[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I wish I remember the story of Forrest Gump more clearly to decide if the movie is significant int he outcome.

Because if I remember Forrest loved Jenny and was her always there for her.  Forest might have confessed but Jenny chose not to go with him. There were several missed opportunities in that relationship.  

If the choice of Forrest Gump is important, I would wonder who is Forrest.

Some plot elements I find interesting from the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump

1-Forrest is admitted to public school despite his IQ being below the cut-off, but only after his mother agrees to a one-night stand with the principal, Mr. Hancock (Sam Anderson). On his first bus ride to school, Forrest is rejected by nearly all of his peers except for a young Jenny Curran (Hanna R. Hall). He and Jenny become best friends, and he helps her hide from her alcoholic, sexually (and physically) abusive father. One day, while fleeing from bullies, Forrest's leg braces break apart and he discovers that he can run very fast. 

2- (Around this time JH decides to act) After he recovers from his wounds, Forrest travels to Washington DC where he receives the Medal of Honor from PresidentLyndon B. Johnson and goes to an anti-war rally where Abbie Hoffman invites him to speak before the crowd. After speaking, Forrest reunites with Jenny, who is now living a hippie counterculture lifestyle with a commune of anti-war activists and has experimented with various substances including LSD.

3- (This plot element would be awful for the Taekie ship) Jenny returns to visit Forrest and stays with him. He proposes but she turns him down. They spend the night together, but she quietly leaves the next morning. Distraught at discovering this, Forrest decides to go for a run, which turns into a three-year coast-to-coast marathon. Forrest becomes a celebrity, attracting a band of followers. One day he stops his marathon suddenly and returns home, where he receives a letter from Jenny, who had seen him on the news during his running, asking to meet.

This brings Forrest to the bus stop where he began telling his story at the start of the film. During his reunion with Jenny, she introduces him to her young son, also named Forrest (Haley Joel Osment). She says that the boy is named for his father, which Forrest assumes is someone else named Forrest until she tells him that he himself is the father.

4- Forrest is initially overwhelmed, fearing that his son might also have below-average intelligence, but Jenny assures him that he is a very smart child. Jenny finds out that she is suffering from an unknown illness. She proposes and he accepts, and they return to Alabama with Forrest Jr. and marry.  

5- (Also not good for any ship) Eventually, Jenny dies of her illness. Though he misses her terribly, he becomes a devoted father to Forrest Jr. Speaking to Jenny's tombstone, Forrest tearfully says he does not know if life has a meaning or purpose like his mother said, or if life is entirely random like Lieutenant Dan said—but he has a feeling that, somehow, "maybe it's both". The film ends with Forrest waiting for his son to come home from school on the bus after his first day of school, and watching the feather float off in the wind.

Back to work

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jesse how said:

Just watched ep 18 with Chinese subs, and here are my thoughts.

When JH showed up at the concert just seconds too late, he first blamed fate or timing as he called it. Later, when the radio reported that Taek had forfeited his game for the concert, JH realised that it wasn't fate or the red lights that worked against him -- it was himself. He should have gathered his courage earlier and created those fateful opportunities without hesitation. 

The funny thing is, if only JH went straight to the concert hall right after spotting the guy at the movies, he would've reached before Taek. Yet, right till the end, he hesitated and it was this indecision that ruined his chances.

Every time the door rang, DS turned to see if it was Taek (who else could she be waiting for?). JH noticed, and he knew his confession wouldn't change anything, but he chose to confess anyway because he needed closure for his first love. The ring was for DS, and the fact that he left the ring on the table meant that he was ready to put his feelings behind him. 

I think DS was deliberately sat facing away from the door, to make it obvious that every time the bell rang, she would turn her head. Didn't this remind you of the scene at Banjul, where JB looked up every time the door bell rang? They were both waiting for someone they love.

It was heartbreaking to watch JH finally pick up his courage and confess when he knew it was too late. That was so unlike the usual k-dramas where first love always worked out. And it was heartbreaking precisely because we've all experienced our fair share of regrets and rejections. Just because you loved first/harder doesn't entitle you to the person's heart. 

Now we'll have to wait another week for the final two episodes, where JH and Taek need to resolve their issues, and DS would finally make her choice. Good luck to all shippers!

JH regretted always hesitating. He was finally able to admit that to himself.

I think his confession was his way of letting go. If he didn't say anything, it will not give him closure.

DS was smiling knowing that what he was saying was heartfelt and that she accepts and understand what he was saying.

JH silent nod and smile after DS again looked at the door, after the confession, indicated JH understood and accepts DS's answer too. 

That scene was a silent acknowledgement for both DS and JH. Although DS was grateful, JH knew she cannot accept his feelings.

True to his character, JH downplaying his confession as a joke was, I think, a way to keep the group together.

And that is the beauty of this drama. Not only are the stories of each family very engaging, but it also invokes passion in everyone.

We can watch this show 3-4 times with shippers goggles and then with an open mindset, we'll be able to see things we've never noticed before. We gravitate toward certain characters be it either the kids, the parents, or the situation depending on how we can relate and how we are as individuals.

Please do not forget that the PD and writer put a lot of effort in every character and every scene they do. Give them the credit they deserve.

Sorry to interject but I need to get this off my chest. Frankly, if it's really Taek, it doesn't make narrative sense. Despite the fact that Taek's feelings have been loud and clear, the smallest indication of Duksun returning said feelings or even becoming aware of Taek romantically is when he picked her up on that football  field. Whereas she has had a longer history of developing feelings for Junghwan. 

You can argue that her feelings for Junghwan was superficial crush whereas now she had started feeling real feelings for Taek. You can argue that the moral of the story is to create your own fate, stop hesitating and all. And yes in real life, this would be what happens. But in any fictional universe, this wouldn't fly because audience need to see the progression of things and we need to buy into the end result. And the progression has been leaning heavily toward Junghwan.

I was Team Chilbong in R94, but even I realised it would not have made narrative sense if Najung ended up with Chilbong instead of Oppa. And for me an end result of Taek/Duksun is similar to that. 

Since the beginning of this drama, I always believed that the husband would be JH. I was 85% sure it would be JH, but I let 15% for the possibility of TK being the husband. After all, we never know what will happen. However, those last 2 episodes made me strongly doubt in this and I was more 50-50. After reading the comments in this thread and seeing how people's opinion are really mixed, my doubts had been reinforced. HOWEVER, after watching one detail from the 18th episode, I decided to believe in Lee Woo Jung and Shin PD, because after all, the final response rest in their hands. 

So, after I saw that

Spoiler

Capture%20decran%202016-01-10%2001.53.59

I was like no way, don't tell me that...

Spoiler

a yellow thing will follow.

And then,

Spoiler

Capture%20decran%202016-01-10%2001.54.24

I have noticed that people don't talk anymore about the colours and dolls theories, but I still believe that they are the most trustworthy hints for the husband hunt (especially when you refer to what happened in Reply 1994). So like some people have been saying here, I think the husband has been decided since long ago (and maybe since the beginning). So let's trust them and let's enjoy fully this last *precious* week before the end of this wonderful journey in the Reply world. Believe me, a drama of this calibre won't be seen anytime soon.

Lastly, I would like to thank @Abim Syazili for her piece of thought on the whole turmoil that has caused the husband hunt and people obsession on that. I couldn't have said better. This drama is so precious and I really hope that people will remember mostly the values and the human feelings that this drama has shared with us, more than the husband hunt.

Hmm just wanted to share my two cent on 'the best day of my life" puzzle..Am I  the only one who think it has to be the best day of his life for TK. .because for the first time he got the girl  he likes solely by his side,alone,with no one to interfere...Also yeah this was the first time he got to see how deok sun packed his luggage,brought food for him after waiting in line for hours..and pulled all those mad antics in front of the receptionist to change their room.And the fact that he first thought his manager did all these for him..that misunderstanding  was cleared when they told him all about the way ds went out of her line to keep him comfortable. 

I remember probably during ep  6..when the first snow confession happened..tk's manager asked "what're you gonna do after the game.."At first he was puzzled..but then he said..'I have something to do"..and laughs to himself. .He has loved ds for a long time..so it must have been a dream come true moment for him to get her come with him to China. ..I can't not see this as the best day of his life...yeah.

I will readily accept that Junghwan is the husband but when i see this look

tumblr_o0qmfwlClx1tmjt2ko8_400.gif

I mean, the eyes don't lie, and I see love. Even if they dont end up together this friendship is and always will be amazing. 

all three duk-seon, bora, and jung-bong had the same look when they found their s/o coming for them. 

I'm not an avid shipper. I can usually enjoy a show without the second lead syndrome and not get frustrated with the leads'/writers' choices. So I couldn't understand why I'm so frustrated with JH and his "false" confession! I mean,I like Taekie!

Why am I so emotionally invested in JH?!

This has been bugging me and while I couldn't go and rewatch the whole show, I reread some recaps... remembered how I felt... And realized that, for me, most of the emotional impact was due to JH's actions, reactions... And non-reactions, unfortunately. I mean,we are shown so much how he feels and thinks! More than what's in Taek's mind,imo. They are both fleshed out characters, but viewers always know what JH feels and so much time is devoted to it,more than to Taek's inner world. And certainly DS's in the latter episodes! Now,I didn't time the scenes themselves,but still...I don't think I'm wrong.

So, @ditditdutdut, I get what you mean by the narrative's intention. I agree. If the writers decide to leave the story as it is right now,rationally I will applaud their decision to show that yes, even though JH was really in love with DS, by not acting on it he lost his chance. And Taek took it. First love is not sacred nor everlasting nor are people's emotions evermore preserved in amber. You grow up and move on. Timing really is important. And Taek truly cares for DS! But as a viewer who watched JH spaz over the girl he knows his whole life, follow her every move and,well,basically watched him truly fall in love with her I will be bummed out if this is the end of JH's love. Because,while I have SEEN JH fall in love,I, personally,didn't see that with Taek. I've seen him declare he likes her and also back off because of JH,heard his dad describe how he acts when he likes someone,and there were plenty of scenes with DS as well but it wasn't as emotionally charged for me as it was with JH. And I believe it's because of the way the story is written.

1 hour ago, ditditdutdut said:

Sorry to interject but I need to get this off my chest. Frankly, if it's really Taek, it doesn't make narrative sense. Despite the fact that Taek's feelings have been loud and clear, the smallest indication of Duksun returning said feelings or even becoming aware of Taek romantically is when he picked her up on that football  field. Whereas she has had a longer history of developing feelings for Junghwan. 

You can argue that her feelings for Junghwan was superficial crush whereas now she had started feeling real feelings for Taek. You can argue that the moral of the story is to create your own fate, stop hesitating and all. And yes in real life, this would be what happens. But in any fictional universe, this wouldn't fly because audience need to see the progression of things and we need to buy into the end result. And the progression has been leaning heavily toward Junghwan.

I was Team Chilbong in R94, but even I realised it would not have made narrative sense if Najung ended up with Chilbong instead of Oppa. And for me an end result of Taek/Duksun is similar to that. 

But actually the first time we were shown that Deoksun is really starting to feel conscious of Junghwan was in episode 10, when Deoksun's friends ask her if she likes him (and then it was really confirmed after the "Don't go" scene). Deoksun stops being all concious and happy around Junghwan in episode 14 after the pink shirt fiasco and Deoksun asking Dongryong why no one likes her. One might argue that Deoksun was still crushing on Junghwan at that time (which would make sense because feelings don't just go poof) but after episode 14 we weren't shown any scenes of Deoksun actively being cute and in-love around Junghwan as were in episodes 10-14 because she thought that Junghwan didn't like her.

After episode 14 Deoksun was more focused on studying (and we had those tutle-like movements with our love triangle) so that makes 5 episodes of us being shown Deoksun's actively crushing on Junghwan. 

Deoksun started becoming really aware of Taek in episode 17 (some might argue episode 16 because of Deoksun's disappointment that Taek cancelled their meeting which gets continued in episode 17) and if the writers really want to go the Taek route then that would make 4 (or 4.5 lol) episodes of Deoksun's feelings for Taek. I don't think that's much of a difference? And if they put in some flashbacks (because we all know the Reply team loves using those) shedding some new light on Deoksun and Taek I think they could make the progression make sense.

I think in a way that the writers wanting to keep the husband a secret until the very last episode has always kind of limited them in a way. Because they know/we know/everyone knows that they have to keep the guessing game going until the very end (although Reply 1994 was really cruel in that department because Najung's feelings never wavered :lol:). That's why I can't even blame some shippers becoming angry because some of the scenes we are now using as facts might turn out as red herring in the end (no cursing at the writer though please).

Honestly my gut feeling is saying that Junghwan might be hubby simply because he would fit in with the previous Reply heroes but that's a rather shallow thought, I know that myself haha Maybe the writers want to take a different approach this time? But I really like both Taek and Junghwan so I won't be disappointed either way :D

Edit: God, looking at the length of my post in this thread...why can't I write this much for my term papers and homeworks? Give me back my life Reply 1988

1 hour ago, ditditdutdut said:

I think the script is well written, and it is written in such a way that either outcome can be supported.

Through biases eyes I think DS platonic affection for JH is intact, but her romantic feeling has withered because JH has never supported it in a way that would be apparent to DS. We the audience see it, but DS could not have. DS began to see JH differently at the instigation of her friends.

I think to see the progression of DS seeing Taek anew you would have to re-watch the episode of their trip to China and the episode 17 with the princess hold. Her seeing Taek differently was triggered by circumstance.  In China she was Taek in a situation where is was no longer an inept child who could not tie his shoelaces, but as a titan in his world of professional baduk. In that world he was the most adult and accomplished of all the gang.  The princess hold made her see him as a man and perhaps as a prince. Before during and after the China trip, when he wasn't in a baduk trance, Taek reinforced the idea that DS was special to him.

This won't convince you if you are in the  JH-DS. You will have an equally strong piece of evidence to counter it. That is why the series is so good.

1 hour ago, katakwasabi said:

Love all you guys insight and theories. Keep 'em coming :D

Just hoping the series dont go the 'how i met your mother' route. After 9 freaking seasons of following the show, the ending left me extremely unsatisfied. Huhu

HIMYM was probably throw the worst ending in tv series for the last decade (or maybe tied with dexter) lol.

But there is one movie that have the same route with himym, it's definitely, maybe. The only wrong thing that himym did was with their character development and while definitely, maybe did it so great. So with the same ending they both had, one worked out and another isn't.

If reply 1988 going with the same route as the first 2 installment I don't mind it, as long as they do it right.

Why everyone already give up on Junghwan, and think that taek would be the hubby?

Its not over yet!!

Both of Junghwan and Taek are pity enough,  their kind of play are different, taek is mostly bold and surface player, meanwhile junghwan like underground player, he always hestitate.

I really touched to tear up after hearing junghwan fruatated confession, maybe its because I've been in Junghwan place( Im a girl, and yeah) .

You can see before junghwan confessed he look at deoksun that keep staring at the door when someone coming and he nodded as know what it means. Then he smile when DR said he want to see Junghwan confess before he die, and I think he thoughts it as a chanche for him to confess properly before he go to his post again and thought that deoksun like taek too, he likes "okay, this is the chanche, just said it and everything over" that kind of vibe? Its really difficult to collect all your courage and gut to confess to someone that dont like you back.

Scriptwriter I love you! That confession is really touching,if someone confess me like that I would accept him no matter what. Hahaha.

He said everything he go through because of her and the last word saranghae is just a masterpiece, with that kind of face " im frustated, dont you see it?" The first time I hear saranghae that not make me curling my finger, just so touching!!

49 minutes ago, hushhh said:

This won't convince you if you are in the  JH-DS. You will have an equally strong piece of evidence to counter it. That is why the series is so good.

right on. Im loving the analyses and arguments, i don't care if it's biased, or which side it's on, the fact that we all can't sleep thinking about this show,  rewatching episodes back to get our supporting evidences and even non fans are getting insane shows how much of a genius the writer and director is. We learn from what they produce, and we produce from what we learn. 

4 hours ago, emy_rose said:
Spoiler

Yes, JH DIDN'T CROSS THE LINE... let me borrow something you wrote before, I`ll highlight your words for you :):

I already told the good ladies here a long time that: the line with JH is there because there is more between them than what DS admit, but she knows that something is different from what it used to be... only it was not the time to cross that line still ( like I said there was the heartbreak and the denial)... DS crossed that line when she asked about the blind date, JH tried to cross it in episode 18 when he rushed out of the cinema... I hope the confession will do the trick...

like this my sentence seems something that I wrote just because I ship one boy instead of the other, but don't worry if you miss my previous post ( or you just chose to ignore it) I'll tell you where to find the whole post about the "CROSSING THE LINE" topic: page 416

First of all the wife and the husband are talking about themselves... Taek or JH, whoever the husband is he is talking about himself.

In fact the husband is saying she and the wife is saying he because they are talking to a 3th person that is not showed to us, the interviewer... that's the way the writers chose to show the future DS and her husband... the interview.

Now before talking about the jealousy of the husband ( I'm not omniscient so I'll keep calling him the husband until next week) I'll talk a little about the photos that you posted, more to the point the husband's body language... The way the husband is seated can tell us somethings about his character:

that person is extremely calm and his posture show how open he is with a loved one... now if we are talking about Taek that's something that I never saw in R88. I can be wrong but Taek is always seated in a very formal way: eating or talking with his father, listening to JB during the manitto game, watching a movie with his friend in his room, ect... and this is a part of his character that is very difficult to change... even after the time jump  in episode 18 at his birthday party while everyone is seated relaxed or lying down the way Taek is seated is still a formal one: with a straight back. And this thing is important because this is the way Taek interacts with everyone, no one excluded. That's the main reason why that man in the photo is so different from the Taek that the writers created for 18 episodes... on the other hand that posture is one that JH will take in a second without thinking.

That said let's talk about the jealousy: can we see it in the photos? No, I don't see it.

So I'll point out the body language this time too... you said that "rubbing lips signals discomfort" but since I don't feel that discomfort while watching the photo you posted or the video of that scene I searched body language gestures meaning on google and look what I found:

Touching Your Face During a Conversation – Face touching is commonly interpreted as an indication of deception.  Also, covering up the mouth is a common gesture people make when they’re lying. 

It's not that this definion is better than yours, this definition is more congruent with the context... the husband didn't change his posture and the conversation is very calm too, in truth he is smiling while rubbing the lips... that's what the photos showed: the husband is lying because he is making fun of the wife

The reason why I wrote that this is more congruent it's because we can't leave the audio out of our analysis if we are trying to understand the emotional state of someone... if you listen to the audio link of the conversation till this point the mood is really well-defined... calm and jovial, there's really no tension or stress.

So my conclusion about the jealousy is: there's no sign of it

About the mirror: you're absolutely right, that line is INCONSISTENT with what we know of TK’s character... because that words are not his.

Please listen again to the audio link,   and focus on the way that words are said: a little of challenge, of arrogance and of superiority.

Now I wonder what this remind me: oh yes I know... episode 18 car scene when DS and JH are talking about music, someone posted the english sub yesterday of that scene somewhere and I'm 100% sure that that conversion has a little of challenge, of arrogance and of superiority... that's the old bickering DS/JH relationship

Can it also mean: Do you REALLY need me to get you a mirror to remind you how PRETTY you looked?” Or this, "A mirror? What's that? You don't need that."?

I don't feel that sentiment of telling her that she doesn't need a mirror to know how beautiful she is, the audio didn't connote it and the body language didn't change to a loving one.

So you're telling that since the husband got hit in the future by DS, that caring and loving person that never hit anyone in her life, and he endured the brutality of that act the writers are telling us that the husband is someone she hit in the past too and he is someone that endured it too?

Then if this is what you are telling why is Taek the husband?

DR got hit too in the same way by DS, many times at the bus stop and one time that I remember while they were eating... of course there is also that time that JH got hit too and he endured it. While JH was reading that erotic novel and DS found him... in the end DS was the victorious one and poor JH was left exactly like the husband: he sits nervously waiting for a reaction

But like I said she also hit Taek and DR and SW, the only one that never got hit by her I think is JB, so this "I hit everyone I love" thing is not something that is telling us who the husband is for sure.

And why did you wrote "His hands covered his arms where he got pummeled" like this is a big thing that made Taek the husband?

What's the difference with every human being that got hit? I confess that if I hurt myself somewhere I also cover the injured part... is that not instinctive?

I really tried to found the episode were the husband was smoking because this is not the first time that I read it but I don't remember it and I haven't found that scene, can you tell me the episode? 18 episodes is a lot if you don't remember where to look.

But is JH such a good boy?

I saw that he drinks a lot when he wants too and that he doesn't pause to hit someone in a fight if he needs too... that's not such a perfect boy. And it's fine because no one is perfect... now the question is: can he smoke?

Why not? Everyone can smoke for different reason.

Did he care less for his brother because he smoke? Absurd

My brother-in-law was sick like JB when he was really little, his heart was not good so he stayed in the hospital for a lot too, but now that he is an adult he smoke...

Can he smoke? Of course it's not good that he is smoking

Did he care less for his health? No, he cares... he is just addict to smoking, and even if he tried he can't stop

My point is that if my brother-in-law can do it in real life JH can do it too in R88... because in truth not everyone like to smoke and keep smoking because they like it or because they think that is healthy it just happens.

1. Who can describe Taek better than his father?

Taek’s dad says that Taek becomes childlike and asks for things from the person he likes, and is the opposite—polite and respectful—to people he doesn’t like. So the emotionless face is for the one he can't stand, right? Than I hope Taek is not the husband because what the writers showed until now is a happy marriage... if Taek doesn't like his wife that's a problem

2. and 3. We know that it's snowing outside because Bora said it and the husband is dressed with only a t-shirt while DS has a shirt and a sweater, so of course she tells him to dress warmly.

Does that mean more than this? Of course it can mean more... it can be that she cares for her husband, simple I know, or it can mean something more...

but it's Taek the only one who didn't dress well when outside it's cold? Of course not...  he is the only one who DS needs to tell to dress warmly in the past.

Why? Like I said in my previous post at this point she is still seeing him like a little brother so she is always caring for him like a mother... since this is a long post I'll not write it again, you can just read the post at page 416

P.S. Someone else didn't always dress warmly... ep6... the first snow scene... JH is listening to DS and SW conversation while hiding behind the gate... the adorable fool is outside with only a sweater that didn't seem so warm under the snow.

And for the record SW was also wearing only a t-shirt under the snow in this episode, Bora went out without socks one time and even DS was not dressed warm when she run out in the middle of the night after DR's call that he was hurt...

Conclusion? This is something that all of them did one time or another, Taek was the only one that was seen not able to take care of himself alone at this point.

4. The water... check

the medicine... it's not there

Can it be there but not showed? Yes

If the medicine is there can the husband take a medicine for a sore thoat? Yes

Is Taek the only one that takes medicine? Not the only one, he is the one that exaggerate with medicines... everyone can take a medicine when needed.

But I think that there is not medicine in the scene, so can the husband drink fresh water for a sore throat? Yes.

Now about the "best day of your life":

For Taek it was the day he won an important competition, was it the first time he won? Not really

Was it the first time DS take care of him like that? Not really

For JH it was the day he finally went on a date with his first love. There's no reason to elaborate more on this... the first date is something that a person will remember for the rest of his life, like the first kiss and all the first important things in life.

There's no point in this... this is a normal conversation between wife and husband while watching an old photo. It can be: DS/Taek or DS/JH

I'll say more it can be SW/Bora, JB/DS's friend... my mother and my father... even my grandmother and my grandfather.

That is not a cosmic joke, it's not even a joke... there's no funny in that:

I was the pabo when we were young AHAHAH now you are the pabo AHAHAH... no sorry it's not funny at all

With JH instead it's routine: I was the smart one then AHAHAH I'm still the smart one AHAHAH... the point it's not that this is funny, this is a long term married couple 100%

No, I never wonder what happened, someone already told me... Taek's DAD:

Taek becomes a lifeless corpse in his hotel room and doesn’t even eat... if his father is so sure of this who am I to disagree?  

P.S. Just because I'm writing to you now I'll take the chance to talk about your chocolate theory since I wanted to point out something to you before...

There's no mystery there, I saw who took the chocolate thousand of times... like everyone I think.

Anyway - overlooking the fact that at that time DS was living in the pink world of first love and that we saw that she gave some candies to SW before - on the youtube official account of TVN it showed who got the chocolate in every video they posted

nM1xh8E.jpg

That's SW' s bag.

But  how the husband knew the chocalate moment?

That moment was filmed with JH's dad camera... who is the most likely person that saw it?

Taek or JH?

I don't need to write it, but I'll write it the same: JH

P.P.S. Just to conclude with something funny:

taking into account your wedding theory Taek married again in episode 18... that boy really needs to stop this wedding thing, it's illegal to marry so many times.

And did you see the gay wedding?

DS's dad and DR's dad where having the same game looks while playing cards... and they did it in front of JH's parents and DS's mom... these 2 are so shameless.

Ok, sorry... I'll stop here, but you have to admit that that wedding theory is really imaginative

EDIT: Judas kiss is not in the literary world like you wrote, it's in the religious world that it's an act of betrayal... that the literature used it for centuries it's something that came after because of its meaning... and you were talking about the meaning.

Sorry I'm catholic so I need to say it

MOD EDIT: CONTENT REMOVED! PICTURE UNRELATED TO DRAMA!

OH MY GOD, YES! BLESS YOU! Can I like your post twice, because someone really need to say this and you did it perfectly.

In answer to the question, "Why are people giving up on JH?"

1.   Well one answer might be because JH seems to have given up on himself and taken himself out of the race. 

i-For JH to be a threat to the possibility of Taek being the husband, DS will have to change his current trajectory. That would not be a bet on JH but a bet on DS. 

DS remains the mystery.  Who knows what's going on with her beneath her questionable extensions.

ii-OR JH will have to have a change of heart (and character) and go after what he wants full out without hesitation.

2. Or people weren't pulling for him being the husband in the first place and his "trolling" DS makes him less of a threat.

Consider this: YOu have been carry an unsupported torch for a guy for so long as DS would have had to have been carrying an unnurtured flame for JH, and in front of your lifelong friends he confesses and makes your breath shorten and your heart flutter. THEN he seems to say, fooled yah. hahaha Well it would take a long time for me to forgive someone for putting me in such a humiliating position. 

I have said previously that the confession could be consider a gift to DS.

But it could also be considered thoughtless and hurtful of JH. How much did he consider DS feelings when he laid his soul bare and then pretend it never happened.  Was he sure she did not care for him any more. If she did, JH in essence made a mockery of her feelings.  That is not considerate.

have to get back to work. might add more later.

About how the narrative goes, i think the writer does a fine job on narrating how the romance plot will end. Some of my insight upon it:

Deducing the narrative progression for the romantic plot from Deoksun's POV

Episode 1-2 (2 episodes)

- This is the base, the start. It shows us how DS normally treat all the guys without any romantic feeling included (or maybe a bit for SW there, since DS should be crushing on SW at that time).

Episode 3-6 (4 episodes)

- Her friends tell her that SW like her. Then DS is crushing on SW and shows it blatantly.

- JH shows some of his affection for DS, but since DS is preoccupied with SW she doesn't notice it until later.

- At the end of episode 6, there's a big chang as Taek enters the romance plot, SW leaves DS mind.

Episode 7-10 ( 4 episodes)

- DS giving SW the cold shoulders, trying to get over him.

- DS starts noticing something different about how JH acts for her, her friend says he likes her.

- Some memorable bonding moment for JH-DS (McDonald callover, surprise christmas present, concert date, "Don't go!" scene, etc)

- At the same time with TK, there are some bonding scenes too (movie date, manito game, China trip, beach scene, etc)

- At the end of episode 10, there's a big change again, Taek confess to his friend about his feelings, JH starts to waver.

Episode 11-14 (4 episodes)

- DS is crushing on JH and shows it blatantly. While on JH side, he's struggling to keep his feeling toward her due to noticing Taek's feeling.

- Bonding moment with JH, as DS shown to give him majority of affection on this timeline.

- At the same time with TK, again, there are some bonding scenes too (flasher incident, Taek resting head on her shoulders, TK says he likes a girl, etc etc)

- At the end of episode 14, there's a big change once again, due to shirt misunderstanding DS doesn't felt sure about JH's feeling for her, she feels unloved. Then Dongryong give her pep talk about how she can like someone too rather than waiting to be liked.

Episode 15-17 (3 episodes before time skip)

- DS is again on wavering state (like she was after SW's rejection) after the misunderstanding with JH, moreover there's college matter too.

- TK notice JH feeling, and his confession plan fell through. DS took the date cancellation in distress.

- DS notice different things about TK. Her friends tell her he must have think of her as an easy girl.

- More bonding moment with TK, the bridal carry scene, can't get some sleep thinking of it, the waiting in the night (that follows to the dream kiss), etc.

- End of year 1989, the last narrative moment about romantic plot at this point is how DS start seeing TK in a new light.

Episode 18 onwards (3 episodes, time skip)

- JH missed the timing to go to DS, resulting in the heartbreaking confession scene. DS shows to waiting for something by looking at her pager and the door everytime.

At this point, we can't be sure about how DS feeling. But seeing the narrative progression, i think whoever the husband is between JH or TK, the writing already succesfully establish of how both options are possible. There are enough progress for both of them to be the future husband. There are enough plot for both of them to appeal to DS' feeling.

There's no odd choice, there's no script change, there's no failure in narrative. It all depends on DS now. 

Let's just enjoy the show for now. :lol:

'Reply 1988' pair with the best chemistry

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-01-10%2Bat%2B5.16.3
Daum Poll: 'Reply 1988', who have the best chemistry in Ssangmundong? (except Deoksun)

1. Sung Bora ♥ Sunwoo (38%, 42,380 votes)
2. Kim Sung Kyun ♥ Ra Mi Ran (29%, 32,755 votes)
3. Choi Mu Sung ♥ Kim Sun Young (11%, 12,423 votes)
4. Kim Jung Bong ♥ Mi Ok (11%, 11,915 votes)
5. Sung Dong Il ♥ Lee Il Hwa (7%, 8,011 votes)
6. Ryu Jae Myung ♥ Ryu Dong Ryong (4%, 4,678 votes)

1. [+151] SunwooBora is my favorite couple ever

2. [+138] I watch Reply for SunBora

3. [+132] My vote only goes to SunBora♥

4. [+114] SunBora, be happy

5. [+111] SunBora's my fav. Be happy

6. [+89] Cheetah unni is the best~~

7. [+68] SunBora
Cr. kkuljaem

Everyone here is talking about the husband but I want other mysteries to also be solved. For example I'm starting to sound like a broken record but SW's last name. Also is Mi Ran (JH's mom) going through menopause or is she pregnant? Are Taek's dad and SW's mom married now? It wasn't made very clear in the last two episodes. Taek's dad didn't exactly ask to marry her, he just said he wanted to live together and grow old together. Sure they live together now and they're as good as married but have they actually gotten married? So many other things to think about yet we're all stuck on who's the husband. Sure I'm invested in the husband mystery too but despite what I said at the beginning it does feel as though the shipping wars have trully arrived.

12 minutes ago, mrukki said:

Everyone here is talking about the husband but I want other mysteries to also be solved. For example I'm starting to sound like a broken record but SW's last name. Also is Mi Ran (JH's mom) going through menopause or is she pregnant? Are Taek's dad and SW's mom married now? It wasn't made very clear in the last two episodes. Taek's dad didn't exactly ask to marry her, he just said he wanted to live together and grow old together. Sure they live together now and they're as good as married but have they actually gotten married? So many other things to think about yet we're all stuck on who's the husband. Sure I'm invested in the husband mystery too but despite what I said at the beginning it does feel as though the shipping wars have trully arrived.

They are most likely married. Even nowadays cohabitation is frowned upon in Korea , it was even worse in the 90's.

23 minutes ago, natkat said:

'Reply 1988' pair with the best chemistry

lol why would they leave out DS T.T are they scare of ship wars? TK vs JH or they think DS doesn't have any chemistry with any characters in reply 1988.. poor DS T.T

ps: whenever I see moderator coming here, I scared..cuz I don't want to see this thread closed T.T.. so people if your post are long winded pls keep in spoiler, do not quote pics/gifs/videos!! now unrelated gifs are also not allowed.. cuz these are soompi rules..

Archived