[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

I think I agree with @melissala that the characters DY/MJ were important to the story but their relationship wasn't. The only really important moments I think the relationship brought were: MJ’s answer to MY when she’s asked if she doesn’t worry about DY’s job, and of course, when MJ’s crying helps MY realize the full implications of the last letter she receives from SJ. Other than that, I think the relationship could have been cut out with no lasting impact.

@annettegatuslao Agreed that theirs was the right love at the wrong time. Fate can bring them together all it wants but if the timing is off, it won’t work out. I wonder if that’s the real point behind all of SJ’s “the timing is weird” comments…

And did someone request some tension…? :phew: 

BSOAD3z_zpsmvhiputj.gifKtXiyxr_zpsdzgbiifu.gif

I swear I've got about 5 gigs of just DotS gifs on my laptop now. I can't get enough SJ/MY!

12 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Let's analyse the hugs. Is it the type of hug, the manner of hugging, y'know, elements of a hug that just *any* good actor can bring across? Or is it just so beautiful and full of feeeeels because it's SJK and SHK, or is it because of YSJ and KMY? What makes a good hug? And you know, they did none of those back-hug scenes which Kdramas just about invented methinks. Theirs were really the best hugs. Hug-template. Hahaha... What nonsense am I spewing now? C'mon clock. Move faster cos I want to go home and watch episodes 1 AND 2 - AGAIN!

I think the beauty of SJK and SHK's chemistry is that they don't need to kiss too much just so people can say that sparks are flying between the characters that they play. The hugging scenes that they had in DOTS were so intimate and just so lovely to look at. You can really see that SJK and SHK are both very gifted actors because they can speak with their eyes.. with their bodies. I love all their hugging scenes, but if I were to single out two scenes that really touched my heart and made me a bit teary-eyed, it's that hug SJ and MY shared before the "diamond" exchange (deleted scene) and the hug they both shared in Ep 15 before SJ left for his three-month mission. My gaaaahd the feels from those scenes. Its common denominator is SJ bidding MY goodbye ;_________; I mean, seriously. You can really see the pain in SJ's eyes. The "I don't want to leave you, but I have to." look and MY responds with the "I don't want you to leave too, but I understand. Just promise you'll come back to me" look. My goodness these twoooo

• Like 14

Hug analysis. Hmm. I don’t usually analyze things like this so this will be a bit out of my depth but here’s what I think.

I believe a good hug comes from a combination of factors. A good actor/actress pairing should in theory be able to pull it off well but it also has to do with whether the audience feels the chemistry between the two characters themselves.

Then of course, there’s the fact that SJ/SJK shows no hesitation in hugging MY/SHK and he really buries himself in her arms. He grabs her hard, holds her close, nuzzles his head into her head/neck like he’s inhaling her scent and just altogether gives off the feeling that he’d never let go if he didn’t have to. The hugs that stick in my head the most are the one in Episode 15 right before he goes on his last mission, and the car wash hug in Episode 16. All of the hugs between them come across that way though, not just those two. Of course, I don't have gifs of either of the hugs I mentioned on hand yet so this one will have to do for illustrating my point.

mu5GEF8_zpsocgw2acw.gifBPdj9M_zpsw5an9fld.gif

Wooho!!!! Hugs analysis. I love it. They had the best hugs i have ever seen in a kdramaland. My fav is the one in 15th ep and also the coffee hug. They almost had no gap between them, they hugged so tightly and it gave me that warm fuzzy feeling.

SJK and SHK were really comfortable with each other hugging like that. Both are really great actors to be able to show that much intimacy btwn their characters, its like we are watching a real couple on our screens(or maybe they are). Hehehe

tumblr_o7293dHkGp1vso0bbo1_250.gif

tumblr_o7291ulZbP1vso0bbo1_250.gif

tumblr_o61bt9PTpf1vso0bbo1_400.png

Gifs credit to the owner

SJK looks really manly and SHK fits into his arms perfectly as if its made for her.

And i dont think i can see them acting in other dramas with different actors in the future. Their chemistry is so much real.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

In regard to Ep 1, where SJ states that a doctor must not have a bf, because they r too busy. I felt it was more like a question. He is interested in her. And therefore, use a statement like that to gauge if she is currently in a romantic relationship...like u mentioned... He most definitely did not expect her to retort back. Sparks fly...my screen almost went up in smoke. Lol!!!

that is my favourite scene EVER!!!! It's so magical. 

I love how witty YSJ in that scene... and I love how KMY "fight" him back.... YSJ already know from the beginning that this woman is not easy.... 

He like her at the beginning because of her uniqueness. Remember their first date scene at KMY house.... when YSJ asked her what she want to eat..and she replied Dalbi Dalbi...

He said that she is so peculiar/unique yet so pretty.... 

KMY is not like the other girl she dated before... she is the exact type that he is looking for.

• Like 5

Wah, this is the longest I have to stay away from the tread. Been so busy with works and can only read once in a while, can't join the convo. I'm loving all the discussion here and I just back read 5 pages, lol. You guys are awesome! Group hugs... 

@phikyl let me help with the gifs...

If he could he would never leave her, this scene is heartbreaking enough for me to have teary eyes each time

2cp0Yv1.gif

But the saddest part is this...she tried so hard not to cry, but as we can see tears have started to pooling in her eyes. SJ can do nothing except to give her some comfort through his hug

ueGJWdL.gif

In here, she looks like a little girl, just one more hug before she have to let him go. I can feel all the love she has for him in this hug

Ppxz1Zh.gif

• Like 15

3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Let's analyse the hugs. Is it the type of hug, the manner of hugging, y'know, elements of a hug that just *any* good actor can bring across? Or is it just so beautiful and full of feeeeels because it's SJK and SHK, or is it because of YSJ and KMY? What makes a good hug? And you know, they did none of those back-hug scenes which Kdramas just about invented methinks. Theirs were really the best hugs. Hug-template. Hahaha... What nonsense am I spewing now? C'mon clock. Move faster cos I want to go home and watch episodes 1 AND 2 - AGAIN!

Well, I don't think SHK and SJK's previous dramas hugs were this good imo, but there is more at work here with chemistry and the PD as well with how he directed things.  One thing that I think is perfect with the two of them is that their height difference is really complementary, and they really hug with their whole bodies. Usually in hugs the girl has her arms stiff on her side, but in DoTS she's always active and doing just as much hugging as he does. They also hold on to each other after the hug ends as well and look into each other's eyes.  

5CxPo19.gif

Spoiler

g3UrWCe.jpg

It's really intimate to hold someone's waist like that.  They also sway and move when they hug, which again is what real people in love do.  People don't have stiff and unmoving hugs in reality. They mold into each other's body and really hug, getting as close as possible. He burrows himself into her shoulder, touches her head, caresses her body (let's keep it PG tho... lol), puts his arms completely around her, and she does the same. 

Ydh25k2.gif

So lovely seriously. They should give a class on how to hug.  In the gif that @kristy86 posted in the hug when he was leaving (when she hugged him) she automatically put her face against his body as well...she's not just hugging with her arms, but her whole body.  

• Like 14
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, melissala said:

Well, I don't think SHK and SJK's previous dramas hugs were this good imo, but there is more at work here with chemistry and the PD as well with how he directed things.  One thing that I think is perfect with the two of them is that their height difference is really complementary, and they really hug with their whole bodies. Usually in hugs the girl has her arms stiff on her side, but in DoTS she's always active and doing just as much hugging as he does. They also hold on to each other after the hug ends as well and look into each other's eyes.  

I agree. Even as they hug, you can really see the chemistry between SJK/YSJ and SHK/KMY :) And I just noticed that even after they've broken off the hug, MY's hands remain on his sides. It's so sweet. 

• Like 9

Come, my giffy friends! For the sake of the likes of me who don't know how to make gifs, please flood us with a page of huggy gifs! This show was FULL of good hugs! Huggies in this show (IMO) were way better than the smoochies (not to say I didn't enjoy the smoochies), but the huggies were a class of their own! 

I think as many of you have pointed out, the key difference is that they hug with their entire selves. It's like they're melding and moulding into each other. So much intimacy y'know? No wonder staff on set said to them to "date already, why won't you?!" Who knows, maybe they really are but for all reason Kdramaish, they can't and won't do a reveal. Alas. But their hugs... :wub: They do indeed hug as if they are breathing each other in... SHK is as short as I am, and SJK is as tall as my hubs, and ooh, I like them huggies with my hubs too and whenever I do, I love to smell him as well... And KMY hugs him like she's just drinking in all of him. 

I think my favourite hug is the car wash hug. Aigoo... how cute can he get?! What a manly special forces man going all cutiepie on his doctor. Awwwwwww...

• Like 18

1 minute ago, jkfans said:

finally joining the bandwagon. Can't help falling in love with this drama.

Welcome!!!! Never too late!

OK. Am off to re-re-watch my favourite scenes in episode 1. Looking forward to overnight (for me) posts which I can read when I wake tmw morning... :D This is the beauty of an international group of friends on Soompi! DOTS thread never sleeps!

• Like 10

@gilaswan i have the same thinking like u. I like hug better than smooch. Their hug is perfect. It shows how much they love each other without any 'pervert' emotion. It is a pure love. As if we don't watch a drama. 

Your and another chingus analysis's on this makes me sounds so wonderful. I'm not interested on watching another kdrama too and just checking this thread . 

Are we silly or what chingus.. :):) 

• Like 10

Yes, I'm going to interrupt cute hugs with the chairman... sorry lol.  But it's relevant to the rewatch.  I thought this was funny combined with the scene in ep. 13

Dx5kQZL.jpg

2tkUEoR.jpg2q0Eupl.jpg

Spoiler

OGwhL6D.jpg

XTeRaHA.jpg

I actually ended up liking the chairman somewhat.  A little. Since he was like a typical kdrama lead who thought they could do anything, but this time he couldn't!  We need more scenes with him and Si Jin tbh. 

He's also one of the three main cupids in the dramas along with DY and Puppy. :P 

• Like 12