[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

28 minutes ago, minyeonhan said:

He's definitely not afraid of competing with Taek. he has a weak heart for good men, that's why he wished for taek to be a jerk so he can properly showed his feeling for deoksun. Taek is a precious bestfriend for him, and if you noticed, when they were just a boy, the one who approached Taek first was Junghwan. and yeah you're right, his hesitation makes me frustated too.

Of course he wished that,if Taek was a jerk he woldn't be sorry and wouldn't hesitate that much and maybe be more into making a move on DS yet he couldn't(and most likely give her the ring at the end of highschool along with confessing) as we saw from all this time that JungHwan puts everyone's feelings before his,just like all his life he had those different dreams that weren't really deep down his but his brother's,and yet he choose to acomplish them for his Hyung,when he believed Sunwoo liked DS he stand aside and was ready to wish them luck watching them  from the side even if his heart crushed rather than risking to destroy his friendship with Sunwoo or change the group dinamics that he so much values,as well again when he found out Taek liked DS,he pushed DS aside as not to hurt Taek and their friendship when he hinted more likely on DS intrest...I think it's really,really rare this days to find a person like Junghwan,who will choose to pass off an oportunity,a jacket let's say to a dear one if he knows that the person will be happy,giving the last peace of food to other even if he desires the most(a lame ex. i know)many people might not understand this type of person,what he is lacking is being selfish...Of course Junghwan like all the other characters in this word that the writer created has flaws and he is frustraiting and sadly didn't have the courage and now in the timeline regrets it badly but deep down i think he'll do thinks the same again if he had as his personality till then as like that but i guess the charm and making him feel more real...

Just like if we think Taek as well,when he realized Junghwan feelings he choose to cancel his date and confession with DS that day as he valued Junghwan feelings and friendship...yet again one can't run away all their life and i guess some make their own timing or go for it,that doesn't make for ex. Taek a bad friend just different personality for ex. as he didn't do anything bad to JH let's say...What i feel is that they should have brought by themselves the subject rather than opting for their silence yet again in the end both guys were sweyed by their feelings and made the coresponding actions in the present timeline,as their feelings were bigger than other things in the spur of moment and heart talked for them rather than the brain...As we clearly saw both men,especially JungHwan journey to the concert hall while Taek canceled a official game to go to DS and the concert

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you're telling me that Deok Sun finally showing some sign of feelings for Taek on her own is just going to get left behind in the last two episodes...? We saw Deok Sun get flustered when Taek leaned his head on her shoulder in episode 12. Then we saw her hide her burp from Taek. Then we saw her anxiously wait for Taek's phone call. Then we saw her contemplating the reasons why Taek cancelled, clearly sad. Then we saw her thinking about Taek carrying her, not being able to sleep. Then we got a kiss.A "dream" kiss that was placed ther e out of "randomness" which is somehow relevant to the story.- We've got to remember that tv shows only show the important scenes of the characters' lives. They wouldn't write about a random dream that meant nothing. I believe that it's going to play a part in the next two episodes. This week, in episode 18, we saw her waiting for Taek, looking at the door every time someone went in. We don't know why she's waiting, but she was waiting. You're telling me, we got all these scenes about Deok Sun's feelings and it's just going to all be forgotten in the next two episodes because of a random twist? I don't think so...Episode 18 was focused on Junghwan letting go of Deok Sun once and for all. In a way, confessing to the person you like, is how you will be able to move on. Junghwan did that and he was finally able to give up. It was closure for his love line with Deok Sun. He even got an ost titled "forget you". 
I don't want anyone to quote me on this. It's going to be negative and I won't look at it if you do. It's just my opinion and no one has the right to say it's wrong. The drama is for entertainment, and I'm free to give my opinion. You may disagree and that's great because you have your own thoughts, but I just wanted to share MY thoughts.

9 hours ago, fnkrm said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mama Kim is looking at the calendar furiously.

Is this a prediction that JH and JB are going to have a dongsaeng soon?

I thought it appeared more like she was having menopause. All the hot flushes, such as leaving the door open when it was so cold, and taking off her coat when the others were cold. So if you link that date to her period, then it makes sense.

I'm just gonna go and comment about this last episode because it's really driving me crazy and I need to vent so sorry for the long post in advance. 

Aside from that confession scene, which I'm gonna talk about later, I am feeling so many things right now towards the righter and PD. I'm team Junghwan BUT this is the only reply series that I would totally be fine with any husband IF they didn't show any future scenes in the earlier episode. Throughout the episodes I could see the husband being either Taek or Junghwan and it would have totally made sense. However, the way they added the future scenes made the husband completely obvious. We're talking about two COMPLETELY opposite people. I don't know if what they said that they told Kim Joo Hyuk to act however he wanted to be true, but that would be their mistake. Throughout his scenes he gave off complete junghwan vibes and the only thing that threw us off was habits or scenarios that can be easily proved differently. Like the smoking, Junghwan could have started smoking at the start or maybe he did it secretly etc. The thing that is hard to change though is the personality and I never got Taek vibes from Kim Joohyuk not even 1% until the recent scene. Like what knetz said. He did a complete 360 after that one week break. If they did decide for Taek to be the husband and omitted the future scenes, being a Junghwan fan, I can see the Taek-Deoksun route making total sense, especially with what's been happening in the last two episodes. Compared to the last two girls in the reply series, Deoksun's feelings to us are really ambiguous. However, they gave us the future episodes earlier and if they did make Taek the husband, I feel like it's extremely sloppy of the writer's and pd's part. And before anyone here is even thinking of getting mad at my statement, this is my honest critique being a fan of the reply series. I'm not hating just because my ship doesn't look like endgame. I'm okay with their trolling , but no to the extent that it makes the story messy. Anyway if they do decide to make Junghwan endgame, I could still see him being the husband looking at this future scene. Why? because if you go back to previous episodes, Junghwan also acts similarly with people he doesn't really know. EX. The second and first time he met Deoksun's friends. He was really shy, nice and respectful to them. Also, we still haven't seen Deoksun's entire feelings regarding who she likes so it can still go either way. 

Well that's the end of my overall rant. As for that "fake" confession scene I was literally feeling a lot of things. When Junghwan pulled out his ring I was like CRAP richard simmons's about to go down. then he started saying his confession and I just swooned. Then SW and DR started talking at the side and I wanted to laugh. AND THEN HE SAID IT WAS A LIE. I just stopped breathing for a second. DR was confused, but SW caught on ( I'm not sure if they actually believed him that it was a lie or if they caught on that he wanted them to make it seem like a lie so there's no awkwardness). Then I was so perplexed at Deoksun's (lack of. LIKE WOMAN GIVE ME SOMETHING) facial expression. Then she looks at the door again and JUnghwan sees this. My heart just broke entirely for him. I swear Ryu Jun Yeol is a gem. He is such a great actor for making me feel this way. He deserves all the praise. Actually all the cast deserves the praise. Two more episodes let's see where the PD and writer take us at the end of this long ride. 

I will die once a preview comes out. I can't believe just a week to go then it's all over. The power of the pen man, the power of the pen. Look at how we have all become so invested in the lives, relationships, and loves of fictional Korean characters all coming out the ink of one woman's mind and a slew of PDs and other team members that bring it to life. Oh Reply team *applauds* I don't know how they manage to do it time after time. 

I think all of us are being poisoned after watching reply 1988 I have been going to shipper thread and sometimes here. Thanks to the ones who upload and do the subs for JH confession. It was really beautiful throughout the whole confession even though it is a joke.. but I can feel his sincerity when he express himself in front of DS. It is cinematic!!

With the Eng sub, I cried again.. how could JH manage to bottle up his feelings deeply inside for freaking 5 or 6 years without expressing himself freely. 

Looking at DS's expression, she was caught in surprise and feeling sad at the same time..when JH looked at her longingly and said I love you,(GOSH, that part hits me real hard !!!)

Would DS really believe it is a joke.. , the answer is with her now..

ps: I feel sad when netizen says Hyeri couldn't act well as a young adult but only during high school days. I hope they can give her more time because she is still fairly new consider that this is the first time she acted as a female main lead.

I love you.. JH ssi..aka Ryu Jun Yeol..

sstPprs.jpg

cr:N123

1 hour ago, scout said:

Thanks for that link. That post summarizes the progression of their relationship perfectly and gives me a greater appreciation for the writer (and everyone else involved in the making of the drama).

Subtle things that I didn't notice before like Deokseon's refusal to piggyback Taek because she might be perceived as being heavy, and Deokseon hiding her burp from Taek are very revealing of her feelings for Taek.

So far what I'm getting in the future scene: 

- There's a cat and dog portrait behind DS, (the camera also zooms in closer for the viewers)

- Above the portrait there's a 100 digit looking poster with a ruby on it (the ring) [this is purposely blurred] 

- The badge on the Husband's jacket (need some clarifying on that on whether it's just a brand or an airforce badge) 

- JH from past episodes has shown he is reserved but is also polite when meeting strangers 

After years being separate I really do believe DS has finally chosen who she loves on her own within that time gap  (with the help of DR's advice). Once DR gave her that advice she pretty much focused on her life aside from love, and everything was reset back to square one.  

Previously future DS has mentioned that she was crazy in choosing her husband

-  It would be awesome if DS is the one who picks up the ring after JH momentarily decides to finally give up, and maybe does a crazy confession - I wouldn't mind if JH had a slap on the face haha. I also hope in the future episodes they show why DS wanted to become a flight attendant. 

However if they decide that Taek is the husband, I wouldn't get disappointed - you just can't hate Taek he is a good guy :)

3 hours ago, kaqueski said:

Yep RHY seems to have a tribute post for every character in Reply 1988 :( so far she posted her picture with everyone in her family, DS's two friends, Jinjoo, and Miran.. I'm hoping her last saranghe tag will be with GKP (Sunwoo) hehehehhehehehe :blush:

I hove she will write saranghaeyo kyungpyo instead of sunwoo...lalalalalalala :wub:

Just read all the translated netizen comments, a lot of people seem to think that  the script has been rewritten and Taek is now the husband. I am still confident that it's Jung Hwan. What's has been happening in the last two episodes reminds me of what they did in AM94. Same thing, in the last few episodes all the attention was on Chilbong and for that few episodes I was mislead to think that he actually a real chance with Na Jung. But there was no curveball, she still married Trash. I feel that the screenwriter is doing the same here. We are led to believe that Jung Hwan chances are gone, but I won't fall for the same trick twice.

Someone asked what did the adult DS and husband talked about in low whispers. From the Chinese subs, she was asking him whether he was reading those strange comic books again. She told him to stop reading this because this was bad for his image.

Did Taek or JH read comics? I only remember JH reading novels last time. Does anyone have a clue about this information?

As expected from the comments from both knetizens and Inetizens, they're calling JH's character pathetic and then blaming the writer, telling the show has gone insane or 360 or somewhat. 

It's honestly so disappointing to see that many people that view the show as solely a husband hunt and a shipping guess. With no consideration for DS's feelings at all. All they talked about was how the show changed, with no little thought that they grew up. Not one had talked about DS's maturity, that realistically, how can you still like someone you had a crush on 5-6 years ago? even after graduating college and getting a job. Whoever the husband is, i feel sad that people are focusing just at that. Le sigh.

9 minutes ago, glassextreme said:

Someone asked what did the adult DS and husband talked about in low whispers. From the Chinese subs, she was asking him whether he was reading those strange comic books again. She told him to stop reading this because this was bad for his image.

Did Taek or JH read comics? I only remember JH reading novels last time. Does anyone have a clue about this information?

both characters read manhwas, oH gets the shot of him reading at the desk. Taek borrows Manhwas from ds. 

4 hours ago, eylrx said:

Can anyone translate what Jung bong was writing on the computer screen .. Is that when he reconnected with MO.. Wondered what they were saying

First scene:

JB is chatting in a chatroom with multiple users. JB's screen name is James Bond. The other users include Little Mermaid, Nero Wolfe, Maggie's Memory, and Lynch Bob.

They're playing an associated word game. JB lists a word, and the other users list a word that they think of when they hear that word. The first words that JB throw out are rubber and mute.

Lynch Bob replies "Gloves."  (Hence, rubber gloves and mute gloves. Note: Koreans call mittens "mute gloves".)

JB replies that "gloves" is the word he was thinking of as well. So that's a match.

For the second round, JB throws out the word "space travel."

Little Mermaid answers "Apollo 13." Nero Wolfe answers "Sputnik." Lynch Bob answers "Star Wars."

And finally, Maggie's Memory answers... "Blue Marble."

Upon seeing this, JB reacts shocked because of course, Blue Marble was the associated term he was thinking of.

Second scene (another day):

Same game. Same users.

JB throws out the word Robert De Niro.

Nero Wolfe answers "Godfather."

JB throws out the word "Donald Sutherland." "Kurt Russell."

Lynch Bob answers "Backdraft." JB answers correct, that's the answer he was thinking of. (Robert De Niro, Donald Sutherland, and Kurt Russell all starred in the movie Backdraft.)

JB gets up the nerve and throws out the words:

Jongro.

Sunday 5PM

Maggie's Memory answers: 2nd Floor, not 1st

At this JB shoots up from his chair and grabs his heart.

Side Note: Lynch Bob was the screen name of novelist Kim Tae Yong. (Source: http://www.cine21.com/news/view/mag_id/82405)

Guest rhymekokiri

is there any rules for pilots in korea that they cant smoke or something? bcs if they cant then the husband is not junghwan? lmao sorry for my stupid observation :^

Taking a moment away from the husband-hunting fiasco... I can't remember the last time a drama had me literally screaming in my seat while watching it. At this point I'd honestly be happy with whoever ends up as DS' husband. I really love Junghwan and all his tsundere-ness and I'd be glad to see him get the girl. I absolutely adore Taek and if he gets DS, I'd be jumping for joy as well. And I honestly hope they show how DS fell in love with and chose whoever she ends up with. It's gonna be a great life lesson in love either way.

All I can say is I had a crazy lot of fun watching the show and massive props to the producers for the amazing attention to detail, music and everything else!! I discovered Ryu Junyeol + Park Bogum (have been catching up slowly on their filmography) and seriously enjoyed the camaraderie between our 5 friends... almost makes me wish I'd grown up in a little back alley with other kids my own age. All the beautifully-shot scenes too and background music with lyrics corresponding exactly to the scene/mood like the dreamy TK-DS kiss. I'm still listening to Oh Hyuk's 'A Little Girl' on repeat. The Reply series are really in a league of their own in K-dramaland... will be sad to see this installment go next Saturday T_T

Poor Taek. If the writer had intended for him to be the husband, many viewers may feel that there was a change from JH to Taek due to Taek's popularity. This is what happens when you are filming live and to learn that the script has yet to be completed by the time EP 18 airs. 

I am not going to take away the emotions that were felt as we watched the families in this neighbourhood come together and love each other. Seeing how the family copes with life's stresses such has having not enough money, worries about the children's future, how friendship may change to love - the important thing was how you deal with the hand you were given. 

Whether it is Taek or JH - whichever evidence points to either, there are two episodes left. What else am I invested in?

The Sung parents - what will happen to them? I was surprised to see them still living in the same place after all theses years and not yet moving to an apartment? Haha

Taek's parents - not surprised that they got together and happy to see JinJoo calling him 'appa'. [I miss cutie mini Jin Hoo though]

JH and JB's parents still seem to be the same and as carefree as ever. I suppose the pressure is off since JB has made it into college and their other son is a military pilot. 

DR - was the purpose of him having hemorrhoids was to have Taek carry DS and run? I am not sure what that arc was all about? What is he actually doing in the future?

It would be great to see all the adult versions of the Gang of Five in the last episode. Just to highlight that whatever happens among them, friendship still triumphs.

I hope that the friendships we have made over the course of this drama will triumph as well. As for me, I am on #teamdeoksun

Archived