[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

7 hours ago, reydevan said:
Spoiler

Ok, if this is the ending, then most people will be pretty upset about how it ends.

but there could be some truth to some of it...

in episode 12 we see the president for the first time, would not surprise me that the president reappears in these episodes and YSJ is takes on a mission to accompany the president somehow as protection.

also in episode 12 during the hugging scene.

KMY asks YSJ who he chooses, her or country....he answers KMY for now.....

this saying 'for now' it could turn out be significant....

i could imagine that YSJ would take a bullet in order to protect the presidents life...it would make sense as he will protect 

women, children and the elderly..

so I hope the writers don't do down this path, but it's quite plausible if you think about..

all will be revealed in 2 days.

Spoiler inside

• Like 3

the medical care delivered (or should I say not delivered) in ep 14 really required me to use suspension of disbelief.

1. apparently si jin got shot multiple times....but only ended up with a cast on his arm. and was able to walk around, no problem. (i work in a trauma/surgical icu, nobody is walking around like that right after).

2. mo yeon's nonsaving chest compressions. 123? 123? 30 compressions and 2 breaths my friend. looks like she was giving her bf a chest massage (granted i know its a drama and we aren't giving real ones, but come on....) and the other doctors just standing around watching....ummm? hello? it would be nice if you were helping push drugs or giving breaths to save his life? 

sometimes i really have to close my eyes through these medical parts of the drama (the med parts in the earlier parts of the drama weren't too bad tho)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Far^away said:

^ i just saw the interview and he cracked me up big time. 

And there's one thing he said that we should keep in mind.

The interviewer asked him to sum up the ending of DoTS in one line. And he said....

It's LOVEY DOVEY.

Hail Manager Jin! :lol:

I read another translation - the interviewer asked Mr Jon to summarize the drama in one line (not ending). And he said it is cringe worthy or something to that effect. But not specially on the ending. Can someone who understand Korean confirm please?

• Like 7

Just love them....

viewimage.php?id=26bfc335f0dc&no=29bcc42

crto via dc

Rumour mill again....

Spoiler
The never ending spoilers again and this time from a k-netizen who proudly claimed to have seen it and spoiled it for everyone and wanted fans to thanks her/him if it's proven to be the truth. You only get more hatreds and criticisms I can assure you of that! The tragic ending is far-fetch from a "refreshing ending" by Jin-Goo or the "lovely-dovey ending" by Mr Jin.

The ending spoiler from weibo (if any truth to it) is different again, though this one makes more sense to have an epilogue for the couple future. Seriously, so now we have an "Open ending" for china and a "tragic ending" for Korea. So can each country that have bought the license to air this drama have their own unique ending too. I want my happy fairy-tale ending for my OTP.

Let say the "tragic ending" is the "real" ending and KBS will provide an epilogue in order to "thanks us fans" on April 22 by showing how our super-hero Captain died in greater depth as to further dramatize it so that it will be remembered as the best drama with the most tragic ending of all time than good luck to KBS. I'm sure fans will come running to your building, please hire a super-hero YSJ to protect you first.

Whatever the "real ending" the writers will provide, I'll anticipate and try to understand the writers' intention than wasting my emotions on these rumour mill. I will sure miss Captain YSJ and Dr KMY once DOTS ends....they have now become my most beloved "refreshing" characters I ever watched in k-dramas. If my beloved fictional characters could not have a fictional happy "refreshing" ending, I'm more than happy for the real characters to have a real happy ending. I will anticipate that then!

• Like 24

50 minutes ago, Ohsh said:

I read another translation - the interviewer asked Mr Jon to summarize the drama in one line (not ending). And he said it is cringe worthy or something to that effect. But not specially on the ending. Can someone who understand Korean confirm please?

Mine was translation by KBS World, but we do know from experience that KBS have taken liberty with their translations more than once. 

Funny thing about language is, even native speakers have different interpretation on words so it's up to us to interpret it, I guess.:sweatingbullets:

Right. Back to lurking mode. Adios. *roger&out*

• Like 6

2 hours ago, happifruit said:

After watching 14 twice (first time raw, second time with subs), I still can't shake the feeling that there's just something about this episode that was just so uncomfortable to watch, for me, at least, regarding the situations that involved YSJ. I think the writers were trying to make us suspend disbelief too much and for too long, and that can only go so far before you lose the audience, especially now that we've left the larger-than-life world of Uruk and we're back in real, everyday, mundane life. I know that there are fans that still quite like this episode (and there are some really great reasons and insights into the relationships that this episode did explore), but I felt that the writers did really drop the ball quite badly, especially considering the lead-up into it.

First of all, the opening. I said before that I loved the idea that the tables had been turned so that YSJ's life was now in KMY's hands, after she had been saved by him so many times in Uruk. (And let's face it: as fantastic of a character that she is, and she is still my favourite Kdrama female character of all time, when it came down to the life-and-death situations, she was still the damsel-in-distress that YSJ had to save. I wish she could have gotten out of the car-cliff situation herself even while it was happening, but I digress). The writers had so much they could have done with this, and they just went 'Naahhh'. I would have LOVED to see a deeper exploration and a better handling of the medical efforts. I wanted so badly to see KMY having to fight her emotions and keep a level head the way she's always done in surgery to deal with his massive blood loss, bullet wounds, and the the cardiac arrest. This would have been a stellar opportunity for Song Hye Kyo to show off her acting chops and a tremendous opportunity for the writers to add another layer to her personality -- directing her team through her tears and desperation and the conflicting emotions of fighting for her boyfriend's life on the operating table while doing what she needs to do as a surgeon. But, no, let's throw this away completely and give us that ridiculous scene of Superman YSJ. What a completely wasted opportunity.

And then the farther-reaching effects of YSJ's injuries. Fine, I'll pretend the hallway scene never happened. Take away the adrenaline that may or may not have helped him to swagger into the hallway, and all of a sudden we have a whole host of other complications that, apparently, Korean doctors can combat in less than a day. Care to share your medical knowledge to the rest of world, maybe? Multiple bullet wounds causing so much blood loss that he went into shock, but yet he only has a cast on his right hand (way to write his injury into the script, but bullet wounds don't disappear overnight. And if he only got shot in the hand, where did the bucketload of blood come from?). No other bandages, no hindrance in movement. And what about the pain? No painkillers? The potent stuff that would work in this situation would probably make him quite sleepy, but he just looks like he's recovering from a cold. The loss-of-consciousness/concussion? I've been concussed twice and you literally cannot think clearly for weeks on end. Not to mention, you are very, very, very sleepy. No amount of adrenaline or willpower can overcome the fact that your brain literally can't deal with being aroused or stimulated. But, apparently, that's a not a problem, because you can still shoot a gun with 100% accuracy after a LOC and a broken wrist. And wow, that cast is so easy to take on and off that one can simply slip out of it, go to a rooftop, use a sniper rifle with absolutely no problem, but you can't take your pants off before you put the cast back on. How did both writers let this go through? And man, I would hate to be the nurse in charge of his IV line. That wrist would be a complete mess, what with him ripping the line out every two seconds. And this wouldn't just have been the writers' faults...I can't believe that the team behind the drama spent so much time and effort in the first 12 epsiodes, but did so poorly with consistency and continuity in this whole episode. The point of pre-production was so that this wouldn't happen.

And then the relationships. Let's start with SKY and KMJ. After all this time of the angst and history and bitterness and heartbreak, and all of the things that they went through together that drew them closer, we are now back to square one. And we have to go through all of this angst and 'I love you but I can't be with you for your own good' rubbish that we've already dealt with. It's so so tiring as a audience member to have to do this over and over again, and I just can't see it being set up for anything worthwhile in the next two episodes. It's like there has been minimal growth with the characters, and that's very frustrating to watch.

Now YSJ and KMY. At first watch, it was maddening to see how low of a priority he put her feelings vs his anxiety over the NK soldier and his job. On second watch, this is quite consistent with his actions in the past, which made it no less maddening, but makes one thing very clear. This drama was, from the get-go, written for a female audience. So of course, YSJ was written to be a sort of a fantasy for females. And this was highlighted in a lot of the 'omghe'ssoperfect<3!!!', 'omgIloveYSJIwantaboyfriendlikehim<3<3!!!' sentiment all over the interwebs. I remember way back in the thread, someone mentioned that his major flaw was the two extremes of his soldier-ON and soldier-OFF mode. And this episode really does a good job of highlighting the repercussions of that -- his emotional unavailability when he is in soldier-ON is proving to be a source of huge frustration for KMY. She does an admirable job of attempting to accept this, as shown by her not being all weepy and clingy, but you can see how difficult it is for her when he asks him, more than once, do you know how that felt to be me, seeing you come to my ER like this? Do you know how much I worry right now? I'm glad the writers let him show a little bit of vulnerability when he told her that he wanted some comfort from her, and I love that KMY handled the whole thing so rationally. But despite his actions in Uruk, one thing is clear: his top priority is his allegiance to his country and his duty to serve his country. Although he has disregarded authority twice in the past for her, both times he did it as a soldier. His actions with the VIP patient were based on the honour that he believed he must uphold as a soldier who is wearing the burden of his uniform. The situation was misleading because it involved KMY that it looked like it was for her, but in fact, it really wasn't. He said this himself when they fought at the top of the road. The second time, when he went to rescue her from Argus, remember what he said through the phone? He serves his country, and to him, his country is his people. And in his mind, his country would never forsake one of their citizens. Again, that it involved KMY may have played a part in his emotions, but both these situations and his actions in hospital despite his own conditions and KMY's worries, he has proven that he is, first and foremost a soldier. For KMY, this means having to deal with the fact that, when it comes right down to it, he was not lying when he said, "For now, Kang Mo Yeon." For now, I choose you, until I am called upon as a soldier of my country to uphold my duty that I pledged to my country, and at that time, I will choose my country. I have to say, kudos to the writers for keeping this part of his personality so consistent. This is his most fatal flaw, and it takes a certain type of woman to accept that. It's clear now that this was the writers' intention from the start.

It's interesting to hear your point of view, and I can't even disagree.  I'm in the fervent mind that DoTs, while flawed, is great.  After reading your post, I am concurring with your thoughts as it triggered memories of similar reactions and thoughts when I first watched ep 14.  Someone mentioned earlier that if they didn't make him go flatline, the ability to recover would make more sense.  I actually expected him to pass out right alongside with the North Korea soldier and was shocked that he seemed to recovery with no issues after having a cardiac arrest.  Frankly speaking, having a heart attack is probably one of the most painful experiences ever and is not something to make light of.  So after reading your posts, and many others ( @mulder9999), I can say that the writers did drop the ball and they were sloppy in their delivery of ep. 14.  The main story line is still great and I love the consistency of the love between MY and SJ.  But paying attention to details really defines great from good.  I think ep 14 is good, not great, unlike the first 13 episodes.  I can overlook some of the cliched factor that took place (ie. MJ and DY's relationship).  DY is more conservative and wanted her father's approval first and foremost over their love.  But I can rationalize that quite simply.  His history was that he was a problem child and the army was what had saved him (told through Gi Bum's story).  It seems like DY truly looked up to Commander Yoon and thus, his need of approval and acceptance is critical for him and sadly may be stronger than his love for MY.  He doesn't believe he is worthy of MY's love.  And the only way is through Commander Yoon's.  However, it is hard to overlook something so jarring and erroneous (in ref. to SJ) that can simply be fixed if they weren't going for the dramatic with the heart attack scene.  Well, the good news is, it's not the main story line that the writers screw up.  Still looking forward to the last 2 episodes!  I guess that's true love there folks...I'm accepting all the flaws and issues with DoTs and still love DoTs with all my heart. :P

• Like 13

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Now that finals week is here, I can't stop wondering, "What am I going to do next week?!"  (Other than rewatch DotS, of course....)

Same here. I think I'll just keep rewatching DotS until SHK chooses another drama. Which means it'll probably take another 3-4 years.

• Like 10

I have rematch DOTS at least 5 rounds for each episode!

First time raw.

The English sub-low Quality.

The  English sub-high quality 

Then for the in between days till the next episode. . I watch again to ease my craving.

What shall I do next week??????? Can't imagine!

• Like 9

This is such a random news, but why can't people allow ithers to enjoy it? If it's really stolen.

Captain Yoo Si-jin's life-size figure is gone!"

"Descendants of the Sun" Yoo Si-jin, Song Joong-ki's popularity is soaring at the moment.

The KBS 2TV drama "Descendants of the Sun" has a photo zone with Song Joong-ki's life-size poster that is encouraging fans to visit.

The photo zone was a big hit as announcers and stars visiting the KBS building and fans from Korea and other countries stopped by to take pictures with the life-size poster.

However, those who visited the site on the 8th were disappointed to see that one of the two life-size figures of Song Joong-kiwas gone. There were two of them, one of which is of Yoo Si-jin walking and the other one of him tying someone's shoelaces.

A female fan in her 40s told News N, "I went to the photo zone to take a picture with the figure of Yoo Si-jin tying my shoelaces. I wore sneakers for that too but the figure was not there". Sources say it might have been stolen.

According to witnesses, visitors of the photo zone had to wait in line to take pictures with the life-size figure. The popularity might have led to the theft of the figure.

Meanwhile, "Descendants of the Sun" is ending on the 14th with sixteen episodes. As method of soothing disappointed fans, KBS is programming a "Descendants of the Sun Special" for 3 days until April 22nd.

Source: http://www.hancinema.net/song-joong-ki-s-life-sized-figure-gone-from-descendants-of-the-sun-photo-zone-93330.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 10

so I heard that the subs from KBS is the best, can someone PM me wheich site has this sub? It'd be useful for me when I am craving this next few weeks! Thanks.

@happifruit i agree on some parts. I think the YSJ shot part could be played out /polished better. At the very least after MY is done with the NK soldier's surgery and meets him she could check his bandages etc, so on and mention something about the injuries.

My main complaint is that YSJ lied / ran away from the hospital that way specifically after she told him to stay put. I think that's going back to where they were before she told him to tell her when she's going to dept store. It shows that he doesn't trust her to handle it well. Sure she may say no and create a ruckus, but still it looked like he doesn't trust her still. MY is being very nice by letting it go. I wouldn't.

• Like 3

I honestly also feel a bit disheartened by how the story was handled during the first few minutes of ep 14, like I said before it left me wonder how come he can recover that quick. I tried to overlook it and just jokingly said he is indeed Superman. But it's still bugging me even until now, and also the auto pilot car scene (even if it's truly possible). These are the only thing I still trying so hard to accept. All the rest have been so wonderfully written and executed. The love story, the humanity aspect, the action scenes, all are fabulous, I have no complain about all of those. I salute the writers, cast and crew for creating such a realistic story about two people with different background. How they fell in love and how they cope with each other, how they deal with all the problem to only strengthen their love. 

The only consolation I have is to think the drama has flaws, it is not perfect. I hope viewers will not be discouraged to continue the drama until the end. It really sadden me, but I truly understand why they feel that way. 

Fighting DotS Troopers, I am sure the last two episodes will be great. Chanting to myself, think positive, think positive, think positive... LOL  :blush:

@gilaswan Thanks so much :D I have bookmarked it, waiting for your updates. Fighting!

• Like 18

39 minutes ago, giragira said:

My main complaint is that YSJ lied / ran away from the hospital that way specifically after she told him to stay put. I think that's going back to where they were before she told him to tell her when she's going to dept store. It shows that he doesn't trust her to handle it well. Sure she may say no and create a ruckus, but still it looked like he doesn't trust her still. MY is being very nice by letting it go. I wouldn't.

@giragira :D My personal opinion. I think YSJ knows he doesn't have much time left to save the NK guy, and MY is prolly going to stop him from doing his last bit for his "friend from afar" ... Furthermore, YSJ knows the importance and impact of saving the NK guy. Finally, after MY saw the news of the families being reunited a result of Alpha team's interference, she cannot bear to blame YSJ anymore right?! :D  

• Like 12

Can't believe this week is the final week of DOTS... There won't be anymore drama to look forward to after DOTS. There won't be anymore weekly dose of YSJ and KMY moments. It seems ages i have waited for this drama and can't believe it's ending soon. :(

I'm not really worried about the ending of the drama because we have to completely trust the writers. DOTS will give us the best ending. This drama has never been disappointing and it never will. Hopefully we will see a jump rating on these 2 final episodes too. Can we have at least 40% rating for the final episode please. Let's go and aim for 40% rating!!! DOTS fighting!! :wub:

• Like 14