[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drama beans recap is out and there were some interesting tidbits that monoligual could have no way of kowing just picked up.

1-The news reports an unprecedented forfeit from baduk player Choi Taek, who suddenly forfeited today’s match for personal reasons. He skipped a match to go to Deok-sun?  Nice! Taek, man of action.  I've often said that DS has Taek's entire attention except when he was in a baduk trance. Well it seems that he is willing to postpone his trance and to lose a match for her--which is significant because the word on the street/blog is that Taek is uber competitive.

2- Bora and Deok-sun wake up face-to-face, which surprises Bora since she didn’t hear Deok-sun come home last night.This is after the concert forfeit match meet up. Where was DS. Was there another Spiderman kiss (and more)? Was there a confession. Did Taek's car get impounded because he couldn't park it and left it randomly in the street.  I actually think Taek ran to DS.  If he had tried driving he probably would never have made it.

3a. The kids sing happy birthday to Taek and give him a pager as a birthday gift, and he says he doesn’t need one or even know how to use it. They complain that he’s the only person without one, and Deok-sun says THEY need him to use it. DS can see the future

3b.Deok-sun and Jung-hwan head out together to meet the gang, and he notices that she keeps checking her pager. And checking the door. If DS knew Taek had a match at the time of the concert she would certainly ask how he got free time to come to her. If Taek explained that he'd always be willing drop everything to come to her--that would be a confession--perhaps followed by a night out in bed.

I don't want to jinx it but my Taekie canoe might well be a yacht again.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/01/answer-me-1988-episode-18/

25 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

I LOL at the other team for going delusional. I feel sad for them, but a lot of them really disregarded us, and some of them still are. 

I'm not a shipper by any means at all. But the writer likes doing these big twists at the end. In all honesty we can all pick apart the episode but, let's all be real we don't know who it will be

16 minutes ago, hushhh said:

2- Bora and Deok-sun wake up face-to-face, which surprises Bora since she didn’t hear Deok-sun come home last night.This is after the concert forfeit match meet up. Where was DS. Was there another Spiderman kiss (and more)? Was there a confession. Did Taek's car get impounded because he couldn't park it and left it randomly in the street.  I actually think Taek ran to DS.  If he had tried driving he probably would never have made it.

Sorry for cutting your post.

But this is hilarious. Taek's car get impounded because he couldnt park and left it randomly in the street. Hahaha. It will be more hilarious if it truly happens :w00t:

I hope by the end of the drama, the writer will not be labeled as "f*ckep up" or "changing the script" whoever the husband is to be (oops too late because I have seen these comments going around). JH and Taek are both equal parties who have balanced opportunities to woo the girl. They both have their flaws and strengths, which make them very relatable. 

Now, against all odds, I don't think the writer made JH to be "pathetic" (as what some people said).

Strengths of JH:
- Dedicated person who loves DS for a long time
- Shows his crush signals (umbrella scene, bus scene, giving present) through actions. Actions are louder than words.
- Cherishes friendship which led to him being noble and giving up confessing to someone he loves.

The reason why he was a step too late (considering until episode 18) is not because of timing - but because he hesitates too much. Hesitation is one of his flaws. But that doesn't make him pathetic, it makes him relatable.

How people out there have tried to confess but got cold feet? How many people out there have the same crush as their friends and decided to back out? How many people out there cannot face their loved ones and shun them when they realize their friend like the same person?

There are many.

The writer is not making him a wimp. The writer is making JH relate to everyone. Not everyone can be like a swoony male lead who drags a girl by the wrist and say "I love you." Sorry, but real life doesn't work that way. 

However, kudos to him for realizing that hesitation is indeed his flaw. Maybe that will act as a wake up call for him to not hesitate when he has someone he loves or who knows, he might use this as a motivation to confess to DS directly in episode 19... hopefully not episode 20. Thus, I add another strength to his profile: 

- He knows his flaws and will probably work towards changing it for the better

1 hour ago, Wendy Wang said:

I LOL at the other team for going delusional. I feel sad for them, but a lot of them really disregarded us, and some of them still are. 

it’s not over till it’s over. I dont know who people who disregarded you. Im absolutely on JH side always and forever but i stiil love taekie anyway. When 2nd episode was told about flashback when taek come last in their group i believe that taek is the husband. Cuz like on previous reply series. Flashback childhood scene on reply 1997 and reply 1994 always tell about the husband. But after that confession scene and the lonely graduation ring left on the table i dont know why i have these feel that JH will be the end game. So dont to over confident cinguyaa. We still have 2 more episode left. We never know what will happens. Lets enjoy the ride together in peace...

Taek bias.

I think everyting points to Taek being the husband and that the special relationship between Taek and DS was established in episode 2.

I hate the Olympics.  It seems cruel that in a foot race where most everyone has spent a lifetime training for that most will lose the ultimate prize by seconds.  And it is most painful for the second and fourth place winners. Although silver doesn't win, I can't really see that person as a lesser athlete.

It is weird that commenters are seeing the fact that who the husband isn't clear as a failure of writing on the part of the creative team as opposed to proof of their talent and abilty to keep millions of people passionatley engage with FICTIONAL people to the point that their heart are broken, they are angry, etc.

Your anger is because the artist have done well. Instead I'd view the situation as a masterful creation of two worthy romantic athletes racing for one prize. 

I feel sanguine writing that because I think Taek is winning.

New thought.

The two "k-drama misses" that happened between DS and JH makes me a little nervous, because often in k-drama that missed connection is corrected later (and this time I don't want it to be)

New thought

When I consider the race for DS heart between Taekie and JH, it seems to me that JH is always one step behind because he ruminates. And while he chewing stuff over Taek steps into the  breach. When DS was on the steps, JH considered going over to her and while he was thinking about it Taek showed up and filled the void.  I think there was another example before today of JH being a step behind but it slips my mind. 

Today JH figured out what had happened immediately, but he sat in the cinema thought and thought and thought. That scene where JH ran out of Forest Gump on was of Forest DC reunion with Jenny, I'm not sure but it had to be more than a third of the way through a very long movie (142 minutes not counting previews) it was not the traffic lights but his rumination that slowed him down. 

We didn't see when Taek found out about DS two-timing date, but I'd bet  he had someone forfiet his match and left right away and went straight to DS.

Because of JH hesitation and him therefore always being one step behind, I'd bet that Taek confessed during or after the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why DS was so looking forward to Taek's page and watching the door was because she and Taek were going to break the news of their relationship to the gang.

lol.

at my pov the husband is still jh no matter what they do to distract me

i mean suddenly the husband gesture are different from the beginning episodes.

guess what? bcs the pd or writer or whatever wants to distract us.

but idk if anyone ever mention about this before..

the hints are real the dog and cat pic

they way LMY and KJH holding hands.. arent that rly obvious guys? for me

and the jacket KJH wearing in the future. idk idk lets wait for 2nd last episodes...

but if taek is the end game omg the writer is so cruel for making jh confess like that and made him crying in his car like THAT

and the flashback... he love her since ep 1. he always think that shes pretty.

ah.. why there is monday tuesday wednesday thursday.. can tomorrow be friday?

*sigh*

Why TK: in connection to previous reply

1. There is a detailed childhood flashback about him. Dedicated ep 2 for that.

In 94: trash and najung and the dead brother

In 97: sw and yj childhood

2. They practically spent their childhood in tk's room.

In 94: nj's house

In 97: sw's house

3. The time jump happen after the dream kiss. After she felt weird about TK.

In 94: nj and trash broke up

In 97: yj confessed

4. Ds told tk she knew him like the back of her hand.

In 94: nj and trash

In 97: sw and yj

after spending the whole day yesterday repeating that confession scene of JH :wub: .. i woke up today and i'm doing the same :sweatingbullets:

so i thought maybe i should do sth else before i lose my mind :)

so  here you go

TVN's youtube chanel videos of ep 18 translated ;) ( forgive my poor korean )

SW Omma : Why isn't taek home yet !? does he even know it's his birthday !

SW : Ofcaurse even taek knows that much

SW Omma ; Maybe he's having hard time parking again !? Didn't you go out and see ?

SW : Aghh that kid

(hhhhhh and it's true .. that puppy can't park it)

SW : yaa Get out of there, i will park it so just go home first

TK : nop, i can do it

SW : (almost hit him in a cute way) the whole family is waiting for you go in first

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( in the news paper it's written that a celebrety called Sim Su Yeong choosed Taek as her ideal type)

DS : phhaahhahahahhaha ya did Sim Su Yeong go crazy !!!!!! why would she like this kid !! (looking at taek) you can't even tie your shoe laces properly right !!! wah Sim Su Yeong i'm really Dispointed hhhhh

JH : i'm a big fan of Sim Su Yeong !! 

DR : (looking at taek) ya amoung all of us your the one who've been to blind dates the most, and your the one who has the best revenue (income) .. why can't you date !! isn't it that you have some really high standards !?

SW : Ahh i guess that you Guys don't know this kid well

TK (looking at SW) : You keep quiet

SW : he have been dumped by all of them..

JH : Why !! 

SW : When they(girls) first know it's gonna be choi taek they go '' Wooow" and they meet him, but when they meet him they get frustrated like crazy (DS and DR burst in laughter) SW : cuz this kid Doesn't speak at all !!

JH : Aigoooo

TK : i really did so much effort

DR and SW : Yaa .. do even more effort

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest is going to be in my next comment

I know that there are many clues right now that point to Taekie...I really don't know why but I think it was decided from the very beginning that junghwan is gonna be the endgame....the whole series...it really looked like junghwan was the main character and now deoksun...I might be wrong...but the whole atmosphere of the story makes it look like it was made for junghwan lol haha 

I watched this series bcs of Park Bogum, but continued the series because of Ryu Jun Yeol's character! Love love them both! I am shipping JH-DS and I am shipping myself with Taek~ haha 

see my comment in page 420 for to see the 2 videos i translated so far

and here's the rest

( this one is too funny hhhhhhhh )

SW omma (knocking on TK's Door) : Taek-ah, Taek-ah come out to eat breakfast

(goes in and stares at him, Tk appa comes and now both of them are staring at him)

SW omma : i think he lost some weight !!

TK : i think he lost some hair too, and lost some weight in his nose too !!

(now it's SW turn hhhhhh)

SW omma : oppa !! he's dead isn't he !!???

TK appa : No, he's breathing

SW omma : i think he's dead though !!!!!

(hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS : What is it with you all, i'm a woman who's busy in the weekends ( dating), not the kind who'd go watch a movie with her neighborhood friends !!

DR : But is it in sunday !

DS : yup .. wanna go too ?

DR : Aiiish .. ya .. we were planning to go watch a movie all of us together in a long tiiiiiime , Forrest Gump

DS : but i already saw that movie !!

DR JH SW : Aiiish . SW: You have no loyalty

DS : i saw it with that person (her date), why would i watch a movie with you guys

TK : I saw it too 

SW JH DR : yaa aiiiish

TK : agh i forgot, i'm sorry, people at the academy kept asking me to go watch it together, that's why.

SW : Ya .. i didn't see it .. what about you JH

JH : me too

DR : ya .. it's just not right for 3 men to go watch a movie together .. what image is that !!

DS (laughing) : what is it now !!!! are you saying that you see me as a girl !!!!!!!! hhhh okey okey, than i will cancel that concert thing and i'll go watch a movie with you guys .. 

DR JH SW : ya ya yaaaaa just go .. JH : go already .. SW : Go now .. JH : i'd prefer going with NL .. DR : just go go, i'm going with my dad .. sth sth .. JH : why are you still here, aren't you going yet ! .. DR ; and stop saying that person, that person

DS (looking at TK) ; ya give me some alcool

TK : no you should drive 

DR said sth but can't figure out what is it

----------------------------------------------------------

the rest in the upcoming comments

What if the lead was meant to be JH but the story was originally meant for JH to be heartbroken and not have a happy ending with his first love? 

Many people go through life not ending up with their first love. (Unlike Reply 1997 and Reply 1994 where they both ended up with their first loves.) It could be the writers intention this time to show a story where the "lead" does not end up with his first love.

So I (forever rooting for JH) watched the c-subs and interestingly, the scene that gave me uneasiness while watching raw is the scene that gives me reassurance after watching with sub :P The future husband’s polite mannerism originally gave me the idea that they are trying to make him look like Taek (although I continue to argue that JH does behave quite politely in front of strangers too). Then with the subs, I understand that adult DS is telling JH not to read weird manhwa. Ok, I know both boys read manhwa but chances of one reading weird manhwa is probably the one that was caught reading the little red book. Well, that’s just my biased interpretation at work.

Anyway, one scene that always remains constant to me, be it watching raw, with eng sub, or with c sub, is the confession scene. Dammit, Ryu Jun Yeol. You totally nail it! That emotion… I cried every time I watched it. Contrary to many opinions, I actually don’t mind that JH made the confession into a joke. It’s very him and to quote @chocolatepizza, very relatable. While he realized that his hesitation has worked against him, I kind of think he has totally given up and don’t intend to pursue on. He just wanted to give his last heartfelt confession before giving up and turning that into making it look like (edit: this is more appropriate) a joke is just to ease the akward feeling at the table. He doesn’t want a response from DS. All he wants is to speak out and then close his heart to his first love and maybe move on.

Watching DS expression, I do think she was a little surprised at the sudden confession. When JH listed the things that he has done, she smiled because she knew all those things and they are nostalgic to her. I do see a bit of disappointment on her face when she realized it’s a joke. What I can’t be sure of is why DS kept looking to the door. I agree that she’s looking out for Taek but there seems to be more behind that action and I expect to revisit this scene again in flashback next week. Someone will also pick up the ring next week, I guess.

On a more shallow topic….

Jung Hwan doing stretching exercise in the morning? Why did the camera zoom down his body :phew:? Hahhaha. He’s looking damn good!

And Taek wearing his suit jacket at home (that would be the day he should have a baduk competiion but he cancelled it cos he went to the concert), all I can think of is…. that pant.. very tight… show his pert little butt. :w00t:

Oh, thanks to @blue_angel_1004 for the translation of the internet chat room. The c sub didn’t explain properly and I’m dying to know what is the exact hint that made Jung Bong suspect Mi Ok is in the group. So happy for their reunion!

Also, I’m looking forward to your little novel. I recall you used to blog (I still have the link in my ‘favourite’ folder) and I like those cultural related posts :)

In any case, be it JH or Taek, I expect PD-nim and writer-nim to be scolded till the very last episode and after that too. Since they gonna get scolded, they might as well go all out to trick both camps and make fun of us. I shall just sit back and nurse my heart that is weaken at the sad confession for the next one week while waiting for the last 2 episodes.

see my comments in page 420 to see the videos i translated so far

there isn't much to translate in this one but i'm putting it just to apreciate for the 1000...000th time the smexiness of JH in this part .. OMG i love that guy

So when he starts leaving

DR : ya imma .. where are g.... !!!! i'm sorry (appologizes to people next to him)

JH is running to DS

DS calling her friend JAH : ya JAH this isn't sth that happens for you that often (not sure though) .. it's a concert ticket !! so hurry and come and when you come plz bring me some clothes and shoes ok !! ya hurry and come, you should definitely come, definitely (keeps waiting in the cold)

JH driving like crazy .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS : what are you !!!!!!!! how did you come here !!?? (TK smiling at her)

and you can hear JH's Narration 

JH : faith isn't sth that would come find you from time to time ! .. to be able to use the expression "it's faith" it should be a very rare dramatic moment that happend coincidently, that's what you call it faith..that's why the other name of faith is ''timing" .. today,if only i didn't get stuck in those damn lights at all, if only the red light helped me just once at least .. like faith, i could have been the one standing infront of that girl, .. My first love was always caught in that damn, in that damn timing !! that **** Timing !!

(and now i'm in tears again .. this guy is killing me )

anyway.. wait for the ressssst :)

i never doubted for a second that anyone other than JH will be DS' hubsband... until todays episode. JH's confession seems like his way of getting everything off his chest and let go, self closure. That's why the ring was on the table when they left, technically he gave it to DS, but DS thought it was a joke and didn't take it. he left it there, along with his feelings for DS. I think he gave up the moment he saw Taek getting to DS first at the concert hall. With that said, i belive that there is a 20% chance that the husband is taek... i've never even considered the other competitors during the other 2 reply series. the writers stepped up their game this season, even if the husband is JH i think my heart will hurt a little for Taek. BUT, if the husband is not JH, i will be REAL UPSET!! I still have faith that DS will figure out that she lurves JH and they will reunite somehow.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO NOT HAVING TO GUESS WHO THE HUSBAND IS!!!!!!??????? 

Jung-hwan slams his steering wheel in anger and cries alone in his car. He narrates, “But fate and timing aren’t just coincidences that find you. They’re moments like miracles, that arise out of choices made because of ardent desire. Surrender and decision, without hesitation—that is what makes timing. He was more ardent, and I should’ve had more courage. It wasn’t the red lights, nor the timing that was bad… but the countless times I hesitated.”

the above was copied from dramabeans recapp!!! I absolutely agree with this!!! We always blame fate, destinies, luck!! But i always find that one must have courage to begin with to have the fate, luck, destinies!! 

Why does Taeki wins ? I dont have any knowledge on thebaduk game, but strategy is always the key point!! Courage with strategy and decisions and choices makes the best decision. 

Should Taeki loses this round, at least he has tried! Rather than give up or even hesistate to not take any actions!

remember all his buddies told him its ok to lose during one of his tournaments, and he came home wining all of the games!! 

Shouldnt Teaki deserves this pretty and kind maiden's hand! 

Bu then, love is a funny thing!! What is DS actual feelings! We haven't heard from her story yet?!

5 minutes ago, angkahshin said:

Jung-hwan slams his steering wheel in anger and cries alone in his car. He narrates, “But fate and timing aren’t just coincidences that find you. They’re moments like miracles, that arise out of choices made because of ardent desire. Surrender and decision, without hesitation—that is what makes timing. He was more ardent, and I should’ve had more courage. It wasn’t the red lights, nor the timing that was bad… but the countless times I hesitated.”

i strongly doubt this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i'm not a native korean speaker !! but with 3 years studying it .. i  can definitely say that the translation is so wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's his narration

faith isn't sth that would come find you from time to time ! .. to be able to use the expression "it's faith" it should be a very rare dramatic moment that happend coincidently, that's what you call it faith..that's why the other name of faith is ''timing" .. today,if only i didn't get stuck in those damn lights at all, if only the red light helped me just once at least .. like faith, i could have been the one standing infront of that girl, .. My first love was always caught in that damn, in that damn timing !! that **** Timing !!

Archived