[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Uh? Dangkise has a wife and kids??? What the...? :))

Did SN really say that she will rule Yuan? Like for real? That's a pretty bold statement coming from an Empress/Queen. Unless you are like the heir of the throne such as Mary of Scottland (watching the show Reign right now) or Elizabeth and Mary from England, you don't go just saying things like that. That's a statement that could be considered treason. So i am wondering if they are going to keep the fact like the real Ki trying to have the emperor abdicate in order to make Ayu the Emperor instead. And in this, if he's still a child then she would act as a regent kinda like what ET wanted to do with Maha and Tana. That would definitely leave a bitter taste in TH's mouth because he would be reminded of it.

Hello, just a little message for the fans of Jeong Guk-hwan, he will be the chairman of a hospital and the father of Doctor Oh (actress Kang Sora), it isn't a very big role but a crucial role in the sequence of events in this new medical spy drama "Doctor Stranger" on SBS during the spring 2014 ! Look the link for this drama http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2021748/upcoming-drama-2014-doctor-stranger-%EB%8B%A5%ED%84%B0%EC%9D%B4%EB%B0%A9%EC%9D%B8-starring-lee-jong-suk-and-park-hae-jin/p1

tessieroo said:
@BettyS - YES! DK did say that! What the...okay, so which of you knew he had a wife & children?  :-w  (subs could possibly be wrong so don't hold me to it)
@rinchan76 - That would surprise me too (if TH suddenly got upset over SN wanting to help Goryeo) Back when they were on the beach, she asked him to stop using Goryeo people as slaves so it's not like he's unaware of her loyalty to Goryeo - he even agreed. 
Whatever eventually causes a rift between them, I'll be surprised if it's anything to do with Goryeo. 

I must be the only one who actually wanted her to turn evil. I expressed that desire from the beginning though i don't want any JOJ nonsense with her as in the last version of JOJ aka the bipolar version. Though i would have liked it to have happen like 10 episodes ago, you know LOL I am just thinking of what Hokso (whatever his name was again) said about her having an evil side to her then the shaman lady sensing a dark presence right before SN entered the room.
I just don't want her to be turn into a cartoon like Tana. I had a hard time taking her seriously half the time. They should have portrayed her more like Anne Boylen. That girl was a b* but she did have some humanity. Showing TanaSilly just cry everytime she wasn't getting her way or over the child she murdered people over doesn't really warm my heart, sorry. That's the issue with Korean Dramas, their writing of their villains (let alone their heroes) makes me scratch my head sometimes.
Someone brought up another good character comparison when referring to how the new Empress could be. Honestly, even if she's SN next opponent, i'll be her fan if she's anything like Margaery Tyrell (i think my love for that character is reinforced by Natalie Dormer *biased toward sexy mama* :)) ) Art of manipulation with a smile.

^ I'm not sure how the English subs were translated, but in the C subs, it was never implied that Mr. Cripple and the Shamen thought/sensed she was 'evil' or 'dark'.
Mr. C said that from her looks/facial features, she looks to be majestic, as in someone who is meant to be in a greater status then a slave woman.
As with the shamen, she just said that she 'senses a aura that makes her uncomfortable' as in maybe someone of great power is approaching her.
But yah, you are definitely not alone in hoping that SN would turn bad/evil/merciless.  I was always expecting her to go that direction from the start when I knew what this drama is like.
I mean she'd shown some bada$$ attitude in the last 10 episodes or so, let's see how much further she'll go in the remaining 13 episodes (for now since there haven't been any confirmed news of an extension).
By the way, JCW uploaded that comparison photo @CherKell posted a few pages back of him and Ayu
13110999375_635b53ecea_o.png

@pegster the great is back - all together now: "Let's dance"    hapydancsmil.gif

I'm happy you understand what I mean - what right does ET have to die with dignity and honor? And if feels like too many things are happening (or not happening ) for the sake of the plot. Example: 
 - SN tells ET about Maya not being his blood Grandson but in private - with no one else around. (this allows her to dash his hopes but without harming Maha/Byul)  - TJ's body is tied to a pole but only ET sees him - on his way to see TH - TN is thrown into the Cold Palace therefore doesn't witness ET's death or see TJ's body - ET is allowed to give a speech, which throws suspicion on SN (allows for more conflict in the future) - DK escapes therefore doesn't witness what's happened - allows for conflict, he's not done yet?
I can't imagine what will happen to SN in the future to turn her evil? I mean, if losing her parents, losing her freedom, losing her lover, losing her friends and then losing her child didn't turn her evil - what on earth would? insomnia.gif
I wonder if JCW saw those images from @Cherkell's Twitter or something? SO CUTE! 

All that smack!
It all started with little bit of jealousy by Tanasmirky:bd77359bjw1eecrrxicg8g208w0504jn.gif

Then El maid thought it was ok to smack our future Empress:bd77359bjw1eecrpezdctg208w050u0x.gif

Now is pay back time!  
A smack here!bd77359bjw1eecryh14w1g208w050b29.gif

A smack there!bd77359bjw1eecsb4raazg208w050nn0.gif

Here a smack! There a smack!bd77359bjw1eecrlj5ydgg208w0504k9.gif

Everywhere a smack!bd77359bjw1eecrmrwh2kg208w050azp.gif

@tessieroo maybe TN will see her father and brothers body posted up front like ET saw his son's body.
In regards to SN being evil I once mentioned: When SN went to WG and decided to work under him, she changed her name to SeungNyang. One reason, of course, was to give herself a masculine identity. However this name change takes on a symbolic meaning, although the translator translated her male name as the jackal, the word SeungNyangi translates directly to the word dhole (aka asiatic wild dog). These dogs are closely related to jackals (so it is possible the name is used interchangeably) and of course the name jackal sounds more intimidating than dhole and more catchy than asiatic wild dog, but something, meaningful was lost in the translation. A person characterized as a jackal bears the connotation of someone who does or carries out criminal tasks on behalf of someone else. They are seen as villains or swindlers. Now it can be argued that she did do those things for WG, she was his lackey after all, but the interesting thing is that the dhole (sometimes called devil dog of all things) is the inspiration for the hellhound or bearers of death. If you have a hellhound on your trail you are basically marked for death. (funny enough it was the hellhound, cerberus, that was chasing SN in her dreams)Knowing this I find it interesting that she used this name as oppose to another masculanized form of her true name. The name Seung Nyang is actually the name for her alter ego. SeungNyang comes out at her most wicked moments (normally when facing an enemy). This persona manifested the moment she vowed to avenge her mother. Even now that SN is living in Yuan as Nyang, we saw SeunNyang appear again when she set the witches place on fire (I loved that scene mind you). The feel of that moment was "Oh badass SN is back." When she stated "you fear the gods, but you do not fear me" gives us a glimpse into the persona of SeungNyang, she is dark and commanding. It is reminiscent of when she told YA "not to even think of touching her, because even death (grim reaper) fears to touch her," she was quite menacing and struck fear into YA's heart. SeungNyang is the dark fear inducing part of Nyang.  
If we think on SN's actions, she does not take on a pious nature, if you slap her she will not give you the other cheek, but more like plan to have you humiliated and publicly punished (reference YA slapped SN, and SN got her paddled in return  :)) ) Although SN has evil tendencies she uses it towards the greater good. Even if SN were to decide to rule the world it wouldn't be such a bad thing because, she will not make the Yuan people suffer, she would probably be a just ruler (and definitely a capable). SN just has a tendency for vigilante justice (or something along those lines). I am actually wondering what type of evil people want to see in SN?  

I love that we finally see the demise of El Temur and the fall of his clan but it was a little anticlimactic for me. We all knew it was coming and it took 37 episodes to get there. I also love that Ta Hwan has finally taken on his role as Emperor fully. He was so fearless and brave in this episode as was Seung Nyang. 
As with many of you, I am anxious about the upcoming episodes too. There will definitely be rift between Ta Hwan and Seung Nyang as that is how relationships work. It’s not always continuous bliss. ET already planted seeds of doubt in Empress Dowager and Ta Hwan as his parting gift. The question is what will be the trigger for the rift, Maha’s identity, the new Empress, Seung Nyang’s drive now to become Empress with her dark side becoming more prevalent? or is it a combination of these things that cause it. 
They say that all people have a good side and dark side with most people leaning towards the good side. Dark side does not necessarily mean evil just a more colder, unfeeling side. It seems that Seung Nyang’s dark side is something that she keeps repressed and only do we see glimpses of it. In her original quest for revenge on Ta Hwan it was Wang Yoo in the dream sequence that reminded her of the consequences of her actions, and Lady Park who again reminded her of what would happen if she acted on her attempt to kill Ta Hwan. In her no mercy approach to El Temur and clan we can see the coldness in her eyes but it does cause her to confront her ambitions. 
It’s interesting @rinchan76 that you mentioned the use of two names Seung Nyang and Nyang and how they represent the two sides of her. Ta Hwan is the one who calls her Nyang. I think her relationship with Ta Hwan has been able to help keep her dark side at bay and from taking over. Her dark side surfaces with her return to the palace to exact revenge for all that she lost. That may explain the cold looks on her face when they hugged a few times initially. Ta Hwan always been able to reach her humanity with his love and now with their family. What happens now if his love for her is tested and he starts to doubt her? with Maha’s identity being revealed, and the new Empress, Seung Nyang’s ambition to become Empress? I think she will definitely fight to stay by Ta Hwan’s side, protect her family, and if they, meaning the writers must push it, for the greater good of Goryeo which may be somehow misunderstood by Ta Hwan. There are so many variables that make the upcoming episodes very exciting.
If the rift between them is inevitable, I hope it’s only for a few episodes and that they will be able to work through it and come back together stronger than ever against their enemies which it seems like ED, Bayan and the new Empress are positioned to be. Despite what history says, I want them to fight for their love. After all they have been through, I want them support each other, love and be with each other to the end. The drama has never followed history closely, why should it now?  

@rinchan76 great post about SN!
@tessiero
This is my mind convincing myself that the writers are making sense.
If SN does change for the worst (which I am looking forward to), I can kind of see what leads her to the change.
When she first returned for the concubine selection, DM told her to leave, but she told DM that she's returning not to gain power for herself, but to reach a position of power so that she can help fellow Goryeo people who are suffering. 
Right from her return to the palace, it was always her goal to reach a position of power.
During all this time, that has been secondary to her as her primary goal is to eliminate the ET Clan.  She's been occupied with planning how to defeat ET.
We've already seen some signs of SN eyeing the Empress position, although not distinct.  When SN went to take MaHa away from Tanasmirky from the cold palace, before leaving, she said 'You better hurry.  A home left empty for too long will welcome a new master' as in your Empress' quarters will be replaced by someone else.
SN may have all along only thought about how she can help Goryeo by being a person with power in the inner courts, but I think ET's words at the end of EP37 triggered her to think of how much more she can do if she is at the highest position and has extreme power.  
She'll be able to place Goryeo people in higher positions within both the inner palace, and the Yuan courts (by influencing TH).  This will lead to her creating a 'little Goryeo' within the Yuan palace (as per the real Empress Ki in history).
Power corrupts the mind.  The more power you have, the more you want of it because you realize how much more you can do with the powers in your hands.  

She knows as long as TH is on her side, she can influence him and his decisions.  If her son eventually becomes Emperor then she will have the ultimate power.
Maybe she didn't mean 'ruling the world' literally, rather she means ruling the world by controlling the people who 'rule' it, TH and Ayu.
Neither MaHa (whether he is or isn't TH's son) nor Ayu are not ideal crown prince canditates in the eyes of the governors.  MaHa is the descendent of a traitor (ET's grandson), and Ayu is not of pure Yuan descend (SN is from Goryeo).  
If ED tries to promote MaHa as crown prince, SN won't let that happen, regardless if she knows his true identity or not.  Right now MaHa is under ED's guardian, if MaHa becomes crown prince, that will be a hinderance to SN's path to becoming Empress, and a plus to ED holding more power. Also, SN knows MaHa is not TH's son.  The only reason why I think SN would not reveal MaHa's true identity to attack ED is that she'll find out he's Byul before she tries to do it.  Besides, she has no evidence now that the nun and Tanasmirky are both dead.  Unless if she keeps El Maid alive, then she has her to be the witness.
If SN knew MaHa is Byul, it would make even more sense that she won't let him be crown prince.  Allowing him to be crown prince means allowing him to be ED's pawn to be used against her.  

CherKell said: LOL I just saw that.  It's been floating around for awhile; I tweeted it a few weeks ago but forgot to put one up on this thread.  I know for a fact his 'people' do not read the Soompi Forums, so I have no idea how he got his hands on a copy.  But it is kinda bizarre these two items appeared a few hours apart.  Great minds think alike! :X

I think it's funny.

1544960_245702515605039_1237129271_n.jpg

Honestly this drama attracts me due to good chemistry between HJW and JCW. It was unexpected for me also. I didn't know who was JCW, and I thought this guy may be just some new average rookie actor. But I was surprised to see his excellent acting. I was laughing so hard when the Emperor acts like a child. I think for the entire drama, the most enjoyable parts to watch are the moments between SN and TH.

Guest critics

After being shaken by ET's farewell speech, ED has just realized how great her opponent could be in the struggle of power in the inner court.  Perhaps she is slowly regretting for allowing LK to shine brightly - letting others witness how capable LK is in handling even imperial court matters. The way she stares LK, it seems she will soon make another move to outsmart the latter (just my own observation).
http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e37-140311-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_003480447.jpg