaphor of their friendship. Or his strategy, his next move. The simple friendship metaphor would have been acceptable to ME but we are talking about a baduk player here. Tying his shoelaces tightly could mean that he's on guard from now on.

You see, in the literary world, a Judas kiss is an act of betrayal that is the most painful because it's done by your closest friend. In this kdrama, there was no Judas kiss but there is an equivalent: the tying of the shoe. It was done as a service or gesture of friendship or gratitude because TK called the doctor for his friend's father and because TK was too tired to notice. 

The knowledge that his friend had all along been in love with the same girl AND had kept in secret from him would have blindsided and devastated him. 

So, yes, shoelaces could be seen as a metaphor for friendship, clean and simple. But it could also mean something else, something more refined, hidden, not so obvious. But it depends really on how this scriptwriter wants to treat the subject.  So far, I haven't seen heard anything that triggered my warning bells.

• Like 12

Are you sure that's not a brand-name jacket label that the person tweeted @lamyaalg89?

DHOLE_MAN_15WMPMJCKMX03_555_3.jpgScreen_Shot_2016_01_10_at_12_31_04_PM.pn

to me the logo that's on the bottom two of that twitter image belongs to this brand, no? http://www.parajumpers.it/en/pjs-man/jacket.html (wow they're quite expensive). hmm but the model above is sort of similar with the one hubby is wearing...  (minus the orange snap hook which is removable). could be wrong though... 

• Like 20