[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Asia falls for South Korean military romance Descendants of the Sun

Asia falls for South Korean military romance Descendants of the Sun

This undated handout photo released by Next Entertainment World in Seoul on April 5, 2016 shows South Korean actor Song Joong-Ki ® and actress Song Hye-Kyo in a scene from the hit South Korean drama series "Descendants of the Sun". Photo via AFP

PUBLISHED  APRIL 11, 2016

SEOUL — Millions across Asia will sit down this week for the finale of a hit South Korean drama series that has triggered relationship health warnings in China, a thumbs-up review from Thailand’s junta chief and a trans-regional passion for its two young stars.

Descendants of the Sun tells the story of an army captain sent on a peacekeeping mission to a fictional war-torn country, Uruk, where he meets and falls in love with a surgeon working with a medical NGO.

The 16-episode show has garnered impressive domestic ratings for broadcaster KBS, but its real success has been overseas and the series has been hailed for reviving the so-called “Hallyu” (Korean Wave) of k-pop and k-drama that started spreading across Asia in the early 2000s.

It has proved particularly popular in China, where it has been simulcast on the video-streaming site iQiyi.com and has notched up more than 2.0 billion accumulated views, while becoming one of the top-ranked search and discussion topics on Weibo, China’s version of Twitter.

“Will I be able to find an acceptable husband if I keep watching K-dramas?” said one Weibo user, describing herself as “totally in love” with lead actor Song Joong-Ki’s character.

‘SONG JOONG-KI SICKNESS’

Such obsessive yearnings triggered a tongue-in-cheek warning from China’s Public Security Ministry about thousands of women who were suffering from “Song Joong-Ki sickness”.

“When chasing male or female stars, do not become too infatuated with them, because sometimes your casual words could end up hurting those who really care for you,” the ministry advised on its own Weibo account.

And it is not just China.

In Singapore, advertising executive Jamayne Lam, who described Song as “every girl’s dream”, confessed to getting hooked on the drama after just 10 minutes and binge-watching all 11 available episodes in two days.

In Hong Kong, where it’s shown on Viu TV — a free-to-air channel that also has an online portal — the series is popular with commuters who like to view it on their smartphones while travelling to and from work.

“After watching the first episode, I could not help but chase it,” said Susan Yuen, a 30-year-old clerk, adding that waiting for the latest episode upload had become a weekly routine for her and many colleagues in her office.

Korean dramas normally begin airing before later episodes are filmed — allowing for ratings-boosting script adjustments.

RISKY MARKETING STRATEGY

But Descendants of the Sun was pre-recorded in its entirety — a major “risk”, according to its South Korean producer Next Entertainment World (NEW).

“None of the pre-recorded dramas have been successful in the past,” a spokeswoman for NEW told AFP. “But it was necessary to pass Beijing’s censorship rules for our first simulcast in China.”

Censors did make some changes to the Chinese-version of the drama, including deleting a fight between South and North Korean soldiers in the first episode.

Pre-recording paid off by allowing a strong pre-broadcast marketing strategy that included airing movie-like teasers in South Korea and China three months in advance.

The drama has now been sold to 32 countries, including non-Asian broadcasters in the United States, England, France and Russia.

Its success is built on the same staples that have made k-dramas a lucrative cultural export: attractive lead actors, melodrama and romance.

What sets it apart, experts say, is its modern-day setting of military peace-keeping, upbeat patriotism and, perhaps most crucially, the fact that it’s a k-drama that isn’t “too Korean”.

“At a time when Asia has seen scores of natural disasters like tsunamis and earthquakes, the series projects a sense of universal humanity,” said Yun Suk-Jin, professor of Korean Literature at Chungnam National University.

“And because it is set overseas rather than in Korea, it appeals more to international viewers,” Yun said.

POPULAR EXPORT

It has spawned a mini industry, with Chinese fans snapping up cosmetics, clothes and fashion accessories favoured by the show’s stars — especially the female lead Song Hye-Kyo — and sold on iQiyi.com’s online shopping site.

The South Korean city of Taebaek — the location for the military barracks in the drama — is opening the film set to the public after President Park Geun-Hye told senior officials that the drama could fuel a boost in tourism.

Park was just one of a number of political leaders to applaud the drama for helping to “instill a sense of patriotism among young people”.

In Thailand, former army chief-turned-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha praised the series for its sense of sacrifice, obedience and duty.

“So please watch it and if anyone wants to make such a drama I will financially sponsor it to make people love government officials,” Prayut told delegates at a government function in Bangkok.

His only criticism was that Song Joong-ki was possibly too young and handsome.

“In real life a captain must shoulder a lot of burden and would look older,” he suggested. AFP

c  todayonline.com

• Like 18

On 3/30/2016 at 1:53 AM, imfreakingawesome26 said:

Hi! I'm new at this forum and reading all your opinions are interesting. 

It's a bit off topic though still related in DotS.
I just want to ask, do you happen to know the title of the song played at the almost end of Episode 8, where KMY chose the song to be played from her cellphone. It is also the same song played in Episode 9 where Captain is aiming at KMY using his sniper rifle? Also the same song played at the start of Episode 9, before hearing KMY's confession. I don't know if it has been already asked and has been answered. If yes I apologize.

Its lyrics was like this' Everyday I give you all of my love oohh" and the beginning lyrics was " How can I stay with you". I've googled it but I failed.

thank you in advance. :)

Hopefully is not too late. I just found it as well but with background.

How can i love you - xia junsu

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Astarzzz said:

@giragira :D My personal opinion. I think YSJ knows he doesn't have much time left to save the NK guy, and MY is prolly going to stop him from doing his last bit for his "friend from afar" ... Furthermore, YSJ knows the importance and impact of saving the NK guy. Finally, after MY saw the news of the families being reunited a result of Alpha team's interference, she cannot bear to blame YSJ anymore right?! :D  

I want to see how he escape frim KMY at the time.... It must be thru the broken window... And his alpha team already waiting for him.... There must be some spiderman upps... Vampire act :P.... Vampire can crawl thru wall very fast right????

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, miss sojisub said:

I want to see how he escape frim KMY at the time.... It must be thru the broken window... And his alpha team already waiting for him.... There must be some spiderman upps... Vampire act :P.... Vampire can crawl thru wall very fast right????

@miss sojisub He escapes with his pair of pleading puppy eyes.... and his queen melted... haha! :blush: 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, happifruit said:

And then the farther-reaching effects of YSJ's injuries. Fine, I'll pretend the hallway scene never happened. Take away the adrenaline that may or may not have helped him to swagger into the hallway, and all of a sudden we have a whole host of other complications that, apparently, Korean doctors can combat in less than a day. 

Gotta say, that was the absolute weakest link in the drama so far. For all other almost perfect, fantastical portrayals of the military and medicine, I could still accept as well within reasonable and plausible limits of this universe, but that scene... The laws of that universe didn't apply. So no, all other explanations that have been given as "well, isn't Captain America fantastical too?' just won't work because in Captain America's world, science was written that way. I'm quite certain Captain Yoo's world is still written following the laws of physics and all other sciences known to man in the same world I actually live in.

"This drama was, from the get-go, written for a female audience. So of course, YSJ was written to be a sort of a fantasy for females. And this was highlighted in a lot of the 'omghe'ssoperfect<3!!!', 'omgIloveYSJIwantaboyfriendlikehim<3<3!!!' sentiment all over the interwebs."

This bit you wrote though - with the rest of your exposition that followed - is he really perfect with all his flaws then? Heh. Would you really want a boyfriend like that? Methinks not. He looks good and all, but he's in reality horrible boyfriend material.

• Like 10

In a week this thread increase 100 pages, so next week will reach 1.000 pages. Wow! (The power of DoTS). I'm proud of SJK, he become Korean Tourism Ambassador and he really enjoying his time with Korean President. He doeesnt look nervous, I believe because of his intelligence. I cant belive this week will become the ending of our drama, but the euphoria will still going on. In the special episode I hope we can see the NG and BTS. The most scene that I wanna see are :

1) The kiss (KMY YSJ in the truck and SDY YMJ in the car)

2) Dumb and Dumber in hospital (ep 14)

3) KMY dance when she's drunk.

Cant wait for episode 15 & 16, I dont care about the spoiler and the ending speculation. While waiting for ep 15, I'm rewatching from ep 1.

• Like 22

Seriously i really need to stop visiting Koala's Playground blog. The latest two updates about DOTs is really shocking me! I can't believe it that the C-netizen really leak out the ending? Can't they updates anything better than the leak story??? Seriously.. everyone knows this week is the last episode!!!!! 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, visiopeia said:

Seriously i really need to stop visiting Koala's Playground blog. The latest two updates about DOTs is really shocking me! I can't believe it that the C-netizen really leak out the ending? Can't they updates anything better than the leak story??? Seriously.. everyone knows this week is the last episode!!!!! 

I am even trying to avoid /this/ thread as much as possible because of all the speculations. Think I'll return after I've watched it (and refrain from the live recaps too). Yeeeeeshhh

• Like 4

Song Joong-ki's life-sized figure gone from "Descendants of the Sun" photo zone

photo711899.jpg

"Captain Yoo Si-jin's life-size figure is gone!"

"Descendants of the Sun" Yoo Si-jin, Song Joong-ki's popularity is soaring at the moment.

The KBS 2TV drama "Descendants of the Sun" has a photo zone with Song Joong-ki's life-size poster that is encouraging fans to visit.

The photo zone was a big hit as announcers and stars visiting the KBS building and fans from Korea and other countries stopped by to take pictures with the life-size poster.

However, those who visited the site on the 8th were disappointed to see that one of the two life-size figures of Song Joong-ki was gone. There were two of them, one of which is of Yoo Si-jin walking and the other one of him tying someone's shoelaces.

A female fan in her 40s told News N, "I went to the photo zone to take a picture with the figure of Yoo Si-jin tying my shoelaces. I wore sneakers for that too but the figure was not there". Sources say it might have been stolen.

According to witnesses, visitors of the photo zone had to wait in line to take pictures with the life-size figure. The popularity might have led to the theft of the figure.

Meanwhile, "Descendants of the Sun" is ending on the 14th with sixteen episodes. As method of soothing disappointed fans, KBS is programming a "Descendants of the Sun Special" for 3 days until April 22nd.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, estherlim said:

I have rematch DOTS at least 5 rounds for each episode!

First time raw.

The English sub-low Quality.

The  English sub-high quality 

Then for the in between days till the next episode. . I watch again to ease my craving.

What shall I do next week??????? Can't imagine!

Hi, everybody. I am a new meber.

Can anyone give me link to watch 'The english sub-high quality'?

Thank you so much.

Edited by hanhkhohaiduong
  • Like 2

Actually, it was very disturbing to read all speculation ending of this drama. Come on, let's just enjoy the plot. Okay, we can share what we think based on scenes before, but all the ending rumor is so annoying. Even if its became sad ending, I'm still going to accept it, later after it aired, however, because I believe KES will give us a story that can’t be predicted. I often wondered story every week based on the preview that aired, but deng!! i can’t, we can’t guessing the right plot. So far, KES managed to provide the story with less intrigue that made-up, everything tasted rational both in terms of their jobs or love line. Because all of the estimated ending, I even will not read this forum for the next 2 days. But see, I can’t do it.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, miss sojisub said:

Hahah right! Well actually since SHK is busy maybe they just disguised him and go through a normal route. I also found it really weird that they kept a patient in a room with broken window! Normally they would immediately take actions like moving the patient to another room or barring the window with something temporary. 

Anyway, guy can't take off his pants by himself but can sniper shoot accurately, lol.

• Like 9