[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

@kokodus I think MY accepted SJ’s date request because she was as intrigued by him as he was by her. Not only is he a military man who gets picked up by a helicopter [and who wouldn’t be curious about why that is?] but he’s also the kind of man who would get in a fight with 17 guys to help a kid who stole a phone. There aren’t many people out there like that.

@melissala Exactly! He tries to do the same in later episodes but she doesn’t react the same because he’s already used that trick once. Plus, now she’s seen exactly how much pain he can endure without flinching. Lol!

@gilaswan For me, I think that SJ fell in love with MY when he saw her riding the gurney. He was definitely smitten at first sight/interaction but I think the gurney ride, with her covered in blood and ordering people to get out of the way, sealed the deal. As for MY, I think she fell in love with SJ when he shielded her from the Arab security team. I believe that, at first, SJ loved MY more than she loved him but by the time they leave Urk, it’s equal. SJ got to see more facets of MY in their first two dates than MY got to see of him. She doesn’t start seeing the layers that make up his character until Urk. So to me it makes sense that SJ fell in love with her right away but that it took more time for MY to catch up; she needed to get to know him first!

12 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I was also very sensitive to military things that went on - not know why you had to remove your dogtags and asking only 5mins before you drop where you are, is just nonsense. Hahahaha...

I very much interpret those types of scenes as being written for the sole purpose of providing an explanation for the viewers.  In the real world, there's no way Harry Potter wouldn't have already known that, even if he was the greenest member of the team and this was his first mission.  He would've had training beforehand and this sort of information would've been covered in his training, so why include it?  For the viewers who haven't had the benefit of the training. 

I recently watched Obstetrics & Gynecology with SJK and I swear, some of the things his character said sometimes, you kind of wanted to smack him a little.  But I just tried to remind myself that he was the "DotS Harry Potter" of that drama so some of the stuff he was saying was deliberately written so that his supervising physicians could provide the viewers with an explanation because, really, as a second year resident, he would've (or should've) already known it!  :P

29 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

@themarchioness Oh I haven't check subs from Viki. You need to pay to watch it right? I used an online streaming site to watch.  It wasn't so bad but I do know some trans are still off. And you are right about Drama fever. But I don't like that they summarize it. Sometimes it got kinda lost in translation. The impact of the original speech the character  (or in my case...I just focus on YSJ-KMY) say to each other. Lol. Anyhow, take care of your health while working! ;-)

You only have to pay Viki if you want to watch the drama as it's airing, otherwise it's on a 2-week delay for free users.  I wasn't able to start watching DotS immediately (work thing again) so once I had the time to watch, it was already almost halfway done.  I think I watched 1-6 free but after that one weekend in which I caught myself up, I knew there was no way I'd be able to sit around and wait when I knew there were new eps available to watch!  So i did pay for a one-month subscription.  Otherwise I usually watch through Dramafever, as I have a grandfathered subscription through that site.  But for DotS, they were on a 4-week delay (I think they're just getting to episodes 15 & 16 this week).

Anyway, update to the update (of my work thing).  Once again, good news and bad news.  The project got dropped in my lap this afternoon.  The good news is it needs to be completed by Monday afternoon, so there won't be a 1-2 week break from fic-writing as I'd anticipated.  More like 5 days.  But the bad news is, I need to start working on it immediately so I won't be able to finish my pregnancy story until then.  (So close to being done too, doh.)  So my question to you all is: would you like me to share an update in the meantime to tie you over until next week, or would you rather read it complete?  (I won't post it to Asianfanfics.com until it's complete.)

• Like 6

@themarchioness - We do the same thing, Watch with Dramafever and Viki. And must say Viki seems to have a better sub plus they have DOTS faster than Dramafever. Till now Dramafever still does not have the entire series. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, zashibear said:

@themarchioness - We do the same thing, Watch with Dramafever and Viki. And must say Viki seems to have a better sub plus they have DOTS faster than Dramafever. Till now Dramafever still does not have the entire series. 

It's a licensing thing.  Sometimes DF gets priority/exclusivity, other times Viki.  Viki got DotS first this time.  I don't mind waiting most times, but for DotS, nope.  Had to watch immediately.  :)

• Like 2

@phikyl Yes SJ is a mysterious guy and KMY must have been curious to know more about him. 

And yes i agree that both of them love each other equally. Since SJ was consistent from the beggining in showing his love, it may seem like SJ loves her more. KMY might have taken a long time to accept her own feelings and give in to him, but once they confirmed their relationship, they never once broke up. All credits go to KMY for maintaining their relationship through the odd times. She talked to him about her insecurities openly and guided him to make this work. The emotional stress she may undergo whenever he goes to the dept store and still she wants to continue this relationship proves that she loves him more. On the other hand YSJ doesn't face any real challenge to prove that he loves her more. But the fact that he waited patiently until she gives the green signal tells that she was the 'only one' for him.

• Like 8

@themarchioness I vote for "waiting till the whole thing completes".  Then I won't kill myself over it halfway. Lol. 

I never knew that about Viki. I guess I will watch from Viki now. Yay! Rewatch! 

Sidenote:- YSJ looks really good in white shirt in Ep 2. I thought it sweet he waited for her right in front of her house. It shows how serious he is to make amends and also to make things work. He even dresses up, having just return from a mission, he should be dead tired. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

@lizzyd Oh me!! Me! I want it. Thank u so much. The subs are always off. Even Drama fever got them off. It vexes me that we as non-native Koreans get watered down translations. T.T 

@themarchioness Thank u dear! I hope despite being busy with ur new project, you would still drop by here. We don't want to miss you completely.  :-( 

@lizzyd I sent you a PM too. Me, please!!

@themarchioness Fighting!

My recent bad day was also because of my work - need to do some significant re-writes on a piece of work I'm dealing with, which means my fics will also slow down... but I do find that writing those fics help me to de-stress (and no kdrama has inspired me to write my own fics until DOTS!) Aigoo... write to destress from more writing. I think my life is basically all about writing. Ack. 

• Like 6

Song-Song couple to miss ‘Descendants’ concert

The record-breaking viewership and popularity of KBS2 drama “Descendants of the Sun” has led to an upcoming soundtrack concert with, but the stars of the drama, Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo, will be unable to attend. 

On Wednesday, both stars’ agencies respectively commented that the two would be absent from the concert due to prior commitments. 

The concert will feature artists who participated in the drama’s soundtrack such as Gummy, Lyn, SG Wannabe, Mad Clown and more. 

The cast of the drama including Kim Ji-won, Jin Goo, and Lee Seung-jun will hold small talk sessions in-between performances to communicate with the audience. 

“Descendants of the Sun Soundtrack (OST) Concert” will be held twice on Saturday, at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., at the Grand Peace Palace of Kyung Hee University in Seoul.

By Jung Min-kyung (mkj1105@heraldcorp.com) 

• Like 3

Descendants of the Sun’ set restoration faces budget roadblock

There has been no progress on work to restore the set of “Descendants of the Sun,” due to a struggle between the Tourism Ministry and the city government over the budget, according to Yonhap News Agency on Wednesday. 

On March 22, mayor of Taebaek in Gangwon Province Kim Yeon-shik partnered with Jung Chang-soo, the head of the Korea Tourism Organization, to draw up plans to promote the site as a tourist attraction.

Prospects for restoration were quite positive at the time, as Korean president Park Geun-hye credited “Descendants of the Sun” for the global penetration of Korean culture in a March meeting with senior presidential secretaries.

After the announcement, the city government of Taebaek asked the Tourism Ministry to allocate some 2 billion won ($1.71 million) -- the estimated cost of restoration -- from the national budget, which was originally meant to be used to revitalize the area around the closed mine in other ways.

However, the Ministry opposed the reallocation of the budget, citing poor accessibility from the Seoul metropolitan area. It also claims that, as the popularity of the drama is not likely to last long, the profitability of the project is hard to ensure.

The set was built on a disused coal mine located in the remote Taebaek mountain range. Currently, little remains of the set, as production staff returned the site to its previous condition when they left. 

According to the Yonhap News Agency report, some 1,300 tourists visited the location during the Children‘s Day long weekend from May 5 to May 8.

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@themarchioness Fighting!

My recent bad day was also because of my work - need to do some significant re-writes on a piece of work I'm dealing with, which means my fics will also slow down... but I do find that writing those fics help me to de-stress (and no kdrama has inspired me to write my own fics until DOTS!) Aigoo... write to destress from more writing. I think my life is basically all about writing. Ack. 

I feel you, @gilaswan.  Writing has always been a great de-stressor for me as well.  I've only ever written for one other fandom and that was mostly through college and grad school.  Once I didn't have the pressures of schoolwork to balance, my urge to write waned.  Plus, like you, a lot of my work revolves around writing so when I'm not working, I'd much rather relax by watching a Kdrama.  ;)  But DotS has really inspired me to pick up the pen again.  (Yay, DotS!)  It's tempting to keep writing fanfic on the side these next 5 days, because it does help with the de-stressing, but it's also a distraction.  This project's pretty important so I'm trying to maintain my focus.  (I'm easily distracted.  :P )

I hope your day was better today!!

P.S. I just have to add that this thread is such a comfort during stressful times.  *group hug*  :D

17 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Have never tried Viki before. Does it only serve the US market? I know I cannot access Dramafever over here. 

I think it depends on the licenses they get for each drama?  Not sure.  But according to their DotS page, it says its licensed regions are: Americas, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Romania, Sweden, Spain, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Russia, Austria, Finland, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iran

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Have never tried Viki before. Does it only serve the US market? I know I cannot access Dramafever over here. 

No, it's accessible in other countries too. Like @themarchioness said, it just depends on the licensing. You should definitely see if your region has access to DotS. 

25 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I feel you, @gilaswan.  Writing has always been a great de-stressor for me as well.  I've only ever written for one other fandom and that was mostly through college and grad school.  Once I didn't have the pressures of schoolwork to balance, my urge to write waned.  Plus, like you, a lot of my work revolves around writing so when I'm not working, I'd much rather relax by watching a Kdrama.  ;)  But DotS has really inspired me to pick up the pen again.  (Yay, DotS!)  It's tempting to keep writing fanfic on the side these next 5 days, because it does help with the de-stressing, but it's also a distraction.  This project's pretty important so I'm trying to maintain my focus.  (I'm easily distracted.  :P )

I hope your day was better today!!

P.S. I just have to add that this thread is such a comfort during stressful times.  *group hug*  :D

I think it depends on the licenses they get for each drama?  Not sure.  But according to their DotS page, it says its licensed regions are: Americas, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Romania, Sweden, Spain, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Russia, Austria, Finland, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iran

My day today is... pretty much as it was 2 days ago. This gif pretty much sums up my life right now. 

giphy.gif

That's why I need DOTS, yo... 

And from what you posted, looks like Viki doesn't serve my location either. It's alright. This euro-americentric perspective of technology access always somehow finds its way to disadvantage me and my countrymen. Hahaha... it's alright. I can live with it. Most of the time. Hahaha...

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

My day today is... pretty much as it was 2 days ago. This gif pretty much sums up my life right now. 

That's why I need DOTS, yo... 

If I wasn't in the same boat, I'd whip you up a fic to make you feel better.  I guess we'll just have to both hang in there!

Too bad about Viki. :(

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

If I wasn't in the same boat, I'd whip you up a fic to make you feel better.  I guess we'll just have to both hang in there!

Too bad about Viki. :(

kwenchanayo. ;) I have Viu. Heh... It's just irritating cos many people pass us over because we're situated in Southeast Asia. Yet our official working language is English - we have a very strange linguistic positioning as the only Asian country whose working (and teaching) language is English. But America forgets us all the time. So apps are frequently not released to us by developers on the App store (unless you write to the developers, which I have). Or like Viki and Dramafever - they think we are in pirate-land. Hahaha... Neither Asian nor Anglo. Confused is what we are. Hahaha... but I digress.

All I want is access to good English subs. :D 

Meantime, I'm dreaming up my next fic.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

In my country we can access Viki via application thru Apple or android. but no DOTS yet in the list of shows...and not all drama available also... I never access dramafever for streaming.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

@themarchioness I vote for "waiting till the whole thing completes".  Then I won't kill myself over it halfway. Lol. 

I never knew that about Viki. I guess I will watch from Viki now. Yay! Rewatch! 

Sidenote:- YSJ looks really good in white shirt in Ep 2. I thought it sweet he waited for her right in front of her house. It shows how serious he is to make amends and also to make things work. He even dresses up, having just return from a mission, he should be dead tired. 

I guess that's what made his character so attractive (and therefore successful) in the eyes of many. I do wonder how other male characters in stories to come can top this hence. Tall order. The man is dashing, suave, caring, attentive, sincere, patient (oh the patience!), persistent but not annoying... wow... I can imagine how much we will have to say about what he does when we reach episodes where they're officially in a relationship!

For now though, I remember reading somewhere (much earlier in this thread) that suggested that between MoYeon's and SiJin's character, there was a lot more development in KMY than YSJ. Any thoughts on this? 

Also, @phikyl - share the rest of your notes! If it's too much text in a single post, break it into thematic installments. Heh... Gives us more to things to look forward to reading!

• Like 7