[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Friends, I've reached that point in my life where I'm finding DotS related things every day in my life.  Help?

First, this past week, one of my coworkers was telling me about how he'd met a radiologist who was in a wheelchair.  So of course I thought of Doc Pyo.  :P

Second, I'm currently watching Obstetrics & Gynecology (totally because of SJK, but am actually enjoying the drama -- surprisingly) and there are two scenes in that drama that made me think of DotS.  The first time was when the main male lead was arm wrestling the second male lead, and the second male lead's phone started to ring.  The main female lead (who'd been watching them from the side) then said, "Jeonhwa, jeonhwa," which reminded me of the Subway scene in DotS where YSJ was trying to deny that he was jealous while forbidding KMY to drink with other men and his phone rang.  The second time was when SJK's character in OB-GYN commented on the timing of something.  Given that it was him saying the line, it was truly a DotS flashback!  Sounded the same and everything.  The only difference was that he trailed off after saying, "The timing..." without ever saying "The timing is weird," as he did in DotS. 

And finally, the best (most hilarious?) moment.  I went on a mini road trip this weekend and, as I was driving, had the DotS soundtrack on in the background.  Just as the song switched to "You Are My Everything," in the distance, no joke, two Army helicopters flew by.  Hahahaha.  It was so awesome.  If only ropes had dropped and YSJ had come to save me from some traffic jams.  ;) 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

But they really are just eating ramen only LOL!!! Even in the dark if ramen slurping is consider racy I dunno what is wrong with these people. HAHA

That's because, as KMY's mother would say, they're two Innocents.  ;)

KMY did ask him what was up with the insincere 19+ invitation though (again, Viki's translations), and his response was that he was being sincere; that's when he pulled out the ramen packets. 

I can totally see how, in general, it'd be used as a pick-up line.  A guy and a girl are out late together, one of them asks the other if they want to come over for ramen.  It's an innocent enough sounding question because ramen is often eaten as a late night snack, but once you have someone over to your house at that hour . . . . who knows what will happen next.  *eye waggle* 

I guess it's the S. Korean version of, "Want to come up and see my etchings?" pick-up line, if you're familiar with that saying.  (If not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching#.22Etchings.22_euphemism)

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

But they really are just eating ramen only LOL!!! Even in the dark if ramen slurping is consider racy I dunno what is wrong with these people. HAHA

I think it's just the implication behind the words. In order to eat ramen, SJ and MY would have to be in the same space. On a normal date, this would be akin to SJ inviting MY into his house...where it's just the two of them... alone. ;) So it would be implying that he wants to be alone with her and usually being alone in a man's house right after a date leads to sexy time. 

@themarchioness I laughed hard at the mini road trip part of your post. :lol:

Am I the only one who wants MY saying "jeonhwa, jeonhwa" as a ringtone? [Along with about a billion other lines from this drama...]

17 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Am I the only one who wants MY saying "jeonhwa, jeonhwa" as a ringtone? [Along with about a billion other lines from this drama...]

I had to share that moment with you guys! I fear its significance would be lost on most of my other (non-Kdrama watching) friends. :P  Only you guys would really get it/appreciate it.

And now that you mention it, yes! That would make a great ringtone!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

That's because, as KMY's mother would say, they're two Innocents.  ;)

KMY did ask him what was up with the insincere 19+ invitation though (again, Viki's translations), and his response was that he was being sincere; that's when he pulled out the ramen packets. 

I can totally see how, in general, it'd be used as a pick-up line.  A guy and a girl are out late together, one of them asks the other if they want to come over for ramen.  It's an innocent enough sounding question because ramen is often eaten as a late night snack, but once you have someone over to your house at that hour . . . . who knows what will happen next.  *eye waggle* 

I guess it's the S. Korean version of, "Want to come up and see my etchings?" pick-up line, if you're familiar with that saying.  (If not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching#.22Etchings.22_euphemism)

I thought that's more like the whole...want to go to my house to see a movie...or have a late night coffee. Hmm...I rather have the ramen...and not the late night whatcha call it...the ramen is more appealing XD

31 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I think it's just the implication behind the words. In order to eat ramen, SJ and MY would have to be in the same space. On a normal date, this would be akin to SJ inviting MY into his house...where it's just the two of them... alone. ;) So it would be implying that he wants to be alone with her and usually being alone in a man's house right after a date leads to sexy time. 

I dunno about the alone portion LOL! Their chef Gi Beom was all ready waiting for his pick up lines and etc etc to go cook their ramen!

• Like 8

@melissala Hey, it's already Monday in Korea so technically you're right on time! ;) I was about to do the same and start jotting down notes for eps 1 &2 since I'm about to start my 4th marathon watch...

23 hours ago, melissala said:

I agree, that's what he might think but I disagree that was a rejection.  She did not say yes, but she did not say no.  He also told her to think about it, and was actually the one to walk away from her after she gave him first aid.  She also eventually did accept him after that, without fully rejecting him before hand.  I do see your point in that he again basically asked her to confess and she didn't say anything, so maybe technically she rejected him, but I don't think that's fair to say she did right then.  It also wasn't really the right time moment to focus on their romance considering what she just had to do. 

Though then the next day he mentioned the three rejections, and that she's probably upset she didn't accept him and was worried about her.  So, while I can see his POV, I don't think it's fair to call that a rejection. I'll give him two rejections of course though. :P  It's like him saying she wrecked three cars, she didn't.  He can't count.  There's was only two and the third he was the one driving. 

Hahaha... yeah well... as far as SJ was concerned though, it was probably a rejection. That silence... that hesitation. I know. I've done it before to someone way back when in my youth. Heh heh heh... I simply did not say anything because I was unsure, and let it simply die a natural death. I'm sure the guy read it as a rejection. :P So... methinks our Captain can count still. For sure better than our Sergeant. Hahaha...

• Like 6

19 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Can I start something new here? I have been quite curious.

1. WHAT MAKES YOU WATCH DOTS?

2. WHAT MAKES YOU TOTALLY LOVE IT AND GOT SO HOOKED?

1. I had seen all the trailers before the start of the show and must say, the one of SJK doing the pull ups caught my attention, though not enough for me to actually look him up online - his was a name I had heard of but never followed. The few times I did see his pics, I really thought he was too pretty. But like I always say, look what a couple of years in the military has done for him. Hahaha... But his is a look I know most guys dislike. My hubby, nephew, male buddies - ALL of them cannot understand what it is about him that girls fancy. Hahaha... Then I saw the trailer of him with Song Hye Kyo - and I like her - got me putting the start date on my calendar to watch it. 

2. I got hooked from the first episode. Gotta admit the opening sequence with that minor confrontation with N. Korea got me intrigued. Part of me wished they had continued on a stronger story arc between them and N. Korea, but I reckon it wouldn't have sold as far and wide if that were the focus or basis of their story. And then of course, the love story between KMY and YSJ got me. I love the sincerity both characters came to the story with. Even KMY's struggles were very real and I could understand that. Somehow that moved away significantly from the Kdramas of old where there was a lot of pushing and pulling and pure teenage type of dramatic angst that got too tiring to watch after a while. Maybe in a play, like R&J where you need to squeeze all that angst into 2 hours, but for a long drawn drama, nah. I'm over those types of shows. I found KMY to be a realistic characterisation of (asian) women today. And of course, SDY+YSJ. Every boy needs a friendship like the one those 2 had. I wasn't so much into SDY and YMJ's relationship - I thought there was indeed too much pulling and pushing with that one, and I, like YSJ, would tell SDY that he's such a fool. Heh...

• Like 10

@themarchioness' road trip sighting - WIN! Hahaha... I find myself also using many things that happened in DOTS as analogy for things I want to explain to people. hahaha... Ah... the wonderful world of seeing relevance through KDramas. Only 2 dramas have made me this active on Soompi - YongPal and now DOTS. Why? I must give it to the acting. The cast for both shows were very well chosen. You can see care went into picking the entire cast, including the supporting characters. 

And yes, @phikyl, @kristy86 (Please keep the gifs and pics coming, repeat them, I don't care! I love them!), @melissala and whoever is doing timed rewatch from this week starting with ep 1 & 2 - LET'S DO IT!

• Like 9

@gilaswan I'm currently working my way through the early pages of the thread so don't worry! I will have plenty of gifs and pictures incoming when I post. Lol! [Side note: Major thanks to all the early posters who were making gifs while doing live recaps. :wub:

I too, was not very interested in the love story between DY and MJ. I much preferred the refreshing take on modern relationships coming from SJ and MY. DY and MJ's relationship seemed to be the one that covered the typical tropes; meddling father, different status, etc so I didn't ever question what would happen with them. I already knew because we've seen it in every other drama out there. Lol!

@CatWhiskers Just for you! I have a whole library of Captain Smitten gifs to share! :D

Gif Party!

Spoiler

2084065637_17484d2a_zpsbgctsi1b.gif

xU1Eih3_zpsgshgvsmm.gifMUW1WV5_zpswzotsowe.gifBSOAD3z_zpsqgmucbhr.gifB8hWJtN_zpsacrujeeb.gif

And that's a drop in the bucket for gifs I've accumulated over the past few days. :lol:

I don't normally do this, but since so many of you hankered after a pregnancy story, I thought I'd share a sneak peak of the beginnings of my Project for the Week.  It's still untitled and very much a work in progress, which means it may get edited, but far this is what I have so far.  What do you think? 

Spoiler

Doc Pyo, also known as Pyo Ji Soo, was just pouring herself a cup of tea when her colleague and best friend, Kang Mo Yeon, came lumbering none too gracefully through her office door. 

"Yah, what are you doing here?” she asked.  Last time she’d checked the clock it was already 8 pm.  The only reason she was still at work was because she was on night duty that week.

“I’m on call tonight,” Mo Yeon said, as she settled herself as best she could in the chair across from her friend’s desk and tried not to look too uncomfortable.  Even if she did feel like a freight train had settled somewhere on her back.  Hips.  Bladder.  Ankles.  Pretty much everywhere.  The only problem was if she dared to voice those complaints, her colleagues would send her home, which was the last place she wanted to be.  Even if it meant walking around in discomfort, she much preferred being at work. 

“Again?”

Mo Yeon shrugged.  “Are you going to share your tea with me or not?”

“What’s wrong with your department,” Doc Pyo asked.  She dug out another mug for her friend.  “You’d think they’d cut a pregnant woman some slack.”

“Don’t be mad on my behalf.”  Mo Yeon accepted the cup of tea and took a sip of the warm liquid, letting it soothe her insides.  “They wanted to cut me from the on call list this last month, but I insisted they keep me on.”

“What’s wrong with you?  You’re eight months pregnant and look like you’re about ready to burst.  You shouldn’t even be working let alone handling on call duties.  As a doctor, you should know how important it is for you and the baby to get rest.”

“You sound like my mother,” Mo Yeon grumbled.

“You should listen to your mother.  This time,” Doc Pyo added, lifting her own mug for a sip.

“Don’t nag me.  Let me work.  There’ll be plenty of time to rest once the baby comes.”

“Once the baby comes, you’ll be running around after the baby,” her friend wisely predicted.  “I really think you should go home.  Call another doctor to take your place tonight.  What about Dr. Song?  I bet he’d take your shift for you.  Or better yet, call Dr. Kim.  There’s no way she can no to you in this situation.”

Mo Yeon shot her friend an incredulous look.  “And risk the lives of all our patients?  Never!  No thank you.  I think it’d be better for me to stick it out.”

“Where are you going to sleep tonight?  In the call room?  How can you possibly be comfortable in one of those tiny beds?  Will you and your stomach even fit?”

“Let it go.” Mo Yeon sounded tired all of the sudden.  “Let me be.  It’s better for me to be at work where I can stay busy.  The distraction . . . it’s good for me.”

Doc Pyo reached for her friend’s hand.  “Still no word?”

Mo Yeon shook her head wordlessly and Doc Pyo patted her hand sympathetically.  “Drink up,” she told her.

#####

Having children hadn’t been on their radars. 

It’d been on their parents radars, naturally.  But not on theirs.  At least, not for now.  Mo Yeon was busy trying to make a name for herself at the hospital where she worked.  And her husband, Major Yoo Shi Jin, well, he was busy trying to save the world.  At least, that’s how she liked to put it.

But things didn’t always work out as planned, and about eight months earlier, they’d received the surprise of their life when Mo Yeon took a pregnancy test and it was returned positive.

The revelation had started ironically enough with dinner at her mother’s house, where they’d been pestered to death about having kids.

“Yeh, is there still no news?”

Mo Yeon and Shi Jin looked at each other.  The former rolled her eyes before turning back to her mother to answer.  “Nope, no news.

“Why not?  Is there something wrong?  Are you having problems?  Or is it Yoo-seobang?  Yoo-seobang, is everything okay?  You're not having any problems are you?”

Shi Jin started choking on the rice he’d just put in his mouth. 

“Eomma!”  Mo Yeon handed her husband a napkin as she glared at her mother, but her mother was not to be deterred.  Plus, she had the innocent act down to a pat.  “You’ve been married for almost a year.  Isn’t it only natural to wonder?  Yoo seobang, have some more of this kimchi.  I made it special, just for you.  I know how much you like my kimchi.”

“Thank you, Eommoni.”

Mo Yeon knew exactly what her mother was up to and wasn’t about to be sidetracked.  “There’s nothing wrong and there’s no need to ask such pointed questions.  We already told you, we’re not ready for kids right now.”

“Alright, alright, I heard you the first time.  There’s no need to yell.  Yoo-seobang, have some more of this beef.  I made it just for you.  You need to keep your strength up at a time like this.”

“Thank you, Eommoni.”  This time, it was his turn to be on the receiving end of Mo Yeon’s glare.  Later on, in the car, she turned to him and asked how he could have just sat there eating as if nothing was going on.

“What was I supposed to say?” Shi Jin asked. 

“You could have agreed with me.”

“You were speaking for the both of us.  And it’s not like I can talk to your mother in the same way,” he pointed out.  “It’d be disrespectful.”

Mo Yeon crossed her arms and turned away huffily.  “Oh, whatever, I give up.  I don’t care.  Just don’t expect me to say anything the next time we have dinner with your father.”

“My father never asks us when we’re going to have kids.”

She hated when her husband was right.  “No, but I bet he’s thinking it.”

Shi Jin laughed good-naturedly.  “You’re probably right.”

A few seconds later, Mo Yeon shifted in her seat.

“Is everything okay?”

She clamped a hand over her mouth.  “Yoo Shi Jin-ssi.”

Her husband looked over.  “What’s the matter?  Are you suddenly not feeling well?”

“I think I’m going to throw up.”

“What?  Right now?  Just hold on for a few minutes.  We’re almost home.  Think of Big Boss; you don’t want to ruin another car.”

If she’d been feeling better, Mo Yeon would’ve hit him for the last comment, but all she could do was nod her head in agreement and do as instructed. 

The minute Shi Jin pulled the car in front of her house, now their house, she was unbuckled and running for the front door.  When she finally emerged from the bathroom, her husband had lit some candles, which he knew would help soothe her, and poured her a glass of water.  “How are you feeling?” he asked.

“It’s weird,” she said, rolling up the sleeves of the shirt she’d changed into and walking over to join him at the kitchen island.  “I feel better now that I’ve thrown up.”

He put a hand up to her forehead.  “Any signs of a fever?  Are you sure you’re not coming down with something?”

She shook her head.  “I feel fine.  In fact . . . I’m kind of hungry.”

Shi Jin stared at her.  “Come again?”

“I could really eat right now.  Would you order something for me?”

“Yeobo.  We just had dinner.”

“I know, but I could really go for some dolbi right now.”

Though he could hardly believe her, he did what any good husband would do under the circumstances and ordered her a carry out order of dolsot bibimbap.  He then watched in amazement as she polished off the entire bowl.  “Feel better now?”

“Much.”

The next night, it was a near repeat of the day before, except this time, she’d craved ramen.  Army style.  “I don’t have any night vision goggles on hand, but I’ll call up Kim Gi Bum Ha-sa and see if he can come over and cook the ramen for you.” 

The third night, after he’d had to call up Kim Gi Bum Ha-sa again for a refresher on how to make samgyetang, Shi Jin put his foot down.  “Something’s not right.  You’re a doctor.  You have to realize this is not normal.  I think you’d better make an appointment and get checked out.”

Which is how they found out that instead of morning sickness, Mo Yeon was suffering from night sickness and pregnancy food cravings.

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I don't normally do this, but since so many of you hankered after a pregnancy story, I thought I'd share a sneak peak of the beginnings of my Project for the Week.  It's still untitled and very much a work in progress, which means it may get edited, but far this is what I have so far.  What do you think? 

Hide contents

Doc Pyo, also known as Pyo Ji Soo, was just pouring herself a cup of tea when her colleague and best friend, Kang Mo Yeon, came lumbering none too gracefully through her office door. 

"Yah, what are you doing here?” she asked.  Last time she’d checked the clock it was already 8 pm.  The only reason she was still at work was because she was on night duty that week.

“I’m on call tonight,” Mo Yeon said, as she settled herself as best she could in the chair across from her friend’s desk and tried not to look too uncomfortable.  Even if she did feel like a freight train had settled somewhere on her back.  Hips.  Bladder.  Ankles.  Pretty much everywhere.  The only problem was if she dared to voice those complaints, her colleagues would send her home, which was the last place she wanted to be.  Even if it meant walking around in discomfort, she much preferred being at work. 

“Again?”

“What’s wrong with your department,” Doc Pyo asked.  She dug out another mug for her friend.  “You’d think they’d cut a pregnant woman some slack.”

“Don’t be mad on my behalf.”  Mo Yeon accepted the cup of tea and took a sip of the warm liquid, letting it soothe her insides.  “They wanted to cut me from the on call list this last month, but I insisted they keep me on.”

“What’s wrong with you?  You’re eight months pregnant and look like you’re about ready to burst.  You shouldn’t even be working let alone handling on call duties.  As a doctor, you should know how important it is for you and the baby to get rest.”

“You should listen to your mother.  This time,” Doc Pyo added, lifting her own mug for a sip.

“Don’t nag me.  Let me work.  There’ll be plenty of time to rest once the baby comes.”

“Once the baby comes, you’ll be running around after the baby,” her friend wisely predicted.  “I really think you should go home.  Call another doctor to take your place tonight.  What about Dr. Song?  I bet he’d take your shift for you.  Or better yet, call Dr. Kim.  There’s no way she can no to you in this situation.”

Mo Yeon shot her friend an incredulous look.  “And risk the lives of all our patients?  Never!  No thank you.  I think it’d be better for me to stick it out.”

“Where are you going to sleep tonight?  In the call room?  How can you possibly be comfortable in one of those tiny beds?  Will you and your stomach even fit?”

“Let it go.” Mo Yeon sounded tired all of the sudden.  “Let me be.  It’s better for me to be at work where I can stay busy.  The distraction . . . it’s good for me.”

Mo Yeon shook her head wordlessly and Doc Pyo patted her hand sympathetically.  “Drink up,” she told her.

#####

It’d been on their parents radars, naturally.  But not on theirs.  At least, not for now.  Mo Yeon was busy trying to make a name for herself at the hospital where she worked.  And her husband, Major Yoo Shi Jin, well, he was busy trying to save the world.  At least, that’s how she liked to put it.

But things didn’t always work out as planned, and about eight months earlier, they’d received the surprise of their life when Mo Yeon took a pregnancy test and it was returned positive.

The revelation had started ironically enough with dinner at her mother’s house, where they’d been pestered to death about having kids.

Mo Yeon and Shi Jin looked at each other.  The former rolled her eyes before turning back to her mother to answer.  “Nope, no news.

“Why not?  Is there something wrong?  Are you having problems?  Or is it Yoo-seobang?  Yoo-seobang, is everything okay?  You're not having any problems are you?”

“Eomma!”  Mo Yeon handed her husband a napkin as she glared at her mother, but her mother was not to be deterred.  Plus, she had the innocent act down to a pat.  “You’ve been married for almost a year.  Isn’t it only natural to wonder?  Yoo seobang, have some more of this kimchi.  I made it special, just for you.  I know how much you like my kimchi.”

“Thank you, Eommoni.”

Mo Yeon knew exactly what her mother was up to and wasn’t about to be sidetracked.  “There’s nothing wrong and there’s no need to ask such pointed questions.  We already told you, we’re not ready for kids right now.”

“Alright, alright, I heard you the first time.  There’s no need to yell.  Yoo-seobang, have some more of this beef.  I made it just for you.  You need to keep your strength up at a time like this.”

“Thank you, Eommoni.”  This time, it was his turn to be on the receiving end of Mo Yeon’s glare.  Later on, in the car, she turned to him and asked how he could have just sat there eating as if nothing was going on.

“You were speaking for the both of us.  And it’s not like I can talk to your mother in the same way,” he pointed out.  “It’d be disrespectful.”

Mo Yeon crossed her arms and turned away huffily.  “Oh, whatever, I give up.  I don’t care.  Just don’t expect me to say anything the next time we have dinner with your father.”

“Is everything okay?”

Her husband looked over.  “What’s the matter?  Are you suddenly not feeling well?”

“What?  Right now?  Just hold on for a few minutes.  We’re almost home.  Think of Big Boss; you don’t want to ruin another car.”

If she’d been feeling better, Mo Yeon would’ve hit him for the last comment, but all she could do was nod her head in agreement and do as instructed. 

The minute Shi Jin pulled the car in front of her house, now their house, she was unbuckled and running for the front door.  When she finally emerged from the bathroom, her husband had lit some candles, which he knew would help soothe her, and poured her a glass of water.  “How are you feeling?” he asked.

“It’s weird,” she said, rolling up the sleeves of the shirt she’d changed into and walking over to join him at the kitchen island.  “I feel better now that I’ve thrown up.”

He put a hand up to her forehead.  “Any signs of a fever?  Are you sure you’re not coming down with something?”

Though he could hardly believe her, he did what any good husband would do under the circumstances and ordered her a carry out order of dolsot bibimbap.  He then watched in amazement as she polished off the entire bowl.  “Feel better now?”

“Much.”

The next night, it was a near repeat of the day before, except this time, she’d craved ramen.  Army style.  “I don’t have any night vision goggles on hand, but I’ll call up Kim Gi Bum Ha-sa and see if he can come over and cook the ramen for you.” 

The third night, after he’d had to call up Kim Gi Bum Ha-sa again for a refresher on how to make samgyetang, Shi Jin put his foot down.  “Something’s not right.  You’re a doctor.  You have to realize this is not normal.  I think you’d better make an appointment and get checked out.”

Which is how they found out that instead of morning sickness, Mo Yeon was suffering from night sickness and pregnancy food cravings.

Please pm me all your stories to read :P

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Hide contents

“Again?”

#####

“Thank you, Eommoni.”

“Is everything okay?”

“Much.”

author-nim how come i can't see this to your asian fan fic? any new website/blog for your stories?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JackieOnTheRocks said:

author-nim how come i can't see this to your asian fan fic? any new website/blog for your stories?

Because it's still a work in progress and subject to editing/changes, I don't want to post it there yet. This is just a preview of what's to come. I'm sharing here only. Consider it a treat, if you will. :)

Once it's complete, I will post to asianfanfics.

• Like 6

I'm cheating too, I just watched ep 4 last night, lol... So we should watch ep 1 and 2 this week? Ok, roger that :D 

MY is amazing, she's so straightforward and honest, his heart must be fluttering when she said this, maybe this is why he decides to kiss her after thinking about 1000 times.  

ZUUTVha.gif

• Like 9