[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

3 hours ago, Yippeuni said:

I always curious about the green badge in YSJ shoulder, colonel park has it, so is general yoon.

what that's means?

I always forgot to ask

In most countries, field ranks are worn by officers on shoulder epaulettes and on the upper sleeve by non-commissioned officers. In S. Korea it would appear field ranks appear to be worn on the collars which means from a distance it is not immediately apparent who's an officer and who's not. They use the green epaulette for that purpose though the ranks are not sewn there. If you look at their dress uniforms though, his rank is on his shoulder. 

Where I am, field ranks are worn on the front of the shirt. Military fashion. Hahaha... (Field ranks refer to ranks you wear in the field, i.e. combat uniforms).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

In most countries, military ranks are field ranks are worn by officers on shoulder epaulettes and on the upper sleeve by non-commissioned officers. In S. Korea it would appear field ranks appear to be worn on the collars which means from a distance it is not immediately apparent who's an officer and who's not. They use the green epaulette for that purpose though the ranks are not sewn there. If you look at their dress uniforms though, his rank is on his shoulder. 

Where I am, field ranks are worn on the front of the shirt. Military fashion. Hahaha... (Field ranks refer to ranks you wear in the field, i.e. combat uniforms).

thank you eonni... I understand now... i was thought like that too, but then something bothering me. if the one with green epaulette is a CO then why YMJ not have it. Dang!!! I just found out that YMJ did not gradute from military academy, she is joinin military via special path with her doctor skill (at least that what I understand from my friend explanation ~~~ her boyfriend is a military doctor too)

• Like 1

Watched the first ep today. The thing i liked about KES dramas is that the male leads pursue the female lead like there is no tomorrow. But she has a habit of potraying the female lead as some weak, poor and pathetic creatures that ever existed on this earth. She redeemed herself in dots by creating a awesome, no nonsence female lead who knows what she is doing. 

I liked that almost every scene and every dialogue in the first episode comes back again in the later episodes. From the Choco pie in the very first scene to their movie date, it all comes to a full circle. As a viewer, it makes you feel connected to the drama more.

We all have discussed about what made YSJ to fall for KMY. But why do you think KMY accepted his date request instantly after their first meeting itself??(other than the fact that he is so handsome).

I'm curious about their expressions in the last helicopter scene. I can somewhat understand YSJ's reaction as he is going on a dangerous mission and there are chances that he may not see her again if he, yunno, happens to die. But KMY doesn't know all of this right. See she is almost teary in the below pic. Its only their second meeting so i am wondering what is in her mind??

tumblr_o70h8lPEso1vso0bbo1_400.jpg

tumblr_o70h96xbi21vso0bbo1_400.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, phikyl said:

If DY hadn’t insisted on getting his phone back from KB, would SJ and MY have met? Maybe they would have somehow still met in Urk?

DY got a ride to the hospital from SJ so does that mean he waited for SJ while MY was in surgery too or did he end up catching a bus back?

Did SJ over-exaggerate the pain when MY pokes his stitches? He seemed to recover quite quickly once she started fretting over him!

Yes! I think the two were destined to meet.  The universe kept throwing them together.  If they had met in Urk though they wouldn't have had any lingering attachment from the past and it would have been more of a fresh start, that could have been either good or bad in some ways.  Regardless, the two barely needed any time to fall in love in the first place, so it's not that I think her time in Urk was too short either.  They would have worked out things eventually.  

Poor DY...it's a long ride (90 minutes?) so he probably didn't take a bus.  Maybe he called someone.

Yes, the guy gets shot all the time and doesn't flinch so a little poke makes him double over in pain? lol 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Yippeuni said:

thank you eonni... I understand now... i was thought like that too, but then something bothering me. if the one with green epaulette is a CO then why YMJ not have it. Dang!!! I just found out that YMJ did not gradute from military academy, she is joinin military via special path with her doctor skill (at least that what I understand from my friend explanation ~~~ her boyfriend is a military doctor too)

MyeongJoo did attend the military academy - SiJin said so in episode 1. I'm not so sure about how the Korean military wear their ranks, but she might not have a green epaulette because she's not in a combat vocation. All military officers, including medical officers, must go through military academy, otherwise you cannot become an officer. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, kokodus said:

<deleted to shorten post length>

We all have discussed about what made YSJ to fall for KMY. But why do you think KMY accepted his date request instantly after their first meeting itself??(other than the fact that he is so handsome).

I'm curious about their expressions in the last helicopter scene. I can somewhat understand YSJ's reaction as he is going on a dangerous mission and there are chances that he may not see her again if he, yunno, happens to die. But KMY doesn't know all of this right. See she is almost teary in the below pic. Its only their second meeting so i am wondering what is in her mind??

<images deleted>

I agree with you about KES having redeemed herself with regard to portrayal of female characters in DOTS. I *almost* didn't watch DOTS cos of KES. But SJK won me over. Heh.

I like the image you caught of KMY's expression. I think she was very much perplexed, and there was probably some slight but significant worry. Remember she asked him if there was a war? And then she asked Dr Song what kind of military personnel would get picked up on a helicopter just like that? She had to know it wasn't ordinary, but since it was their first meeting after she stitched him up the day before (right?), she was still willing to let this intrigue guide her, hence her readiness to go on a date with him still on his return. Note though: she did hesitate a bit before she said "yes" to him. 

When was the exact point of falling in love though? Like not just physical attraction but really falling in love. Also, do you think YSJ loves her more than she does him?

• Like 7

Hi, I redid the subs for this drama because I couldn't stand that so many lines were off. If anyone wants a copy of the subtitle files, please PM and I'm more than happy to share. Thanks!! 

• Like 11

Just now, lizzyd said:

Hi, I redid the subs for this drama because I couldn't stand that so many lines were off. If anyone wants a copy of the subtitle files, please PM and I'm more than happy to share. Thanks!! 

Wow! The ENTIRE series???

• Like 1

I just rewatch Ep 1. And it really does struck me that YSJ regards KMY higher when he was surprised she knew what a gunshot wound/scar looks like. 

And to find out she volunteers as a doctor in Africa before gives him a sense of awe. It pulls him in and tells him that she isn't an ordinary doctor that is just comfortable being here safely in Korea treating patients.  

Africa is not excatly  a safe country. And she probably went to some conflicted zones seeing how she knows what a gunshot wound/scar looks like.  She also seems to know who Private Ryan is (from the movie). Not much girls dig into soldier/war zone type of movies. 

So it pips YSJ interest in her a lot. 

• Like 9

@gilaswanYes i agree about your point on KMY's readiness to go on a date with him. I think she just followed her heart. But when it happened for the second time, her brain took control and she wanted to break up with him. Even during that rejection scene in the cafe, you can see the disappointment in her face that he let her go that easily without explaining or defending himself

Just now, gilaswan said:

When was the exact point of falling in love though? Like not just physical attraction but really falling in love. Also, do you think YSJ loves her more than she does him?

Its hard to tell. Maybe when he saw her struggling and giving her all to save a patient. I think the passion she had for her job is the reason he had fallen for her. As for KMY, i dont know, maybe when he protected her during that arab leader incident. I think that's why when he tells that he didnt do that for her she was so disappointed and literally abandoned him in the road. Lol.

And i dont think YSJ loves her more than she loves him. YSJ was the persistent one bcoz nowhere he can find a girl like KMY with his job. He was so smitten by her and really wanted this relationship to work maybe because he knows that he has chance.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Oh this thread is roaring back to life. I slept and woke up and actually have to back read pages. Yay~!

Thank you for the updates of your wonderful fanfics.. @gilaswan  and I am waiting in anticipation for yours @themarchioness (it's what I live for these days...fanfics)

Gah, I know, so much great discussion going on right now and stupid work is keeping me so busy I haven't had time to participate.  I'll try and catch up over my lunch break; it'll give me something to read while I eat, at least.  ;) 

Update on the fic: It's almost done.  I spent several hours working on it last night and I'm almost there.  It's taking me longer this time because it's also my longest piece so far.  So I guess that's the good news: more to read once it's finally posted.  The bad news is, after I finish this piece, I'll probably have to take a break from fic-writing for a week or two.  I'm expecting a project to drop at work any day now and once it does, it will require my entire focus.  I guess it's a good thing DotS has soured me for other dramas right now because now I won't have to compete with distractions once the work project starts.  

• Like 6

@lizzyd Oh me!! Me! I want it. Thank u so much. The subs are always off. Even Drama fever got them off. It vexes me that we as non-native Koreans get watered down translations. T.T 

@themarchioness Thank u dear! I hope despite being busy with ur new project, you would still drop by here. We don't want to miss you completely.  :-( 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

@lizzyd Oh me!! Me! I want it. Thank u so much. The subs are always off. Even Drama fever got them off. It vexes me that we as non-native Koreans get watered down translations. T.T 

@themarchioness Thank u dear! I hope despite being busy with ur new project, you would still drop by here. We don't want to miss you completely.  :-( 

I've been watching DotS on Viki and Dramafever and can definitely say, between the two, Viki has the better subs.  Generally speaking, Dramafever tends to summarize their translations and ordinarily, I don't mind when they do that.  It's not as if you can't still understand what's going on and the meaning is still sufficiently conveyed.  But I did notice a couple of times while watching DotS that they just got some translations wrong, and that I did find distracting.  Which is interesting because according to their credits, their subs for DotS came from KBS. 

And don't worry, @CatWhiskers, even once my project starts, I'll still drop by the forums.  I'll need breaks after all!  But fic-writing requires more time/attention and that I won't have to spare.  The project will only last a week or two (depending on when it drops), so I won't be out of commission for too long.  :)

• Like 5

@themarchioness Oh I haven't check subs from Viki. You need to pay to watch it right? I used an online streaming site to watch.  It wasn't so bad but I do know some trans are still off. And you are right about Drama fever. But I don't like that they summarize it. Sometimes it got kinda lost in translation. The impact of the original speech the character  (or in my case...I just focus on YSJ-KMY) say to each other. Lol. Anyhow, take care of your health while working! ;-)

• Like 3